Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Palmer on why we shouldn’t pay too much attention to E

Comments

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Chris_A said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Just back from a week in Europe's playground where British, German, Italian and French can bond over the breakfast buffet and enjoy the Spanish sunshine. Europe en fete as it were - plenty of coverage about events in Portugal and in Spain Podemos getting plenty of media along with the Citizens' party.

Interesting to note the changing linguistic order in Mallorca - it's German first, then British with Russian coming a close third. Menus now have Russian sections after the Spanish, German and English.

With profuse apologies to Nick (excellent piece by the way), something I noticed while driving round was a town called Felanitx and I began to muse on all the places I could think of ENDING in "X" - Appomatox being an obvious example but I started to struggle after that.

So, my alternative to yet another debate on the EU - can anyone think of places ending in "X" ? I exclude anything with "Cross" by the way as that's just short-hand.

Middlesex, Essex, Wessex ?

Edit: and Herstmoncux

In France, Bordeaux, and I think there're several others as well.
    Lisieux and Dreux to name just two places I visited on holiday this year
    I watched the England Wales game in a bar in Perigueux, and stayed in Dax on the same holiday.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Mr. HYUFD, we'll see whether the eurozone implodes before the pesky Scandinavian voters are giving the opportunity to revise their view.

Given Swedes and Danes still overwhelmingly oppose the euro when polled I doubt it would be much different
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    It seems the Dutch have solved their immigration issues,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJj1jcAffCM&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Mr. Sandpit, it's getting a bit silly.

It's becoming more likely that they will call the whole thing off for the day and come back tomorrow, but they're going through the motions of trying to do something today for the fans.

Watching the Sky commentary team trying to fill space for hours on end is rather amusing though!
  • Options

The -sex suffix is from Anglo-Saxon / Old English, with the actual meaning being "Saxon".

Sussex is essentially "South Saxon".
    Middlesex is "Middle Saxon".
    Essex is "East Saxon".
    Wessex is "West Saxon".​​​​​​​

It's Herstmonceux https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herstmonceux#History

The name ’’Herstmonceux’’ comes from Anglo-Saxon hyrst, "wooded hill", plus the name of the Monceux family who were lords of the manor here in the 12th century.

stodge said:

Just back from a week in Europe's playground where British, German, Italian and French can bond over the breakfast buffet and enjoy the Spanish sunshine. Europe en fete as it were - plenty of coverage about events in Portugal and in Spain Podemos getting plenty of media along with the Citizens' party.

Interesting to note the changing linguistic order in Mallorca - it's German first, then British with Russian coming a close third. Menus now have Russian sections after the Spanish, German and English.

With profuse apologies to Nick (excellent piece by the way), something I noticed while driving round was a town called Felanitx and I began to muse on all the places I could think of ENDING in "X" - Appomatox being an obvious example but I started to struggle after that.

So, my alternative to yet another debate on the EU - can anyone think of places ending in "X" ? I exclude anything with "Cross" by the way as that's just short-hand.

So what happened to the North Saxons? Did they end up getting lost??
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Sandpit, their own damned fault for starting coverage so early.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The -sex suffix is from Anglo-Saxon / Old English, with the actual meaning being "Saxon".

Essex is "East Saxon".

The name ’’Herstmonceux’’ comes from Anglo-Saxon hyrst, "wooded hill", plus the name of the Monceux family who were lords of the manor here in the 12th century.

stodge said:

Vikings.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Essex is "East Saxon".

stodge said:

I think that area was Suffolk and Norfolk - or 'South Folk' and 'North Folk', who were Angles rather than Saxons, at least initially.
  • Options
    F1: 30 minutes more of trying to keep commentators occupied!
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, this dilly-dallying and shilly-shallying is ridiculous.

If they call it off, I can go play some more of The Witcher 3 [incidentally, the game's down to £25 already on Amazon, which is fantastic value].
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    HYUFD said:

Mr. HYUFD, we'll see whether the eurozone implodes before the pesky Scandinavian voters are giving the opportunity to revise their view.

