Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even Michael Foot had net positive opening MORI ratings. Ho

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Are any US journalists still commenting on this stuff?

Tim_B said:

Corbyn, his shadow chancellor and the education arsonist guy -

The Three Amigos

Not really - it's a footnote at best.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited September 2015

I do think the race will be fascinating.

If F1 is your idea of fascinating I'd hate to see what boring looks like.

On topic - I'm minded of the line about Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge - 'the ratings started badly and went downhill from there'.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, golf.

Mr. B, very sorry to hear that. I'm sure he appreciates having a good friend in you.
  • Options
    The ComRes poll will be published here at 7.30pm
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

GeoffM said:

JWisemann said:

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

We are getting a voting intention poll tonight from ComRes:

http://ind.pn/1PbXn67

Those supplementaries look fun.

Quite a crucial poll, then.
    I know you dislike Corbyn (maybe everyone to the left of hitler?) but if the above is true, do you think it's a good thing that media owned by a few tax exiles and foreigners should have such overpowering ability to dictate what is acceptable in this country? If you look at it objectively, rather than in the narrow sense of 'good for your side'?
    In this internet age nobody owns the media any longer.
    That's why the BBC will have to change model - as everyone else has done already.
    Older voters still read the papers. Everyone is exposed to at least some TV and radio. All of these outlets have been uniformly and relentlessly hostile to Corbyn, yet he represents the second largest party in the country. That is the behaviour of a banana republic.
    The Guardian and the Mirror have certainly not been uniformly hostile to Corbyn, nor has the BBC. Voters make up their own minds, a voter in Hartlepool unprompted on Newsnight last week said 'if Corbyn cannot look after his own appearance why should he be trusted to look after the country' that said it all, and that was in a Labour seat

Remember under the Hague/IDS years only really the Telegraph and Mail were hostile to Blair and kept the Tory flag flying, the situation is reversed now with very few but solid Labour papers hostile to Cameron
    Oh come on. Even the Guardian, Independent and Mirror are running overwhelmingly anti-Corbyn coverage, as is the supposedly impartial BBC. It's an elite stitch-up. Plurality of opinion until its something outside of approved topics.

During the IDS years Murdoch's papers supported Blair but they didn't support the Labour Party at large, and they certainly didn't attack IDS & Hague like they are doing to Corbyn. So it's a completely false equivalence.

There is plenty of support for Corbyn from the likes of Owen Jones and George Monbiot in the Guardian and in the Mirror too. The Sun had a front page showing Hague as a dead parrot so wrong on both counts
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Dair said:

Scotland 2-1 Australia in Davis Cup Tennis

Scotland look pretty certain to make the final now.

It's a shame the Hydro is likely to be booked out years ahead nowadays. A 15,000 crowd would have been great but I doubt they could get the venue with only two months notice.
    On my experience they are probably already stuck in the carpark.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

You are such a tease! Now I'll be clock-watching until then...
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. 86, golf.

Wash your mouth out with soap, Mr D. I will be spending next week marshalling inside the ropes at the Tour Championship. I am on hole #7. If you watch carefully you might see me. It is fascinating and exciting. Renault and VW are nowhere to be seen.

Nice hot weather, a beautiful golf course, and great golf.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

Scotland 2-1 Australia in Davis Cup Tennis

Scotland look pretty certain to make the final now.

It's a shame the Hydro is likely to be booked out years ahead nowadays. A 15,000 crowd would have been great but I doubt they could get the venue with only two months notice.
    On my experience they are probably already stuck in the carpark.
    I know how they feel - I had a British Leyland car once......
  • Options
    F1: trying to find 2014 results for something.

The official site remains horrendous...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited September 2015
    Mr. B, your perverse and depraved proclivities are your business, but don't try and persuade me dressing like a colour-blind clown and wandering around an enormous garden for several days is a sport.

