Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Great Corbyn leader rating divide

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    taffys said:

''I fear that the chances of us going into the next recession with a balanced budget, let alone having made any impact on the debt mountain overhanging us, Aberfan like, are vanishingly slim. ''

I disagree. Anybody who read the appalling details of the public sector rich list will question the resolve of Osborne to slash the public sector in the right places.

This is still going on after six years of his chancellorship?? do me a favour.

Yup

• Options

taffys said:

I have been pointing this out for the last 5 years. :-)

To be fair Osborne was constrained by the lib dems for those 5 years. He had limited influence. He ain't constrained now.

Osborne is just where the left want him, falling between two stools. Not balancing the budget, and not satisfying those who want a spendathon either.

Constrained ?

The man's a politician, are you saying he can't cut a deal in areas where he and the LDs shared views ? fact is he's Brown's mini-me. He dabbles in everything and ignores the day job.

We have now had 18 years of political CoEs trying to get their boss' job, time for a reformer.
    I pointed out early today that Osborne's honeymoon was over, his record is going to come under scrutiny now. Some will argue that he did better under the coalition which is extremely damning.

Quite so,

He no longer has a flak jacket called Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: The @Ed_Miliband interview on @BBCr4today was profoundly depressing. 'I take full responsibility for getting everything right'. Oh Vanity.

How much is Ed to blame for the current mess Labour find themselves in? A question for history perhaps, but personally I'd say a great deal.
    One of Ed's mistakes was to try and keep the party united, which he did do reasonably successfully.

This was at a cost of increasing dissatisfaction of the membership, and (it must be said) increasingly muddled policy.

The Golden Rule of Civil Wars is -- If you are going to have a Civil War, have it and get it over quickly.

Ed's procrastination has made the forces in the Labour Civil War more evenly matched, and so the fight will now be bloodier than it would have been in 2010.

That's all very well as long as you know that you are going to have a civil war. Was one inevitable? Absolutely not. But for the MPs lending Corbyn their votes, we would never have seen him as leader and without that, whatever the theoretical wishes of the membership, Labour would probably be tootling along under Cooper or Burnham. The power of the left would never have been realised because even if it existed - which given what has happened, it clearly did - without someone to rally round, it would never have been evident: polls would not have named a far-left candidate, never mind voters being given a chance to support them.

Without understanding the extent of their own latent power, it's highly unlikely that the current efforts of the left, to grab control of CLPs and the NEC would have been successful, if it had even been tried in any organised way (which would have been more difficult without the leadership anyway).

It was the fact that Corbyn ended up on the ballot, combined with the booster effect that the three-quidders gave him that has resulted in the Moderate Sandwich - moderate MPs squeezed by the leadership on one side and the membership on the other. While the three-quidders didn't elect Cobyn in the end - he had enough membership votes even without them - they were hugely important in allowing his campaign to reach terminal velocity.

I don't think a civil war was inevitable though EdM's changes and vacillation as leader greatly increased the risk of one. Now, the risk is not of a civil war - that's already underway - it's whether it becomes a fight to the death or not.
    Putting Corbyn on the ballot was not the key to his success. I have little doubt that Harriet Harman's response to the July Budget carries the can for that. Had she not been so maladroit Corbyn would probably emerged from the contest in third place - at best.
  • Options
    In May when the prospect of Osborne no longer being Chancellor looked realistic, the voters came out for the Tories, boosting their votes and seats and giving them a majority.

The voters didn't want to lose the genius of George Osborne from the Treasury.

The people have spoken, and no one ever got rich from underestimating Osborne.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    tlg86 said:

How useful are such polls without clear questions?

