Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn had Cameron struggling on tax credits at PMQs – but

124»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited October 2015
    Biden not running... by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    TBH, he was only questioned about one bit of his witch-finding.

DCI Settle killed him. Watson just sat tight.
    isam said:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

To be fair Mr D, whatever someone called Tim does, you're not going to like it!

A party with 8 MPs is planning to overturn the will of the Commons.

Well, it's an idea...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Apologies if I've missed this..... PB or a Wine Appreciation Group..... no contest...... but I see we've a by-election coming in in Olda.

RIP MIchael Meacher. Seemed like an honest man.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Why has Watson adopted his little boy lost voice..everybody knows he is a bruiser..what a tosser
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 5s5 seconds ago
    Biden bottles it. Such a shame.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 32s32 seconds ago
    Joe Biden decides not to run for president.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Commiserations for the family and friends of Micheal Meacher.

Labour will win the by-election, I don't think Galloway will stand there if he doesn't end up the Labour candidate himself, he's a Corbyn supporter and he won't stab him in the back.
  • Options
    Alison Saunders DPP is coming across incredibly well - straight, factual, human and honest. I'm full of confidence after her evidence.

A real breath of fresh air after Starmer's grandstanding and press conferences.
  • Options
    Biden's lost me £10, never mind!

• Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 32s32 seconds ago
    Joe Biden decides not to run for president.

He practically had until the end of November to decide, realistically though by missing the debate he was sidelined.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

When Galloway won in Bradford, it was with a lot of support from ex-Tory voters who were disillusioned with the Conservatives, wanted to give Labour a bloody nose and didn't care too much about how to do it. They returned home this year. If Galloway did stand then I don't see anything like that kind of split. Either he'll make little impact and it's something close to an 'as normal' by-election, or he does and sweeps up all the rest of the anti-Labour votes. UKIP and Galloway won't both take a quarter of the vote.

Yes, I remember pbTories rooting for Galloway. I wouldn't have thought he'd be an obvious challenger in the current climate.
  • Options
    It was laughable, no one with an ounce of sense would be taken in by that performance.

Why has Watson adopted his little boy lost voice..everybody knows he is a bruiser..what a tosser

• Options
    Who? They're not PB Tories I can think of.

When Galloway won in Bradford, it was with a lot of support from ex-Tory voters who were disillusioned with the Conservatives, wanted to give Labour a bloody nose and didn't care too much about how to do it. They returned home this year. If Galloway did stand then I don't see anything like that kind of split. Either he'll make little impact and it's something close to an 'as normal' by-election, or he does and sweeps up all the rest of the anti-Labour votes. UKIP and Galloway won't both take a quarter of the vote.

Yes, I remember pbTories rooting for Galloway. I wouldn't have thought he'd be an obvious challenger in the current climate.
  • Options

If Galloway runs he will probably run only as a Labour candidate with Corbyn's blessing, it won't alter the balance in the PLP if Galloway returns to the fold since Meacher was a Corbynite too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    There is some 1.24 up on Betfair for Hilary Clinton, which I think given Biden is now out is very good value.
  • Options
    And it is GONE !
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who? They're not PB Tories I can think of.

Maybe the ones who backed him at long odds
  • Options

Tom Watson's "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" routine, is what he does best. As I've said previously, if you don't follow politics and don't know anything about this character, you would think he seems okay. But I suspect if the Unite Union has it's way, you are looking at the next leader of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Delighted he won the vote, not what The Mirror are trying to spin it as.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. 30, the Mirror, try and spin something against the Conservatives? Surely not!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

MaxPB said:

I don't disagree with a lot of that, but I don't see any mileage in buying in technology that is well past it for such a huge amount of money. We should be investing in CCGTs today and researching new technologies for tomorrow. Today and for the foreseeable future CCGTs are more stable, cheaper and less risky than PWRs, plus it won't involve us whoring ourselves out to the Chinese.

Tidal has a lot to prove but certain projects may be viable, barrages are more likely than lagoons though IMO. The Incheon lagoon is an interesting one and we should let the Koreans have a stab at it instead of going ahead with Swansea and finding we are not able to deal with the corrosion and maintenance issues.

As for HS2, as you know my issue is with scope and ambition. The current proposals are inadequate in both respects. For example, we have 8 TBMs from the Crossrail project and the crown owns all underground assets. Why are we not doing the whole of HS2 underground where noise, bridges and land purchases are no longer an issue. The scope is also far too narrow, why are we spending billions on electrifying the GWML when we should be looking at high speed rail, again underground, from London to Swansea and from Swansea to Birmingham via Cardiff. If we are going to do this, we should do it once and do it right. We did 26 miles of tunneling for Crossrail, London to Birmingha, is about 100 miles as the crow flies, add about 20 for additional stops and detours, it must be possible to make it happen, what we lack is not technical ability, but ambition.

That's quite a staggering proposal, and one I haven't seen seriously proposed before. The cost of tunnelling is massive, and very much depends on ground conditions. Also, what are your plans for the city-centre termini, where costs multiply massively and room (particularly in London) is limited?

The following might be of interest:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/434516/HS2_Guide_to_Tunnelling_Costs.pdf
    Mr. Jessop, taking the figures from the report you quoted the cost of driving a tunnel from London to Birmingham would be about £53million per mile, or in round figures £5.3 billion. That doesn't sound too bad to me. The additional costs of building the stations would be offset by not having to purchase land.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,977
    Golf appears to be a rather expensive sport ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-34591272
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, madder than a mongoose wearing a fez.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    watford30 said:

Same thing
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    watford30 said:

I don't think Cameron can really complain about being taken out of context.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Does anyone who reads the mirror actually know what being "out of context" means...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

One thing I don;t understand is why Wind energy cannot be 'saved' ie stored in batteries or the like to make its usage more reliable.

