Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos MORI referendum REMAIN lead drops by an astonishing

Comments

• Options

Mr. Eagles, at what point did his name hold him back, in your view?

I meant in terms of popular culture. He's no Caesar.

When people think of Basil they think of Basil Brush.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    OK, here's your Pub Quiz question on migration (no Googling!):

2014 was a record year for asylum applications worldwide. The largest number of applications submitted to a single country was 274,700. Which was that country?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954

2014 was a record year for asylum applications worldwide. The largest number of applications submitted to a single country was 274,700. Which was that country?

The USA?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

2014 was a record year for asylum applications worldwide. The largest number of applications submitted in a single country was 274,700. Which was that country?

I'll have a go at Lebanon.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The USA?
    Not a bad answer. They were number 3.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Lebanon?
  • Options
    Jordan?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Italy?

• Options
    To clarify, I did make a small edit there: 'to' a single country, not 'in' a single country.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

It's got to be somewhere massive. Russia?
  • Options
    I'm going to go for The Federated States of Micronesia
  • Options

Sweden?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Sweden?
  • Options
    On topic 69-31 was always a massive outlier surely?

This is now in line with most other polls - lead for "in" but not settled just yet
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Yes, I was amazed as well

Russian Federation 274,700
    Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

In addition, however, the UNHCR registered 245,700 directly
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    I hope every club follows suit and boos. And maybe turns their back too, while the anthem plays.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,862

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

How many of those were ethnic Russians fleeing Ukraine after Russia started a war there?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

Half of them will be Ukrainian and the other half will be Edward Snowden in different handwriting!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

How many of those were ethnic Russians fleeing Ukraine after Russia started a war there?
    Probably most of them, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

Half of them will be Ukrainian and the other half will be Edward Snowden in different handwriting!
    LOL!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2015
    "Well I've gone from a certain Remain to a probable Leave in the last few months."

Splitter!!!!!! TPD!!!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Is anyone else getting bored of the EU debate already?? We don't really have another two years of this do we.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Why was the anthem being booed?
  • Options

"Well I've gone from a certain Remain to a probable Leave in the last few months."

Splitter!!!!!! TPD!!!

I'm still not obsessing about Europe, gays or immigrants.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    I know, I know. I fully expect one of those rare outbreaks of football unity for the next round of matches involving English teams, perhaps involving sarcastically loud and operatic, fist on club badge, mock North Korean style patriotic 'aahing' of the anthem.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

Very good! :+1:
  • Options

UEFA punished Man City over financial fair play.

Plus City fans think Uefa have been lenient towards racist chants at their players by other teams.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, ah. Cheers.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Mr. Eagles, hmm. And if the migration business settles down?

Others here have made similar journeys (perhaps to a greater or lesser extent), but my feeling is that when the vote comes, the status quo will win. Recent events have been helpful for Out, of course.

I'm not fussed about the migrant crisis/immigration.

My view has always been down to pure economics.

It is unlikely that we'll get protection for the City of London nor our financial services industry, add in I'm expecting deeper integration in the Eurozone which I suspect will be bad for us, that's what has switched my vote.
    Owen Paterson gave an excellent interview to Sky News on leaving the EU. A real positive case for leaving with little negativity. Well worth checking out.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2015
    @rcs1000

'What I meant was that the people of Germany are hardly going to stand for a constant flux - 500,000/year or more - of migrants from Syria and the Middle East. We have already seen a revolt in the CSU. It is no more popular for millions of migrants from the Middle East to arrive in Germany as it is in the UK. And if something is highly unpopular with the people then it will not continue.'

What we may well see (and the start of it was last weekend) is the EU and Merkel in particular cutting a deal with Turkey to try and stem the flood. The deal will include a visa waiver for Turks and the mass immigration will continue but this time with Turks instead of Syrians,Afghans etc.

• Options
    Cricket = Honours even after day 1 ?
  • Options
    Mr. Zims, that could still have electoral implications for Merkel, given the situation with Gastarbeiter [may've calmed down since I looked at that when at school, though].
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015

Sandpit said:

GeoffM said:

We have a winner!

Germany 173,100
    USA 121,000
    Turkey 87,800
    Sweden 75,100

Probably most of them, I'd have thought.
    I understand that a lot of Russian gay people successfully claim asylum on that basis in the West.

