Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-LAB MP Nick Palmer says “Don’t underestimate the interes

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Desparing Dan http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12013908/Under-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-is-now-a-mindless-cult.html

Over the next few weeks Labour’s internal debate will narrow down to the following: should Labour listen to the voters, or should it listen to the members? It will rage for a while, and then someone will pop up and say “the truth is we have to do both”. At which point people will nod sagely, and say “that’s right. The voters. The members. It’s a false choice."

It’s not a false choice. It is not actually a choice at all. If the Labour party continues to listen to those people who after the events of the last week believe Jeremy Corbyn is “doing a good job” then it’s over... Labour MPs have the following priorities > The voters come first. And Labour MPs work for the voters. They don’t work for you [members].
    I'm still grappling with 'why' members think Corbyn is doing a good job. My latest hypothesis is that it's all a form of narcissism - political selfies if you like. It appears that a good chunk of Labour members prefer to feel good about themselves vs. kicking the Tories out of government.

We live in a world where it's very easy to withdraw into an echo chamber and only communicate with people who agree with us (and block those who don't). I can't see that as healthy (and I take my own medicine here - I read the Guardian, the Mirror and so forth).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

The latest PC madness — yoga is racist and a form of "cultural appropriation"

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/this-obsession-with-cultural-appropriation-is-leading-us-down-a-very-dark-path/

FFS. That article linked to this insanity. It is not a parody: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/

When it comes to food, what’s appropriation and what’s not can be tricky to think about.

Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption.

With food, it isn’t just eating food from someone else’s culture. It might not be appropriation if you’re White and you love eating dumplings and hand pulled noodles. Enjoying food from another culture is perfectly fine.

But, food is appropriated when people from the dominant culture – in the case of the US, white folks – start to fetishize or commercialize it, and when they hoard access to that particular food.

So, next time you have a Lamb Biryani you should remember that you are racist scum continuing the vile oppression of Indians, Pakistanis, or Bangladeshis. I think.
    I am glad you think - because the author of that 'article' clearly doesn't know how to engage their brain to form coherent thoughts.

It amazes me how entitled some people think they are.

(This comment does not come with a trigger warning - if you are feeling oppressed by it, please take to Tumblr and complain loudly to your 2 followers there)
    The world would be a boring place if none of us adopted practices from other cultures. Presumably, the SJWs who complain about cultural appropriation would then accuse us of xenophobia.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

osias "Erdogan" Jessop :lol:

Sunil "Wrong" Prasannan ;)

BTW, I dislike Erdogan. I shouldn't really need to say that, but the more frenetic on here need to be reminded occasionally ...
    Note: the subject Josias "Erdogan" Jessop responds to the stimulus as predicted!
    I prefer the sort of stimulus Mrs J gives me. ;)

BTW, we still need to have a "hair-off" to see who's the hairiest. ;)

Now that's something for PBers to look forward to ...
    Would you two stick together if placed back-to-back?
    RACISM against hairy blokes!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2015
    NPEXMP

Was Corbyn ever on the ballot sheet for previous Labour leader?, I cannot recall previous Labour elections..... and if so did you vote for him.?

I think your views would be very different if you were still an MP with a small majority ...
  • Options
    What the actual fuck is a "trigger warning"?
  • Options

BTW, I dislike Erdogan. I shouldn't really need to say that, but the more frenetic on here need to be reminded occasionally ...
    Note: the subject Josias "Erdogan" Jessop responds to the stimulus as predicted!

Mirror, mirror, on the wall
    Who is the hairiest one of all? :lol:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/this-obsession-with-cultural-appropriation-is-leading-us-down-a-very-dark-path/

FFS. That article linked to this insanity. It is not a parody: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/

When it comes to food, what’s appropriation and what’s not can be tricky to think about.

Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption.

With food, it isn’t just eating food from someone else’s culture. It might not be appropriation if you’re White and you love eating dumplings and hand pulled noodles. Enjoying food from another culture is perfectly fine.

But, food is appropriated when people from the dominant culture – in the case of the US, white folks – start to fetishize or commercialize it, and when they hoard access to that particular food.

