Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The great grad-non grad voting divide in both the US and U

Comments

• Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

They have also increased the minimum wage and taken the lowest earners out of tax.

Barely so far (not that I agree with large increases, as they hurt small businesses - I much prefer tax credits, especially since they can be targeted) and, with regards taking, "the lowest earners out of tax", a large chunk of that will have been taken by the VAT increase, especially those who don't work full time.
    Osborne's target of spending 35% of gdp by 2019 would be the same rate as Thatcher left and Blair spent in his early years, while below the OECD average it would also be the same rate as Australia
    35% in the context of increasing pension costs and NHS spending, the two biggest government outlays, due to an aging population represents a large net reduction in government spending elsewhere since Thatcher.

But I assume you already know that and are being disingenuous.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

The Tories will talk about and maybe deliver largely irrelevant tweaks to tax bands of £100-£200 per year for the majority but the "spectaculars" will be saved for the rich and the corporations. It will cut public services nationally and locally through cuts in support for councils so that those who rely on those services can no longer benefit from them. They will cut and cut and IF they deliver a surplus by 2020...they will attempt to buy the election with tax cuts and promises of more. The question will be whether, at the end of that process, they have persuaded enough of the electorate to turn it's back on the "have-nots".

Whoops, I forgot council tax cuts, thanks for reminding me!
    The Tories will concentrate on the lower and middle paid for the rest of this
  • Options
    The Tories will concentrate on the lower and middle paid for the rest of this Parliament and at the same time move onto the socially acceptable centre ground vacated by Corbyn's labour party
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,002
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Looks like the centre-right Civic Platform government has lost the Polish election. Hard-right Law and Justice party claiming victory.

@OliverCooper: Poland exit poll: Conservative-allied PiS 39.1%, liberal-conservative PO 23.4%, United Left 6.6%, populist Kukiz 9%, liberal N 7.1%.

That might be a boost for Cameron's renegotiation plans, although ideologically he is closer to PO, PiS is more anti EU. The President, Andrzej Duda, is already from PiS so this means both the Polish President and Parliament are now anti EU
    It will be a reaction to the immigration crisis and the EU's attempt to force nations into taking them. Eastern Europe does not have the colonial guilt Western Europe has, so feels far more comfortable saying no.
    Eastern Europe is certainly more socially conservative than Western Europe
    I like this map showing voting in the Polish election, and the old German/Prussian borders:

https://thepolitikalblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/polish-elections-v-imperial-germany-big.jpg
    Yes, PO almost completely ahead in the Old Germany/Prussia, PiS well ahead in the rest of Poland
    Though I think the population in Prussia comes mostly from the old Eastern Poland, which is now Belarus and Ukraine. There were mass involuntary population movements in the late 40's.
    I will take your word for it
    Millions of Germans had to move out of Poland in 1945.
    However as the results tonight prove their influence and links to western Europe in West Poland contrast with the clearly Eastern European and more Russian style values of the East
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841
    Oliver_PB said:

Oliver_PB said:

JEO said:

Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

Fascinating subject - however I do not believe there is an easy Translatlantic read-across.

The Democrats, despite the odd loopy policy, are still economically sensible, in the main, and proper patriots, too. It's quite understandable why clever people in LA and NYC might vote for them, after due consideration.

Corbyn's Labour party is economically psychotic, and wants to hand the Home Counties to ISIS, Argentina and Continuity IRA.

It is almost inexplicable how any sane Brit, especially one with a graduated brain, could swear allegiance to this neo-Marxist drivel - yet many do (half my lefty friends).

A puzzle.

There's definitely parallels between the modern GOP and the modern Conservative Party, where both run on an 'economic record' and a shout from the rooftops a policy of 'reducing the national debt' when, in practice, they do no such thing.

