Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How readers of the different national papers voted at GE2

SystemSystem Posts: 5,841
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How readers of the different national papers voted at GE2015

I love this chart which has just been produced by YouGov. It shows the splits of the readerships of the main national newspapers at the general election in May.

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 8,925
    First.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Second!
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2015
    The most notable thing about it is that The Sun's readership is the closest to the real British electoral distribution.

    The Guardian is the one read by a disproportionate number of extremists.
  • felixfelix Posts: 7,574
    The last sentence above is another proof that there is a very limited relationship between the numbers who post on any kind of social media about politics and the real world voters who decide elections.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 8,925
    Bury Council Election.

    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tories-triumph-bury-election-triggered-10318391

    Labour failed to hold seat. Perhaps voters were dismayed by reading that the former ward councillor was keeping images of children on his computer. On the other hand, the progressives for Corbyn might have sat on their hands.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 8,197
    edited October 2015
    Newspapers. I remember them. Are they still a thing?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    While the Independent has always been the LD house paper on 2010 many Guardian readers would have voted LD too while by 2015 they would be more likely to read the Times as the party moved from anti war social democracy to classical liberalism, a move Farron has swiftly ditched
  • William_HWilliam_H Posts: 316
    The Greens and Lib Dems = Broadsheets
    UKIP = Tabloids

    Interesting how that more or less trumps the political allegiance of the paper
  • JackWJackW Posts: 13,349
    GeoffM said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    MikeL said:

    Sandpit said:

    Afternoon all. With all the Lords shenanigans from the opposition parties, will we see see a few new Tory lords announced every week, until the rebellions stop?

    Almost certainly not - for starters they all have to go through the House of Lords Appointments Commission which will take months.

    And I think Cameron's hand is restricted to some degree - eg it was reported that he was only allowed 30 Con Peers in the recent list - not sure who by - Cabinet Secretary maybe?

    (He only ended up with 26 due to rejections).
    Repeal the appropriate part of the Act which expelled the hereditaries.
    That should produce a good block of pre-heated peers.
    Not quite sure that would get past the Lords .... :smile:

    Unfortunately not, but the quality of the many of the returning peers would remind us what we lost after Blair's constitutional vandalism.
    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 8,197
    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    MikeL said:

    Sandpit said:

    Afternoon all. With all the Lords shenanigans from the opposition parties, will we see see a few new Tory lords announced every week, until the rebellions stop?

    Almost certainly not - for starters they all have to go through the House of Lords Appointments Commission which will take months.

    And I think Cameron's hand is restricted to some degree - eg it was reported that he was only allowed 30 Con Peers in the recent list - not sure who by - Cabinet Secretary maybe?

    (He only ended up with 26 due to rejections).
    Repeal the appropriate part of the Act which expelled the hereditaries.
    That should produce a good block of pre-heated peers.
    Not quite sure that would get past the Lords .... :smile:

    Unfortunately not, but the quality of the many of the returning peers would remind us what we lost after Blair's constitutional vandalism.
    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.
    A retirement home for failed politicians and toadies is hardly an improvement.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 13,349

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JackWJackW Posts: 13,349
    Jonathan said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    MikeL said:

    Sandpit said:

    Afternoon all. With all the Lords shenanigans from the opposition parties, will we see see a few new Tory lords announced every week, until the rebellions stop?

    Almost certainly not - for starters they all have to go through the House of Lords Appointments Commission which will take months.

    And I think Cameron's hand is restricted to some degree - eg it was reported that he was only allowed 30 Con Peers in the recent list - not sure who by - Cabinet Secretary maybe?

    (He only ended up with 26 due to rejections).
    Repeal the appropriate part of the Act which expelled the hereditaries.
    That should produce a good block of pre-heated peers.
    Not quite sure that would get past the Lords .... :smile:

    Unfortunately not, but the quality of the many of the returning peers would remind us what we lost after Blair's constitutional vandalism.
    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.
    A retirement home for failed politicians and toadies is hardly an improvement.
    That's no way to talk about aged PB Tories .... :smile:
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 8,197
    JackW said:

    Jonathan said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    JackW said:

    GeoffM said:

    MikeL said:

    Sandpit said:

    Afternoon all. With all the Lords shenanigans from the opposition parties, will we see see a few new Tory lords announced every week, until the rebellions stop?

