Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even Michael Foot had net positive opening MORI ratings. Ho

Comments

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

JEO said:

SeanT said:

Some truth there. The difference with Corbyn is that the press doesn't HAVE to make stuff up or develop misleading narratives blah de blah, because Corbyn really IS an extremist nutter, and he really DID appoint a Shadow Chancellor who honours the IRA, and so on.

Let's take the Bin laden's death-is-a-tragedy thing. No one denies he said it (and on Iran's Press TV, too, but let's leave that aside). The Corbynite complaint is that Jeremy was taken out of context, and when you listen to more of his remarks, he meant Bin Laden's execution was a tragedy because he should have been arrested and tried.

But then, if you do indeed listen to the rest of Corbyn's remarks on that show, you first hear Jezbollah allege that the entire death was "staged", Bin Laden died years before, after which, a few seconds later, Corbyn goes on to change his mind entirely and say that the death was a tragedy "like 9/11" - two remarks which prove that Corbyn is possibly mad, and certainly a monumental idiot with terrible judgement.

That's no spin. It is the case.

Very often it is fact. Civilians do get hurt and killed when Assad bombs the rebels. Putin is no doubt helping the rebels in the Donbass. Some (few it seems) of the migrants are fleeing danger rather than seeking a better life. There are racist Ukip supporters. There are nasty cybernats. The misleading element comes in when there's a total omission of valid and pertinent facts on the other side of the argument.

As for Corbyn's views on the death of Bin Laden, I believe much of what America has done in its leadership of the world will only unfold and dawn upon the wider public over the coming years and decades. A bit of pantomime over killing Bin Laden is a comparatively mild accusation.

What do you think are the less mild accusations of what has been done by America that the wide public has not dawned upon yet?
    I think they've used and cultivated terrorism as a weapon of war. I think they've embarked upon a strategy of wilfully destabilising nation states and balkanising regions for their own strategic gain. I think their corporations have undermined our public health, and rotted our brains. Is that enough for an appetiser?

I would also like to state that I love Americans - every one I've met to a person has been charming. And I admire many attributes of America. I see America like Pandora's box in that respect. It causes problems but at the same time it offers hope.
    Can you give some examples of when they have "used and cultivated terrorism"?

I think everyone accepts they have destabilised some states, like North Korea and Afghanistan. That doesn't mean it's illegitimate.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Didn't @tyson say he'd never be friends with a Tory on principle?

surbiton said:

I had to laugh earlier when a very vocal Corbyn supporter in my circle of friends posted that it was clear that the new Shadow Cabinet was so packed with women and that Health and Education were the top jobs in Corbyn's eyes.

I didn't have the heart to point out that he appointed someone he had never met to be Shadow Education Secretary (and then only after she had turned down the first job because she wanted to do something with child care) - and the new Shadow Health Secretary is someone who was a complete unknown (even to most of her constituents)

If those jobs are so important and so central to his vision, why not appoint women with a track record on delivering in the House and in the media?

The depths to which the Corbyn apologists are having to plumb in order to justify their man's actions is quite frankly ludicrous. And we are only in week 1.

You actually have friends who support Corbyn ? Surprisingly, SeanT also has "leftie" friends. Ihave always wondered why they have him as a friend ?

I am in the Labour Party since 1979 [ barring 2003 - 2007 ] and am on the left of the party and I do not know anyone.
    Perhaps because only absolute idiots vet their friends for political allegiance before becoming friends with them?

"Sorry, before we go out for a drink I'd just like you to answer me a few questions. Firstly, are you a peace-loving Corbynite superior being, a baby-eating evil Tory, or some other form of lowlife slug?"

Some of the best political conversations I've had in my life were with lefty friends who, using both knowledge and passion, challenged my positions.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

THEM!

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

As for the Corbyn biopic?

Back to the Future.

Or

The Bland that Time Forgot.

Or

The Guy Who Got Kicked in the Hornet's Nest
    Band of Others
  • Options

I don't know. I'd like to hope he didn't.

As an aside, there was an example of this on the R5L phone-in a few years ago. There was a teacher's strike, and a parent phoned in saying he was going to keep his child away from school. He said that even if the school opened, he'd disown his son if he crossed a picket line to get to school.

In other words: a man who would disown his son for going to school to get an education ...
  • Options

THEM!