Edited extra bit: shade Sir Edric there... anyway, must try and concentrate on finding a tip. Radio silence until then [off-chance I may not post again until tomorrow].
  • Options

F1: trying to find 2014 results for something.

The official site remains horrendous...

The Dallas Cowboys went 12-4. Does that help?
  • Options

Mr. B, your perverse and depraved proclivities are your business, but don't try and persuade me dressing like a colour-blind clown and wandering around an enormous garden for several days is a sport.

Edited extra bit: shade Sir Edric there... anyway, must try and concentrate on finding a tip. Radio silence until then [off-chance I may not post again until tomorrow].

Actually khaki pants, a teal shirt and a black hat - all Nike.

What's wrong with perverse and depraved proclivities? I've always been an animal lover ;)
  • Options
    You can't make this up - best college football player name I've heard in ages: Weston Steelhammer
  • Options
    Pauly said:

You are such a tease! Now I'll be clock-watching until then...
    It'll be closer to 7.35pm. Don't want to violate the embargo and will be mostly an embedded tweet thread
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Hmm West Ham United are going to have beaten Liverpool, Man City & Arsenal all away from home.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Am off to watch Everest at 8pm so will try and have a quick glance beforehand, fair to say if Corbyn gets 30% +it would be a good result for him in the circumstances, I am expecting 25-29%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm West Ham United are going to have beaten Liverpool, Man City & Arsenal all away from home.

Sod the soccer, Japan are tying 22 all with the Saffers in the egg chasing with 20 mins to go
  • Options
    Great Matt today on the LD conference and the Battle of Britain
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

Can you give some examples of when they have "used and cultivated terrorism"?

I think everyone accepts they have destabilised some states, like North Korea and Afghanistan. That doesn't mean it's illegitimate.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/19/how-the-us-helped-create-al-qaeda-and-isis/

'The director of the National Security Agency under Ronald Reagan, General William Odom recently remarked, “by any measure the U.S. has long used terrorism. In 1978-79 the Senate was trying to pass a law against international terrorism – in every version they produced, the lawyers said the U.S. would be in violation.”'
    I'd be disappointed and nervous if they hadn't.
    I'm completely easy with it.
    You'd be disappointed and nervous if they hadn't created Al Qaeda?

It's a view.
    It's a view that they 'created' something which wasn't there under other names already. Grow up.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf
    You think people sleep peacefully in their beds because of Al Qaeda. Batshit doesn't cover it.
    You are delightfully and entertainingly insane.
    I hope that your carer keeps sharp objects away from you.
    Sorry you felt you had to resort to personal invective due to lack of any sort of coherent argument.
    You called me 'batshit' only one comment above - so you either have no self-awareness or some very serious issues with your short term memory.

Help yourself to the last word. I have other things to do. Cheers.
    Thanks, I shall. I called your lauding of the creation of Al Qaeda batshit. I could have done as you have but I find playing the man to be a sign of weakness of argument, I'm sure you agree.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

You can't make this up - best college football player name I've heard in ages: Weston Steelhammer

Nothing beats Key & Peele's East meets West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss
  • Options
    Just made ST a little richer..
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I could be lining myself up to look stupid, but I suspect that the VI will not have changed that dramatically, the full realisation of how extreme Corbyn is will not have sunk in yet, with the wider not politically engaged majority of the public.

Despite what the survey for the independent yesterday, Coybyn is not fully associated with the Labour Party in a lot of people heads, at least not yet. And whatever support Coybyn has cost with labour moderates, will be at least partially offset by support switching form the green party.

What this will give us is a base line to judge pole that come out post conference season.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Go Japan! Making the Saffers, look very silly.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I could be lining myself up to look stupid, but I suspect that the VI will not have changed that dramatically, the full realisation of how extreme Corbyn is will not have sunk in yet, with the wider not politically engaged majority of the public.

