Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study by John Curtice suggests that the referendum LEA

13»

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Corbyn raised the right issues, but struggled to articulate them

yes and flitting around from Kev, to Louey, to whatnot robs him of the accumulated effect that even EdM was able to create.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Cameron slapped him down on disabilities re the UN.

I wish it was politically possible to say steel in the UK is a dead duck business in the main. But it isn't.

Corbyn over - thought he was better at follow ups this time but still batted away.

TOPPING said:

oh dear - good topic on Steel and then all of a sudden to disabilities right back in his N1 comfort zone.

Mild steel is dead. Stainless isn't quite.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I noticed he hasn't mentioned how many zillions have emailed him today - and AN Other asked XYZ was limited to two or three examples.

Given that crowd sourced questions from Labour activists should be razor sharp - it was a poor turn out re content.
    TOPPING said:

yes and flitting around from Kev, to Louey, to whatnot robs him of the accumulated effect that even EdM was able to create.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Corbyn's approach still allows Cameron to give a party political broadcast. He hasn't landed a blow yet in three outings.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. kle4, even from successful chaps, you'd need a huge number of sales to get that released as a single volume.

Being serious [unsure whether you're being silly or serious], I'd cut it in two uneven halves and make the first something like 110-120,000, which you might get away with.

The Stormlight Archive is the most obvious exception (Words of Radiance has over a thousand pages), but Brandon Sanderson is both a writing machine and a huge success.

The size of fantasy is actually getting smaller (80-100,000 is pretty usual), and the myth of massiveness is just that. There are exceptions, but by and large fantasy books aren't mighty tomes.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Someone mentioned on FPT that the new Forth bridge isn't using British steel - as the variety isn't made here.

My knowledge of steel mnf is near zero - but it we can't successfully make steel suitable to build a bridge, that feels like a non-starter for the industry.
    Pulpstar said:

I wish it was politically possible to say steel in the UK is a dead duck business in the main. But it isn't.

Corbyn over - thought he was better at follow ups this time but still batted away.

TOPPING said:

oh dear - good topic on Steel and then all of a sudden to disabilities right back in his N1 comfort zone.

• Options

Someone mentioned on FPT that the new Forth bridge isn't using British steel - as the variety isn't made here.

My knowledge of steel mnf is near zero - but it we can't successfully make steel suitable to build a bridge, that feels like a non-starter for the industry.

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

It's a global commodity, I think we bought in Italian steel most recently.
  • Options
    "The LotO should get back in his De Lorean, go back to 1985 and stay there"

Corbyn's approach still allows Cameron to give a party political broadcast. He hasn't landed a blow yet in three outings.
  • Options
    Does Angus Robertson have a right to a question?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2015
    Rosindell raises the issue of a 'huge increase' in the birth rate.

Where, and to whom, is this happening?

Are they all getting tax credits?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Who's the Whining Scot?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited October 2015

Mr. kle4, even from successful chaps, you'd need a huge number of sales to get that released as a single volume.

Being serious [unsure whether you're being silly or serious], I'd cut it in two uneven halves and make the first something like 110-120,000, which you might get away with.

The Stormlight Archive is the most obvious exception (Words of Radiance has over a thousand pages), but Brandon Sanderson is both a writing machine and a huge success.

The size of fantasy is actually getting smaller (80-100,000 is pretty usual), and the myth of massiveness is just that. There are exceptions, but by and large fantasy books aren't mighty tomes.

Sadly true from my perspective - the terrible thing is, like all aspiring writers, I started out aiming for a trilogy and expanded to a planned 5. Book 1 is already only the halfway point of what was intended to be the first book! I don't blame anyone for not taking a chance on that, it's just not done much, certainly anymore, even if it was the greatest fantasy novel of all time (which seems unlikely, to put it mildly)

I feel I'm getting a bit better though - I'd let that series effort slip for several years and went back to it recently for Book 2, and have already managed to cut something like 1/3 of what I'd written as needless, and that before pruning unnecessary sub plots and the like. It's still prohibitively large to ever get a publisher, for a first timer (and even people wih large first books like Raymond E Feist learned thereafter to stick to more managable length), but it shows progress.

I'm definitely in the Robert Jordan/ Brandon Sanderson length type category, though if I have even a fraction of their talents I would count that a great honour.
  • Options

I noticed he hasn't mentioned how many zillions have emailed him today - and AN Other asked XYZ was limited to two or three examples.

Given that crowd sourced questions from Labour activists should be razor sharp - it was a poor turn out re content.