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

Trouble in Paradise

Happy Valley

Dad's Barmy
  • Options
    There's been an awful lot of churching in an historic period of change.Politics in 21st century is very volatile.Labour starts on a solid base and popular policies,like removing the market in education,can reach the voters on education.Once the policies become clearer,there is an increased salesforce of 62,000 extra women and men who have joined the Labour party since Jeremy Corbyn was elected.Voter registration is the place to start.
  • Options
    JEO said:

I think everyone accepts they have destabilised some states, like North Korea and Afghanistan. That doesn't mean it's illegitimate.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/19/how-the-us-helped-create-al-qaeda-and-isis/

'The director of the National Security Agency under Ronald Reagan, General William Odom recently remarked, “by any measure the U.S. has long used terrorism. In 1978-79 the Senate was trying to pass a law against international terrorism – in every version they produced, the lawyers said the U.S. would be in violation.”'
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

FPT:

In 5 years time, it is possible - no more than that - that those who have gone from Minimum Wage to Living Wage will have seen a material rise in disposable income - and might be prepared to believe that the Tories are now the party to look out for the working poor...

It depends on whether the WC do find that the 'living wage' is indeed a 'living wage' and have that disposable income. In any case, the trouble for the Conservatives in Labour's Northern heartlands has always been a brand issue; one created in the 1980s, that has since refused to budge.
    The northern heartlands are a few big cities - way less important than the whole of southern England - and more so given the loss of Scotland, decline in Wales, and in many small towns all over the country. Labour are getting closer and closer to the last redoubts.
  • Options

I remain amazed that Corbyn's leadership ambitions didn't go straight to DVD. If his reign was a movie - what would be most appropriate?

ITV 4?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

We are getting a voting intention poll tonight from ComRes:

http://ind.pn/1PbXn67

Those supplementaries look fun.

Tonight we will probably know whether Corbyn has even a micro-chance of winning in 2020. If the Tories and tabloids, aided by Labour disloyalists, have already and successfully painted Corbyn as a danger to security, lover of ISIS etc, then the man is finished before he is started. Almost impossible to shake such an image off.

Quite a crucial poll, then.
    I know you dislike Corbyn (maybe everyone to the left of hitler?) but if the above is true, do you think it's a good thing that media owned by a few tax exiles and foreigners should have such overpowering ability to dictate what is acceptable in this country? If you look at it objectively, rather than in the narrow sense of 'good for your side'?
    In this internet age nobody owns the media any longer.
    That's why the BBC will have to change model - as everyone else has done already.
    Older voters still read the papers. Everyone is exposed to at least some TV and radio. All of these outlets have been uniformly and relentlessly hostile to Corbyn, yet he represents the second largest party in the country. That is the behaviour of a banana republic.
    Or perhaps they are telling the truth? After all, he did say what he been accused of.

Or perhaps you want teh papers to tell lies about what he said?
  • Options
    I think it was @welshowl on a FPT that calculated Labour would lose Wales.
    felix said:

FPT:

In 5 years time, it is possible - no more than that - that those who have gone from Minimum Wage to Living Wage will have seen a material rise in disposable income - and might be prepared to believe that the Tories are now the party to look out for the working poor...

It depends on whether the WC do find that the 'living wage' is indeed a 'living wage' and have that disposable income. In any case, the trouble for the Conservatives in Labour's Northern heartlands has always been a brand issue; one created in the 1980s, that has since refused to budge.
    The northern heartlands are a few big cities - way less important than the whole of southern England - and more so given the loss of Scotland, decline in Wales, and in many small towns all over the country. Labour are getting closer and closer to the last redoubts.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I had to laugh earlier when a very vocal Corbyn supporter in my circle of friends posted that it was clear that the new Shadow Cabinet was so packed with women and that Health and Education were the top jobs in Corbyn's eyes.

I didn't have the heart to point out that he appointed someone he had never met to be Shadow Education Secretary (and then only after she had turned down the first job because she wanted to do something with child care) - and the new Shadow Health Secretary is someone who was a complete unknown (even to most of her constituents)

If those jobs are so important and so central to his vision, why not appoint women with a track record on delivering in the House and in the media?

The depths to which the Corbyn apologists are having to plumb in order to justify their man's actions is quite frankly ludicrous. And we are only in week 1.

You actually have friends who support Corbyn ? Surprisingly, SeanT also has "leftie" friends. Ihave always wondered why they have him as a friend ?

I am in the Labour Party since 1979 [ barring 2003 - 2007 ] and am on the left of the party and I do not know anyone.
    Rather telling last few sentences.
  • Options

Armageddon.

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Asshole of the Bailey

All Leechers Great and Small
  • Options
    felix said:

FPT:

And Labour local authorities are pleased with the opportunities the tories are giving them. The inner cities may stay Labour but the mood may well seep out to the suburbs and beyond that the mood will consolidate the tores.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Tonight we will probably know whether Corbyn has even a micro-chance of winning in 2020. If the Tories and tabloids, aided by Labour disloyalists, have already and successfully painted Corbyn as a danger to security, lover of ISIS etc, then the man is finished before he is started. Almost impossible to shake such an image off.

