Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2016 should be the Republicans’ year for the White House

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited October 2015

Sandpit said:

Some light lunchtime reading while at the cricket.
    Or - if I want to be political about it - another almighty Scottish police balls up with ten people killed.
    https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aircraft-accident-report-aar-3-2015-g-spao-29-november-2013

I've only skimmed the report, but I'm not sure you can blame the Scottish police force. From the findings section:

1. The pilot was properly licensed and qualified to conduct the flight, and was well rested.
    2. The helicopter was certified, equipped and maintained in accordance with existing regulations and approved procedures.

If the pilot was qualified, licensed and rested, and the equipment was fine, I'm not sure it can be put down to an error that the force could have foreseen or prevented.
    Yes, the overly political point was half in jest. A very weird accident, with unfortunately nothing much to go on for the investigators. Why the pilot allowed the helo to run out of fuel will unfortunately never be known.

I was totally surprised that the recommendations about police helos having flight recorders were not already mandatory, given their propensity for operations in unfavourable conditions over populated areas.

In the PPL course for small planes fuel endurance is drummed into you, in helos it's even more important for obvious reasons. My guess is that he thought the roof of the bar was an empty lot where could force a landing, or that he was aiming for the adjacent road junction. With 20/20 hindsight his best option would have been to put it in the Clyde, but that's mentally very difficult to do.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Mr. Isam, I don't smoke, but meat is delicious, particularly that from a pig. Bacon, ham, gammon, pork, all from one animal! Huzzah for pigs!

The puritans will get a slap if they try and take my sausage away.

Yeah I agree bacon etc tastes nice, I like burgers too... But I gave them up...

I have probably eaten a lifetimes quota already anyway to be fair
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Herdson, I'd reference your many submissions for this site, and perhaps get a line from Mr. Smithson about what you bring to the table as a writer. Having well-received articles for a major site such as this will undoubtedly help establish your credibility as something whose writing is worth having.

Don't know if you'd need an agent for getting a magazine gig (whether on an article-by-article or regular basis).
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, most burgers come from cows ;)

Venison burgers are delicious, however.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    I always presumed that Agincourt was pronounced with a silent 't' at the end (being French). But this presenter...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34618445

pronounces the 't'. Which is the correct pronunciation?

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Hasn't Mr Rentoul said nice things about @david_herdson too? That'd be a great endorsement for the CV. And of course @SeanT given he used to blog for the DT as well.

Mr. Herdson, I'd reference your many submissions for this site, and perhaps get a line from Mr. Smithson about what you bring to the table as a writer. Having well-received articles for a major site such as this will undoubtedly help establish your credibility as something whose writing is worth having.

Don't know if you'd need an agent for getting a magazine gig (whether on an article-by-article or regular basis).

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. Hopkins, never heard that pronunciation before, and I'd be inclined to ignore it.

Edited extra bit: good thinking, Miss Plato.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Or - if I want to be political about it - another almighty Scottish police balls up with ten people killed.
    https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aircraft-accident-report-aar-3-2015-g-spao-29-november-2013

I've only skimmed the report, but I'm not sure you can blame the Scottish police force. From the findings section:

1. The pilot was properly licensed and qualified to conduct the flight, and was well rested.
    2. The helicopter was certified, equipped and maintained in accordance with existing regulations and approved procedures.

If the pilot was qualified, licensed and rested, and the equipment was fine, I'm not sure it can be put down to an error that the force could have foreseen or prevented.
    Yes, the overly political point was half in jest. A very weird accident, with unfortunately nothing much to go on for the investigators. Why the pilot allowed the helo to run out of fuel will unfortunately never be known.

I was totally surprised that the recommendations about police helos having flight recorders were not already mandatory, given their propensity for operations in unfavourable conditions over populated areas.

In the PPL course for small planes fuel endurance is drummed into you, in helos it's even more important for obvious reasons. My guess is that he thought the roof of the bar was an empty lot where could force a landing, or that he was aiming for the adjacent road junction. With 20/20 hindsight his best option would have been to put it in the Clyde, but that's mentally very difficult to do.
    He ignored the low fuel warning for 16 minutes , he could have landed in Edinburgh in that time.
  • Options
    Be interested in @Cyclefree / @Sean_F here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11951936/Our-top-judges-have-become-too-powerful-we-need-to-rein-them-in.html
    There is a vacancy just now for the chairmanship of the Judicial Appointments Commission. The position is always held, says the advertisement, by a layman. I’m thinking of applying. It matters who our top judges are, so I’d like to help. In this age of transparency, diversity and anti-elitism, it should be no disadvantage that I know nothing about the law.

Besides, because of the Human Rights Act by which the first Blair government made the European Convention of Human Rights part of our law, the judges’ job has changed. They are no longer solely learned people who uphold English precedent, process and legal principles. They are now empowered to impose theoretical ideas of universal rights upon the decisions of the elected government.
  • Options

Mr. Moses, well, quite.

I do wonder if someone's going to point out we do need this 'food' business to live.

And we're going to die from something someday. Very few people just pass away in their sleep from old age.

I'm bored stiff with it.

When I was a kid it was 'go to work on an egg', then eggs were dangerous, now they are OK again.

Lot of bollocks and no-one really knows, though eating sensible is common sense. Having said that I have four siblings and I am the only salad dodger of us all, and I am the only one in reasonable health!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Cheers for the advice. And yes, in a modest way, I probably have a reasonable reputation and a verifiable record.

I think the question is more the practicalities of how one gets a 'magazine gig', and for what sorts of publishers?

I'm afraid I have to go out now so can't respond either to this or to comments on the main thread but will try and pick them up later, if the thread's still going.

Many thanks for all the advice already.
  • Options
    Mr. England, I just try not to overdo any particular kind of food, to eat relatively little and avoid snacks.

