Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hillary bounces back in the Democratic nomination betting a

124»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I see that Boris, who was tough on immigration at the Tory conference, has said this in Japan:

"One of the questions that people in Britain might think about is obviously that [Japan has] very, very low immigration and very, very low, in fact negative, population growth, they have got a shrinking population.That has, of course, contributed to the long period of economic stagnation they are going through..."

I don't know why we bother to keep track of what Boris thinks, really. He seems utterly flexible according to who he's talking to - the ultimate personality politician with no particular views at all. That can be seen as positive - I'd admit that as a Labour supporter I think he's not been that bad a mayor, as he's tried to keep in with London voters. But electing him to anything serious would be a bit unnerving, since there seems literally no way of predicting what he might say or do.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

The SNP isn't working. I dare say there's a large emigration of job seekers from the Nat occupied territory that ameliorates those shocking Scottish unemployment figures.

The Indyref forced finance companies to admit they would move out of Scotland
    If you dig down a bit further into the sectors, the statistics tell us that finance and insurance contracted more than 1% in the most recent quarter, continuing a decline since the start of last year, and 3.6% over the 12-month period.
    Indyref2 is just making it worse
    If the Nats are too feart to use their powers they could at least rule out indyref 2 until 2030 - would be a much needed boost for Scottish business.
    Tweedledee and tweedledum regaling each other from their CCHQ scripts. Could either find Scotland on a map.
    Dunno but I can by looking outside the window.
    That is the M25 , look again
    Try again - the M is correct - clue I can just about see a large 3D whisky brand in stainless steel.

Are we playing "I Spy" now
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. 63, venison's delicious. And we have too many deer. These two facts present the obvious course of action of shooting and cooking lots of deer.

Venison may be my favourite meat. Using a George Foreman Grill, there's zero fat produced from cooking a venison burger, compared to a reasonable (though not enormous) quantity from a beef burger.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, and perhaps more likely to be leftwing, given the divergence between polling and reality ahead of the last election?

That was only a few months ago. Seems bloody ages.

People who are more politically interested (Outside of professional interest) tend to be more leftwing I think. Politicalbetting.com is the exception that proves the rule.
    PB Tories, eh? :lol:
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Miss Plato, you ursaphobe!

Aaahh! But is our Plato planning a coat?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

The SNP isn't working. I dare say there's a large emigration of job seekers from the Nat occupied territory that ameliorates those shocking Scottish unemployment figures.

If you dig down a bit further into the sectors, the statistics tell us that finance and insurance contracted more than 1% in the most recent quarter, continuing a decline since the start of last year, and 3.6% over the 12-month period.
    If the Nats are too feart to use their powers they could at least rule out indyref 2 until 2030 - would be a much needed boost for Scottish business.
    Tweedledee and tweedledum regaling each other from their CCHQ scripts. Could either find Scotland on a map.
    Try again - the M is correct - clue I can just about see a large 3D whisky brand in stainless steel.

Ach no fun malc - you probably never leave your central belt pile anyway.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It would probably be more helpful to The Malcoholic if you indicate where you are by naming local public houses.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, the betting aspect is a critical part of that, I think.

Mr. Dair, haven't watched QI habitually for a few years now, and I agree that a large part of that is the rather cheap cock jokes [not that I'm against cock jokes, but just as I don't watch Top Gear for the cars, I don't watch QI for that].
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I wonder what Jeremy Corbyn will ask about today. Prisons in Saudi Arabia and Lord Ashcroft's domicile must be tempting.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, surely you mean: "I wonder what Janet, a housewife from Sussex, will ask about today."?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It would probably be more helpful to The Malcoholic if you indicate where you are by naming local public houses.

I see your such a cretin you have to repeat your moronic supposed wit ad nauseum. What a loser.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Plastic Scot Malcolm has a lovely view of Bath Abbey and Milsom Street.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

I don't go to the central belt , I am a country boy.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Carnyx said:

I have camped in some of those remote areas of Scotland...I would hate to be woken up by a very hungry wolf looking for breakfast...with me as the main course.

