Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lynton Crosby’s magic fails to save the Tories in Canada

Comments

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    antifrank said:
    It was Black Wednesday that did for the Tories. They won the election after the Poll Tax was introduced.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

15,000 Gay Couples Married since 2014 in UK.

Excellent Legislation

How many divorces?!
  • Options

chestnut said:

It does strike me as odd that the 1997-2010 Labour government which sanctioned a big expansion in the state sector, a big expansion in state spending, a big expansion in welfare spending, open door immigration, limitless welfare, that renationalised network rail in 2002, that devolved power in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland etc is now characterised as a Tory-lite government.

It comes across as an act of denial, as though people can't accept that Labour did most of the things it always dreams of and it didn't work.

It borrowed big, spent big and failed.

Osborne agreed to match Labour Public Spending
    Except Labour didn't stick to the spending totals Osborne agreed to match. so that is nul and void.
  • Options
    If I was a steel worker, I would be pretty p----d off with the media standing outside the gates and telling me there are going to xxxx job losses before it has been announced.

All the broadcasters trying to create the narrative that it is the "government's fault." They knew this was coming but once again are reacting instead of being proactive. They never learn. Those "events" are coming thick and fast!
  • Options

15,000 Gay Couples Married since 2014 in UK.

Excellent Legislation

Totally agreed. We'll one day look back and wonder how it was ever contentious. I already do.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    MaxPB said:

Certainly an amazing result for the Liberals. What is it with North America and political dynasties?

On Mike's headline: was Lynton Crosby actually involved to any significant degree?

I just hope it doesn't catch on here. Euan Blair or Florence Cameron would not get my vote.
    Kinnocks, Johnsons, Benns, Aitkens, Churchills etc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_families_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:
    What's most surprising about that article is the comments. They seem to be broadly supportive of the tax credit cuts for the same reason I am. People are severely overestimating the damage they will do to the government.
    I'd say people fall into two groups: those overestimating the potential damage to the Conservatives and those underestimating the potential damage to the Conservatives. People in work who are put into real hardship are going to feel, with some justification, seriously pissed off. They are not going to be shy about voicing their opinions. Hard luck cases will circulate rapidly on twitter and facebook. The number of hard luck cases may be quite low, but the reputational damage may be considerable.

I doubt it's a poll tax in the making but it's an entirely avoidable serious blunder worthy of the omnishambles budget. The general principle would be at least tolerated but the public would expect the hardest hit to be given more help than they are currently being offered. The government would be very well-advised to ameliorate the worst hardships.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    JEO said:

MaxPB said:

King Cole, opposing bad oversight is a good thing.

Not when you appear to believe that no oversight at all is better!
    No one in the Tory party said no oversight though? As I read it was the splitting of functions that was opposed and the creation, or at least remodeling, of the FSA into a massively powerful regulator, but with no power to backstop broken banks. In the end the Bank took over a lot of the FSA's functions in 2008/9 because the FSA were so ill equipped to handle a crisis.

Less regulation is generally a good thing, but it needs to be good regulation, not just mindless box ticking and diversity seminars.
    Quite. The FSA was far more interested in process than fundamentals. The criticisms Lilley made when Brown's triple-headed regulation was first brought in were perceptive.

The argument between 'more' and 'less' was a typical Brownite misleading dividing line, assuming, as it did, that more automatically meant better. It didn't and it doesn't.
    But Brown didn't argue for more at the time. They broadcast loud and clear how banking regulation in the UK was "feather light".
    His criticism of the Tories after the event was that we argued for 'even less' beforehand.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    MaxPB said:

What's most surprising about that article is the comments. They seem to be broadly supportive of the tax credit cuts for the same reason I am. People are severely overestimating the damage they will do to the government.

The main reason for the over-estimating is that almost everyone seems to think that the entire 'loss' is actual money taken away from recipients, but it isn't so. Polly, bless her, makes this error very clearly:

After all, 3.2 million low-paid families will see their tax credits fall by on average £1,300 a year.

