Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An armed coup if Boris or Corbyn became PM? An extraordinar

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    MrsB said:

Scotland were robbed by a silly decision just as England were robbed at the cricket yesterday by a silly decision on bad light when the flood lights were on, there were 8 overs left and only 25 runs needed.

As for the 44% of UKIP voters who can imagine a coup, maybe they are wishfully thinking of the right wing dictatorships in Portugal*, Spain and Greece in 1950 - 1970s era; or maybe remembering Rhodesia.....

* yes I know the military overthrew the dictatorship in 1974 so the coup in Portugal military in a good way which is why I used the word dictatorship

What is your verdict on the coups (and the 1997 military memorandum - also called a postmodern coup -) in Turkey?

BTW, I am wavering to join the Lib Dems as a member. How would you convince me?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

I blame DavidL.

The subjectivity in applying the laws is a big flaw in rugby union. The identity of the ref is too important. South Africans always have it in for the Brits. The ref in the 2003 final tried very hard to give the game to the Australians.

From memory there are something like 20,000 registered rugby players in Scotland, so to put in a performance like that was truly magnificent. Maybe it will provide a shot in the arm to the game in the Borders. That would be fantastic as it was so recently one of the world's great rugby areas.

Harsh SO. That was the best Scottish rugby performance for a decade or more. Two terrible decisions swing a quarter final of a world cup. I am gutted.

Come on Argentina! Murder these b*******!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

@afneil: 101 economics for numpties, including Mr Wings from Bath: TME not DEL is measure of total spending.

@DrScottThinks: Today @afneil toasted @AngusRobertson & then went on to roast @WingsScotland when he tried to defend him. #Awkward http://t.co/E45mArpZ8H

DEL??
    Departmental Expenditure Limits, edit: I assumed you knew Total Managed Expenditure (at least that's what I think it is!)
    Handy explanation

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-understand-public-sector-spending/how-to-understand-public-sector-spending

Neil 1:0 Bath
    ie they do not count real money , just made up funny money
    Its not Westminster's fault Holyrood doesn't spend all the money it gives it.....
    Don't talk mince, there was a small contingency amount that is carried forward, bit better than Westminster -100+ Billion.
    Because Holyrood must run a surplus, by law.
    Pity Westminster did not have similar skills
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MikeK said:

Oh those wonderful EU leaders: they will be the death of us yet.

David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945 2h2 hours ago
    Merkel is ready for Turkey to join EU & wants to start this year http://www.todayonline.com/world/merkel-says-ready-support-turkey-eu-accession-process
    David Cameron supports it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11283924/David-Cameron-I-still-want-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

Only yesterday people were telling me it would never happen. Madness is catching it appears.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Sean_F said:

MrsB said:

As for the 44% of UKIP voters who can imagine a coup, maybe they are wishfully thinking of the right wing dictatorships in Portugal*, Spain and Greece in 1950 - 1970s era; or maybe remembering Rhodesia.....

* yes I know the military overthrew the dictatorship in 1974 so the coup in Portugal military in a good way which is why I used the word dictatorship

Those were the good old days.

I note most Tories would support armed intervention if the UK became a Republic.
    Well you lost the last one in 1642 - 1651 when a monarch went against parliament.
  • Options

I see Lab. say they will reverse tax credit cuts.

Not sure I agree.

You're right: they won't.
    It will clearly be impossible and unaffordable to reverse them by 2020 IMO.

Still think its time to share the pain of benefit cuts with OAPs.

Then we will see how popular the Welfare State is or isn't

Its ridiculous to increase pensions by 2.5% in a period of deflation and austerity IMO
    Pensions are not a benefit. I have paid for mine for the last 42 years and will continue to pay for 6 more years before I can draw it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11194265/State-pension-is-not-a-benefit-says-minister.html
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Labour tried to make out that HMS Invincible was inactive but available at 18 months notice, despite the fact that major engine parts had been removed for use in her sister ships. Basically she was an engineless hulk, but in New Labour's view she was still a fighting ship.

Add in to this: an asset is not just hardware: it is the wetware (i.e. people) required to fight and maintain that asset. Since wetware is generally the most expensive part of such systems, they are the ones more easily disposed of.

Basically: if these systems were reinstated, would we have the people to crew and maintain them?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I blame DavidL.

The subjectivity in applying the laws is a big flaw in rugby union. The identity of the ref is too important. South Africans always have it in for the Brits. The ref in the 2003 final tried very hard to give the game to the Australians.