Those midges feast on tourists already. I would swap them for wolves anyday.
    Highland Cows probably pose more risk to campers and walkers than wolves.

Having said that, I'm not in favour of the reintroduction of wolves into the Highlands.
    IIRC, reintroduction of wolves was actively considered for Rum [edit:both an island and a National Nature Reserve] in the 1970s-1980s but it was decided that the island was too small to support a reasonably sized population without the normal stochastic variation of population leading to local extinction too soon.

Lynx is much more doable in any case [edit] for Scotland as a whole. Smaller, higher population density, eat smaller prey.

But overpopulation of Red Deer continues to be a worry.

The idea of reintroducing wolves seems quite ridiculous, there is no benefit and only cost. The reintroduction of raptors or lynx which target vermin is a much clearer choice.

The whole business around deer seems bizarre to me and what I don;t get is why the marketplace for consumer venison is still considered (and priced) as a premium product at premium prices when it would appear to be an excellent and healthier alternative to beef and pork.

I'd be interested to know what is preventing such a change as it would seem that if left to the market the overpopulation problem would be solved and provide the country with a huge amount of healthy, cheap meat.
    What's preventing it is a society of fat, overfed people who would recoil at the thought of eating Bambi. They'd far prefer a pizza covered in ketchup.

I suspect that it may be a deeper issue than this. I don't know which is likely to be a bigger impact but it is likely that some of it is down to landowners preferring to keep it as a premium product and restricting the amount that is available to the market and/or the Beef and Pork industries exerting a lot of political influence to prevent a sustained government effort (such as setting up a Venison Board and public education campaign to promote venison's taste and health benefits.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Mr. Slackbladder, whilst Fry can be full of himself, I do agree with your assessment.

There are also rumours of Doctor Who either being axed or changed to a few long 'films' [think Sherlock].

You do wonder whether they're in self-harm mode as a protest against their funding.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Plastic Scot Malcolm has a lovely view of Bath Abbey and Milsom Street.

dribble , dribble , dribble
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Mr. Isam, indeed. Anti-depressant rates are so high that there are trace amounts in the water.

They're given too readily, and then people, as your friend's example indicates, struggle to get off them.

I've recently been on Sertraline, which work well and are not particularly addictive. Zopiclone (a sleeping tablet) reduced my IQ to that of a Labrador, never been so befuddled in my life. No, I'm not on them now :).
  • Options
    Corbyn needs a new suit AND..........he's losing it; badly. :)
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited October 2015

Mr. Slackbladder, whilst Fry can be full of himself, I do agree with your assessment.

There are also rumours of Doctor Who either being axed or changed to a few long 'films' [think Sherlock].

Dr Who came back well but began to lose its way some time ago. It's not the choice of actors for me but the general rushing round gabble babble gabble emoting unthinking unfathomable blarney of it all.
    Dr Who lands, Dr Who has adventure (that you can follow!), Dr Who leaves. What's wrong with that?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    antifrank said:

I wonder what Jeremy Corbyn will ask about today. Prisons in Saudi Arabia and Lord Ashcroft's domicile must be tempting.

The people ask the questions. He just relays them !
  • Options
    Dair said:

The problem with QI is not merely the Quota for unfunny women, the core problem is Alan Davies who over the last 3 or 4 seasons has reduced much of the humour to puerile penis jokes which fall flat ...
    Well, it's probably hard for a man of his age to keep it up for series after series.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

antifrank said:

The people ask the questions. He just relays them !
    It's funny how those Listeners' Choice radio shows always end up getting choices from the Top 40.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Tory MPs burst out laughing as Corbyn takes to his feet to precisely no cheers from Labour benches #PMQs
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Swapping statistics. Snooze.
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, surely you mean: "I wonder what Janet, a housewife from Sussex, will ask about today."?

I really hope one gets sneaked in as from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, and perhaps more likely to be leftwing, given the divergence between polling and reality ahead of the last election?