There are 4 possible groups:

1. Those who approve wholeheartedly of IS, its aims & means. They are willing/likely to join them.
    2. Those who would not join themselves but understand IS's attraction (the "pull" factor) and/or have some sympathy for why others join (the "push" factor). They may be willing to assist/turn a blind eye to others' actions.
    3. Those who abhor the violence used by IS but think in general terms that it would be better, cet.par., for Muslims to live in an Islamic caliphate subject to sharia law. Some of this group may also think that Muslims in a non-Islamic country should be subject to sharia law rather than the secular law of the country concerned.
    4. Those who abhor both the violence used by IS & its aims i.e. they see themselves as both citizens of the countries they live in and Muslim and no contradiction between the two. Within this group there are those who feel that they should not be held responsible and criticised for the actions of those falling within 1 & possibly also 2) and those who, while agreeing with this, feel that in order to reduce the numbers falling within the first two groups they need to take more active steps to stop this happening. These latter two may also be the source of intelligence against those in 1 & 2.

Ideally, we'd like to have everyone fall into 4 and none in 1. That is not the case. Those in 2 are also a problem because they provide implicit support for those in 1 - the sea, as it were, in which the terrorist fish can swim.

No. 3 is a bit more ambivalent. Having a vague ideal which you do nothing to bring about and/or which you recognise has next to no chance of coming about is fine - though it may be perceived as less fine at a time of increasing terror risk & jangled nerves. It's when this morphs into providing a religious/ideological/intellectual/cultural [take your pick] justification for the actions of those in the previous two groups that it can become a problem. Separately, the idea that certain groups should be subject to separate laws based on their religion can be a real problem because it implies that not everyone is subject to the same laws/equal under them. This is heightened when one legal system is completely at odds with the main one in the country.

What is undeniable is that even if the numbers in 1/2 are relatively small even a small number can create chaos. After all, the actions of 8-9 people have led to a major European country into a national state of emergency. The consequent search for one man has shut down the capital city of another country for 3 days.

If the numbers are larger - and who would bet against that after recent events - that is going to have severe implications for the structure of & resources devoted to policing & intelligence work across Europe, which the political class have not even begun to digest.
  • Options

In May when the prospect of Osborne no longer being Chancellor looked realistic, the voters came out for the Tories, boosting their votes and seats and giving them a majority.

we all underrate him because he makes no-one rich.

And as we all know he's only in place because of Nicola.

The glitter is falling off the turd.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

The people spoke, they decided that Osborne's pledges were more plausible than the others, its turned out they were nothing more than hot air. In 2010 Cameron said he'd eliminate the deficit and get immigration down to tens of thousands and the seals clapped enthusiastically.

He and Osborne are nothing more than convincing liars that tribal tories lap up.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

JackW said:

Haven't there been droughts in some US states for a number of years now? Have those droughts had similar effects? And, if not, why not? Perhaps Charles might care to look more closely and then come back with his considered views. As it is, he gives the impression of regurgitating the views of whoever last spoke to him. And, more importantly, the key quality we need from a royal family is to be, to be seen, to be a cipher and a symbol and not, really, to be heard at all, especially when the person we are hearing from is really not very bright but thinks he has some special insight largely because, I would guess, no-one around him challenges him and tells him that he is talking balls. Being dutiful and a bit dim are admirable qualities in a monarch; not so admirable in someone who seeks to pontificate on complex matters.
    Are people being forced off the land in the US? If so is there other work for them to do in that democratic and stable nation?
    Isn't that precisely the point? The political and economic environment in the US meant that the consequences of a drought were better handled. It's the political and economic environment in Syria that was the issue not the droughts.

Yes that is the point I was making. If the US had been poorer, an autocratic state and less stable then the drought may have had a similar effect.
    You said "Haven't there been droughts in some US states for a number of years now? Have those droughts had similar effects?"
    Well I think that we can agree about the reason the US remained stable.
    The point of disagreement now is that you consider the drought in Syria wasn't a contributory factor. You then say "It's the political and economic environment in Syria that was the issue". Well wouldn't the drought affect the economic wellbeing of the people?
    It would affect the wellbeing if other measures are not in place to mitigate its effects. I don't think we fundamentally disagree. I was taking issue with the rather simplistic and reductive view being expressed by Prince Charles, which seemed to say more about his views on climate change than on the inability of the Syrian people and the Syrian state to cope with a natural phenomenon which has affected plenty of other countries without the same consequences.

