Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John McDonnell holds the key to the success of Project Corb

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    @GeoffM Many thanks - no wonder she stirred things up a bit.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Don Brind is getting better with his posts.

This time it took me until half way through the second sentence before I thought "Who wrote this shit?"

You can usually tell by the length.

If it's long it's either Don Brind or @antifrank.

At least with @antifrank there's usually tables, statistics and interesting analysis to break up the prose
    Up until now his posts have been prefaced "Don Brind says..." which has become a useful cue to scroll straight past the article and get below the line immediately

This post omitted that helpful guide - presumably intentionally.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MikeK said:

DowHeater ‏@Death2RapeGangs 3m3 minutes ago
    Merkel Greeted As a Traitor With Massive Booing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNZO5fokeE

It would be interesting to hear this from another location - i.e. was the booing centered around the mike. If not, this could have massive political repercussions, not only in Germany ...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Jonathan said:

I saw a comment elsewhere that said "By winning, Corbyn's universe has been shattered".

I thought that was very perceptive - he's having to face reality whether he likes it or not. Dealing with conventions, making compromises, thinking about the views of others on his team, not surrounded by adoring acolytes et al.

As @Richard_Nabavi noted - he may be happier attending pointless protests about Nicaraguan sex workers, than paying respects to Battle of Britain heroes. But that's no longer on offer.

I've given in reading Mr Palmer's posts about Corbyn. I simply don't think they're a credible assessment of anything.

Nick Palmer says:

The initial attack on Corbyn as a dangerous nutter has largely failed - most people accept that he's a nice man, if somewhat in the manner of an absent-minded academic.

I'm sorry Nick but that simply isn't right. I thought Ed decent but out of his depth, Corbyn appears far more sinister.

Nick seems to be constructing a fantasy to self-justify his own decision in voting for Corbyn.

It is disappointing, but only human.

As someone said on here earlier this morning, Corbyn seems finally to be having to come to terms with the adult world, just fifty years later than his contemporaries.
    Isn't that a touch patronising?
    No, I don't think so. Look at his behaviour and what is going on - suddenly he is finding out that the world does not revolve around him and he has to deal with it on other's terms.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Whatever you think of GSTQ, it is going to be belted out at full volume tonight.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I saw a comment elsewhere that said "By winning, Corbyn's universe has been shattered".

I thought that was very perceptive - he's having to face reality whether he likes it or not. Dealing with conventions, making compromises, thinking about the views of others on his team, not surrounded by adoring acolytes et al.

As @Richard_Nabavi noted - he may be happier attending pointless protests about Nicaraguan sex workers, than paying respects to Battle of Britain heroes. But that's no longer on offer.

I've given in reading Mr Palmer's posts about Corbyn. I simply don't think they're a credible assessment of anything.

Nick Palmer says:

The initial attack on Corbyn as a dangerous nutter has largely failed - most people accept that he's a nice man, if somewhat in the manner of an absent-minded academic.

I'm sorry Nick but that simply isn't right. I thought Ed decent but out of his depth, Corbyn appears far more sinister.

Nick seems to be constructing a fantasy to self-justify his own decision in voting for Corbyn.

As someone said on here earlier this morning, Corbyn seems finally to be having to come to terms with the adult world, just fifty years later than his contemporaries.
    No, I don't think so. Look at his behaviour and what is going on - suddenly he is finding out that the world does not revolve around him and he has to deal with it on other's terms.
    I think that's unfair. These guys who have been out in the cold for so long can not be accused of expecting the world to revolve around them. That would seem a more relevant criticism of more established politicians.

• Options
    Of relevance to this piece:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0ab4b852-5c70-11e5-a28b-50226830d644.html#axzz3lsxd04Dv

A bit Panglossian, but Chris Giles has a fair point.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Nick Palmer says:

Whatever the criticisms to be made of Corbyn , I think it is pretty clear that he 'connects' far more easily with people than Milliband ever did .
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

I think that's unfair. These guys who have been out in the cold for so long can not be accused of expecting the world to revolve around them. That would seem a more relevant criticism of more established politicians.

Fair point, but they still have to get used to the concept of compromise and taking others' views into account.
  • Options
    Living in an echo chamber isn't an excuse for ignoring reality when your day job is a politician.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

MikeK said:

DowHeater ‏@Death2RapeGangs 3m3 minutes ago
    Merkel Greeted As a Traitor With Massive Booing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNZO5fokeE

It would be interesting to hear this from another location - i.e. was the booing centered around the mike. If not, this could have massive political repercussions, not only in Germany ...
    Let's not forget Osborne was booed mercilessly at the Olympics! Now how is he doing? :D
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Jonathan said:

Whatever you think of GSTQ, it is going to be belted out at full volume tonight.

Probably not at Corbyn's. He'll be cheering for Fiji.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I think it is pretty clear that he 'connects' far more easily with people than Milliband ever did'' .