People who are more politically interested (Outside of professional interest) tend to be more leftwing I think. Politicalbetting.com is the exception that proves the rule.
    How does that explain right-wing people being more likely to vote? When elections have low turnouts and are limited to the more politically interested, the right always does better.

I think it just seems like there are more politically interested left-wingers, because they have less self-awareness about sharing their views. Shy Tories and all that.
  • Options
    Mr Toad is looking particularly plump today.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Why's he asking "Kelly's" question if he already knows the answer :D ?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Mr. 63, venison's delicious. And we have too many deer. These two facts present the obvious course of action of shooting and cooking lots of deer.

Venison may be my favourite meat. Using a George Foreman Grill, there's zero fat produced from cooking a venison burger, compared to a reasonable (though not enormous) quantity from a beef burger.

Agree entirely but society at large won't accept it, try to get a child to eat deer or, dare I say it, horse. There's perfectly edible cheap meat everywhere but most people would rather have a take away.

• Options
    Welfare, then London rents.

Does the UK exist outside London for some of these MPs?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. Flightpath, quite. And destroying the cybermen with emotions is utterly tedious.

However, I did happen to see the last episode (it was that or the English rugby team) and must say I really rather enjoyed it.

Mr. Herdson, it's a rather obvious approach, if an organisation chooses to adopt it. Just cut something much loved and high profile, then blame it on cuts whilst executive pay remains undiminished.

That said, I think Top Gear went because of Cohen et al's personal dislike of Clarkson. Punching a colleague is a serious business, but a former director general had, earlier in his career, bitten someone, and that didn't harm his prospects.

Edited extra bit: Mr. 63, *ask* a child?! What a notion.

Cook a meal, and offer the options of eating it or going without (and a chocolate dessert if you eat it). Watch the minors' resolve crumble beneath the invincible power of Behaviourism!

That said, I do seem to have a completely contrary approach (to other people) when it comes to food. Gluttony is the sin with which I have struggled the least.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Pulpstar said:

How does that explain right-wing people being more likely to vote? When elections have low turnouts and are limited to the more politically interested, the right always does better.

I think it just seems like there are more politically interested left-wingers, because they have less self-awareness about sharing their views. Shy Tories and all that.
    I think there is a massive centre ground of people who don't particularly care too much about politics on a day to day basis, but will vote and are perhaps just a touch right of centre.

The left is a weird coalition of the profoundly noisy (twitter) and the completely disinterested (Non voters).
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It does?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    JEO said:

Pulpstar said:

Bingo. Because their views are acceptable - right wing views are considered distasteful.
  • Options
    Looking at the tax credit case Corbyn quotes, the PM's folk should crunch the numbers afterwards and see how "worse off" that lady will be over the course of the 5 years.
    With a circa £2.00 an hour NMW rise (just under 30%) on top of the rise in the basic starting point for income tax and any other elements such as housing rent decreases and nursery provision, it maybe that she has an overall increase outpacing predicted inflation by 2020.
  • Options
    "Can I bring the prime minister back to reality," says the Labour leader.

HAHAHHAHAHhHAHAHaHHAhaaHAHAHA
  • Options
    Rashid is about to top the table (By quite a way) for worst statistical debut by an England bowler.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Shh. Can you imagine what would happen if Londoners escaped into the beautiful, uncrowded, affordable provinces?

That said, I did like the stats on Jeremy's constituency. 28% homeowners, 73% don't own a car. Just like the rest of the country :).
  • Options

Looking at the tax credit case Corbyn quotes, the PM's folk should crunch the numbers afterwards and see how "worse off" that lady will be over the course of the 5 years.
    With a circa £2.00 an hour NMW rise (just under 30%) on top of the rise in the basic starting point for income tax and any other elements such as housing rent decreases and nursery provision, it maybe that she has an overall increase outpacing predicted inflation by 2020.

£3,790.80 salary increase - which will be tax free if they keep their pledges.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited October 2015

"Mr. Flightpath, quite. And destroying the cybermen with emotions is utterly tedious.