Despite what the survey for the independent yesterday, Coybyn is not fully associated with the Labour Party in a lot of people heads, at least not yet. And whatever support Coybyn has cost with labour moderates, will be at least partially offset by support switching form the green party.

What this will give us is a base line to judge pole that come out post conference season.
    Given the last comres poll had Labour on 28% and Labour won 30% at the election, no change is not encouraging for Corbyn
  • Options
    felix said:

FPT:

In 5 years time, it is possible - no more than that - that those who have gone from Minimum Wage to Living Wage will have seen a material rise in disposable income - and might be prepared to believe that the Tories are now the party to look out for the working poor...

It depends on whether the WC do find that the 'living wage' is indeed a 'living wage' and have that disposable income. In any case, the trouble for the Conservatives in Labour's Northern heartlands has always been a brand issue; one created in the 1980s, that has since refused to budge.
    The northern heartlands are a few big cities - way less important than the whole of southern England - and more so given the loss of Scotland, decline in Wales, and in many small towns all over the country. Labour are getting closer and closer to the last redoubts.
    The post was in response to speculation as to whether the Conservatives could take the votes of the WC; not how electorally important the North was.
  • Options
    "During the IDS years Murdoch's papers supported Blair but they didn't support the Labour Party at large". What Jesuitical sophistry is this ?
  • Options
    Older voters may well have experience, but they also tend to more cynical, perhaps more self-interested, and more sceptical of any kind of change. They were demographic most likely to be against gay marriage for example, out of all the other age-groups. Corbyn, for all his many faults is not a Conservative, Middle-England friendly individual whose views are pretty much outlined in the latest edition of the Daily Mail. So on that basis alone, the 55+ crowd were never going to like him much.

As for political views and dating, I don't think anyone should not be friends with someone because of differing politics (well, unless they are racist, sexist, or homophobic - people like that don't tend to be nice). But I can understand why politics would be important in regards to dating.
  • Options

felix said:

FPT:

In 5 years time, it is possible - no more than that - that those who have gone from Minimum Wage to Living Wage will have seen a material rise in disposable income - and might be prepared to believe that the Tories are now the party to look out for the working poor...

It depends on whether the WC do find that the 'living wage' is indeed a 'living wage' and have that disposable income. In any case, the trouble for the Conservatives in Labour's Northern heartlands has always been a brand issue; one created in the 1980s, that has since refused to budge.
    The northern heartlands are a few big cities - way less important than the whole of southern England - and more so given the loss of Scotland, decline in Wales, and in many small towns all over the country. Labour are getting closer and closer to the last redoubts.
    The post was in response to speculation as to whether the Conservatives could take the votes of the WC; not how electorally important the North was.
    It is in the North where it is possible, just possible, that a living wage introduction etc can have the biggest impact. In northern towns £9 an hour means more than in southern towns.

Already the North West outside of the big cities has seen many marginals swing to the Tories in the last two elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I liked this comment, it sounds just like him.

Brian Sewell is currently describing the Pearly Gates as "disappointingly garish, not a patch on the original design".
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    BigRich said:

I suspect not much change either. It usually takes a few weeks for these things to percolate through to the public.
  • Options

felix said:

FPT:

It is in the North where it is possible, just possible, that a living wage introduction etc can have the biggest impact. In northern towns £9 an hour means more than in southern towns.

Already the North West outside of the big cities has seen many marginals swing to the Tories in the last two elections.
    There's a different between marginal seats though, and Labour's core Northern heartlands though. One set of voters are open to voting for different parties, the other has had a negative view of the Conservatives for decades now. As for the living wage - which is really simply the MW rebranded - it's £9 by 2020.
  • Options

felix said:

FPT:

There's a different between marginal seats though, and Labour's core Northern heartlands though. One set of voters are open to voting for different parties, the other has had a negative view of the Conservatives for decades now. As for the living wage - which is really simply the MW rebranded - it's £9 by 2020.
    It's not simply the NMW rebranded as its not by any means what the NMW would have been. Labour's manifesto was for a NMW of £8 by 2020 so lets not talk nonsense.