I know you dislike Corbyn (maybe everyone to the left of hitler?) but if the above is true, do you think it's a good thing that media owned by a few tax exiles and foreigners should have such overpowering ability to dictate what is acceptable in this country? If you look at it objectively, rather than in the narrow sense of 'good for your side'?
    That's why the BBC will have to change model - as everyone else has done already.
    Older voters still read the papers. Everyone is exposed to at least some TV and radio. All of these outlets have been uniformly and relentlessly hostile to Corbyn, yet he represents the second largest party in the country. That is the behaviour of a banana republic.
    Or perhaps they are telling the truth? After all, he did say what he been accused of.

Or perhaps you want teh papers to tell lies about what he said?
    They tell half a truth. They denounce Corbyn's links with Muslim undesirables but take little issue with our own Government and establishment's close personal and strategic ties with the awful regime in KSA - which happens to be the world's number 1 sponsor of Islamic extremism and terror. That half a truth leads Corbyn to be (perhaps deservedly) loathed, but others to get away with behaviour that puts British people in danger. That is propaganda and deserves to be condemned.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

surbiton said:

Perhaps because only absolute idiots vet their friends for political allegiance before becoming friends with them?

"Sorry, before we go out for a drink I'd just like you to answer me a few questions. Firstly, are you a peace-loving Corbynite superior being, a baby-eating evil Tory, or some other form of lowlife slug?"

Some of the best political conversations I've had in my life were with lefty friends who, using both knowledge and passion, challenged my positions.
    Wait, how did you find out the secret question for the PB Tory interview process? :o
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@afneil: Latest GDP estimates show UK and US economies have both grown by circa 13.5% since 2009 post-crash nadir.

What about Manufacturing output, Brillopad ?
    Labour killed it.
  • Options
    Just been polled by IPSOS Mori.

Obviously I gave my opinion, but one observation: for your new leader, the few things the pollee knows will fill the gap.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

SeanT said:

Some truth there. The difference with Corbyn is that the press doesn't HAVE to make stuff up or develop misleading narratives blah de blah, because Corbyn really IS an extremist nutter, and he really DID appoint a Shadow Chancellor who honours the IRA, and so on.

But then, if you do indeed listen to the rest of Corbyn's remarks on that show, you first hear Jezbollah allege that the entire death was "staged", Bin Laden died years before, after which, a few seconds later, Corbyn goes on to change his mind entirely and say that the death was a tragedy "like 9/11" - two remarks which prove that Corbyn is possibly mad, and certainly a monumental idiot with terrible judgement.

That's no spin. It is the case.

Very often it is fact. Civilians do get hurt and killed when Assad bombs the rebels. Putin is no doubt helping the rebels in the Donbass. Some (few it seems) of the migrants are fleeing danger rather than seeking a better life. There are racist Ukip supporters. There are nasty cybernats. The misleading element comes in when there's a total omission of valid and pertinent facts on the other side of the argument.

As for Corbyn's views on the death of Bin Laden, I believe much of what America has done in its leadership of the world will only unfold and dawn upon the wider public over the coming years and decades. A bit of pantomime over killing Bin Laden is a comparatively mild accusation.

What do you think are the less mild accusations of what has been done by America that the wide public has not dawned upon yet?
    I think they've used and cultivated terrorism as a weapon of war. I think they've embarked upon a strategy of wilfully destabilising nation states and balkanising regions for their own strategic gain. I think their corporations have undermined our public health, and rotted our brains. Is that enough for an appetiser?

I would also like to state that I love Americans - every one I've met to a person has been charming. And I admire many attributes of America. I see America like Pandora's box in that respect. It causes problems but at the same time it offers hope.
    Please - leave him to his own deranged ramblings.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited September 2015

I've had at least one, and possibly more, girl say that they couldn't date me because of my political beliefs.

Ok, so the one was a bit crazy and it turned out was involved in an affair with a married man, but still ...

We did have a *great* conversation when I revealed that I'd actually grown up on one of the old UK colonies, making me about the representation of pretty much every thing she campaigned against. YAY.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

JEO said:

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/19/how-the-us-helped-create-al-qaeda-and-isis/

'The director of the National Security Agency under Ronald Reagan, General William Odom recently remarked, “by any measure the U.S. has long used terrorism. In 1978-79 the Senate was trying to pass a law against international terrorism – in every version they produced, the lawyers said the U.S. would be in violation.”'
    I'd be disappointed and nervous if they hadn't.
    I'm completely easy with it.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Tim_B said:

THEM!

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

Band of Others
    One Flew Into the Cuckoo's Nest?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

JEO said:

You'd be disappointed and nervous if they hadn't created Al Qaeda?

It's a view.
  • Options
    I'm glad to say I haven't experienced myself - but then again until very recently I've never really mentioned it.

Thinking hard about it - I'd really pushed to think of anyone I'd not be friends with because of their politics. It strikes me as a bit peculiar to be honest.

I've had at least one, and possibly more, girl say that they couldn't date me because of my political beliefs.

Ok, so the one was a bit crazy and it turned out was involved in an affair with a married man, but still ...