No, they won't. A much smaller number than that will see their tax credits fall (because of the change in the tapering rules), and the loss will be less that that. She, and most of the other critics, are bundling in the changes on new claimants and the freeze into their figures. These parts of the changes won't cause tax credits to fall in nominal terms for existing claimants.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2015

If I was a steel worker, I would be pretty p----d off with the media standing outside the gates and telling me there are going to xxxx job losses before it has been announced.

All the broadcasters trying to create the narrative that it is the "government's fault." They knew this was coming but once again are reacting instead of being proactive. They never learn. Those "events" are coming thick and fast!

Radio 5 were whipping up a storm over the problems at Caparo yesterday, and seemed somewhat disappointed when a spokesman for the Administrators said that they expected most of the business to remain in operation and only some job losses.

The curious thing is why so many steel companies are closing down at the same time? Or is it simply that the media are taking an interest and reporting ongoing closures that have been taking place all year?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:
    tim late of this parish claimed child benefit cuts would cost the Conservatives the 2015 election.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2015

Canada I could vote for that.

Promises made on the back of twenty years of surplus or negligible deficit, with debt to GDP trimmed by nearly 40% peak to trough in that time.

Could you go through that first?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:
    I'd say people fall into two groups: those overestimating the potential damage to the Conservatives and those underestimating the potential damage to the Conservatives. People in work who are put into real hardship are going to feel, with some justification, seriously pissed off. They are not going to be shy about voicing their opinions. Hard luck cases will circulate rapidly on twitter and facebook. The number of hard luck cases may be quite low, but the reputational damage may be considerable.

I doubt it's a poll tax in the making but it's an entirely avoidable serious blunder worthy of the omnishambles budget. The general principle would be at least tolerated but the public would expect the hardest hit to be given more help than they are currently being offered. The government would be very well-advised to ameliorate the worst hardships.
    The hardest cases I think are those where someone works 16 hours a week. Which can be alleviated by upping hours I think. Given the increase in childcare this should not be an issue.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, quite.

If Brown were a doctor he would've prescribed 100% oxygen. Because more is better, you know.

On dynasties: don't forget Pitt the Younger.

Still it is amusing that a republic has stronger political dynasties than a kingdom.

Yes, but only one example of a PM being father to a PM, and that before 1832 when politics was even more a family business than it is now (not least because it was just as legitimate for a PM to come from the Lords, and more likely - because of the money there - that a peer would lead a faction or party).

There are plenty of examples father-son combos to have made cabinet level, and a few which extend to more than two generations, but none I can think of where a son or grandson (or, these days, daughter), has come close to following in their father's footsteps into No 10. Curiously, the closest may be where the child has gone further than the parent, with perhaps the Chamberlains as the best example.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

chestnut said:

It does strike me as odd that the 1997-2010 Labour government which sanctioned a big expansion in the state sector, a big expansion in state spending, a big expansion in welfare spending, open door immigration, limitless welfare, that renationalised network rail in 2002, that devolved power in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland etc is now characterised as a Tory-lite government.

It comes across as an act of denial, as though people can't accept that Labour did most of the things it always dreams of and it didn't work.

It borrowed big, spent big and failed.

Osborne agreed to match Labour Public Spending
    Except Labour didn't stick to the spending totals Osborne agreed to match. so that is nul and void.
    Osborne hasnt stuck to his either though.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

The hardest cases I think are those where someone works 16 hours a week. Which can be alleviated by upping hours I think. Given the increase in childcare this should not be an issue.
    It can be hard to increase hours however. Retailers especially have got used to a model of having several people working part time, even when they want full time jobs, to maintain more flexibility and cover. With an endless supply of willing workers from Eastern Europe and the taxpayer subsidy, the pressure from workers to provide more hours is not that strong.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Tories losing in Canada, with excellent economy proves that it is not just the economy, stupid. Add good politics. Harper didn't empathise with the electorate. Boris will be great politically, although poor in parliament. George is too dry. Corbyn is appealing to some people. If that will be enough, who knows. Hope not.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    As we're speaking of hereditary stuff, it's notable that the Golden Age of Imperial Rome involved a number of adopted heirs become emperor, not blood relatives. That ended when the overrated, oblivious Marcus Aurelius decided his successor should be his son* Commodus.