All the time things are good, then bad, then dangerous, then good for us after all. And you have meddlesome puritans and those with an agenda who want to restrict this, tax that and promote the other. Interfering busybodies.
  • Options
    And then potatoes were dangerous. I ignore all of it. Faddy beyond belief. If Martians read all these health scares, they'd be wondering why the human race wasn't extinct.

Mr. Moses, well, quite.

I do wonder if someone's going to point out we do need this 'food' business to live.

And we're going to die from something someday. Very few people just pass away in their sleep from old age.

I'm bored stiff with it.

When I was a kid it was 'go to work on an egg', then eggs were dangerous, now they are OK again.

Lot of bollocks and no-one really knows, though eating sensible is common sense. Having said that I have four siblings and I am the only salad dodger of us all, and I am the only one in reasonable health!
  • Options

Mr. England, I just try not to overdo any particular kind of food, to eat relatively little and avoid snacks.

All the time things are good, then bad, then dangerous, then good for us after all. And you have meddlesome puritans and those with an agenda who want to restrict this, tax that and promote the other. Interfering busybodies.

My downfall is Wine Gums or Fruit Pastilles, particularly the M&S ones which are sublime.

I have cut down on them, but am always tempted. I am about to join a gym near me, I am disabled and can't run but can use the exercise bike, which I intend to do.

If BJO is looking in at some point, I would like to wish you all the best. Although we are adversaries as such on here I would not wish the kind of year you have had on anyone, take care my friend and all the best.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    F1: final practice is scheduled for 3-4pm, but it may be rained off, and, if not, qualifying may be delayed to Sunday morning (and the qualifying/race may be rained off).

My aim is to be online around 3-4pm, and decide how to proceed with betting and articles then. The timing of the pre-qualifying piece may be especially odd this weekend.

Edited extra bit: Mr. England, good to hear. I use an exercise bike at home, but not much due to it being somewhat tortuous (despite being relatively thin I'm not fit), and a bad habit of developing an octogenarian's left hip if I overdo it. Do take it easy, early on at least.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    For breakfast I deep fried a sausage wrapped in bacon and coated with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. – I’ve dubbed it the #upyoursfoodyfascists
  • Options
    :lol:

For breakfast I deep fried a sausage wrapped in bacon and coated with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. – I’ve dubbed it the #upyoursfoodyfascists

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

He ignored the low fuel warning for 16 minutes , he could have landed in Edinburgh in that time.
    Not quite, but he was only a couple of minutes' flying time away from his base.

I'll reply in more detail once I've read the whole thing (200 pages) but my initial reaction at the time was what pressure was brought to bear on a professional pilot such that he would forget the basics? The other scenario is some form of medical incapacitation that led to him not being 100% in control. Very sad for all involved though, police forces across the country should implement FDRs, CVRs and cameras in short order before a similar tragedy happens again.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923
    Regarding the article, I would reckon that Rubio's chances of beating Hillary are greater than 50%, and may be as high as 75%. This makes him too short on the Republican nomination, and too long on the Presidency.

Take the 7/1, sell the 2/1.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

I always presumed that Agincourt was pronounced with a silent 't' at the end (being French). But this presenter...

It's probably well enough established to have an English pronunciation. After all no one says Vaterlo for Waterloo. And to pronounce it properly you would have to say Azhuhncoor, and in any case the town is now called Azincourt I believe.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Moses_ said:

Another day another cancer warning. Some of the comments are quite funny one of the best being

"soon we will see people huddled outside pubs in the rain passing around sausages"

TBH ...... I thought that was a normal British bar b que in summer.....

'If people can avoid it, they should': Now cancer expert warns Britons to cut out processed meat altogether amid fears bacon and sausages are as dangerous as cigarettes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3287174/If-people-avoid-should.html#ixzz3pTXnDlbv

Please don't ask why, but I have been reading the DM online regularly this last week. It has been sausages, choclolate, more sausages, "the following meats..." (didn't click through), and today more processed meats.

There really doesn't seem to be anything that doesn't give you cancer according to the Daily Mail Research Scientist in Chief
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

But why only one?

And why was it not dipped in Ketchup?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

DavidL said:

On topic I think Hillary is a strong candidate. She has been around the Washington scene for a long time, she has been a senator and Secretary of State, she knows exactly how the White House works and she is very smart.

She doesn't have the speechmaking capability of her husband or Obama but frankly, as Obama has shown the ability to make a brilliant speech is not a sufficient or even one of the more important characteristics of a President.

The Republican side is more problematic. Trump is a joke but he is distorting the field. I think Rubio is a strong candidate and if he makes it to the nomination Hillary will have her work cut out although being potentially the first female President, Obama style, should see her home.

Do you have any polling evidence to back up those assertions?

If Hillary is such a strong candidate, why are her ratings negative and why have they been heading down in the medium term?

Likewise, if Trump is a joke, why has he led the Republican field for three months now? Isn't that long enough for one of the multitude of his opponents to score a wounding hit?
    These are my opinions but Hillary is cantering away with the democratic ticket, pretty much nailed on.

Trump, well his views speak for themselves as does his behaviour. We saw a whole number of these types of candidates the last time out. I vaguely remember the pizza guy. Each came and went and the republicans eventually chose a professional, albeit a dull one. I don't believe that the Trump bubble will last.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Mr. Moses, well, quite.

I think some time in the future our great grandchildren will look back at these days and think how quaint it was that people didn't plan for the kind of death they preferred by choosing the appropriate lifestyle - diet, drugs, extreme sports etc.

We all wait for the roulette wheel to come up with cancer, dementia, stroke, heart attack, fatal accident etc but do little to deliberately influence it. No doubt different people have different preferences and could steer themselves in the preferred direction with sufficent information and support. I can imagine doctors in years to come being death planners and helping you more effectively plan your path to the grave.