There is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever.
  • Options

Most rousing, stirring national anthem by far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w

I prefer the 'Unbreakable union of freeborn republics' version.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015

Incredible reaction as @Nigel_Farage takes the stage in Essex #SayNoEUTour pic.twitter.com/kx3WBiSq5j

— Michael Heaver (@Michael_Heaver) September 17, 2015
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    john_zims said:

@HurstLiama

'The wallpaper phrases, "Most people" and "widely acknowledged" used without a scintilla of evidence rather give the game away. '

Just like his fantasy canvass returns.

If he spins any faster, we could use him as an alternative energy source.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

JEO said:

taffys said:

''With wages rising at about 3% in this sector, why would anyone feel that the current 'plan' isn't working?''

Very good post.

Plus of course if Ozzie is running surpluses by 2020, he'll have plenty of room for juicy tax cuts for low and middle income workers.

We just need Osborne to focus on tax cuts that help the low and middle earners. I always worry about the party's tendency to instead go for headline grabbers on inheritance tax, which is easier to cut because it brings in less money, but the returns go to the better off.
    I think that he has that. Look at the budget.

But I don't believe there will be surpluses by 2020. The proportion of the deficit that was structural just goes up and up. It may even have exceeded the deficit itself. This has made it so much harder to cut. Growth has not produced the revenues expected and I expect it to continue to disappoint. The hole we were in was vast.

If we have a slow down in 2018 which results in the deficit rising again the next election will look very different from the walk in the park it looks at the moment.
    The fundamentals in the PSF figures are relatively good and tax growth is in line with economic growth and jobs growth. The structural deficit has decreased, but not by as much as the government is claiming. The deficit will be about £70bn this year, of which around £20bn can be eliminated with tax yield increases from growth in the next two years. If we entered a recession in 2017/18 as I have pencilled in then we will still have a deficit of around £40bn (£10bn per year in tax yield increases and £5bn per year in cuts). Should that be the case then a shallow recession could see the deficit rise to around £80bn again undoing a lot of the gains of the last 5 years. A deep recession could see us end up back where we were in 2008.

However, if the government are right and we are in a longer period of growth then I think we might be able to eliminate the deficit by 2019/20 as Osborne has backloaded a lot of the cuts so if we do make it to 2018/19 without entering a recession then he (or whoever replaces him) will have to tackle the remnants of the structural deficit.
  • Options

"God Preserve the Tsar" was better still.
  • Options

Living in an echo chamber isn't an excuse for ignoring reality when your day job is a politician.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

I don't see what evidence you have for Corbyn living in an echo chamber. He's just done 100s of public rallies and spoken to 10,000s. They were genuinely public with an open invite, and none were choreographed like they were in the GE campaign.

There are politicians who live in an echo chamber, but it's not him.
  • Options
    We should ask Gareth from Hampstead :wink:
    taffys said:

''I think it is pretty clear that he 'connects' far more easily with people than Milliband ever did'' .

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    SeanT said:

runnymede said:

'most people accept that he's a nice man, if somewhat in the manner of an absent-minded academic'

Always hard to know exactly where the blah blah ends and outright disingenuousness starts with Nick Palmer, isn't it?

No, Palmer is a careerist liar and an egregious hypocrite. Once you finally accept that, all else makes sense.
    It may seem like a glib thing to say, but isn't that the problem Labour is facing at the moment? Everything they have built up as a reason for their continued existence is terminally tainted by lies, cant, hypocrisy, evasion: the reality of the Labour offer is that it is a pile of horse shit. It isn't for the people it is supposed to help. It is there for a self-serving elite who have now been seen through. You just have to look at the way this elite can pooh-pooh the industrial scale rape of the children of one part of their natural base by another part of their natural base to see they are terminally, grotesquely conflicted.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

I don't see what evidence you have for Corbyn living in an echo chamber. He's just done 100s of public rallies and spoken to 10,000s. They were genuinely public with an open invite, and none were choreographed like they were in the GE campaign.

It is an echo chamber if those halls were full of people who shared his views, surely?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    taffys said:

Corby mainly connects with those who are communists either openly or just showing out as hard left.
    He is trying to sell an idea of motherhood and apple pie with a free 50 billion quid thrown in for good measure. Appealing as it may seem, sane people will reject it for what it is.. fantasy politics.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Of relevance to this piece:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0ab4b852-5c70-11e5-a28b-50226830d644.html#axzz3lsxd04Dv

A bit Panglossian, but Chris Giles has a fair point.

This is the problem Corbynomics will have. Plenty of people have never had it so good.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    Farage said this should be introduced and the Tories in here were among those that cried some ist or other... Now it's the law

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/644873267896041472
  • Options
    Oh piffle. Talking to people who agree with you is the ultimate echo chamber. It must be like Owen Jone's Twitter feed.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2015

My favourite drinking song is not that well known. It was written by a Swiss poet who was irritated by the lack of late night drinking establishments in West London. I can't remember it all, but it's something like this:

An Ode to Hereford Square

In Kensington, in Kensington,
    There dwells a race of men
    Unworthy the name
    For, dead to shame,
    They close their pubs at ten!
    They close their pubs at ten, my lad,
    And this is the reason why:
    For there came that way,
    One night in May,
    A lad of Romany

etc etc...