So, next time you have a Lamb Biryani you should remember that you are racist scum continuing the vile oppression of Indians, Pakistanis, or Bangladeshis. I think.
    I am glad you think - because the author of that 'article' clearly doesn't know how to engage their brain to form coherent thoughts.

(This comment does not come with a trigger warning - if you are feeling oppressed by it, please take to Tumblr and complain loudly to your 2 followers there)
    The world would be a boring place if none of us adopted practices from other cultures. Presumably, the SJWs who complain about cultural appropriation would then accuse us of xenophobia.
    I think we've collectively overshot Maslow's hierarchy. We're so privileged that some feel the need to actively seek out things to worry about. I given up one of my TG forums because of the sturm und drang around fecking pronouns; as if we don't have bigger fish to fry :/.
  • Options

If you've been abused as a child, or raped, then an article about child abuse or rape might cause flashbacks and emotional trauma. Therefore, people have started pressing for 'Trigger warning' to be posted prominently above said article.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Off-topic:

I wish agencies of national governments would learn cartographic basics and put scales on maps they produce ...

I mean, even the BBC can manage it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    BREAKING: Russia Advises Citizens Not To Visit Turkey (AFP)

Presumably some will still travel.

But that is at least 90% of the 3.5 million Russian tourists Turkey gets each year gone in a stroke.
  • Options

Anorak said:

That experiment could be rather dangerous. :)

Besides, how could I go walking when Sunil is working in his lab? Sunil, is your workplace mobile? How do you fancy working at the top of a mountain or two?

Or the really tricky question: do you fancy changing the little 'un's nappy ...
    Would be interesting to conduct laboratory experiments at the top of a mountain - but the real question you should have asked is "how could I go walking when Sunil is cavorting around on his railway sojourns?" :lol:
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

I think we've collectively overshot Maslow's hierarchy. We're so privileged that some feel the need to actively seek out things to worry about. I given up one of my TG forums because of the sturm und drang around fecking pronouns; as if we don't have bigger fish to fry :/.
    Interestingly (for me at least), Lamb of God had a bit of an internal battle over the title of their last album: VII Sturm Und Drang. Randy wanted it without the VII prefix (Was a reflection of his time in a Czech Republic prison facing manslaughter charges)
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    They aren't going to Egypt either - somewhere is going to get a tourism boom.
    Pulpstar said:

But that is at least 90% of the 3.5 million Russian tourists Turkey gets each year gone in a stroke.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Pulpstar said:

Sochi.

Which isn't getting the numbers the huge investment had expected.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

Bulgarian Black sea coast is my first thought.
  • Options
    This looks very bad:

Russian pilots ‘shot dead’ as they parachuted from plane - rebels

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id2721
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2015
    John_M said:

If you've been abused as a child, or raped, then an article about child abuse or rape might cause flashbacks and emotional trauma. Therefore, people have started pressing for 'Trigger warning' to be posted prominently above said article.
    But, as ever, the need of some to prove oneself more sensitive to the differences of others (I am not using the phrase virtue signalling come hell or high water), has meant warnings being put on articles on muggings, assaults, divorce, loss of a family member, war, terrorist attacks, loss of virginity, paper cuts, and cakes not rising. Basically anything not about kittens or unicorns.
  • Options
    John_M said:

o_O

I've had a brief google of the phrase, and it seems to be a crock of horse-shit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Both sides need to de-escalate this, and fast.

Turkey should apologise for the shoot down and the consequent death of the pilots.
    Russia should promise never to encroach over Turkish borders without permission.

Both sides should be able to come up with a form of words that would satisfy the other without admitting much more. Unfortunately it is quite possible that neither side is in the mood to back down: both Putin and Erdogan are playing to domestic audiences now.

As I've warned several times in the past few years, the conflict is spreading, and could spread further.
  • Options

The Turkish flight path map shows an incursion over a sticky out part of Turkey that with the Russian plane flying at speed, it would have taken approximately 15 seconds to cross.