*Although, as Aurelius' wife had many affairs, he may not have actually been his son.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

I don't understand why Osborne has got himself into this mess. Maybe it is a case of not paying attention to details whilst busy scheming ways to shaft Labour? Whatever the reason, this will be a real test for Cameron-Osborne. Will they follow Ken Clarke's advice and put on a tin helmet and stick it out, or will they use the House of Lords or some other device to quietly backtrack a little.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

Certainly an amazing result for the Liberals. What is it with North America and political dynasties?

On Mike's headline: was Lynton Crosby actually involved to any significant degree?

I just hope it doesn't catch on here. Euan Blair or Florence Cameron would not get my vote.
    Why have you formed a judgement on either?

Surely you should look at their merits at the time they put themselves forward?
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, quite.

If Brown were a doctor he would've prescribed 100% oxygen. Because more is better, you know.

Still it is amusing that a republic has stronger political dynasties than a kingdom.

Yes, but only one example of a PM being father to a PM, and that before 1832 when politics was even more a family business than it is now (not least because it was just as legitimate for a PM to come from the Lords, and more likely - because of the money there - that a peer would lead a faction or party).

There are plenty of examples father-son combos to have made cabinet level, and a few which extend to more than two generations, but none I can think of where a son or grandson (or, these days, daughter), has come close to following in their father's footsteps into No 10. Curiously, the closest may be where the child has gone further than the parent, with perhaps the Chamberlains as the best example.
    Lord Salisbury was Arthur Balfour's uncle (hence "Bob's your uncle"). Balfour succeeded Salisbury directly as Prime Minister: a literal case of nepotism.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Promises made on the back of twenty years of surplus or negligible deficit, with debt to GDP trimmed by nearly 40% peak to trough in that time.

Mr. Harper is “the King of Deficits.” According to the winning party
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

Lord Salisbury was Arthur Balfour's uncle (hence "Bob's your uncle"). Balfour succeeded Salisbury directly as Prime Minister: a literal case of nepotism.
    I'm not sure it was 'literally nepotism' in that Balfour was widely respected during Salisbury's leadership and remained a significant figure long after his uncle's death; he may well have become PM anyway. But yes, good example.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Mr. Harper is “the King of Deficits.” According to the winning party
    That demonstrates just how different, and how conservative, a view the Canadians have on borrowing.

3% to them is 'king deficit', over here it was 'abolishing boom and bust'.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited October 2015
    TGOHF said:

JWisemann said:

If Trudeau makes good on his promises regarding electoral reform, cannabis legalisation and less damaging environmental policies he will have made the world a better place. The centre of gravity on the hypocritical, damaging drug war is soon to reach the point of no return. Not that you'd know it from this government's execrable and unenforceable Psychoactive Substances Bill, which if it becomes law will rank as one of the most illiberal, nonsensical and authoritarian laws ever passed in this country.

Other countries legalising is a useful step forward - if deemed to be a success then easier to push for the change here.

How does EU law influence decriminalisation - Dutch seem to be cracking down whilst Portugal are going the other way.
    If us two are both on a similar page you know something must be ridiculous!
    Any of the Tory ultra-loyalists here care to try and defend the lunacy of the Psychoactive Substances Bill?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    @MaxPB

Given Canada has gone into recession, I would be very surprised if it continued to run a surplus.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

TGOHF said:

JWisemann said:

If Trudeau makes good on his promises regarding electoral reform, cannabis legalisation and less damaging environmental policies he will have made the world a better place. The centre of gravity on the hypocritical, damaging drug war is soon to reach the point of no return. Not that you'd know it from this government's execrable and unenforceable Psychoactive Substances Bill, which if it becomes law will rank as one of the most illiberal, nonsensical and authoritarian laws ever passed in this country.