We did have a *great* conversation when I revealed that I'd actually grown up on one of the old UK colonies, making me about the representation of pretty much every thing she campaigned against. YAY.
  • Options

There's been an awful lot of churching in an historic period of change.Politics in 21st century is very volatile.Labour starts on a solid base and popular policies,like removing the market in education,can reach the voters on education.Once the policies become clearer,there is an increased salesforce of 62,000 extra women and men who have joined the Labour party since Jeremy Corbyn was elected.Voter registration is the place to start.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'removing the market in education', but I think that you'll find denying parents choice over which school their children go to would be extremely unpopular, especially amongst a particular type of Labour supporter.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

How about "Honey, I shrunk my Votes" or "Home Alone part 2 - the Shadow Cabinet"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

If there is one thing Labour is completely inept at, it is knifing a leader quickly.

Combined with their labyrinthine selection procedure, the 4-5 available for Corbyn to still be leader on Jan 1st 2017 looks a great bet to me:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/jeremy-corbyn-specials

They are increasingly good at quickly selecting an inept leader...
    Labour have only had 18 years of losing seats at GE's.... A remarkable record.
    The Tories had 18 years of losing seats at GE's pre 2001 when they picked IDS, if it was not for Scotland Miliband would have made a handful of net gains like Hague did
    Actually 14 years for the Conservatives since 1983 to 97. Labour have lost seats (net) at every GE since 1997 up to 2015 an 18 year period. Or if we start in the year of the first GE with a loss, it is 10 years for the Conservatives and 13 years (so far) for Labour. Either way it is the worst period post WW2 for either major party. With Corbyn going to pile on the losses.
    Actually 14 years for Labour too then from 2001 to 2015. Labour did not lose any seats from 1997-2001 so those years do not count. Your third sentence does not make sense. (Of course the Tories also lost a seat at the Romsey by-election from 1997-2001, so Labour would have to lose a by-election under Corbyn to do as badly)
    Labour have lost (net) seats at every GE for 4 consecutive GEs. 01,05,10,15 that is four in a row.
    Conservatives lost net seats at GEs for 3 consecutive GEs 87,92 and 97.
    Was it pre WW2 when either of these parties had an equal or worse record than 4 GEs in a row?

Of course Labour look like adding a 5th GE to their record.
    The Tories though lost seats in by elections from 1983 to 1987 and 1992 to 1997 while Labour did not lose a single seat in by elections from 1997 to 2001. Outside Scotland Ed Miliband gained more seats in 2015 than Hague did in 2001
    Labour gained something in the order of 12 or so seats from the LDs. The LDs got wiped out not least by the Tories.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Surely:"Madness of King Jeremy"
  • Options

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

It's a view.
    It's a view that they 'created' something which wasn't there under other names already. Grow up.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Still good enough though, at or above trend growth. The problem for the US is that they haven't been able to balance the budget either. While we have a tenuous plan to do so at the end of the current cycle, the US has no plan at all. In 2020 they are still in deficit by about 2.5% of GDP while Osborne says he wants to have a surplus at the same point in time.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

The Guardian and the Mirror have certainly not been uniformly hostile to Corbyn, nor has the BBC. Voters make up their own minds, a voter in Hartlepool unprompted on Newsnight last week said 'if Corbyn cannot look after his own appearance why should he be trusted to look after the country' that said it all, and that was in a Labour seat

Remember under the Hague/IDS years only really the Telegraph and Mail were hostile to Blair and kept the Tory flag flying, the situation is reversed now with very few but solid Labour papers hostile to Cameron
    Oh come on. Even the Guardian, Independent and Mirror are running overwhelmingly anti-Corbyn coverage, as is the supposedly impartial BBC. It's an elite stitch-up. Plurality of opinion until its something outside of approved topics.

During the IDS years Murdoch's papers supported Blair but they didn't support the Labour Party at large, and they certainly didn't attack IDS & Hague like they are doing to Corbyn. So it's a completely false equivalence.

• Options
    Good evening, everyone.

FPT: Mr. Dair, although I'm going to set about the pre-race piece, I shan't mention the qualifying result.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'removing the market in education', but I think that you'll find denying parents choice over which school their children go to would be extremely unpopular, especially amongst a particular type of Labour supporter.
    Diane Abbott, for one.
  • Options
    Carry On Jezza
    Omnium said:

• Options

Good evening, everyone.

FPT: Mr. Dair, although I'm going to set about the pre-race piece, I shan't mention the qualifying result.

Good - it's not on TV here until 1am tomorrow, 6 hours before the race.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

It isn't you. It's your position on PFI.
  • Options
    And almost everyone who writes for the Guardian
    GeoffM said:

TudorRose said:

Diane Abbott, for one.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

How about "Honey, I shrunk my Votes" or "Home Alone part 2 - the Shadow Cabinet"
    One of our dinosaurs is missing
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

62,000 new members of the labour party since Corbyn was elected leader? that's significant if its on top of the 100,000ish that joined between the GE and the leadership vote. I'm not doubting you but can you provide a link to the sores?

