Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes poll finds Corbyn with near identical ratings as Osb

Comments

• Options
    Dair said:

As I was saying ...

You really have nothing remotely intetesting to say about this as you have no idea about what is going on.

I'd love Dair to explain to some Aboriginals or Native Americans about how vile and nasty the British colonisation of Scotland is
    There are distinct parallels to how the British State has dealt with Scotland and how it's empire treated native populations in other colonies.

Scotland WAS ethnically cleansed.
    Scotland WAS culturally cleansed (ever heard of the term North Britain).

The fact that the first was reasonably unsuccessful and the latter almost totally unsuccessful does not mean these things did not happen. Being able to avoid being murdered and culturally destroyed does not ameliorate views of the history.
    If only the Scots were given a vote to leave such a vile Union.

Oh wait they were.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

It may be interesting from a Scottish viewpoint if they get away with it. After all that is how the first parliament formed in Ireland. No plebiscite there as I recall (though both the Black and Tan war and a bizarre Irish Civil war)

It'll show the Scots that UDI is not a viable option. But it is going to bugger Spain up something rotten as Catalonia is 20% of the economy or something like that. It'll be interesting to see how the IBEX reacts on Monday and what happens to Spanish government bonds.
    The only ones to suffer will be the Castillian colonialists who will be significantly harmed if they do anything but accept the inevitable.

Castille and France are going to look incredibly stupid over this while the Catalans will find plenty of friends to help them out.

You know as much about this as you do about VAT
    The reality of the situation seems to be beyond you. There are only so many Colonialists left in the world. Obviously the big centralised states of Castille, France and possibly Italy will do whatever they can to destabilise the situation. But their hopes seem to be faced with a reality that has always happened.

Colonialism fails and is diluted. The Castillian Empire is not long for this world. It failed to do what France did and completely subjugate the occupied territories. The United Kingdom faces the same fate.

Eventually coherent nations re-assert themselves. It will happen in Spain and will happen in Britain. At some point you will need to accept this.
    What is happening in Scotland has little to do with Scotland, what has happened is the result of a malaise in the fortunes of the United Kingdom. Combined with a cossetted sense of regional identity, this reopens old wounds. When the Empire was at its height, Scots were the biggest Empire builders. From my understanding the same is true in Spain. Times is tough, and people have got restless and imagine there is advantage to breaking away.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

OMG another Corbyn scandal. The man is unfit to be PM. This involves dogging and otters

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPSqJlGWsAAp9j8.jpg

Classic.

I want to know who buys the Sunday Sport.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

You really have nothing remotely intetesting to say about this as you have no idea about what is going on.

I'd love Dair to explain to some Aboriginals or Native Americans about how vile and nasty the British colonisation of Scotland is
    There are distinct parallels to how the British State has dealt with Scotland and how it's empire treated native populations in other colonies.

The fact that the first was reasonably unsuccessful and the latter almost totally unsuccessful does not mean these things did not happen. Being able to avoid being murdered and culturally destroyed does not ameliorate views of the history.
    If only the Scots were given a vote to leave such a vile Union.

Oh wait they were.
    Its much easier to feel thst the world is against you than admit failure.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Early days of course and smallish sample of under 200 but still cold comfort for Corbyn's Labour from Comres in Scotland - SNP ahead by 49 per cent to 17 per cent!

Scots conservatives to become official opposition at this rate !!!!!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Adam White ‏@adamjoewhite 12h12 hours ago
    So Corbyn missed an all expenses paid jolly to the rugby in order to attend his constituency advice surgery? What will this monster do next?
  • Options
    Dair said:

DanSmith said:

So the establishment have thrown everything at Corbyn the last week and Labour polling numbers have remained solid.

Since it became clear he was about to become Labours new leader, SLAB have continued to slide.
    Why?
  • Options

So Corbyn missed an all expenses paid jolly to the rugby in order to attend his constituency advice surgery? What will this monster do next?

