Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s Politicalbetting/Polling Matters podcast puts t

124»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited October 2015
    JWisemann said:

How predictable - a member of the public dares the question the Tories and so must be destroyed by any means necessary. This sort of behaviour is exactly the sort of thing the Tories and their propaganda organs shouldn't be doing if they aren't intending on one of the fastest falls from grace in political history.

Not trying to destroy her at all, quite the opposite in fact. I genuinely hope that she's straight, that she hasn't been put up to media appearances by anyone and that she understands the implications of involving herself in what will be a big political story for several months to come.

The issues around tax credits need debating, and up until now most of the discussions have been in the abstract only - hence the requests to see real world examples of how a number of policy changes take effect in the round.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    chestnut said:

JWisemann said:

How predictable - a member of the public dares the question the Tories and so must be destroyed by any means necessary. This sort of behaviour is exactly the sort of thing the Tories and their propaganda organs shouldn't be doing if they aren't intending on one of the fastest falls from grace in political history.

Once this unwinds, the biggest danger for the Tories is that they will be accused of being soft.
    I'm afraid it may be one of those moments where you realise the UK public is not a synonym for PB Tories.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: AP: FIFA will investigate 'serious allegations' that Germany secured the 2006 World Cup with bribes

Perhaps it might save time and just investigate if every World Cup was secured by bribes. Allegations, albeit not all 'serious', will no doubt be made or have been made to that effect.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JWisemann said:

chestnut said:

JWisemann said:

Once this unwinds, the biggest danger for the Tories is that they will be accused of being soft.
    I'm afraid it may be one of those moments where you realise the UK public is not a synonym for PB Tories.
    That's true it may be the case, hence my feeling this tax credit runs the risk of being a landmine for the Tories, although it has to be pointed out that it was claimed by some that previous welfare restrictions were unpopular with the public for very similar reasons to these ones, when they were not. Delaying things somewhat or making token modulations to the ideas seems like it might be a sensible choice, but if they stick to their guns on this one, I'll be interested to see if this change, and not others, finally does raise the ire of the wider public.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

WTF? Since when has Question Time been an item on the Six O'clock News?

Since the QT story became newsworthy ?

Convenient that they tracked her down and did an interview with her. I hope she hasn't got any skeletons in the closet as she's fair game now.

Meanwhile, the ongoing disgrace that is the Tom Watson and the Met Police gets barely a mention.
    Elementary my dear Watson .... the Beeb will have had her details when she applied for QT.

Tom Watson and the Met not mentioned - They've been barely out of the news for weeks now !! .... Where are you getting your appreciation of current affairs ?? - The Pyongyang Barbers Gazette !!

Well, obviously I have PB on in the background all day at work, but I do like to watch the 6 O'clock News when I get in from work. If you only watch the BBC for news - and a lot of people are like that - then the picture presented is very different to reality. And I haven't heard any mention of Yentob in the last 24 hours on the BBC.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: AP: FIFA will investigate 'serious allegations' that Germany secured the 2006 World Cup with bribes

Perhaps it might save time and just investigate if every World Cup was secured by bribes. Allegations, albeit not all 'serious', will no doubt be made or have been made to that effect.
    It looked downright dodgy at the time, it really wouldn't be much of a surprise if it was. Another awkward story for the Germans.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Scott_P said:

This is AWESOME !!!

@alexmassie: Comically dreadful 1992 SNP election broadcast. But also revealingly honest: Scots are weak, blind, stupid etc. https://t.co/AEDj6LMo9c

Fortunately, things have progressed and the SNP now does easily the best PPBs in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetvDbl4Xfs
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Any system where there are 200 countries with a vote on something, and half a dozen rich countries courting those 200 votes, is almost certain to decend quickly towards corruption, Russia and Qatar.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Any system where there are 200 countries with a vote on something, and half a dozen rich countries courting those 200 votes, is almost certain to decend quickly towards corruption.
    It's worse for the award of the World Cup. Only the FIFA Executive Committee of 24 members vote - far easier to nobble.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

chestnut said:

JWisemann said:

That's true it may be the case, hence my feeling this tax credit runs the risk of being a landmine for the Tories, although it has to be pointed out that it was claimed by some that previous welfare restrictions were unpopular with the public for very similar reasons to these ones, when they were not. Delaying things somewhat or making token modulations to the ideas seems like it might be a sensible choice, but if they stick to their guns on this one, I'll be interested to see if this change, and not others, finally does raise the ire of the wider public.
    It will be merely be a large extra plank in the coffin. I'll be interested to see what the response to the dividend tax is too, amongst the many basic tax rate paying self employed people who are trying to make their way in the brave new post-GFC world,
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

Running various tax credit scenarios shows that the people who will lose are the ones who will try to suppress their hours.

A minimum wage individual working 16 hours who does no extra work will lose by £445 a year. Every extra hour they work reduces their loss by £190. By the time they get up to 19 hours, they are in the green.

At 30 hours, they're nearly £2,000 extra to the good.

3 hours a week...
    I think the pivot is 10 hours per month extra. An extra 18 hours per month leaves the person about £100 better off while the previous system would have left them worse off. I think the previous pivot point required people to take on an extra 8 hours per week to be better off compared to tax credit loss.
    The current system is absolutely broken and ludicrous, not only is it unaffordable but it is completely absurd to make people worse off for working longer or earning more. Reform is overdue.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,160
    3,700 comments under the Daily Mail story on QT's tax credit nail bar owner. Most of it pretty negative.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Convenient that they tracked her down and did an interview with her. I hope she hasn't got any skeletons in the closet as she's fair game now.

Meanwhile, the ongoing disgrace that is the Tom Watson and the Met Police gets barely a mention.
    Elementary my dear Watson .... the Beeb will have had her details when she applied for QT.

Tom Watson and the Met not mentioned - They've been barely out of the news for weeks now !! .... Where are you getting your appreciation of current affairs ?? - The Pyongyang Barbers Gazette !!

Well, obviously I have PB on in the background all day at work, but I do like to watch the 6 O'clock News when I get in from work. If you only watch the BBC for news - and a lot of people are like that - then the picture presented is very different to reality. And I haven't heard any mention of Yentob in the last 24 hours on the BBC.
    Your take that the BBC doesn't represent reality is an interesting perspective.

The Yentob story has been covered on the Beeb. I've noted it on News24 and Radio4 and Five Live. Having said that it's hardly a story that has the folk down the Red Lion taking to the streets demanding revolution and TSE as our benevolent dictator .... not just yet ....

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Any system where there are 200 countries with a vote on something, and half a dozen rich countries courting those 200 votes, is almost certain to decend quickly towards corruption.
    It's worse for the award of the World Cup. Only the FIFA Executive Committee of 24 members vote - far easier to nobble.
    Ah, okay. Maybe I am confusing with the Olympics.
    I just image the conversation with small poor country representative asking rich candidate rep "So what is in it for me and my country to vote for you?" It is relatively obvious where that ends...
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

3,700 comments under the Daily Mail story on QT's tax credit nail bar owner. Most of it pretty negative.

A great many people were simply unaware of how the Tax Credit system functioned, and where some of the money was going and to whom.

Question Time has done the taxpayer a favour.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Russia brags that they are smashing ISIL

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/655007539323641856
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Don't worry these same, mostly clueless people won't be voting for Corbyn at the GE after CCHQ gets properly stuck into him. They've been softballing him so far - that will change ~ 2020.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ah, okay. Maybe I am confusing with the Olympics.
    I just image the conversation with small poor country representative asking rich candidate rep "So what is in it for me and my country to vote for you?" It is relatively obvious where that ends...
    I think every IOC member votes on the Olympics - they seemed to have cleaned up their act since Salt Lake City.

But you are right about FIFA. Every member state gets a vote in the election of the president. Sep Blatter - and I think his predecessor Joao Havelange - built their empires upon votes from developing nations, especially in Africa. In 2006 Germany won because the Oceania delegate abstained. Had he backed South Africa then Blatter would have had the deciding vote and it's believed that he would have given it to South Africa.