Other countries legalising is a useful step forward - if deemed to be a success then easier to push for the change here.

How does EU law influence decriminalisation - Dutch seem to be cracking down whilst Portugal are going the other way.
    If us two are both on a similar page you know something must be ridiculous!
    Any of the Tory ultra-loyalists here care to try and defend the lunacy of the Psychoactive Substances Bill?
    Don't think this is a left / right issue - more authoritarian/libertarian issue. Its a futile waste of money frankly this "war on drugs".

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I think the maths of the tax credit cuts are confusing, but one thing I do believe is that the more Osborne cuts now, the more he will have to give away in tax cuts in three or four years' time.

I suspect the opposition knows this too. If they really thought credit cuts were a 10p tax moment, they would keep quiet about it, and let Osborne make the mistake.

The real debate here is about people who are wedded to the state. The left fears that, by the end of the parliament, fewer will be.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

You mean the bill which introduces provisions almost identical to those Labour advocated?

http://www.headoflegal.com/2015/06/08/psychoactive-substances-labours-february-2015-amendment-to-the-serious-crime-bill/
  • Options
    taffys said:

I think the maths of the tax credit cuts are confusing, but one thing I do believe is that the more Osborne cuts now, the more he will have to give away in tax cuts in three or four years' time.

I suspect the opposition knows this too. If they really thought credit cuts were a 10p tax moment, they would keep quiet about it, and let Osborne make the mistake.

The real debate here is about people who are wedded to the state. The left fears that, by the end of the parliament, fewer will be.

Yes but thats still a win - slash tax credits but raise the allowance or cut taxes further - its a much better place to be at the end of it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    taffys said:

Tax cuts? What happened to running a surplus? Cynics might suspect Osborne is one of them.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The chorus of those pointing linking high energy costs, green policies and steel job losses is mercifully rising.

Yesterday Dom Lawson, today Iain Martin and Tata themselves.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

You mean the bill which introduces provisions almost identical to those Labour advocated?

http://www.headoflegal.com/2015/06/08/psychoactive-substances-labours-february-2015-amendment-to-the-serious-crime-bill/
    I thought it needed some tweaks, nothing major.

I did hear some truly ludicruous arguments against, which by and large I won't repeat.

One friend suggested it was unheard of that we should operate a whitelist. I pointed out a large part of our financial regulation was based on such a principle. He didn't come back with any further points on that line.
  • Options
    taffys said:

If they're not wedded to the state where the hell do you think they'll be? I've seen these sort of comments on here for so long. These are not individuals with thousands in savings we're talking about, it's families who spend every penny that they EARN in paying rent, utilities, and raising their families. Maby of them are going to be umbilically joined to the state because they'll be homeless with their families in temporary accommodation paid for by the state. Economists warn of the effect of mortgage interest rises next year - these cuts are equivalent to £100-£200 a month mortgage rises...that is going to be catastrophic
  • Options
    ''Economists warn of the effect of mortgage interest rises next year - these cuts are equivalent to £100-£200 a month mortgage rises...that is going to be catastrophic''

Well if that is the case, you'll be back in government soon enough.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Dear Ultra Loyalist

How are the Lansley reforms impacting the NHS right now?

Thanks

Ultra Loyalist.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Final results, Conservatives have just dropped below 100 seats:

http://www.cbc.ca/includes/federalelection/dashboard/index.html

Interestingly the Conservatives haven't actually dropped that many votes - down from 5.8million in 2011 to 5.6 million in 2015. Even factoring in around 1 million of population growth over the past 4 years that's worth noting.

Harper's base seems pretty loyal; they just seem to have been swept aside by a massive Liberal tsunami.