Whether they did or not is beside the point, airspace violations happen all the time, they do not result in planes being shotdown.

This was a premeditated ambush by Turkey. No doubt, Turkey was unhappy about Russian action against Turkmen rebel groups in the 'Jabal Turkman' mountain range, just South of the Turkish border in Syria's Latakia province.

The Russian coalition, R+6, has been carrying out offensive action in the region for several days now and are slowly closing the border areas and rebels supply routes in the region. Additionally, France has been trying lately to bridge gaps with Russia over action against ISIS and any rapprochement would weaken those in Turkey (and in the US) who are opposed to a large international coalition both the Western and GCC coalition and R+6.

If someone wanted to 'sabotage' an attempt at bringing everybody together over Syria, they wouldn't do it otherwise. Now NATO faces a dilemma and compromise with Russia over the fight against ISIS seems less likely. Hollande is meeting Obama today and was supposed to meet Putin the day after tomorrow in an effort to mend fences. I wonder what is going to happen now.

I'm not sure those "experts" who predict Russia will do anything in retaliation have a clue about how serious this is. I've also checked flight tracking of the alleged breach of Turkish airspace. If anything it was very short and could be linked to mistake. This was not a aggression against Turkey, whose reaction is very very very out of proportion ...

Finally, the two pilots seem to have been gunned down as they were parachuting inside Syria (which strengthens the point about the border breach). Some people are playing with fire here ...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited November 2015
    Syrian rebels release footage of them destroying a Russian helicopter on the ground with a US anti-tank weapon...
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-24/caught-tape-syrian-rebels-destroy-russian-helicopter-us-supplied-anti-tank-missile
    Chopper may have been brought down with small arms fire.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Krypes !!!!!
    Sky just showed Russian rescue chopper getting zapped on the ground with an American supplied missile.
    That not good
  • Options

Anorak said:

That experiment could be rather dangerous. :)

Besides, how could I go walking when Sunil is working in his lab? Sunil, is your workplace mobile? How do you fancy working at the top of a mountain or two?

Or the really tricky question: do you fancy changing the little 'un's nappy ...
    Would be interesting to conduct laboratory experiments at the top of a mountain - but the real question you should have asked is "how could I go walking when Sunil is cavorting around on his railway sojourns?" :lol:
    I'd quite enjoy railway sojourns. I keep on meaning to go to the Midland Railway Centre, which I haven't been to for a couple of decades, and Barrow Hill, which I've never been to. I haven't even had a ride behind the steam loco I own a little share of.

Even if it is the wrong colour. :)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

John_M said:

But, as ever, the need of some to prove oneself more sensitive to the differences of others (I am not using the phrase virtue signalling come hell or high water), has meant warnings being put on articles on muggings, assaults, divorce, loss of a family member, war, terrorist attacks, loss of virginity, paper cuts, and cakes not rising. Basically anything not about kittens or unicorns.
    How have people coped with reading fairy tales over the centuries (the real fairy tales, not the Disneyfied versions?)
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Syrian rebels release footage of them destroying a Russian helicopter on the ground with a US anti-tank weapon...

Did the Russians not think ahead and consider what would actually happen to the crew if one of their aircraft was downed over hostile territory in Syria? Have they forgotten what happened to pilots in Afghanistan, particularly those flying Hinds? These savages don't follow the Geneva Convention.

The UK should steer well clear of any further involvement.
  • Options
    When the CIA were helping the Mujahideen, they shipped in millions of Soviet rounds, rifles etc left behind from previous conflicts - all to ensure there wasn't an obvious linky.

I suspect the same has happened many times with both sides playing this game.
    RodCrosby said:

Syrian rebels release footage of them destroying a Russian helicopter on the ground with a US anti-tank weapon....

• Options
    LondonBob said:

The Turkish flight path map shows an incursion over a sticky out part of Turkey that with the Russian plane flying at speed, it would have taken approximately 15 seconds to cross.

Whether they did or not is beside the point, airspace violations happen all the time, they do not result in planes being shotdown.

This was a premeditated ambush by Turkey.