It's believed Blatter wanted the USA to get 2022 so that he could say that he had united the World's super powers with Russia getting the 2018 World Cup. He seemed to think that it might have got him the Nobel Peace Prize!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

The Yentob story has been covered on the Beeb. I've noted it on News24 and Radio4 and Five Live. Having said that it's hardly a story that has the folk down the Red Lion taking to the streets demanding revolution and TSE as our benevolent dictator .... not just yet ....
    Visions of W1A-style meetings where 20 people all on six-figure salaries spend a whole day in a room, discussing how they can report the Yentob story "impartially". They end up interviewing themselves on air about that meeting and their reporting of it, rather than the substantive story!
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Pulpstar said:

Don't worry these same, mostly clueless people won't be voting for Corbyn at the GE after CCHQ gets properly stuck into him. They've been softballing him so far - that will change ~ 2020.
    Their negativity seems to be largely directed *at* the lady concerned and Tax Credits themselves, not the Government.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The Tories would be wise to let the papers do the digging on this woman and expose the web of tax credits for the "self employed" like this person. Most people don't realise just how generous the system is for people who claim self employed WTC.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Visions of W1A-style meetings where 20 people all on six-figure salaries spend a whole day in a meeting, discussing how they can report the Yentob story "impartially". They end up interviewing themselves on air about that meeting and their reporting of it, rather than the substantive story.
    Not from the reports I've heard .... but then I keep an open mind about the Beeb - warts and all .... rather than assess the nature of its coverage from a party political perspective.

• Options
    watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

Their negativity seems to be largely directed *at* the lady concerned and Tax Credits themselves, not the Government.
    True actually. I misread the top comment slightly.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2015
    JWisemann said:

I don't actually back the tax credit system as it offers such a broad subsidy to big business. A basic citizen's income is the only sensible solution in a world of ever increasing automation, and will be arrived on eventually. But cutting it so radically when people are relying on it is a big mistake.

I wish more Tories supported a universal basic income.

There are strong free market, rather than socialist, grounds for it.

(Milton Friedman hardly counts as a raving commie last time I checked.)
  • Options
    To be fair to the Beeb, given that Her Majesty's official Opposition has vacated the field, it's reasonable enough of them to step up to the role.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Corbyn wants maternity and paternity leave for the self employed, I can see quite a lot of pregnant manicurists if he gets elected.
  • Options

To be fair to the Beeb, given that Her Majesty's official Opposition has vacated the field, it's reasonable enough of them to step up to the role.

It's broadly true of the Beeb through the ages. The wailing and gnashing of teeth of Alistair Campbell and fellow travellers during the Blair years was a wonder to behold.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Playing with the DT tax calculator, trying to find a way that a self-employed single mother of 4 can lose £2k a year in tax credits. Most I could get it to was about £750, the reduction being from £19,500 to £18,750. In tax credits only. Housing benefit would be on top of that and I think not subject to the £23k cap as she is 'working'.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

I don't actually back the tax credit system as it offers such a broad subsidy to big business. A basic citizen's income is the only sensible solution in a world of ever increasing automation, and will be arrived on eventually. But cutting it so radically when people are relying on it is a big mistake.

It's a good concept, but could never work inside the EU with 300m people able to claim it.
  • Options
    Tony_MTony_M Posts: 70
    Scott_P said:

Did they Jerrymander the result?

My coat did you say....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/16/farage-for-breitbart-the-turkey-eu-migrant-deal-verges-on-insanity-a-new-tide-awaits-britain/

Migrant crisis: Turkey says no deal done on EU action plan
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34553458

The Turks want even better conditions.
    The EU is going mad, and thats what happens to those units and people whom the gods want to destroy.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Sandpit said:

JWisemann said:

It's a good concept, but could never work inside the EU with 300m people able to claim it.
    Another reason why one size fits all EU will end in disaster.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

JWisemann said:

Good point.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Playing with the DT tax calculator, trying to find a way that a self-employed single mother of 4 can lose £2k a year in tax credits. Most I could get it to was about £750, the reduction being from £19,500 to £18,750. In tax credits only. Housing benefit would be on top of that and I think not subject to the £23k cap as she is 'working'.