    Almost certainly not - for starters they all have to go through the House of Lords Appointments Commission which will take months.

    And I think Cameron's hand is restricted to some degree - eg it was reported that he was only allowed 30 Con Peers in the recent list - not sure who by - Cabinet Secretary maybe?

    (He only ended up with 26 due to rejections).
    Repeal the appropriate part of the Act which expelled the hereditaries.
    That should produce a good block of pre-heated peers.
    Not quite sure that would get past the Lords .... :smile:

    Unfortunately not, but the quality of the many of the returning peers would remind us what we lost after Blair's constitutional vandalism.
    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.
    A retirement home for failed politicians and toadies is hardly an improvement.
    That's no way to talk about aged PB Tories .... :smile:
    sorry m'lud.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 18,988
    JackW said:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Jack, you will be a Yes man soon
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 10,314
    I think, regarding UKIP and the Guardian, that's the wrong way of looking at it. It's not, 'how many Guardian readers vote UKIP,' but, 'how many UKIP voters read the Guardian?' It does seem entirely possible that some of UKIP's more fanatical followers read it simply so they can keep their levels of outrage up at the views expressed in it.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 8,584
    I voted Ukip and do occasionally look at the Guardian website. I suppose we could do with a bar for those who don't buy a newspaper at all.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 10,314
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.

    Should that not be 'descendants', Mr W? Or am I experiencing time backwards?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 5,521
    edited October 2015
    I don't read a newspaper, I haven't for years. I do read the bits that are pasted onto PB but most online stuff now is so infected with adverts and video clips that pages take forever to load .

    I mainly read headlines from BBC and Sky and what Google sends to my phone and more in depth if it draws my attention.

    The new BBC website is appalling, much worse than the old one, or is it because people are too thick to read and need a picture or video for everything?
  • JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,037
    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    I would have loved to see the Daily Record's split.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 7,366
    tlg86 said:

    I voted Ukip and do occasionally look at the Guardian website. I suppose we could do with a bar for those who don't buy a newspaper at all.

    Me too. Don't find it infuriates me particularly more than reading The Telegraph to be honest. I tend to have an opinion about the biases and editorial angles of whatever I read and I treat the contents in that light.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 13,349
    malcolmg said:

    JackW said:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack, you will be a Yes man soon

    Thank you .... but I far sooner push your most favoured root vegetable up my back orifice.

  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 4,316
    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    That's right. As soon as you stop reading a newspaper you see the light and realise that Corbyn is our True Saviour. FACT.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 43,189
    F1: qualifying could be delayed until Sunday morning due to rain (distant effects of a hurricane heading for Mexico). Due to the time zone, separate pre-qualifying and pre-race pieces may still be possible, but I'll have to see how things stand.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 4,316
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

    malcolmg said:

    JackW said:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack, you will be a Yes man soon
    Thank you .... but I far sooner push your most favoured root vegetable up my back orifice.Make sure the leaves are left on the outside. In case you change your mind and need something to tug on. Er. Could have phrased that better...
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 5,521
    edited October 2015
    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.


    Nonsense , for every Tory reader who dies, another one replaces him or her from the younger age group. Most people are more right wing as they age.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 18,988
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

    malcolmg said:

    JackW said:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack, you will be a Yes man soon
    Thank you .... but I far sooner push your most favoured root vegetable up my back orifice.



    I can forget dinner after that mental image, would you have some haggis and tatties as well to finish it off
  • JackWJackW Posts: 13,349
    ydoethur said:

    JackW said:

    Some PBers may have a vested in such a proposition but constitutionally I'm opposed to an arm of the legislature being formed by the ancestors of noble sheep rustlers and mistresses of the royal lines of the Plantagenets, Lancaster, York, Tudor and Stuarts.

    Should that not be 'descendants', Mr W? Or am I experiencing time backwards?
    Hereditary Time Lords. :smile:
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited October 2015
    Jim Pickard
    If the government didn't want journalists to scrutinise list of deals with China when would be a good time to release it? 6.24pm on Friday?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 18,988

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.


    Nonsense , for every Tory reader who dies, another one replaces him or her from the younger age group. Most people are more right wing as they age.
    Except in Scotland , where only Lib Dems are rarer
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 8,584

    tlg86 said:

    I voted Ukip and do occasionally look at the Guardian website. I suppose we could do with a bar for those who don't buy a newspaper at all.