It makes you wonder where fiscal conservatives have gone on both side of the pond.
    This isn't a very sensible point, since the Conservatives have indeed cut the deficit substantially, while the American Republicans usually increase it. It seems Labour supporters still can't decide whether the Tories are cutting the deficit too fast or not fast enough.
    The Conservatives claim to be 'cutting the deficit', introducing swathing cuts and a large VAT rises while spending that income on
    Of course, Conservative supporters know this, and enjoy disingenuously selling the lie that the Conservative's priority is the deficit when it's anything but, aided by a compliant press. The Tories want eternal austerity so they can hide their ideological policies from the public.
    The Tories do not want eternal austerity and you watch the change in narrative from 20016-2020 with lots of tax breaks for the lower and middle paid and a more socially aware Tory party easily stepping into the void left by Labour
    I'll believe it when I see it. The right has been selling this as 'moderate' government while they have been gutting the BBC, privatising Royal Mail, cutting tax credits, swathing cuts to government, tougher benefit sanctions, increasing university fees to some of the highest in the world, forcing schools into becoming 'academies' etc. This current government is further to the right of Thatcher on the overwhelming majority of issues while pretending themselves as being moderate.
    The heaviest burden, in terms of changes in taxation, and cuts to benefits, has been borne by the richest 10% since 2010.
  • Options

The Tories will concentrate on the lower and middle paid for the rest of this Parliament and at the same time move onto the socially acceptable centre ground vacated by Corbyn's labour party

I doubt it - they are hammering the lower and middle paid. A signicant number of these are going to be £5000 to £10,000 worse off by 2020 - who the hell is going to vote Tory after that?
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

HYUFD said:

They have also increased the minimum wage and taken the lowest earners out of tax.

Barely so far (not that I agree with large increases, as they hurt small businesses - I much prefer tax credits, especially since they can be targeted) and, with regards taking, "the lowest earners out of tax", a large chunk of that will have been taken by the VAT increase, especially those who don't work full time.
    Osborne's target of spending 35% of gdp by 2019 would be the same rate as Thatcher left and Blair spent in his early years, while below the OECD average it would also be the same rate as Australia
    35% in the context of increasing pension costs and NHS spending, the two biggest government outlays, due to an aging population represents a large net reduction in government spending elsewhere since Thatcher.

But I assume you already know that and are being disingenuous.

Tax credits just subsidise low wages. In terms of pensions and healthcare ultimately we need to encourage those who can afford it to take out insurance as most other western nations do, spending ever more on an ageing population is not viable
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Looks like the centre-right Civic Platform government has lost the Polish election. Hard-right Law and Justice party claiming victory.

@OliverCooper: Poland exit poll: Conservative-allied PiS 39.1%, liberal-conservative PO 23.4%, United Left 6.6%, populist Kukiz 9%, liberal N 7.1%.

That might be a boost for Cameron's renegotiation plans, although ideologically he is closer to PO, PiS is more anti EU. The President, Andrzej Duda, is already from PiS so this means both the Polish President and Parliament are now anti EU
    It will be a reaction to the immigration crisis and the EU's attempt to force nations into taking them. Eastern Europe does not have the colonial guilt Western Europe has, so feels far more comfortable saying no.
    I like this map showing voting in the Polish election, and the old German/Prussian borders:

https://thepolitikalblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/polish-elections-v-imperial-germany-big.jpg
    Yes, PO almost completely ahead in the Old Germany/Prussia, PiS well ahead in the rest of Poland
    Though I think the population in Prussia comes mostly from the old Eastern Poland, which is now Belarus and Ukraine. There were mass involuntary population movements in the late 40's.
    However as the results tonight prove their influence and links to western Europe in West Poland contrast with the clearly Eastern European and more Russian style values of the East
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_population_transfers_(1944–1946)

A map of postwar Polish population movements. A high proportion of the population of the "recovered territories" of Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia came from the East, and leapfrogged the people in central Poland.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Sean_F said:

The heaviest burden, in terms of changes in taxation, and cuts to benefits, has been borne by the richest 10% since 2010.

"Richest 10%"? I seriously doubt it.

Highest earning 10%? Perhaps, depending on how you measure it (e.g. how do you quantify the changes to unemployment benefit which make sanctions more likely), and, of course, that will excludes the incoming tax credit cuts.
  • Options

I doubt it - they are hammering the lower and middle paid. A signicant number of these are going to be £5000 to £10,000 worse off by 2020 - who the hell is going to vote Tory after that?
    How many and what independent evidence do you have for this claim
  • Options

Look at the freakin news...tax credits, Big G
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Map ignores the Second Polish Republic boundary of 1918-39 (1945 de jure).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Polish_Republic
  • Options

Every poll has show backing for the benefits cap, inheritance tax cut, increase in the minimum wage and taking the lowest earners out of tax, on tax credits opinion is largely split, Tories generally in favour, Labour voters opposed
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

A map of postwar Polish population movements. A high proportion of the population of the "recovered territories" of Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia came from the East, and leapfrogged the people in central Poland.