Given Swedes and Danes still overwhelmingly oppose the euro when polled I doubt it would be much different
    I hadn't seen any polling lately so had a look round. This seems the most recent:

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/flash/fl_418_sum_en.pdf

Denmark and Britain aren't included as we've explictly opted out. Sweden is opposed by 47 to 36. The smaller East European countries are still keen (or they were in April, at least), probably because despite everything they see the EU as a relatively stabilising force in an uncertain landscape with lots of local controversies about national politicians.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

JEO said:

The previous thread is a lesson in how wrapping yourself up in technicalities and embracing moral relativism means you do not see the wood for trees. The French Resistance were defending liberal democracy against a horrific ethnic cleansing regime, while the Iraqi army were defending a barbaric dictator against an alliance that wanted to implement democracy.

Exactly. There's a good argument that life for the average Iraqi was less bad under Saddam than under the various monsters who've emerged since his overthrow. But, that doesn't mean that Saddam was not a brute. And that doesn't mean that it was Western forces who victimised Iraqis. It was Saddam and the other monsters who victimised them.

Yes, people like to talk about X million dead from the Iraq war, but most of those killed were by sectarian Iraqi leaders and Muslim religious zealots. There were certainly times where the USA betrayed her Christian principles, when it comes to torture and the like, but this was a handful of cases among suffering mainly carried out by the USA's opponents.
    So called opponents whom the ouster of Saddam and the dismantling of his state apparatus unleashed. The same thing that happened after Gadaffi. How many times does the US have to make this 'mistake' before we question whether it actually wants a stable Middle East?
    Though I find it interesting that the idea that said "opponents" had no moral agency of their own quite interesting. It means, quite obviously that the Iraqi people can't be held responsible for their own actions. Which in turn means they need someone to act for them...
    That really depends if you regard the concept of guilt as a limited portion which if one takes more, leaves less for the others. The reality is that the perpetrators of terrorist atrocities have 100% of the blame for what they do, and those who wilfully and with foreknowledge enable or even aid such atrocities (like America has been doing in the Middle East for years) bear 100% of the blame for that.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MaxPB said:

Essex is "East Saxon".

stodge said:

Vikings.

I don't think that's right. There just weren't any North Saxons. The Angles settled north of them. East Anglia maintains its name, but there was also a Middle Anglia (around Herts, Beds and Bucks) and then the marches with the Britons, which is where "Mercia" got its name from. Northumbria was the Kingdom that got battered by the vikings, and that was also an Angle kingdom. There was also a Jute kingdom: Kent.
  • Options

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

JEO said:

The previous thread is a lesson in how wrapping yourself up in technicalities and embracing moral relativism means you do not see the wood for trees. The French Resistance were defending liberal democracy against a horrific ethnic cleansing regime, while the Iraqi army were defending a barbaric dictator against an alliance that wanted to implement democracy.

Exactly. There's a good argument that life for the average Iraqi was less bad under Saddam than under the various monsters who've emerged since his overthrow. But, that doesn't mean that Saddam was not a brute. And that doesn't mean that it was Western forces who victimised Iraqis. It was Saddam and the other monsters who victimised them.

Yes, people like to talk about X million dead from the Iraq war, but most of those killed were by sectarian Iraqi leaders and Muslim religious zealots. There were certainly times where the USA betrayed her Christian principles, when it comes to torture and the like, but this was a handful of cases among suffering mainly carried out by the USA's opponents.
    So called opponents whom the ouster of Saddam and the dismantling of his state apparatus unleashed. The same thing that happened after Gadaffi. How many times does the US have to make this 'mistake' before we question whether it actually wants a stable Middle East?
    The Libya situation was pushed by the British and the French, not the Americans. Syria had fallen apart long before the US started getting involved. And it looks like Obama policy there has been the minimum they can get away with to keep the neoconservatives off his back. They have also propped up Sisi, so sometimes they go with stability. But you seem to criticise the Americans whatever they do: either they're coddling up to evil regimes when they back a brutal government, or they're secretly planning chaos when they oppose one.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, this dilly-dallying and shilly-shallying is ridiculous.