Basically it's about a young gypsy boy who gets the Mayor of Kensington drunk and persuades him to dance around the borough in his chain of office and not much else.

Said Mayor wakes up with a hangover the next morning and decides that clearly late night opening was to blame...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    edited September 2015
    Fwiw, I think Corbyn comes across as more personable than Ed Miliband. But let's face it, we're talking about a pretty low bar.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    To be fair to Don, its not easy trying to tart up the dire position Labour finds itself in.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I don't know much about Anne Coulter but my timeline was rammed with hate about her a couple of days ago.

What happened and is it a fuss about nothing by a washed up media bod?

MTimT said:

One of Peggy Noonan's better articles, and a sad reflection on the state of both US politics and journalism:

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/the-undercard-and-the-mane-event-1442530625-lMyQjAxMTA1ODEyODExMzgxWj

She wrote "fucking Jews" in a tweet. In context, it was because she is fed up with every second phrase in the GOP nominations referencing Israel, Reagan and Obamacare. She wants to hear something new and positive. But it has been spun as anti-Semitic, which it wasn't.
    @Plato_Says ...here it is in context

Ann Coulter ✔ @AnnCoulter
    How many f---ing Jews do these people think there are in the United States?

Ann Coulter ✔ @AnnCoulter
    I like the Jews, I like fetuses, I like Reagan. Didn't need to hear applause lines about them all night.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/09/17/gop-debate-ann-coulter-tweets-about-f-ing-jews/
    That comes over as anti-Semitic to me.
  • Options

taffys said:

Corby mainly connects with those who are communists either openly or just showing out as hard left.
    He is trying to sell an idea of motherhood and apple pie with a free 50 billion quid thrown in for good measure. Appealing as it may seem, sane people will reject it for what it is.. fantasy politics.
    My dad is not a political person at all not a royalist... ex labour now prob UKIP and first thing he said about Corbyn 'Weirdo who wants to get rid of the royal family'
  • Options

JEO said:

taffys said:

''With wages rising at about 3% in this sector, why would anyone feel that the current 'plan' isn't working?''

Very good post.

Plus of course if Ozzie is running surpluses by 2020, he'll have plenty of room for juicy tax cuts for low and middle income workers.

We just need Osborne to focus on tax cuts that help the low and middle earners. I always worry about the party's tendency to instead go for headline grabbers on inheritance tax, which is easier to cut because it brings in less money, but the returns go to the better off.

The focus should definitely be on national insurance. The employer contribution is a simple jobs tax, and we should focus on cutting that rather than corporation tax. The employee contribution is just an unfair additional income tax on the middle earners, hitting right at the point on the income scale where people are thinking about working more.
    Mr. JEO, A thought: if the employers NI is a jobs tax then cutting it would, in theory at least, encourage companies to take on more workers. However, we do not have an employment problem at the moment. We do have a massive productivity problem. Therefore would encouraging firms to take on more low skilled workers rather than invest in plant and technology actually be a good idea?
    You would not be encouraging firms to take on more low skilled workers. You would be encouraging them to take on more mid-skilled workers and paying current workers more than they currently are.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Ed "Talks Human" Miliband? Shurely not?!
    Throughout this protracted contest, throngs of energised Ed Miliband supporters have descended on the various hustings holding placards proclaiming "Ed Speaks Human".
    http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2010/08/david-miliband-balls-candidate

When your supporters have to write something that should be self-evident on a placard - you're in trouble.

Fwiw, I think Corbyn comes across as more personable than Ed Miliband. But let's face it, we're talking about a pretty low bar.

• Options

It's a good article. Corbyn and McDonnell need to do three things, in sequence.

1. Deal with the personal negatives attributed to them (we can debate if they were deserved) to the extent that instinctive Labour-leaning voters feel that they aren't a barrier to voting Labour. It doesn't matter about impressing flightpath or JEO, but Southam and others of siilar mind need to be addressed.
    2. Develop an economic narrative that most people accept is a viable alternative to the current policy. If they think it's great, so much the better, but the key thing is that it's not seen to be riskier than drifting on with the status quo.
    3. Discredit the current Government and offer a better alternative.

Easy as that!

The problem on point 1 is that you can apologise but you cannot undo the past. McDonnell is forever on record saying, "It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table." That cannot be erased and his "apology" won't stop it being rolled out (and it was more of a classic "I'm sorry you idiots were offended" apology - the "if it contributed towards saving one life, or preventing someone else being maimed it was worth doing" was absurd... it didn't, John old pal). And that is far from an isolated example - McDonnell/Corbyn have a lifetime of crass remarks and actions to apologise for.

On point 2, we've heard a lot of Corbynomics already and it isn't credible or viable. Even people like Krugman have only said that they understand why he did well in the contest by refusing to apologise for Labour's record (we know the argument - worldwide crisis; Tories were saying deregulate even more at the time etc). But he hasn't endorsed printing money in a period of reasonable growth because that isn't mainstream neo-Keynsian thought.