EDIT: Oh, the number was going the other way. Never mind.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@rcs1000

'What I meant was that the people of Germany are hardly going to stand for a constant flux - 500,000/year or more - of migrants from Syria and the Middle East. We have already seen a revolt in the CSU. It is no more popular for millions of migrants from the Middle East to arrive in Germany as it is in the UK. And if something is highly unpopular with the people then it will not continue.'

What we may well see (and the start of it was last weekend) is the EU and Merkel in particular cutting a deal with Turkey to try and stem the flood. The deal will include a visa waiver for Turks and the mass immigration will continue but this time with Turks instead of Syrians,Afghans etc.

Not needing a visa is not the same as having the right to work.

I don't need a visa to visit the US, but I don't have the right to work there.
  • Options
    The Russian stat is surprising, until you realise it's about Ukraine and that:

In Soviet Russia, asylum claims YOU*!

*If you happen to leave in eastern Ukraine.
  • Options
    rcs1000,

I understand your point, but I believe 1.5 million are estimated to arrive in Germany this year. They do not yet seem minded to turn them away. Therefore, I think it's reasonable getting about 0.5 mill before they start doing that. Even when they start doing that, so many people are already on route that many will still be sneaking in beyond that and yet still successfully getting asylum once in (e.g. like the channel tunnel refugees). I could easily see 2.5 million getting to Germany, with maybe half getting passports.

We could easily see ten times as many as Cameron decided to accept if we don't get protection from it.
  • Options

You mean Novorossiya?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, is that Russian for I Can't Believe It's Not The Soviet Union?
  • Options
    That's pathetic. Like something out of 1984, or North Korea
  • Options
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JEO said:

rcs1000,

I understand your point, but I believe 1.5 million are estimated to arrive in Germany this year. They do not yet seem minded to turn them away. Therefore, I think it's reasonable getting about 0.5 mill before they start doing that. Even when they start doing that, so many people are already on route that many will still be sneaking in beyond that and yet still successfully getting asylum once in (e.g. like the channel tunnel refugees). I could easily see 2.5 million getting to Germany, with maybe half getting passports.

We could easily see ten times as many as Cameron decided to accept if we don't get protection from it.

I speak to a few Germans through various forums and I have no reason to believe they are anything other than normal, law-abiding, working people, not particularly politically committed one way or another. They are all absolutely furious at the migration that they see as being forced on them.

Straws in the wind, anecdote not data and all the rest of it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2015
    JEO said:
    Except very little of that article is accurate.

The Bankers in question were involved in a multimillion pound fraud. Not regulatory failings.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393

Those evil Russians eh? Can't even accept the world's assylum seekers without some evil white cat stroking motive.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    MP_SE said:

Others here have made similar journeys (perhaps to a greater or lesser extent), but my feeling is that when the vote comes, the status quo will win. Recent events have been helpful for Out, of course.

It is unlikely that we'll get protection for the City of London nor our financial services industry, add in I'm expecting deeper integration in the Eurozone which I suspect will be bad for us, that's what has switched my vote.
    Owen Paterson gave an excellent interview to Sky News on leaving the EU. A real positive case for leaving with little negativity. Well worth checking out.
    He's wrong on most things even badgers.
    "the badgers have moved the goalposts."
  • Options

UEFA punished Man City over financial fair play.

Plus City fans think Uefa have been lenient towards racist chants at their players by other teams.
    Plus UEFA ludicrously made CSKA play behind closed doors due to their fans poor behaviour - after City fans had already bought tickets and accommodation. So City fans were punished for the sins of CSKA fans.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Restricting the EU vote to British nationals seems an entirely reasonable thing to do:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11945477/Brexit-Block-non-UK-citizens-from-voting-in-EU-referendum-says-new-report.html

It would be fairly toxic if British citizens vote to leave the EU, but are kept in by foreign nationals.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You mean Novorossiya?
    Historically, "Novorossiya" covers an area greater than Eastern Ukraine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novorossiya
  • Options
    Is this bit true?

“Nor is any documentation required, simply a declaration that the applicant is a Commonwealth or Irish citizen."
  • Options
    JEO said:

Restricting the EU vote to British nationals seems an entirely reasonable thing to do:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11945477/Brexit-Block-non-UK-citizens-from-voting-in-EU-referendum-says-new-report.html

It would be fairly toxic if British citizens vote to leave the EU, but are kept in by foreign nationals.