I don't know a huge amount about the Labour party's internal working, but I'm courase as to how significantly and how quickly all these new, mostly hard left members will change the party. i.e. gain power in the NEC and in CLPs, so that it becomes harder for a new more moderate leader to move back to the centre?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

It's a view.
    It's a view that they 'created' something which wasn't there under other names already. Grow up.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf
    You think people sleep peacefully in their beds because of Al Qaeda. Batshit doesn't cover it.
  • Options
    LOL
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    edited September 2015

I didn't have the heart to point out that he appointed someone he had never met to be Shadow Education Secretary ...

Like Surbiton I'm a bit puzzled by this. Is your friend so senior that you'd expect him to have met everyone in the Shadow Cabinet personally?

On the thread discussion - it's a sad life if one only meets people of like mind. It gets a bit difficult if you have friends who you like who reveal an opinion that you think is really disgusting. You have to weigh up everything you like about them against the latest information and decide whether that changes your view or not.

I have a very old friend who normally votes Tory (yeah, well...) but once once voted BNP in a Euro-election. He's generous, amiable and not necessarily narrow-minded, but he felt immigration wasn't getting enough discussion so he wanted to send a message. I swallowed hard and accepted it. In turn he accepts my views, which maybe is hard for him too.

But an impact of social media is that we're more and more selecting news sources of doubtful integrity which tell us things we like, so the common basis of supposed knowledge which TV news still provides is starting to ebb away. People have always disagreed on opinions, but people are increasingly (?) disagreeing on the facts - "I know this is true as several people on Twitter said it".
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    edited September 2015

Carry On Jezza

Omnium said:

Actually there's an obscure film called 'Collosus - the Forbin Project'

So I offer 'Collosal mistake - the Corbyn Project'
  • Options
    BigRich said:

62,000 new members of the labour party since Corbyn was elected leader? that's significant if its on top of the 100,000ish that joined between the GE and the leadership vote. I'm not doubting you but can you provide a link to the sores?

I don't know a huge amount about the Labour party's internal working, but I'm courase as to how significantly and how quickly all these new, mostly hard left members will change the party. i.e. gain power in the NEC and in CLPs, so that it becomes harder for a new more moderate leader to move back to the centre?
    And, of course, it's impossible at this stage to tell how many people have 'left' the Labour party since last weekend. Some might have gone to the trouble of handing back their membership cards but I imagine most will just withdraw when their current membership runs out (or wait until corbyn is replaced).
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

It's a view.

You think people sleep peacefully in their beds because of Al Qaeda. Batshit doesn't cover it.
    You are delightfully and entertainingly insane.
    I hope that your carer keeps sharp objects away from you.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

I am sorry to tell you there is already Home Alone parts 2, 3, and 4. I think it is fair to say that they get progressively worse so Home Alone part 5 is a real possibility.
  • Options

It isn't you. It's your position on PFI.
    That could almost be a direct quote :/
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Older voters have this thing called 'experience'. They're not the mindless sheeple you seem to believe.
  • Options
    Political Academy 8?
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

I am sorry to tell you there is already Home Alone parts 2, 3, and 4. I think it is fair to say that they get progressively worse so Home Alone part 5 is a real possibility.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2015

Corbyn's sin comprises none of that resume; he is simply guilty of doing things in a way in which the current establishment does not approve.

The campaign of vilification against UKIP and Nigel Farage was just the same. As was (though less vicious) the campaign against Scottish independence.

So has been the case for 'Putin' and whichever 'regime' (they become a regime when we dislike them) we don't like at any point.

Most recently, we've seen this appalling propaganda machine turned to serve the purpose of overrunning Europe with migrants. Why?

The propaganda always operates the same way:
    -Show the 'truth' of one side, but leave to one side facts and developments that don't suit the agenda
    -Scream accusations and demand action before the facts have been established, and drop the story like a hot brick when it develops and nuances become apparent.
    -Treat said accusations as accepted fact from that point on and refer to them as such later

Some of the recent media causes I personally approve of, some I do not, but I recognise that I can't disapprove of it when it's against me, but have a sly chuckle and enjoy it when it's turned against someone else. It would be nice if others did the same.

Your analysis of propaganda is spot on. I have to constantly and consciously remind myself of this in following US politics - if I am to have any chance at a balanced and informed view I must ensure that I read the other side's version of truth too, and to be able honestly to recognize when my side is using these tactics.

That said, while finding much of the Corbyn stuff overblown and some of it unwise, I do find it fun, fully realizing this is somewhat hypocritical given I would be annoyed were the shoe on the other foot.
  • Options

I didn't have the heart to point out that he appointed someone he had never met to be Shadow Education Secretary ...