On point 3, well yes that's the fundamental aim of an opposition. I think you've missed out the further obstacle of dealing with a hopelessly divided party. There are dozens of Labour MPs, perhaps a majority, who simply don't believe in the project at all and may think it better to lose the next election than win with Corbyn. And they have no strong impulse to keep loyal given Corbyn never rallied round when their wing was in charge.
  • Options

Oh piffle. Talking to people who agree with you is the ultimate echo chamber. It must be like Owen Jone's Twitter feed.

Well I see your piffle and double it. Cameron and co spend their time in a far more cavernous echo chamber.

Meanwhile, the 8 LDs are locked in an anechoic chamber at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
  • Options

1. Deal with the personal negatives attributed to them (we can debate if they were deserved) to the extent that instinctive Labour-leaning voters feel that they aren't a barrier to voting Labour. It doesn't matter about impressing flightpath or JEO, but Southam and others of siilar mind need to be addressed.

I admit that I will never vote for Jeremy Corbyn, but I think I am fair enough to all sides to be impressed and praise people for doing the right thing.

For example, I liked that Corbyn handled PMQs in a more mature manner than leaders on both sides in recent years.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

2. Develop an economic narrative that most people accept is a viable alternative to the current policy. If they think it's great, so much the better, but the key thing is that it's not seen to be riskier than drifting on with the status quo.

(snipped)

Instinctive Labour-leaning voter speaking:
    1. The personal negatives are their very own attributes. Mr Corbyn is a very nice man if you agree with him; so, actually, no: not in my book he isn't. Mr McConnell is a politician and did what the politician had to do; far, far too late. It isn't their competence I doubt; it's their private agenda.

2. You're right. But if there is a better approach, why can't its proponents explain it clearly? I've been trying to get my head round it for 6 years.

3. Discredit your opponent. Never mind whether your opponent is disreputable, as long as you can make people think they are. Funny how that approach works in politics. I understand that it's the first thing that salespeople are warned against.

Sorry, Nick. The scales tipped for me yesterday. As far as I'm concerned, Labour has lost it. Labour's been taken over. Last time round the hard left were fronting for communism. The only consolation is that if the hard left take over the country now, it'll be the religious fundamentalists who'll be barging in after them.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    john_zims said:

@HurstLiama

'The wallpaper phrases, "Most people" and "widely acknowledged" used without a scintilla of evidence rather give the game away. '

Just like his fantasy canvass returns.

the canvass returns I was updating PB with were accurate. I predicted from the figures that not only would the Conservatives maintain their vote from 2010, in the hyper marginal in the north of England, it was evident that there was no swing against the Cons, but if anything a mild swing towards them.
    The majority in that seat tripled.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Nick Palmer says:

Whatever the criticisms to be made of Corbyn , I think it is pretty clear that he 'connects' far more easily with people than Milliband ever did .
    And he disconnects with many many more
  • Options
    Croatia now bussing migrants to Slovenian and Hungarian borders:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34291648
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

It may seem like a glib thing to say, but isn't that the problem Labour is facing at the moment? Everything they have built up as a reason for their continued existence is terminally tainted by lies, cant, hypocrisy, evasion: the reality of the Labour offer is that it is a pile of horse shit. It isn't for the people it is supposed to help. It is there for a self-serving elite who have now been seen through. You just have to look at the way this elite can pooh-pooh the industrial scale rape of the children of one part of their natural base by another part of their natural base to see they are terminally, grotesquely conflicted.

Please tell it like it is. Do not hide behind innuendo and hyperbole.....

:D
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Fraser Nelson ‏@FraserNelson Sep 17
    Why I have finally given up on the left: Nick Cohen's letter of resignation: http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9637452/why-ive-finally-given-up-on-the-left/
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

One might also consider how he had dealt with the press and media - not a man used to having his views questioned perhaps.

Furthermore, did I not read on here that his team are hastily cobbling together a press/PR office. Its as if he felt he would never have to deal with the media except on his own terms, just like he has for the past 32 years and now has discovered that his new job demands rather more compromise with other people's needs and desires.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    isam said:

Farage said this should be introduced and the Tories in here were among those that cried some ist or other... Now it's the law

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/644873267896041472

I'm certainly no lawyer, but it sounds like one of those things that get taken to the ECHR. No idea how likely, at all, or if even possible, a legal challenge would be, but I foresee some loud objections.

Ed was ok, but Corbyn does have a certain appeal. I think the reverse is that Ed was underwhelming, and did put people off, but not reallyin a visceral way - Corbyn blows hotter and colder than Ed, he can engage better, but can also put people off far more effectively.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

FFS. If you cant see it, I dont think anyone can help you.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    *CLAPS*

This needs saying again and again. Until Labour regains its senses and its beliefs, it's done for.

