Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s approval ratings slump to a net minus 19 points in

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    watford30 said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

Moses_ said:

john_zims said:

@Moses

'1200 jobs to go at steel makers TATA in Scunthorpe. Governments getting blamed by Labour the TUC and the workers coming out of the gates. '

According to Sky interview UK energy prices 5x higher than competition plus Chinese dumping at below cost.

Can't do anthing about the dumping except demand China stop. Good luck with that.

Could they subsidise the energy cost thus avoiding "directly" propping up the plant. It probably still wouldn't be allowed nor would it achieve much until we insist UK uses its own steel first. That of course is also not allowed. Jeez what a mess.
    We shouldn't try to prop it up. We should thank the Chinese for so generously subsidising our steel use, improving British consumer welfare at the expense of Chinese living standards, and retrain the steel workers here to do something more sustainable.
    What's your suggestion?
    I understand there are shortages in some of the skilled and semi-skilled construction jobs, such as plasterers, pipe fitters etc. Some of the more talented workers could even be pushed into design fields which are exploding in the UK.
    I am sure HMG have a plan. After all the collapse of the UK steel industry which seems to be under way is a direct result of policies being pursued by Cameron and Co and they would have thought out the likely consequences and planned for them. Wouldn't they?

Thirty years ago the Conservatives were in charge when the coalmining industry packed up and then they had no plan as to how to deal with the human tragedy that was bound to ensue. Surely the Conservative Party would not make the same mistake twice.
    The collapse of steelmaking? That's directly attributable to the crackpot green energy policies engineered by the previous Labour government and Ed Milliband, which made the cost of production sky rocket, relative to cheap Chinese energy.

The same policies have caused the closure of so many power plants, such that the UK faces the likely and serious prospect of blackouts this Winter.

As for coal mines, more closed under Labour. What did they do about it?
    Yup, the policies started under Labour, as I acknowledged in an earlier post, but they have been continued by Cameron for more than five years. During that time there have been all sorts of warnings about the likely effect. He has not changed his policy, but surely he must have thought it through, thought about the consequences.

Or maybe he is just the shallow PR spiv that I always thought him to be.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited October 2015

Typical, I give up writing threads for a while, and there's a huge electoral reform story brewing

Tories Threaten To Suspend House Of Lords If It Kills Off Tax Credit Cuts As George Osborne Faces Down Critics

http://huff.to/1M2Ke2j

I think they are just playing hardball.

In any case, why not just put it in a Bill? It would then be a money bill and the Lords wouldn't be able to touch it.
    Could it be a tactic to justify appointing a few more Con Peers?

Remember what may well be the biggest vote of this entire Parliament - the Lords vote on the Statutory Instrument to implement the boundary changes - vote will be in Autumn 2018.

Cameron is going to want the Lords arithmetic in his favour by that point.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    test
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    CBC election special about to begin in a few minutes.

Live stream:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    viewcode said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

Moses_ said:

john_zims said:

@Moses

'1200 jobs to go at steel makers TATA in Scunthorpe. Governments getting blamed by Labour the TUC and the workers coming out of the gates. '

According to Sky interview UK energy prices 5x higher than competition plus Chinese dumping at below cost.

Can't do anthing about the dumping except demand China stop. Good luck with that.

Could they subsidise the energy cost thus avoiding "directly" propping up the plant. It probably still wouldn't be allowed nor would it achieve much until we insist UK uses its own steel first. That of course is also not allowed. Jeez what a mess.
    We shouldn't try to prop it up. We should thank the Chinese for so generously subsidising our steel use, improving British consumer welfare at the expense of Chinese living standards, and retrain the steel workers here to do something more sustainable.
    What's your suggestion?
    I understand there are shortages in some of the skilled and semi-skilled construction jobs, such as plasterers, pipe fitters etc. Some of the more talented workers could even be pushed into design fields which are exploding in the UK.
    I am sure HMG have a plan. After all the collapse of the UK steel industry which seems to be under way is a direct result of policies being pursued by Cameron and Co and they would have thought out the likely consequences and planned for them. Wouldn't they?

Thirty years ago the Conservatives were in charge when the coalmining industry packed up and then they had no plan as to how to deal with the human tragedy that was bound to ensue. Surely the Conservative Party would not make the same mistake twice.
    The plan is as follows:
    * If the people affected are voters for your party, then apply subsidies, tax benefits, grants, etc.
    * If the people affected are voters for the other party, then blame them and lecture them.