    Me too. Don't find it infuriates me particularly more than reading The Telegraph to be honest. I tend to have an opinion about the biases and editorial angles of whatever I read and I treat the contents in that light.
    I look at both the Guardian and the Telegraph (and, if I'm feeling dirty, the Mail) just to see what each one is talking about.
  • Anorak said:

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    That's right. As soon as you stop reading a newspaper you see the light and realise that Corbyn is our True Saviour. FACT.
    I haven't bought a newspaper for several years.
    All I need is PB, Private Eye and Viz.

  • JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    I agree. Good use of Twitter is the sort of thing that wins elections.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    This is where Labour lost under EdM. He offered free owls. My Twitter feed clearly indicates that free kittens would've swung it for him.

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    I agree. Good use of Twitter is the sort of thing that wins elections.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

    Anorak said:

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    That's right. As soon as you stop reading a newspaper you see the light and realise that Corbyn is our True Saviour. FACT.
    I haven't bought a newspaper for several years.
    All I need is PB, Private Eye and Viz.

    I cannot claim the same amount of newspaper denial. I buy a newspaper, usually the Times or Telegraph, about twice or three times a month. Usually when I have to take a long bus or train journey.

    Other than that, the internet and web access is where I gather the news.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 5,521

    This is where Labour lost under EdM. He offered free owls. My Twitter feed clearly indicates that free kittens would've swung it for him.

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    I agree. Good use of Twitter is the sort of thing that wins elections.
    isn't twitter mainly a left wing love in..
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 14,804

    I don't read a newspaper, I haven't for years. I do read the bits that are pasted onto PB but most online stuff now is so infected with adverts and video clips that pages take forever to load .

    I mainly read headlines from BBC and Sky and what Google sends to my phone and more in depth if it draws my attention.

    The new BBC website is appalling, much worse than the old one, or is it because people are too thick to read and need a picture or video for everything?

    The move is to be more useful to people viewing news via phones partly I think. 50% of their visits according to a BBC blog.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2015
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 22,412

    This is where Labour lost under EdM. He offered free owls. My Twitter feed clearly indicates that free kittens would've swung it for him.

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    I agree. Good use of Twitter is the sort of thing that wins elections.
    isn't twitter mainly a left wing love in..
    Twitter is whatever you choose to follow. You can spend your time on it solely in the company of creationist gun lovers if you so desire.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 5,521
    rcs1000 said:

    This is where Labour lost under EdM. He offered free owls. My Twitter feed clearly indicates that free kittens would've swung it for him.

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    I agree. Good use of Twitter is the sort of thing that wins elections.
    isn't twitter mainly a left wing love in..
    Twitter is whatever you choose to follow. You can spend your time on it solely in the company of creationist gun lovers if you so desire.
    Yes I am sure you can, but its leftish in its readership.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 5,521

    I don't read a newspaper, I haven't for years. I do read the bits that are pasted onto PB but most online stuff now is so infected with adverts and video clips that pages take forever to load .

    I mainly read headlines from BBC and Sky and what Google sends to my phone and more in depth if it draws my attention.

    The new BBC website is appalling, much worse than the old one, or is it because people are too thick to read and need a picture or video for everything?

    The move is to be more useful to people viewing news via phones partly I think. 50% of their visits according to a BBC blog.
    Well, I think I will succumb to the Times.. my partner buys it a few times a week.. I wouldn't give the Barclay Bros a dime.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 36,517
    Twitter is awesome. This is why we laugh whenever a Zoomer says "It was on Wings..."

  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 36,517
    @nicholaswatt: Story: growing expectation in Whitehall @George_Osborne will soften impact of tax credit cuts in autumn statement https://t.co/1eyjk9Uiac
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Evening all.

    Presumably the poll is based on bought hardcopies, rather than the on-line version?

    Must admit I’ve not bought a paper in years and visit so many on-line news sites via PB that I’d be hard pushed to name a favourite. – Ignoring the Star which really should not qualify as reading material, Is the D’Express the least ‘linked to paper’ on PB.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 18,149

    F1: qualifying could be delayed until Sunday morning due to rain (distant effects of a hurricane heading for Mexico). Due to the time zone, separate pre-qualifying and pre-race pieces may still be possible, but I'll have to see how things stand.