Commonwealth citizens living in the UK are entitled to vote in General Elections, so why not the EU referendum?

Whether they should be allowed to vote in General Elections is another matter but that should be reformed for all or for none, not just one referendum.

EU citizens OTOH are not entitled to vote in General Elections, so can't vote in the referendum. Quite rightly too.
  • Options

If every team's fans now start to boo the anthem, then what will they do?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JamesClayton5: SNP source says it's "very, very likely" that they'll use their next opposition day (24th Nov) to vote on Trident. Massive prob for Labour
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, either that, or I was making a joke on the internet.

Mr. JEO, seems rather obvious. I thought the vote was being limited in that way already.

Speaking of which, saw a minute or two of last night's Sky paper review, and both people on it (Jacqui Smith and an ex-adviser to John Major, I think) reckoned 16 year olds should be allowed to vote. Daft sods. Of course, both were also pro-EU.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If every team's fans now start to boo the anthem, then what will they do?
    "Nice to see your home fans booing you! That's what loyal support is!" - W. Rooney.
  • Options
    Isn’t it about time the SNP started investigating those in their ranks who are behind the worst abuses, and, if they are revealed to be members‎, start expelling them or at least issuing meaningful warnings. Isn’t proper action by Nicola Sturgeon – who is much more reasonable and sensible than the ego-maniac Alex Salmond – overdue, to clean up her party?

This problem now cuts across party or ideological lines, threatening basic freedoms and eroding civic norms that were taken for granted until the madness and bitterness of the referendum period.
    http://www.capx.co/shouldnt-nicola-sturgeon-be-expelling-some-nationalist-extremists/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

meanwhile routine racist chanting by many uefa member supporters, etc, gets what?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

He's wrong on most things even badgers.
    "the badgers have moved the goalposts."
    That may be true but what he discussed on Sky News was correct - Spinelli and Five Presidents reports providing a clear indication of where the EU is heading, retaking our seat at the top tables (UNECE, Codex, etc.), etc.
  • Options
    I had survived many months without attracting the attention of The National, the SNP's American-owned propaganda sheet. But then, like buses, two from The National turned up at the same time.

a second bus sped into the terminus with Cat Boyd at the wheel, she being a tribune of the nationalist movement no more forgiving than the one who had earlier in the week instructed Joanne and Muriel to fuck off over the border.

The idea that I'm a member of the Scottish establishment, and that somehow I represent it in a nutshell, will take some time to get used to; I may have to dine out on it for years before the risible laughter all around me finally subsides. Ms Boyd forgets that the Scottish establishment – the new establishment – consists of people like herself.

But, more seriously, I must also get used to the idea that I am now officially an enemy of Miss Sturgeon's one-party state.
    http://www.scottishreview.net/KennethRoy23a.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JamesClayton5: SNP source says it's "very, very likely" that they'll use their next opposition day (24th Nov) to vote on Trident. Massive prob for Labour

Fantastic. *Gets popcorn*

Like the tax credits vote this week, watch for all the Tory MPs to turn up for the vote. Embarrassing the SNP and Labour at the same time is known as killing two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200
    JEO said:
    You might want to check out Southwark Crown Court where a number of them are currently on trial, with more to come. One has just been sentenced to 14 years in prison and another is out after being convicted of the UK's biggest fraud.

Our maximum sentence for fraud is too low and the sentences which are given are also too low. But it's not the case that nothing is happening.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Like the tax credits vote this week, watch for all the Tory MPs to turn up for the vote. Embarrassing the SNP and Labour at the same time is known as killing two birds with one stone.
    Why would the SNP be embarrassed (Unless 3 in a bed MacNeil locks himself in the loo again :P ) ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    Scott_P said:

Isn’t it about time the SNP started investigating those in their ranks who are behind the worst abuses, and, if they are revealed to be members‎, start expelling them or at least issuing meaningful warnings. Isn’t proper action by Nicola Sturgeon – who is much more reasonable and sensible than the ego-maniac Alex Salmond – overdue, to clean up her party?

This problem now cuts across party or ideological lines, threatening basic freedoms and eroding civic norms that were taken for granted until the madness and bitterness of the referendum period.
    http://www.capx.co/shouldnt-nicola-sturgeon-be-expelling-some-nationalist-extremists/

LOL, they will want Stasi rounding up suspected SNP supporters soon. Cannot beat them at the ballot box so let us just put them in gulags, UK democracy you just got to love the loyalist unionists chutzpah.
  • Options

JEO said:

Commonwealth citizens living in the UK are entitled to vote in General Elections, so why not the EU referendum?

