Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Oldham West & Royton set to be Corbyn’s first big electoral

13»

Comments

• Options
    Simple question - why does the state give tax relief on pension contributions?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    Sorry to be boringly consensual, but (barring any Galloway-style wild card) I can't see anything other than a comfy Labour hold here, UKIP in a good second place, the Conservatives a poor but not derisory third, and the LibDems worried about losing their deposit. The seat seems very similar in many ways to Heywood and Middleton, but with a much larger Asian population which must surely mean it's a lot safer for Labour.

I'd disagree with Mike on LibDem strategy here - I think Farron should stay well away and the LibDems should make no effort. They should avoid putting resources and political capital into no-hopers, and instead conserve their forces in the hope that a nice juicy Con-LD by-election comes up.
  • Options

So you don't get taxed twice on the same income.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Sandpit, Newsnight has a reputation for dropping even potentially contentious matters.

Ahem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TKA What's your issue with Workie :D ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhOp8BJa2hk

Dood old Workie...forcing you boss to chip in his employees piss-away fund...oh, and let's get Joe Tax Payer to chip in too
    Kracken, you remind me of a typical lefty who pisses it up against a wall during his/her working life and then whines about the pension the state provides.

I have saved VERY hard for my retirement and will not be a burden to the taxpayer in retirement ) so I reckon after foregoing a lot during my working life, If I want to buy a sports car (which I have on a PCP) , why shouldn't I. (and the Govt got 20% of the cost in VAT )

The left always want to control other peoples money and stop them from doing things.
    Me too...I have a pension fund and it's for my retirement...I receive tax relief on it because it will relieve the state of me burdening them in my old age because i pissed it away at 56.
    Tax relief should be provided for retirement funds - it absolutely should not be provided for sports car funds, pissing-away funds...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited October 2015

You make my point nicely Malcolm.

Your dichotomy is this: if the English were to vote on Scots independence you'd be gone in an instant, unfortunately for us too many of your countrymen realised they were better off suckling on our teats.

I have very little interest in your teats, but perhaps you could provide some evidence for the massive English support for Scottish independence?
    I live in England

So none then?
    Fair enough.
    I can't ever remember talking to anybody that was pleased the Scots voted to remain.

I'm not sure how you think the majority of people in England view Sturgeon, Salmond et al but it was very disappointing when you voted to keep your hands in the till.

We're stuck with you I'm afraid to say

It sounds like you only talk to people who think like you.

'A YouGov survey conducted in April 2014 found that although clear majorities of English (59% – 19%) and Welsh (61% – 19%) voters were opposed to Scottish independence, the majority of English voters (56%) and a plurality of Welsh voters (48%) supported cutting the amount of public spending in Scotland.'

http://tinyurl.com/mv6bqke

Strange that you support a party that is dedicated to keeping Scotland 'stuck' to you.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Tea. Pak 178/3. Back to work!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dood old Workie...forcing you boss to chip in his employees piss-away fund...oh, and let's get Joe Tax Payer to chip in too
    Kracken, you remind me of a typical lefty who pisses it up against a wall during his/her working life and then whines about the pension the state provides.

I have saved VERY hard for my retirement and will not be a burden to the taxpayer in retirement ) so I reckon after foregoing a lot during my working life, If I want to buy a sports car (which I have on a PCP) , why shouldn't I. (and the Govt got 20% of the cost in VAT )

The left always want to control other peoples money and stop them from doing things.
    Me too...I have a pension fund and it's for my retirement...I receive tax relief on it because it will relieve the state of me burdening them in my old age because i pissed it away at 56.
    Tax relief should be provided for retirement funds - it absolutely should not be provided for sports car funds, pissing-away funds...
    You do realise that if you take out the dosh and spend it on a sports car it is (apart from the 25% tax-free allowance) taxed at your highest rate, do you? Which is why almost no-one does anything of the sort.
  • Options

What ?? It's an incentive for individuals to save for their retirement
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

You don't receive tax relief on it. You receive a tax deferral.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited October 2015

Your dichotomy is this: if the English were to vote on Scots independence you'd be gone in an instant, unfortunately for us too many of your countrymen realised they were better off suckling on our teats.

I have very little interest in your teats, but perhaps you could provide some evidence for the massive English support for Scottish independence?
    I live in England

So none then?
    Fair enough.
    I can't ever remember talking to anybody that was pleased the Scots voted to remain.