He wants to be Prime Minister - that means showing respect to many including people who don't share his views. He is only in his comfort zone when he is with people who support him
  • Options
    Corbyn's first policy

The people's renationalised railways

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPStQ9HXAAAjyGs.jpg
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Dair said:

Dair said:

It may be interesting from a Scottish viewpoint if they get away with it. After all that is how the first parliament formed in Ireland. No plebiscite there as I recall (though both the Black and Tan war and a bizarre Irish Civil war)

It'll show the Scots that UDI is not a viable option. But it is going to bugger Spain up something rotten as Catalonia is 20% of the economy or something like that. It'll be interesting to see how the IBEX reacts on Monday and what happens to Spanish government bonds.
    The only ones to suffer will be the Castillian colonialists who will be significantly harmed if they do anything but accept the inevitable.

Castille and France are going to look incredibly stupid over this while the Catalans will find plenty of friends to help them out.

The reality of the situation seems to be beyond you. There are only so many Colonialists left in the world. Obviously the big centralised states of Castille, France and possibly Italy will do whatever they can to destabilise the situation. But their hopes seem to be faced with a reality that has always happened.

Colonialism fails and is diluted. The Castillian Empire is not long for this world. It failed to do what France did and completely subjugate the occupied territories. The United Kingdom faces the same fate.

Eventually coherent nations re-assert themselves. It will happen in Spain and will happen in Britain. At some point you will need to accept this.

As I was saying ...

The chief fault of the English was being too lenient towards the Scots.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,516

Corbyn's first policy

Dogma over reality.

Ouch.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Japan result let me Green out on the Woold Cup, I'd back Scotland at 180 and they've gone down to 120.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sunday Times

#sundaytimes #yougov State of the parties: CON 39%, LAB 31%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 16% - so no radical change from general election

Only 14% think Jeremy Corbyn is likely to be our next PM

30% think he's strong enough to be a good leader, 41% think he is not (a little worse than Ed Miliband in 2010)

36% think Corbyn has dangerous and unworkable views and would be a threat to the economy and national security
  • Options

He wants to be Prime Minister - that means showing respect to many including people who don't share his views. He is only in his comfort zone when he is with people who support him
    A constituency advice surgery is not just for supporters its for constituents who require advice (even Tories)

Jollies are for normal politicians who love troughing and taking voters for a ride IMO.
  • Options
    YouGov

32% say he's a man of integrity & principle who has caught the mood of people disillusioned by politics
  • Options
    MattW said:

Corbyn's first policy

Dogma over reality.

Ouch.
    People whinge....but journey numbers go up and up.
  • Options

The poll shows primarily how stable most voters are.

A rule which apparently failed to apply in Broxtowe?

• Options

Corbyn's first policy

How's he going to halve the number of passengers overnight?

Back to when the railways were last nationalised.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

Indeed, we should have implemented full Anschluss in 1707.

If Scotland votes to secede we should salt Scottish lands.
  • Options
    Sunday Times

Half of Corbyn's shadow cabinet will back Cameron over air strikes in defiance of Jeremy's Corbyn's opposition
  • Options
    Brian Moore retweeted
    hrtbps ‏@hrtbps 2 hrs2 hours ago
    Extraordinary win for Japan, more so considering they only entered the #RugbyWorldCup to widen the debate.
  • Options
    What grade would you give Jeremy Corbyn after his first week in charge?
    A - Outstanding work - 53%
    B - Has potential to be a high achiever - 35%
    E - Something really needs to change - 5%
    D - Sloppy and struggling - 4%
    C - Must try harder - 3%

Sunday Mirror
  • Options

Sunday Times

Half of Corbyn's shadow cabinet will back Cameron over air strikes in defiance of Jeremy's Corbyn's opposition

Hell, yes.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    So I come back for the night and I see that 1 in 5 Labour voters have NOT gone to the conservatives.
    Not only that but I see that Corbyn is about as popular as Osborne and Sturgeon and that 1 in 4 people think that their own PM is a national security threat.

As I said again and again, Corbyn is a low risk low reward leader that simply solidifies the 2 opposite camps.

And an extra treat to support my view:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 4m4 minutes ago
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON - 39%
    LAB - 31%
    UKIP - 16%
    LDEM - 6%
    (via YouGov)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dair said:

As I was saying ...

Scotland is not and never was a colony. It joined England in a union, having unified the crowns a hundred years earlier. A union that has made both richer, and probably contributed more to the industrial revolution forming in these isles rather than elsewhere.
  • Options

Sunday Times

The russians might shoot down Cameron's fighter jets over Syria anyway.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn was under intense pressure last night after his peace movement published a “disgraceful” diatribe against the Queen.