If they call it off, I can go play some more of The Witcher 3 [incidentally, the game's down to £25 already on Amazon, which is fantastic value].

LOL, They've just said that they're not going to call it off for another couple of hours, want to see if they can run it today if possible before it gets dark!

I'm going to re-read the Momentum article that Nick Palmer chided me for not reading properly earlier, then the rest of the Glasgow helicopter report. It's nearly midnight here now, and I was hoping to be back at the cricket at 10am tomorrow! Ho hum.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, they're morons.

Maybe run it tomorrow, or just use the P3 times, but this session should be cancelled. Imbeciles.

I'll see if there's an announcement in the next 10 minutes or so, then I'll go and do something more productive. Like killing leshens.
  • Options
    It's delayed to 9pm.

I'm off. Will put up the pre-race piece as and when I can, assuming they actually get some dry-running to race.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Essex is "East Saxon".

stodge said:

What happened to the North Saxons? The "Nosex" - they became extinct. :)

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    @HYUFD

Have you seen the internals of the Bloomberg Iowa poll?
    The GOP voters there have a positive view of Carson because he has:

No experience in foreign policy: 44%
    Doesn't want a muslim president: 73%
    Believes gun control helped Hitler: 77%
    Claimed Obamacare is the worst thing since slavery: 81%

That explains why after Trump or Carson say something "nasty"," controversial or simply nuts" they rise in the polls.

How can any moderate or establishment candidate ever hope to win that crowd?
    Even if the moderates or the establishment candidates can sound extremist, voters there see foreign policy experience as something negative (Rubio).

• Options
    Speedy said:

@HYUFD

That explains why after Trump or Carson say something "nasty"," controversial or simply nuts" they rise in the polls.

Even if the moderates or the establishment candidates can sound extremist, voters there see foreign policy experience as something negative (Rubio).

Eventually they will get bored of losing and the nutcases will leave the party. It happened to Labour in 1994 and to the Tories in 2005. The GOP have to go through the same process, after 8 years of Obama and probably 8 years of Hilary they will have to reassess what Americans want and recalibrate the party for that.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Why should it implode or explode any more than the dollar ?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    surbiton said:

Well, of course it will, look at how desperate the Greeks were to get out, that's why they re-elected Tsipras after the most massive U-turn in all European political history.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Jessop, mildly amused you thought of a 9th century Saxon kingdom, but not Sussex :p

Possibly because I've walked the Wessex Ridgeway, and not the Sussex Ridgeway. ;)

(Sussex technically does have a ridge walk I've done; it's just known as the South Downs Way)
    Mr. Flaming Picky would like to point out that the South Downs way starts (or ends, I suppose) in Hampshire and is thus not, strictly speaking a Sussex walk.

< /PendantOff>
    Doesn't it start/end at Eastbourne, which is most certainly Sussex?

The end was also moved a couple of decades ago to Winchester in Hampshire from somewhere further east. I can't remember where the old western end was, but I think it was outside Hampshire.

As an aside, they should just join the Clarendon Way on and extend it west to Salisbury.
    Following up my own post, the South Downs Way used to start at Buriton when it opened in 1972, and was extended to Winchester in the late 1980s.

I bet that's fascinated everyone.
    It certainly fascinated me. I did the South Downs Way in 1977 and we started in Winchester -got absolutley shit-faced in a pub in the High Street the night before and did the first climb with a raging thirst and a massive headache. Happy days.