Plus the 25+ band is completely new and didn't exist.

Plus 2020 is the year of the next election.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    @JosiasJessop I know you're pretty keen on civil engineering - there's a great series on C5 about building skyscrapers and follows the erection of some iconic ones - well worth checking it out Superskyscrapers. Should be on your EPG and Demand5 website.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited September 2015
    I wonder how it will play out with all those new members - where do they sit on the spectrum?

If they all have Corbynite in their hearts, how will they deal with JC becoming rather less far left than he was? And do those who don't share the full JC baggage care that he campaigned for all those murderers/ aspiring murderers against his own country's police force for all those years? If he campaigned for justice for catholics murdered by the IRA pour encourager les autres that might make a difference but I'm not clear that he did.

Someone will be busy auditing his EDMs.

And how will they react if the party turns out to be sewn up by a Ken Livingstone clique?

More fillums:

Offer and Compromise
    Reasonable Compromise
    or
    No Compromise

and

The Search for Red October
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

FPT:

I see so you agree the northern heartlands don't really matter?
  • Options
    They fucking gone and done it.

Greatest upset in sporting history.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015

felix said:

FPT:

It's not simply the NMW rebranded as its not by any means what the NMW would have been. Labour's manifesto was for a NMW of £8 by 2020 so lets not talk nonsense.

Plus the 25+ band is completely new and didn't exist.

Plus 2020 is the year of the next election.
    It's not nonsense - Labour's offer was pretty paltry as well - really they should have gone for £8/9 this year and promised it to go to £12 by 2020. The current 'living wage' that is needed now in London is £9.15, so god knows what it will need to be by 2020 - it really needs to be £9 now, not in five years time.
  • Options
    I've turned Japanese.

Oohh err.
  • Options
    Indecent Proposal
    MattW said:

I wonder how it will play out with all those new members - where do they sit on the spectrum?

If they all have Corbynite in their hearts, how will they deal with JC becoming rather less far left than he was? And do those who don't share the full JC baggage care that he campaigned for all those murderers/ aspiring murderers against his own country's police force for all those years? If he campaigned for justice for catholics murdered by the IRA pour encourager les autres that might make a difference.

Someone will be busy auditing his EDMs.

And how will they react if the party turns out to be sewn up by a Ken Livingstone clique?

More fillums:

Offer and Compromise
    Reasonable Compromise
    or
    No Compromise

and

The Search for Red October

• Options
    Rugby world cup & Davis cup

Wow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    South Africa = Andy Burnham
  • Options

BigRich said:

I suspect not much change either. It usually takes a few weeks for these things to percolate through to the public.
    Thanks Foxinsoxuk,

At least if I am wrong I won't be the only one.
  • Options
    Japan beat South Africa in Brighton in first shock of the Rugby World Cup
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

FPT:

They do if you're Tory desparate for the working classes to identify as Tories. Personally, I believe all demographics matter in some way, regardless of how electorally important they may or may not be. We want a government that tries to help all, not only a few in this country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I liked this comment, it sounds just like him.

Brian Sewell is currently describing the Pearly Gates as "disappointingly garish, not a patch on the original design".
    Yes, waspish to the last
  • Options
    Re: South African rugby. Well at least they know that in the future that all the team can be picked like Labour's AWS selection criteria instead of just some.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Japan = Hannibal, South Africa = Varro.

Can't decide on a tip now, so it'll be up tomorrow morning. Believe race start is the usual 1pm.
  • Options

Older voters may well have experience, but they also tend to more cynical, perhaps more self-interested, and more sceptical of any kind of change. They were demographic most likely to be against gay marriage for example, out of all the other age-groups. Corbyn, for all his many faults is not a Conservative, Middle-England friendly individual whose views are pretty much outlined in the latest edition of the Daily Mail. So on that basis alone, the 55+ crowd were never going to like him much.