A poem on the front page of the Stop the War Coalition website alleges that the Queen has a “criminal record” and is “lubricating Britain’s wars”, while the Royal family are arms dealers and “friends to despots and dictators”.

At midday on Saturday, the Telegraph asked Mr Corbyn’s office to comment on the article.
    Almost five hours later, Labour announced that he was standing down as chairman of the Stop the War Coalition after four years in charge.

However, in a gesture of defiance to his critics, he sent the group a message of support, saying it represented “the very best in British political campaigning” and promised that its cause “will remain my cause”.

http://bit.ly/1QPrqln
  • Options
    notme said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

Scotland is not and never was a colony. It joined England in a union, having unified the crowns a hundred years earlier. A union that has made both richer, and probably contributed more to the industrial revolution forming in these isles rather than elsewhere.
    But it didn't join by popular referendum. There was rioting in the streets when the parliamentarians signed the bill.
  • Options

Corbyn's first policy

The East Coast Main Line operated a nationalised service until a few months ago. Has anything improved since Virgin took over?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited September 2015

You know it is quite something when Labour people are relieved with polls showing them 12 and 5% behind the Tories

That is fair enough - but it is also a bit of a poke in the eye for those who were confidently predicting polling results of circa - Con 45 Lab 25. The Opinium figures would imply the Tories losing their majority.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn was under intense pressure last night after his peace movement published a “disgraceful” diatribe against the Queen.

A poem on the front page of the Stop the War Coalition website alleges that the Queen has a “criminal record” and is “lubricating Britain’s wars”, while the Royal family are arms dealers and “friends to despots and dictators”.

At midday on Saturday, the Telegraph asked Mr Corbyn’s office to comment on the article.
    Almost five hours later, Labour announced that he was standing down as chairman of the Stop the War Coalition after four years in charge.

However, in a gesture of defiance to his critics, he sent the group a message of support, saying it represented “the very best in British political campaigning” and promised that its cause “will remain my cause”.

http://bit.ly/1QPrqln

Most politicians belong to a start the war (without a clue of the concequences) coalition.

Jezza and me Hell No.
  • Options

Corbyn's first policy

The East Coast Main Line operated a nationalised service until a few months ago. Has anything improved since Virgin took over?
    They are contracted to return more to the government if that counts.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Corbyn's first policy

If 'the people' want to own the railways can they not buy stock in the operating companies?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Sean_F said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

Apart from the Borders, which we should annex.
  • Options

A constituency advice surgery is not just for supporters its for constituents who require advice (even Tories)

Jollies are for normal politicians who love troughing and taking voters for a ride IMO.
    That is just absurd - representing your country at a World Event is not troughing and taking voters for a ride
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited September 2015
    There seems to be a big movement away from plastic middle ground politicians who defend the status quo because they don't want to offend the centre vote. But there is a great dissatisfaction with the status quo on the both the left (Corbyn) and the right (Farage)and yet still a very substantial status quo bloc in the centre. It is leading to a tri-polar electorate in a bi-polar voting system.

It reminds me of the optimal positioning of icecream salesmen on a beach. If the customers are uniformly distributed on the beach and there are two icecream salesmen, their optimal position is side-by side in the cente so each gets 50%. Any other position is suboptimal because the one who moves from the centre will be pursued by the other who will get a larger share. But it is not optimal for their customers. An optimal positioning would be if each icecream salesman was positioned a third along the beach. Each would still get 50% but the customers wouldn't have to walk as far.

How does this change if the customers are not evenly distributed but form three big separate lumps? I think it's the same problem isn't it? If any ice cream seller moves away from the centre the other one will move towards him and win a bigger share of the customers. So I think any candidate who moves away from the centre will win the activist vote and thereby become a candidate for the election, but will lose the election unless, once selected, they move rapidly to the centre. Interesting to see if Corbyn can do that and still keep his credibility and activist support.

One way is to pick policies that are popular with a majoity such as renationalising the railways at zero cost as the franchises run out.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Brian Moore retweeted
    Extraordinary win for Japan, more so considering they only entered the #RugbyWorldCup to widen the debate.

Lol, that's a superb comment.

