Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study by John Curtice suggests that the referendum LEA

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    I think 'uncertainty within the EU' as opposed to outside of it will be a more powerful argument than people realise. There's an interesting Zero hedge article here about how TTIP is already being implemented before it's even been ratified:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-20/europe-secretly-starts-imposing-ttip-despite-public’s-overwhelming-opposition

'The terms of Obama’s proposed TPP ‘trade’ treaty with Asian countries won’t be made public until the treaty has already been in force for at least four years. The terms of Obama’s proposed TISA (Trade In Services Agreement) with 52 nations won’t be made public until the treaty has already been in force for at least five years. Obama’s proposed TTIP treaty with European countries has been so successfully hidden, that even the number of years it will be kept from the public isn’t yet known.'

There's a lot of ammo there to destroy the perception of 'remain' as the 'safe' option. There's also a lot of ammo to at least attempt to sell 'leave' to a left-leaning audience.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited October 2015

Mr. Eagles, today? Got a time?

Mr. Thompson, I wonder if we could see weird things in Scotland. SNP types might vote Out to try and trigger Referendum 2: Refer Harder, and unionists might vote In to stop that. Northern Ireland should vote In as a potential Scottish vote (and leaving the EU whilst the Republic remains) could be problematic.

This evening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11941398/Bank-of-England-Governor-Mark-Carney-to-intervene-in-Brexit-debate.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@dizzy_thinks: https://t.co/3LNL8g2yzW feel better now I got that off my chest

Well said!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Mark Carney is going to make an intervention on the Brexit debate

I reckon that might swing a not an insignificant amount of voters depending on what he says.

Lest we forget his contribution during the Indyref

Why is he speaking out now though? It is months, maybe years until the referendum. Maybe just getting it out of the way when it will have little impact?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I don't think Clare Foges likes Tom Watson very much http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11943887/Rape-suspects-deserve-anonymity-from-social-media-witch-hunts.html
    The principle of giving a voice to the vulnerable and abused against the high and mighty is right, of course – what is so revoltingly wrong is being able to wreck people’s lives and reputations without the evidence to back it up.

But for a tribal politician like Mr Watson what greater and more seductive defining mission could there be than bringing to book Thatcher-era Tories for sexual crimes? And so, in the case of Leon Brittan, he seized on the words of unreliable “witnesses”; took the word of a man who has since claimed he is “right up for witch-hunts” against Conservatives; smeared Brittan as being “as close to evil as any human being can get”; urged the Crown Prosecution Service to re-open a long-closed rape case; and pushed for the interrogation of a dying man.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Roger said:

"In general the younger and more middle class you are the greater the chance that you’ll be in the remain camp. Another big divider is education with graduates far more likely to want to stay in the EU. "

So it's 'OLD THICKOS FOR OUT'!. Needs a bit of polishing but there's a logo in there somewhere......

No one was born old. Perhaps having lived both outside the EU and inside the EU has something to do with it.

(Proud to be an OLD THICKO)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Cheers, Mr. Eagles.

Mr. 1983, I wonder if that might be more of a factor for leftwing voters.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

If the young and the bright want to stay in, should not the older generation think VERY carefully before voting to leave.

Re-inforces, as an OAP, my intention to vote to stay in.

If the mature and experienced want to leave should not the younger, inexperienced generation think VERY carefully before voting to stay in?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

Only a really second rate thinker (and that's being generous) would draw satisfaction from being in the 'got a degree innit' category of some spurious poll.

I am confident that leaving the EU is the right thing to do based on my assessment of the ample available evidence. I'm delighted that so many of Britain's blue collar workers share my view, but it doesn't influence me either way.

Do tell us the last time your assessment (of anything) was misguided. We're all agog...

I was misguided in my thoughts about the lack of a scientific case for the greenhouse effect. A PBer highlighted information that changed my views - it hasn't converted me to climate change alarmism, and indeed I feel the jury is still out on the effects of CO2 emissions, but I feel I have greater understanding of the subject now, and consequently my views are more nuanced. Things like that happen a lot - I'm always happy for new information to alter my perceptions.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Mr. Eagles, disagree. The Martin Freeman PPB approach will help Out, but In will need a more significant cock-up than that to give Out a serious chance.