    Start of P2 delayed indefinitely due to risk of lightning - will be even more of a washout than P1 was earlier. The whole weekend could be wet, in which case Red Bull and the safety car could be better value than usual.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 4,536
    Scott_P said:

    @nicholaswatt: Story: growing expectation in Whitehall @George_Osborne will soften impact of tax credit cuts in autumn statement https://t.co/1eyjk9Uiac

    I don't mind this as long as he sticks to the tax credit cuts and does something else to incentivise low earners - eg faster raising of Personal Allowance, or perhaps even better raising the starting point for NI which would help more people as it's lower.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 11,267
    Does the Indy have a significantly greater readership, proportinately in Wales and Scotland? Or there are people there who believe it's a Nationakist paper, from the name?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 8,197

    I don't read a newspaper, I haven't for years. I do read the bits that are pasted onto PB but most online stuff now is so infected with adverts and video clips that pages take forever to load .

    I mainly read headlines from BBC and Sky and what Google sends to my phone and more in depth if it draws my attention.

    The new BBC website is appalling, much worse than the old one, or is it because people are too thick to read and need a picture or video for everything?

    The move is to be more useful to people viewing news via phones partly I think. 50% of their visits according to a BBC blog.
    50% was two years ago.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 5,620

    Watson must have been all over this........
    Jonathan said:

    Newspapers. I remember them. Are they still a thing?

    Labour being electable, I remember that.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 17,815
    MikeL said:

    Scott_P said:

    @nicholaswatt: Story: growing expectation in Whitehall @George_Osborne will soften impact of tax credit cuts in autumn statement https://t.co/1eyjk9Uiac

    I don't mind this as long as he sticks to the tax credit cuts and does something else to incentivise low earners - eg faster raising of Personal Allowance, or perhaps even better raising the starting point for NI which would help more people as it's lower.
    That would be a double whammy on Labour - cutting tax and welfare - they would hate it.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

    Anorak said:

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    That's right. As soon as you stop reading a newspaper you see the light and realise that Corbyn is our True Saviour. FACT.
    I haven't bought a newspaper for several years.
    All I need is PB, Private Eye and Viz.

    Viz. A wonderful journal. I am tempted by their discrete Scotch transformation service:

    http://viz.co.uk/scotch-changes/
  • Anorak said:

    JWisemann said:

    It is clear quite how right wing newspaper readers are when compared with the population at large (once you take into account relative circulation). Which direction cause and effect are in is another matter (probably both!)
    This is why Corbyn neednt worry about newspaper coverage - the newspaper reading populace already overwhelmingly vote right wing and that wont change any time soon. Thankfully they are a dying breed.

    That's right. As soon as you stop reading a newspaper you see the light and realise that Corbyn is our True Saviour. FACT.
    I haven't bought a newspaper for several years.
    All I need is PB, Private Eye and Viz.

    Viz. A wonderful journal. I am tempted by their discrete Scotch transformation service:

    http://viz.co.uk/scotch-changes/
    In the current issue, there is a 6 page piece on Jeremy Corbyn.

    My favorite ever character was an 8-year-old wannabe tabloid hack called Daley Starr.
    At breakfast one morning he asked his mother if it was porridge for breakfast as usual.
    His mother replied that they were having sausages.
    He grabs his notebook and excitedly writes.
    "No oats for you! Saucy housewife in breakfast shocker!"
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 5,620
    JackW said:

    malcolmg said:

    JackW said:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951445/SNP-rejects-proposal-to-cut-short-remembrance-ceremony-forcing-plan-to-be-scrapped.html

    Plans to cut short remembrance ceremony scrapped after pressure from SNP
    The Scottish National Party was understood to be unhappy with plans to force opposition leaders to lay their wreaths together to keep veterans out of the cold
    My word.

    Yesterday I agreed with a comment by @malcolmg and today the SNP gets a nod from me.

    Nurse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack, you will be a Yes man soon
    Thank you .... but I far sooner push your most favoured root vegetable up my back orifice.



    Spoken like a true Lib Dem :-)
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 10,133
    chestnut said:

    The most notable thing about it is that The Sun's readership is the closest to the real British electoral distribution.

    The Guardian is the one read by a disproportionate number of extremists.

    As the Times of India once put it: "From the Manchester Guardian to the Madrassa Guardian".