From memory there are something like 20,000 registered rugby players in Scotland, so to put in a performance like that was truly magnificent. Maybe it will provide a shot in the arm to the game in the Borders. That would be fantastic as it was so recently one of the world's great rugby areas.

Harsh SO. That was the best Scottish rugby performance for a decade or more. Two terrible decisions swing a quarter final of a world cup. I am gutted.

Harsh with knobs on. What a horrible way to lose. The performance was astounding.

It's all about recovery now for the semis. Argentina and NZ had by far the easiest games, but I have a sneaky feeling it'll be an SA v Australia final. So put all your money on the All Blacks.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    DavidL said:

I blame DavidL.

It was a brilliant perormance, the outcome enough to make even you sw**r
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Wings over Bath is getting schooled by Andrew Neil on Twitter - most amusing.

This is the "getting schooled" where Neil is exposed as lying about the Scottish Budget with sourced documentation from wings to which he cannot provide an answer. In reality Neil is getting the dockside hooker treatment and can't do anything but sit there taking it.
    LOL - of course.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Yes no wonder you want to go independent MG.

A performance like that is one to be proud of.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Well done to Scotland. Cruelly denied in the last seconds and a really magnificent performance.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Misread this headline "Apathy Among Young as Parliamentary Elections Begin in Egypt" as 'Paramilitary'. Sometimes the subconscious translates the written word into the truth.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

@afneil: 101 economics for numpties, including Mr Wings from Bath: TME not DEL is measure of total spending.

@DrScottThinks: Today @afneil toasted @AngusRobertson & then went on to roast @WingsScotland when he tried to defend him. #Awkward http://t.co/E45mArpZ8H

DEL??
    Departmental Expenditure Limits, edit: I assumed you knew Total Managed Expenditure (at least that's what I think it is!)
    Handy explanation

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-understand-public-sector-spending/how-to-understand-public-sector-spending

Its not Westminster's fault Holyrood doesn't spend all the money it gives it.....
    Don't talk mince, there was a small contingency amount that is carried forward, bit better than Westminster -100+ Billion.
    So Osborne should have cut harder and faster? ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Not sure I agree.

Its ridiculous to increase pensions by 2.5% in a period of deflation IMO
    Wow, a rare point of agreement BJO! The triple lock is economic vandalism.
  • Options
    Southern hemisphere ref sees through southern hemisphere team.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2015
    Doddy

"..thus far the (nuclear) deterrent seems to be working.."

Which of the many types of fallacy does this one fit.....
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

Scott_P said:

DEL??
    Handy explanation

So Osborne should have cut harder and faster? ;)
    Perhaps they should not be forcing Scotland to run a surplus when they are running massive deficits, especially when we have to fund it out of the pocket money we get back from them. Bit of fair play would be nice.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

Its ridiculous to increase pensions by 2.5% in a period of deflation and austerity IMO
    Pensions are not a benefit. I have paid for mine for the last 42 years and will continue to pay for 6 more years before I can draw it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11194265/State-pension-is-not-a-benefit-says-minister.html
    I think they are. It is not fair that the vast majority of Welfare goes to oldies who are wealthier than the working poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/uk-benefit-welfare-spending
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I cannot remember a weekend of similar sporting drama from any other tournament in any sport. Four classic matches, one sublime masterclass from the All Blacks.

Your avvin a laff. But RU is not my favourite sport, so I'm biased. If you knew anything you would see that the game has changed almost beyond recognition to be much more RL like (albeit c1968) since the rules on rucks and mauls were changed. This itself was as a result of the competition from RL in the southern hemisphere.
    Er, I know it has changed, I remember the bad old days of 3-3 draws and endless scrums in the mud. Union has taken the best from the League, and created something special

You clearly follow League, so I know you won't be persuaded. I've encountered the bitterness of League fans re Union before.

League would be a lot more compelling if it went back to competitive scrums. It's taught Union so much, but is being left behind.

The year after Union turned pro the Wigan team went to Twickenham and won the Middlesex 7s, which was then a marquee tournament. They tore all their opponents to pieces. It wouldn't happen now.

• Options
    The TMO was keen to come in about the deliberate knock-on and yet didn't even have a word about the late hit on hogg when in the last few mins...
  • Options
    And I've got a norwich defender in my fantasy team.... howse your luck!!!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Not sure I agree.

The universal pension is a benefit though.