I'm just trying to be cheerful on this rather grey Saturday.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

Another day another cancer warning. Some of the comments are quite funny one of the best being

"soon we will see people huddled outside pubs in the rain passing around sausages"

'If people can avoid it, they should': Now cancer expert warns Britons to cut out processed meat altogether amid fears bacon and sausages are as dangerous as cigarettes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3287174/If-people-avoid-should.html#ixzz3pTXnDlbv

Please don't ask why, but I have been reading the DM online regularly this last week. It has been sausages, choclolate, more sausages, "the following meats..." (didn't click through), and today more processed meats.

There really doesn't seem to be anything that doesn't give you cancer according to the Daily Mail Research Scientist in Chief
    The mindset that led people to ban Christmas and maypoles as sinful has never gone away, even if the targets have changed.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The Sleeper is perfect here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fYguIX17Q
    MattW said:

But why only one?

• Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91

I was always told to pronounce it fearlessly and confidently in the English fashion, with a hard T at the end. That is - Ajj - inn - cortt. The logic was that the French call it Azincourt anyway so why be fake?

I recognise this is probably counter cultural now. My parents knew an old colonial Governor who pronounced lots of overseas towns in English fashion, such as Mar-saylz (with a z) for Marseille but that's gone. A few centuries earlier we would have said Cales (to rhyme with Wales) for Calais too. Only the most frequently used foreign towns and cities keep their English versions now: Paris, Rome, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    A quick 50 for Hafeez tilting the balance back towards the hosts. Pak 83/2
    Edit: but we got him next ball. 83/3, game on.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just swung back again!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

My guess is that he thought the low fuel warning was a false alarm, since there had been some recent incidents, mentioned in the report, where the fuel gauge gave a false reading due to contaminated fuel.

This doesn't explain why he didn't report the false alarm over the radio, but makes more sense than him just ignoring the alarm for no reason.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Sandpit said:

Just swung back again!
    Still a long way ahead. Only half way through the allotted time.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Moses_ said:

The mindset that led people to ban Christmas and maypoles as sinful has never gone away, even if the targets have changed.
    Problem is that life itself gives you cancer! Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Sandpit said:

My guess is that he thought the low fuel warning was a false alarm, since there had been some recent incidents, mentioned in the report, where the fuel gauge gave a false reading due to contaminated fuel.

This doesn't explain why he didn't report the false alarm over the radio, but makes more sense than him just ignoring the alarm for no reason.
    x5 wasn't it (low fuel alarms)?

I mean that is a lot of low fuel alarms to ignore for whatever reason, be it thinking it is a fault, or that you will manage to make it back.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Watching the Plaid Conference and an impressively pugnacious speech from Nicola Sturgeon gives the shape of things to come in May next year.

Fascinating analysis of the contrasting fortunes of the two parties and in particular how Plaid in Wales outpolled the SNP in Scotland in the first devolved elections of 1999.

What happened since? It is difficult to resist the conclusion since everything else was identical at UK level, and Labour in Wales have hardly set the heather on fire, that the key difference is that the SNP were led over most of the last 16 years by a politician of genius.
  • Options

If BJO is looking in at some point, I would like to wish you all the best. Although we are adversaries as such on here I would not wish the kind of year you have had on anyone, take care my friend and all the best.

I've seen something about this on a dip in earlier; what’s happened to Mr O? Sounds very nasty.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2015
    MattW said:

But why only one?

It has to be HP sauce anything else is pure abuse of the great British sausage.

As for bacon they can't possibly get rid of this. How else will Uni students be got out of bed at lunchtime after the night before.
  • Options
    I think it's fascinating that McDonald's are so bogged down by stupid scare stories that they've undertaken a massive advertising campaign to prove that their fries are actually made from potatoes.

Domino's did one a few years ago re the quality of their products - it worked as they addressed the quality issues head on.
    Moses_ said:

MattW said:

But why only one?

As for bacon they can't possibly get rid of this. How else will Uni students be got out of bed at lunchtime after the night before.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mr. Moses, well, quite.

I think some time in the future our great grandchildren will look back at these days and think how quaint it was that people didn't plan for the kind of death they preferred by choosing the appropriate lifestyle - diet, drugs, extreme sports etc.

We all wait for the roulette wheel to come up with cancer, dementia, stroke, heart attack, fatal accident etc but do little to deliberately influence it. No doubt different people have different preferences and could steer themselves in the preferred direction with sufficent information and support. I can imagine doctors in years to come being death planners and helping you more effectively plan your path to the grave.

I'm just trying to be cheerful on this rather grey Saturday.
    Indeed. I have always been a live life to the full perhaps with an agreement it may not be as long as one may have had. I'm pretty satisfied with the way it has gone to date. I suppose that will be heresy to some but the old adage goes "this isn't a dress rehearsal."

On that cheerful note I am off for a bacon buttie ( sarnie) with HP sauce.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

x5 wasn't it (low fuel alarms)?

I mean that is a lot of low fuel alarms to ignore for whatever reason, be it thinking it is a fault, or that you will manage to make it back.
    But he "knew" he had fuel left, they took 73kg out of a fuel tank after all. The question is really why the tank transfer switches were in the wrong place. Given the pilot's >5000 hours the chances are that he wasn't 100% sure of was happening around him. Am surprised that the others on the helo didn't say anything as they were about to crash though!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Mr. Moses, well, quite.

I gave a talk to a Chinese group recently on what we teach kids about life, and one asked why we treated sex education differently from smoking - surely we should be trying to promote abstinence in both cases? I gently suggested that total abstinence from the former might have undesirable consequences for the human race.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Never heard of anyone dying from second-hand bacon eating.

Of course if you're setting light to your sausage...

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    scotslass said:

SNIP

Given that he got the chance of a lifetime, the date he wanted, the mandate he wanted and the question he wanted, and fked it up, the only reasonable conclusion we can draw is that the SNP were led by a numpty of epic proportions
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

Sandpit said:

Though I would expect the procedure after such a false alarm to be return to base, or get down on the ground safely as quickly as possible. Not ignore it.