As for political views and dating, I don't think anyone should not be friends with someone because of differing politics (well, unless they are racist, sexist, or homophobic - people like that don't tend to be nice). But I can understand why politics would be important in regards to dating.

Though there do seem to be rather a lot of posh Tory girls who end up sleeping with laddish northern Labour men
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Japan have single-handedly set this World Cup alight. Rugby could be turning into a truly global game. Tastic.

Try taking the 2019 World Cup from Japan now.
  • Options

@JosiasJessop I know you're pretty keen on civil engineering - there's a great series on C5 about building skyscrapers and follows the erection of some iconic ones - well worth checking it out Superskyscrapers. Should be on your EPG and Demand5 website.

Thanks. I've recorded some of them, but have yet to watch them. There are some interesting engineering programs on at the moment, especially on Quest. 'Extreme Engineering' is good with a personable presenter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Engineering
  • Options
    I went all Ponceyboots Gaylord for the last 20mins.

Never happened before in a Rugby match that didn't involve England or the Lions
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Hmm. It will need a thread, but what *is* the potential for Tories in the North if Osbo makes the Northern Powerhouse / regional devolution work?

I guess I'd see it as something that would take until at least 2025 or 2030 for infrastructure spending etc to have a significant impact, considering that a majority of people still support Rail Renationalisation dispite the success of the privatised railways.

I think this is still the best article I have seen on that subject:
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/09/09/corbyn-cooper-and-burnham-are-being-outflanked-by-osborne-on-devolution/
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    O/T I never knew that Brian Sewell, who died today, claimed Peter Warlock as his father...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdibDKnp7Mc
    Takes me back to my fiddling youth...
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmm. It will need a thread, but what *is* the potential for Tories in the North if Osbo makes the Northern Powerhouse work.

I guess I'd see it as something that would take until at least 2025 for infrastructure spending etc to have a significant impact, considering that a majority of people still support Rail Renationalisation dispite the success of the privatised railways.

You can see West Yorkshire trending heavily to the Tories in 2020. All sorts of seats come into play.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    JEO said:

JEO said:

SeanT said:

Some truth there. The difference with Corbyn is that the press doesn't HAVE to make stuff up or develop misleading narratives blah de blah, because Corbyn really IS an extremist nutter, and he really DID appoint a Shadow Chancellor who honours the IRA, and so on.

Let's take the Bin laden's death-is-a-tragedy thing. No one denies he said it (and on Iran's Press TV, too, but let's leave that aside). The Corbynite complaint is that Jeremy was taken out of context, and when you listen to more of his remarks, he meant Bin Laden's execution was a tragedy because he should have been arrested and tried.

But then, if you do indeed listen to the rest of Corbyn's remarks on that show, you first hear Jezbollah allege that the entire death was "staged", Bin Laden died years before, after which, a few seconds later, Corbyn goes on to change his mind entirely and say that the death was a tragedy "like 9/11" - two remarks which prove that Corbyn is possibly mad, and certainly a monumental idiot with terrible judgement.

That's no spin. It is the case.

Very often it is fact. Civilians do get hurt and killed when Assad bombs the rebels. Putin is no doubt helping the rebels in the Donbass. Some (few it seems) of the migrants are fleeing danger rather than seeking a better life. There are racist Ukip supporters. There are nasty cybernats. The misleading element comes in when there's a total omission of valid and pertinent facts on the other side of the argument.

As for Corbyn's views on the death of Bin Laden, I believe much of what America has done in its leadership of the world will only unfold and dawn upon the wider public over the coming years and decades. A bit of pantomime over killing Bin Laden is a comparatively mild accusation.

What do you think are the less mild accusations of what has been done by America that the wide public has not dawned upon yet?
    I think they've used and cultivated terrorism as a weapon of war. I think they've embarked upon a strategy of wilfully destabilising nation states and balkanising regions for their own strategic gain. I think their corporations have undermined our public health, and rotted our brains. Is that enough for an appetiser?