This is true regardless of which party is in power, as the miners and foxhunters can attest.
    Such cynicism, Mr. Code, though sadly you are probably correct. What happens though when both parties conspire together to pursue a policy of such monumental idiocy that it affects (well impoverishes, to be blunt) voters on both sides?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Those are not spectacular numbers for her. She'll get the nomination but I think that'll be it for her.
    She beats Trump by 5 points and Trump still has a comfortable lead for the GOP nomination
    Trump beats every candidate in a match to match contest with the exception of Carson according to the opinion polls.
    Car.
    Cruz is even more fanatical and these three seem to be making all the running on the GOP side at the moment
    centre
    If Hillary wins in 2016 she will lose in 2020.
    Men already hate her and an economic recession will be due.
    No, she is the Democrats Nixon, if she wins in 2016 the GOP will pick Cruz, their McGovern, in 2020 and
    If Hilla

Hillary, if she wins in 2016, will be the american Julia Gillard.
    There was no
    why I have low confidence in her.
    There was no recession of any real significance in 2000. There are more women than men in America and Hillary is far more competent and ruthless than Gillard. She is not brilliant, but then again against Trump and Cruz she does not have to be. She is not a natural politician, neither was Nixon, but she is ruthless enough to get it on the second attempt as he did
    Unemployment rose 2.5%, the stock market crashed spectacularly and the first bout of deflation appeared.
    One of the reasons Bush W. invaded Iraq was because his advisers (Rove) were afraid that it would cost him his re-election like his dad, so a nice short war would boost his popularity.
    Plus, Gillard not ruthless and Hillary competent?

I'll give you 2 examples, one Gillard being ruthless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0

Two, Hillary being incompetent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5ba5c3yVQ
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Welcome to Scotland...

@JournoStephen: Protesting a hospital. Protesting. A hospital.

A hospital. Protesting it.

https://t.co/LUzks8RO4m
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Typical, I give up writing threads for a while, and there's a huge electoral reform story brewing

Tories Threaten To Suspend House Of Lords If It Kills Off Tax Credit Cuts As George Osborne Faces Down Critics

In any case, why not just put it in a Bill? It would then be a money bill and the Lords wouldn't be able to touch it.

Remember what may well be the biggest vote of this entire Parliament - the Lords vote on the Statutory Instrument to implement the boundary changes - vote will be in Autumn 2018.

Do the Lords get a vote on the constituency boundaries? I didn't think they did and I am not sure they should - it after all a technical matter that affects only the election of the Commons rather than a piece of legislation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885

Until there is a real poll that opinion pollsters can be judged against, given the disaster of GE 2015, treat all with a HUGE pinch of salt.

They got the labour leader polling pretty spot on
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Are we expecting Canadian exit polls at midnight?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited October 2015
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Those are not spectacular numbers for her. She'll get the nomination but I think that'll be it for her.
    She beats Trump by 5 points and Trump still has a comfortable lead for the GOP nomination
    Trump beats every candidate in a match to match contest with the exception of Carson according to the opinion polls.
    Car.
    Cruz is even more fanatical and these three seem to be making all the running on the GOP side at the moment
    centre
    If Hillary wins in 2016 she will lose in 2020.
    Men already hate her and an economic recession will be due.
    No, she is the Democrats Nixon, if she wins in 2016 the GOP will pick Cruz, their McGovern, in 2020 and
    If Hilla

Hillary, if she wins in 2016, will be the american Julia Gillard.
    There was no
    why I have low confidence in her.
    There was no recession of any real significance in 2000. There are more women than men in America and Hillary is far more competent and ruthless than Gillard. She is not brilliant, but then again against Trump and Cruz she does not have to be. She is not a natural politician, neither was Nixon, but she is ruthless enough to get it on the second attempt as he did
    Unemployment rose 2.5%, the stock market crashed spectacularly and the first bout of deflation appeared.
    One of the reasons Bush W. invaded Iraq was because his advisers (Rove) were afraid that it would cost him his re-election like his dad, so a nice short war would boost his popularity.
    Plus, Gillard not ruthless and Hillary competent?

I'll give you 2 examples, one Gillard being ruthless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0

Two, Hillary being incompetent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5ba5c3yVQ
    The unemployment rate in 2000 was 4%, by the end of 2008 8%, in 1992 7.3% so nowhere near comparable
    http://www.multpl.com/unemployment/table

Gillard making a remark in parliament is not an example of ruthlessness, Benghazi has been done to death. Anyway, even Gillard won one election
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    One source says there was an exit poll expected at midnight but others are saying not so I'm a bit confused now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Scott_P said:

Welcome to Scotland...