The lady has 4children. Is the father making any contribution in money or emotional support of the children?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Russia brags that they are smashing ISIL

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/655007539323641856

Is this another "independent" Putin source?
  • Options
    perdix said:

Sandpit said:

The lady has 4children. Is the father making any contribution in money or emotional support of the children?
    No, but she is working "bloody hard". We can all be busy fools though.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
  • Options
    JackW said:

It's broadly true of the Beeb through the ages. The wailing and gnashing of teeth of Alistair Campbell and fellow travellers during the Blair years was a wonder to behold.

Too bad they didn't challenge the tax credit system when it was being created by Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Re the Question Time lady - I actually agree that the taxpayer should not be subsidising her failing business. However, this actually proves one of the arguments me and other lefties have been making for years: the unemployment rate is artificially low, because there are quite literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who are just like this lady claiming they are "self-employed" when actually they are doing unproductive non-jobs. There simply aren't enough proper jobs to go round, just as there never is when a government pursues a right-wing laissez-faire economic policy.

If you say this woman is not doing a proper job (which, as I say, I would probably agree with). then the corollary of that argument is that the supposed "economic recovery" is a sham, because so much of that recovery is predicated on the supposed boom in self-employment.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

[T]he unemployment rate is artificially low, because there are quite literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who are just like this lady claiming they are "self-employed" when actually they are doing unproductive non-jobs.

When it comes to non-jobs the left wrote the book!

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Danny565 said:

Re the Question Time lady - I actually agree that the taxpayer should not be subsidising her failing business. However, this actually proves one of the arguments me and other lefties have been making for years: the unemployment rate is artificially low, because there are quite literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who are just like this lady claiming they are "self-employed" when actually they are doing unproductive non-jobs. There simply aren't enough proper jobs to go round, just as there never is when a government pursues a right-wing laissez-faire economic policy.

If you say this woman is not doing a proper job (which, as I say, I would probably agree with). then the corollary of that argument is that the supposed "economic recovery" is a sham, because so much of that recovery is predicated on the supposed boom in self-employment.

Spot on
  • Options
    Very oblique reference to his successes in the UK in the piece I thought - the more detailed reference to evidence of his success in the Mayoral being to mention comments Crosby made about muslims.

Regardless, it isn't looking great for his record I guess, though I think the challenge was harder given the longer time in office Harper has had - easier for alternatives to seem appealing to the 'it's time for a change' crowd, whatever the positives of the man (I assume there are some) for one.

Another major set of election polling underestimating right wing support leading to a right wing win would be pretty amusing, but seems like it might be one election too far for that trend.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Seems a fair comment on the face of it, at least in part.
  • Options
    From the Daily Mail:

casaloco, Swindon, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

It's worth remember that an entire third of the (excluding pensions) benefits bill goes directly into the pockets of the nations private landlords. That where all the money is going.

Is this true ?!
  • Options
    New Thread.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

From the Daily Mail:

casaloco, Swindon, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

It's worth remember that an entire third of the (excluding pensions) benefits bill goes directly into the pockets of the nations private landlords. That where all the money is going.

Is this true ?!

Don't know if it's a third, but it is a huge %.

But the private landlords who are fleecing the taxpayer all vote Tory, so...
  • Options
    Further to previous post - What is the private Landlord bill in inner London, it must be astronomical.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

the unemployment rate is artificially low,

She is, by her own account, a single mum with 4 kids.

For decades she would have been considered 'economically inactive' and never gone anywhere near a Jobcentre.

More to this than meets the eye.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    tlg86 said:

Danny565 said:

[T]he unemployment rate is artificially low, because there are quite literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who are just like this lady claiming they are "self-employed" when actually they are doing unproductive non-jobs.

When it comes to non-jobs the left wrote the book!

Which is where all this benefits began.
    And when the housing benefits is limited the left squeal and conveniently forget that it is encouraging higher rents than they should be.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    If the EU's solution to the migrant crisis is an accelerated accession of Turkey to the EU then it really has lost the plot.
  • Options
    Don't take my word on sport after this afternoon's exploits, but this is looking like a walk in the park for the All Blacks.