However, I did happen to see the last episode (it was that or the English rugby team) and must say I really rather enjoyed it
    ..."

Yes it looked OK from what I saw.
    Leaving aside the typical barb about the exec and his billion pound bonus, it looked like a regulation adventure.
    With good effects.

• Options
    Well I thought Corbyn pretty pathetic on PMQ. Cannot think quickly on his feet; will need monumental back-up if he is not to sink in the quicksands of the commons.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Pulpstar said:

Reality like not being able to afford to buy a house and like being £1000+ a year worse off due to tax credit cuts. Not a laughing matter IMO
  • Options

Mr. Flightpath, quite. And destroying the cybermen with emotions is utterly tedious.

However, I did happen to see the last episode (it was that or the English rugby team) and must say I really rather enjoyed it.

This seaason does seem quite excellent so far with some scares that I'm sure will be giving kids lots of nightmares (as they should). The Hand Mines in the season premier were excellently chilling.

They seem to be returning to more of an old school Who (without the crappy effects and acting) which is fun. Hopefully Moffat can keep it up all season.
  • Options

Agree entirely but society at large won't accept it, try to get a child to eat deer or, dare I say it, horse. There's perfectly edible cheap meat everywhere but most people would rather have a take away.

Hmm there isn't really an overabundance of wild horses in the UK though. Saying that I didn't see it on the menu down in Devon where it could be viable.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Whisper it... I actually though Jeremy Corbyn was quite good then. David Cameron - admittedly good at thinking on his feet - looked a bit discomfited.

It can't be comfortable for a PM of any party to know that the public finances are in such a state that £1800 in annual tax credits needs to be taken from a lower-income worker, or that a £450k house in London falls within the "starter home" bracket.

Corbyn is certainly a better operator in parliament than he is among the media/wider political bloodsport.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    So Corbyn didn't ask about Saudi Arabia. I wonder what he was scared of?
  • Options
    Hahahaha.

Cameron claims the Afghan government is in control of Afghanistan.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Pulpstar said:

Reality like not being able to afford to buy a house and like being £1000+ a year worse off due to tax credit cuts. Not a laughing matter IMO
    Since when was £450k ever a starter home though ?

That's a second or third home for most people.

I doubt the Gov't has ever labelled a 450k home as 'starter'... the line of attack is a nonsense. There's nothing wrong with 450k homes being built, all increase to supply of homes is good in the round.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

Why bother when they've already withdrawn the bid?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Whatever you think of Corbyn, and most on here don't think a lot, Cameron over as a bully at PMQ.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I doubt the Gov't has ever labelled a 450k home as 'starter'... the line of attack is a nonsense. There's nothing wrong with 450k homes being built, all increase to supply of homes is good in the round.
    God, Cameron being held responsible for estate agents' marketing fluff. This is the robust opposition that we've been lacking for so long.
  • Options
    The London housing market is bananas anyway though.
  • Options
    The commentariat seem split on whether Jeremy Corbyn's style works, and not along party lines.

Andrew Sparrow in the Guardian:

That was a creditable performance from Jeremy Corbyn - serious and abuse-free, in a manner that seemed to go down well last month (see 11.51am) - but, even though Corbyn was using follow-up questions today, he has not worked out how to “weaponise” them, and Cameron was hardly discomforted at all.

Patrick Wintour, also of the Guardian:

By recounting stories of real people in poverty or struggling with housing, Corbyn dignifies PMQs, and raises the tone. It's progress.

Tim Shipman:

Better outing from Corbyn. Tax credits a useful scab to pick at. Cameron sound on the big economics. But the Corbyn deprecation of Dave good

Jim Pickard of the FT:

Jim Pickard Retweeted Sam Macrory
    I think Corbyn is playing this rather well

Paul Waugh:

Corbyn first follow up Q was ok, second fell flat. Cameron allowed to repeat child poverty stats and fiscal charter borrowing message

• Options
    For our history fans
    In today's Daily Telegraph. http://t.co/lH22yp1kEF
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Fenster said:

Whisper it... I actually though Jeremy Corbyn was quite good then. David Cameron - admittedly good at thinking on his feet - looked a bit discomfited.