@SouthamObserver and your goodself are spot on. When the likes of Nick Cohen and David Aaronovitch are homeless too - surely the penny will drop? I fear it will take rather too long when some make excuses instead.
    AnneJGP said:

(snipped)

1. The personal negatives are their very own attributes. Mr Corbyn is a very nice man if you agree with him; so, actually, no: not in my book he isn't. Mr McConnell is a politician and did what the politician had to do; far, far too late. It isn't their competence I doubt; it's their private agenda.

2. You're right. But if there is a better approach, why can't its proponents explain it clearly? I've been trying to get my head round it for 6 years.

3. Discredit your opponent. Never mind whether your opponent is disreputable, as long as you can make people think they are. Funny how that approach works in politics. I understand that it's the first thing that salespeople are warned against.

Sorry, Nick. The scales tipped for me yesterday. As far as I'm concerned, Labour has lost it. Labour's been taken over. Last time round the hard left were fronting for communism. The only consolation is that if the hard left take over the country now, it'll be the religious fundamentalists who'll be barging in after them.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited September 2015
    I think the point about echo chambers and rallys makes the point quite clearly. These rallys are people who want to come and hear Corbyn speak. They are already the converted. Life is not quite so easy when he has to convince others.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Dirge, with so many variations, Ives, Haydn, Beethoven, Hendrix, Queen...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen#Musical_adaptations

Wash your mouth out and join in.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=WWmDbMbDZKk

Heil dir im Siegerkranz: had a few problems in August 1914.
  • Options
    notme said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

FFS. If you cant see it, I dont think anyone can help you.
    I just don't see him as particularly unique in this regard. I am not impressed by the openness of other pols.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Dirge, with so many variations, Ives, Haydn, Beethoven, Hendrix, Queen...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen#Musical_adaptations

Wash your mouth out and join in.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=WWmDbMbDZKk

Heil dir im Siegerkranz: had a few problems in August 1914.

Sex Pistols, man!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2015
    taffys said:

Regardless of what you and I might think of some of his views, it is pretty clear to me that a fair number of people do see him as a breath of fresh air and are attracted to his not being a normal politician.
  • Options
    "2. You're right. But if there is a better approach, why can't its proponents explain it clearly? I've been trying to get my head round it for 6 years."

especially as whatever is being done, is clearly working for a decent chunk of the country.

still, something something austerity something Tories something BOOOOOO

(resemblance to a real Labour PPB is strictly coincidental)
  • Options
    PB Tory Echo Chamber.com
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    MikeK said:

Why I have finally given up on the left: Nick Cohen's letter of resignation: http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9637452/why-ive-finally-given-up-on-the-left/

An interesting article. It does seem that the political left's split into a number of factions has already started quietly in the background. Mr Cohen has the advantage of being well known but I doubt his political epiphany is unique.

The next few weeks and months will be interesting.
  • Options
    What I think Nick Cohen has done is give permission to others to say Not In My Name.

I met him years ago and he's no shrinking violet - I never thought I'd read a comment piece like that. I honestly believe that it's Labour/Left that's left him, not the other way round.

MikeK said:

An interesting article. It does seem that the political left's split into a number of factions has already started quietly in the background. Mr Cohen has the advantage of being well known but I doubt his political epiphany is unique.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    JEO said:

I admit that I will never vote for Jeremy Corbyn, but I think I am fair enough to all sides to be impressed and praise people for doing the right thing.

For example, I liked that Corbyn handled PMQs in a more mature manner than leaders on both sides in recent years.

Yes, I didn't mean to criticise you - rather, to say that I don't think a realistic election-winning strategy needs to win you over. I really like some Tories (Ken Clarke, Oliver Letwin), but I'm probably not high on the list of targets to be won over.
  • Options

But the example you gave. An audience of people who come to see him are obviously going to support him. He is their kind of person. There isnt more of them, they are just found someone to rally behind.

The Right (with exceptions) tends not to try and spoil other peoples events. They tend not to go in for pickets and placard. You wont see the Ladies Luncheon committee from Huntingdon Conservative Association marching on the Labour Party Conference.

The people who attended these rallies either are already supporters or a curious enough to want to be supporters. To think that is in anyway representative is to think that the Stop the War coalition was in anyway representative. The 'million' (quarter of a million) people on the streets did not symbolise the feeling of the country.

What symbolised the feeling of the country was the sixty four majority the Prime Minister who took us to war got in the general election two years later.
  • Options
    One that loves our enemies and sucks up to them on Press TV and RT?

Yup - he's not a *normal politician*.
    justin124 said:

taffys said:

Regardless of what you and I might think of some of his views, it is pretty clear to me that a fair number of people do see him as a breath of fresh air and are attracted to his not being a normal politician.
  • Options
    If McDonnell meant it he would have said years ago. No-one is going to fall for what he said yesterday.

Labour has eaten itself.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    This is much more important than all the boring stuff you guys are talking about today:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/times-waitrose-went-way-way-too-far#.bvZyl7Qw7
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    justin124 said:

Sure - until they discover that in terms of obfuscations, spin and U-turns he is a normal (albeit very extreme) politician, as they discovered with Nick Clegg having got suckered in the Cleggasm.
  • Options
    Have just skimmed through the full list of the new Labour Front Bench...

http://order-order.com/2015/09/18/labours-new-frontbench-in-full/#:qy-llLE92i9maA

Stephen Pound??? Shows how low they have had to stoop to fill the posts.