It's surprisingly how long it takes for relatively simple diagnostic mechanisms to go into aviation: the industry seems to be massively advanced, but also rather backwards. Pilots argued against (and even went on strike over) cockpit voice recorders, until a series of crashes occurred where they would have been useful. Now pilots are dead-set against cockpit video recorders, even where those recorders would be pointing at the controls only. Voice and data recorders only cover a limited time period - if the ones from MH370 are ever found, they might not even have the relevant data on them.

The arguments for and against are detailed here:
    http://www.wired.com/2014/07/malaysia-370-cockpit-camera/

Why don't air ambulanes and police helicopters carry CVR's? And do they carry data recorder?s
  • Options

I think it's fascinating that McDonald's are so bogged down by stupid scare stories that they've undertaken a massive advertising campaign to prove that their fries are actually made from potatoes.

Domino's did one a few years ago re the quality of their products - it worked as they addressed the quality issues head on.

Moses_ said:

MattW said:

But why only one?

It's no doubt that the fast foods have led to more obesity in the younger generation but the restaurants are always busy. I did think it had gone too far though when I was working in the States a few years back.

On way to work I used to drive past a " dunkin doughnuts" store ........ With a drive thru. :-)
  • Options
    Don't know if you watch them, but C5 has shown a load of aircrash incident docus. Some fascinating issues raised from cultural to air turbulence to technical failures. Probably available on demand.

Sandpit said:

Though I would expect the procedure after such a false alarm to be return to base, or get down on the ground safely as quickly as possible. Not ignore it.

It's surprisingly how long it takes for relatively simple diagnostic mechanisms to go into aviation: the industry seems to be massively advanced, but also rather backwards. Pilots argued against (and even went on strike over) cockpit voice recorders, until a series of crashes occurred where they would have been useful. Now pilots are dead-set against cockpit video recorders, even where those recorders would be pointing at the controls only. Voice and data recorders only cover a limited time period - if the ones from MH370 are ever found, they might not even have the relevant data on them.

Why don't air ambulanes and police helicopters carry CVR's? And do they carry data recorder?s
  • Options
    LOL

I've zero sweet tooth, but used to buy boxes of those for colleagues to curry favour!
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

MattW said:

But why only one?

It's no doubt that the fast foods have led to more obesity in the younger generation but the restaurants are always busy. I did think it had gone too far though when I was working in the States a few years back.

On way to work I used to drive past a " dunkin doughnuts" store ........ With a drive thru. :-)
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    This article avoids the issue of gender.There may be a zeitgeist of the American public wanting a female president.First time female contenders for president/prime minister jobs have often done well a la Thatcher,Golda Meir,Merkel,Bhutto,Gandhi, and many others.On this basis Fiorina might be Clintons most dangerous opponent.Carla v Hilary might be close to 50/50 whereas Hilary might start 60/40 fav against all the men except Rubio whose might cut into the Democratic Hispanic and young voters
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Watching the Plaid Conference and an impressively pugnacious speech from Nicola Sturgeon gives the shape of things to come in May next year.

Fascinating analysis of the contrasting fortunes of the two parties and in particular how Plaid in Wales outpolled the SNP in Scotland in the first devolved elections of 1999.

What happened since? It is difficult to resist the conclusion since everything else was identical at UK level, and Labour in Wales have hardly set the heather on fire, that the key difference is that the SNP were led over most of the last 16 years by a politician of genius.

Plaid's support is bound up with support for the Welsh language. That gives them quite a high floor, but also a very low ceiling.

Crucially too, Wales has been gradually shifting right since 1970, while Scotland has been shifting left.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

I think in Wales PC is seen as a party for the Welsh-speaking minority.
  • Options

scotslass said:

I think in Wales PC is seen as a party for the Welsh-speaking minority.
    They’ve had their moments in SE Wales, but only moments.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Mike Nesbittt, UUP leader, just started his speech at the UUP conference on BBC Parliament
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Sandpit said:

Very true. The reasons for delays in technology are either certification requirements or pilot unions. For example it's easy to say mount a camera, you can get a GoPro for £500. But the camera and mount must have part numbers, batch numbers and serial numbers that are traceable back to the factory, must be guaranteed not to interfere with aircraft systems *for each different type of aircraft they are installed on* etc etc. These certifications take years and cost thousands. As an example a small nut and bolt for an aeroplane (even a Cessna) costs $50. They are identical to the nut and bolt you can buy at B&Q for a fiver a dozen, but each nut and bolt come with an individual certificate of provenance (known as an EASA Form 1 if you're a geek!) specifying which batch of which material in which factory this nut and bolt came from. Because if it fails, people die.
  • Options
    Cricket. Lay the draw and back Pakistan. Lead of 247 now, England have no chance now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

scotslass said:

Plaid's support is bound up with support for the Welsh language. That gives them quite a high floor, but also a very low ceiling.

Crucially too, Wales has been gradually shifting right since 1970, while Scotland has been shifting left.
    Taking into account the heavy industry heritage, the high public sector employment and the historic antipathy to the Conservatives as an 'English' party it might be argued that Wales is the biggest success story for the Conservative party.

It paints a striking contrast to the loud mouthing but utterly incompetant SCONS.

• Options
    Quick question on P45's if is able to or could help

My daughters both have more than two jobs
    1) who do we give the P45 too?
    2) can there be more than one P45?
    3) if only one P45 then do we give a copy to other employers?

Both are Uni students and do a few hours in each job at the moment

On way out but any help appreciated . What rules do they follow here?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

scotslass said:

Taking into account the heavy industry heritage, the high public sector employment and the historic antipathy to the Conservatives as an 'English' party it might be argued that Wales is the biggest success story for the Conservative party.

It paints a striking contrast to the loud mouthing but utterly incompetant SCONS.