It can't be comfortable for a PM of any party to know that the public finances are in such a state that £1800 in annual tax credits needs to be taken from a lower-income worker, or that a £450k house in London falls within the "starter home" bracket.

Corbyn is certainly a better operator in parliament than he is among the media/wider political bloodsport.

Quite possibly, but i think it's also negated PMQs as much of anything at all.

He'll be 'ok', but it won't give Corbyn any big wins, and thats what he needs to get his party even moderately behind him.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

I think (as you intimate?) scared of his own disreputable Middle East connections being brought up. This is something of a stalemate - by the same token I expect Cameron to avoid bringing up Hamas and Hezbollah un-bidden so as not to provoke retorts from Corbyn about our cosy relationship with the KSA.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614
    antifrank said:

The commentariat seem split on whether Jeremy Corbyn's style works, and not along party lines.

Andrew Sparrow in the Guardian:

That was a creditable performance from Jeremy Corbyn - serious and abuse-free, in a manner that seemed to go down well last month (see 11.51am) - but, even though Corbyn was using follow-up questions today, he has not worked out how to “weaponise” them, and Cameron was hardly discomforted at all.

Patrick Wintour, also of the Guardian:

By recounting stories of real people in poverty or struggling with housing, Corbyn dignifies PMQs, and raises the tone. It's progress.

Tim Shipman:

Better outing from Corbyn. Tax credits a useful scab to pick at. Cameron sound on the big economics. But the Corbyn deprecation of Dave good

Jim Pickard of the FT:

Jim Pickard Retweeted Sam Macrory
    I think Corbyn is playing this rather well

Paul Waugh:

Corbyn first follow up Q was ok, second fell flat. Cameron allowed to repeat child poverty stats and fiscal charter borrowing message

Listening to it (rather than watching), they both sound pretty evenly matched - Cameron on the data, Corbyn on the 'people bit'.

For once Robertson muffed it - asking a very partial question on Syrian refugees which was deservedly squashed.....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr Cameron should have rammed home the messages about Help to Buy and shared equity on those, and compared achievable numbers with JC's borderline case.
  • Options

Fenster said:

Quite possibly, but i think it's also negated PMQs as much of anything at all.

He'll be 'ok', but it won't give Corbyn any big wins, and thats what he needs to get his party even moderately behind him.
    Yeah, I don't think he'll get headlines on the 10 o'clock news but he's a decent operator in parliament and he can use PMQs to serve two purposes: 1. Raise morale of the PLP and 2. Use genuine emails from genuinely suffering people to gain traction with the political writers.

But I guess it's all a moot point because the performance of the shadow cabinet outside of parliament so far has been woeful. I still think the Labour party will split under his leadership. His supporters and the PLP are so at odds it can't possibly work.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Seems the football equivalent of both sides 'parking the bus' and messing about in the middle of the pitch.

Cameron can't directly attack the questions as they come from 'members of the public', but Corbyn can't make any direct hits as the questions and follow up aren't directed enough, and easy to fob off with stats.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808

I think the point is that, as always, the cutback elements of the tax credit changes are front loaded, while the living wage increases are heavily phased. Deficit comes down faster, but at the expense of a one or two year cash flow crisis for the poor.

Likewise with the reductions in benefits, the effect is front loaded with the new and especially quality jobs (as opposed to minimum wage, ZHC and poverty-line self-employment) to come later.

Or housing benefit cuts to drive rent reductions.

The destination sounds good, and the opposition should not just simply say 'Can't get there from here', but pointing out that the Conservatives have chosen to build this road along the cheapest but most damaging route has got to be legitimate.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Have a look at the Daily Mail's article on 1970s Glasgow. We've collectively come a long way in 50 years.