  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 10,133
    Withering article in today's Times on Seamus Milne and Corbyn.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 36,517
    @SamCoatesTimes: Tonight at 10pm - The Times reveals the latest top Labour figure to quit
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 36,517
    @SamCoatesTimes: Lord Grabiner, the leading barrister, has quit Labour in the Lords over Corbyn because “I can’t square (staying) with my conscience”.
  • Lord Grabiner will always be a legend to Liverpool FC fans.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 10,133

    Lord Grabiner will always be a legend to Liverpool FC fans.

    I've worked with him on a number of cases. A fine lawyer and a nice person. No wonder he's left Labour.

  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

    Lord Grabiner will always be a legend to Liverpool FC fans.

    NPxMP won't remember him though.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 65,729
    edited October 2015
    Cyclefree said:

    Lord Grabiner will always be a legend to Liverpool FC fans.

    I've worked with him on a number of cases. A fine lawyer and a nice person. No wonder he's left Labour.

    I've met him professionally once, impressive chap.

    Corbynites will hate him as Rupert Murdoch appointed him to run the News International's internal inquiry into phone hacking.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2015

    Cyclefree said:

    Lord Grabiner will always be a legend to Liverpool FC fans.

    I've worked with him on a number of cases. A fine lawyer and a nice person. No wonder he's left Labour.

    I've met him professionally once, impressive chap.

    Corbynites will hate him as Rupert Murdoch appointed him to run the News International's internal inquiry into phone hacking.
    Key thing is both those who have left are lords who have never stood for parliament or had any major role in Labour, and for the past few years working for the Tory government or right wing affiliates, so yes that will be why it won't have any impact.
  • I'd never heard of Lord Grabiner so did half a minute's Googling.

    "Lord Anthony Grabiner has joined Goldman Sachs International as a non-exec."

    "In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal.[8][9] It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.[10]"

    Someone must realise that the reason Corbyn got elected is because people are fed up of being run by Goldman Sachs non-execs and News Corporation advisers.
  • I heard on Radio 4 earlier that Labour Peers weren't being forced to support the Tax Credit Fatal Motion...can't see it being reported elsewhere . Was the report not accurate?
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2015
    MP_SE said:
    He has a lot of it, but has very high spending, he spent 1/7th of all his campaign money on ads in Iowa and N.Hampshire for the past month, only to watch his poll numbers drop further.

    By the way in the wake of Carson beating Trump in Iowa for 2 straight polls now, I'm revising my chances for the GOP nomination to Trump 50% Carson 50%.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 36,517

    I heard on Radio 4 earlier that Labour Peers weren't being forced to support the Tax Credit Fatal Motion...can't see it being reported elsewhere . Was the report not accurate?

    The fatal motion is Lib Dem. Labour have a separate plan
  • Scott_P said:

    I heard on Radio 4 earlier that Labour Peers weren't being forced to support the Tax Credit Fatal Motion...can't see it being reported elsewhere . Was the report not accurate?

    The fatal motion is Lib Dem. Labour have a separate plan
    Yes, I know.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 10,133

    I'd never heard of Lord Grabiner so did half a minute's Googling.

    "Lord Anthony Grabiner has joined Goldman Sachs International as a non-exec."

    "In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal.[8][9] It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.[10]"

    Someone must realise that the reason Corbyn got elected is because people are fed up of being run by Goldman Sachs non-execs and News Corporation advisers.

    Suggest you do a bit more research. I have known and worked with him since 1985. He is a fine, decent person who, like others, cannot abide the Labour Party turning itself into the Marxist left allied with religious fascists of every stripe.

    The reason Corbyn was elected is because those who voted for him either turned a blind eye to his morally repulsive view or voted for him because they supported it or because they were too lazy or stupid or unwilling to find out what he really stood for.
  • Lord Grabiner told The Times: “I have nothing in common whatever with Mr Corbyn — and I don’t believe we are ever going to win an election.”

    He said that he was particularly concerned about Mr Corbyn’s decision to appoint John McDonnell as his shadow chancellor. “I am concerned with the economic stuff; I am really concerned with the shadow chancellor,” he said.

    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4595057.ece
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Speedy said:

    MP_SE said:
    He has a lot of it, but has very high spending, he spent 1/7th of all his campaign money on ads in Iowa and N.Hampshire for the past month, only to watch his poll numbers drop further.