(snip)
    You mean they flew the Russian aircraft over their border? They somehow mind-controlled the pilots to veer off-course?

You miss the point about the airspace violation. It was coming out of an active warzone, and is of the same type that Syrian forces use.

Turkey has shot down Syrian airplanes in the past.

This was bound to happen. You could just as easily say that it was premeditated by Russia.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    RodCrosby said:

If I lived or worked in any kind of a base in that area I would be taking unofficial leave right now. The Turkish airforce cannot protect them from cruise missiles.

• Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

These are all very rich peoples' problems. And very much confined to universities.

Most people grow out of such nonsense, but there is a danger that some of the people who blather on about safe spaces, rights to be comfortable, cultural appropriation, microaggressions etc. won't grow out of it, and will achieve positions of influence.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    LondonBob said:

... snip...
    Finally, the two pilots seem to have been gunned down as they were parachuting inside Syria (which strengthens the point about the border breach). Some people are playing with fire here ...
    Of course, it's possible the Russians wished to deliberately engineer an incident too. Hence their continual overflying, and ignorance of warning transmissions from the Turks.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Anorak said:

John_M said:

Unicorns! Why, oh why, did you have to mention unicorns?

*shudders*

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    It's ironic that Turkey may prove to be the country that leads to a break-up or fundamental reform of NATO when everyone was expecting Russia to use the Baltic states as their lever.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

How have people coped with reading fairy tales over the centuries (the real fairy tales, not the Disneyfied versions?)
    I've been reading some Roald Dahl stories to my 4y/o recently... some fairly nasty stuff in there too.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Nick Palmer, excellent piece. I've met several MPs and can confirm that most will do anything to get re-elected, it really is a great job.
  • Options
    On a more serious note events in Turkey/Syria have taken a very sinister turn today, heaven knows where this is all leading.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Now NATO faces a dilemma and compromise with Russia over the fight against ISIS seems less likely. Hollande is meeting Obama today and was supposed to meet Putin the day after tomorrow in an effort to mend fences. I wonder what is going to happen now.''

Indeed. the Turks must be desperate to avoid a coalition of big boys helping its sworn enemies, ie Assad and the Kurds.

And so divide and confuse.

Its Erdogan's own fault. What on earth did he think he was doing playing ball with ISIS?
  • Options
    I watched Storyville - Cartel Land yesterday and there doesn't seem to be much between the Mexican cartel factions and ISIS when it comes to revolting behaviour. An excellent docu well worth watching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q7csp

Trigger Warning - been beheaded? This is not for you.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    edited November 2015
    Blair's third way involving stripping the Labour party of ideology and re-positioning it as a pragmatic party of Govt was always going to hit stormy waters once Labour lost power. But who could have predicted its disastrous choice of leaders and just what kind of pickle it has got itself into?

I really struggle with Nick's personal approach to Corbyn. Although I am a member of the Labour Party and will continue to maintain my membership, I couldn't vote for Labour with Corbyn as leader. I just couldn't. I would much rather Dr Death himself, Osborne as PM, or even the frightening May, or narcissistic Boris. Not even close for me.

Note to Nick- I am a statist, left liberal- so if Corbyn has that effect on me, what kind of effect is he going to have on moderate swing voters when the spotlight is on him?

It depresses me beyond anything that 71% of Labour members care more about policies than power. The political equivalent of ISIS- suicidal, nihilistic politics.

I hope Labour lose Oldham, and every other election it participates in until Corbyn leaves or is ousted.

It just doesn't feel right to have such disparity in British politics- it needs checks and balances. I ask the Tories here- OK you had a few days of fun when Corbyn was elected- but do you really want a politics where the opposition is so enfeebled? Even in the darkest days of IDS, the Tory party still had stature and gravitas; that is much more than you can say for the Labour Party now.
  • Options
    Didn't the Russian military expect some form of resistance from a variety of quarters with different objectives from them? I thought it was the US who specialised in an unrealistic expectation of universal acclaim.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anyone worried about our cultural appropriation of maths from the Babylonians should sign this petition

https://www.change.org/p/joyce-caldwell-ban-algebra-courses-at-university-of-ottawa/share?after_sign_exp=default&just_signed=true&share=true

I never liked algebra anyway. Daft foreign gibberish.