Tremendous value for money if £865 million was the actual cost.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    AndyJS said:

Live stream:

Awesome. For a nightbird like me things like this are good background noise whilst I work.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,610

viewcode said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

Moses_ said:

john_zims said:

@Moses

What's your suggestion?

The plan is as follows:
    * If the people affected are voters for your party, then apply subsidies, tax benefits, grants, etc.
    * If the people affected are voters for the other party, then blame them and lecture them.

This is true regardless of which party is in power, as the miners and foxhunters can attest.
    Such cynicism, Mr. Code, though sadly you are probably correct. What happens though when both parties conspire together to pursue a policy of such monumental idiocy that it affects (well impoverishes, to be blunt) voters on both sides?
    Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that question...:-(
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

AndyJS said:

Live stream:

Awesome. For a nightbird like me things like this are good background noise whilst I work.
    Interesting point is that they don't have official declarations of constituencies like we do in the UK. Votes are counted at the local level which means the TV networks say a particular party is "leading" in a constituency until all the polling districts have finished reporting.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited October 2015

MikeL said:

Do the Lords get a vote on the constituency boundaries? I didn't think they did and I am not sure they should - it after all a technical matter that affects only the election of the Commons rather than a piece of legislation.
    Yes - Statutory Instrument is laid before Parliament to implement Boundary Commission reports.

It must be approved by Commons and Lords.

Con tried to change this in last Parliament - on the same day LD + Lab passed amendment cancelling 2013 Boundary review. Con amendment said in future PM lays reports directly before the Queen without needing Parliamentary vote - amendment was obviously defeated.

I thought Con might try putting that forward again now but no sign yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    In Newfoundland the Liberals would be expected to easily win Avalon and Labrador from the Conservatives and St. John's South—Mount Pearl from the NDP. The NDP should hold St. John's East where they have a huge majority. That would leave the Conservatives with no seats in the province.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nqs8lrKYeN06aXEV3YAguk9fCaMSLDnrvMh7pcn4KV4/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    isam said:

Until there is a real poll that opinion pollsters can be judged against, given the disaster of GE 2015, treat all with a HUGE pinch of salt.

They did indeed, Mr. Sam. However, the toxic effect from their work on the run up to the last GE is that one can never be sure what agenda the polling companies are trying to push.

Mr. Smithson can moan as much as he likes but the facts are quite stark. On the run up to the election the polling companies detected two trends - one group saw a swing to Labour and the other group saw a swing to the Conservatives, until finally they all settled at about the same place. We are asked to believe that there were two mutually exclusive trends happening nationally at the same time. How could that be? Well a clue can be found from the fact that one company conducted a poll that came up with a remarkably accurate prediction of the result but didn't publish it because, "It didn't feel right".

I would suggest that the polling companies take great pains to try and get as representative sample as they can, scientifically weight that sample for various factors to make it even more representative, and then publish whatever figures they feel like. No other explanation seems to fit the facts. However, we must wait for the polling industry's report of their, honest, investigation into how they got it so wrong - due May 2016, I am told.
  • Options
    Liberals hold Court of Bays seat in Newfoundland with a big majority in first seat to be forecast
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    It would be warmer - the argument is that the cold weather is due to a colder than average Atlantic, caused by cold water from Greenland's melting icecap.

Cold fresh water is less dense than salt water - so would keep on the surface.
  • Options
    Liberals leading in Labrador, a seat the Tories won in 2011, Liberals won back in subsequent by-election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Liberals hold Court of Bays seat in Newfoundland with a big majority in first seat to be forecast

That's based on a few hundred votes so it's a bit early.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

That's based on a few hundred votes so it's a bit early.
    Indeed, early days and Liberals should do well in Newfoundland, so far though Liberals ahead in all 5 seats where results coming in, anyway off for a quick shower
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited October 2015
    I think the way the Canadians count the votes is more exciting than ours. And the Huffington Post election website is far superior to anything put out by BBC.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

".