If Out are serious, they need to recruit Blair and Miliband (for the In campaign), whilst locking Farage in a shed for the next few years.

I agree with this, Farage is way too divisive and an easy target for the Remain mob.

Eagles comment is I hope sarcasm, if not then it sums up the smug attitude of the likes of Blair and Mandelson. That would be great news for Out, as no-one trusts smug liars like those two.

Incidentally, why does every Remain scare story begin with a three? Three million jobs, £3,000 per household etc.

I think Out should counteract that with FREE.
    Three is a magic number. Wise Men etc.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Or the positive 'THE YOUNG THE BRIGHT THE THIN-VOTE IN'.

Again needs refining......
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, it's unlikely I'll be voting in.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Mr. Eagles, disagree. The Martin Freeman PPB approach will help Out, but In will need a more significant cock-up than that to give Out a serious chance.

If Out are serious, they need to recruit Blair and Miliband (for the In campaign), whilst locking Farage in a shed for the next few years.

I agree with this, Farage is way too divisive and an easy target for the Remain mob.

Eagles comment is I hope sarcasm, if not then it sums up the smug attitude of the likes of Blair and Mandelson. That would be great news for Out, as no-one trusts smug liars like those two.

Incidentally, why does every Remain scare story begin with a three? Three million jobs, £3,000 per household etc.

Three million immigrants
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

If the young and the bright want to stay in, should not the older generation think VERY carefully before voting to leave.

If the mature and experienced want to leave should not the younger, inexperienced generation think VERY carefully before voting to stay in?
    It depends. In my personal view as a young, metropolitan Conservative (since that seems to be the term used as abuse) ... on social issues the old are more likely to be stuck in the past and "wrong", but on economic issues the old are more likely to be experienced and "right".

So are the old wanting to leave for social or economic reasons?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,975

Mr. Isam, some of us are endowed with such commitment to F1, our very form becomes more aerodynamic.

Besides, my brain is too busy thinking important thoughts to waste energy maintaining a roof garden*.

*Women, of course, are capable of multi-tasking and therefore both thinking and having fine heads of hair at the same time.

Pah! That's nothing! I'm actually F1 engineered! :)

Doesn't make me run any faster (or at all) though.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    As a verified old sad thicko I will be voting out..just to get rid of the corruption that is the EU..
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    THE OLD THE THICK THE STOUT-VOTE OUT
    THE YOUNG THE BRIGHT THE THIN-VOTE IN

That's pretty inclusive for those who worry about that sort of thing
  • Options

weejonnie said:

It depends. In my personal view as a young, metropolitan Conservative (since that seems to be the term used as abuse) ... on social issues the old are more likely to be stuck in the past and "wrong", but on economic issues the old are more likely to be experienced and "right".

If you were a young metropolitan leftie you would think the old were "wrong" in both respects, but would have just elected a 67 year old as your leader in the teeth of belief.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it must be said my enhanced top speed is a theoretical improvement, given the fact I don't actually do any running...

Mr. Thompson, neither, I'd say. It's about sovereignty.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

If you were a young metropolitan leftie you would think the old were "wrong" in both respects, but would have just elected a 67 year old as your leader in the teeth of belief.
    Indeed. Thankfully I'm not an idiot so I'm right ;)
  • Options
    Offtopic - the attack ads on Trudeau are some of the most bizzare I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qKps7uG6eM

What on earth is with the clip showing him stripping off to his vest ?!
    Was it supposed to dissuade voters from voting for him ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Roger said:

Dear Roger

I am OLD. STOUT and BRIGHT

How should I vote?

Thanks
  • Options

Roger said:

Dear Roger

How should I vote?

Thanks
    At night.
  • Options

If the Three Wise Men are Blair, Mandelson and Rudd then Out will walk it!
  • Options

As a verified old sad thicko I will be voting out..just to get rid of the corruption that is the EU..