I never realised Brian Moore was so astute.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

Apart from the Borders, which we should annex.
    We should abolish the Scottish government and appoint Lord Coe Viceroy of Scotland
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

If 'the people' want to own the railways can they not buy stock in the operating companies?
    The operating companies don't own anything - neither tracks nor trains. The State gives them the right to operate for a fixed term. Once their franchises expire, operations can revert to the public sector just like that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

There seems to be a big movement away from plastic middle ground politicians who defend the status quo because they don't want to offend the centre vote. But there is a great dissatisfaction with the status quo on the both the left (Corbyn) and the right (Farage)and yet still a very substantial status quo bloc in the centre. It is leading to a tri-polar electorate in a bi-polar voting system.

It reminds me of the optimal positioning of icecream salesmen on a beach. If the customers are uniformly distributed on the beach and there are two icecream salesmen, their optimal position is side-by side in the cente so each gets 50%. Any other position is suboptimal because the one who moves from the centre will be pursued by the other who will get a larger share. But it is not optimal for their customers. An optimal positioning would be if each icecream salesman was positioned a third along the beach. Each would still get 50% but the customers wouldn't have to walk as far.

How does this change if the customers are not evenly distributed but form three big separate lumps? I think it's the same problem isn't it? If any ice cream seller moves away from the centre the other one will move towards him and win a bigger share of the customers. So I think any candidate who moves away from the centre will win the activist vote and thereby become a candidate for the election, but will lose the election unless, once selected, they move rapidly to the centre. Interesting to see if Corbyn can do that and still keep his credibility and activist support.

One way is to pick policies that are popular with a majoity such as renationalising the railways at zero cost as the franchises run out.

People on the beach are not spread out according to a normal distribution (bell curve), which means the analogy breaks down compared to political positioning.

Moving away from the centre politically will gather the more excitable elements, but moves away from where the bulk of people are.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Alistair said:

notme said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

But it didn't join by popular referendum. There was rioting in the streets when the parliamentarians signed the bill.
    The scottish King James VI proclaimed himself King of Great Britain in 1604 after he inherited England, and wanted a single parliament, but the english parliament rejected it because they were afraid that his authoritarian scottish style would be overbearing and restrictive of their freedom.

In essence England was annexed by Scotland and was ruled by scots as an autonomous unit for 50 years, the reverse of today's roles.
    The first unified parliament was by Cromwell with the creation of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland.
  • Options

Corbyn's first policy

Many TOCs return a premium to the taxpayer, rather than requiring a grant. See page 4 of:
    http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/18842/rail-finance-statistical-release-2014-15.pdf
  • Options
    @Barnesian - using your analogy, there were some punters at the left hand side of the beach who didn't bother walking so far to get an ice cream. Now that the vendor has moved his pitch they are licking the Mr Whippy.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

The operating companies don't own anything - neither tracks nor trains. The State gives them the right to operate for a fixed term. Once their franchises expire, operations can revert to the public sector just like that.
    What would you do about the ROSCOs and Open Access operators?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I understood virtually all the franchises will be renewed before 2020 on long term contracts going well beyond the Governments next term and re-nationalising without compensation is against EU regulations. Also I remember the disaster of BR and can anyone even start to imagine what would happen when Corbyn's friends in the RMT and ASLEF take control
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

And you lose all hunger and drive to make money and innovate to gain custom. You become organised to suit the people who work for the organisation, not the ones that use it.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

I understood virtually all the franchises will be renewed before 2020 on long term contracts going well beyond the Governments next term and re-nationalising without compensation is against EU regulations. Also I remember the disaster of BR and can anyone even start to imagine what would happen when Corbyn's friends in the RMT and ASLEF take control
    Nevertheless it is a popular policy and we are talking about getting elected.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Speedy said:

Sunday Times

The russians might shoot down Cameron's fighter jets over Syria anyway.
    That would be interesting. You realise you are talking war with Russia, @Speedy.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Hear Hear,

The man that chants: Power for 'The People' is just trying to get power over 'People'

If the railways were really so bad then why would more people be choosing to use them, yes we would all like them to be cheaper, quicker, cleaner and so on. but I think part of the reason more people are talking about railways nowadays is become more people are using them now.