I would suggest that the polling companies take great pains to try and get as representative sample as they can, scientifically weight that sample for various factors to make it even more representative, and then publish whatever figures they feel like. No other explanation seems to fit the facts. However, we must wait for the polling industry's report of their, honest, investigation into how they got it so wrong - due May 2016, I am told.

just after the chilcott report comes out, probably
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Chris_A said:

I think the way the Canadians count the votes is more exciting than ours. And the Huffington Post election website is far superior to anything put out by BBC.

The way we count votes is based on the paternalistic idea that if we know exactly how each polling district has voted we may start a revolution because village X might have made the difference between parties A and B winning a particular constituency. For example a big town votes Labour by 50 votes and a village in the same constituency votes Conservative by 100 votes thus overriding political sentiment in the main settlement. By keeping the individual polling district results secret everyone can pretend this type of scenario never happens, even though everyone knows it must do.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Surely this is a truly terrible poll for Osborne.

Con 5 points ahead yet he only ties with Corbyn for best PM.

Everyone saying Corbyn is unelectable - on these numbers Osborne would be a disastrous choice for Con.

A bit surprising as in another poll last week Osborne was only 6 points behind Boris for best Con leader.

Osborne led with Tory voters, Boris had a comfortable lead with voters as a whole. Though I don't think Corbyn will still be Labour leader by late 2019 when Cameron steps down
    You think that Corbyn's demise may have parallels with Rasputin's?
    Are Boney M bringing out a disco stomper?

You think they'd be up to stomping?
  • Options
    So far Liberals have won 5 and are ahead in 3, Tories ahead in 1, NDP ahead in 1. Liberals ahead in Moncton which went Tory in 2011
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So far Liberals have won 5 and are ahead in 3, Tories ahead in 1, NDP ahead in 1. Liberals ahead in Moncton which went Tory in 2011

Interesting results so far but at the end of the day these provinces are not very important compared to Ontario and Quebec.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Liberals ahead in New Brunswick Southwest, Tories won with over 50% in 2011
  • Options
    watford30 said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

Moses_ said:

john_zims said:

@Moses

What's your suggestion?

The collapse of steelmaking? That's directly attributable to the crackpot green energy policies engineered by the previous Labour government and Ed Milliband, which made the cost of production sky rocket, relative to cheap Chinese energy.

The same policies have caused the closure of so many power plants, such that the UK faces the likely and serious prospect of blackouts this Winter.

As for coal mines, more closed under Labour. What did they do about it?
    This should do more damage to the Greens than Labour but it won't 'cos they're even more unworldly and brainless
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Welcome to Scotland...

Protesting AGAINST it, surely, this side of the Atlantic????
  • Options
    Liberals on 69% in Atlantic Canada so far
  • Options
    NDP trailing in Acadie Bathurst to Liberals despite winning the seat with 69% in 2011
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting results so far but at the end of the day these provinces are not very important compared to Ontario and Quebec.
    Indeed but key swing seats there are in the Atlantic looking good for Trudeau so far
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

The service is awful, personnel keeps changing all the time, but evidently it's cheaper, a lot cheaper.

The retail banking model is utterly broken in the UK.

Banks are expected to maintain high cost service infrastructure (CHAPS, FP, ATM, etc) and are shouted at (Ulster Bank) when it breaks down.

But customers refuse to pay for this infrastructure (free current accounts). And the banks get sued for cross-selling (PPI) and regulated on charges they can make for infringment of account T&Cs (CC rules letter fees). Even when they make a profit, they pay an 8% surcharge on profits, and are now required to hold excess capital to take account of deposit flight risk even though the Bank of England overnight rates mean it is virtually impossible to earn money on deposits.

So they try to reduce costs. And people complain when they close branches and complain when staff are offshored.

Just f**king pay for th product, alright? Then the sector might f**king work.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I am not a retail banker)
    Banks can make decent money off of guaranteeing letters of credit and so forth, Barclays have done better than us out of our main contract this year for sure !

With personal banking though, they're throwing money at us all. I've signed up for 2 new current accounts this year and am happy to take the FSCS protected largesse of TSB as the most recent example.
    As someone who spent many years in the City, there are banks and there are banks. TSB doesn't fall into either category despite its name.
  • Options
    Liberals looking to have won a seat in St John's from NDP
  • Options
    MikeK said:

test

where?
  • Options
    In Prince Edward Island Liberals ahead in Egmont, Tories won the seat with 54% in 2011
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Does seem like the NDP vote has basically gone liberal as per the polls.