Indeed. Sadly the option that the majority of voters would support isn't available. Being in a non-fscked up EU with supremacy of UK law, control of their own borders (at least to the extent of controlling rate of immigration and being able to properly deport undesirables), and make our own trade deals without having to sit there watching Brussels kick the China FTA into the long grass.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2015
    @Roger

'So it's 'OLD THICKOS FOR OUT'!'

I thought you liked the EU ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Three is only a magic number when the other two are nymphomaniac Swedish twins.

I'm told.
  • Options
    Mr. England, Rudd? The Australian politician?
  • Options

Mr. England, Rudd? The Australian politician?

Roland, aptly named for a rat.
  • Options
    MD

"Mr. Roger, it's unlikely I'll be voting in."

I take it as a Morris dancer your figure is reasonably svelte? I said the lines needed working on....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

weejonnie said:

I don't know if it's social issues specifically relating to the EU - but on immigration I suspect the social side of things is an important driver. I myself am more concerned about the economics of the EU (and immigration). But if the oldies are voting the same way as me for a different reason, I really don't mind.
  • Options
    Mr. England, ah.

Mr. Roger, reasonably? If I were any svelter I'd probably be ill. Although, that said, I did weigh about 3st less when more or less the same height when I was 14-15. I was monumentally skinny then, though. Rib-viewing, spine-through-the-stomach-touching, skinny.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    I am not sure from the old, stout and not too poor breakaway group
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    BJO

"Dear Roger

How should I vote?

Thanks"

Dear BIG

Thanks for your enquiry

Unfortunately after this latest research from John Curtice our operators have been inundated. Your call is important to us though so please call again

Yours
  • Options
    isam said:
    We could save a lot of taxes if OFSTED just rated schools according to the pupils' parents' bank accounts.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    isam said:
    Why do they even bother?

The words 'not fit for purpose' spring to mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

isam said:
    We could save a lot of taxes if OFSTED just rated schools according to the pupils' parents' bank accounts.

We could save even more if we scrapped OFSTED. What's the point of their ratings system if this is how it's operated? Do they not think that parents in poorer areas have the right to know how good their schools are too, relative to those elsewhere?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well quite.

Rip it up and start again seems appropriate.

In other news WTF? Parents who tried to join Isis can keep their four children, judge rules http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law/article4591755.ece

Apparently, the parents have "put the incident behind them" well that's all right then.
    watford30 said:

isam said:

We could save even more if we scrapped OFSTED. What's the point of their ratings system if this is how it's operated?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited October 2015

If you wait a few hours - they normally have them on replay!

Very interesting but I’ve a Wine Tasting Club meeting this afternoon.

Choice, choices!

Wine just doesn't taste as good on replay.
  • Options
    isam said:
    I can see a justification in rating as "good" if challenging pupils are brought up to a better standard, but "excellent" or "outstanding" should mean great attainment.
  • Options
    I love David Cameron even more now

When David Cameron Asked Brian Blessed To A Government Meeting

David Cameron had a very special request, when he met Brian Blessed one time at 10 Downing Street...

http://mentalfloss.com/uk/entertainment/34732/when-david-cameron-asked-brian-blessed-to-a-government-meeting
  • Options

Well quite.

In other news WTF? Parents who tried to join Isis can keep their four children, judge rules http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/law/article4591755.ece

Apparently, the parents have "put the incident behind them" well that's all right then.

watford30 said:

isam said:

We could save even more if we scrapped OFSTED. What's the point of their ratings system if this is how it's operated?
    "Sir" James Munby doesn't live in the real world.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    isam said:
    Have any of your pupils run off to join a middle Eastern death cult this year?

No?

Excellent !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

isam said:

No?

Excellent !
    Only four?

Good!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Lady who's son went off to become a jihadi is on ITV now - she's very sympathetic. There's a docu about this too - well worth watching.

"The best thing about him is that he's gone [dead]."
  • Options
    :lol:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

No?

Excellent !
    Only four?

Good!
  • Options
    Crazy judgement.