Whether they should be allowed to vote in General Elections is another matter but that should be reformed for all or for none, not just one referendum.

EU citizens OTOH are not entitled to vote in General Elections, so can't vote in the referendum. Quite rightly too.
    They should probably be removed for both, but I think it's especially important for a referendum which will determine things not just for the next five years, but for the next thirty.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Why would the SNP be embarrassed (Unless 3 in a bed MacNeil locks himself in the loo again :P ) ?
    Sandpit is easily confused.
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann: Government passes Evel motion - Ayes 312 to 270 Noes
  • Options
    Mr. P, bah. Political equivalent of giving a starving man a leather shoe to eat. It's an improvement, but not by enough.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Who let MAlky, have the keys to the COSHH, cupboard? He's well into the Cillit Bang.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2015

Mr. P, bah. Political equivalent of giving a starving man a leather shoe to eat. It's an improvement, but not by enough.

But if you wish to hold out for nothing but an English Government, - you will get nothing.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, it's a step in the right direction, but far from being the end of the journey.
  • Options
    @ProfChalmers: I see that some MPs are furious that they might not be able to vote on things they don't want to vote on.

@OwenThompson: The Tories ended the union today - not SNP & not the people of Scotland - result of this will have huge consequences for whole UK #EVEL
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Confused that the "Party of Scotland" actively support the loss of several thousand Scottish jobs, yes.
  • Options
    This EVEL motion does not go anywhere near far enough. It is no more than English Veto for English Laws. We need English Votes for English Laws.

On issues where the Scots have decided to devolve matters out of Westminster there should be zero votes by Scottish MPs on those matters.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Is this bit true?

“Nor is any documentation required, simply a declaration that the applicant is a Commonwealth or Irish citizen."

What documentation did you expect, Mr. JEO? What did you have to provide to get onto the electoral roll?

The most recent changes mean that at least a person has to declare themselves rather than having the "head of household" do it for them. Then, when it comes to actual voting, we can bimble along to the polling station say who we are, with no proof of identity required, and vote.

It may be that these somewhat relaxed arrangements might make a difference in one or two places, and may be the postal voting needs to be tightened up a little more, but generally speaking it seems to work OK.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    Scott_P said:

@KateEMcCann: Government passes Evel motion - Ayes 312 to 270 Noes

Easy win.

That leaves foxhunting and Human Rights reform as the trickiest votes to go - except EU ref natch.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:

@ProfChalmers: I see that some MPs are furious that they might not be able to vote on things they don't want to vote on.

@OwenThompson: The Tories ended the union today - not SNP & not the people of Scotland - result of this will have huge consequences for whole UK #EVEL

If it puts a few jocks noses out of joint its the right call. Frankly I am sick of jocks whining about any matter you care to mention.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

taffys said:

''The explanation is that they will vote Remain but are using the opinion poll to register grumpiness with the EU, in particular over immigration, Calais and the mishandling of the migrant crisis generally. ''

I think, given what is going on in Germany, the misgivings are deeper than that.

They may be, but since the Leave side seem to be arguing for an EEA-style arrangement (or at least, as far as I can tell that's what's being suggested, but who knows?), whatever misgivings on immigration anyone may have should logically not impact on their decision as to whether we should leave or not.

Of course logic doesn't always apply, but at some point this message will begin to penetrate.
    If we left, were in the EEA and Mrs Merton et al decided that all EU members had to share the burden of 1m migrants (refugees some call them), would we be able to say no or would we be in the same position as we are now?
    We are able to say no now. There is no way the EU can force us to take one migrant we do not wish to take.

Even for countries that do not have the opt-outs we have, like Hungary, there is ultimately no way for Mrs Merkel to force countries to do things they don't want to do. Because if it is sufficiently unpopular, countries can (a) refuse, and (b) leave.

If we were in EFTA/EEA we would, obviously, have even more control.

But that won't be the case once these migrants start getting EU passports.
    Do you think that issuing half a million German passports to Syrians and Iraqis and Afghanis would be popular in Berlin?
    How long did it take the Turks living in Germany to become citizens ?
  • Options

JEO said:

Is this bit true?