At least on the east coast.
  • Options
    Liberals leading NDP incumbent in Sackville in New Brunswick
  • Options
    isam said:

treat all with a HUGE pinch of salt. as in looking back without turning into a pillar thereof.
  • Options
    These results being reported, are they just single ballot boxes from within a constituency?
  • Options
    Liberals leading in Saint John Rothesay which has been Tory since the 1950s, but very early days there
  • Options
    Pong said:

Does seem like the NDP vote has basically gone liberal as per the polls.

At least on the east coast.

Newfoundland was the only province which voted Liberal last time.
  • Options

isam said:

They did indeed, Mr. Sam. However, the toxic effect from their work on the run up to the last GE is that one can never be sure what agenda the polling companies are trying to push.

Mr. Smithson can moan as much as he likes but the facts are quite stark. On the run up to the election the polling companies detected two trends - one group saw a swing to Labour and the other group saw a swing to the Conservatives, until finally they all settled at about the same place. We are asked to believe that there were two mutually exclusive trends happening nationally at the same time. How could that be? Well a clue can be found from the fact that one company conducted a poll that came up with a remarkably accurate prediction of the result but didn't publish it because, "It didn't feel right".

It's a bit like city soothsayers. It's okay to be wrong when everyone else is but it's instant death to be wrong when everyone else is right.
  • Options

".

just after the chilcott report comes out, probably
    That's when hell freezes over isn't it?
  • Options
    Liberals 70% NDP 14% Tories 11% in Newfoundland so far. In 2011 was Liberal 37% NDP 32% Tory 28% so suggests a huge Liberal swing even if in their strongest region
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2011
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    St John's East:

Last time the result was NDP 71%, Con 20%, Lib 8%.
    Latest numbers: NDP 47%, Lib 44%, Con 7%.

Liberals need a 32% swing, currently getting 30%.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Liberals 70% NDP 14% Tories 11% in Newfoundland so far. In 2011 was Liberal 37% NDP 32% Tory 28% so suggests a huge Liberal swing even if in their strongest region

Crosby really managed to unite the opposition against the canadian Tories.
    The early projection is the biggest landslide victory for any party since 1993 or 1984.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

But will it be the same phenomenon for the Liberals as Ed this year, piling up votes in their safest areas?
  • Options
    66% Liberal 15.4% NDP 15.2% Tory with 38.5% of Canadian votes now in
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

The early projection is the biggest landslide victory for any party since 1993 or 1984.
    You can't predict a Canadian election based on the eastern seaboard provinces.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

You can't predict a Canadian election based on the eastern seaboard provinces.
    You can perhaps predict the swing though and it is big, clearly as we move into Ontario and certainly their Western heartlands the Tories will do better but looking good for Trudeau so far
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

But will it be the same phenomenon for the Liberals as Ed this year, piling up votes in their safest areas?
    The CBC polling guy compared Atlantic polling/subsamples vs actual results and the liberal vote was quite a bit higher. IIRC the liberal vote indicated in the opinion polls was ~55% vs 65% in the results.

Very early days.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

They are winning several key marginals so no
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Central Nova would be a terrible loss for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed Liberals up 35% in Atlantic Canada to 64%, Tories down 21.5% to 16%, NDP 14% to 15% since 2011. Liberals leading in EVERY single seat in Atlantic Canada
  • Options
    Liberals looking to have gained Halifax from the NDP
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Yep and that is looking dicey for them
  • Options
    RIP Lynton Crosby's career.

An enemy of marauding scots was one thing, a personalised assault on a lady in a niqab is quite another.

What a nasty, nasty man.
  • Options
    Looks like the Tories are doing slightly better in New Brunswick compared to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Might be irrelevant, although on the other hand it could mean the further west you go the better they do relatively speaking.
  • Options
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/electionresults has good coverage too - one of the pundits said a Lib majority might be in play now.

Massive vote rise for them in the Atlantic provinces - what will happen in the seat-rich Quebec and Ontario when they close at 2.30 BST?

Already they are projected to win just 3 seats fewer from just 4 provinces than they did from the whole country in 2011.

• Options

http://www.ctvnews.ca/electionresults has good coverage too - one of the pundits said a Lib majority might be in play now.

Massive vote rise for them in the Atlantic provinces - what will happen in the seat-rich Quebec and Ontario when they close at 2.30 BST?

Already they are projected to win just 3 seats fewer from just 4 provinces than they did from the whole country in 2011.