Like Surbiton I'm a bit puzzled by this. Is your friend so senior that you'd expect him to have met everyone in the Shadow Cabinet personally?

On the thread discussion - it's a sad life if one only meets people of like mind. It gets a bit difficult if you have friends who you like who reveal an opinion that you think is really disgusting. You have to weigh up everything you like about them against the latest information and decide whether that changes your view or not.

I have a very old friend who normally votes Tory (yeah, well...) but once once voted BNP in a Euro-election. He's generous, amiable and not necessarily narrow-minded, but he felt immigration wasn't getting enough discussion so he wanted to send a message. I swallowed hard and accepted it. In turn he accepts my views, which maybe is hard for him too.

But an impact of social media is that we're more and more selecting news sources of doubtful integrity which tell us things we like, so the common basis of supposed knowledge which TV news still provides is starting to ebb away. People have always disagreed on opinions, but people are increasingly (?) disagreeing on the facts - "I know this is true as several people on Twitter said it".
    My point, and I should have been clearer in this, is that Corbyn appointed a Shadow Education Secretary whom HE had never met. Lucy Powell was absolutely clear that she had never encountered Corbyn. Yet she was given one of the 'top two' jobs by Corbyn (after she turned down DECC)

It is quite simply incredible that Corbyn (and his apologists) can try to claim that women are holding the top jobs in his SC - and then it transpires that he appointed people he has never met, let alone had a conversation with.

Utterly ludicrous. A party leader who appoints people to their front bench team without ever having met them is not a leader at all.
  • Options
    Which explains why ZERO voters over 55 thought Jezza would be PM in a recent poll.
    John_M said:

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Older voters have this thing called 'experience'. They're not the mindless sheeple you seem to believe.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

You win
  • Options
    Mr. B, that seems a bloody stupid time to put qualifying on.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Scotland 2-1 Australia in Davis Cup Tennis
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

FPT:

Corbyn's internals on the Yougov were appalling in the North on immigration, terrorism and defence. Basically the same outcome as in the South.

Even Ed and Brown were given a free pass on two of the three.

• Options

Didn't the new shadow education secretary (forget her name) tweet during the campaign that she'd never met Corbyn?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

It's a view.

Sorry you felt you had to resort to personal invective due to lack of any sort of coherent argument.
  • Options
    John_M said:

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Young voters have experience too; often experiences their elders didn't - though not as many.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carry On Jezza

Omnium said:

In the spirit of disaster movies, with a few hardy survivors, I give you: The Corbyn Adventure*
  • Options
    The Incredible Journey.
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Carry On Jezza

Omnium said:

In the spirit of disaster movies, with a few hardy survivors, I give you: The Corbyn Adventure*
  • Options

Political Academy 8?

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

MattW said:

Back to the Future.

Or

Or

Surely just Apocalypse Now would cover it.

As I mentioned my wife was doing a really weird Yougov last night. It asked lots of detailed questions about the EU and our preparations for the apocalypse. I assumed there was a direct connection but maybe it was one of these indirect questions...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I'm glad to say I haven't experienced myself - but then again until very recently I've never really mentioned it.

Thinking hard about it - I'd really pushed to think of anyone I'd not be friends with because of their politics. It strikes me as a bit peculiar to be honest.

I've certainly had close friends with very different political views to me. Indeed, one of those friends whose opinion and intellect i most respect was so anti-Tory he vowed, and was good to his word, not to live in the UK while Maggie was in power. Needless to say, we have plenty of political differences, even when we share the same analysis of a problem.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Re film titles, have we had yet (?)

The (Angela) Eagle Has Landed

The (Lucy) Powell and the Glory
  • Options
    :smile: Aren't there two Eagles in Jezza's team now?
    SandraM said:

• Options
    Lady and the tramp…
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

It's a view.

Sorry you felt you had to resort to personal invective due to lack of any sort of coherent argument.
    You called me 'batshit' only one comment above - so you either have no self-awareness or some very serious issues with your short term memory.

Help yourself to the last word. I have other things to do. Cheers.
  • Options

SandraM said:

And several vultures.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.
    Yes, so we could have "Where Eagles Dare."
  • Options
    Japan!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    TudorRose said:

BigRich said:

And, of course, it's impossible at this stage to tell how many people have 'left' the Labour party since last weekend. Some might have gone to the trouble of handing back their membership cards but I imagine most will just withdraw when their current membership runs out (or wait until corbyn is replaced).
    I suspect only a small number will have formally resigned perhaps in the low 100, or maybe 1000. their will be more who let there subscription run out, but even without the loss of moderate members, the number of new joiners, together with the long standing hard left, now clearly make up a majority.