Does not show unfortunately however regardless of the population movement 50 years ago tonight's results show a clear East West divide
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2015

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Tis already from PiS so this means both the Polish President and Parliament are now anti EU

I tend to side with HYUFD on this one, because Poland is not the only country to exhibit electoral behaviors that correlate strongly with pre-war borders, Romania and Ukraine have that too with the pre-1918 and pre-1939 borders appearing on electoral maps.
    In some cases the divide is new like in Germany which still shows large differences in east and west Germany along the 1949 border, or it could be centuries old like Tuscany vs the Kingdom of Naples showing up on Italian electoral maps even if Italy was unified in 1860.
    Not to mention the USA with the conservative confederacy.

• Options

My consituency 3,900 families will lose a total of £5 million...8,000 children will be growing up in poorer households...the knock on effects are going to be catastrophic
  • Options

Look at the freakin news...tax credits, Big G
    The tax credits will go through though maybe with tweaks but over the Parliament no one will lose the exaggerated sums you use
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

My consituency 3,900 families will lose a total of £5 million...8,000 children will be growing up in poorer households...the knock on effects are going to be catastrophic
    How many hours left to save them?
  • Options
    Kirchner's preferred successor, the centre-left Daniel Scioli, leads in exit polls tonight for the first round of Argentina's presidential election. It is unclear if he has run by a wide enough margin to avoid a run-off with his centre-right rival, Buenos Aires Mayor Mauricio Macri
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-34634210
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited October 2015
    No Conservative politician dare say it publicly of course but one of the biggest outcomes from the tax credit changes is going to be very significant behavioural change, ie:

- much more incentive for low earner couples (where both work) with kids to stay together
    - low earners much less likely to have 3rd and subsequent kids (post April 2017)

Of course they want to save money but I'm sure the above is a big part of the reason why they are doing this.
  • Options

Typical left wing rubbish
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Tis already from PiS so this means both the Polish President and Parliament are now anti EU

I tend to side with HYUFD on this one, because Poland is not the only country to exhibit electoral behaviors that correlate strongly with pre-war borders, Romania and Ukraine have that too with the pre-1918 and pre-1939 borders appearing on electoral maps.
    In some cases the divide is new like in Germany which still shows large differences in east and west Germany along the 1949 border, or it could be centuries old like Tuscany vs the Kingdom of Naples showing up on Italian electoral maps even if Italy was unified in 1860.
    Not to mention the USA with the conservative confederacy.

Yes, it is interesting
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2015

How much are they getting already? To use words such as "catastrophic" is utter nonsense, of course its not going to be easy, but lets be sensible... this isn't Greece.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No Conservative politician dare say it publicly of course but one of the biggest outcomes from the tax credit changes is going to be very significant behavioural change, ie:

- much more incentive for low earner couples (where both work) with kids to stay together
    - low earners much less likely to have 3rd and subsequent kids (post April 2017)

Of course they want to save money but I'm sure the above is a big part of the reason why they are doing this.

Absolutely agree with this.
  • Options
    Link to polish results, I think they should appear here:

http://parlament2015.pkw.gov.pl/
  • Options
    RobD said:

TWO MONTHS to save Christmas!!! :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Those part time mums will have to spend less time quaffing wine and watching daytime tv.
  • Options

MikeL said:

And the vast majority of the public would agree to.

It's just a shame they don't feel able to be honest and say it - but I fully understand why not - as they would be accused of social engineering etc etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MikeL said:

I think that's very presumptive based on people's behaviour being far more closely aligned to pretty marginal economics incentives than it is in the real world. I think a more likely outcome is more children living in poverty. In fact, it might even encourage larger families, as it does in the 3rd world.

Not that people having even fewer children is desirable given the aging population. Fewer unskilled immigrants and poor children? Can't wait to see the next generation's upper-middle-class kids having to do menial jobs.
  • Options

How much are they getting already? To use words such as "catastrophic" is utter nonsense, of course its not going to be easy, but lets be sensible... this isn't Greece.
    Couple on £22,000 two kids will lose £2,400...do you think this people have savings to dip in to? Do you think they find it easy to pay their rent or their mortgage now...they will lose £200 per month. There was a study a while back detailing the effect of a possible interest rate rise next year...this is equivalent to a 2% rise in interest rates
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Does not show unfortunately however regardless of the population movement 50 years ago tonight's results show a clear East West divide
    Yes, and there are real differences when travelling between the old Hapsburg, Czarist and Prussian derived areas of modern Poland. These changes may well be more to do with landscape and industry rather than with the origins of peoples 70 years ago. Few survivors from that period would have memories of life before modern Poland.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

It's just a shame they don't feel able to be honest and say it - but I fully understand why not - as they would be accused of social engineering etc etc.
    Yes, I'm sure the public would love the idea of battered spouses being trapped economically.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

I think that's very presumptive based on people's behaviour being far more closely aligned to pretty marginal economics incentives than it is in the real world. I think a more likely outcome is more children living in poverty. In fact, it might even encourage larger families, as it does in the 3rd world.