We should start up a petition against playing chess (appropriated from the Persians) reading horoscopes (appropriated from the Chaldeans) and eating pasta (appropriated from the Italians)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Anyone worried about our cultural appropriation of maths from the Babylonians should sign this petition

https://www.change.org/p/joyce-caldwell-ban-algebra-courses-at-university-of-ottawa/share?after_sign_exp=default&just_signed=true&share=true

We should start up a petition against playing chess (appropriated from the Persians) reading horoscopes (appropriated from the Chaldeans) and eating pasta (appropriated from the Italians)
    I'm struggling with second order effects: If I as an Englishman eat Japanese noodles, which were appropriated from Italian pasta, am I doubly guilty?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

On a more serious note events in Turkey/Syria have taken a very sinister turn today, heaven knows where this is all leading.

Perhaps Nigel could ask his friend and hero, Vladimir.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tyson said:

but do you really want a politics where the opposition is so enfeebled?

No

Every day Corbyn stays in post is a disgrace.

I have been urging the PLP to act, but I don't expect them to. Again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

AndyJS said:

O/T:

In that case, I profusely and profoundly apologise for appropriating the "white" past-time of trainspotting :lol:
    GRICIST!!!
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Perhaps Nigel could ask his friend Vladimir.
    I know whose side I want to be on now - what about you?

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2015
    FPT:
    HopiSen said:

This is a deceptively attractive argument, but it's self-justification. The other candidates at the leadership election all put forward such policies - whether it was Liz on early years and decentralisation, or Yvette on Infrastructure/investment/childcare or Andy on supporting small business and improving opportunities for those who didn't go to university.

"Decentralisation" is the most laughable suggestion for a big political philosophy that I've ever heard, and I have no idea what "early years" means.

Also, even as someone who half-heartedly gave Andy and Yvette my top preferences, I don't remember either saying much about childcare or improving opportunities for people who don't go to university - it's not enough just to say they think something is a problem, they need to come forward with concrete plans of how they would solve those problems - concrete plans which will INEVITABLY cost money and will INEVITABLY have to mean rich people and big businesses making a bigger contribution, and which would be impossible under the austerity plans that all 3 mainstream candidates were proposing (to varying degrees) in the leadership contest.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Indeed - story from this afternoon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34908420
  • Options
    @DouglasCarswell: Local Labour councillor in #Oldham demand Corbyn stops saying things https://t.co/3PD5yrnVbZ
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Indeed. Trouble is, Turkey's Nato membership. Very tricky.
  • Options
    No one bought me a My Little Pony. I'm not sure I'll ever overcome the stress. I may write an article for the Guardian.

My unicorn didn't fart rainbows either - is there no end to this child abuse?

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

I watched Storyville - Cartel Land yesterday and there doesn't seem to be much between the Mexican cartel factions and ISIS when it comes to revolting behaviour. An excellent docu well worth watching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q7csp

Trigger Warning - been beheaded? This is not for you.

The cartels use chainsaws to behead each other, and often remove their 'tackle' first.

• Options

AndyJS said:

O/T:

In that case, I profusely and profoundly apologise for appropriating the "white" past-time of trainspotting :lol:
    GRICIST!!!
    Micro-gricist actually!
  • Options

watford30 said:

I'm happy not to choose. Some of us haven't forgotten about the poor souls who died over the Ukraine.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Official Rubik's cube record broken. 4.9 seconds to solve.
    Not Ed Millibands week really.....
    :lol:
  • Options
    At least we get clear and decisive leadership from the SNP today.

Nicola has said she will

- not take any action on Natalie McGarry until later

- has not made a decision on Syria
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Didn't the Russian military expect some form of resistance from a variety of quarters with different objectives from them? I thought it was the US who specialised in an unrealistic expectation of universal acclaim.

In what way do you feel they should have responded differently to this?
  • Options

No one bought me a My Little Pony. I'm not sure I'll ever overcome the stress. I may write an article for the Guardian.