In the PCS Trade Union, a traditionally non-political and moderate Trade Union, when the hard left gained power under, Mark Serwotka, they were very clever about getting their people in to key posts and modifying rules, that have made it impossible for the left to be removed from power. Instead there has been a slow but steady decline as the moderated membership and a couple of significant brake-away Unions has given up on regaining power in the Union and drifted away. The comparison is not perfect but I feel could be a indicator of how this will play out.
  • Options
    I'm all in favour of rehabilitation of offenders, but an arsonist seems a bit OTT to me.
    DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.
  • Options
    Once upon a time in the West(minster)?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Didn't the new shadow education secretary (forget her name) tweet during the campaign that she'd never met Corbyn?
    That might explain why Lucy Powell took the job of course. How bad could it be?

Ah.
  • Options
    Perhaps Jezza didn't know who she was either - such a political blind date would explain both sides of her appt.
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

That might explain why Lucy Powell took the job of course. How bad could it be?

Ah.
  • Options

The Corbyn Identity

The Corbyn Supremacy

The Corbyn Ultimatum

The Corbyn Legacy

• Options

I'm all in favour of rehabilitation of offenders, but an arsonist seems a bit OTT to me.

DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.
    Maybe he has a burning enthusiasm for education. All of a sudden.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is even more desperate than it looks.
  • Options
    From the current list of films at the cinema:

Irrational Man

Man From R.U.S.S.I.A

Me and Jezza and the Dying Party

45 years ('til Labour next get elected)

Minions (the electorate)

No Escape (from the left)

Straight outa the '70s.

• Options
    What's so surreal about this last week is that nothing is incredible anymore.

Almost any wild and wacky rumour could be true.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.

• Options
    BigRich said:

TudorRose said:

BigRich said:

I suspect only a small number will have formally resigned perhaps in the low 100, or maybe 1000. their will be more who let there subscription run out, but even without the loss of moderate members, the number of new joiners, together with the long standing hard left, now clearly make up a majority.

In the PCS Trade Union, a traditionally non-political and moderate Trade Union, when the hard left gained power under, Mark Serwotka, they were very clever about getting their people in to key posts and modifying rules, that have made it impossible for the left to be removed from power. Instead there has been a slow but steady decline as the moderated membership and a couple of significant brake-away Unions has given up on regaining power in the Union and drifted away. The comparison is not perfect but I feel could be a indicator of how this will play out.
    One of my closest friends is in that boat. He voted 1. Kendall (to send a message) / 2. Cooper (as the practical choice). He's not resigned but will let his membership expire and has said he'll donate his membership fee to the local food bank instead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.

Maybe under the new regime he'll be able to burn some books?
  • Options
    How about a Shakespeare adaptation; Labour's Love Lost (or in the shortened TV version just Labour's Lost)?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.

After his appointment, Lord Watson no doubt will be popping into One Brewers Green to measure the curtains. Or has he already done that? Perhaps that explains the fire five days ago?

• Options

The Corbyn Identity

The Corbyn Supremacy

The Corbyn Ultimatum

The Corbyn Legacy

Oldfinger
  • Options
    F1: hmm. Got several ideas, but all the odds are a bit shoddy.

I do think the race will be fascinating, but tricky finding value [when I do put it up, I won't mention the tip(s) here to help preserve uncertainty for those who haven't seen qualifying yet].
  • Options
    :lol:
    SandraM said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

SandraM said:

And several vultures.

After his appointment, Lord Watson no doubt will be popping into One Brewers Green to measure the curtains. Or has he already done that? Perhaps that explains the fire five days ago?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

The Corbyn Identity

The Corbyn Supremacy

The Corbyn Ultimatum

The Corbyn Legacy

Betrayal, sanction and retribution are also in the same series
  • Options
    Corbyn, his shadow chancellor and the education arsonist guy -

The Three Amigos
  • Options
    Is that a DDR porn film?
    Tim_B said:

The Corbyn Identity

The Corbyn Supremacy

The Corbyn Ultimatum

The Corbyn Legacy

Oldfinger
  • Options

Mr. B, that seems a bloody stupid time to put qualifying on.

Merely acknowledging two things -

1) It's college football season and you're not going to win that ratings war.

2) everyone has a dvr and nobody watches anything live anyway - except football.
  • Options
    Are any US journalists still commenting on this stuff?
    Tim_B said:

Corbyn, his shadow chancellor and the education arsonist guy -

The Three Amigos

• Options
    MTimT said:

I've certainly had close friends with very different political views to me. Indeed, one of those friends whose opinion and intellect i most respect was so anti-Tory he vowed, and was good to his word, not to live in the UK while Maggie was in power. Needless to say, we have plenty of political differences, even when we share the same analysis of a problem.
    My best friend - we've known each other since we were 8 and he is currently battling multiple myeloma - was at one time many years ago the national fund raiser for the Labour Party.

Our political views are poles apart, but when we talk politics we avoid big emotional debates and respect each other's view, and we are still best friends.