I would also like to state that I love Americans - every one I've met to a person has been charming. And I admire many attributes of America. I see America like Pandora's box in that respect. It causes problems but at the same time it offers hope.
    Can you give some examples of when they have "used and cultivated terrorism"?

I think everyone accepts they have destabilised some states, like North Korea and Afghanistan. That doesn't mean it's illegitimate.
    LOL, cuckoo
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    I was pretty disappointed at how Canada folded early on, it's always good for the smaller teams to put up a good fight for most of the game at least, but thank god for Japan showing it might not be a trend for all the small teams. Far better than the near miss of Georgia one point from beating Ireland a few world cups back.
  • Options
    Japan's tackling was very impressive.
  • Options

GaryLineker
    If West Ham hang on it will be the biggest sporting upset since Japan beat South Africa in the rugby World Cup.
    5:46 p.m. - 19 September 2015
  • Options
    Labour abandons support for new Heathrow runway http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4561784.ece
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Thanks Foxinsoxuk,

At least if I am wrong I won't be the only one.
    I think politics geeks (and PB is the place to be one!) get over excited and expect every gaffe or triumph to be instantly reflected in the polls. Usually it is more a slow burn. We shall see.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmm. It will need a thread, but what *is* the potential for Tories in the North if Osbo makes the Northern Powerhouse / regional devolution work?

I guess I'd see it as something that would take until at least 2025 or 2030 for infrastructure spending etc to have a significant impact, considering that a majority of people still support Rail Renationalisation dispite the success of the privatised railways.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/09/09/corbyn-cooper-and-burnham-are-being-outflanked-by-osborne-on-devolution/

It's telling that one of Osborne's first tweets (*) after winning the GE was about the Northern Powerhouse. He really believes in it. And rightly so.

(*) It was either first or second.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

MattW said:

Hmm. It will need a thread, but what *is* the potential for Tories in the North if Osbo makes the Northern Powerhouse work.

I guess I'd see it as something that would take until at least 2025 for infrastructure spending etc to have a significant impact, considering that a majority of people still support Rail Renationalisation dispite the success of the privatised railways.

You can see West Yorkshire trending heavily to the Tories in 2020. All sorts of seats come into play.
    I can also see them significantly sorting out devolved Parliaments over 2 terms to make them work. Much needs to be done to give long terms stability / viability.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

O/T I never knew that Brian Sewell, who died today, claimed Peter Warlock as his father...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdibDKnp7Mc
    Takes me back to my fiddling youth...

Great para in the Tele obituary.

'Brian Sewell was born in London on St Swithin’s Day 1931, and brought up in Kensington. At school he was nicknamed “Sewage”. His father, only latterly identified as the Old Etonian composer Peter Warlock, committed suicide before Brian was born but after putting out the cat. Brian would later share both his gloomy nature and his love of animals.'

http://tinyurl.com/p7bc7ml
  • Options

Labour abandons support for new Heathrow runway http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4561784.ece

What's their alternative?

I guess this means it'll be hard to get the bill through parliament. If Labour can whip their MPs through on it, then there will be enough Conservative rebels for it to fail. The Lib Dems will be against, although it looks as though the SNP might just vote with the government.
  • Options

MattW said:

It's telling that one of Osborne's first tweets (*) after winning the GE was about the Northern Powerhouse. He really believes in it. And rightly so.

I don't think Corbynism would win back many seats in the Midlands either, his policies are just not going to sell well outside North London.
  • Options

It's not nonsense - Labour's offer was pretty paltry as well - really they should have gone for £8/9 this year and promised it to go to £12 by 2020. The current 'living wage' that is needed now in London is £9.15, so god knows what it will need to be by 2020 - it really needs to be £9 now, not in five years time.