A ministry of no talents.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    There is a contradiction.

(a) it has been reported that Jeremy Corbyn has already been appointed to the Privy Council.

(b) the interviewer the other day told Corbyn that he would have to "kneel in front of the Queen" (or whatever) in order to become a member of the privy Council, to which Corbyn responded that he hadn't been told any such thing and that he would have to check when he received the official paperwork.

Which is true? If he has already been appointed, the kneeling stuff is not necessary; if the kneeling thing is necessary, then the appointment hasn't become effective yet.

Is the stuff about kneeling in front of the Queen just a media fantasy invention?
  • Options

What I think Nick Cohen has done is give permission to others to say Not In My Name.

I met him years ago and he's no shrinking violet - I never thought I'd read a comment piece like that. I honestly believe that it's Labour/Left that's left him, not the other way round.

MikeK said:

Reagan had a great quote:
    "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, The party left me."
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

There is a contradiction.

(a) it has been reported that Jeremy Corbyn has already been appointed to the Privy Council.

(b) the interviewer the other day told Corbyn that he would have to "kneel in front of the Queen" (or whatever) in order to become a member of the privy Council, to which Corbyn responded that he hadn't been told any such thing and that he would have to check when he received the official paperwork.

Which is true? If he has already been appointed, the kneeling stuff is not necessary; if the kneeling thing is necessary, then the appointment hasn't become effective yet.

Is the stuff about kneeling in front of the Queen just a media fantasy invention?

I think he has been invited but hasn't yet taken the oath (or affirmation, in his case).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If McDonnell meant it he would have said years ago. No-one is going to fall for what he said yesterday.

Exactly. He has only apologised now because of his new position, as it would be political suicide to stand by his words. His explanation is frankly ludicrous. I do not believe McDonnell at all. He supports Irish republicanism and gave moral support to the IRA. He's not fit for office. It is a disgrace that the Labour Party has him as a member.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark - well indeed. And yet their voters keep voting for them too.

The low point for me was the PCC/HoCServices who refused to resign. No shame, faux apologies. It was only after extreme pressure that Labour expelled him. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11098786/South-Yorkshire-PCC-Shaun-Wright-finally-resigns-in-the-wake-of-the-Rotherham-child-sex-abuse-scandal.html
    You just have to look at the way this elite can pooh-pooh the industrial scale rape of the children of one part of their natural base by another part of their natural base to see they are terminally, grotesquely conflicted.
  • Options
    Haydn 98 - go to 7.25 on clip.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=449&v=wASHLEuLbzA
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Labour has eaten itself.

He did say something similar years ago... here in 2003

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jun/03/northernireland.labour
  • Options
    glw said:

Exactly. He has only apologised now because of his new position, as it would be political suicide to stand by his words. His explanation is frankly ludicrous. I do not believe McDonnell at all. He supports Irish republicanism and gave moral support to the IRA. He's not fit for office. It is a disgrace that the Labour Party has him as a member.
    It's a ludicrous explanation that doesn't survive even a minute's thought. He claims he supported the IRA to allow them to come to the negotiating table without shame, but he wrote it in 2003 and the Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998.
  • Options
    On another note, I have made too many excuses for Labour in the past. I have told myself that I was not doing it; but I was. I know lots of Labour members, they are friends and they are good people. Much of what they want I want too. I disagree profoundly with Tory policy and will not vote Tory. But you just cannot brush off stuff like Rotherham or the effects of mass immigration on poor communities or what McDonnell said about the IRA or any of the other collective baggage. If you seek to the fact is that you are not fit for office. You have to accept responsibility and you have to do it genuinely and you have to change. Labour is not interested in that.

You know what? Corbyn's win has set a lot of us free. And it feels kinda good.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Sure - until they discover that in terms of obfuscations, spin and U-turns he is a normal (albeit very extreme) politician, as they discovered with Nick Clegg having got suckered in the Cleggasm.
    I think this is a very real danger for Corbyn. He is not as different as some of the new support thinks. Obfuscation, spin, u-turning, this can all be taken too far and be done for bad reasonsm but they develop for a reason, and I have seen nothing in Corbyn to suggest he does not use cliche or spin for example, he just has a different style and his actual positions on some issues are sufficiently different to give the impression that he himself is different (which he may be a little, but not hugely so).

Now, as with all partisans on whatever side, for some he could do everything he and they condemn his enemies for and they will defend it, but others will lose some fervour. He needs to harness that fervour now and have some immediate impact, lest he lose some of that momentum in the grubbiness of actually doing things, not just saying things.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    kle4 said:

Which brings us to what Don Brine should actually have written.

John McDonnell holds the key to the success of Project Corbyn. Because it will be a symbolic turning point when Corbyn fires him.

.. and appoints Liz Kendall as Shadow Chancellor.
    Exactly, that would be the move.