I disagree with BJO that the country can only afford inflation index-linked increases but do agree that the triple lock is a ratchet-effect that is unsustainable in the long term. In fact, I wrote a piece on it a while ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/11/26/how-does-osborne-unpick-the-pensions-triple-lock/

My personal preference would be for it to rise by the average of the two highest figures out of RPI, average earnings and 2.5%.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

That's not the reason Labour won't reverse them in 2020. I've no doubt that if Corbyn is still in place, Labour will go into the election with a pledge to do so.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I cannot remember a weekend of similar sporting drama from any other tournament in any sport. Four classic matches, one sublime masterclass from the All Blacks.

Your avvin a laff. But RU is not my favourite sport, so I'm biased. If you knew anything you would see that the game has changed almost beyond recognition to be much more RL like (albeit c1968) since the rules on rucks and mauls were changed. This itself was as a result of the competition from RL in the southern hemisphere.
    Er, I know it has changed, I remember the bad old days of 3-3 draws and endless scrums in the mud. Union has taken the best from the League, and created something special

You clearly follow League, so I know you won't be persuaded. I've encountered the bitterness of League fans re Union before.

League would be a lot more compelling if it went back to competitive scrums. It's taught Union so much, but is being left behind.

The year after Union turned pro the Wigan team went to Twickenham and won the Middlesex 7s, which was then a marquee tournament. They tore all their opponents to pieces. It wouldn't happen now.
    I went to private school for much of my childhood, yet I find rugby union and league utterly confusing. I don't even know which one my school played.

Mind you, I spent a lot of time my time on the shooting range. ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Scrapheap, that was dubious. Scots have every right to feel aggrieved.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

I think they are. It is not fair that the vast majority of Welfare goes to oldies who are wealthier than the working poor.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/08/uk-benefit-welfare-spending
    So the State pension that I will have paid into for 48 years by the time I receive it is welfare?

I could happily live without the fuel allowance, bus pass or TV license but why should something I have paid into for 48 years be classed as welfare?
  • Options

Mr. Scrapheap, that was dubious. Scots have every right to feel aggrieved.

There's an open goal there but I'm going to resist it as my small token at this difficult time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Economic vandalism I agree but who expects politicians to do anything about it. This year with negative inflation would be the best opportunity but cant see it.

Had numerous discussions with the "paid in all my life" lobby who basically are robbing their Grand Kids IMO
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Just watched the rugby an hour behind, with phone and internet switched off!
    Very well played Scotland, so desperately close but unlucky in the rain at the end.

So it's four Southern hemisphere sides in the semis, surely this is for the ABs to lose now. The inquest among the six nations should be thorough, they were completely outclassed at the business end of this tournament.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

I disagree with BJO that the country can only afford inflation index-linked increases but do agree that the triple lock is a ratchet-effect that is unsustainable in the long term. In fact, I wrote a piece on it a while ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/11/26/how-does-osborne-unpick-the-pensions-triple-lock/

My personal preference would be for it to rise by the average of the two highest figures out of RPI, average earnings and 2.5%.
    CPI?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I went to private school for much of my childhood, yet I find rugby union and league utterly confusing. I don't even know which one my school played.

Mind you, I spent a lot of time my time on the shooting range. ;)
    If you went to a private school, you almost certainly played union.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2015

Not sure I agree.

So the State pension that I will have paid into for 48 years by the time I receive it is welfare?

I could happily live without the fuel allowance, bus pass or TV license but why should something I have paid into for 48 years be classed as welfare?
    By the same way working people who pay taxes either directly or indirectly in order to pay for the cost of benefits is also classed as welfare.
    Basically everything outside of policing and defence is welfare and everyone pays something towards it in either income tax or property tax or VAT.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'd be flabbergasted if it wasn't the former.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Bradford bulls also won the Middlesex 7s in 2002.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

Too true, I am not happy that after paying into it forever they have stiffed me and stolen a year's pension from me at the last minute. Circa £7.5K stolen just like that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Economic vandalism I agree but who expects politicians to do anything about it. This year with negative inflation would be the best opportunity but cant see it.

Had numerous discussions with the "paid in all my life" lobby who basically are robbing their Grand Kids IMO
    So by paying in for 48 years I am robbing my grandkids? Wow.