It does sort of suggest that until the Liberals become unpopular again, or the Tories significantly expand.their base, they will be out of office for a while.
  • Options

Interestingly the Conservatives haven't actually dropped that many votes - down from 5.8million in 2011 to 5.6 million in 2015. Even factoring in around 1 million of population growth over the past 4 years that's worth noting.

Ed Miliband increased the Labour vote at the last election :)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    taffys said:

''Economists warn of the effect of mortgage interest rises next year - these cuts are equivalent to £100-£200 a month mortgage rises...that is going to be catastrophic''

Mortgage interest rates going up are good news for pensioners and those with savings.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Dair said:

JWisemann said:

But. Someone. Died. And. Their. Parents. Were. On. BBC. Breakfast. Crying.

Won't someone think about the children!
    Oh, bravo! :)
  • Options

How are the Lansley reforms impacting the NHS right now?.

Not as well as they would have done if they'd been implemented according to the original Lansley plans, before the LibDems got cold feet and forced additional layers of complexity to be introduced. Still, things seem to have gone quite well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31018004
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Dear Ultra Loyalist

How are the Lansley reforms impacting the NHS right now?

Thanks

Ultra Loyalist.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4590449.ece

"Incompetence, not cash, to blame for NHS crisis"
    Rachel Sylvester

• Options
    John McDonnell ‏@johnmcdonnellMP · 3h3 hours ago
    I congratulate Liberal Party of Canada on resounding election victory on clear anti-austerity & investment to grow economy platform.
  • Options

taffys said:

Mortgage interest rates going up are good news for pensioners and those with savings.

Indeed - the very group that have been insulated from the cuts more than any other.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, reminds me that Miliband used to aspire to be the British Francois Hollande.
  • Options

Indeed - the very group that have been insulated from the cuts more than any other.

Really? Savers?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband increased the Labour vote at the last election :)
    True, but that's in seeking office. Harper almost stood pat whilst losing office to a Liberal Tsunami.

Worth noting, I'd say.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ''Mortgage interest rates going up are good news for pensioners and those with savings.''

Maybe. Mortgage rates going up in 2016 is still a big if. I still don;t believe this tooth and nail opposition to tax credit cuts from the party that gave us the 10p tax is out of altruism.

It is more than that. The debate is about cutting the apron strings of the state, which the left are desperate to avoid.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

taffys said:

Mike's allowed a little self-interest after all the time & money he's put into this site :-)
  • Options
    Hope mortgages don't go up too much, I'm quite enjoying borrowing at just over 2%.
  • Options

Really? Savers?
    You mean those who have accumulated their wealth in the past, benefited from property booms whilst the kids and grand kids will struggle even to rent a home of their own, let alone buy one. Saving is a freakin' aspiration for millions in this country.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    The Canadians are so much more evolved than us...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

John McDonnell ‏@johnmcdonnellMP · 3h3 hours ago
    I congratulate Liberal Party of Canada on resounding election victory on clear anti-austerity & investment to grow economy platform.

Will Jeremy be on a steam boat to Canada to be the first to congratulate him ?
  • Options

Still, things seem to have gone quite well:

Thanks you really believe things are going well in the NHS?

Thats good news then

http://www.hsj.co.uk/newsletter/comment/panic-and-denial-wont-solve-funding-issues/5090395.article?WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Newsletter170#.ViYZ_H6rQol
  • Options

Really? Savers?
    You mean those who have accumulated their wealth in the past, benefited from property booms whilst the kids and grand kids will struggle even to rent a home of their own, let alone buy one. Saving is a freakin' aspiration for millions in this country.
    No, it's a discipline.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hope mortgages don't go up too much, I'm quite enjoying borrowing at just over 2%.

I fixed for five years a few months ago so don't much care.
  • Options
    taffys said:

A 0.5% rise in rates (as much as we'd get) would be around £85 extra a month for a £200k mortgage.