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

Strange as it may seem, My Little Pony has inspired thousands of pornographic fanfics online.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I ask the Tories here- OK you had a few days of fun when Corbyn was elected- but do you really want a politics where the opposition is so enfeebled?

No. We want you to put up a decent fight before losing.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

I'm happy not to choose. Some of us haven't forgotten about the poor souls who died over the Ukraine.
    Well I don't have to choose either, but history has a dim view of appeasers.

You probably regret making a puerile remark about a man that Farage has never met now.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

I've been reading some Roald Dahl stories to my 4y/o recently... some fairly nasty stuff in there too.
    Wasn't Dahl's mother-tongue Norwegian??

(according to University Challenge last night)
  • Options
    OK no response from mods so here goes.

Friday 4th Dec 6.30 Canterbury University an EU event with speakers Dan Hannan, Frederick Forsyth and Brendan Chilcott of Labour Leave. PM me for more details.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

You probably regret making a puerile remark about a man that Farage has never met now.

Strange use of the word 'appeaser' in these circumstances.

Nope. Putin is the world leader that Farage most admires. Sounds like hero worship.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I have to say, I take a harder line than Nick regarding some of these whining Labour MPs.

I do not pay my subscription money every year simply so that these people have cushy jobs with no strings attached - I pay so that my politics are represented, and I'm not going to be shy about demanding certain things (such as OPPOSING THE GOVERNMENT in the Commons when right-wing things are proposed) in return for the privilege we are granting to them.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has World War Three been averted? Is Brussels still closed?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

Strange as it may seem, My Little Pony has inspired thousands of pornographic fanfics online.
    Some people do know some odd facts!
  • Options

Not having an inside hotline to what actually went on, it's hard for me to say how the Kremlin should respond. They haven't had a great track record of respecting international airspace so they may not have been saints on this occasion either. Equally, the Turks have their own agenda in the area which they are no doubt going to pursue. For now I'm prepared to wait and see how this unfolds before making any snap judgements.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that going on military adventures in pursuit of la gloire has risks. Finding that you get shot back at is the most obvious one.
  • Options
    Scott-you are right to call this set of affairs a disgrace- it's just wrong on all angles to have Corbyn as leader of the opposition. It reminds me of the French election when Le Pen squeaked onto the second round and was subsequently trounced by Chirac. The French people deserved a well contested 2nd round presidential election where differing arguments could be debated. From memory LePen polled less in the second round polled less as many who voted for him as a protest realised the error of their ways.

Well the British people deserve to have an opposition. It's what our politics needs. It doesn't feel right without it.
    Scott_P said:

tyson said:

but do you really want a politics where the opposition is so enfeebled?

No

Every day Corbyn stays in post is a disgrace.

I have been urging the PLP to act, but I don't expect them to. Again.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439

Friday 4th Dec 6.30 Canterbury University an EU event with speakers Dan Hannan, Frederick Forsyth and Brendan Chilcott of Labour Leave. PM me for more details.

Sounds like a balanced panel! ;-)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    tyson said:

Blair's third way involving stripping the Labour party of ideology and re-positioning it as a pragmatic party of Govt was always going to hit stormy waters once Labour lost power. But who could have predicted its disastrous choice of leaders and just what kind of pickle it has got itself into?

I really struggle with Nick's personal approach to Corbyn. Although I am a member of the Labour Party and will continue to maintain my membership, I couldn't vote for Labour with Corbyn as leader. I just couldn't. I would much rather Dr Death himself, Osborne as PM, or even the frightening May, or narcissistic Boris. Not even close for me.

Note to Nick- I am a statist, left liberal- so if Corbyn has that effect on me, what kind of effect is he going to have on moderate swing voters when the spotlight is on him?

It depresses me beyond anything that 71% of Labour members care more about policies than power. The political equivalent of ISIS- suicidal, nihilistic politics.

I hope Labour lose Oldham, and every other election it participates in until Corbyn leaves or is ousted.