They tried to make kids go to jihad
    I said no no no*

*when asked whether this was sufficient for the children to be removed from their care.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I've been reading Roy Jenkins' autobiography at odd moments - just got to the negotiations on the EMS (which led directly to the Euro). He says that it was Callaghan that blocked British entry, because of concerns that tying down our exchange rate would lead to difficulties in economic management down the line. Jenkins regrets Callaghan's "short-sightedness" and identifies the move towards a single currency as the greatest event of his Commissioner role: he assumes the reader agrees, and clearly doesn't feel he's saying anything about which there might be doubts.

Now, it's quite possible that if 20 years we'll see the single currency as a great achievement and the recent problems as a hiccup, or that it'll be seen as a disaster. But it's an example of how routine assumptions of accepted wisdom are sometimes unwise.
  • Options
    Getting in an Amy Winehouse meme too!

Crazy judgement.

They tried to make kids go to jihad
    I said no no no*

*when asked whether this was sufficient for the children to be removed from their care.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Well quite.

watford30 said:

isam said:

Don't knock him. Munby is one of the more interesting Family Court judges in that he is very much for opening up the system and having less secrecy, and believes that the rights of fathers are equally important.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well quite.

watford30 said:

isam said:

Don't knock him. Munby is one of the more interesting Family Court judges in that he is very much for opening up the system and having less secrecy, and believes that the rights of fathers are equally important.
    Just because you're right in one area doesn't make you right in all. I'd very much hope this decision would be appealed but I don't know if there's any recourse to that.
  • Options
    Yet another reason to wonder what the police and CPS are playing at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11944862/Mother-falsely-accused-of-having-sex-with-a-15-year-old-boy-was-branded-a-kiddie-fiddler.html
    “I was completely innocent but the people who need to be questioned are the ones who brought this case to trial. As far as I am concerned they are the real criminals.

“I faced a real prospect of going to jail for something I did not do.

“The police charged me with not one shred of evidence apart from this boy’s word.”
  • Options
    This could be interesting if Akrotiri becomes a refugee destination of choice...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34590635
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    The article by John Curtice seems entirely banal to me. Basically he has found that the view that most people have on the EU is determined by how it affects them. So those with a university level education are less threatened in the jobs market than those who have lower qualifications and are less concerned about the immigration of workers from other EU countries as a result.

Similarly, those who have been brought up in a multicultural and multiracial society and never known anything else are less concerned about it than older people who remember when society was more homogeneous and who find the change frightening.

It suggests to me that most peoples' views on leave and remain will be driven by the perceived advantages and disadvantages to them. This is actually not great news for the fanatics on each side who are much more interested in amorphous concepts like sovereignty and the supremacy of laws, issues to which I suspect the vast majority are totally indifferent.

The campaign that will be successful will be the campaign that can drag itself away from these interesting but theoretical concepts and make the issues real to those who will vote. So Out needs to explain how having eastern Europeans coming here to work might be good for the economy as a whole but it is seriously bad for those hoping to get employment in those trades. In needs to explain how the minimum standards necessary to underpin a common market have given and will continue to give actual concrete rights in the workplace.

The campaign that focuses most on the high faluting stuff will lose.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Oh look, that completely legal and not in any way dodgy tax structures that Starbucks use have just been ruled illegal.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/21/starbucks-and-fiat-tax-deals-with-eu-nations-ruled-unlawful
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Off-topic: F1 interested IT data management geeks might be a fairly small constituency even on here, but here goes anyway:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/20/lotus_f1_data_centre_and_telemetry/?page=1
  • Options
    The Speccy is having great fun with Shuymas Milne.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/back-in-the-ussr-jeremy-corbyn-hires-seumas-milne/
    But for the rest of us it is a moment of wondrous clarity. One of those times when you think, By Jove, he’s actually only gone and done it. Fair enough, perhaps. Nothing is too bonkers to be unthinkable these days. Life in Corbynvania will never be dull.