Not that people having even fewer children is desirable given the aging population. Fewer unskilled immigrants and poor children? Can't wait to see the next generation's upper-middle-class kids having to do menial jobs.
    Most people have to stop having children after 2 if you want more earn more to fund them, don't rely on benefits to support them
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

Kirchner's preferred successor, the centre-left Daniel Scioli, leads in exit polls tonight for the first round of Argentina's presidential election. It is unclear if he has run by a wide enough margin to avoid a run-off with his centre-right rival, Buenos Aires Mayor Mauricio Macri

Argentina has recovered swiftly from their recession, so the governing party pulled a Cameron, it also helped that the argentinian right has no economic credibility since the 2001 collapse.
    Even if it goes on towards a second round there is a second left wing candidate that ran and got a juicy vote that the government nominee can safely use to coast to victory.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

https://en.

Yes, and there are real differences when travelling between the old Hapsburg, Czarist and Prussian derived areas of modern Poland. These changes may well be more to do with landscape and industry rather than with the origins of peoples 70 years ago. Few survivors from that period would have memories of life before modern Poland.
    Interesting to speculate on the origins of the differences but differences there clearly are
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Most people have to stop having children after 2 if you want more earn more to fund them, don't rely on benefits to support them
    You don't see there being long-term problems by introducing polices that encourage the fertility rate to be below the replacement rate? You don't see children growing up in poverty as creating long-term problems?

If anything, the country should be incentivising people to have more children!
  • Options

Couple on £22,000 two kids will lose £2,400...do you think this people have savings to dip in to? Do you think they find it easy to pay their rent or their mortgage now...they will lose £200 per month. There was a study a while back detailing the effect of a possible interest rate rise next year...this is equivalent to a 2% rise in interest rates
    Peoples behaviour will change and some may lose initially but all the package over the next five years will make most much better off. Any idea interest rates will rise by 2% next year is another smoke screen - any rises will be small and prolonged if at all
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited October 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Prussian province of Posen was already 62% Polish in 1919, when it was ceded to Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Posen

• Options
    Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Yes, I'm sure the public would love the idea of battered spouses being trapped economically.
    Indeed, family finances are often a subject and cause of conflict.

Though breaking the culture of welfare dependancy is part of the goal of the policy, this will take years. A degree of transitional relief for existing claimants seems wise.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    A last note on the polish elections, based on the opinion polls the cameronian PO was coasting towards victory until they endorsed the Merkel immigration plan, that cost them 15 points on the opinion polls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_parliamentary_election,_2015#/media/File:Model_sondaży.png
  • Options

Peoples behaviour will change and some may lose initially but all the package over the next five years will make most much better off. Any idea interest rates will rise by 2% next year is another smoke screen - any rises will be small and prolonged if at all
    Yes...that's the point. This £200 per month is coming NEXT April. You have no idea, do you?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Tell me something...why did Osborne not restrict Child Benefit to two children?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Speedy said:

Link to polish results, I think they should appear here:

http://parlament2015.pkw.gov.pl/

Thanks, I was searching for a page like this.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Though breaking the culture of welfare dependancy is part of the goal of the policy, this will take years.

The right cares more about "welfare dependency" than helping poor people, even if it means battered spouses are forced to stay with their their other halves because they can't afford to do anything else.

Says a lot about the warped, amoral mindset of those on the right.

• Options

Yes...that's the point. This £200 per month is coming NEXT April. You have no idea, do you?
    You are out of order - I am well aware of the implications but tax credits have to be reduced and eventually withdrawn all together. The IFS stated 3 million families would lose £1,300 in the first year not the figures you are quoting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tom Watson intervened in four separate sexual abuse cases in letters to successive directors of public prosecutions, the Daily Telegraph has learnt.