Out of interest I think you said you retired from the NHS at 54 on a big pension. How much of the NHS budget is spent on paying gold plated pensions, and do you think you are denying people treatment when you get your pension each month?
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    You may be right. I'd be interested to see an average inflation rate for pensioners before making that call. Some items in the RPI index, like housing costs, are presumably well below the average for the population: fewer renting and very few with mortgages. On the other hand, personal care costs will be far higher.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Out of interest I think you said you retired from the NHS at 54 on a big pension. How much of the NHS budget is spent on paying gold plated pensions, and do you think you are denying people treatment when you get your pension each month?
    You are robbing your grandkids by taking out more in pensions than you give in your pension pot.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    You may be right. I'd be interested to see an average inflation rate for pensioners before making that call. Some items in the RPI index, like housing costs, are presumably well below the average for the population: fewer renting and very few with mortgages. On the other hand, personal care costs will be far higher.
    RPI was double CPI 2014 to 2015
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

That's not the reason Labour won't reverse them in 2020. I've no doubt that if Corbyn is still in place, Labour will go into the election with a pledge to do so.
    Don;t see the policy reversal promise lasting to 2020.

By then a lot of the impact will have been mitigated by higher minimum wage and personal allowances.

Anyway I think a partial U Turn to protect early year losses is also on the cards.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not sure I agree.

Too true, I am not happy that after paying into it forever they have stiffed me and stolen a year's pension from me at the last minute. Circa £7.5K stolen just like that.
    I have to wait an extra year for mine, which I can live with, but my wife is 60 next April and has to wait six extra years for hers.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

You are robbing your grandkids by taking out more in pensions than you give in your pension pot.
    I think 48 years payments will fund way more than he will get from pension unless he makes it to at least 120
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

By then a lot of the impact will have been mitigated by higher minimum wage and personal allowances.

Anyway I think a partial U Turn to protect early year losses is also on the cards.
    Most of the change to the personal allowance has happened already.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    RPI is a more accurate figure of inflation, CPI was invented by Brown in order to decrease the rate of rising pensions bellow inflation without anyone being able to accuse him of doing so.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

malcolmg said:

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    RPI is a more accurate figure of inflation, CPI was invented by Brown in order to decrease the rate of rising pensions bellow inflation without anyone being able to accuse him of doing so.
    Typical of everything that moron did.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Roger I do apologise..been busy this weekend and not had time to catch up on Riviera news..so how many nuclear bombs have gone off down there this weekend...must be awful for you....pillock..
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    @Josiasjessup
    Turkey is stuck in a hard place between European secular liberal society to the west, and increasing islamism to the east. Deeply worrying, especially as the current leadership appears to be creeping towards islamism, possibly entirely in a bid to increase the longevity of their own power. Not good for the majority of Turks. Or the minority of Kurds.

As for wavering over the Lib Dems, can I suggest you - and anyone else who is thinking about it - invest a little time in watching Nick Clegg's resignation speech if you have not done so already
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYl0otgSvc especially from 4:35 onwards.
    And if that does not convince you, then Tim Farron's first leader's speech to conference
    http://www.libdems.org.uk/autumn-conference-2015-tim-farron

You can join at http://www.libdems.org.uk/join
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    oops Mr Jessop, typoed your name. Apologies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Speedy said:

malcolmg said:

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    Typical of everything that moron did.
    It's creative accounting, most governments do it, Labour, Tory, the SNP, they all need to shift the numbers around to make them look good and hide the ones that can't be.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2015
    Now the good news. England is STILL the ONLY northern hemisphere nation to have won the rugby world cup.

Why don't they put signs up on the Severn Bridge and on the A1 Berwick?

Welcome to England - " STILL the ONLY northern hemisphere nation to have won the rugby world cup. "
  • Options
    Speedy said:

malcolmg said:

Not sure I agree.

CPI?
    No, CPI had been calculated since before the election. He did, however, switch the BoE's inflation target from RPIX of 2.5% to CPI of 2%.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Moses_ said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

'44% of Ukip voters tell YouGov that they can envisage situations when they'd support armed forces coup in UK '

Doesn't surprise me at all. The Hodge recently wrote a Telegraph piece berating some military top brass who'd blathered about something similar. The comments below the line were almost unanimously in favour of the junta.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11881873/Generals-talking-about-politics-should-remember-whos-the-boss.html

I can imagine situations 'however unlikely' where I could support martial government. An imminent invasion after the cabinet has been assasinated, for example.
    It is not that unimaginable. Had the Brighton bombing succeeded in killing the Prime Minister and the Cabinet who would have led the country in the interim until things dusted down?