It is not a given to say that a drought leads to civil war anymore than a tsunami leads to terrorism.
  • Options

But Labour's problem is that the Corbynites *are* representative of the activist base. They're just not representative of the passivist base, nor were they remotely interested in appealing to the floating voter.

That's not quite the whole story, though. After the catastrophic misjudgement by MPs in getting Corbyn on to the ballot, some of the moderate party members (a sample of whom are represented here on PB) made a second catastrophic error, namely to think that the fact that the other three candidates were so useless meant that they might as well vote for Corbyn. This of course was a non-sequitur: yes, the other three candidates were poor to abysmal, but at least two of them would have held the line and prevented the total collapse of Labour which now looks likely.

It's a new twist on Voltaire's 'the best is the enemy of the good'. In this case the bad was the friend of the disastrous.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

taffys said:

To be fair Osborne was constrained by the lib dems for those 5 years. He had limited influence. He ain't constrained now.

Osborne is just where the left want him, falling between two stools. Not balancing the budget, and not satisfying those who want a spendathon either.

Constrained ?

The man's a politician, are you saying he can't cut a deal in areas where he and the LDs shared views ? fact is he's Brown's mini-me. He dabbles in everything and ignores the day job.

We have now had 18 years of political CoEs trying to get their boss' job, time for a reformer.
    I pointed out early today that Osborne's honeymoon was over, his record is going to come under scrutiny now. Some will argue that he did better under the coalition which is extremely damning.

Quite so,

Arent we all jumping the gun here.
    Lets wait until Wednesday to see what the spending plans really are.
    Over the last 5 years we have become used to the LDs leaking all his plans ahead of time. This set of announcements could contain real surprises.
  • Options

But Labour's problem is that the Corbynites *are* representative of the activist base. They're just not representative of the passivist base, nor were they remotely interested in appealing to the floating voter.

That's not quite the whole story, though. After the catastrophic misjudgement by MPs in getting Corbyn on to the ballot, some of the moderate party members (a sample of whom are represented here on PB) made a second catastrophic error, namely to think that the fact that the other three candidates were so useless meant that they might as well vote for Corbyn. This of course was a non-sequitur: yes, the other three candidates were poor to abysmal, but at least two of them would have held the line and prevented the total collapse of Labour which now looks likely.

It's a new twist on Voltaire's 'the best is the enemy of the good'. In this case the bad was the friend of the disastrous.
    I don't think either members or supporters are inevitably or permanently wedded to Corbynism. They're looking for Labour to be a moral crusade. Jeremy Corbyn offered that. The other candidates didn't.

More centrist Labour MPs should be thinking carefully about what Labour as a moral crusade should look like in 2015.
  • Options

The people spoke, they decided that Osborne's pledges were more plausible than the others, its turned out they were nothing more than hot air. In 2010 Cameron said he'd eliminate the deficit and get immigration down to tens of thousands and the seals clapped enthusiastically.

He and Osborne are nothing more than convincing liars that tribal tories lap up.

Talking of liars, how is the new UKIP leader doing after Farage honoured his promise to stand down if he didn't win South Thanet?
  • Options

Talking of liars, how is the new UKIP leader doing after Farage honoured his promise to stand down if he didn't win South Thanet?
    Is that really the best you can do?

• Options
    timmo said:

taffys said:

Constrained ?

Quite so,

Over the last 5 years we have become used to the LDs leaking all his plans ahead of time. This set of announcements could contain real surprises.
    The omnishambles budget showed nobody leaks more than GO.

However my expectations are set suitably low, once we've had the showmanship, we get to learn what he didn't tell us. That's when the fun starts.
  • Options

Although that's true, Corbyn would almost certainly have won anyway, even without the support of the misguided mainstream. I don't think the three-quidders would have voted significantly differently whatever the party's mainstream was doing; all the evidence is that they were a push rather than pulled factor. Had the NickP's of this world backed Burnham or Cooper, Corbyn would have won anyway. After all, a first-round vote of about 42% would have seen him over the line; he won nearly 60%.