Four of his letters were about individual cases, none of which are understood to have involved constituents. In at least two of the cases the alleged perpetrators have since been formally cleared.

This newspaper has obtained a list showing the full extent Mr Watson's correspondence with Ms Saunders and Sir Keir, who is now a member of Labour's front bench. It includes letters written by Mr Watson about two cases where his involvement is disclosed for the first time today.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11954238/Tom-Watson-Revealed-the-full-extent-of-his-contact-with-the-DPP.html
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Argentina has recovered swiftly from their recession, so the governing party pulled a Cameron, it also helped that the argentinian right has no economic credibility since the 2001 collapse.
    Even if it goes on towards a second round there is a second left wing candidate that ran and got a juicy vote that the government nominee can safely use to coast to victory.
    Yes looks like Peronism continues
  • Options

You are out of order - I am well aware of the implications but tax credits have to be reduced and eventually withdrawn all together. The IFS stated 3 million families would lose £1,300 in the first year not the figures you are quoting.
    Google a tax credit calculator and check. The IFS figure is an AVERAGE, by definition some will be less ans some will be more...some will be £2,400
  • Options

You are out of order - I am well aware of the implications but tax credits have to be reduced and eventually withdrawn all together..

Let's be clear: they don't "have to be", you want them to be, because you ideologically believe that the principle of "welfare dependency" matters more than people living in poverty.

I'm interested what policies you would introduce to help the poor, especially poor children, and reduce the inevitable inequality caused by "free market" policies. Or do you just deny there's a problem?
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

You don't see there being long-term problems by introducing polices that encourage the fertility rate to be below the replacement rate? You don't see children growing up in poverty as creating long-term problems?

Our fertility rate is actually relatively good for developed nations, nations like Japan and Germany and Italy have more problems than we do. We already have population pressures as it is in terms of housing etc People having more children than they can afford would create long-term problems, yes
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2015

Assuming that's true, your evidence in support of "a significant number of these are going to be £5,000 to £10,000 worse off" is that some families are going to be £1,300 worse off. How convincing...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

He cut child benefit for those earning more than £50,000 a year in 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Our fertility rate is actually relatively good for developed nations, nations like Japan and Germany and Italy have more problems than we do. We already have population pressures as it is in terms of housing etc
    The UK's fertility rate is 1.9, below the replacement rate, and they are introducing policies to reduce it further. I imagine it would be far lower without immigration, which governments are proposing to cut, especially unskilled immigration.
    People having more children than they can afford would create long-term problems, yes
    Well, no, it's not a long-term problem, as those children go into work and pay taxes. An aging population is a long-term problem as those people expect to get a pension once retired and need more healthcare. The tax revenue needs to come from somewhere.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

You are out of order - I am well aware of the implications but tax credits have to be reduced and eventually withdrawn all together..

Let's be clear: they don't "have to be", you want them to be, because you ideologically believe that the principle of "welfare dependency" matters more than people living in poverty.

I'm interested what policies you would introduce to help the poor, especially poor children, and reduce the inevitable inequality caused by "free market" policies. Or do you just deny there's a problem?
    Like so many on here and like nearly every Tory MP who voted to cut tax credits he doesn't know what impact it will have because he's never been in that situation.

As I said before if it was about reducing individual's reliance on benefits then Osborne would have restricted Child Benefit to two children. But that would have impacted on "welfare dependency" of those on family incomes of £50,000...and they vote Tory
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

The root of this problem is that it subsidises employers to pay low wages. Higher wages together with increasing tax allowances and child care will move people away from state aid and will release much needed money into the NHS and at the same time lift more people and children out of poverty. why is it that the left think they are the only ones with compassion - they are not
  • Options
    I'd like to see these numbers taking into account all the policies since 2010.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Yes looks like Peronism continues
    When the alternative are the people of Carlos Menem, I think Peronism is quite fine for Argentina.
  • Options

Nobody is being patronising. You sensitively bemoaned the fact that OGH was setting a theme in the header, that "The underlying theme of the header is only thickos vote ukip". You said that, not me.

You're wrong, he never once used the word thickos. I never once used the word thickos. You read non-graduate as thickos. You did that, not OGH, not me, not "Conservatives" in general. You and you alone.

So if you're being patronised then take a good long look in the mirror to see who is doing it.

I'm not being patronised.

You're a very angry young man Mr Thompson, prone to personal abuse, that will hold you back in every aspect of your life.