I suspect a lot of people would say No to "however unlikely" question but then like on Yes, Minister were you to phrase it differently with specific examples you could get a lot more people saying yes.
    If there was not an active military threat, I would rather the higher rungs of the civil service took over.
    In general an attack that has killed the PM and the cabinet would involve an active military threat. That's just an example of where terrorists have come disturbingly close.
    Doesn't the speaker take over in that situation? If they can of course. No doubt there would be a unity government as politics are placed to one side. Well there would have been but of course Corbyn is now LOTO.
    A foreign nation declares war on the UK by launching a missile that takes out Parliament during the state opening of Parliament. The monarch, Lords and Commons are all killed. We're now at war with no politicians and no monarch, who takes over?
    Prince of Wales - who is not permitted to attend the State Opening of Parliament. Just in case our MPs kidnap the Queen, as well as a hostage (junior whip, I believe) to execute they have a leader to command the counter attack.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Swiss results for those who are interested (provisional)
    SVP: 65 (+ 11) - populist right, think UKIP
    FDP: 33 (+3) - pro-business right, think George Osborne
    CVP: 28 (- 1) - Catholic centrist, think Angela Merkel
    BDP: 8 (- 1) - secular centrist, think old Liberal party
    GLP: 6 (-6) - Green Liberals - what it says in the name
    SP: 44 (-2) - leftish Socialists, think Andy Burnham
    Grüne: 9 (-6) - greens, think Caroline Lucas
    EVP: 2 - minor evangelical centrist
    Lega: 2 - not sure
    MCG: 1 - not sure
    PdA 1 (+1) - communist
    AL: 1 - not sure

This gives the right+far right a majority, though the SVP and FDP have little in common. The Greens were a bit unlucky, only lost 0.7% but narrowly pipped all over the place.
  • Options
    Not read the thread yet. Slightly stunned by the header.

I hope that the view of everyone on here is that as long as there has been a free and fair election (and I can't envisage any way there wouldn't be) there is no one who should be supporting a coup. I would also hope that the military would see sense and would run a million miles from any such suggestion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

'44% of Ukip voters tell YouGov that they can envisage situations when they'd support armed forces coup in UK '

Doesn't surprise me at all. The Hodge recently wrote a Telegraph piece berating some military top brass who'd blathered about something similar. The comments below the line were almost unanimously in favour of the junta.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11881873/Generals-talking-about-politics-should-remember-whos-the-boss.html

I can imagine situations 'however unlikely' where I could support martial government. An imminent invasion after the cabinet has been assasinated, for example.
    It is not that unimaginable. Had the Brighton bombing succeeded in killing the Prime Minister and the Cabinet who would have led the country in the interim until things dusted down?

I suspect a lot of people would say No to "however unlikely" question but then like on Yes, Minister were you to phrase it differently with specific examples you could get a lot more people saying yes.
    If there was not an active military threat, I would rather the higher rungs of the civil service took over.
    In general an attack that has killed the PM and the cabinet would involve an active military threat. That's just an example of where terrorists have come disturbingly close.
    Doesn't the speaker take over in that situation? If they can of course. No doubt there would be a unity government as politics are placed to one side. Well there would have been but of course Corbyn is now LOTO.
    A foreign nation declares war on the UK by launching a missile that takes out Parliament during the state opening of Parliament. The monarch, Lords and Commons are all killed. We're now at war with no politicians and no monarch, who takes over?
    Prince of Wales - who is not permitted to attend the State Opening of Parliament. Just in case our MPs kidnap the Queen, as well as a hostage (junior whip, I believe) to execute they have a leader to command the counter attack.
    I think the Prince of Wales was at the State Opening last year, and the year before last.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    This shows the tiny swings producing a substantial shift in seats:
    http://www.nzz.ch/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Well clearly our Grand Kids will have to work longer than 48 years to afford the Triple Lock so IMO you are.

Re my circumstances which for you it comes back to in almost every trolling post I could clearly use your paid in all my life argument but that would be ridiculous.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

Nigel the system was never set up to be run on a 'get back what you paid in' basis. It was always envisaged that the current workers were paying for the state pensions of the current pensioners and the future workers would pay for your pension. This was made explicit at the time the system was established. State pensions are a form of welfare just like any other.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited October 2015
    SeanT said:

Now the good news. England is STILL the ONLY northern hemisphere national to have won the rugby world cup.

Why don't they put signs up on the Severn Bridge and at Berwick.