At the same time, appointing as your chief spin doctor – your principal conduit to the admirable rotters who constitute the parliamentary lobby – someone whose views are, if anything, even more extreme than your own modestly outlandish prejudices is, well, interesting. Also brave. Undoubtedly bold too.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Oh look, that completely legal and not in any way dodgy tax structures that Starbucks use have just been ruled illegal.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/21/starbucks-and-fiat-tax-deals-with-eu-nations-ruled-unlawful

State aid is a very specific objection (to a bespoke tax agreement rather than a tax regime) and not an entirely obvious one.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Alistair said:

The Netherlands and Luxembourg should also be fined. Tangentially related, I have no idea why we didn't insist Ireland harmonised it's corporation tax with us when we gave them that loan. As @Dair pointed out we had real, and rare, leverage on the matter at that point.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited October 2015
    "JonnyJimmy
    October 2014
    Patrick said:
    I'm guessing that immigrants at sea in the Med are not, in the first instance, going to land in the UK but Italy. So...for the UK to be spending money on helping them to make their trips safer is not easy to defend as value for UK taxpayer's money. The left is already getting all excited about this. I'm not sure I want my tax money spent helping immigrants sail to Italy.

Electorally I suspect Dave will benefit from this decision.
    What if they land here? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Base_Areas "
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/449631/#Comment_449631

Only took a year..

"Migrant crisis: Boats land at UK base RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus"
  • Options
    Mr. Rata, saw on Twitter today that a single race produces 150GB of data (per car, I think).
  • Options
    I know we can't expect blockbuster Select Committees like Batman & Yentob very often - but I do feel we're being wonderfully spoiled with yet another scheduled for this afternoon with Watson & Met.

If only we could enjoy more like these every week. There must be plenty of candidates infinitely more deserving of public opprobrium than the tepid stuff we normally see.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Pretty cool - it can DRIFT!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/11944933/Stanford-University-create-driverless-DeLorean-car-for-Back-To-The-Future-Day.html
    Stanford University create driverless DeLorean car for Back To The Future Day
    On Back To The Future Day, Stanford University have released a video of an autonomous DeLorean, called MARTY, which they have developed
  • Options
    edited October 2015

"JonnyJimmy
    October 2014

Patrick said:
    I'm guessing that immigrants at sea in the Med are not, in the first instance, going to land in the UK but Italy. So...for the UK to be spending money on helping them to make their trips safer is not easy to defend as value for UK taxpayer's money. The left is already getting all excited about this. I'm not sure I want my tax money spent helping immigrants sail to Italy.

Electorally I suspect Dave will benefit from this decision.
    What if they land here? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Base_Areas "
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/449631/#Comment_449631

Only took a year..

"Migrant crisis: Boats land at UK base RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus"

Legally if they've come straight from Syria then they're our responsibility (It is their first country of asylum seeking).

We should quietly knock the total that arrive on the island off of however many we're going to take and get cracking on giving back the territory to the Cypriots (whilst leasing the base and not owning the territory going forward). They may not want it back now however !

Looks to me to be our very own potential 'Lampedusa'.
  • Options
    Plato I guess all we will get from Watson will be prepared statements about how he was acting in the public interest... If he gets away with hat will depend on how many buddies are on the committee..
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, aye.

But we only have a little bit of the island, right?
  • Options
    Akrotiri .. I guess the locals like the money that the place generates..
  • Options
    Epic

It’s #TrafalgarDay! We’ll be tweeting ‘live’ news from the battle at the approx. times it happened 210 yrs ago… https://t.co/6bDIlRw1jM
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

The Speccy is having great fun with Shuymas Milne.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/back-in-the-ussr-jeremy-corbyn-hires-seumas-milne/

But for the rest of us it is a moment of wondrous clarity. One of those times when you think, By Jove, he’s actually only gone and done it. Fair enough, perhaps. Nothing is too bonkers to be unthinkable these days. Life in Corbynvania will never be dull.

At the same time, appointing as your chief spin doctor – your principal conduit to the admirable rotters who constitute the parliamentary lobby – someone whose views are, if anything, even more extreme than your own modestly outlandish prejudices is, well, interesting. Also brave. Undoubtedly bold too.

One also wonders whether he'll be temperamentally able to do the job. At some point, he and Corbyn will disagree on something (in all probability, on lots of things). The Chief Spin doctor's job is to have no personal views and to be the mouthpiece of the leader on behalf of the party. For someone who's been as vocal and outspoken as Milne, that's going to be quite an attitudinal leap.