With lots of franchises up for renewal over the next 5 years the government has a great opportunity to improve things even more by expanding open assess on the railways. for more info watch this youtube video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0_IORzvFwA
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Rolling Stock could be either purchased from the ROSCOs or hired until it is scrapped, with all new stock bought by the state operator. Open access operators can carry on as long as it is on a level playing field.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Corbyn's first policy

Which is an important point, when those who say the east coast delivered a profit under state ownership, why cant they all be state owned?

Of course it was a franchise, they pay a fee, and as part of the contract rolling stock is included. If i remember the fee that virgin will have to pay is about double what the public owned company did.

Public owned companies can work like any other, but the long term consequences of mass ownership of the railways reverting back to the government, is the exact same as last time. Decline, decline, decline.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Well that is an amazing answer - we only want to promote popular policies to get elected even if they are not workable
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Barnesian said:

People on the beach are not spread out according to a normal distribution (bell curve), which means the analogy breaks down compared to political positioning.

Moving away from the centre politically will gather the more excitable elements, but moves away from where the bulk of people are.

I'm suggesting that there are three bell curves. I agree that moving away from the centre gathers those on one of the bell curves but loses the election.
  • Options
    notme said:

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

And you lose all hunger and drive to make money and innovate to gain custom. You become organised to suit the people who work for the organisation, not the ones that use it.
    Just like John Lewis?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

A fair few expire before 2020. See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_operating_trains_in_the_United_Kingdom#Franchised_passenger_operator_structure_in_Great_Britain
  • Options

That is just absurd - representing your country at a World Event is not troughing and taking voters for a ride
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-criticised-jeremy-corbyn-not-6478713#ICID=sharebar_twitter

i think he was right to prioritse this.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Brian Moore retweeted

Lol, that's a superb comment.

I never realised Brian Moore was so astute.
    He's quite a sharp cookie, probably my favourite England rugbyist.
    Not a terribly high bar to get over, mind.
  • Options
    JeremyCorbyn4PM ‏@JeremyCorbyn4PM 6m6 minutes ago
    Labour would bring all academies and free schools bck under local control
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Rolling Stock could be either purchased from the ROSCOs or hired until it is scrapped, with all new stock bought by the state operator. Open access operators can carry on as long as it is on a level playing field.
    AIUI the ROSCOs contracts are with the operating company, not the government. They will have the government by the short 'n curlies when it comes to the renegotiation.

Open Access operators will want a level playing field from the government. They may not get it in a nationalised system.

And here's another one: what about freight?
  • Options
    Alt Cricket ‏@AltCricket 18m18 minutes ago
    If you're a Japanese West Ham fan who also supports Gloucestershire, today was the best day of your life.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Well that is an amazing answer - we only want to promote popular policies to get elected even if they are not workable
    It might be amazing but that's what politicians do. Look at Cameron's promises e.g. on immigration numbers. No "ifs" or "buts".
  • Options

notme said:

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Just like John Lewis?
    And the co-op...oh.
  • Options
    notme said:

HaroldO said:

Corbyn's first policy

Which is an important point, when those who say the east coast delivered a profit under state ownership, why cant they all be state owned?

Of course it was a franchise, they pay a fee, and as part of the contract rolling stock is included. If i remember the fee that virgin will have to pay is about double what the public owned company did.

Public owned companies can work like any other, but the long term consequences of mass ownership of the railways reverting back to the government, is the exact same as last time. Decline, decline, decline.
    The rail network and the road network were both under state control for many decades. It was government policy to shrink the former and expand the latter. If the political will is there a public railway can thrive and expand. Just look at France.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

It may seem like a popular policy right now but that doesn't mean it will after it has been properly scrutinised in the media, in a GE.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that when the costs, legal constraints and so on, it may not look so attractive, and if JC has made this a canter-peace of is campaign, which it seems he is planning on, then there is a risk. Especially if by that time passenger numbers are still rising, and satisfaction levels are improving.
  • Options

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-criticised-jeremy-corbyn-not-6478713#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Not at all - he could have done both
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    notme said:

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Perfect example - the NHS
  • Options

Ha - nice little coup for Corbyn; I hope those who publicly slammed him apologise.
  • Options

notme said:

HaroldO said:

Corbyn's first policy

The rail network and the road network were both under state control for many decades. It was government policy to shrink the former and expand the latter. If the political will is there a public railway can thrive and expand. Just look at France.
    I wouldn't think France is a beacon of economic success
  • Options
    notme said:

HaroldO said:

Corbyn's first policy

Every time I ask a nationalisation supporter why it won't be the same as last time all I get is "because". Privatisation has been far from perfect but it has turned around the industry in two decades.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

....and on and on and on..... :)
  • Options

Ha - nice little coup for Corbyn; I hope those who publicly slammed him apologise.
    You have a very narrow view - he could and should have done both
  • Options

notme said:

HaroldO said:

Corbyn's first policy

By many accounts, the French railways are not thriving. Whilst the TGV services get the glory, the local lines are often in a very poor state. ISTR their usage levels are about the same as out network as well, in terms of population-usage.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

AIUI the ROSCOs contracts are with the operating company, not the government. They will have the government by the short 'n curlies when it comes to the renegotiation.

Open Access operators will want a level playing field from the government. They may not get it in a nationalised system.

Unlike on the vast majority of passenger routes, there is competition for rail freight operations, so we can probably leave that alone for now.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Would be great for my job. But large multi academy trusts have a lot of power now, so would be no means an easy task. And what if data shows an improvement in standards for academies by that point?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

It might be amazing but that's what politicians do. Look at Cameron's promises e.g. on immigration numbers. No "ifs" or "buts".
    What happened to the new way to do politics - didn't last long
  • Options
    edited September 2015

notme said:

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Just like John Lewis?
    No, nothing like John Lewis. John Lewis operates in a competitive market place, it has to make money, it has to innovate to gain custom. Whatever its high minded principles, it has a bottom line, and the bottom line is making money. Even if at the end of it, it redistributes that to its staff, either through ownership returns, or however it organises itself.

There can be a very fine line between making a healthy profit, and an unhealthy loss. JL is a sharp operation. If JL was ran by your local council, or the DWP, dont be under any impression it would be afloat without its costs been funded outside of its business model.
  • Options

Not really, perhaps he could, perhaps he couldn't, I'm just saying in the hands of a good PR this would be a nice little wrong footing of his opponents.
  • Options
    Early days and sample under 200 but Opinium which doesn't publich specifically Scottish sub samples has an overall SNP vote which implies party rating in Scotland of around 55 per cent!

As in Comres cold comfort for the theory of the Corbyn Scottish bounce!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Meeting your constituents ? Tories say: What is that ?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

As I was saying ...

I seem to have far more idea than you do.

The people of Catalonia are deciding to throw off the shackles of the Castillian Empire and form a nation state where they control what happens. It's called democracy.

Your chief concern - that some businesses might lost money and investments should be pulled - are not democracy.
    Democracy is when sometimes you lose.
  • Options

Not really, perhaps he could, perhaps he couldn't, I'm just saying in the hands of a good PR this would be a nice little wrong footing of his opponents.
    The average voter would expect the leader of the opposition to attend the opening of a World Event - are you saying he would have avoided the Olympics - just bad diary management but also a lack of respect
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Corbyn's first policy

Unlike on the vast majority of passenger routes, there is competition for rail freight operations, so we can probably leave that alone for now.
    You really haven't thought this through at all, have you?

The problem is not just one of competition between companies for traffic. It is also about competition for paths on the network. How do you guarantee that private operators such as OA and freight will be treated fairly, especially with such a religious fervour for nationalisation?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Anyone else find it weird that despite: the US Presidential Primaries being a constant media focus; despite more money being spent already than we spent on our entire election; and despite the US media's love of the polling horserace even more than ours; no-one bothers to snap poll the primary debates? In fact it's been days since the CNN debate and we haven't had any national primary polling at all. How does that fit with the rest of the over the top focus on the primaries?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

It could be a manifesto commitment. I remember either BT or British Gas actually mentioned in their prospectus that they could be renationalised.

To get long term franchises , the railway companies will have to pay a lot of money. Nationalising them would basically mean returning that money.
  • Options
  • Options
    surbiton said:

On what evidence do you say that. Our two adjacent constituencies in North Wales both have conservative MP's who hold regular constituency meetings and are in the local press all the time. But that's why they were both elected with increased majorities this year
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I'm not sure that a supporter of a party that had Stuart Bell as an MP should be taking that line ...
  • Options

The average voter would expect the leader of the opposition to attend the opening of a World Event - are you saying he would have avoided the Olympics - just bad diary management but also a lack of respect
    Freebie junkie MPs would agree.