Welcome to England - " STILL the ONLY northern hemisphere nation to have won the rugby world cup. "

Also the only nation IN THE WORLD to have won both the rugby AND football World Cups. England, our England.
    You forgot the Cricket World Hit and Giggle (aka T20) cup.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

No bother. Mr Llama does it all the time, despite the name I deliberately stole when registering on this site being the son of perhaps one of the most influential engineers in British history. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PdA 1 (+1) - communist

This gives the right+far right a majority, though the SVP and FDP have little in common. The Greens were a bit unlucky, only lost 0.7% but narrowly pipped all over the place.

Switzerland does not have a typical western system.
    They have a coalition government called the Federal Government Council composed of all parties without exclusion and without a PM but with a rotational President with a one year term.

In essence the political parties and the swiss parliament exist only to manage the state with the voters taking most decisions, instead of MP's or ministers, by referendums.

From the above results the SVP might get a second seat on the council at the expense of the FDP or the SP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not sure I agree.

Most of the change to the personal allowance has happened already.
    You don't believe the proposals make people worse off short term?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Utter bollocks.

I could be brown bread before I qualify for it, or within a few years of receiving it. As Malcolm said I would have to live for donkeys years to get back what I put in, and during that time I will still be paying tax, either directly or indirectly.

As I said take away the extra benefits but please don't call my right to a state pension a benefit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

Charles can attend. He just doesn't very often.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/10043669/Queens-Speech-Prince-Charles-attends-State-Opening-of-Parliament.html
  • Options

Now the good news. England is STILL the ONLY northern hemisphere nation to have won the rugby world cup.

Straws and Clutching comes to mind
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

MrsB said:

No bother. Mr Llama does it all the time, despite the name I deliberately stole when registering on this site being the son of perhaps one of the most influential engineers in British history. :)
    You're telling me that you are related to the great William Jessop? That's a disappointment, I'd always thought of you as linked to Gilbert Jessop. Their achievements are simply not comparable. One, after all, scored a century against Australia in 77 minutes, and the other only dug a ginormous canal literally the breadth of Scotland, which doesn't really measure up.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Wings over Somerset is having a nervous breakdown, live on Twitter
  • Options

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Utter bollocks.

I could be brown bread before I qualify for it, or within a few years of receiving it. As Malcolm said I would have to live for donkeys years to get back what I put in, and during that time I will still be paying tax, either directly or indirectly.

As I said take away the extra benefits but please don't call my right to a state pension a benefit.
    How much have you put in your pension pot?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

I think the Prince of Wales was at the State Opening last year, and the year before last.
    One imagines that there's rather a lot of protocol around both the Royals and Government with regard to where they go together and how they travel. Maybe Charles is allowed to attend the SooP now that William is older?
  • Options
    MrsB said:

@Josiasjessup
    Turkey is stuck in a hard place between European secular liberal society to the west, and increasing islamism to the east. Deeply worrying, especially as the current leadership appears to be creeping towards islamism, possibly entirely in a bid to increase the longevity of their own power. Not good for the majority of Turks. Or the minority of Kurds.

As for wavering over the Lib Dems, can I suggest you - and anyone else who is thinking about it - invest a little time in watching Nick Clegg's resignation speech if you have not done so already
    And if that does not convince you, then Tim Farron's first leader's speech to conference

Thanks.

I find myself torn. I really like and rate Cameron (as people on here might have noticed), yet am less favourable towards the party he leads. I also despise Labour in its current form (although I merely disliked it under Miliband), and liked Clegg (although a friend of mine who met him in a professional capacity did not rate him).

I was saying that Farron might be a good leader on here a few years ago, but he's almost invisible in the media at the moment. I want to know where he's positioning the party, what a Farronite (what an ugly word!) Lib Dem party believes in. His conference speech did not really help when I watched it back.

I'm either going to join the Conservatives or the Lib Dems. Which would make me a socially left-wing Conservative, or a socially right-wing Lib Dem. Perhaps.

All I know is I want Labour under Corbyn to fail. Which is an utterly negative and poor reason to join a political party, but there you go.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Well clearly our Grand Kids will have to work longer than 48 years to afford the Triple Lock so IMO you are.

Re my circumstances which for you it comes back to in almost every trolling post I could clearly use your paid in all my life argument but that would be ridiculous.
    I don't disagree that the Triple Lock is unsustainable but that's not my argument, my point is that the State Pension is not welfare.

I have never trolled anyone in my life, but if you are in the business of calling state pensions welfare then l feel it only right that I should point out you have been drawing a public sector pension since you were 54.

But as you say you paid into it all your life. Double standards and all that.
  • Options

Not sure I agree.