I'm not sure how you think the majority of people in England view Sturgeon, Salmond et al but it was very disappointing when you voted to keep your hands in the till.

It sounds like you only talk to people that think like you.

'A YouGov survey conducted in April 2014 found that although clear majorities of English (59% – 19%) and Welsh (61% – 19%) voters were opposed to Scottish independence, the majority of English voters (56%) and a plurality of Welsh voters (48%) supported cutting the amount of public spending in Scotland.'

Strange that you support a party that is dedicated to keeping Scotland 'stuck' to you.
    I would have thought the party of David Coburn was doing its very best to ensure an independent Scotland.

Honestly, on David Coburn's deathbed he's going to admit to being a Scot Nat plant.
  • Options

What ?? It's an incentive for individuals to save for their retirement
    Yes, exactly. If they thought they were going to be taxed twice on the same income they would have a massive disincentive to save.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

I live in England

So none then?
    Fair enough.

We don’t often discuss politics in my usual watering hole but we did the other day and somewhat to my surprise there was a fair amount of hostility towards Ms Sturgeon here in N Essex.
  • Options

I'm always amazed these places are vacant/abandoned in such postcodes.

Paradise lost and found: Fascinating pictures inside the crumbling manor house that was once home to epic poet John Milton

Berkyn Manor in Horton, Slough, has been a family home for 450 years - once to Paradise Lost poet John Milton
    It has been lying empty since 1987, and has succumbed to damage beyond repair by nearly three decades of neglect
    Haunting images taken inside show the dilapidated interior, where age old possessions have been lost in time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3284238/Paradise-lost-Fascinating-pictures-inside-crumbling-manor-house-home-epic-poet-John-Milton.html#ixzz3pI5cwHuv

I did like this line from the article!

Mr Raynor, who died just four years short of 100, left behind all of his possessions
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Pulpstar said:

So you want a law to stop people buying drink or cars with their retirementt pensions. I'll be a stormer wording it legally and terribly popular with the voters
  • Options
    Best wishes to BJO and family.

What a ***ty year. Poor sods.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    edited October 2015
    RN - A Con - LD by-election, like Richmond Park perhaps? First chance for a Farron bounce back.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I find old stately homes really intriguing when they've been left to rot - we had Otham Court - a medieval manor down the lane from me - it's gorgeous, totally secluded and bought by Dire Straits band bloke for millions, then sold on to someone who couldn't afford the upkeep and started to wither.

I find it baffling that prime properties like this just fade here in the SE.
    geoffw said:

You have to wonder how Milton bashed out Paradise Lost on a typewriter like that.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MaxPB said:

Paradise lost and found: Fascinating pictures inside the crumbling manor house that was once home to epic poet John Milton

Berkyn Manor in Horton, Slough, has been a family home for 450 years - once to Paradise Lost poet John Milton
    It has been lying empty since 1987, and has succumbed to damage beyond repair by nearly three decades of neglect
    Haunting images taken inside show the dilapidated interior, where age old possessions have been lost in time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3284238/Paradise-lost-Fascinating-pictures-inside-crumbling-manor-house-home-epic-poet-John-Milton.html#ixzz3pI5cwHuv

I do wonder how much it would cost to buy that Manor and get it back into a liveable condition.

A huge amount. We had a neighbour who bought a house untouched since the 60's. By the time they had upgraded the roof, electrics, plumbing, added a conservatory etc etc, the builder told me they could have demolished it, rebuilt a fantastic modern house to their own spec, which would have been greener, cheaper to run - and have have cost them significantly less overall.

And that is before the Listed Building bods start saying what has to be replaced to what standard...
  • Options

I live in England

So none then?
    Fair enough.

I would have thought the party of David Coburn was doing its very best to ensure an independent Scotland.

Honestly, on David Coburn's deathbed he's going to admit to being a Scot Nat plant.
    The weird thing is that he's not just a one-off, more than a few Scottish Kippers are similarly 'interesting'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I do wonder how much it would cost to buy that Manor and get it back into a liveable condition.

Not much given it is 1km from the end of Heathrow runways...
  • Options
    It doesn't even have the fun of Old & Sad following Make Whities Angry intrigue.