However, what that massive mandate does mean is that it will be far harder to get rid of him. A final round knife-edge result (as per EdM vs DM) would have left him far more vulnerable than the way the numbers did work out. Had he been taken to a second or third round, it would have looked a good deal closer than the landslide that did result.
  • Options

I don't think either members or supporters are inevitably or permanently wedded to Corbynism. They're looking for Labour to be a moral crusade. Jeremy Corbyn offered that. The other candidates didn't.

More centrist Labour MPs should be thinking carefully about what Labour as a moral crusade should look like in 2015.

Yes, I think you are right - your article of the previous thread was excellent BTW.

Some of my friends who are interested in politics are convinced that Corbyn will be ousted soon, but that is because they are looking at what 'Labour' ought to do. I try to explain that the problem is that 'Labour' as an abstract concept doesn't have the combination of the will and the means to oust him; MPs don't have the power, and the members don't have the will.
  • Options

taffys said:

Constrained ?
    Agreed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited November 2015
    Cyclefree said:

It would affect the wellbeing if other measures are not in place to mitigate its effects. I don't think we fundamentally disagree. I was taking issue with the rather simplistic and reductive view being expressed by Prince Charles, which seemed to say more about his views on climate change than on the inability of the Syrian people and the Syrian state to cope with a natural phenomenon which has affected plenty of other countries without the same consequences.

It is not a given to say that a drought leads to civil war anymore than a tsunami leads to terrorism.

There's a great book by Parker http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Crisis-Climate-Catastrophe-Seventeenth/dp/0300153236, that makes the case that a lot of the rebellions and the like in the seventeenth century were caused by climate change.

Not wholly sure I buy it (there are lots of other factors at play), but very interesting all the same
  • Options
    Putting aside the ComRes Independent polls -which have appeared consistently well out of line with other pollsters in the same way that Angus Reid did prior to the 2010 election - the Tory lead seems to be much where it was in May - ie 6 or 7%. That is a clear lead, but it is far from being massive and is barely half the 12 to 15% lead the Tories were enjoying at the end of 1987 six months following Thatcher's third election victory - indeed the Tories remained pretty consistently ahead in that Parliament until early 1989. Going back further to the 1959 Parliament , in the Spring of 1960 Labour was further adrift of the Tories than at the previous election - and had lost the Brighouse & Spenborough by election to them - a very rare Government gain from the Opposition. So whilst things look far from bright for Labour at present , they have been worse,and the public mood can quickly change - particularly if the view gains ground that Osborne & Cameron conned their way to re-election.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership is already over. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-leadership. He may stay in situ beyond the guaranteed catastrophe of next May’s various electoral tests; horrifyingly, he may even cling on, like some energy-sucking wraith, until the next general election, ensuring a historically unprecedented mauling. If he does, he will leave behind him a desiccated corpse, a Labour Party locked in an eternal scream and locked out of power, and his name will live in infamy. Whatever, he will not, and cannot, lead. He makes IDS look like FDR.
    https://medium.com/@chrisdeerin/the-corbyn-show-is-already-over-but-let-s-keep-laughing-9e65520adaaf#.2tqajijaw
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

They weren't promises, they were targets, which were not achieved for various reasons which you don't want to know about because it would unhinge your prejudices.

• Options
    @JoeWatts_: The @BMGresearch poll shows for "centrist" voters, the % thinking Lab is becoming unelectable jumps to a huge 71% https://t.co/gSVqrM95e3
  • Options
    I've decided I like Corbyn, I disagree with virtually everything he says but he clearly believes it himself, he's going to live by his principles, those that he was elected to represent. If he fails so be it, his conscience will be clear.

We need more people standing up for what they believe in as opposed to saying what they think will get their filthy hands on power.
  • Options
    perdix said:

They weren't promises, they were targets, which were not achieved for various reasons which you don't want to know about because it would unhinge your prejudices.

And what are my prejudices?