P.S. Memory tells me that we did the whole walk to Eastbourne in three days, which I find difficult to believe now. But there again at about that time I climbed Cader Idris three times before lunch one day, so I suppose I might have done it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Eventually they will get bored of losing and the nutcases will leave the party. It happened to Labour in 1994 and to the Tories in 2005. The GOP have to go through the same process, after 8 years of Obama and probably 8 years of Hilary they will have to reassess what Americans want and recalibrate the party for that.
    Remember that Republicans have a majority in Congress, so in a sense they are winning.
  • Options
    Did Crewe to Chester by rail for the first time yesterday. By chance, saw the Pullman-style "Northern Belle" train arrive and leave while I was at Chester.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

@HYUFD

That's insane. CIF Corbynites look moderate by that measure!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2015
    I am sure this will have been commented on before, but if we look at the placings of teams within the M25 (or alternatively: teams on the tube network) in the Premier League at the moment,

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

Arguably this is a bit harsh on Spurs who have only played 9 games to the rest with 10, and might be back above Crystal Palace shortly. But there's no "games in hand" reason for Chelsea to be sixth and last in this list. Or indeed 15th overall.

Glad I don't bet on football. Didn't reckon this "blip" would still be on, this stage of the season. Much respect to anyone who manages to turn a profit on this kind of thing.
  • Options

I am sure this will have been commented on before, but if we look at the placings of teams within the M25 (or alternatively: teams on the tube network) in the Premier League at the moment,

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

Arguably this is a bit harsh on Spurs who have only played 9 games to the rest with 10, and might be back above Crystal Palace shortly. But there's no "games in hand" reason for Chelsea to be sixth and last in this list. Or indeed 15th overall.

Glad I don't bet on football. Didn't reckon this "blip" would still be on, this stage of the season.

West Ham - pride of East London :)
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

Glad I don't bet on football. Didn't reckon this "blip" would still be on, this stage of the season.

By nominal determinism, shouldn't the pride of East London be Leyton Orient?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Did Crewe to Chester by rail for the first time yesterday. By chance, saw the Pullman-style "Northern Belle" train arrive and leave while I was at Chester.

I saw the Belmond Pullman or British Pullman or (VSOE operation until last year), the Pullman Car Gwen had been part of The Horseless Carriage pub at Chingford Hatch in the 1970s.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2015

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

Shame QPR went down last year. And Fulham the year before that. Also a pity Brentford didn't get through the play-offs.

Chelsea could have been the 9th worst team in the M25.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Remember that Republicans have a majority in Congress, so in a sense they are winning.
    In a gerrymandered way. The Democrats need far more votes than the Republicans to win.

https://www.thenation.com/article/republicans-only-got-52-percent-vote-house-races/

In 2016, Democrats have to poll 10 million more than Republicans to win the House.
  • Options
    Simon Danczuk set to be a sacrificial stalking horse to topple Corbyn's leadership

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSG-0PSWEAEznU3.jpg
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, mildly amused you thought of a 9th century Saxon kingdom, but not Sussex :p

Possibly because I've walked the Wessex Ridgeway, and not the Sussex Ridgeway. ;)

(Sussex technically does have a ridge walk I've done; it's just known as the South Downs Way)
    Mr. Flaming Picky would like to point out that the South Downs way starts (or ends, I suppose) in Hampshire and is thus not, strictly speaking a Sussex walk.

< /PendantOff>
    Doesn't it start/end at Eastbourne, which is most certainly Sussex?

The end was also moved a couple of decades ago to Winchester in Hampshire from somewhere further east. I can't remember where the old western end was, but I think it was outside Hampshire.

As an aside, they should just join the Clarendon Way on and extend it west to Salisbury.
    Following up my own post, the South Downs Way used to start at Buriton when it opened in 1972, and was extended to Winchester in the late 1980s.

I bet that's fascinated everyone.
    It certainly fascinated me. I did the South Downs Way in 1977 and we started in Winchester -got absolutley shit-faced in a pub in the High Street the night before and did the first climb with a raging thirst and a massive headache. Happy days.