Though you are being condescending I'm neither angry nor patronising. It is neither my fault nor OGH's fault that you see offence where none was made.

Your complaints are just another form of political correctness. We can't address how graduates do or do not vote because it may offend "thickos" by your insinuation? That is absurd.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Yes he did...but not for couples was it?. A working couple each earning £40,000 still get full child benefit...why did he not restrict child benefit to two children?
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Can I ask why you put free market in quotation marks? Do you deny the free market exists in today's world?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Oliver_PB said:

Like so many on here and like nearly every Tory MP who voted to cut tax credits he doesn't know what impact it will have because he's never been in that situation.

As I said before if it was about reducing individual's reliance on benefits then Osborne would have restricted Child Benefit to two children. But that would have impacted on "welfare dependency" of those on family incomes of £50,000...and they vote Tory
    Just because you aren't in the same situation doesn't mean that they don't know what the implications are.

And hasn't child benefit been limited as you describe?
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

The root of this problem is that it subsidises employers to pay low wages. Higher wages together with increasing tax allowances and child care will move people away from state aid and will release much needed money into the NHS and at the same time lift more people and children out of poverty. why is it that the left think they are the only ones with compassion - they are not
    Ha ha...my God...you actually believe what you wrote, don't you?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Looks like the centre-right Civic Platform government has lost the Polish

The Prussian province of Posen was already 65% Polish in 1919, when it was ceded to Poland.

Though much of this area was subject to murder, deportation and Germanisation of racially suitable peoples, as well as murder of Jews and Polish intellectuals. Those 1919 population figures were rather obsolete by 1945.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanization

Many British Poles are also descended from Eastern Poland, as these areas were subject to deportations to Siberia and Kazakstan in 1939-41. These Poles then travelled via Iran and East Africa to form the main body of the Polish Army and Air Force, many of whom settled post war in Leicestershire.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Just because you aren't in the same situation doesn't mean that they don't know what the implications are.

No it hasn't
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

You've certainly blown his argument out of the water with that comment.

*WARNING: This comment may contain sarcasm*
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Our fertility rate is actually relatively good for developed nations, nations like Japan and Germany and Italy have more problems than we do. We already have population pressures as it is in terms of housing etc
    The UK's fertility rate is 1.9, below the replacement rate, and they are introducing policies to reduce it further. I imagine it would be far lower without immigration, which governments are proposing to cut, especially unskilled immigration.
    People having more children than they can afford would create long-term problems, yes
    Well, no, it's not a long-term problem, as those children go into work and pay taxes. An aging population is a long-term problem as those people expect to get a pension once retired and need more healthcare. The tax revenue needs to come from somewhere.

The UK's population is forecast to be 77 million by 2050, the largest in Europe and we are already one of the most congested nations on earth.
    http://www.cityam.com/221125/population-growth-uk-become-biggest-country-european-union-2050

Those children need to be paid for first when they are raised and pensions and healthcare need to be funded more by insurance longer term than taxation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Yes he did...but not for couples was it?. A working couple each earning £40,000 still get full child benefit...why did he not restrict child benefit to two children?
    He has cut tax credits to two children, I have no problem restricting child benefit to two children but I am not Chancellor
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Tell me Rod...why do you think Osborne did not restrict child benefit to two children?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

He has cut tax credits to two children, I have no problem restricting child benefit to two children but I am not Chancellor
    Why do you think he didn't do that...I reckon it's because it would upset a lot of Tory voters. Now tell me again...how important is reducing the deficit?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: Looks like the centre-right Civic Platform government has lost the Polish

e

The Prussian province of Posen was already 65% Polish in 1919, when it was ceded to Poland.

Though much of this area was subject to murder, deportation and Germanisation of racially suitable peoples, as well as murder of Jews and Polish intellectuals. Those 1919 population figures were rather obsolete by 1945.