• Options

I've decided I like Corbyn, I disagree with virtually everything he says but he clearly believes it himself, he's going to live by his principles, those that he was elected to represent. If he fails so be it, his conscience will be clear.

We need more people standing up for what they believe in as opposed to saying what they think will get their filthy hands on power.

Like ISIS then..? :-)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015

So you must really hate John Bickley and Nigel Farage, then, given that they have produced one of the most blatantly dishonest election leaflets of modern times:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/fight-for-oldham-west-seat-gets-dirty-with-fake-election-leaflet/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759
    edited November 2015
    glw said:

Whenever people moan about the Nimrod MRA4 being cancelled, they never acknowledge that those aircraft have had a history of serious problems that have caused trouble for multiple programmes. I don't know if the Boeing P-8 Poseidon is the right aircraft, but it is probably better and cheaper than anything we would have built by going it alone.

Keeping Sentinel running, buying Rivet Joint, buying the P-8, buying the extended range Reaper, keeping more Typhoons operational, are all good decisions. Whispers it quietly but maybe the MOD/Treasury are doing a decent job.

Rivet Joint (Boeing), Sentinel (Raytheon), Sentry (Boeing), Reaper (General Atomics), Atlas (Airbus), Voyager (Airbus)...

Hmm.

Have they stopped buying BAE?

EDIT: blockquote tag incorrectly retained, now removed
  • Options
    @EuropeElects: France Poll, Ifop (18-34 yrs):

Le Pen (FN-ENF): 40%
    Juppé (R-EPP): 20%
    Hollande (PS-S&D): 19%
    Mélenchon (FG-LEFT): 8%
    #SaintDenis #LePen
  • Options

So you must really hate John Bickley and Nigel Farage, then, given that they have produced one of the most blatantly dishonest election leaflets of modern times:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/fight-for-oldham-west-seat-gets-dirty-with-fake-election-leaflet/
    Amateurism, For promisies see ScotNats.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Le Pen (Front National) ahead - not just in younger age range https://t.co/6SrbEgbjey
  • Options
    @gsoh31: Labour Nov poll average 30.7%. If they follow 2010-15 glidepath from here, in 2020 they will win only about 140-150 seats in 600-seat HoC.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Scott_P said:

@JoeWatts_: The @BMGresearch poll shows for "centrist" voters, the % thinking Lab is becoming unelectable jumps to a huge 71% https://t.co/gSVqrM95e3

Stat of the Day!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Putting aside the ComRes Independent polls -which have appeared consistently well out of line with other pollsters in the same way that Angus Reid did prior to the 2010 election - the Tory lead seems to be much where it was in May - ie 6 or 7%. That is a clear lead, but it is far from being massive and is barely half the 12 to 15% lead the Tories were enjoying at the end of 1987 six months following Thatcher's third election victory - indeed the Tories remained pretty consistently ahead in that Parliament until early 1989. Going back further to the 1959 Parliament , in the Spring of 1960 Labour was further adrift of the Tories than at the previous election - and had lost the Brighouse & Spenborough by election to them - a very rare Government gain from the Opposition. So whilst things look far from bright for Labour at present , they have been worse,and the public mood can quickly change - particularly if the view gains ground that Osborne & Cameron conned their way to re-election.

Keep whistling. The nights will get darker yet....
  • Options

@gsoh31: Labour Nov poll average 30.7%. If they follow 2010-15 glidepath from here, in 2020 they will win only about 140-150 seats in 600-seat HoC.

Allowing for rounding, is that a case of twitter nominative determinism?
  • Options

What is dishonest about it?

• Options

But if they follow the glidepaths of 1987 - 92 or 1959 - 64 the figure will be rather different.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759
    glw said:

Whenever people moan about the Nimrod MRA4 being cancelled, they never acknowledge that those aircraft have had a history of serious problems that have caused trouble for multiple programmes. I don't know if the Boeing P-8 Poseidon is the right aircraft, but it is probably better and cheaper than anything we would have built by going it alone.