P.S. Memory tells me that we did the whole walk to Eastbourne in three days, which I find difficult to believe now. But there again at about that time I climbed Cader Idris three times before lunch one day, so I suppose I might have done it.
    There's a race each year for people doing it in a day! They're absolute nutters: 100-odd miles up and down hills. An old neighbour did it a few years ago. It's clearly and obviously mad. :)

I'm not sure why you would have started in Winchester; perhaps people were using the extension unofficially?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

In a gerrymandered way. The Democrats need far more votes than the Republicans to win.

https://www.thenation.com/article/republicans-only-got-52-percent-vote-house-races/

In 2016, Democrats have to poll 10 million more than Republicans to win the House.
    Bot sides gerrymander. It would be better if they had an independent commission to set the boundaries like we do (although Labour/LD seem to think that too is gerrymandering).
  • Options
    On topic, excellent piece as usual Nick.
  • Options
    Gwen from Chingford Hatch...formerly part of Brighton Belle.

http://www.belmond.com/british-pullman-train/british-pullman-carriages
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Rupert Murdoch and is bumping uglies with Sir Mick Jagger's ex, Jerry Hall
  • Options

Bloody hell, Rupert Murdoch and is bumping uglies with Sir Mick Jagger's ex, Jerry Hall

But Blair is claiming I'm sorry - Iraq on same front page.
  • Options
    Blair apologises for the Iraq war

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSHCcR-XIAYJSX1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015

MAIL ON SUNDAY: I'm sorry #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/O8CLf7Qubh

— Neil Henderson (@hendopolis) October 24, 2015

will it work.

It did but Eagles beat me to it.
  • Options

If you read the quotes at the bottom of that, it looks like he apologises for the intelligence failures and the mistakes in planning, not the war itself. That's been his line all along.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

There's a race each year for people doing it in a day! They're absolute nutters: 100-odd miles up and down hills. An old neighbour did it a few years ago. It's clearly and obviously mad. :)

I'm not sure why you would have started in Winchester; perhaps people were using the extension unofficially?

We must have done, Mr. J., though I have no recollection of any suggestion that it was an extension. My oppo who proposed the trip just said we were walking the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne and we said OK. It was big news to me when you said the full path didn't open until the late eighties; though of course the footpaths which make up the walk have been in existence for literally millennia - just look at the iron age hill forts they connect.

Of course, the path was no where nearly as well marked in those days as it is now so the lack of trail markers for the first section would not have been regarded as unusual. We tended to go by OS map and compass anyway, being used to walking in wilder country and all.

When our cat passes through the last big cat-flap I think I might do the walk again, at a slower pace of course, with a dog and staying in pubs each night.

P.S. On the subject of nights; I hope you get a better kip tonight than you seem to have done last night. Claiming a first at 04:30, and beating me to it, for a man in your position seemed eccentric.
  • Options
    Sunday Times

DAVID CAMERON will lead Britain out of the European Union if the public votes no in the referendum, the prime minister will announce this week, when he will declare that “leave means leave”.

In an attempt to shore up his position, Cameron will signal that he has no intention of resigning even if he has backed a “yes” vote but the public supports withdrawal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Bot sides gerrymander. It would be better if they had an independent commission to set the boundaries like we do (although Labour/LD seem to think that too is gerrymandering).
    It's done on a state by state basis. Some states gerrymander and some don't.
  • Options

Sunday Times

DAVID CAMERON will lead Britain out of the European Union if the public votes no in the referendum, the prime minister will announce this week, when he will declare that “leave means leave”.

In an attempt to shore up his position, Cameron will signal that he has no intention of resigning even if he has backed a “yes” vote but the public supports withdrawal.

If he holds to that position then all credit to him.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Excellent piece Mr Palmer - it's really interesting to see some of the supplementary stuff to see if people are paying attention. Perhaps understandably there is a section of the electorate who really don't want the financial services sector protected even if it's to our country's advantage. It would be an interesting sell to the public if that makes up part of the renegotiation.