That's not to denigrate people who (as always happens) suffer when circumstances change - be that the economy, government policy and so on. We just have to keep a sense of perspective.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mr Cameron should have rammed home the messages about Help to Buy and shared equity on those, and compared achievable numbers with JC's borderline case.
    Telegraph, couple of days ago:

"The price of these "starter homes", after the discount is applied, will be capped at £250,000 across the UK and £450,000 in London."
  • Options

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"The price of these "starter homes", after the discount is applied, will be capped at £250,000 across the UK and £450,000 in London."
    I'm never keen on these sorts of policies. They seem like enormous giveaways to a handful of people, rather than addressing the underlying causes to the problem to make affordability better for all.
  • Options
    Forbes ‏@Forbes 9m9 minutes ago
    Did you feel the Bern during last night’s #DemDebate?
    Twitter users certainly did: http://onforb.es/1Mz7N1c

Bernie sanders won the Democratic debate on twitter.

New thread please! :D

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

No, it's a Government figure - they will count £450K AFTER the discount as a starter home in London. It's weird, and therefore quite reasonable to attack it!
  • Options
    Spot on

Seems the football equivalent of both sides 'parking the bus' and messing about in the middle of the pitch.

Cameron can't directly attack the questions as they come from 'members of the public', but Corbyn can't make any direct hits as the questions and follow up aren't directed enough, and easy to fob off with stats.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The London housing market is bananas anyway though. ''

There is evidence it is coming off the boil, big time. The standard reported last night about huge discounts being given to get premium properties away.

Only a matter of time before it filters downwards.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

It always has been. When I lived there it was all rented bedsits for all but a lucky few.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It always has been. When I lived there it was all rented bedsits for all but a lucky few.
    The divergence with the rest of the country has increased over the last 20 years though, and is continuing to do so.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Pulpstar said:

No, it's a Government figure - they will count £450K AFTER the discount as a starter home in London. It's weird, and therefore quite reasonable to attack it!
    A house is a house though, I have no idea what the obsession is with 'starter homes' though (Seemingly on both sides of the political divide). Like money, houses are fungible and don't particularly care if they are lived in by first time buyers or second time sellers. The increase of supply is the important part.
  • Options
    JEO said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm never keen on these sorts of policies. They seem like enormous giveaways to a handful of people, rather than addressing the underlying causes to the problem to make affordability better for all.
    Can you not see all those poor people queuing up with their £450K
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A house is a house though, I have no idea what the obsession is with 'starter homes' though (Seemingly on both sides of the political divide). Like money, houses are fungible and don't particularly care if they are lived in by first time buyers or second time sellers. The increase of supply is the important part.
    Sure, but if the Government devises a policy explicitly based on the assumption that £450K is a starter home, they can't complain if they're criticised for it - the point is that it plays to the "out of touch" image. (I was disagreeing with your saying that it was a nonsense line of attack.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

How can anyone who wants to release ferocious, wild, possibly man eating animals into the wild..be taken seriously. Just hire a specialist for the day..

Quite. More deer = more venison burgers. I don't see the downside.
    Works for me.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    Just catching up with PMQs, and I see Liz McInnes is calling for unions to be allowed to perform electronic balloting of members.

I hope she resigns as an MP if she's so pig-thick as to believe that is workable.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Have a look at the Daily Mail's article on 1970s Glasgow. We've collectively come a long way in 50 years.

That's not to denigrate people who (as always happens) suffer when circumstances change - be that the economy, government policy and so on. We just have to keep a sense of perspective.
    Blinking 'eck. I just saw those Glasgow homes on the Mail website. Bonkers.
  • Options

Philip Cowley
    15% of public claim to have watched last PMQs "in full" - yeah, right!

http://t.co/eQohDbcU6m

Indeed - I'm a political saddo and I think I've watched it in full once in a year, and that was because the great JC.
  • Options

Philip Cowley
    15% of public claim to have watched last PMQs "in full" - yeah, right!

http://t.co/eQohDbcU6m

Indeed - I'm a political saddo and I think I've watched it in full once in a year, and that was because the great JC.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

Mr. Isam, indeed. Anti-depressant rates are so high that there are trace amounts in the water.