If he can't do it - and one suspects he can't - there'll be all sorts of fun when Corbyn is repeatedly asked if he agrees with his official spokesman on this, that or t'other.
  • Options

Epic

It’s #TrafalgarDay! We’ll be tweeting ‘live’ news from the battle at the approx. times it happened 210 yrs ago… https://t.co/6bDIlRw1jM

The only stat you need to know:

Ships lost:
    French and Spanish fleet: 22
    British: 0
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    There are some great tweets on the #TralfalgarDay hashtag.

At least it's one way to get the unknowing youngster to learn about something so fab from our history!

Epic

The only stat you need to know:

Ships lost:
    French and Spanish fleet: 22
    British: 0
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/2015/10/21/3-million-jobs-myth-debunked-by-author/

Well that's one of the famous 'three' myths rubbished, time for the rest now.

As this campaign goes on and the reasons to remain are exposed as lies, vested interests and complete bollocks I genuinely think Out has a fair chance.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, aye.

Greece/Cyprus is in a far worse economic state than the UK. If I was fleeing Syria, and had the means I'd probably head for Akrotiri... you haven't passed through any previous 'safe' countries, so you're on a sound legal basis to apply for asylum in the UK. Whereas if you're in Calais - well that's very different.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm buying these

It’s #TrafalgarDay! Recreate Nelson’s battle orders-these magnets feature the famous signals https://t.co/cUL7eJUyNU https://t.co/XGZIsmqf0E

Nelson hoists famous signal: England expects that every man will do his duty #TrafalgarDay https://t.co/1KmP9MetIN https://t.co/857X6wlFJ5
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, on the other hand:

"A number of Iraqi Kurds landed at RAF Akrotiri in 1998 and still live in a second British base on Cyprus, Dhekelia, in former military accommodation.

They have tried to apply for asylum in the UK, but have been repeatedly turned down by the government."
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, aye.

Greece/Cyprus is in a far worse economic state than the UK. If I was fleeing Syria, and had the means I'd probably head for Akrotiri... you haven't passed through any previous 'safe' countries, so you're on a sound legal basis to apply for asylum in the UK. Whereas if you're in Calais - well that's very different.
    From the Beeb article I linked to -

"A number of Iraqi Kurds landed at RAF Akrotiri in 1998 and still live in a second British base on Cyprus, Dhekelia, in former military accommodation.
    They have tried to apply for asylum in the UK, but have been repeatedly turned down by the government."

I'd imagine this lot might have more luck..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,615

Plato I guess all we will get from Watson will be prepared statements about how he was acting in the public interest... If he gets away with hat will depend on how many buddies are on the committee..

And how assiduously Mr Vaz (then a local candidate) wishes to delve into the Elm Guest House....
  • Options
    As mentioned earlier, but up a piece with information about 3 forthcoming open windows with major publishers. So, if you have a completed SFF novel but no agent, give it a look:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/three-open-windows.html
  • Options
    Mr. Jimmy, I hope not.

But, as Mr. Pulpstar suggested, if so, that should be included in the 20,000 limit. We also ought to increase security to minimise the risk of it recurring.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Mr. Pulpstar, on the other hand:

Iraqi Kurds would have had to pass through Syria/Jordan/Lebanon, which at the time were safe countries.

A syrian refugee OTOH this time has to pass through no other countries to reach the base, it can be shown to be the first safe country. They have a very strong asylum case on us imo.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

Mr. Eagles, I'll try and remember that and tweet a link to this early 2015 post I wrote (2015 also being the anniversary of Waterloo):
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/2015-year-of-two-anniversaries.html

Edited extra bit: incidentally, I hope to put up a piece later today which may be of great interest to those who have a completed story in the sci-fi/fantasy [broad definition] genre.

I wrote a piece years ago saying that Waterloo in terms of our thrashings of the French was Primus inter pares simply because ABBA did a song about it.
    Oh, I don't know. Naming a major railway station with links to Channel Ports surely counts for more.