What documentation did you expect, Mr. JEO? What did you have to provide to get onto the electoral roll?

The most recent changes mean that at least a person has to declare themselves rather than having the "head of household" do it for them. Then, when it comes to actual voting, we can bimble along to the polling station say who we are, with no proof of identity required, and vote.

It may be that these somewhat relaxed arrangements might make a difference in one or two places, and may be the postal voting needs to be tightened up a little more, but generally speaking it seems to work OK.
    Giving goings on in places like Tower Hamlets, I don't have much faith in this process any more, especially with voters from parts of the world where voting is more corrupt.
  • Options

This EVEL motion does not go anywhere near far enough. It is no more than English Veto for English Laws. We need English Votes for English Laws.

On issues where the Scots have decided to devolve matters out of Westminster there should be zero votes by Scottish MPs on those matters.

Entirely agree. This proposal does not deserve to be called English votes, when it is merely veto power.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Confused that the "Party of Scotland" actively support the loss of several thousand Scottish jobs, yes.
    The SNP line on Trident is just as clear as the Conservative line though diametrically opposed. Labour is the only party with a problem on it.
  • Options
    @davidtorrance: I agree with the SNP that EVEL is a nonsense, but the point remains that until 19 September 2014 it as a party had consistently supported it
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited October 2015
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The few polls I've seen show that axing trident is hardly emphatically backed by people in Scotland.

For example this one, there's only a 6% lead for scrap.

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/should-trident-be-scrapped-or-maintained#table
  • Options
    JEO said:

Entirely agree. This proposal does not deserve to be called English votes, when it is merely veto power.
    I agree. What does confuse me is why a Conservative government has been so pusillanimous on this matter. It feels to me like Cameron is trying to fob us off with the minimum he thinks he can get away with rather than actually tackling a serious constitutional issue.

Now, my own view is that Cameron is a nasty PR spiv with not a principled bone in his body but people on here keep telling me he is proper Conservative who really does care about more than political power. Actions, as always, speak louder than words and I am damned if I can see why I should shift my opinion of the man.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

Is this bit true?

Giving goings on in places like Tower Hamlets, I don't have much faith in this process any more, especially with voters from parts of the world where voting is more corrupt.
    Fair comment but surely the answer is to prosecute those who make false declarations and not to impose some ghastly bureaucratic burden on the 99% of the population who play by the rules.
  • Options
    ''Actions, as always, speak louder than words and I am damned if I can see why I should shift my opinion of the man. ''

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of a situation where more than a veto would be necessary.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    taffys said:

''Actions, as always, speak louder than words and I am damned if I can see why I should shift my opinion of the man. ''

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of a situation where more than a veto would be necessary.

Mr Taffys, a veto may stop unpopular laws being imposed but cannot ensure popular ones are enacted.

Edited.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

JEO said:

I agree. What does confuse me is why a Conservative government has been so pusillanimous on this matter. It feels to me like Cameron is trying to fob us off with the minimum he thinks he can get away with rather than actually tackling a serious constitutional issue.

Now, my own view is that Cameron is a nasty PR spiv with not a principled bone in his body but people on here keep telling me he is proper Conservative who really does care about more than political power. Actions, as always, speak louder than words and I am damned if I can see why I should shift my opinion of the man.
    You are rather confused about your history. A proper Conservative is someone who takes a pragmatic and realistic view. Cameron is bang in the centre of the great tradition of Conservative Prime Ministers, doing the best that can be done in the circumstances. Of course it's a bit of a fudge - most things in the great unwritten British constitution, such as the Salisbury Convention or indeed our constitutional monarchy, are fudges, which gradually get honoured by tradition.

The key point is that it's a damned sight better than what was there before.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2015
    Possible game-changer for the EU Referendum: Theresa May could back the "Out" campaign

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/is-theresa-may-gearing-up-to-lead-the-eu-no-campaign/

I think the conclusion towards the end is sound: she is the kind of intelligent, credible, reassuring figure who could make Brexit seem a lot less "dangerous".
  • Options
    edited October 2015

JEO said:

You are rather confused about your history. A proper Conservative is someone who takes a pragmatic and realistic view. Cameron is bang in the centre of the great tradition of Conservative Prime Ministers, doing the best that can be done in the circumstances. Of course it's a bit of a fudge - most things in the great unwritten British constitution, such as the Salisbury Convention, are.
    Drivel, Mr. Nabavi, pure drivel. Very unusual from you but drivel nonetheless.