    By the way in the wake of Carson beating Trump in Iowa for 2 straight polls now, I'm revising my chances for the GOP nomination to Trump 50% Carson 50%.
    It is difficult to see how it could be anyone other than Trump or Carson.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 5,620
    Cyclefree said:

    I'd never heard of Lord Grabiner so did half a minute's Googling.

    "Lord Anthony Grabiner has joined Goldman Sachs International as a non-exec."

    "In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal.[8][9] It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.[10]"

    Someone must realise that the reason Corbyn got elected is because people are fed up of being run by Goldman Sachs non-execs and News Corporation advisers.

    Suggest you do a bit more research. I have known and worked with him since 1985. He is a fine, decent person who, like others, cannot abide the Labour Party turning itself into the Marxist left allied with religious fascists of every stripe.

    The reason Corbyn was elected is because those who voted for him either turned a blind eye to his morally repulsive view or voted for him because they supported it or because they were too lazy or stupid or unwilling to find out what he really stood for.
    Wonder where NPXMP fits in there .....
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,075
    Speedy said:

    MP_SE said:
    He has a lot of it, but has very high spending, he spent 1/7th of all his campaign money on ads in Iowa and N.Hampshire for the past month, only to watch his poll numbers drop further.

    By the way in the wake of Carson beating Trump in Iowa for 2 straight polls now, I'm revising my chances for the GOP nomination to Trump 50% Carson 50%.
    Yes, Jeb has by far the highest burn rate of GOP candidates, Trump has by far the lowest.
  • eekeek Posts: 1,997
    Cyclefree said:

    I'd never heard of Lord Grabiner so did half a minute's Googling.

    "Lord Anthony Grabiner has joined Goldman Sachs International as a non-exec."

    "In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal.[8][9] It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.[10]"

    Someone must realise that the reason Corbyn got elected is because people are fed up of being run by Goldman Sachs non-execs and News Corporation advisers.

    Suggest you do a bit more research. I have known and worked with him since 1985. He is a fine, decent person who, like others, cannot abide the Labour Party turning itself into the Marxist left allied with religious fascists of every stripe.

    The reason Corbyn was elected is because those who voted for him either turned a blind eye to his morally repulsive view or voted for him because they supported it or because they were too lazy or stupid or unwilling to find out what he really stood for.
    Or he was the only candidate who didn't diminish / fall apart during the campaign. Granted may not be the best leader of the labour party but he was (to most people) the best of an incredibly awful set of options.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    'Give us a leader with brawn as well as brains.' We used to have macho leaders like Edward 1st, Henry Vth and Henry VIII but have not had one since Margaret Thatcher
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/dan-jones-give-us-a-leader-with-brawn-as-well-as-brains-a3097556.html
  • Flabbergasted that the Sunil on Sunday hasn't been mentioned in this thread :(
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    Speedy said:

    MP_SE said:
    He has a lot of it, but has very high spending, he spent 1/7th of all his campaign money on ads in Iowa and N.Hampshire for the past month, only to watch his poll numbers drop further.

    By the way in the wake of Carson beating Trump in Iowa for 2 straight polls now, I'm revising my chances for the GOP nomination to Trump 50% Carson 50%.
    Carson may win Iowa, but Trump is likely to then win NH and he has far more money and resources to blitz the remaining states and Super Tuesday
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    edited October 2015
    Carson's latest TV ad (He has quite a smooth, gentle manner of speaking, in contrast to Trump)
  • It's a nice irony that Murdoch, hate-figure of the left, is the proprietor of the last remaining good-quality, non-partisan general newspaper in the UK. (OK, there's also the FT, but that's more a business, and in particular European big-business, paper).
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited October 2015

    It's a nice irony that Murdoch, hate-figure of the left, is the proprietor of the last remaining good-quality, non-partisan general newspaper in the UK. (OK, there's also the FT, but that's more a business, and in particular European big-business, paper).

    Non-partisan ? The Sun or the lower quality The Times ?

    Personally, I have more faith in the pro-business FT.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,075
    Regarding Hillary -

    yesterday she did what she had to do. Politically she did well. She told the same half truths and untruths she has done all along, brushing aside all her contradictions. About the only thing we discovered was that we now know for a fact that she lied about the video, thanks to her emails. The Benghazi committee is the least of her worries.

    One thing that went without comment was that FBI Director Comey also was testifying on Capitol Hill yesterday. He was asked about the Hillary investigation, and said he was following it closely, and receiving daily briefings on progress. There are reportedly 25 special agents involved full time. For an investigation into an individual that is a very big team.