I think true Rugby fans deserve tickets ahead of troughing politicians myself.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

It could be a manifesto commitment. I remember either BT or British Gas actually mentioned in their prospectus that they could be renationalised.

To get long term franchises , the railway companies will have to pay a lot of money. Nationalising them would basically mean returning that money.
    And paying compensation as required by EU - if we are still in the EU of course
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Opinum has a very interesting table, breaking up support by political orientation:

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/sites/ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/files/vi_15_09_2015_tables_0.pdf

Very Left ( percentage of sample 3.5%): LAB 55, CON 19, GRN 10, UKIP 6, SNP 5, LD 1
    Left (15%): ------------------------------------------LAB 72, CON 9, SNP 8, GRN 5, UKIP 3, LD 2
    Centre Left (19.5%):------------------------------LAB 47, LD 15, CON 14, SNP 9, UKIP 8, GRN 6
    Centre (31.3%): ----------------------------------CON 35, LAB 28, UKIP 18, LD 8, SNP 6, GRN 4
    Centre-Right ( 19.7%):---------------------------CON 73, UKIP 15, LAB 5, LD 3, GRN 2, SNP 1
    Right (8.4%):---------------------------------------CON 69, UKIP 25, LAB 4, LD 1, others 0
    Very Right (2.6%):---------------------------------CON 53, UKIP 25, LAB 15, BNP 8, others 0

There are more people on the Left (38%) than on the Right (30.7%) or the Centre (31.3%), however the Tories are ahead because the Centre-Right is unified behind them while the Centre-Left is not unified behind Labour.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    surbiton said:

I think this comment encapsulates the state of the Left today. Erecting fantasy strawmen so they can knock them down and feel good about themselves.
  • Options

Isn't your mate Toby a big rugby man ?
  • Options

Sunday Times

The people will not back this one. Their CLPs will cut them out.
  • Options

So under Corbyn our National Events would not be supported - but he prefers to have Hamas, the IRA and Putin as his friends - says it all really
  • Options
    The thing that strikes me from those polls is that the LibDems are still doing crap.

Perhaps they wont get a recovery despite not being in office.
  • Options

Corbyn's first policy

Many TOCs return a premium to the taxpayer, rather than requiring a grant. See page 4 of:
    http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/18842/rail-finance-statistical-release-2014-15.pdf
    And the Nationalised East Coast service was the second highest return to the taxpayer on a passenger kilometer basis.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Opinum has a very interesting table, breaking up support by political orientation:

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/sites/ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/files/vi_15_09_2015_tables_0.pdf

Very Left ( percentage of sample 3.5%): LAB 55, CON 19, GRN 10, UKIP 6, SNP 5, LD 1
    Left (15%): ------------------------------------------LAB 72, CON 9, SNP 8, GRN 5, UKIP 3, LD 2
    Centre Left (19.5%):------------------------------LAB 47, LD 15, CON 14, SNP 9, UKIP 8, GRN 6
    Centre (31.3%): ----------------------------------CON 35, LAB 28, UKIP 18, LD 8, SNP 6, GRN 4
    Centre-Right ( 19.7%):---------------------------CON 73, UKIP 15, LAB 5, LD 3, GRN 2, SNP 1
    Right (8.4%):---------------------------------------CON 69, UKIP 25, LAB 4, LD 1, others 0
    Very Right (2.6%):---------------------------------CON 53, UKIP 25, LAB 15, BNP 8, others 0

There are more people on the Left (38%) than on the Right (30.7%) or the Centre (31.3%), however the Tories are ahead because the Centre-Right is unified behind them while the Centre-Left is not unified behind Labour.

15% of the Very Right support Labour ?
  • Options

Isn't your mate Toby a big rugby man ?
    He previously played Rugby Union for Sheffield Tigers and is a qualified coach.

He is also a big man as EIC will confirm.

He is a shadow defence spokesman I note (not taken his bat home).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

15% of the Very Right support Labour ?
    19% of the very left support Con though!