Many British Poles are also descended from Eastern Poland, as these areas were subject to deportations to Siberia and Kazakstan in 1939-41. These Poles then travelled via Iran and East Africa to form the main body of the Polish Army and Air Force, many of whom settled post war in Leicestershire.
    And in the american civil war the population of the confederacy dropped from 9.1 million at the beginning to 3 million by the end, yet almost all former confederate states more than 150 years later still vote for conservative parties.
  • Options

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Tell me Rod...why do you think Osborne did not restrict child benefit to two children?
    Clearly you can't read (my name is Rob). He has restricted child benefit to two children, albeit effective 2017

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/budget-2015-child-tax-credits-6026481
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

My point is that the majority population were Polish in and around Poznan long before 1945. So superimposing the 1919 boundary of Germany onto tonight's election result may not be valid
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

No point in entering any further discussion - why do the left constantly insult those that have another view
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

No point in entering any further discussion - why do the left constantly insult those that have another view
    Shut it, Tory Scum!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Clearly you can't read (my name is Rob). He has restricted child benefit to two children, albeit effective 2017

It's necessary to cut down on the birth rate because Tories can't keep up with the current level of baby eating required.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

It's necessary to cut down on the birth rate because Tories can't keep up with the current level of baby eating required.
    I am getting rather portly, I must admit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Oliver_PB said:

The root of this problem is that it subsidises employers to pay low wages. Higher wages together with increasing tax allowances and child care will move people away from state aid and will release much needed money into the NHS and at the same time lift more people and children out of poverty.
    It's a targeted subsidy to certain demographics. In practice, minimum wage and tax credits do the same damn thing. Besides, we used to be able to claw back subsidies via corporation tax before "free markets" and Conservatives cuts destroyed that revenue source. Indeed, it's worth remembering that tax credits were based on negative income taxes, a long-held right-wing policy to lift the poor out of poverty!

Universal wage increases will be eaten up by increasing costs of living. Universal wage increases are useless in a vacuum.

"Child care" subsidies are self-evidently horrible and are a far worse way of doing what tax credits do.

High minimum wages overwhelmingly hurt small businesses, who don't have capital, and benefit large corporations who can invest in technology to reduce manpower.

And there is nothing inherently wrong with state aid unless you're ideologically opposed to the principle.
    why is it that the left think they are the only ones with compassion - they are not
    In general, the right claim to be compassionate while refuses to do anything about it. I find it deeply cynical.

And it also partially comes down my upbringing - my parents were hardline right-wingers. They worked all hours, badly neglected me (asserting "personal responsibility", boldly extending that principle to young children) and we lived in squalor while they endlessly gambled, drank and chainsmoked. This inevitably gives me a very, very cynical view of the right as the contradictions of their world view slowly added up, even growing up in a household that passionately hated the left. I've consequently steadily became more and more left-wing as I've become older.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

e

And in the american civil war the population of the confederacy dropped from 9.1 million at the beginning to 3 million by the end, yet almost all former confederate states more than 150 years later still vote for conservative parties.
    That's a recent phenomenon. The South was solidly Democrat: so much so that they had 'yellow dog' democrats, the line being that voters would vote for a little yellow dog if it was a Democrat.

What changed it was the passage of the Civil Rights Act. LBJ said on signing it that it would cost his party the South for a generation. Its turned out to be longer than that.
  • Options

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
    (was just joking around, incase that didn't come across correctly!)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Why do you think he didn't do that...I reckon it's because it would upset a lot of Tory voters. Now tell me again...how important is reducing the deficit?
    He cut it for higher earning voters though who tend to be Tories
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

He has restricted child benefit to two children, albeit effective 2017

He hasn't actually.

Read the article carefully - he has restricted Child Tax Credits to 2 children from April 2017. Not Child Benefit.

I wish he had but he hasn't.

Reasons he didn't:

1) Cameron's pledge re Child Benefit

2) (Much more importantly) - Child Benefit is Mickey Mouse - it's £1,000 for the first child and £700 for each subsequent one. In comparison the AVERAGE Tax Credit claim is over £6,000 - and many get far, far more.

You can't make serious money out of Child Benefit. You can out of Tax Credits.

My point re couples breaking up also doesn't apply to Child Benefit - it makes no difference what household income is - unless someone earns over £50k - but even then it makes no difference if the couple splits up.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

He has restricted child benefit to two children, albeit effective 2017

He hasn't actually.

Read the article carefully - he has restricted Child Tax Credits to 2 children from April 2017. Not Child Benefit.

I wish he had but he hasn't.

Reasons he didn't:

1) Cameron's pledge re Child Benefit

2) (Much more importantly) - Child Benefit is Mickey Mouse - it's £1,000 for the first child and £700 for each subsequent one. In comparison the AVERAGE Tax Credit claim is over £6,000 - and many get far, far more.

You can't make serious money out of Child Benefit. You can out of Tax Credits.