    So we know at least 25 pairs of eyes will be analyzing every word she said in her testimony yesterday.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Hillary must be praying for either.

    What if it was Barney vs Carson ?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    surbiton said:

    It's a nice irony that Murdoch, hate-figure of the left, is the proprietor of the last remaining good-quality, non-partisan general newspaper in the UK. (OK, there's also the FT, but that's more a business, and in particular European big-business, paper).

    Non-partisan ? The Sun or the lower quality The Times ?

    Personally, I have more faith in the pro-business FT.
    The FT is pro European and business orientated, the Times is probably the most balanced of the major national papers, having backed Labour and the Tories twice since 2001 and being less anti immigration and populist than the Sun, the Independent is also reasonably impartial but is generally centre left
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

    I'd never heard of Lord Grabiner so did half a minute's Googling.

    "Lord Anthony Grabiner has joined Goldman Sachs International as a non-exec."

    "In July 2011, Grabiner was appointed by News Corporation as chairman of the management and standards committee established by the company in the wake of the News International phone hacking scandal.[8][9] It was subsequently reported in The Lawyer magazine that Grabiner would be receiving a fee of £3,000 an hour for his advice to News Corporation.[10]"

    Someone must realise that the reason Corbyn got elected is because people are fed up of being run by Goldman Sachs non-execs and News Corporation advisers.

    Suggest you do a bit more research. I have known and worked with him since 1985. He is a fine, decent person who, like others, cannot abide the Labour Party turning itself into the Marxist left allied with religious fascists of every stripe.

    The reason Corbyn was elected is because those who voted for him either turned a blind eye to his morally repulsive view or voted for him because they supported it or because they were too lazy or stupid or unwilling to find out what he really stood for.
    Who is he ? Well looks like he was advising Murdoch. OUT !!!
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

    Carson's latest TV ad (He has quite a smooth, gentle manner of speaking, in contrast to Trump)

    Carson was the one I identified way back in February I think, as having great chances due to his way of making even the most absurd statement sound articulated and logical.

    He has the evangelical vote in the bag now, which makes him a very strong contender for the nomination, before I gave him a 20% chance with Trump getting 80%, now I say it's 50/50 between them.
    Given that he's still on 12/1 on the betting markets it's a great bet if only a tradeable one for now.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2015
    surbiton said:

    Hillary must be praying for either.

    What if it was Barney vs Carson ?

    If it's Carson then Hillary is toast.
    Don't forget Carson is the cool black guy that does great speeches and Hillary doesn't fare well against those and the polls show it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    edited October 2015
    surbiton said:

    Hillary must be praying for either.

    What if it was Barney vs Carson ?

    Other than Rubio I think Carson would be her most dangerous opponent (and polling reflects that) but I can't see either beating Trump for the nomination. Carson would beat Sanders, Trump maybe not
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Tim_B said:

    Regarding Hillary -

    yesterday she did what she had to do. Politically she did well. She told the same half truths and untruths she has done all along, brushing aside all her contradictions. About the only thing we discovered was that we now know for a fact that she lied about the video, thanks to her emails. The Benghazi committee is the least of her worries.

    One thing that went without comment was that FBI Director Comey also was testifying on Capitol Hill yesterday. He was asked about the Hillary investigation, and said he was following it closely, and receiving daily briefings on progress. There are reportedly 25 special agents involved full time. For an investigation into an individual that is a very big team.

    So we know at least 25 pairs of eyes will be analyzing every word she said in her testimony yesterday.

    Hillary Clinton comes across as not only untrustworthy but also sleazy. Everything about her stinks, from the Clinton Foundation through to the use of a private email server.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    surbiton said:

    It's a nice irony that Murdoch, hate-figure of the left, is the proprietor of the last remaining good-quality, non-partisan general newspaper in the UK. (OK, there's also the FT, but that's more a business, and in particular European big-business, paper).

    Non-partisan ? The Sun or the lower quality The Times ?

    Personally, I have more faith in the pro-business FT.
    Indeed the non partisan Sun...well only after year dot in 2009 heh?

    https://www.google.co.uk/search q=union+leader+tears+up+the+sun+newspaper&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB624GB624&hl=en-GB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAmoVChMI5ragms7ZyAIVR1gUCh3GKwTv&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=9IlpcjAsvfERJM%3A
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    Speedy said:

    HYUFD said:

    Carson's latest TV ad (He has quite a smooth, gentle manner of speaking, in contrast to Trump)

    Carson was the one I identified way back in February I think, as having great chances due to his way of making even the most absurd statement sound articulated and logical.