The Minimum wage, or National Living Wage, will, in the long run, do nothing but increase unemployment of the low skilled, and permeably hold back the economy and prosperity of us all.

Osboarns 'Living Wage', may have won him some political points, in the short term, and may indeed appear to have some success in the very short term.

But in the end you can not be paid more than the value you create for your employer, or your employer will go bankrupt.

What it will do is deter new employers from entering the market for low skill employees, reducing the opportunities for these people to work and gain the skills that they will need to gain the high skill jobs.

The damage this will do to some of the more deprived areas of the country is massive, there are places where because of low hosing costs a wage of £5 or £6 allows for a resalable life style, but theses same areas often need the low cost of pay to attract employers!
  • Options
    @HYUFD Really? Historically I know that Atlee's wife was a Tory, and that Hugh Gaitskell (according to Andrew Marr) had affair with Ann Fleming, who was a Tory. But I haven't seen anything today that is similar to that.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    A probable candidate for the greatest sporting upset of all time, in any sport.
  • Options
    Since when did Zulus wear light blue?
  • Options

MattW said:

I don't think Corbynism would win back many seats in the Midlands either, his policies are just not going to sell well outside North London.
    Here's a question: how London-centric is Corbyn's shadow cabinet? Certainly both he and his shad chancellor both represent London constituencies?, and Abbot is also a London MP.

And how does it compare with the current government?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Look on the bright side Scotland have to play Japan and a pissed off South Africa
  • Options
    Naughty

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m5 minutes ago
    ComRes: Despite Corbyn election voting intentions haven't changed significantly: Tories on 42% (up 2 since August) and Labour on 30% (up 1).
  • Options
    They don't appear to have one yet, if ever.

I guess this means it'll be hard to get the bill through parliament. If Labour can whip their MPs through on it, then there will be enough Conservative rebels for it to fail. The Lib Dems will be against, although it looks as though the SNP might just vote with the government.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I'm disappointed I missed the rugby. Still this is obviously the year of the underdog.

Bodes well for Corbyn.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

FPT:

They do if you're Tory desparate for the working classes to identify as Tories. Personally, I believe all demographics matter in some way, regardless of how electorally important they may or may not be. We want a government that tries to help all, not only a few in this country.
    The bulk of the w/c do not live in northern cities. The only desperation visible at the moment is the of Corbynite supporters trying to make the best of it.
  • Options
    @felix I'm not a Corbyn supporter.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2015

Naughty

ComRes: Despite Corbyn election voting intentions haven't changed significantly: Tories on 42% (up 2 since August) and Labour on 30% (up 1).

Interesting - particularly as Comres has been pitching Labour lower than other pollsters since May. I think the last Daily Mail Comres poll had figures of Con 42 Lab 28.
  • Options

I believe that the DUP and UUP are also in favour of Heathrow expansion. not to mention a hand full of Labour MPs that have small local airports in there constituency's.

As Heathrow has got busser and busser, many of the landing slots that used to be for flights coming from small UK airports have been squeezed out by bigger planes coming form further afield. I cant remember the exact fingers but I think that there are only 9 UK airports that still have direct flights to Heathrow, compared to 26 that fly to Skipole in the Netherlands!

P.S. I apologies for any spelling mistakes I am dyslectic and don't what to spend to long fighting with the spell checker or the conversation moves on before I reply.
  • Options

If you still plan to vote Labour you are.
  • Options
    felix said:

I don't know whether I'm going to vote Labour. Most likely, I'll spoil my ballot, vote LD, or protest vote for the Greens. Not every whose not a died in the wool Tory is a committed Corbynite.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    SeanT said:

AIUI the Tories don't need to put a Bill through parly. They can just go ahead and make the decision. Or have I got that wrong? Quite possibly I have.
    You are absolutely correct: this is a decision of the executive, not one that requires a new law to be enacted.
  • Options
    There's a special circle of hell reserved for people who break embargoes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Look on the bright side Scotland have to play Japan and a pissed off South Africa
    I am trying to find the bright side of that. Maybe we could play the Murray brothers?
  • Options

felix said:

I don't know whether I'm going to vote Labour. Most likely, I'll spoil my ballot, vote LD, or protest vote for the Greens. Not every whose not a died in the wool Tory is a committed Corbynite.
    Excellent news.
  • Options
    JosiasJessop

You are talking nonsence. The SNP have been hugely critical of the Davies Report because of the £5bn public subsidy wanted by Heathrow. They are quite right and Heathrow is now in big trouble. If Gatwick play their cards right they could be back in the running.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

AIUI the Tories don't need to put a Bill through parly. They can just go ahead and make the decision. Or have I got that wrong? Quite possibly I have.
    You are absolutely correct: this is a decision of the executive, not one that requires a new law to be enacted.
    Thanks to you and Sean.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Just received your invitation in the post?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just received your invitation in the post?
    I've had the poll since 5.30pm
  • Options
    All publicity is good publicity :wink:
    SeanT said:

@PickardJE 3m3 minutes ago
    ComRes: Almost twice as Britons say they're unfavourable towards Jeremy Corbyn as say they're favourable (24% favourable v 42% unfavourable)

• Options
    BigRich said:

I believe that the DUP and UUP are also in favour of Heathrow expansion. not to mention a hand full of Labour MPs that have small local airports in there constituency's.

As Heathrow has got busser and busser, many of the landing slots that used to be for flights coming from small UK airports have been squeezed out by bigger planes coming form further afield. I cant remember the exact fingers but I think that there are only 9 UK airports that still have direct flights to Heathrow, compared to 26 that fly to Skipole in the Netherlands!

P.S. I apologies for any spelling mistakes I am dyslectic and don't what to spend to long fighting with the spell checker or the conversation moves on before I reply.
    I just assumed you were on an iphone with predictive text.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

ComRes: Almost twice as Britons say they're unfavourable towards Jeremy Corbyn as say they're favourable (24% favourable v 42% unfavourable)

My god, that's almost as bad as Nick Clegg
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    SeanT said:

justin124 said:

Naughty

Interesting - particularly as Comres has been pitching Labour lower than other pollsters since May.
    *interesting*??

lol. The Tory lead has widened, to TWELVE points. New leaders are meant to get a honeymoon and a polling boost.

All the Corbynites I know on FB and Twitter were claiming that Jezza was surfing a huge wave, and we'd soon be seeing it in the polls. Like, now. To be fair, I thought Corbyn would get a little bounce, too.

Instead the Tory lead widens.
    Not compared with the last Comres poll - which was for the Mail and gave the Tories a 14% lead. I believe 30 is Labour's highest Comres rating since the election - though other pollsters have consistently put them a few points higher.
  • Options

felix said:

Join the gang. Labour has lost me as a voter. The election of Corbyn is an absolute disaster for the party and it was obviously going to be so.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

My god, that's almost as bad as Nick Clegg
    Wait until you see the full scores.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

justin124 said:

Naughty

Interesting - particularly as Comres has been pitching Labour lower than other pollsters since May.
    *interesting*??

lol. The Tory lead has widened, to TWELVE points. New leaders are meant to get a honeymoon and a polling boost.

All the Corbynites I know on FB and Twitter were claiming that Jezza was surfing a huge wave, and we'd soon be seeing it in the polls. Like, now. To be fair, I thought Corbyn would get a little bounce, too.

Not compared with the last Comres poll - which was for the Mail and gave the Tories a 14% lead. I believe 30 is Labour's highest Comres rating since the election - though other pollsters have consistently put them a few points higher.
    JCICIPM - ride the wave.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SeanT said:

justin124 said:

Naughty

*interesting*??

That was a phone poll, this is an online poll.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

New leaders are meant to get a honeymoon and a polling boost.

This is the honeymoon.