Impact will probably be staggered as most of us are now on 2/3/5 year fixed rate deals.
  • Options

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.
    You live in a completely different world to a whole lot of people...
  • Options
    I thought labour and the liberals were in favour of shifting the burden of helping the low paid from the tax payer to nasty horrible large corporations. I thought this was a labour policy.

Now the tories are implementing it, they are against...???
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    murali_s said:

The Canadians are so much more evolved than us...

I love comments like these, they are very revealing of the attitudes of Labour supporters.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, quite.

My family had 4 cabinet ministers (3 direct line, 1 first cousin) plus one father-in-law and one grandfather-in-law in the Cabinet during the 20th century. Plus, I'm sure, assorted other cousins with further degrees of separation.
  • Options

taffys said:

A 0.5% rise in rates (as much as we'd get) would be around £85 extra a month for a £200k mortgage.

Impact will probably be staggered as most of us are now on 2/3/5 year fixed rate deals.
    What do you think a 1% rise would have on homeowners?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.
    There are plenty of people across the developing world who save money despite having far lower incomes, even on a PPP basis. Too many people have a mentality in this country of "if I have money in my account, I can spend it". Some of those apply that to an overdraft too.
  • Options

Thats good news then

http://www.hsj.co.uk/newsletter/comment/panic-and-denial-wont-solve-funding-issues/5090395.article?WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=Newsletter170#.ViYZ_H6rQol
    I can't actually remember any time - not even in the New Labour boom years when Brown was pouring money in like it grew on trees - when the NHS didn't claim to be in near-terminal crisis.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @steve_hawkes: Confirmed: Zac Goldsmith, David Davis and Stephen McPartland signing Frank Field's call for a Commons motion forcing rethink on tax credits
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I can't actually remember any time - not even in the New Labour boom years when Brown was pouring money in like it grew on trees - when the NHS didn't claim to be in near-terminal crisis.

Despite that it does surprisingly well. Maybe some people are exaggerating the problems?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Thats good news then

Of course it's in permanent crisis, because its mechanism for matching supply with demand is the queue.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I thought labour and the liberals were in favour of shifting the burden of helping the low paid from the tax payer to nasty horrible large corporations. I thought this was a labour policy.

Brown was only interested in buying votes with tax payers money. It will take years to unravel the financial disaster Brown left us with.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, aye.

It is difficult when money's tight, though. And when that's the case, but things improve, it can be tempting to spend a lot, almost in relief that it's actually possible.

I quite like that schuldig is the German word for both debt and guilt.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

My family had 4 cabinet ministers (3 direct line, 1 first cousin) plus one father-in-law and one grandfather-in-law in the Cabinet during the 20th century. Plus, I'm sure, assorted other cousins with further degrees of separation.
    You don't sound like a Benn?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. P, not sure Davis being unhelpful to Cameron qualifies as news. Who's McPartland?

Edited extra bit: Mr. Herdson, could be a Chamberlain.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@steve_hawkes: Confirmed: Zac Goldsmith, David Davis and Stephen McPartland signing Frank Field's call for a Commons motion forcing rethink on tax credits

Yawn - Zac is such a wet.
  • Options

Thats good news then

More intriguing was the instant dismissal of public opinion about the NHS.

• Options

Thats good news then

So you can remember an NHS regulator calling a "worst in a generation financial crisis" before?

When?

Oh and the SoS agreeing the NHS is in grip of "worst financial crisis in its history".

Oh and waiting lists getting worse and more targets been missed than hit.

Thanks for your in depth knowledge on this.

I will sleep easier now.

FFS Richard why dont you just admit you were wrong re Lansley
  • Options

taffys said:

What do you think a 1% rise would have on homeowners?
    Double the above. I always check I can afford a 3% rise, if push came to shove.

Anything more than that and we're all buggered so there's no point in planning for it.
  • Options
    Just Google 'NHS crisis NNNN' where NNNN is any year from 2000 to 2015 and you'll get zillions of hits. 'Twas ever so.