My point re couples breaking up also doesn't apply to Child Benefit - it makes no difference what household income is - unless someone earns over £50k - but even then it makes no difference if the couple splits up.
    Ah, I hadn't appreciated the fact that they were two different things! Thanks.

Sounds like he has made the bigger of the two cuts though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
    Yes I realised that after I had posted. Still learning the nuances of PB
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
    We're all PB Tory Scum.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
    We're all PB Tory Scum.
    Seems most labour MPs are as well apparently
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver_PB said:

Shut it, Tory Scum!
    Point made
    We're all PB Tory Scum.
    Seems most labour MPs are as well apparently
    The scummiest of the lot! :D
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCoop.

e

Though I think

Though much of this area was subject to murder, deportation and Germanisation of racially suitable peoples, as well as murder of Jews and Polish intellectuals. Those 1919 population figures were rather obsolete
    Not sure where those figures come from. Recent figures suggest both sides in the Civil War together lost 750 000 men in Combat and service, the figure for civilians is less clear but could not stretch to your figure of six million. And until the 1980's the South was pretty solidly Democrat. The 3 Southern postwar Presidents (LBJ, Carter and Clinton) could not be fairly described as Conservatives either.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/civil-war-toll-up-by-20-percent-in-new-estimate.html?referer=
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Oliver_PB said:

In general, the right claim to be compassionate while refuses to do anything about it. I find it deeply cynical.

And it also partially comes down my upbringing - my parents were hardline right-wingers. They worked all hours, badly neglected me (asserting "personal responsibility", boldly extending that principle to young children) and we lived in squalor while they endlessly gambled, drank and chainsmoked. This inevitably gives me a very, very cynical view of the right as the contradictions of their world view slowly added up, even growing up in a household that passionately hated the left. I've consequently steadily became more and more left-wing as I've become older.

Proper hardline right wing parents would have sent you up chimneys or down the coal mines when you turned 8 and earn a wage.

You had it easy, sunshine. We lived in a shoebox in the middle of the road until Thatcher sold it off.
  • Options

RobD said:

How many hours left to save the Galactic Senate??
  • Options

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCoop.

e

Though I think
    East

Not sure where those figures come from. Recent figures suggest both sides in the Civil War together lost 750 000 men in Combat and service, the figure for civilians is less clear but could not stretch to your figure of six million. And until the 1980's the South was pretty solidly Democrat. The 3 Southern postwar Presidents (LBJ, Carter and Clinton) could not be fairly described as Conservatives either.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/civil-war-toll-up-by-20-percent-in-new-estimate.html?referer=
    My statistics come from here:

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/phall/HSUS.pdf

And the Democratic party was mostly a conservative party on economic issues until 1896 and conservative on social issues until 1960 or 1980 (since Carter was the last social conservative democrat President), as the Democrats became more left wing on social issues the Republicans became more right wing and now they dominate the former confederacy instead of the Democrats.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

"Ed Leader, this is Gold Leader. We're starting for the target shaft now!" :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

"Ed Leader, this is Gold Leader. We're starting for the target shaft now!" :lol:
    Poor Shaft. He's got no idea what's coming to him.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited October 2015
    OT Kate Hoey taken in by the #PortugalCoup twitter hoax:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KateHoeyMP/status/658421428056891393

Love all these confused tweets from people who can't understand why the mainstream media isn't covering it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCoop.

e

Though I think
    East

My statistics come from here:

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/phall/HSUS.pdf

And the Democratic party was mostly a conservative party on economic issues until 1896 and conservative on social issues until 1960 or 1980 (since Carter was the last social conservative democrat President), as the Democrats became more left wing on social issues the Republicans became more right wing and now they dominate the former confederacy instead of the Democrats.

Goodnight.
    The population figure for the CSA was so low because that was the de facto figure for that territory controlled by the Confederates in 1864.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Don't they measure time in parsecs?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Don't they measure time in parsecs?
    I like the idea that it was a shortcut in a region full of anomalies :D
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited October 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

ur party

"Good shot, Ed Two!" :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oliver_PB said:

MikeL said:

Oops - Its already been eliminated for high income earners.

Child Benefit unlike Child Tax Credits is not means tested. Meaning that getting it doesn't put you on a vicious 80% marginal tax rate and a cap on aspiration like you so adore.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

When the original Richard Roundtree movie came out, in the early 70s I saw it in Spain, with Spanish subtitles.

The place erupted with laughter when the subtitles in Spanish said "Kiss my black donkey."