I suspect this has been discussed, but I'm not sure that betting on a referendum happening is free money. Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I still have a suspicion that something will come up that means it doesn't happen. Not sure what it might be, perhaps the break up the Union in the next year due to a financial shock?
  • Options
    Derby's a lovely place:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-34604902

(We own some land next door to that hotel, and my hairdresser - a combined hairdresser and railway bookshop - was just a few yards away.
  • Options

Blair must be on maneuvers.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JEO said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

It's done on a state by state basis. Some states gerrymander and some don't.
    California, Washington, New Mexico, Idaho, Hawaii and New Jersey have commissions
    Iowa has a commission, but the legislature votes on it.
    The remaining states either only have an at-large distrcit, or are drawn by the legislatures.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

Glad I don't bet on football. Didn't reckon this "blip" would still be on, this stage of the season. Much respect to anyone who manages to turn a profit on this kind of thing.

As a Chelsea fan that has seen it all (my first game was Good Friday in 1963) have to say that Mourinho needs to leave the club as soon as possible. It will take at least five years to get over the damage he is doing.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

As a Chelsea fan that has seen it all (my first game was Good Friday in 1963) have to say that Mourinho needs to leave the club as soon as possible. It will take at least five years to get over the damage he is doing.
    What do you think?

@MSmithsonPB: Chelsea 170/1 on Betfair to be relegated. Might be worth a punt.
  • Options

We must have done, Mr. J., though I have no recollection of any suggestion that it was an extension. My oppo who proposed the trip just said we were walking the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne and we said OK. It was big news to me when you said the full path didn't open until the late eighties; though of course the footpaths which make up the walk have been in existence for literally millennia - just look at the iron age hill forts they connect.

Of course, the path was no where nearly as well marked in those days as it is now so the lack of trail markers for the first section would not have been regarded as unusual. We tended to go by OS map and compass anyway, being used to walking in wilder country and all.

When our cat passes through the last big cat-flap I think I might do the walk again, at a slower pace of course, with a dog and staying in pubs each night.

P.S. On the subject of nights; I hope you get a better kip tonight than you seem to have done last night. Claiming a first at 04:30, and beating me to it, for a man in your position seemed eccentric.
    My own sleeping problems aren't combining too well with the little 'un's. :(

The South Downs is a wonderful trail, and one I'd love to do again, although I've done most of it twice at various times. As for the extension, I have a book in front of me stating that the trail opened from Buriton, and it's also online: google 'buriton 1972 south downs way'.

It's not uncommon. The hideous Speyside Way used to end north of Aviemore, but most people just walked on to the larger town. It's now being extended to (I think) Newtonmore.

But all this talking of long-distance walk is making me slightly depressed. I miss the trails ...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    surbiton said:

One has a lack of fiscal and political union, the other doesn't.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Can't see them going down but next games are home to Liverpool and away to Stoke so might be tradeable. If a new manager comes in soon (Ancelotti?) they will improve dramatically.

I'm finding football betting ludicrously difficult this season.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Can't see them going down but next games are home to Liverpool and away to Stoke so might be tradeable. If a new manager comes in soon (Ancelotti?) they will improve dramatically.

I'm impressed by Klopp but we've got an available strike force that couldn't score in a brothel.

Mourinho looks like someone who wants to be sacked.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

No way. Surely there are three worse teams than Chelsea - the three that are there now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

I'm impressed by Klopp but we've got an available strike force that couldn't score in a brothel.

Jamie Vardy has scored more than Liverpool this season!

But Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle are dire. Stoke, WBA and Norwich are struggling and Bounemouths best players are on long term injuries. Chelsea will not be relegated, but Jose will be sacked by Christmas at this rate.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:
    And if he even gets the 46 MP's he would be a sure loser and Corbyn would win by an even larger margin.
    Danczuk simply is trying to become so embarrasing to the Labour party in order to be expelled.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

That is my theory exactly! Either that or he really is deranged.