    He has the evangelical vote in the bag now, which makes him a very strong contender for the nomination, before I gave him a 20% chance with Trump getting 80%, now I say it's 50/50 between them.
    Given that he's still on 12/1 on the betting markets it's a great bet if only a tradeable one for now.
    The evangelical vote will help him in Iowa, but I cannot see him beating Trump in more libertarian New Hampshire, nor in big states like Texas, Illinois, New York, California and Florida where Trump's ad buy will swamp him
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 18,311
    edited October 2015
    I see that, as well as Lord Grabiner, we need to add Arnie Graf, Suzanne Moore and Robert Harris to the ever-lengthening list of those to be purged as the Blairite-Milibandite-Kendallite-Danczukist-Mandelsonian-Rightist-Counter-Revolutionary Bloc:

    http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/arnie-graf-corbynmania-feels-like-student-politics-not-people-trying-to-form-a-government/

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11951866/Exclusive-Jeremy-Corbyns-millionaire-spin-doctor-Seumas-Milne-sent-his-children-to-top-grammar-schools.html
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,075
    Jeb's campaign making large cuts, including staff firings, canceling fund raisers and cutting 45% of its budget
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Speedy said:

    surbiton said:

    Hillary must be praying for either.

    What if it was Barney vs Carson ?

    If it's Carson then Hillary is toast.
    Don't forget Carson is the cool black guy that does great speeches and Hillary doesn't fare well against those and the polls show it.
    If Carson becomes the GOP candidate what would the Timothy McVeighs of the US of A do ?
    Since half the GOP voters are probably racist, Hillary wins.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 41,640
    Speedy said:

    surbiton said:

    Hillary must be praying for either.

    What if it was Barney vs Carson ?

    If it's Carson then Hillary is toast.
    Don't forget Carson is the cool black guy that does great speeches and Hillary doesn't fare well against those and the polls show it.
    I wouldn't go that far but he would certainly be a tough opponent, however he seems a bit too laidback for me to actually win
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Did I miss the Congressional hearings on the 280 Marines who were killed in the Lebanon due to incompetence ?
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    MP_SE said:

    Tim_B said:

    Regarding Hillary -

    yesterday she did what she had to do. Politically she did well. She told the same half truths and untruths she has done all along, brushing aside all her contradictions. About the only thing we discovered was that we now know for a fact that she lied about the video, thanks to her emails. The Benghazi committee is the least of her worries.

    One thing that went without comment was that FBI Director Comey also was testifying on Capitol Hill yesterday. He was asked about the Hillary investigation, and said he was following it closely, and receiving daily briefings on progress. There are reportedly 25 special agents involved full time. For an investigation into an individual that is a very big team.

    So we know at least 25 pairs of eyes will be analyzing every word she said in her testimony yesterday.

    Hillary Clinton comes across as not only untrustworthy but also sleazy. Everything about her stinks, from the Clinton Foundation through to the use of a private email server.
    But she's a woman, and she's running to be the first female President not necessarily a good President, and women voters vote for her because of that.
    Hillary's only danger is if she alienates men so much she loses way more men than she gains women, something that I call the Gillard trap. Yvette Cooper also fell into that trap early on and never recovered.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    HYUFD said:

    surbiton said:

    It's a nice irony that Murdoch, hate-figure of the left, is the proprietor of the last remaining good-quality, non-partisan general newspaper in the UK. (OK, there's also the FT, but that's more a business, and in particular European big-business, paper).

    Non-partisan ? The Sun or the lower quality The Times ?

    Personally, I have more faith in the pro-business FT.
    The FT is pro European and business orientated, the Times is probably the most balanced of the major national papers, having backed Labour and the Tories twice since 2001 and being less anti immigration and populist than the Sun, the Independent is also reasonably impartial but is generally centre left
    The Indy's headlines on the web are consistently misleading. The articles are mostly anti-Tory and anti-monarchy.
    It's a measure of British tolerance that a former KGB agent can own a newspaper which seeks, by its contributors, to undermine the UK head of state.

Sign In or Register to comment.