They're given too readily, and then people, as your friend's example indicates, struggle to get off them.

There is a new novel out about society's reliance on them to make children behave (the modern cane for children that don't do as they are told) called 'concentr8'... Might be an interesting read
    The précis didn't float my boat at all tbh. Big pharma..... ADD.... medicalising non-existent conditions.... rough kids... Just a whole mish-mash of issues in various shades of conspiracy theory.

Not inaccurate though. Although, to be fair, most big pharma have steered very far away from ADD.
    Pro_Rata said:

Oh for the day when a whole raft of common mental and behavioural conditions can be not only explained but moreover diagnosed by directly measuring the underlying genetics and biochemistry rather than by primarily classifying illness with the type of questionnaire based diagnosis that the DSM system codifies, with all its associated pitfalls.

It's coming. Biomarkers are the most important area of research right now.
    Pro_Rata said:

Of course, we will still have to address as society where the boundary of medical intervention should lie.

Indeed we do
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Those pictures remind us all what the labour party was for.

Is it a victim of its own success?? is its mission over???
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm pretty sure it's worse now:

http://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/images/2014/06/blogs/buttonwood039s-notebook/20140510_woc873.png
  • Options
    The concept of "starter homes" is not really an incentive to atually build more homes. It's mostly designed as a distributive effect, i.e. who buys the homes that there are.

From my perspective whatever I think of that it is a distraction compared to the systemic reasons too few homes are being built (materials, labour, sites, planning, competition).

I feel the same way about Labour efforts in the same vein, including rent controls.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Those pictures remind us all what the labour party was for.

Is it a victim of its own success?? is its mission over???

Tories will have it back to that the way they are going.
  • Options

Just catching up with PMQs, and I see Liz McInnes is calling for unions to be allowed to perform electronic balloting of members.

I hope she resigns as an MP if she's so pig-thick as to believe that is workable.

It's no more unworkable than postal voting.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2015
    I always thought housing in Scotland was in the remit of the Devolved Scottish Govt..
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    JEO said:

MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a way of appearing to do something. Cameron claims his hero is Macmillan but there's no sign of him following the former PM's massive house building programme (300K a year!).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

It's no more unworkable than postal voting.
    Yes, it is.

PV is flawed but useful in some circumstances. Electronic voting is utterly flawed and totally useless.
  • Options
    Biden:

"Now, Biden's orbit has put out word that he’s going to take another week to make a decision"

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/clintons-boxing-biden-out-214778#ixzz3oXme1gTH
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Oh dear dear dear. It seems some people here are more than a little upset that the report does not state (as would have been quite within its remit without apportioning blame) that the missile was fired from rebel held territory. Keep flapping guys, I'm sure no-one will notice...

Why would they prejudice the Dutch Criminal investigation?

How much of the report have you read?

It sets out fairly clearly the area where the missile was likely fired from .....who did the firing is not in their remit.....
    Shilling for Putin is not an easy ask at times like this.
    Lucky is always willing to give it his best shot though

Putin's little poodle.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Roger said:

Doddy

"Burnham made the usual tit of himself at the Immigration debate yesterday..Someone has told him that if he shouts very loud and s l o w s his speech d o w n then no none will spot the inane blather he comes out with".

Does your blithe partisanship under every circumstance and on all occasions ever embarrass you?

Does yours?
    Self awareness not Roger's strong point is it :-)
  • Options
    Amazingly pathetic field on the Dem side this election. Bernie, the ageing socialist; Biden, not actually running but at 20%; and the favourite, Hillary!

After all the scandals and personal nastiness it's incredible. There's a great piece on Harpy Rodham Clinton at: http://john-moloney.blogspot.com/2015/04/normal-0-21-false-false-false-pl-x-none.html
  • Options
    Dull and duller. Why can't they be more like the republicans?