It just doesn't feel right to have such disparity in British politics- it needs checks and balances. I ask the Tories here- OK you had a few days of fun when Corbyn was elected- but do you really want a politics where the opposition is so enfeebled? Even in the darkest days of IDS, the Tory party still had stature and gravitas; that is much more than you can say for the Labour Party now.

I agree. I'm also a Labour Party member.

It was entirely predictable - and predicted - that Corbyn would be a disaster. Nobody involved in the Party for more than 5 minutes could have failed to notice that he was unelectable, would be unable to command loyalty, and was surrounded by ideologically-driven men (and they are nearly all men) who cared more about imposing their views on the party than winning elections.
  • Options

I can't make that, but it's an interesting line-up. Might be a good one.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Nope.

Putin is the world leader that Farage most admires. Sound like hero worship.
    Well you referred to him as "his friend and hero", I've met all of my friends.

This is what happens when silly party politics overtakes reasoned discussion, people look even sillier. You are attempting to trivialise an event where people have died and as a consequence more will, you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I saw a very peculiar docu about adult male fans of MLP who went to conventions aimed at them and the thousands they spent on giant MLPs - called things like Perfect Princess Sparkle Diamond.

Whomever came up with the idea is a very rich person indeed.
    Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015
    Moses_ said:

This is a really dull question. How do they ensure that the starting point for each record attempt is fair and comparable. I presume it is some random starting point, because otherwise there wouldn't be any solving involved, but how to they ensure that one random starting point is no harder than another?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    It looks like the 2 pilots of the Russian plane were shot and killed by Turkmen as they approached the ground in their parachutes, according to Al Jazeera.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Wasn’t Geometry originaly Greek? Pythagoras and all that.
  • Options

I saw a very peculiar docu about adult male fans of MLP who went to conventions aimed at them and the thousands they spent on giant MLPs - called things like Perfect Princess Sparkle Diamond.

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

Bronies.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Not having an inside hotline to what actually went on, it's hard for me to say how the Kremlin should respond. They haven't had a great track record of respecting international airspace so they may not have been saints on this occasion either. Equally, the Turks have their own agenda in the area which they are no doubt going to pursue. For now I'm prepared to wait and see how this unfolds before making any snap judgements.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that going on military adventures in pursuit of la gloire has risks. Finding that you get shot back at is the most obvious one.
    Yes, but you've not provided anything to support to your notion that they didn't expect resistance or opposition. We can only go by their response which so far has been measured in the extreme.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Danny565 said:

I have to say, I take a harder line than Nick regarding some of these whining Labour MPs.

I do not pay my subscription money every year simply so that these people have cushy jobs with no strings attached - I pay so that my politics are represented, and I'm not going to be shy about demanding certain things (such as OPPOSING THE GOVERNMENT in the Commons when right-wing things are proposed) in return for the privilege we are granting to them.

I dare say the voters in the constituencies of these MPs have equally strong views about what their MP should or should not be doing. But, hey, they don't pay a subscription so who cares about them, eh? After all, it was only their votes which got the MP elected.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

There's some weird stuff online. Whole cottage industries dedicated to pornographic "reinterpretations" of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Frozen, and Barney the Dinosaur.
  • Options

John_M said:

o_O

I've had a brief google of the phrase, and it seems to be a crock of horse-shit.
    I'm not a fan. It seems to be another way to be passive-aggressive - basically, unless you provide me with a full and comprehensive list of all your possible triggers, 'tis but a matter of time before I offend you.
  • Options
    King Cole, and chess Chinese?

Miss Plato, Rule 34 predicts this.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bulgarian Black sea coast is my first thought.
    The sunny climes of Torquay in December? :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

I dare say the voters in the constituencies of these MPs have equally strong views about what their MP should or should not be doing. But, hey, they don't pay a subscription so who cares about them, eh? After all, it was only their votes which got the MP elected.