Keeping Sentinel running, buying Rivet Joint, buying the P-8, buying the extended range Reaper, keeping more Typhoons operational, are all good decisions. Whispers it quietly but maybe the MOD/Treasury are doing a decent job.

Ironically, the financial constraints have forced the government into buying existing kit off-the-shelf that works, instead of buying paper kit that will arrive late, over budget, and won't do what you want it to do.

Now if we could have kept the existing carriers in service then bought second-hand Nimitz-class carriers from the US (they're replacing them with new Ford-class ones) instead of scrapping the existing ones and betting the ranch on the two new QE-class ones (Late? Yup. Over budget? Yup. Doesn't do what you originally wanted it to? Yup. BAE? Yup.), we'd've had a bigger, cheaper, better navy

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

timmo said:

taffys said:

Constrained ?

Quite so,

The omnishambles budget showed nobody leaks more than GO.

However my expectations are set suitably low, once we've had the showmanship, we get to learn what he didn't tell us. That's when the fun starts.

Actually not, there has been many occasions when we have been given leaked information that was totally off the mark. And other times theyve completely kept quiet and allowed everyone else to reach grunts of orgasmic delight in protest at something they thought wasnt going to happen.

The funniest of recent times was the drop in child poverty. Everything was geared up to condemn the rise. The press releases wrote, the questions tabled in Parliament, the front pages written and the websites primed for what was an indictment of the evil Tory government.

Utter hilarity when the numbers came out and there had been a reduction. All of a sudden child poverty wasnt a 'thing' anymore, despite the build up from the media, columnists, tv editorials, twitterati, MPs, even leader of the opposition at PMQs.

At any point, under quite ferocious criticism, Cameron could have hinted that people might be surprised at what was going to be released the next day. He didnt. The entire industry of poverty mongers had egg on their face.

The best they could come up with was a criticism that the rate of the reduction in child poverty had slowed.
  • Options
    Heh. Good luck enforcing this whilst Simon Danzcuk is an MP

Labour to draw up 'social media code of conduct' to curb Jeremy Corbyn criticism

Labour MPs could be banned from posting tweets criticising Jeremy Corbyn

http://bit.ly/1I6dG5R
  • Options
    timmo said:

taffys said:

Constrained ?

Quite so,

They are jumping the gun but you will never get them to admit it. This review will cover spending for the next 3 to 5 years. So its going to be significant. Unprotected depts can expect 25% cuts over that time. I think we can expect announcements about corresponding dept reforms as well as about infrastructure investment from abroad. Welfare is still going to have to find 12bn.
    When of course the govt do announce something tricky like tax credits we get a huge outcry and in this case as well a politically motivated vote in the Lords. But hey ... It's all all Osborne's fault for not cutting quickly enough.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    viewcode said:

glw said:

Rivet Joint (Boeing), Sentinel (Raytheon), Sentry (Boeing), Reaper (General Atomics), Atlas (Airbus), Voyager (Airbus)...

Hmm.

Have they stopped buying BAE?

EDIT: blockquote tag incorrectly retained, now removed
    BAE are scraping by on the CVF project, and everything else.
  • Options

"Moral crusades", eh? So Corbyn is the Left's version of Mary Whitehouse!

I have to say that the problem with Corbyn for me is that his views and the actions he takes in support of them are very far from moral. Quite amoral, in some cases.

The moral decency which was behind Labour's best instincts is what has gone missing from Labour. They need to get that back. Some of those who say that Corbyn is personally decent seem to confuse moral decency with being quietly spoken and having an execrable taste in clothes.
  • Options

justin124 said:

I think perhaps you might be in need of your own advice here. Osborne's star is already clearly descending even before the signs of the economy going 'tits up' again become obvious to the public at large.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

What, like resigning one day, only to un-resign the next aka Doing a Farage?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Stat of the Day!
    I'm no supporter of Corbyn but you can't net off the DKs as the story does and still present the poll as being meaningful.