He may have made a mistake if he thinks he will get sacked with a £30m payoff, I reckon he could be sacked for gross misconduct after today.

He will pitch up back at Inter Milan next.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

But Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle are dire. Stoke, WBA and Norwich are struggling and Bounemouths best players are on long term injuries. Chelsea will not be relegated, but Jose will be sacked by Christmas at this rate.

Jamie Vardy will stop scoring very soon.

In t'fantasy football, I transferred him in this week.
  • Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Leicester 70-1 (with 10Bet, whoever they are) to make the top 4 - is that value?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2015
    Sorry to spoil the sport! NSFW

twitter.com/jt92677/status/657745704043986944
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Leicester 70-1 (with 10Bet, whoever they are) to make the top 4 - is that value?
    I don't think so. We have a difficult December and run in, and Vardy cannot keep scoring at this rate. Top half is very possible though. This is the best Leicester side since we won the Worthington cup with O'neill, and in many ways better. Enjoying City at the moment!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Please don't post photos like that directly onto the page.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Please don't post photos like that directly onto the page.

Quite. Where are the moderators when you need them?
    Perhaps I should name someone who has a super-injunction in order to summon them.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sorry to spoil the sport!

For the love of god put a warning for stuff like that.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Lamar Odom scored in a brothel, and it looks like he'll live to tell the tale.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

I don't think so. We have a difficult December and run in, and Vardy cannot keep scoring at this rate. Top half is very possible though. This is the best Leicester side since we won the Worthington cup with O'neill, and in many ways better. Enjoying City at the moment!
    Well, you never know. Maybe a cup run, I see you're away at Hull this week which could be tricky - but if you're safe by Christmas you can have a real go at the FA Cup.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:
    And if he even gets the 46 MP's he would be a sure loser and Corbyn would win by an even larger margin.
    Danczuk simply is trying to become so embarrasing to the Labour party in order to be expelled.
    That's one hell of an ambition given its lack of embarrassment about its top brass
  • Options
    MikeK said:

You sure that picture is genuine?
    Looks a tad hoaxed to me on first inspection.
    Either way, it shouldn't be posted without a warning first as to its nature.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

That picture comes from a 2005 Canadian horror flick called "Inner Depravity" not from the Middle East. It has been circulating for some time.

There are enough real horrors without falsifying them.
  • Options
    So now movie scenes are Middle Eastern horrors? Why not check the authenticity of something first? I suppose its easier to jump on an outrage bandwagon and just let the truth fight its own battles.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Well, you never know. Maybe a cup run, I see you're away at Hull this week which could be tricky - but if you're safe by Christmas you can have a real go at the FA Cup.
    Hull away is not an easy draw. They are flying high at the moment, but I would love a serious go at both cups.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

70-1 is always value. Remember Chelsea is not a Top 4 this year.
  • Options

The South Downs is a wonderful trail, and one I'd love to do again, although I've done most of it twice at various times. As for the extension, I have a book in front of me stating that the trail opened from Buriton, and it's also online: google 'buriton 1972 south downs way'.

It's not uncommon. The hideous Speyside Way used to end north of Aviemore, but most people just walked on to the larger town. It's now being extended to (I think) Newtonmore.

But all this talking of long-distance walk is making me slightly depressed. I miss the trails ...
    I know what you mean about missing the trails and what not. As you get on a bit, though, you might find that you are actually scared to go back over old trails because they might not be as good as you remember them or that the memories of what you did the first time around just heighten how little you can do now or that it has just damn well changed and the world has moved on. As my old mentor once told me, "Never go back".

I still fancy the South Downs Way, though wild horses wouldn't get me up in Snowdonia again and everytime I look at the Thames I just feel sad and old.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    There is a very notable Israeli operation going on in Syria at the moment. It has been going on for about 5-6 hours now and is still continuing.