It certainly is in play if the rest of Canada behaves like the eastern provinces. But that's a big if at this stage IMO.
  • Options
    Pong said:

An enemy of marauding scots was one thing, a personalised assault on a lady in a niqab is quite another.

What a nasty, nasty man.

Abbott out, Harper now looking out, he is left with Zac Goldsmith and Malcolm Turnbull, both climate change concerned, gay marriage embracing liberals, hardly ideal Crosby territory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

What a nasty, nasty man.

Abbott out, Harper now looking out, he is left with Zac Goldsmith and Malcolm Turnbull, both climate change concerned, gay marriage embracing liberals, hardly ideal Crosby territory
    And also the small matter of having won the UK general election against all expectations.
  • Options
    Liberals a
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Yep and that is looking dicey for them
    Central Nova now looking to have gone Liberal
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

What a nasty, nasty man.

And also the small matter of having won the UK general election against all expectations.
    True but Cameron would likely have won without him, though he did help with the SNP scare
  • Options
    Seat change so far - Liberals up 17, Tories down 13, NDP down 4
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The Bloc Québécois must be getting a bit nervous about being wiped out by the Liberals. Hopefully that's precisely what happens IMO. I can't stand the BQ.
  • Options
    Libs leading in first Quebec riding to start counting. I wonder if this is starting to look like a wave election and the lion's share of the Stop Harper vote has gone to the Liberals.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    AndyJS said:

The Bloc Québécois must be getting a bit nervous about being wiped out by the Liberals. Hopefully that's precisely what happens IMO. I can't stand the BQ.

Yep, though the Liberals have not won most seats in Quebec at a general election since 1980 (coincidentally the year in which the first independence referendum in the province took place, on which basis Scottish Labour would have to wait until 2050 to see their fortunes fully restored north of the border)
  • Options

Libs leading in first Quebec riding to start counting. I wonder if this is starting to look like a wave election and the lion's share of the Stop Harper vote has gone to the Liberals.

That's the explanation I think. The NDP collapsed from 32% to 20% in the last four weeks.
  • Options
    Con % scores in Atlantic are below 1993.
  • Options
    Gaspésie—Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine was won by the NDP in 2011 by 800 votes. Boundary changes have shifted it to the BQ by about 1,500.
  • Options
    I think the BQ only won 4 seats in 2011? The NDP swept Quebec then but it looks like a lot of those may go Lib this time?
  • Options
    Looking like a Liberal win now, will tune back in again briefly at 2.30 when Ontario and Quebec really start to come in then to bed and will confirm in the morning
  • Options

I think the BQ only won 4 seats in 2011? The NDP swept Quebec then but it looks like a lot of those may go Lib this time?

Indeed, though the BQ won most seats in Quebec at every Canadian general election from 1993 to 2011
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    edit
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Any good sites for the results?
  • Options
    RobD said:

http://www.cbc.ca/includes/federalelection/dashboard/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

http://www.cbc.ca/includes/federalelection/dashboard/
    Ta!
  • Options
    Polls just closed in Ontario, next half hour crucial
  • Options
    Tories holding 1 seat in Quebec so far
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sounds a lot like Scotland :D
  • Options
    Libs 41 Tories 6 NDP 1 latest
  • Options
    Liberals leading in Glengarry in Ottowa, Tories won with 48% in 2011
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's elected + seats in which they are leading, but not declared. Don't think I'd ever get used to votes being partially declared. Ruins the fun. ;)
  • Options
    Tories doing better in Quebec than English-speaking Atlantic Canada.
  • Options
    Liberals leading in Mississuaga held by the Tories, Tom Mulcair trailing behind the Liberals in Outremont in Montreal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Does that actually mean anything though?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    CBC now projecting a Liberal government, Justin Trudeau to be PM. Unclear if minority or majority but they are making the call
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

What a nasty, nasty man.

It was Messina wot won it.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

What a nasty, nasty man.

It was Messina wot won it.
    Don't be silly. It was the Master Strategist wot won it.
  • Options
    Seat update Liberal 66 Tory 31 NDP 8 BQ 1

• Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, as CBC now projecting the Liberals have won the election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, as CBC now projecting the Liberals have won the election
    No, in that particular seat. The Liberals could be ahead after one vote is counted, for instance.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds a lot like Scotland :D
    Indeed, same independence movements too
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

That's elected + seats in which they are leading, but not declared. Don't think I'd ever get used to votes being partially declared. Ruins the fun. ;)
    Yes leads and forecasts not complete results but gives the trend