Sorry to be boringly consensual, but (barring any Galloway-style wild card) I can't see anything other than a comfy Labour hold here, UKIP in a good second place, the Conservatives a poor but not derisory third, and the LibDems worried about losing their deposit. The seat seems very similar in many ways to Heywood and Middleton, but with a much larger Asian population which must surely mean it's a lot safer for Labour.

I'd disagree with Mike on LibDem strategy here - I think Farron should stay well away and the LibDems should make no effort. They should avoid putting resources and political capital into no-hopers, and instead conserve their forces in the hope that a nice juicy Con-LD by-election comes up.

• Options

RN - A Con - LD by-election, like Richmond Park perhaps? First chance for a Farron bounce back.

Yes, although Richmond Park is a bit of a special case, because Heathrow would be the dominant issue and so a lot would depend on the position of the individual candidates on that. It certainly could be an opportunity for the LibDems.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2015

MaxPB said:

A huge amount. We had a neighbour who bought a house untouched since the 60's. By the time they had upgraded the roof, electrics, plumbing, added a conservatory etc etc, the builder told me they could have demolished it, rebuilt a fantastic modern house to their own spec, which would have been greener, cheaper to run - and have have cost them significantly less overall.

And that is before the Listed Building bods start saying what has to be replaced to what standard...

Don't bother with that particular house. It's slap bang underneath every other aircraft climbing west out of Heathrow, engines at full chat, with active farm buildings next door. Not the greatest area either.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    @Thekrakenawakes What are you wanting to stop/propose here ?

That people don't spend half their retirement pot on a new sports car.

Certainly so far as investments go it probably wouldn't be wise in most people's cases... , but you only live once and it is your money, your choice.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

So you want a law to stop people buying drink or cars with their retirementt pensions. I'll be a stormer wording it legally and terribly popular with the voters
    The key word there is "retirement" - we are talking about pension funds being stripped out at 55 - fully 12 years before retirement. For those who piss away their pension fund at 55, tax payers not only gross up their pension funds but they also have to pick up the bills when they can't manage on a state pension alone.

I 'd have thought you Tory PBers would see the benefit of encouraging saving for RETIREMENT rather than encourage frivolous spending of tax payers money- after all you just love telling us all of the frivolous spending of "benefit scrounger"
  • Options
    On topic I know a couple of people in the seat.

They are expecting a Labour hold, but they are struggling to see Labour voters coming out to vote in great numbers on a cold December/January evening.

Without wanting to open up that particular can of worms, if UKIP go heavy on grooming, then they will lose as they found out in Rotherham, SYPC election etc, people are more focussed on jobs and EU migration.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Always sad to see a long-serving Parliamentarian depart this coil.

Meacher was one of the few Lab MPs who nominated Corbo and meant it. He is already losing friends. Cant help thinking that his death won't help with the democratic deficit between Labour leadership and the MPs.

Did Kaufman and Skinner nominate Corbo too?
  • Options
    Hmm ... I think there should probably be substantial tax reliefs for someone doing up a listed building like the work that manor needs doing.

The truck park next door makes it decidedly unappealing if you have neccesary couple of millions for the renovation work though. In fact the truck park is probably a fair part of the reason it may well be completely uneconomical as the restored value will be too low with that monstrosity next to it. If you're forking out say £3 million for a nice house then bar central London you'd want a bit of idyllic seclusion...

(Values are just my guess I don't know the costs of rebuild or market value)
  • Options
    I've found this humdinger, from last November, which may top that Sion Simon article for its brilliant prescience, this is by Tom Watson

UKIP victory in Rochester by-election could spell end for Conservative Party

http://bit.ly/1W61Idg
  • Options
    We just avoided Listing thankfully, but still had the conservation bods all over any change we wanted to make. Insisted on wooden replacement windows - they cost us £35k for just the ground floor to double glaze.

I think we spent about £150k just to get our house to a newish standard re fixing - and another £100k on bits/flooring. Huge parts of the renovation were just us for about 18 months in every spare minute - I hate to think how much that've cost to pay someone else for it. Very fulfilling, but it's a labour of love that never ends.