Of course there are heavy pressures from the demographics. Luckily we have a government which has been able to protect the budget in real terms, but there is certainly a need for improved efficiency.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

taffys said:

About to fix for 10 years at 3% for the new place. Some deals out there are amazing for people with larger mortgages. It will give me a lot of security knowing that for 10 years my liabilities are fixed and at the end of the 10 year period one hopes to be in a position to significantly reduce the total mortgage amount thereby making it easier to remortgage for a decent rate even if interest rates are much higher than today.

Anyone who doesn't fix in today's climate is an idiot.
  • Options

Of course it's in permanent crisis, because its mechanism for matching supply with demand is the queue.

Absolutely.
  • Options

Charles said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

I'm not... and I'm not a Mandelson either...
  • Options
    JEO said:

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.
    There are plenty of people across the developing world who save money despite having far lower incomes, even on a PPP basis. Too many people have a mentality in this country of "if I have money in my account, I can spend it". Some of those apply that to an overdraft too.
    The trick is to have a standing order to a savings account very early in each month that you view as a bill, like council tax or utilities.

Even £100 a month can make a big difference over the course of a year, when the unexpected comes up.
  • Options
    Williamz said:

taffys said:

Brown was only interested in buying votes with tax payers money. It will take years to unravel the financial disaster Brown left us with.
    and I suppose, cutting inheritance tax for properties worth £2 million and subsidised interest rates for pensioner savers with £100k to invest isn't buying votes ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015

So you can remember an NHS regulator calling a "worst in a generation financial crisis" before?

I can't remember a regulator who hasn't said that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/5485814/NHS-will-face-15bn-budget-shortfall-due-to-effects-of-recession-managers-warn.html
  • Options
    glw said:

Despite that it does surprisingly well. Maybe some people are exaggerating the problems?
    Hunt or Monitor?

Both say its in worst crisis of a generation/ever.

Take your pick.

RN says its doing fine though
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

When did Davis turn into such a wet?
  • Options

JEO said:

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.
    The trick is to have a standing order to a savings account very early in each month that you view as a bill, like council tax or utilities.

Even £100 a month can make a big difference over the course of a year, when the unexpected comes up.
    Yeah?...well that £100 standing order has just been gobbled up by a £200 a month drop of family income from the Tax Credits cuts hasn't it...so what now when the unexpected comes up?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Well, it causes trouble for Cameron/Osborne.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited October 2015
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Ever since Cameron didn't give Davis his job back after that by election.
  • Options

i can't remember a regulator who hasn't said that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/5485814/NHS-will-face-15bn-budget-shortfall-due-to-effects-of-recession-managers-warn.html
    £15bn is now £30bn and as JeremyHunt says "the worst the NHS financial crisis ever"

but happy to take your assurances things are going well.
  • Options
    I'm now officially endorsing Brexit

Quitting the EU could improve the chicken tikka masala served in Britain’s Indian restaurants, MPs claimed today.

Paul Scully, Tory MP for Sutton and Cheam, said that “Brexit” — a British exit from the European Union — would return control to Britain of its borders and could allow more chefs from Asia to come to this country.

http://bit.ly/1PDBe3h
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited October 2015
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

(George V) I said to your predecessor: 'You know what they're all saying, no more coals to Newcastle, no more Hoares to Paris.' The fellow didn't even laugh.

Said to Anthony Eden on 23 December 1935 following the furore that erupted over the Hoare-Laval Pact.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

Are the Cecil's still in business? I seem to remember that when the Hereditaries were to be slung out it would be the first time in 400 years that they would not have a least one member of the family in Parliament.

Personally I think the ability of the old families to survive and prosper is one of the glories of England. The Fitzalan-Howards being a very good example, not even having members executed for treason and their lands and titles seized (never mind inheritance tax) have stopped them from still being the biggest landowners in Sussex and still owning Arundel Castle. One can think of other families, of course, the Drax clan down in Dorset for example and there are new, modern, families building their own dynasty, e.g. the Wates of building company fame.