But as far as I can tell, Jeremy Corbyn is no Alexis Tsipras.
    Corbyn will hope he doesn't face Tsipras' choice - memorably put as deciding whether he was a madman or a charlatan, and deciding on charlatan, as he folded.
    Jonathan said:

Nick Palmer says:

It is, but that doesn't mean it is incorrect. (it doesn't mean it definitely is correct either, to be fair, but merely being patronising does not invalidate an idea - thank goodness, or 75% points on here would have to be disregarded :) )
    Christ, can you drop the 'independent' adjudicator act. It gets really tiring.
  • Options
    JEO said:
    I don't see why. It sounds as though the guy has extremely relevant expertise.
  • Options
    The Anacreontic Song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-n64NWHS4
  • Options
    notme said:

MikeK said:

Reagan had a great quote:
    "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, The party left me."
    Doesnt quite explain how he ended up a hard-right ideologue.
    And Cohen has been about as lefty as you are for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    Excellent

Will Roberts @will_roberts_96

You know you're in Waitrose when the breaded haddock ticket is in Latin
    rcs1000 said:

This is much more important than all the boring stuff you guys are talking about today:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/times-waitrose-went-way-way-too-far#.bvZyl7Qw7

• Options

On another note, I have made too many excuses for Labour in the past. I have told myself that I was not doing it; but I was. I know lots of Labour members, they are friends and they are good people. Much of what they want I want too. I disagree profoundly with Tory policy and will not vote Tory. But you just cannot brush off stuff like Rotherham or the effects of mass immigration on poor communities or what McDonnell said about the IRA or any of the other collective baggage. If you seek to the fact is that you are not fit for office. You have to accept responsibility and you have to do it genuinely and you have to change. Labour is not interested in that.

You know what? Corbyn's win has set a lot of us free. And it feels kinda good.

That is a very honest post - and I can see exactly where you are coming from.

Those who are now Corbyn-apologists are going to have to have a much harder job when their new idol falls. As someone said the other day, political gravity can be very painful.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

'most people accept that he's a nice man, if somewhat in the manner of an absent-minded academic'

Always hard to know exactly where the blah blah ends and outright disingenuousness starts with Nick Palmer, isn't it?

No, Palmer is a careerist liar and an egregious hypocrite. Once you finally accept that, all else makes sense.
    I think the story that white girls are less important, less precious, and deserve less protection than Asian girls, from pedophile rapists, ACCORDING TO THE COURTS, has finally tipped me over the edge.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/sep/17/asian-child-sex-victims-suffer-more-than-white-children-court-rules

I despise Labour, and all the poisonous, evil, multiculti white-hating racist shit that they have dragged into our lives. I want Labour to die now. And if everyone involved with it accidentally gets a disfiguring plague, even as their party expires, great. It appears that Mister Corbyn and his supporters loathe me and my people and my country, well I loathe them right back. I will do anything to see them defeated, and humiliated, forever.

Good afternoon.
    Stop virtue signalling you massive fanny.
  • Options
    isam said:

Labour has eaten itself.

Seems to me that in that article he is justifying what he said, not saying sorry for the offence that it might have caused.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

I think the story that white girls are less important, less precious, and deserve less protection than Asian girls, from pedophile rapists, ACCORDING TO THE COURTS, has finally tipped me over the edge.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/sep/17/asian-child-sex-victims-suffer-more-than-white-children-court-rules

I despise Labour, and all the poisonous, evil, multiculti white-hating racist shit that they have dragged into our lives. I want Labour to die now. And if everyone involved with it accidentally gets a disfiguring plague, even as their party expires, great. It appears that Mister Corbyn and his supporters loathe me and my people and my country, well I loathe them right back. I will do anything to see them defeated, and humiliated, forever.

Good afternoon.
    What struck me as particularly horrific about this latest outrage is that the perpetrator was Asian himself. This completely changes things.

People on here last night tried to compare it with an assault on an Asian man because he was a "Paki" being worse than an assault on a white man with no racial motive as it was "racially aggravated"... I think that is bollocks too, but the sinister thing about this case is the conclusion that Asian children are more affected by sexual abuse than white* children, whoever the perpetrator

It fits too neatly with the "White trash" meme so evident in Rotherham

So this isn't "racially aggravated" it's just that Asian kids are more precious

*EDIT black children would probably be treated as less worthy too.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Nick Palmer said -

1. Deal with the personal negatives attributed to them (we can debate if they were deserved) to the extent that instinctive Labour-leaning voters feel that they aren't a barrier to voting Labour. It doesn't matter about impressing flightpath or JEO, but Southam and others of siilar (sic) mind need to be addressed.

1. They are who they are, said what they've said, and believe what they believe. The only way to 'deal' with it is to lie or dissemble. Don't lie about your beliefs and principles.

2. In essence, come up with something - anything - that will oppose the government's policy. What about principles, beliefs, guiding ideas? This is the equivalent of writing a book of fiction. It's a morals free, belief free, principle free zone: if we can get people to believe it's viable, it doesn't matter what it is.