MaxPB said:

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

MaxPB said:

Major issue round here, with pretty well everything in the town centre area “Listed”. We had lots of problems a few years ago refurbishing the Village Hall. (No, don’t know why we are a town and have a Village Hall! Probably something to do with community size, which apparent;ly matters.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Dan Hannan, on media impartiality in general, and the BBC in particular
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11947143/An-idiots-guide-to-overcoming-BBC-bias.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    Daniel is on good form http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11947143/An-idiots-guide-to-overcoming-BBC-bias.html
    1. If you pigeonhole your guests, be even-handed

If you insist on labelling one side, please label the other. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been introduced like this: “Joining us now are Ken Clarke, the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, and Daniel Hannan, a hardline Eurosceptic”. From the off, the audience has been primed to perceive one position as more doctrinaire than the other. I was once driven to complain on air, and the BBC, to its credit, apologised handsomely; but, of course, you can’t complain on air without coming across as a bit of a tit...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Anorak said:

In case anyone missed it: Just reading last nights thread. Had to wipe my eyes after watching this. And I never even blinked when Bambi's mum was shot.

SeanT said:

I guarantee, this is five minutes of your life you will be quite happy you never got back.

Watch this video. Just astonishing.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.eshbach/videos/1051135241572083/

Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

Unfortunately there is something in my eye...both actually.
  • Options

Daniel is on good form http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11947143/An-idiots-guide-to-overcoming-BBC-bias.html

If you insist on labelling one side, please label the other. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been introduced like this: “Joining us now are Ken Clarke, the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, and Daniel Hannan, a hardline Eurosceptic”. From the off, the audience has been primed to perceive one position as more doctrinaire than the other. I was once driven to complain on air, and the BBC, to its credit, apologised handsomely; but, of course, you can’t complain on air without coming across as a bit of a tit...
    Could have benn worse, they could have said "Dan Hannan, whose political hero is Enoch Powell..."
  • Options
    UN accuses Czech Republic of system human rights violations:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34604118
  • Options
    "who wants to abolish the NHS" "who regularly appears with Republic politicians"

It's just so blinking obvious, he's turned down dozens of invites from the BBC when he's only invited on as someone to play up against. As my MEP, I think he's fab, but he's not got the personal warmth required for day to day politics. Too forensic and clear - he comes across as a trifle surgical.
    isam said:

Could have benn worse, they could have said "Dan Hannan, whose political hero is Enoch Powell..."

• Options
    To say that I have ZERO time for the UN overstates my estimation of them.

UN accuses Czech Republic of system human rights violations:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34604118

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

I live in England

So none then?
    Fair enough.
    I don't think there is support for it (only anecdotally from those I speak to of course). I do think many had emotions ranging from bemusement to hurt having been exposed to how much they were hated by some (very vocal) Scots.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, are you suggesting that the UN claim we were horrid [I forget the precise term used] over Dale Farm travellers who were there illegally for a decade before finally being evicted were not necessarily correct?

[Think I got the farm name right, but it was a couple of years ago, so I could be wrong].
  • Options
    You're quite correct - and all their other liberal handwringing about Guardianista First World Problems when they've a whole planet to address.

It's just pathetic. Everytime I see *UN* in a headline, I scroll down.

Miss Plato, are you suggesting that the UN claim we were horrid [I forget the precise term used] over Dale Farm travellers who were there illegally for a decade before finally being evicted were not necessarily correct?

[Think I got the farm name right, but it was a couple of years ago, so I could be wrong].

• Options

I find old stately homes really intriguing when they've been left to rot - we had Otham Court - a medieval manor down the lane from me - it's gorgeous, totally secluded and bought by Dire Straits band bloke for millions, then sold on to someone who couldn't afford the upkeep and started to wither.

geoffw said:

You have to wonder how Milton bashed out Paradise Lost on a typewriter like that.

I think we should create new hereditary Baronetcies and attach them to at risk rotting piles/estates. If people go in and restore the properties (and reside there for a certain portion of time), they are the Baronet, and their ancestors keep the title for as long as they reside. It would be interesting to see if this has any appeal for today's billionnaire.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    An intriguing idea. There was a decade or so ago a fashion for buying titles. It may be rather nouveau riche for many post-80s, but worth a try.

geoffw said:

I think we should create new hereditary Baronetcies and attach them to at risk rotting piles/estates. If people go in and restore the properties (and reside there for a certain portion of time), they are the Baronet, and their ancestors keep the title for as long as they reside. It would be interesting to see if this has any appeal for today's billionnaire.
  • Options

geoffw said:

The problem is that whacking great truck park next to the house I reckon. Without it there might be a few willing investors.
  • Options

An intriguing idea. There was a decade or so ago a fashion for buying titles. It maybe rather nouveau riche for many post-80s, but worth a try.

geoffw said:

Perhaps it might appeal to Russian Oligarchs and maybe Indians and eventually Chinese - I think Americans are probably to cool for it these days.