• Options
    justin124 said:

But if they follow the glidepaths of 1987 - 92 or 1959 - 64 the figure will be rather different.
    Do you really think Corbyn is as good as Kinnock or a Wilson? I mean really?
  • Options

Allowing for rounding, is that a case of twitter nominative determinism?
    I've always liked Professor O'Hara's twitter handle.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's the issue with having a multi-point scale for what's ultimately a binary attitude (sympathy or no sympathy). You can't have neither sympathy nor no sympathy.

Worth recalling the daftness of one pollster having multiple options but only one could be selected. They had lower taxes and higher spending (separately) then tax credit cuts, which obviously got a small share of the vote, to try and prove tax credit cuts had sod all support.

Question and answer phrasing is as important, sometimes more so, than how the respondents are selected and filtered.

The polls and pollsters and those that commission them are totally shafted. Total garbage from top to bottom, no matter how low they put Corbyn or how big a lead to the conservatives, they are all decrepit in my eyes.
  • Options

Except he doesn't live by his principles, does he? One of them is that he will talk to anyone, even those he strongly disagrees with, if it will advance the cause of peace. But when you look at those causes he has taken an interest in, there is no evidence that he has talked to those he disagrees with. Quite the contrary.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

There's a great book by Parker http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Crisis-Climate-Catastrophe-Seventeenth/dp/0300153236, that makes the case that a lot of the rebellions and the like in the seventeenth century were caused by climate change.

Not wholly sure I buy it (there are lots of other factors at play), but very interesting all the same
    The timing of the French revolution was a climate-related event as well, wasn't it?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think perhaps you might be in need of your own advice here. Osborne's star is already clearly descending even before the signs of the economy going 'tits up' again become obvious to the public at large.
    "Clearly"?

FWIW, I have never been backward on here at stating that Osborne will never be PM.

But neither will Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

justin124 said:

I really do not think that is the point at all. I am not inclined to assume that Corbyn will be there in 2020 anyway. Moreover if we end up back in recession at some point I suspect the electorate will be pretty unforgiving of a Government that has been in office for 10 years which had confidently told people in 2015 that economic recovery was secure and that things would continue to improve. Many will feel that they had been duped by Cameron et al.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Must be the umpteenth time we've discussed this. He tendered his resignation and it was declined, it could have been handled better but the constant reference to it on here is pathetic, quite frankly.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

The timing of the French revolution was a climate-related event as well, wasn't it?
    Ian Morris in Why the West rules for Now makes similar observations on climate change.

Which of course brings in to focus just how common an event climate variation has been human experience.
  • Options
    Looks like we can treat the DUP as being supporters of the Conservatives in any vote of confidence in the near future:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/12011126/Anyone-who-is-still-opposed-to-British-military-action-in-Syria-cannot-be-taken-seriously.html

"Of the shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell, and the current Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, there is little to say, save how grotesquely unfitted they are for the challenges of the hour. Their equivocation – at very best – on IRA terrorism stands utterly exposed. They have had chance after chance to show that they’re opposed to fascistic men of violence, but time after time they duck under the lowest of hurdles.

It will do no one in British public life any credit, from either side of the House of Commons, if they try to do anything which artificially prolongs such people in office in one of our great political parties. Every day Jeremy Corbyn leads Labour, he does a day’s more harm to this country at home and abroad. Labour MPs in their own and the national interest need to unseat him. No one who puts this country first can seriously be expected to work in opposition with Corbyn and McDonnell."
  • Options

watford30 said:

Must be the umpteenth time we've discussed this. He tendered his resignation and it was declined, it could have been handled better but the constant reference to it on here is pathetic, quite frankly.

When you criticise other parties for being led by liars, you're going to get that thrown back in your face.

Matthew 7:5 old bean
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I really do not think that is the point at all. I am not inclined to assume that Corbyn will be there in 2020 anyway. Moreover if we end up back in recession at some point I suspect the electorate will be pretty unforgiving of a Government that has been in office for 10 years which had confidently told people in 2015 that economic recovery was secure and that things would continue to improve. Many will feel that they had been duped by Cameron et al.
    bit late to feel duped by Cameron he will have cleared off by then, it will be more a problem for his party.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    justin124 said:

You're putting aside the poll you don't like - says it all.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

"Clearly"?