TOPPING said:

yes because at some point the LotO is going to show that he believes in something, passionately, himself. Not just that he is a(n ineffective) conduit for disgruntled Lab members.
  • Options
    Suella Fernandes is pretty effective for her first question at PMQs. New Tory MP for Fareham if I caught the caption.
  • Options
    Hearing rumours that Garry Monk might be going.

Can get 40/1 with Paddy Power
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

I asked the PB intelligentsia this a few weeks ago: there are many different types of steel nowadays with different element additives: how easy or possible is it to swap a foundry between the different types of steel. Or once they're started with a certain type of steel, is that it?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    The Moggster gives excellent value for money.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

There will probably never be a fantasy series as long as "The Wheel of Time" (14 vols). However the "Stormlight Archives" aim to be a set of 10 vols. Brandon Sanderson proposes to write the first 5 vols by 2018. Well he's taking his bloody time, being diverted by the Mistborn spin-offs.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

The Moggster gives excellent value for money.

harking back to an altogether less ghastly era

• Options

Hearing rumours that Garry Monk might be going.

Can get 40/1 with Paddy Power

Down to 25-1. I figure he'll keep shorting every 20 seconds though, so got my £5.51 on.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

There will probably never be a fantasy series as long as "The Wheel of Time" (14 vols). However the "Stormlight Archives" aim to be a set of 10 vols. Brandon Sanderson proposes to write the first 5 vols by 2018. Well he's taking his bloody time, being diverted by the Mistborn spin-offs.
    I think GRRM's delays give cover to every other writer in the genre who gets diverted or delayed, as they can point to him as a defence.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

@neiledwardlovat: Scotland couldn't supply steel for the Forth crossing. Salmond told me so……. oh….

https://t.co/1bcbyKtNmQ
  • Options
    It may be my imagination - but Cameron seems to be a lot more straight shooting when it comes down to victimhooding. He's done it at least twice today so far.
  • Options
    Finally Dave at least hints at the reality of steel manufacture.

I wonder if Lab fighting for this will come to be seen in similar terms as their previous struggle for the right for 17-yr olds to go down the mines.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It may be my imagination - but Cameron seems to be a lot more straight shooting when it comes down to victimhooding. He's done it at least twice today so far.

"We have had 20 years of Tax Credits. They don't work..."
  • Options
    Yowzer - that was a zinger from Cameron aimed right at Labour on steel
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, generally speaking, the ability to cull your own work ruthlessly is of critical importance. Stop expanding your writing. Get rid of the fluff.

You may benefit from a vicious beta-reader or an editor.

Mr. K, Sanderson's prolific, and on target.

Isn't Erikson's series (name escapes me, first book is Gardens of the Moon) enormous?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I think GRRM's delays give cover to every other writer in the genre who gets diverted or delayed, as they can point to him as a defence.
    Martin is a bloody lazy git who is always letting his fans down. Who knows when the "Winds of Winter", will blow - if ever?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/656599807654535168

Corbyn appoints known communist to help him rule.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, generally speaking, the ability to cull your own work ruthlessly is of critical importance. Stop expanding your writing. Get rid of the fluff.

Isn't Erikson's series (name escapes me, first book is Gardens of the Moon) enormous?

Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - even the name of the series is bloated. Very good though.

I do confess to feeling some satisfaction at now feeling able to cull what I consider to be good but superfluous details. I still like the writing, but recognise no-one wants or needs to see a 25,000 word sequence (spread out over a couple of scenes, in fairness!) of the intricacies of constitutional settlement negotiations in a fantasy novel.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    I'd have a little more time for Labour's whining over steel closures if they'd made similar noise when speciality steel companies such as the excellent Butterley (responsible for both the Falkirk Wheel and the St Pancras Trainshed) closed.

Of course, that might be because it closed down whilst they were in power.

RIP Butterley. Over 200 years of excellence destroyed by Labour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterley_Company
  • Options

Suella Fernandes is pretty effective for her first question at PMQs. New Tory MP for Fareham if I caught the caption.

She's definitely one to watch - I was delighted when she got that safe seat. She's also extremely nice.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD _ I'm DELIGHTED to say.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, indeed. Lord of the Rings, apparently, has two pages devoted to describing the plants in Helm's Deep. Just one of many reasons The Silmarillion is better.
  • Options

Erikson's Malazan series first 5 books were good. After that he lost his way; well he lost me , although the last book "The Crippled God" was not bad and was readable.