Edited extra bit: You edited and added to your post after I replied.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940

JEO said:

You are rather confused about your history. A proper Conservative is someone who takes a pragmatic and realistic view. Cameron is bang in the centre of the great tradition of Conservative Prime Ministers, doing the best that can be done in the circumstances. Of course it's a bit of a fudge - most things in the great unwritten British constitution, such as the Salisbury Convention, are.
    So what's your definition of a 'proper Conservative' ?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Does anyone know what is happening re reversing the Lords amendment re 16 year olds voting in Local Elections?

Committee Stage in Commons was yesterday and I see no mention of it being reversed. One more day of Committee still to come but I can't see any sign of it on list of amendments.
  • Options
    ''I think the conclusion towards the end is sound: she is the kind of intelligent, credible, reassuring figure who could make Brexit seem a lot less "dangerous"

Not great for tories though. PM going head to head with his own Home Secretary. Ugly.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    taffys said:

Because there are two different scenarios where EV4EL may apply, and the current proposal only deals with one of those scenarios - that where there is a UK majority but not an English majority for a piece of legislation then the English PMs can 'Veto' it.

The scenario not covered by the proposal is that where there is a clear English majority in favour of something but not a UK majority, such as allowing fox hunting. The 'Veto' there doesn't work because it's the final vote (of all UK PMs) where the legislation will fail to pass.

The test would be could the Conservatives alone have got something through 2010-15, when they had an overall majority in England? A real English Parliament would also have allowed the Conservatives to propose legislation in England as the govt, even if in the UK they had been the opposition to a hypothetical rainbow coalition.
  • Options
    Not sure May would swing it for Out. But then, I've never especially rated her.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I think the conclusion towards the end is sound: she is the kind of intelligent, credible, reassuring figure who could make Brexit seem a lot less "dangerous"

Not great for tories though. PM going head to head with his own Home Secretary. Ugly.

Are "full and frank" debates only allowed within Labour xD ?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    That Harold Macmillan chap - he dismantled the Empire, so he certainly wasn't a proper Conservative. That R A Butler fellow must have been some kind of pinko, what with the 1944 Education Act and all that. Ted Heath was of course beyond the pale. Willie Whitelaw? Nah, far too wet. William Hague? No, he's a Cameroon.

Maggie, do I hear? What, the minister who presided over the closure of so many grammar schools?
  • Options

JEO said:

So what's your definition of a 'proper Conservative' ?
    Someone with principles to start with and as that knocks Cameron out there isn't much point, in the context of this discussion, in pushing further.

Anyway, I am glad you are on Mr. Jessop as I wanted to ask your advice. What do you know about outdoor clothing from a company called Regatta. I ask because there is a shop near me having a big sale and most of the Regatta stuff is being marked down by 50% (e.g. a pair of boots which was £90 is on offer for £45). I don't suppose I will ever do really serious walking again so I don't need top notch stuff, so do you think that the Regatta range will be suitable?
  • Options

That Harold Macmillan chap - he dismantled the Empire, so he certainly wasn't a proper Conservative. That R A Butler fellow must have been some kind of pinko, what with the 1944 Education Act and all that. Ted Heath was of course beyond the pale. Willie Whitelaw? Nah, far too wet. William Hague? No, he's a Cameroon.

Maggie, do I hear? What, the minister who presided over the closure of so many grammar schools?

Margaret Thatcher was certainly much more consistently conservative than David Cameron. I disagree with HurstLlama. David Cameron I think is instinctively conservative, but more in the respect that he would never want to upset the apple cart, rather than in pushing for conservative principles to be upheld.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Possible game-changer for the EU Referendum: Theresa May could back the "Out" campaign

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/is-theresa-may-gearing-up-to-lead-the-eu-no-campaign/

I think the conclusion towards the end is sound: she is the kind of intelligent, credible, reassuring figure who could make Brexit seem a lot less "dangerous".

If May backs the Out campaign, I think she would become favourite for the next Tory leader.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    As part of the Arsenal Spurs Euro love in

GET IN ERIKSEN 17/2!
  • Options
    Just seen a tweet Nuttall may take a run at Oldham.

Does this mean UKIP might fancy their chances?