Are immigrant retirees from England a factor?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sandpit said:

Very true. The reasons for delays in technology are either certification requirements or pilot unions. For example it's easy to say mount a camera, you can get a GoPro for £500. But the camera and mount must have part numbers, batch numbers and serial numbers that are traceable back to the factory, must be guaranteed Not to interfere with aircraft systems *for each different type of aircraft they are installed on* etc etc. These certifications take years and cost thousands. As an example a small nut and bolt for an aeroplane (even a Cessna) costs $50. They are the same nut and bolt you can buy at B&Q for a fiver a dozen, but each nut and bolt come with an individual certificate of provenance (known as an EASA Form 1 if you're a geek!) specifying which batch of which material in which factory this nut and bolt came from. Because if it fails, people die.

That's interesting, Mr. Pit, I never knew that. Of course certifying that something like a bolt is strong enough to withstand the design stress of the job it is to do is a trivial task compared to proving that a bit of electronics will not adversely affect any other bit of electronics. Outside mathematics trying to prove a negative is a right bugger, and in the end probably not actually possible.

Do you remember when it was prohibited to even turn a mobile telephone on in an aeroplane, because "it might interfere with the 'planes systems"? Did they ever prove that mobiles don't or did they just take the easy option once so many people had mobiles and were ignoring the instructions.
  • Options
    Re the GOP when was the last time they didn't chose the 'next in line' to be Presidential candidate ?

Goldwater in 1964 perhaps ? Dewey in 1944 ? Wilkie in 1940 ?

Oddly whilst in the USA the right-wing party has chosen the establishment candidate and the left-wing the outsider in the UK the reverse has happened. Well until Corbyn at least.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Overall a very good article OGH and I agree with your general conclusions and it certainly tempts me to back Trump to be nominee at least. Only a few quibbles, firstly, while Sanders would be unelectable against a generic Republican if they pick Trump or Cruz polls suggest even Bernie has a chance in the general election. Favourability ratings, while useful, are also not exact replicas of voting intention, for example Carson polls better against Clinton than Rubio does at the moment, as you point out and Cruz sometimes polls even worse than Trump while in head to head polls Jeb Bush does better than his favourability rating suggests.

You are correct on the importance of New Hampshire to winning the nomination, since 1976 winners of the New Hampshire primary have included Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Michael Dukakis, George HW Bush, Al Gore, John Kerry, John McCain and Mitt Romney (and in 1992 it was a strong second by Bill Clinton which helped relaunch his campaign after the Flowers affair). Iowa winners who went on to be nominee included Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Bob Dole, Al Gore, George W Bush, John Kerry and Barack Obama. So in the cases of Mondale, Bob Dole, George W Bush and Obama victory in Iowa offset a later loss in New Hampshire
  • Options
    I do hope that no PBers will be exposing themselves as thick bigots by mentioning favourably a certain historical event in the next few days.
  • Options
    "We are told that publication of Sir John Chilcot’s Iraq Inquiry report has been pushed back to 2017 — which means that it will be six years late."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3287203/PETER-OBORNE-surprising-dangerous-love-un.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Re the Glasgow helicopter crash...I had the experience of crashing in a chopper from a fairly low level..The Pilot has only a very short time to make his decision where to land..Water is hard but concrete is harder... If I had been the Pilot I would have opted for the river..only three individuals would have been compromised and it is assumed they all had training in evacuation from a sinking aircraft.....but hey ho..this is all with enormous hindsight..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Very true. The reasons for delays in technology are either certification requirements or pilot unions. For example it's easy to say mount a camera, you can get a GoPro for £500. But the camera and mount must have part numbers, batch numbers and serial numbers that are traceable back to the factory, must be guaranteed not to interfere with aircraft systems *for each different type of aircraft they are installed on* etc etc. These certifications take years and cost thousands. As an example a small nut and bolt for an aeroplane (even a Cessna) costs $50. They are identical to the nut and bolt you can buy at B&Q for a fiver a dozen, but each nut and bolt come with an individual certificate of provenance (known as an EASA Form 1 if you're a geek!) specifying which batch of which material in which factory this nut and bolt came from. Because if it fails, people die.

But the hardware, processes and traceability are already certified AIUI - cameras are used in cabins, for instance. It's the unions who are mainly preventing it, with some airline reticence.

I can understand the pilots' concerns, and the misuse of such data should have strong consequences for the person or people abusing it. But the systems will come it's just a case of how many people have to die in the meantime.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Sandpit said:

Very true. The reasons for delays in technology are either certification requirements or pilot unions. For example it's easy to say mount a camera, you can get a GoPro for £500. But the camera and mount must have part numbers, batch numbers and serial numbers that are traceable back to the factory, must be guaranteed Not to interfere with aircraft systems *for each different type of aircraft they are installed on* etc etc. These certifications take years and cost thousands. As an example a small nut and bolt for an aeroplane (even a Cessna) costs $50. They are the same nut and bolt you can buy at B&Q for a fiver a dozen, but each nut and bolt come with an individual certificate of provenance (known as an EASA Form 1 if you're a geek!) specifying which batch of which material in which factory this nut and bolt came from. Because if it fails, people die.

That's interesting, Mr. Pit, I never knew that. Of course certifying that something like a bolt is strong enough to withstand the design stress of the job it is to do is a trivial task compared to proving that a bit of electronics will not adversely affect any other bit of electronics. Outside mathematics trying to prove a negative is a right bugger, and in the end probably not actually possible.

Do you remember when it was prohibited to even turn a mobile telephone on in an aeroplane, because "it might interfere with the 'planes systems"? Did they ever prove that mobiles don't or did they just take the easy option once so many people had mobiles and were ignoring the instructions.
    There were several incidents in commercial aviation c.10 years ago, of communications and flight systems problems thought to be due to mobile phones in the cabin. Manufacturers and airlines spent millions of (insert currency here) to prove to regulators that the new generations of planes and fit outs (inc now satellite wifi offered by some airlines) are safe and don't affect the plane's critical flight systems, which are now all electronic. In particular, cell phones operate at variable power depending on local signals, it may be safer to have a phone cell on the plane than 100 cell phones trying - at full power - to connect to a station.