Friendship - genuine friendship - trumps politics. In a lifetime you have only a few real friends, as against many acquaintances.

If you only want to be friends with folks who agree with you on everything it's very limiting.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    John_M said:

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Some older voters base their vote on experience.

But probably a much larger cohort base it on "that's what I've always done". Hence Labour still existing and the turkeys who voted for Christmas when they crossed the No box in September last year.

Of course the basic tenet for those who do vote based on "experience" is "how do i keep my gains from being part of the most destructive generation in history".
  • Options
    Mr. B, hope your friend recovers.
  • Options

Is that a DDR porn film?

Tim_B said:

The Corbyn Identity

The Corbyn Supremacy

The Corbyn Ultimatum

The Corbyn Legacy

Oldfinger
    Not from the DDR, it's from Russia, with love ;)
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Scotland 2-1 Australia in Davis Cup Tennis

Scotland look pretty certain to make the final now.

It's a shame the Hydro is likely to be booked out years ahead nowadays. A 15,000 crowd would have been great but I doubt they could get the venue with only two months notice.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

If there is one thing Labour is completely inept at, it is knifing a leader quickly.

Combined with their labyrinthine selection procedure, the 4-5 available for Corbyn to still be leader on Jan 1st 2017 looks a great bet to me:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/jeremy-corbyn-specials

They are increasingly good at quickly selecting an inept leader...
    Labour have only had 18 years of losing seats at GE's.... A remarkable record.
    The Tories had 18 years of losing seats at GE's pre 2001 when they picked IDS, if it was not for Scotland Miliband would have made a handful of net gains like Hague did
    Actually 14 years for the Conservatives since 1983 to 97. Labour have lost seats (net) at every GE since 1997 up to 2015 an 18 year period. Or if we start in the year of the first GE with a loss, it is 10 years for the Conservatives and 13 years (so far) for Labour. Either way it is the worst period post WW2 for either major party. With Corbyn going to pile on the losses.
    Actually 14 years for Labour too then from 2001 to 2015. Labour did not lose any seats from 1997-2001 so those years do not count. Your third sentence does not make sense. (Of course the Tories also lost a seat at the Romsey by-election from 1997-2001, so Labour would have to lose a by-election under Corbyn to do as badly)
    Labour have lost (net) seats at every GE for 4 consecutive GEs. 01,05,10,15 that is four in a row.
    Conservatives lost net seats at GEs for 3 consecutive GEs 87,92 and 97.
    Was it pre WW2 when either of these parties had an equal or worse record than 4 GEs in a row?

Of course Labour look like adding a 5th GE to their record.
    The Tories though lost seats in by elections from 1983 to 1987 and 1992 to 1997 while Labour did not lose a single seat in by elections from 1997 to 2001. Outside Scotland Ed Miliband gained more seats in 2015 than Hague did in 2001
    Labour gained something in the order of 12 or so seats from the LDs. The LDs got wiped out not least by the Tories.
    True but Labour also gained slightly more Tory seats net in England under Miliband than Hague gained Labour seats net in 2001
  • Options

Mr. B, hope your friend recovers.

Thanks, I appreciate it, but there is no recovery from this. The most you can do is buy some time. At some point it's going to get him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I see that the whole IRA story was put to Jezza a week ago and still No Comment. Sun have tweeted the EDM condemning it from 1987. I can imagine the digging that's taken place...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Apols to OxfordSimon for misreading your post. I'm not sure it's too surprising that someone catapulted from the backbenches hasn't previously met every potential shadow minister, but I understand your point now.
    BigRich said:

It was 15000 in the first 24 hours

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-more-than-15000-join-labour-party-as-full-members-in-wake-of-islington-mps-victory-10498813.html

and I gather the pace has continued, though I've not seen the 60K figure in particular. It's quite astonishing in some areas - 8% of the entire electorate in my ward are now members, and we're having trouble finding premises large enough for meetings. I know quite a lot of people in that category and I wouldn't describe them as necessarily hard left (the seriously hard left never give up, and these are often people who drifted away). My reservation would be more whether they are as committed as the long-standing members. But Surbiton is right that potentially they are a good source for ensuring that people actually register to vote - there are a lot of students in particular in that group.

You're undoubtedly correct that it will shift the balance of membership to the left, though. An interesting question is the "Nixon in China" one - how far can the new leadership compromise on policy (if they want to) in a way that made people erupt in fury when it was done by Tony or Gordon? Quite a lot IMO - people are not in doubt about the underlying commitment, and they can see that we can't really stand for 20 controversial causes at once. I don't know anyone who is concerned about, for instance, Corbyn dropping withdrawal from NATO or committing to the EU. Trident will be trickier, with even Tony Blair having openly (in his memoirs) flirted with dropping it as a use of money that is hard to imagine being actually useful..