It would have to be legit - not like those ghastly title sales that mean you can have it on your chequebook and get flight upgrades.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

The problem is that whacking great truck park next to the house I reckon. Without it there might be a few willing investors.
    Why the hell is that there? Did the owner sell or lease the land to some truckers?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I see John Mann is the latest labourite to fret that tax credit cuts will cost his opponents popularity.

I'm sure his concern is appreciated.
  • Options
    Longleat has negotiated a deal to build a replica of itself in China - quite a coup, its got a super history from an architectural POV.

An intriguing idea. There was a decade or so ago a fashion for buying titles. It maybe rather nouveau riche for many post-80s, but worth a try.

geoffw said:

Perhaps it might appeal to Russian Oligarchs and maybe Indians and eventually Chinese - I think Americans are probably to cool for it these days.

It would have to be legit - not like those ghastly title sales that mean you can have it on your chequebook and get flight upgrades.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    For the benefit of The Kraken Awakes, it makes more financial sense for people at the lower end of the wealth spectrum to cash in their pots (to avoid an adverse impact on benefits in future) than for people at the top end of the wealth spectrum to do so, given they are taxed at their marginal rate.

There's been a lot of talk of pension pots being cashed in to buy Lamborghinis. It's more appropriate for them to be cashed in to buy second hand Ladas.
  • Options
    There are all sorts of lovely heritage homes marooned in a horror of development.

I looked at a gorgeous C17th farmhouse - surrounded by a grubby council estate/industrial buildings. If you closed your eyes and ears on the way there, it was stunning for the price.

The previous owners had clearly sold off parcels of land to maintain the main house. I can't condemn them. I did the same with mine - and so had the previous owners for 150yrs. We just crept backwards.
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

Why the hell is that there? Did the owner sell or lease the land to some truckers?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I've found this humdinger, from last November, which may top that Sion Simon article for its brilliant prescience, this is by Tom Watson

UKIP victory in Rochester by-election could spell end for Conservative Party

http://bit.ly/1W61Idg

Oh I don't know. This was quite prescient:

"Peel created a modern political force capable of metamorphosing itself to survive in any political climate and prosper in the face of adversity."

It's just that he didn't see it still applying in 2015.....

• Options
    "Let's not be snobbish," says fantastically snobbish piece lamenting the lack of Balliol PPEists in Corbyn's Labour https://t.co/uaYY2aK22R
  • Options
    Good result for Farron is a saved deposit

Great result for Dave is 2nd place

Low turnout Lab hold by 8K which will be 35%
  • Options
    Rabada of South Africa is becoming a v impressive ODI bowler indeed, esp at the death
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2015
    The family home of the 17th century poet John Milton, appears to be a 19th century Victorian Mansion and a fairly mundane one at that. – Fortunately, Milton Cottage, where Milton once lived is perfectly preserved and a museum open to the public.

http://www.miltonscottage.org/
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Low turnout Lab hold by 8K which will be 35% ''

The point was made earlier that the folk of this constituency must be a pretty radically leftist lot to return Mr Meacher.

In the past, however, they returned him safe in the knowledge he would be moderated by his leadership.

Now there is no such security, making the result a rather interesting one.
  • Options
    I prefer Old Mother Hubbard's Shoe. :wink:

The family home of the 17th century poet John Milton, appears to be a 19th century Victorian Mansion and a fairly mundane one at that. – Fortunately, Milton Cottage, where Milton once lived is perfectly preserved and a museum open to the public.

http://www.miltonscottage.org/

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Pro_Rata said:

And would abolishing devolution kill nationalism stone dead? ;)

:)

I suspect that devolution might, in the long run, turn out to kill Nationalism...

@kdugdalemsp: A tad surprised the FM wasn't asked about the NHS on the wireless this morning - not like it's news or anything... https://t.co/THSqHxPk7y

@RuthDavidsonMSP: 'Judge us on our record'
    'OK. You've cut NHS spending & it's hurting services.'
    'Shup'
    *constitutional distraction* https://t.co/AFccL4UZVk

@kevverage: Our fully devolved NHS folks - in safe hands under the SNP?