In private aviation, flying around at 5,000' drives a cell phone system crazy as it can see 20 towers instead of 2 or 3! Most private planes are simple enough mechanically not to be affected, think 1970s tech Cessnas and Pipers that are still common today.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Quick question on P45's if is able to or could help

My daughters both have more than two jobs
    1) who do we give the P45 too?
    2) can there be more than one P45?
    3) if only one P45 then do we give a copy to other employers?

Both are Uni students and do a few hours in each job at the moment

On way out but any help appreciated . What rules do they follow here?

1) Either. Normally the job where you earn the most.

2) No.

3) No. You can only have your tax allowance on one job, the other will be taxed at Basic Rate.

However there are (or were) special arrangements for students where you can certify you will not earn more than the tax free allowance in the year and then be paid gross. The HMRC website is actually quite helpful.

It is also worth knowing that a P45 is only useful if there is no break between jobs.

Happy to be corrected as it is a few years since I managed a payroll.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

scotslass said:

Are immigrant retirees from England a factor?
    Possibly, although I don't know how their numbers have varied over the last few decades. Gower and Pembrokeshire are probably the places where this might be a factor.

I think the North Wales coast has always had significant numbers of retirees coming from Lancashire.

But places where retirees wont be a big issue have still seen a strong rightward shift eg compare the contrasting swings between NE Wales and the Wirral/Chester area.

Likewise the Conservatives continue to do well in Cardiff whereas in most English cities they've disintegrated.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Re the GOP when was the last time they didn't chose the 'next in line' to be Presidential candidate ?

Goldwater in 1964 perhaps ? Dewey in 1944 ? Wilkie in 1940 ?

Oddly whilst in the USA the right-wing party has chosen the establishment candidate and the left-wing the outsider in the UK the reverse has happened. Well until Corbyn at least.

In 1964 Goldwater was arguably actually the next in line candidate having received 10 votes to Nixon's 1,321 votes at the 1960 GOP convention (the only non-Nixon votes). Rockefeller did enter the primaries but carried no states and won less than 1%. In 1944 Dewey had actually won the 1940 Republican primaries, but Wilkie had beaten him at the Convention. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_1940

George W Bush was not the 'next in line' candidate in 2000 but came from Republican royalty anyway. IKE was not either in 1952 but was a war hero who had led Allied forces with huge name recognition. Trump is a billionaire with a significant level of name recognition himself.

I think Corbyn's victory is symptomatic of a Labour Party membership putting ideology before electability, Republican voters seem to be in a similar mood, which is why Trump and Cruz are both contendors and Trump leads the polls.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Republican_National_Convention
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_1960
  • Options

Just adding my tuppence worth. (*) I've touched on interference of electronic devices whilst working on an automotive product, and the manufacturers are very strict on EMC testing for interference. It's a world away from the normal consumer electronics work we did. I can imagine aerospace applications are even more rigorous.

There is (was?) a firm in the middle of the Fens who do EMC testing. Their location was chosen to be out in the sticks as there is less EMI to interfere with their measurements. Being locked in an anechoic chamber can feel weird after a while ...

Still, it's much more Mrs J's arena than mine. The maths does my head in.

(*) And it's overvalued at that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But the hardware, processes and traceability are already certified AIUI - cameras are used in cabins, for instance. It's the unions who are mainly preventing it, with some airline reticence.

I can understand the pilots' concerns, and the misuse of such data should have strong consequences for the person or people abusing it. But the systems will come it's just a case of how many people have to die in the meantime.
    The current regulations allow the CVR to be wiped by the crew as they leave the aeroplane. Remember also that these sort of regulations apply worldwide, including in countries which have a somewhat different view of industrial relations than those in the West - it would be very easy for certain nations to use the cameras designed for accident investigation only as a routine monitoring tool for pilot 'performance' 'evaluation'.
  • Options
    There's an EMC zero zone in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone
    The National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ) is a large area of land in the United States in which radio transmissions are strictly restricted by law, to facilitate scientific research and military intelligence. It is located in the states of West Virginia, Virginia, and a small part of Maryland.

Just adding my tuppence worth. (*) I've touched on interference of electronic devices whilst working on an automotive product, and the manufacturers are very strict on EMC testing for interference. It's a world away from the normal consumer electronics work we did. I can imagine aerospace applications are even more rigorous.

There is (was?) a firm in the middle of the Fens who do EMC testing. Their location was chosen to be out in the sticks as there is less EMI to interfere with their measurements. Being locked in an anechoic chamber can feel weird after a while ...

• Options

There's an EMC zero zone in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone

The National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ) is a large area of land in the United States in which radio transmissions are strictly restricted by law, to facilitate scientific research and military intelligence. It is located in the states of West Virginia, Virginia, and a small part of Maryland.

Ah thanks, I never knew that.

As an aside, as you drive north up the M11 past Cambridge, there is about a mile of high black fencing on the left (I forget the junction number, it's immediately after the Trumpington turn). I've been told the fencing is EMI shielding so that interference from the traffic will not annoy the radio telescopes a few miles to the west.

No idea if that's true or not, but I cannot see any other reason for the fencing.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Scot P-JohnLilburne another_richard etc

Scot P The proposition is that Plaid and SNP were in the same place in 1999 at near 30 per cent of the vote. Your antipathy to Salmond renders you unable to see that since then the SNP have been AS A PARTY an outstanding success and Plaid not so. Plaid haven't been so much a failure as jugging along where you might have expected, around 20 per cent of the vote and perhaps double what they traditionally get in Westminster contests. However the SNP 1) defeated Labour in 2007 for the first time in 50 years in Scotland 2) in 2011 secured a MAJORITY in a PR election 3) gained a CONSENTED referendum and achieved 45 per cent of the vote for independence previously a small minority pursuit and 4) cleaned up in the aftermath to gain 56 seats at Westminster. By any standard that is remarkable.