3. having abandoned your soul and principles to come up with a policy, you now lie about your opponents and do whatever you have to to discredit them.

The abandonment of everything you value and believe in is now complete.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

(snipped)

When did you last vote Labour out of curiosity?
    Do you really think the policies being suggested by the current lot are hard left?
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    What struck me as particularly horrific about this latest outrage is that the perpetrator was Asian himself. This completely changes things.

People on here last night tried to compare it with an assault on an Asian man because he was a "Paki" being worse than an assault on a white man with no racial motive as it was "racially aggravated"... I think that is bollocks too, but the sinister thing about this case is the conclusion that Asian children are more affected by sexual abuse than white* children, whoever the perpetrator

It fits too neatly with the "White trash" meme so evident in Rotherham

So this isn't "racially aggravated" it's just that Asian kids are more precious

*EDIT black children would probably be treated as less worthy too.
    That judgement is utterly, utterly wrong. The judges should be removed from the bench immediately.

But it won't happen.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    Well you got one half right. Sean wanting to see Labour and all the other socialist scum defeated, humiliated and destroyed is certainly a virtuous ambition.
  • Options
    Star Spangled Banner - a short history in music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOw7BVirDjo&list=PLEHDlXUvHWwIM0i9ZQSnCGWbFH5PgzS9l

Have only heard clips, will listen to whole thing later.

But what links Offenbach with the US Marine Corps?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    http://www.jonathanarnott.co.uk/2015/09/cameron-blasted-over-payment-of-1-7bn-eu-bill/
    Cameron still loves the EU
    Who would disagree that Cameron is more europhile than his party?
  • Options

isam said:

Labour has eaten itself.

Seems to me that in that article he is justifying what he said, not saying sorry for the offence that it might have caused.

Yes, sorry he didn't apologise in that article. I meant he used the same justification
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    Well you got one half right. Sean wanting to see Labour and all the other socialist scum defeated, humiliated and destroyed is certainly a virtuous ambition.
    Wow. Extraordinary.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    Wow.
    Don't be surprised. I hold that level of scorn and contempt for lefties all the time. It is only occasionally I like to put down a marker to reflect just how much I detest you.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    Wow.
    Don't be surprised. I hold that level of scorn and contempt for lefties all the time. It is only occasionally I like to put down a marker to reflect just how much I detest you.
    Well that can't be healthy mate.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    JWisemannChrist, can you drop the 'independent' adjudicator act. It gets really tiring.

I have no idea what you mean. I lean in various directions politically which I do not conceal but am open to other sides, I certainly favoured Cameron over Ed but was consistent for 5 years I thought Ed would win and would do ok as PM as an example, as I think it is reasonable to try to see all sides of a debate in almost all circumstances.

What exactly irritates you that I might strive for a more nuanced position than pathetic over the top partisan rants? Others are far better at crafting entertaining examples of that than I. And while it is certainly true that not every answer is to be found in the middle of two extremes, sometimes the answer is indeed closer to one than the other, and so an attempt to balance in the centre may on occasion be as misguided as sticking to an extreme, my personal view is it is a good starting point. That may not be your view, but with as much respect as I feel your rudeness still deserves, I can present my own views however I wish, it is not some act to amuse or irritate you, I am just a weird political anorak.

I guess I should just ignore your one sided partisan whinges from now on, rather than consider them and acknowledge where they raise decent points? I don't really see that as a healthy attitude personally. What if you said something worthwhile?

I have rarely been so astounded as receiving a complaint for attempting some kind of measured approach, however misguided someone thinks it is.

I'd say I won't take anything you say seriously every again, except that I will, as I still do to the few posters who, regrettably even if I felt provoked, I have exchanged rude messages to on occasion (in particular messrs malcomG, Dair and SeanT).

I guess I shouldn't do that either? What a peculiar attitude.

To conclude, if you are still reading (and you are of course under no obligation to care what I think), if my 'Act' irritates you, please just ignore me.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about Cameron's options - and to be honest, I'm not sure he could've campaigned for Leave even if he wanted to.

There's nowhere to go, if your PM is for BOO - for the electorate to have an option - he has to back Stay for any concessions to be made at all.
    Who would disagree that Cameron is more europhile than his party?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Fair enough (Kle4).
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

runnymede said:

Good afternoon.
    Wow.
    Well that can't be healthy mate.
    Not at all. Scorning lefties is an entertainment these days. Akin to swatting flies when they get too annoying.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    Evertime I read something that tries to put a brave face on Corbyn, I cannot stop thinking about the description of polishing a turd.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Another two hats

Mark Denten @BBCMarkDenten
    Newcastle Central's @ChiOnwurah becomes a shadow Business minister and will also speak on culture matters...
  • Options
    I dont hate 'Righties', I just think their ideas will lead us to destruction. If I'm wrong, then brilliant.
    Doesn't mean the state of some of the discourse on here doesnt get my blood pressure up though (I might have to stop for my own mental health soon, which Im sure will be met with horror).
    Detesting isn't good for you, though.