Didn't the French do something of the sort, with the Gare Austerlitz?
  • Options
    And we're off...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I've been reading Roy Jenkins' autobiography at odd moments - just got to the negotiations on the EMS (which led directly to the Euro). He says that it was Callaghan that blocked British entry, because of concerns that tying down our exchange rate would lead to difficulties in economic management down the line. Jenkins regrets Callaghan's "short-sightedness" and identifies the move towards a single currency as the greatest event of his Commissioner role: he assumes the reader agrees, and clearly doesn't feel he's saying anything about which there might be doubts.

Now, it's quite possible that if 20 years we'll see the single currency as a great achievement and the recent problems as a hiccup, or that it'll be seen as a disaster. But it's an example of how routine assumptions of accepted wisdom are sometimes unwise.

Considering what happened to Sterling between the late 70s and mid-80s (never mind later), one might have thought that Jenkins would have revised that opinion by the time he wrote it. The original Snake was blown out of the water by the oil price shocks in the early 70s, and the violent currency swings that went with them; Britain's own oil-related appreciation should have been foreseeable, even if the interest rate-related changes weren't at the time.

In any case, while the EMS was a step on the road to EMU, the former didn't directly lead to the latter; it needed the Maastricht Treaty to complete that journey.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,975

Mr. Rata, saw on Twitter today that a single race produces 150GB of data (per car, I think).

That's teeny. A mate works for one of the major research organisations into human genome mapping, and the amount of data they produce daily is truly humongous.
    The design has proved highly successful and today far exceeds its original design capacity. We now have 17,000 cores of compute predominantly in blade format, and approximately 40 petabytes of raw storage capacity (25 PB usable); four times the density of equipment for which it was designed.
    https://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/technologies/it.html

(A petabyte is 1,000 terabytes, which is 1,000 GB)

But that's nothing compared to the amount of data that'll be produced by the SKA when that project starts on anger. It might be in the order of an exabyte, or 1,000 petabytes, each day.

This might be more than the entirety of all the data on the Internet ...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Corbyn appears to have his tie on back to front.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Why does the UK need to have a steel industry? It will sadly never be said, but does it actually make sense for us to be making metal when it can be bought so cheaply elsewhere.....
  • Options
    Where's his nice suit gone? He's back to the weird, badly fitting beige one with the puckered shoulder.
    chestnut said:

Corbyn appears to have his tie on back to front.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Corbyn has forgotten his e-mailers and is bumbling along like a lost soul. Oh wait; Luey has called!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    oh dear - good topic on Steel and then all of a sudden to disabilities right back in his N1 comfort zone.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, blimey.

That's a lot of floppies.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Cameron best when he is a little annoyed - great response on disabilities there...
  • Options

That's teeny. A mate works for one of the major research organisations into human genome mapping, and the amount of data they produce daily is truly humongous.
    The design has proved highly successful and today far exceeds its original design capacity. We now have 17,000 cores of compute predominantly in blade format, and approximately 40 petabytes of raw storage capacity (25 PB usable); four times the density of equipment for which it was designed.
    https://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/technologies/it.html

(A petabyte is 1,000 terabytes, which is 1,000 GB)

But that's nothing compared to the amount of data that'll be produced by the SKA when that project starts on anger. It might be in the order of an exabyte, or 1,000 petabytes, each day.

This might be more than the entirety of all the data on the Internet ...

The SKA needs to be pointed straight at
    -> http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Pulpstar/media/exocomets 1st guess.jpg.html

:D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

As mentioned earlier, but up a piece with information about 3 forthcoming open windows with major publishers. So, if you have a completed SFF novel but no agent, give it a look:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/three-open-windows.html

You mean my 300,000 word (trimmed down from 400,000), part 1 of 5, epic fantasy tale has a slim slim hope of seeing the light of day?

I think I'm right in saying such large submissions, from first times, almost always go straight in the bin, not without cause - that's a big gamble to take on.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Corbyn raised the right issues, but struggled to articulate them
  • Options
    Cameron slapped him down on disabilities re the UN.

I wish it was politically possible to say steel in the UK is a dead duck business in the main. But it isn't.

Corbyn over - thought he was better at follow ups this time but still batted away.
    TOPPING said:

oh dear - good topic on Steel and then all of a sudden to disabilities right back in his N1 comfort zone.