John Richard etc Yes there are key differences and you point to some of them. But the Welsh Tories were allowed to get back in the game by Plaid. Salmond didn't just defeat Labour but squeezed the Scots Tories further despite the able and popular (for a Tory) Goldie and then totally outflanked the Lib Dems who walked into the wilderness in 2007.

I think the Scotland/Wales contrast is very telling and supports my view.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

I think Corbyn's victory is symptomatic of a Labour Party membership putting ideology before electability, Republican voters seem to be in a similar mood, which is why Trump and Cruz are both contendors and Trump leads the polls.

No, that's not quite right, because ideologically Trump is all over the shop but probably to the left of the GOP most of the time. It is more easily classed as a reaction to the PPE/SpAd (or American equivalent) focus-group obsessed, triangulating Establishment. Corbyn, Sturgeon, Farage, Trump and Carson: it's not about ideology but about at least seeming to care about something.

Many voted for Corbyn not because he was the most left wing candidate but because out of the four, he was the one who seemed human. Contrast him with Gordon Brown taking three days to work out which sort of biscuit to claim as his favourite, or Tony Blair's favourite meal changing with latitude, or David Cameron's favourite team playing in claret and blue but is it West Ham or Aston Villa?

But Trump is not a tea-partier. Half the time he's not even a Republican. This is probably why the pundits dismiss his chances: they figure out sooner or later the GOP grass roots will notice he's not really one of them. The evidence from this side of the Atlantic is that they are missing the point.
  • Options

"We are told that publication of Sir John Chilcot’s Iraq Inquiry report has been pushed back to 2017 — which means that it will be six years late."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3287203/PETER-OBORNE-surprising-dangerous-love-un.html

It would be cheaper and easier to wait for the Cabinet papers to be released under the 30-year rule. And probably faster.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Quite incredible.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

It would be cheaper and easier to wait for the Cabinet papers to be released under the 30-year rule. And probably faster.
    Sadly, not all papers are released at 30 years. Sensitive stuff is held back. And it doesn't get more sensitive than this. Although I suspect the real meat of the issue will not have been recorded in cabinet papers anyway. Letters and notes between Tony and Dubya?
  • Options
    From the 2011 Budget:

" Our national debt, as a share of our national income, is forecast to be 60% this year, before peaking at 71%, and then starting to fall – reaching 69% by the end of the period.

This leads me to one of the central tasks of the OBR.

That of assessing the Government’s performance against its stated budget goals – in an open and independent way, so that we avoid repeating the disastrous experience of the so-called golden rule.

Our fiscal mandate is to achieve a cyclically-adjusted current balance by the end of the rolling five year forecast period – which is currently 2015-16.

We have supplemented that with a fixed target for debt: so that debt should be falling as a proportion of GDP by the year 2015-16 as well.

I can report to the House that the OBR confirm that on their central forecast we will meet both these objectives – a balanced structural current budget and falling national debt by the end of the Parliament.

Indeed, the forecast remains that we will meet both these objectives one year earlier. "

I believe the national debt now stands at 81% and is still rising.

Aside from exposing Osborne's profligacy doesn't this also reveal the lickspittle incompetance of the OBR.

Can anyone justify the OBR's continued existence ?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I have come across some strange comments in today’s FT regarding dismay of some Labour moderates at Corbyn’s appointment of Seumas Milne . A quote held against the latter from 2004 is ‘killings of ”occupation troops” in Iraq pale next to the toll inflicted by the (US/UK) occupiers’. Surely what he said was self-evident. Is it seriously suggested that people living in a country that has been the victim of an unprovoked attack have no right to resist their attackers? Would these people have said the same thing about the French Resistance attacking German troops in World War 2? Hypocritical idiots!

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited October 2015
    scotslass said:

There's a twin problem of lack of ambition and quality from Plaid (they don't even campaign for Independence) and the fact that the Welsh people have been spectacularly oppressed by the occupying power, they have been driven into the dirt and their faces pressed into it by a jackboot.

It is a scary sight for how Scotland's future will look in the Union. Many asked during the First Referendum what Scotland would be like when the oil runs out as an independent country. Instead people should have been asking what Scotland would be like when the oil runs out WITHIN the UK. Unfortunately we know, it would be Wales.
  • Options
    That's the same one from last week: the story is five days old.
  • Options
    Dair said:

scotslass said:

There's a twin problem of lack of ambition and quality from Plaid (they don't even campaign for Independence) and the fact that the Welsh people have been spectacularly oppressed by the occupying power, they have been driven into the dirt and their faces pressed into it by a jackboot.

It is a scary sight for how Scotland's future will look in the Union. Many asked during the First Referendum what Scotland would be like when the oil runs out as an independent country. Instead people should have been asking what Scotland would be like when the oil runs out WITHIN the UK. Unfortunately we know, it would be Wales.
    Yet Wales now has its own Assembly unlike England and Welsh exports have grown by 31% since 2010
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/welsh-economy-fast-track-growth-8734567
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, that's not quite right, because ideologically Trump is all over the shop but probably to the left of the GOP most of the time. It is more easily classed as a reaction to the PPE/SpAd (or American equivalent) focus-group obsessed, triangulating Establishment. Corbyn, Sturgeon, Farage, Trump and Carson: it's not about ideology but about at least seeming to care about something.

Many voted for Corbyn not because he was the most left wing candidate but because out of the four, he was the one who seemed human. Contrast him with Gordon Brown taking three days to work out which sort of biscuit to claim as his favourite, or Tony Blair's favourite meal changing with latitude, or David Cameron's favourite team playing in claret and blue but is it West Ham or Aston Villa?