Nigel the system was never set up to be run on a 'get back what you paid in' basis. It was always envisaged that the current workers were paying for the state pensions of the current pensioners and the future workers would pay for your pension. This was made explicit at the time the system was established. State pensions are a form of welfare just like any other.
    Not according to Steve Webb.
  • Options

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Utter bollocks.

Its a benefit. Its by far the most expensive benefit and the Triple Lock is making it so expensive all those due to get it from 2021 will receive nothing!!

LOL Chill Nigel
  • Options

But that's exactly what it is - the state pension works on a pay-as-you-go basis.
    Contributions we make pay for current pensioners - future workers will pay for our pensions.
    There is no "state pension pot" - just a government-backed promise.

• Options
    Completely offtopic. Russian TV this evening is leading with the old aeroplane they blew up with a missile as a demonstration, to 'prove' that they couldn't possibly have shot down the Malaysian 777.

Of course the old plane hull was at ground level and not pressurised, so they failed plane physics 101 before they even started. One can only assume they do this purely for domestic propaganda.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

I don't disagree that the Triple Lock is unsustainable but that's not my argument, my point is that the State Pension is not welfare.

I have never trolled anyone in my life, but if you are in the business of calling state pensions welfare then l feel it only right that I should point out you have been drawing a public sector pension since you were 54.

By definition everything that is not policing and defence is part of the welfare state, so pensions are a benefit since it is part of welfare.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Total meldtown by prominent Nats on Twitter, following Joubergate

Chips on their Shoulders.

No wonder life expectancy is so low in Scotland.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If only there was someone who was prolific at copying and pasting on this site.
  • Options
    On topic:
    I don't think the Tories will fall bellow 34% no matter what, since that is the share of people willing to overthrow democracy rather than have Corbyn as their democratically elected leader.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PdA 1 (+1) - communist

Switzerland does not have a typical western system.
    They have a coalition government called the Federal Government Council composed of all parties without exclusion and without a PM but with a rotational President with a one year term.

In essence the political parties and the swiss parliament exist only to manage the state with the voters taking most decisions, instead of MP's or ministers, by referendums.

From the above results the SVP might get a second seat on the council at the expense of the FDP or the SP.
    Why wouldn't the federal council seat come from the BDP rather than the FDP/SP?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Scott_P said:

Wings Over S******d ‏@WingsScotland 26m26 minutes ago
    I feel better now. JK's wee troll army have taken my mind off that clown Joubert.

The J.K Rowling troll army?

Wings Over S******d ‏@WingsScotland 6m6 minutes ago
    I had no idea the Venn intersection between JK Rowling and "Rangers" fans was so big until tonight.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

By definition everything that is not policing and defence is part of the welfare state, so pensions are a benefit since it is part of welfare.
    Steve Webb:

“Absolutely rightly, it is yours by right, you have paid your national insurance contributions. There's a certain amount of stigma about claiming benefits, when people draw their state pension that's not how they think of it.”
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Total meldtown by prominent Nats on Twitter, following Joubergate

Feels like that time England were done out of the Euros vs Portugal by that c*** of a ref. Urs Meier I believe.
  • Options

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

Steve Webb:

“Absolutely rightly, it is yours by right, you have paid your national insurance contributions. There's a certain amount of stigma about claiming benefits, when people draw their state pension that's not how they think of it.”
    So how much have you put in your pension pot?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MrsB said:

You're telling me that you are related to the great William Jessop? That's a disappointment, I'd always thought of you as linked to Gilbert Jessop. Their achievements are simply not comparable. One, after all, scored a century against Australia in 77 minutes, and the other only dug a ginormous canal literally the breadth of Scotland, which doesn't really measure up.
    I'm not related to either person,. as far as I know. I was just reading a biography of William Jessop when I joined the site, and used his son's name (because Josias is more unusual and memorable).

You are also hideously and with malice aforethought maligning William Jessop's history. :) Not only should he be remembered for his own work (and for his educating Telford in engineering), but he was responsible for helping so many other engineers get their works through parliament: the good men of Westminster trusted his word on which schemes were workable, and he was used as a consultant by other engineers to get their schemes through the legislative process.

He and his son Josias were probably the most influential engineers to bridge the canal and railway ages. If he had been born fifty years later then his name would have eclipsed Telford's, and even Brunel's (*)

Confusing the name of William Jessop - who helped set the scene of the modern world - with Gilbert Jessop - who could just wield his stick well - is like confusing an Etonian with a chav. :)

However, I am apparently a distant relation of George Eliot, and of Henry Ford.