> https://t.co/mGzcm9fL2s https://t.co/d0qfkVDJDK
    LOL, bet Scott did not listen to GMS and hear Kaye and BBC gobsmacked that every caller thought NHS was great and SNP doing a grand job. Prefers made up mince from turnips on twatterland
    The SNP Bad brigade really are struggling badly on this. The Goebbels "Big Lie" only works when the lie is about something people have limited day to day contact with.

In the case of the Scottish Health Service, people use it every day and love it. The irony is that the SNP are now being attacked by Tories for delivering great service for less money while the Tories in England have massively over-spent on a service which is now failing.

Everything comes back to the Foulkes quote.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Is that Fatty Foulkes?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

LOL, bet Scott did not listen to GMS

I heard the stock SNP answer to every hard question...

"Look at the polls, the people love me"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

The owners, relatives of the deceased, still use the farm buildings and yard for business purposes.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

The owners, relatives of the deceased, still use the farm buildings and yard for business purposes.
    Shocking that they care so little for the house.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

It would cost a fortune to restore, and then is still situated right under Heathrow's flightpath.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Off Topic. Yesterday there was a discussion on grid electricity energy storage. Here's some news on developments in cheaper flow batteries.
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/1021267.article?cmpid=tenews_1695338
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    runnymede said:

Is that Fatty Foulkes?

George Foulkes : We are moving towards a situation where the SNP are delivering significantly better services than those in England.
    Interviewer : Is that a bad thing?
    Foulkes : But they're doing it deliberately
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

It's been falling down for decades. Why would they want to spend any money on it? It's surrounded by reservoirs, motorways and industry with 747's blasting overhead, engines on full throttle for climb out from Heathrow.

They had applied for permission to redevelop/restore the buildings, in 2005.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    antifrank said:

For the benefit of The Kraken Awakes, it makes more financial sense for people at the lower end of the wealth spectrum to cash in their pots (to avoid an adverse impact on benefits in future) than for people at the top end of the wealth spectrum to do so, given they are taxed at their marginal rate.

There's been a lot of talk of pension pots being cashed in to buy Lamborghinis. It's more appropriate for them to be cashed in to buy second hand Ladas.

Difficult. On Autotrader at the moment there are 162 used Lamborghinis for sale but only one Lada.
  • Options
    Are there any Daewoo?

Now that was a spectacular crash in terms of global firms. Not quite in the Enron/WorldCom league - but impressive.

antifrank said:

Difficult. On Autotrader at the moment there are 162 used Lamborghinis for sale but only one Lada.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015

Clearly showing that antifrank was right, all the Ladas have been snapped up but you have the devil of a job persuading a pensioner to cash in his pension and fork out on a Lamborghini.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Clearly showing that antifrank was right, all the Ladas have been snapped up but you have the devil of a job persuading a pensioner to cash in his pension and fork out on a Lamborghini.
    Especially if he's a member at Wentworth

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

"Let's not be snobbish," says fantastically snobbish piece lamenting the lack of Balliol PPEists in Corbyn's Labour https://t.co/uaYY2aK22R

Ah, but he realized his error and has duly atoned by his appointment yesterday of Seumas Milne (Winchester, Balliol [first in PPE] and Lubyanka) as his strategy supremo.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited October 2015
    JohnO said:

Ah, but he realized his error and has duly atoned by his appointment yesterday of Seumas Milne (Winchester, Balliol [first in PPE] and Lubyanka) as his strategy supremo.
    Mr O

do you know where Neil is these days ?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I don't know if it is still the case, but a few years back I heard that Ladas were being bought up by people in Eastern Europe and there was a thriving trade in shipping them back there from Britain. Consequently I always notice when I see one, and haven't seen one that I remember for a couple of years. They aren't an elegant vehicle but I think they score in places which get very cold and have some poor roads.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I knew I was on thin ice when I started talking about cars.
  • Options
    Like the brief fashion for Trabants?

I don't know if it is still the case, but a few years back I heard that Ladas were being bought up by people in Eastern Europe and there was a thriving trade in shipping them back there from Britain. Consequently I always notice when I see one, and haven't seen one that I remember for a couple of years. They aren't an elegant vehicle but I think they score in places which get very cold and have some poor roads.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Looks like a hold doesn't it?