If the MP feels their election owes more to them personally than to the Labour Party banner (and the money that such a banner gives them(, then they are free to quit and stand in a by-election as an independent anytime - then they would be completely free of any demands from people like me.
  • Options
    My favourite trigger warning is the call for trigger warning to be mentioned because the word 'trigger' might cause trauma to gunshot victims. Or those scared of guns.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

Taking that further, if 'paying' means you believe you are entitled to a greater say than those who don't - should welfare claimants be banned from having the vote?

How about all those Corbyn-enthusiastic under 25 year old, frequently jobless and non-contributing, students?
  • Options
    Are you and @Sean_F part of the same MLP forum? :worried:

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

Bronies.
  • Options
    @matt_dathan: Jeremy Corbyn must start showing leadership and stop making "inappropriate" comments, says Len McCluskey https://t.co/71iQa4kyjP
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

If the MP feels their election owes more to them personally than to the Labour Party banner (and the money that such a banner gives them(, then they are free to quit and stand in a by-election as an independent anytime - then they would be completely free of any demands from people like me.
    How many independents ever won a second time , let alone the first time ?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

You seem to want donor privilege. Presumably we'll never hear a peep out of you on the subject of Tory donations.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I've said repeatedly that Corbyn is a tragedy for British politics. I'm right of centre, yet understand that this government can, has and will make mistakes. If we don't have a credible opposition we're more likely to have even more poor governance and bad legislation. I also would like a choice as to where to lend my vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

How many independents ever won a second time , let alone the first time ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Taylor_(British_politician)
  • Options
    Barney The Dinosaur? Okaaay
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

*shudders*

There's some weird stuff online. Whole cottage industries dedicated to pornographic "reinterpretations" of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Frozen, and Barney the Dinosaur.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

o_O

I'm not a fan. It seems to be another way to be passive-aggressive - basically, unless you provide me with a full and comprehensive list of all your possible triggers, 'tis but a matter of time before I offend you.
    The areshole in me would want to make a point of being as offensive as possible if people start to whittle on about safe-spaces and triggers...
  • Options
    John_M said:

tyson said:

I've said repeatedly that Corbyn is a tragedy for British politics. I'm right of centre, yet understand that this government can, has and will make mistakes. If we don't have a credible opposition we're more likely to have even more poor governance and bad legislation. I also would like a choice as to where to lend my vote.
    I love the crocodile tears from PBTories about the lack of real opposition, but who then start getting outraged when the Tories do in fact face opposition from the House of Lords (opposition on things which the Tories didn't get a mandate for in the election, to boot).
  • Options

Yes, but you've not provided anything to support to your notion that they didn't expect resistance or opposition. We can only go by their response which so far has been measured in the extreme.
    What options do they really have against the Turks in practice? The Turks too are capable of making life very awkward for the Russians if they so choose.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

This is a really dull question. How do they ensure that the starting point for each record attempt is fair and comparable. I presume it is some random starting point, because otherwise there wouldn't be any solving involved, but how to they ensure that one random starting point is no harder than another?

There was an interview about this on the radio today.

The completer is given a period of time to observe the cube, then places it on a surface. They then places both hands on electronic starting mats. On the command, they complete and then the timer stops when both hands are back down.

I don't know about the precise configuration of the colours, but that seems like they've given it some thought.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

I love the crocodile tears from PBTories about the lack of real opposition, but who then start getting outraged when the Tories do in fact face opposition from the House of Lords (opposition on things which the Tories didn't get a mandate for in the election, to boot).
    But it is a problem when the Leader of the Opposition is a total jerk.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Danny565 said:

There is a difference between Opposition and Opportunism.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2015
    Scott_P said:

@matt_dathan: Jeremy Corbyn must start showing leadership and stop making "inappropriate" comments, says Len McCluskey https://t.co/71iQa4kyjP

When one of Jeremy Corbyn's most vocal supporters during the Labour leadership election openly starts criticising his leadership 'skills', the writing really is on the wall.
  • Options
    It strikes me that someone in Turkey has made a monumental balls up- I can't for the life of me understand the strategic point in taking out a Russian fighter plane inching over Turkish airspace.

Equally, the airliner over Ukraine was a monumental balls up- the separatists clearly though the aircraft was Ukranian military.

This discussion has been closed.