• Options
    This is what happens when thickos believe everything they read on the internet

Pigs' heads with 'anti-Islamic slogans' left outside Belfast church

Incident follows unsubstantiated claims on social networks that the currently unused church was to be transformed into a mosque

http://bit.ly/1Mcjgis
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Chelsea are a best price 13-8! West Ham are a best price 20-1 and I don't think they are any better than Leicester.
  • Options
    Martin Amis applies for the Presidency of the Jeremy Corbyn fan club

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSHRFoVWwAAM99e.jpg
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

I put £2 on a top 4 finish for Leicester at 150/1 back in August. :-)

And £2 ew at 3000/1 to win!

• Options

Arsenal (1st)
    West Ham (3rd)
    Crystal Palace (6th)
    Spurs (7th)
    Watford (13th)
    Chelsea (15th)

What do you think?

Liverpool got lucky against Spurs, Mignolet had the best game of his career, without that performance Spurs would have won with a couple of goals to spare.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Democrats pile up huge, but useless, majorities in their safe seats.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

Chelsea are a best price 13-8! West Ham are a best price 20-1 and I don't think they are any better than Leicester.
    We beat West Ham away, something Chelsea couldn't manage. Kante is the best tackler in the league, no one can hold possession against him. A real find.
  • Options

I know what you mean about missing the trails and what not. As you get on a bit, though, you might find that you are actually scared to go back over old trails because they might not be as good as you remember them or that the memories of what you did the first time around just heighten how little you can do now or that it has just damn well changed and the world has moved on. As my old mentor once told me, "Never go back".

I still fancy the South Downs Way, though wild horses wouldn't get me up in Snowdonia again and everytime I look at the Thames I just feel sad and old.
    I live near the southern end of the Appalachian Trail, and once in a while the idea of hiking the 2,100 miles popped into my mind, but reading "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" cured me completely of any such notion.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Sounds a bit like Labour in the UK.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    edited October 2015
    Tim_B said:

I live near the southern end of the Appalachian Trail, and once in a while the idea of hiking the 2,100 miles popped into my mind, but reading "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" cured me completely of any such notion.
    What about "Hiking the Appalachian Trail"?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Gwen from Chingford Hatch...formerly part of Brighton Belle.

http://www.belmond.com/british-pullman-train/british-pullman-carriages

Chingford's not too far from me, must check it out!
  • Options

Incident follows unsubstantiated claims on social networks that the currently unused church was to be transformed into a mosque

Loyalists?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Tim_B said:

coward :smile:
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited October 2015
    Not sure if it has been posted already or not but...

twitter.com/uk__news/status/658013885757194240
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Tim_B said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Sounds a bit like Labour in the UK.
    As left-wing parties increasingly lose elections, so the argument grows that right wing parties win by cheating.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Bill Bryson, a man who I greatly admire, wrote a book on his attempt on the Appalachian Trial. After reading that I was torn between, "Yes I really want to do it" (only if accompanied by several fierce and totally loyal German Shepherds, plus one or two people with light machine guns) and, "Sod that for a game of soldiers".

The USA can seem like a tricky place.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

@HYUFD

True, but in the Electoral College in 2012 Obama won 61% of Electoral College votes on only 51% of the popular vote, while Romney won only 38% of Electoral College votes despite winning 47% of the national popular vote
  • Options

If its the St Lukes off the Shankill Road, the local Islamic Community may forget it. There are people around there that will burn it down with them in it.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

What about "Hiking the Appalachian Trail"?
    When you hike the Appalachian Trail, you adopt a trail name. This guy chose 'AWOL'. He has a website that sells guides to the trail. He did hike the entire length - quite an achievement.

I got the book for $1.99 on Kindle Daily Deal. It's a great read but I have no desire at all to go through that.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

coward :smile:
    In this particular case, a badge I wear with pride. It takes about 6 months - at least.
  • Options

By the way there was an expression of interest to the Church of Ireland from individuals in the Islamic Community about buying it.