The capital cost of batteries is huge and they only have a certain number of cycles before they need to be replaced.
    There is another option, which is using the excess power from periods of high wind to pull CO2 out of the air and make fuel. This could then somehow be used to even out supply.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

watford30 said:

Good one

Right wing press always use context!!
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

I wonder how Labour will go about candidate selection.

Better call Len..
    The idea that Karie Murphy could be Labour candidate in the byelection is rather appetising.
  • Options
    Junior doctors to vote on strike action:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34591056

Think that'd be a mistake, and lose them a great deal of public sympathy.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Does anyone who buys the Mirror actually ...read..
  • Options

Does anyone who reads the mirror actually know what being "out of context" means...

Sun,Mail,Express reader do I suppose
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Alistair said:

watford30 said:

Quite.

• Options
    Network Rail not covering themselves in glory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34594599

Cost over runs or were they just unrealistic in the first place?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    When you are guilty of industrial levels of phone hacking, you have to generate turnover somehow to pay for it.
  • Options
    BJO I doubt that ..for all three of them..
  • Options

Junior doctors to vote on strike action:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34591056

Think that'd be a mistake, and lose them a great deal of public sympathy.

You think the Government treatment of Doctors might lose them sympathy too?

I reckon the proposed Doctors contract amendments will make a serious problem with the shortage of Doctors significantly worse.
  • Options
    I'd no idea what a comic the Mirror was until I came across a dozen copies at my local takeaway.

I read a few and it made the Daily Star look almost sensible. As a long standing Sun reader, I was shocked at how dumbed it was.

Mr. 30, the Mirror, try and spin something against the Conservatives? Surely not!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If they make them tradeable debentures that might be reasonable. But I'm not sure what rights you could sell to Wentworth, while the Albert Hall (where there is a healthy market) gives you free tickets to most (non reserved) events

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/aug/15/investing-debentures-good-idea
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. Owls, it might, but if the doctors strike then the focus (and outrage) will be on the absence or limited supply of medical care. It will be played out as doctors caring more about their contracts/themselves than their patients. And that won't help them win the argument.

Edited extra bit: minor change to perform a tautolectomy.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,977

MaxPB said:

I don't disagree with a lot of that, but I don't see any mileage in buying in technology that is well past it for such a huge amount of money. We should be investing in CCGTs today and researching new technologies for tomorrow. Today and for the foreseeable future CCGTs are more stable, cheaper and less risky than PWRs, plus it won't involve us whoring ourselves out to the Chinese.

Tidal has a lot to prove but certain projects may be viable, barrages are more likely than lagoons though IMO. The Incheon lagoon is an interesting one and we should let the Koreans have a stab at it instead of going ahead with Swansea and finding we are not able to deal with the corrosion and maintenance issues.

As for HS2, as you know my issue is with scope and ambition. The current proposals are inadequate in both respects. For example, we have 8 TBMs from the Crossrail project and the crown owns all underground assets. Why are we not doing the whole of HS2 underground where noise, bridges and land purchases are no longer an issue. The scope is also far too narrow, why are we spending billions on electrifying the GWML when we should be looking at high speed rail, again underground, from London to Swansea and from Swansea to Birmingham via Cardiff. If we are going to do this, we should do it once and do it right. We did 26 miles of tunneling for Crossrail, London to Birmingha, is about 100 miles as the crow flies, add about 20 for additional stops and detours, it must be possible to make it happen, what we lack is not technical ability, but ambition.

That's quite a staggering proposal, and one I haven't seen seriously proposed before. The cost of tunnelling is massive, and very much depends on ground conditions. Also, what are your plans for the city-centre termini, where costs multiply massively and room (particularly in London) is limited?

The following might be of interest:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/434516/HS2_Guide_to_Tunnelling_Costs.pdf
    Mr. Jessop, taking the figures from the report you quoted the cost of driving a tunnel from London to Birmingham would be about £53million per mile, or in round figures £5.3 billion. That doesn't sound too bad to me. The additional costs of building the stations would be offset by not having to purchase land.
    Without getting too boring, I think (I'd have to check) that the figures given in that report are for single bores; not the twin bores required for two running lines, so may have to be doubled.

HS2 Phase 1 is also over 200 km in length (220km from memory).

I'm also far from sure the cost of land not purchased would offset the cost of building stations ...
  • Options

As a long standing Sun reader...

Shocked, I tell you! Shocked! :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Biden's lost me £10, never mind!

There was a nice Sanders - Clinton dutch up on Betfair for a bit. Think the prices are correct again now though.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Queenwood is more expensive!
  • Options
    Junior Docs need to get a sense of reality..If you don't want the job then move on.. next..
  • Options

BJO I doubt that ..for all three of them..

LOLs
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    New thread.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Offtopic but tech related - Has anyone hired a cab through Uber which has turned out to be a Tesla in "autopilot" mode yet :D ?
  • Options

Junior Docs need to get a sense of reality..If you don't want the job then move on.. next..

Some will, where do you think the replacements will magically appear from.

Ones willing to take on A&E are already rarer than Rocking Horse Sh*t

The NHS cannot afford to lose anymore right now.