But Trump is not a tea-partier. Half the time he's not even a Republican. This is probably why the pundits dismiss his chances: they figure out sooner or later the GOP grass roots will notice he's not really one of them. The evidence from this side of the Atlantic is that they are missing the point.
    On immigration certainly Trump is well to the right of the GOP establishment and he has pushed a tax cutting agenda in his recent policy proposals, overseas he would also take a robustly aggressive line. Corbyn's victory was because he was the most leftwing candidate, not because he looked like an eccentric uncle with a beard, if he had been New Labour with the same personality he would not have won

Cruz certainly is a Tea Partier and he is also on the rise, third in Iowa with Bloomberg yesterday
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

An hour until P3 (well, a little less). If it goes ahead at the right time. Qualifying's due at 7-8pm.
  • Options

Very convenient.

The establishment 'investigating' the establishment.
  • Options
    I wish I could be years late and get paid a six figure salary every year.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Do any of the bookies have odds on womens football? Scotland are looking really good for Uefa 2017 in my mind and their lack of finals record should give them decent odds. Their second half last night (albeit against poor opposition) had some delightful football in it. 6th goal was a screamer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfwW5aFjAg4&feature=youtu.be&t=212
  • Options

From the 2011 Budget:

" Our national debt, as a share of our national income, is forecast to be 60% this year, before peaking at 71%, and then starting to fall – reaching 69% by the end of the period.

This leads me to one of the central tasks of the OBR.

That of assessing the Government’s performance against its stated budget goals – in an open and independent way, so that we avoid repeating the disastrous experience of the so-called golden rule.

Our fiscal mandate is to achieve a cyclically-adjusted current balance by the end of the rolling five year forecast period – which is currently 2015-16.

We have supplemented that with a fixed target for debt: so that debt should be falling as a proportion of GDP by the year 2015-16 as well.

I can report to the House that the OBR confirm that on their central forecast we will meet both these objectives – a balanced structural current budget and falling national debt by the end of the Parliament.

Indeed, the forecast remains that we will meet both these objectives one year earlier. "

I believe the national debt now stands at 81% and is still rising.

Aside from exposing Osborne's profligacy doesn't this also reveal the lickspittle incompetance of the OBR.

Can anyone justify the OBR's continued existence ?

The 2011 Budget was when Osborne proclaimed the 'March of the Makers'.

From the ONS:

Manufacturing output:

2011q2 101.8
    2015q2 101.5

Retail Sales:

2011q2 100.0
    2015q2 112.0

Government Debt:

2011q2 £1,135bn
    2015q2 £1,513bn

Current Account deficit:

2011q2 £0.586bn
    2015q2 £16.767bn

Surely those hundreds of billions of borrowed money could have been used more sensibly than in funding another consumer bubble of imported tat.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dair said:

Do any of the bookies have odds on womens football? Scotland are looking really good for Uefa 2017 in my mind and their lack of finals record should give them decent odds. Their second half last night (albeit against poor opposition) had some delightful football in it. 6th goal was a screamer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfwW5aFjAg4&feature=youtu.be&t=212

Phone and ask for odds. They may well create a book on it, especially if others have asked too. I do that with a couple of bookies when I spot something like this.
    It helps to have personal contacts on the inside as I do but that shouldn't stop you.
  • Options
    Cricket looking like a clear Pakistan win from here. Lead of 338 with 7 wickets in hand. Home time now after enough beer to be in trouble with Mrs. Sandpit.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dair said:

Do any of the bookies have odds on womens football?

Additional: William Hill here:
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/2373/Women-s-European-Championships.html
  • Options
    Climate fun, as some want to make wealthy nations financially liable for storm damage:
    "Developed countries are wary about including a provision on loss and damage in the Paris agreement, as they feel it will make them legally responsible for storm damage and rising seas in many parts of the world."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34611093
  • Options
    "transparent Government"

https://t.co/6XWoYUgZyU

Very convenient.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''There's a twin problem of lack of ambition and quality from Plaid (they don't even campaign for Independence) and the fact that the Welsh people have been spectacularly oppressed by the occupying power, they have been driven into the dirt and their faces pressed into it by a jackboot.''

This is a very untrue statement.
  • Options

"transparent Government"

https://t.co/6XWoYUgZyU

Very convenient.

And when the report is finally published we'll be told "lessons have been learnt" and "things are different now".
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I have come across some strange comments in today’s FT regarding dismay of some Labour moderates at Corbyn’s appointment of Seumas Milne . A quote held against the latter from 2004 is ‘killings of ”occupation troops” in Iraq pale next to the toll inflicted by the (US/UK) occupiers’. Surely what he said was self-evident. Is it seriously suggested that people living in a country that has been the victim of an unprovoked attack have no right to resist their attackers? Would these people have said the same thing about the French Resistance attacking German troops in World War 2? Hypocritical idiots!

I'm not entirely convinced of the moral equivalence between the USA and UK on the one hand, and Nazi Germany on the other.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Dair said:

Do any of the bookies have odds on womens football?

Additional: William Hill here:
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/t/2373/Women-s-European-Championships.html
    Thanks for the advice, it seems Hills (as others I've seen) are only offering on qualification matches at the moment. I don't think bookies will want to open a market early just to get my £5. Just hoping it does open before Scotland play Iceland, if they end up with a 100% record in their group the odds will not be nearly as good as I'd expect right now.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''There's a twin problem of lack of ambition and quality from Plaid (they don't even campaign for Independence) and the fact that the Welsh people have been spectacularly oppressed by the occupying power, they have been driven into the dirt and their faces pressed into it by a jackboot.''

This is a very untrue statement.

It ain't just a river in Egypt.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Quite incredible.
    It needs leaking.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2015
    "Well tax credits aren't fair because I can't get them because I don't work......." So said a man from Rotherham on 'Any Answers'

I can't believe I've just wasted ten minutes listening to the rubbish that passes for a current affairs 'phone-in'. If anyone wants evidence that the governments squeeze on the BBC is having an effect look no further than the researchers on 'Any Questions'.