(*) There's an interesting historical point to be made here about diaries and self-publicity. Telford and Brunel were avid self-publicists; Jessop was not.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    O_o
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

I feel better now. JK's wee troll army have taken my mind off that clown Joubert.

I had no idea the Venn intersection between JK Rowling and "Rangers" fans was so big until tonight.

J.K. RowlingVerified account ‏@jk_rowling 1h1 hour ago
    J.K. Rowling Retweeted Wings Over S******d
    I know Scotland's a nation. I live there, you see. I pay tax there and I contribute more than bile there.

this tweet was in reply to the following....

Wings Over S******d
    @WingsScotland Wings Over S******d Retweeted J.K. Rowling
    You two can both fuck off. You don't think we're a nation at all.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

I know Scotland's a nation. I live there, you see. I pay tax there and I contribute more than bile there.

Wings Over S******d
    Why does the SNP have an obsession with J.K. Rowling, apart from them being obsessed with the rest of the universe not being scottish enough.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

The state pension is welfare. It's a dole partially paid universally and partly based on contribution, based on qualifying entitlement - just as, say, unemployment benefits are. One is no more an 'entitlement' than the other. It might be an expectation and politically it might be all-but impossible to do other than to meet that expectation, but it's still a benefit all the same.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

MrsB said:

@Josiasjessup

Thanks.

I find myself torn. I really like and rate Cameron (as people on here might have noticed), yet am less favourable towards the party he leads. I also despise Labour in its current form (although I merely disliked it under Miliband), and liked Clegg (although a friend of mine who met him in a professional capacity did not rate him).

I was saying that Farron might be a good leader on here a few years ago, but he's almost invisible in the media at the moment. I want to know where he's positioning the party, what a Farronite (what an ugly word!) Lib Dem party believes in. His conference speech did not really help when I watched it back.

I'm either going to join the Conservatives or the Lib Dems. Which would make me a socially left-wing Conservative, or a socially right-wing Lib Dem. Perhaps.

All I know is I want Labour under Corbyn to fail. Which is an utterly negative and poor reason to join a political party, but there you go.
    I'm one of the people who rather likes the Conservative Party, but rather dislikes David Cameron.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Wings Over S******d
    Is JK Rowling currently a "whore" a "traitor" a "bitch" or a "c**t"
  • Options
    Steve Webb voted out of office by the voters of Thornbury & Yate, for not even understanding the State Pension is a benefit!!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure I agree.

The state pension is welfare. It's a dole partially paid universally and partly based on contribution, based on qualifying entitlement - just as, say, unemployment benefits are. One is no more an 'entitlement' than the other. It might be an expectation and politically it might be all-but impossible to do other than to meet that expectation, but it's still a benefit all the same.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

What's with the quotes around "Rangers", as well. (Not my quotes, which are, I believe, correctly used rather than implying that Rangers is some euphemism for, say, traitorous unionist pig-dogs).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MrsB said:

@Josiasjessup

Thanks.

I'm one of the people who rather likes the Conservative Party, but rather dislikes David Cameron.
    Which is why we differ so much. Somewhat oddly, I quite like Boris as a person, but I'd be unlikely to vote for a Conservative Party with him as a leader. Especially after his two jobs ...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Wings Over S******d
    Why does the SNP have an obsession with J.K. Rowling, apart from them being obsessed with the rest of the universe not being scottish enough.
    Probably something to do with the million she donated to the No campaign last year.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

O_o

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Wings Over S******d
    Check this, aimed also at J K Rowling:

Mr Rae ‏@Rannochmuir 9m9 minutes ago
    @jk_rowling @blairmcdougall @WingsScotland To you, you self promoting, manipulating bitch? Yes. There are plenty of fine Scots women here.
    Is all the SNP hatred towards J.K. Rowling because Harry Potter isn't scottish?

Any SNP volunteers to answer the question?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    edited October 2015
    On the subject of JK Rowling, I'm just rereading the Harry Potter series (an inevitable consequence of having a seven year old daughter). They are rather better than I remembered. Although they are seriously dark for seven year olds.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying they are the best thing since Roald Dahl.

(My daughter has taken to pretending to be asleep when we go to check on her, so she can continue reading. The other day I caught her reading Harry Potter at 12:30am on a school night. She then fell asleep during a lesson at school the next day, causing my wife to get a bollocking...)