FWIW, I have never been backward on here at stating that Osborne will never be PM.

But neither will Corbyn.
    I don't disagree with either prediction.

'Clearly'.? Yes compared with last Spring we have clear signs of economic slowdown - the worst October Borrowing figures since 2009 and a Balance of Payments problem that the markets are beginning to pay more attention to. The clouds are gathering ..
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

But he maybe does clearly believe in these things, but that doesnt mean he should be Prime Minister. You need people who can asses the circumstances in light of a set of values, but no frontline politician principles survive a period of time with executive power. It just doesnt. The theory and the reality are often very different. You have to be flexible and you have to be practical. You cannot achieve things otherwise. The world is not a black and white absolute.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

watford30 said:

It's never been clear as to whether Farage resigned at all, or whether it was merely weasel words from an opportunist politician.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/05/exclusive-nigel-farage-never-resigned-from-ukip-in-stitch-up/

• Options

watford30 said:

When you criticise other parties for being led by liars, you're going to get that thrown back in your face.

Not for the first time you're blinded by tribalism. As I've pointed out Farage didn't lie, I'm sure if he could wind the clock back he'd do things differently.

I'd love to see things as simplistically as you i.e. Dave/George have said it, that's good enough for me. Such unquestioning devotion used to be reserved for teenage girls and the Bay City Rollers.

• Options

watford30 said:

" and behold all promises will be cast-iron, and deficit and debt shall shrink as a spent Eagles manhood, the sunny uplands will glow on the march of the makers and all will be in this together "

Book of Dave 20:10
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

You're putting aside the poll you don't like - says it all.
    Not at all - I am looking at the overall picture. You appear to want to believe the poll that is most out of line! I wonder why that would be.
  • Options
    notme said:

But he maybe does clearly believe in these things, but that doesnt mean he should be Prime Minister. You need people who can asses the circumstances in light of a set of values, but no frontline politician principles survive a period of time with executive power. It just doesnt. The theory and the reality are often very different. You have to be flexible and you have to be practical. You cannot achieve things otherwise. The world is not a black and white absolute.
    He'll never be PM, he has no intention of it, he's a fool but a pleasant antidote to the lickspittles in parliament who simply do as they're told.
  • Options

watford30 said:

" and behold all promises will be cast-iron, and deficit and debt shall shrink as a spent Eagles manhood, the sunny uplands will glow on the march of the makers and all will be in this together "

My proudest achievement as guest editor was quoting from the Book of Revelation about Corbyn.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Four to stand trial accused of plastering 500 lampposts with stickers urging Muslims not to vote in the May election https://t.co/4GZepGC2mw
  • Options

watford30 said:

Not for the first time you're blinded by tribalism. As I've pointed out Farage didn't lie, I'm sure if he could wind the clock back he'd do things differently.

I'd love to see things as simplistically as you i.e. Dave/George have said it, that's good enough for me. Such unquestioning devotion used to be reserved for teenage girls and the Bay City Rollers.

I know you Kippers never listen, but I've said I won't be voting for Osborne as Tory leader* and have quite happily criticised Dave on many occasions.

*Unless his opponent is some voter repellent loonbag Eurosceptic like Owen Paterson or Liam Fox.
  • Options

watford30 said:

My proudest achievement as guest editor was quoting from the Book of Revelation about Corbyn.
    Nah, "pounded like a dockside hooker" is so much a part of the PB lexicon..
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

watford30 said:

I know you Kippers never listen, but I've said I won't be voting for Osborne as Tory leader* and have quite happily criticised Dave on many occasions.

*Unless his opponent is some voter repellent loonbag Eurosceptic like Owen Paterson or Liam Fox.
    Oh I listen alright, to people saying things like:

• Options

Four to stand trial accused of plastering 500 lampposts with stickers urging Muslims not to vote in the May election https://t.co/4GZepGC2mw

what's the charge? criminal damage, or something?
This discussion has been closed.