The trick, and the benefit to wider society, seems to be in regarding oneself as a steward with a duty to hand on to the next generation a concern in better shape than when one inherited it. Oh, and not to much inbreeding.
  • Options

I'm now officially endorsing Brexit

Quitting the EU could improve the chicken tikka masala served in Britain’s Indian restaurants, MPs claimed today.

Paul Scully, Tory MP for Sutton and Cheam, said that “Brexit” — a British exit from the European Union — would return control to Britain of its borders and could allow more chefs from Asia to come to this country.

http://bit.ly/1PDBe3h

Like Harper did, leaving the EU will give us the chance to select what sort of immigrants and skills we really need.

Although, I have to agree, i don't see why we can't train up more excellent curry chefs domestically.
  • Options

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.
    Quite probably I do. When I started work, in a summer job in 1992, I earned £1.50/hr. After university, I was unemployed for several short periods between temporary jobs and it took several years before I made it to something that might be considered a graduate position (admittedly, I handicapped myself by pursuing a political career at the same time). When I came off Bradford Council in 2003, I took about a 60% drop in income. Despite all that (or perhaps because of it), I saved what I could, when I could and paid my mortgage off in five years. I didn't have expensive holidays, I didn't have Sky TV, I didn't smoke or drink to excess and I didn't drive a big car (I had a Vauxhall Nova at the time).

As you say, a different world to a whole lot of people.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Well, it causes trouble for Cameron/Osborne.
    It is said that the Tory whips have a colour coded system for their MPs.

Blue for the loyal Tories who will vote with the Government, Green for the those that might rebel on a specific issue, and for David Davis, he has a colour all on his own, brown, for a shit who will always vote against the government.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Anyone who doesn't fix in today's climate is an idiot.

I'm on 1.89%+ Base + offset. 3% fixed for 10 years I assume comes with an arrangement fee though ?
  • Options

JEO said:

Really? Savers?
    No, it's a discipline.

Yeah?...well that £100 standing order has just been gobbled up by a £200 a month drop of family income from the Tax Credits cuts hasn't it...so what now when the unexpected comes up?
    Ah, you want to score political points. I see.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JohnO said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Mr. Herdson, quite.

(George V) I said to your predecessor: 'You know what they're all saying, no more coals to Newcastle, no more Hoares to Paris.' The fellow didn't even laugh.

Said to Anthony Eden on 23 December 1935 following the furore that erupted over the Hoare-Laval Pact.
    Nope: Viscount Templewood was not a cousin
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Ever since Cameron didn't give Davis his job back after that by election.
    That was such an idiotic move. Given how Dave runs his Cabinet (slow and steady) Davis could still be Home Sec today, resisting all of these illiberal moves that May is being spooked into by the Spooks.
  • Options

Thats good news then

The ridiculous thing about the NHS is how much it has failed to come up with solutions to stop the waits being ridiculously inconvenient to the consumer. If you have to wait a month for a consultant appointment or two weeks for a GP appointment, you need to have the flexibility of being able to change it easily, or to see cancellations at a glance, or to switch providers.

Yet getting an appointment generally means calling at a set time (usually the beginning of a workday), waiting for a long time in a queue. Equally, consultant appointments can only be arranged by your GP, often during a mess of a process where the GP surgery and the hospital talk to each other via faxes that get lost. It is also incredibly difficult to change GPs: you have to do it in person, during a certain window during the working week, and only to a handful in your catchment area. And working out which GP can best cope with demand is very difficult: the various rouses they use to prevent wait times appearing too long is by refusing to take appointments too far out, limiting when you call etc masks the picture.

The government really needs to force all surgeries to have electronic booking, abandon catchment areas, allow new sign-ups during most of the week, take all appointments and to publish their waiting times for making and attending an appointment.