But I would LMAO if they managed to lose this one.
  • Options
    What was the last Labour safe seat to go kerplunk before Bradford West?
    Floater said:

• Options
    The referendum battle over Europe has tightened dramatically, according to an exclusive poll that suggests David Cameron needs to restore key powers to Westminster and curb migration if he is to persuade large numbers of sceptics to switch sides.

If the referendum was held today, 57 per cent of those who have reached a view would vote to stay in the European Union, while 43 per cent would vote to leave, found the Ipsos MORI survey for the Evening Standard.

The 14-point lead to stay will be cold comfort for Mr Cameron because it marks a narrowing of the gap since June, when the lead was 69-31.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/cameron-faces-plunge-in-support-for-staying-in-eu-a3096816.html
  • Options
    Floater said:

It is a bit of a no win situation for Corbyn. If it is held well it can't really be extrapolated to seats which are tougher for Labour. But if the Labour vote is revealed to be weak in any respect it will be evidence that he is a problem. I wouldn't have chosen to let Meacher die if I were Corbyn.
  • Options

Floater said:

One of the Glasgow seats in 2008
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

Mr O

do you know where Neil is these days ?
    Aye, he's taking time out...not sure if he will be back.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Isn't that taking the whole Corbyn Jesus cult a bit far? :wink:
    I wouldn't have chosen to let Meacher die if I were Corbyn.

Floater said:

It is a bit of a no win situation for Corbyn. If it is held well it can't really be extrapolated to seats which are tougher for Labour. But if the Labour vote is revealed to be weak in any respect it will be evidence that he is a problem. I wouldn't have chosen to let Meacher die if I were Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Glasgow East

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMi776jah1w

Floater said:

One of the Glasgow seats in 2008
  • Options

Floater said:

It wasn't intended as a serious suggestion. He does have strange powers though.

A friend I have known since school and has voted Labour religiously at every election since 1979, and who may well be a party member, has switched to of all people the Lib Dems. (Though he does live in Eastbourne, where it probably makes more sense than it would in most places.) He works in the public sector so he is the archetype of a Labour voter and not the kind of person that Labour should be losing. On the other hand, a couple of highly entrepreneurial small business starters that I deal with who you'd have expected to be running their local Tory branches have both told me that they think Corbyn is just the kind of politician they have been waiting for.

I am confused.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @George_Osborne: Tax gap hits record low of 6.4% of tax collected. Proves Labour’s figures are wide of the mark. Another blow to their economic credibility
  • Options

Here are 9 reasons Denmark’s socialist economy leaves the US in the dust

http://usuncut.com/world/here-are-9-reasons-denmarks-socialist-economy-leaves-the-us-in-the-dust/

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Dair said:

runnymede said:

Is that Fatty Foulkes?

George Foulkes : We are moving towards a situation where the SNP are delivering significantly better services than those in England.
    Interviewer : Is that a bad thing?
    Foulkes : But they're doing it deliberately
    Is he suggesting that the SNP has an interest in sabotaging things in England to make Scotland look better by comparison? That's a bold claim.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It sounds confusing.

Stephen Lloyd was in the words of Eastbourne LD activists, their closest attempt at a Tory. He had a significant personal vote [I met a lot of them at the polling station] and he still lost at GE2015.

The Labour guy is very pleasant, they polled about 5k votes. IIRC the CLP here has about 400 members now post Corbyn's election.

Floater said:

It wasn't intended as a serious suggestion. He does have strange powers though.

A friend I have known since school and has voted Labour religiously at every election since 1979, and who may well be a party member, has switched to of all people the Lib Dems. (Though he does live in Eastbourne, where it probably makes more sense than it would in most places.) He works in the public sector so he is the archetype of a Labour voter and not the kind of person that Labour should be losing. On the other hand, a couple of highly entrepreneurial small business starters that I deal with who you'd have expected to be running their local Tory branches have both told me that they think Corbyn is just the kind of politician they have been waiting for.

I am confused.

• Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

I am confused.

Interestingly, down here in deepest rural West Wales, where my branch has doubled its membership, quite a few of the new members are small business people. It had caught my notice as well and is interesting. I suspect it is something to do with green JC's credentials.
  • Options

new thread