Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

"Where I live mac 'n' cheese is a vegetable ..."

Eating in the USA can be an absolute joy - lobsters, chowders, fish dishes to die for and mouthwatering steaks the like of which cannot be obtained any where else in the world, you can even get really, really good burgers - but sometimes one has to wonder about the basis of their civilisation.

Mr Llama, really. The basis of their civilization is a deep religiosity (essentially judeo-christian) and the protestant/jewish work ethic. Not much to wonder or ponder there.
    Well you know more than I, Mr. T., so I shall take your word for it, but a place where Macaroni Cheese is considered a vegetable? I mean, come on, that has to be indicative of a deep seated problem.
    Mac 'n' Cheese is not like you know it out of the Kraft box. Ditto the potato salad. Home made they are to die for.
    Mac n Cheese which is not out of a Kraft box (technically now a Mondelez box) is not acceptable. Unless it's Marshall's Mac n Cheese when you want fatter macaroni.

But even then you still go back to Kraft Dinner.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Al-Jazeera are not totally independent here. Funded by the Qataris, who amongst other Gulf countries fund Daesh

• Options
    Tim_B said:

surbiton said:

This Seb Coe thing gets murkier by the hour !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/34908237

I mentioned that a few hours ago. The optics are terrible for Coe.
    I suspect we'll see rather more tolerance towards Coe ** than we saw about Sepp Blatter etc.

'He may be a SOB, but he's OUR SOB' etc

** In the UK at least.
  • Options
    Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Another casualty of the ridiculous, bloated Supercarrier vanity project.

Why use a cheap, inexpensive, effective ship like Ocean when you can roll in a hideously expensive Supercarrier.
    Grossadmiral Dairnitz hat gesprochen.
    .. he cleaned the windows and he swept the floor,
    and he polished up the handle of the big front door.

:D
    I take it your drooling personal attacks reflect the complete paucity of any argument in favour of the Supercarriers.
    Because, thanks to the f**king stupid contract Labour negotiated it was going to be as expensive to cancel the useless hulks as to commision them?
    That's just not true. The hulks might have been tied in to pay to completion. But there is no requirement to commission them, indeed they could have been sold off on the cheap to India, China, Brazil, perhaps even persuaded NATO to create joint carrier groups.

But no. He EXPANDED the Labour "plan" of one active and one mothballed Supercarrier, with 16 planes, to two active boats with 24 Lightning 2s a piece. A huge commitment which cannot be afforded... unless you cut hugely into our effective military assets like HMS Ocean.
    Ocean will be at the end of it's life. How difficult is this to understand?

Amusingly, if Ocean didn't exist now, and someone suggested building it, you'd be in full on rant mode about the ridiculous expense, and 'why can't they build a dozen littoral patrol ships with the money'.
    Ocean was launched in 1998, it is a relative young RN vessel and given its "class of it's own" status, and lack of effective replacement, could have continued to be deployed for another 20 years at least.

At decommissioning, the UK Type 23 Frigate fleet will be at least 30 years old on average, Decommissioning at 20 years is ridiculous.

Unless you believe Tory press releases, 2018 is not the end of Oceans expected life.
    HMS Ocean was built cheaply to a 'commercial standard' which gives her a 20 year lifespan.
    She is not an aircraft carrier she is an amphibious landing ship and by definition operates relatively close in to shore. She has a typical speed of 15 knots.
    She was built down to a price and has been worked to death.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Eating in the USA can be an absolute joy - lobsters, chowders, fish dishes to die for and mouthwatering steaks the like of which cannot be obtained any where else in the world, you can even get really, really good burgers - but sometimes one has to wonder about the basis of their civilisation.

Mr Llama, really. The basis of their civilization is a deep religiosity (essentially judeo-christian) and the protestant/jewish work ethic. Not much to wonder or ponder there.
    Well you know more than I, Mr. T., so I shall take your word for it, but a place where Macaroni Cheese is considered a vegetable? I mean, come on, that has to be indicative of a deep seated problem.
    Mac 'n' Cheese is not like you know it out of the Kraft box. Ditto the potato salad. Home made they are to die for.
    I am sure I don't know it out of a Kraft box, I don't even know what a Kraft box is. Clearly there is much about the USA of which I am totally ignorant and on somethings it is probably best that I remain so.

Snakes at evensong? Gosh, never mind what the Vicar would say, what about Mrs. Harris? She who kicked up the fuss when Miss Johnson's little doggie was allowed to sit in the vestibule when it was pouring with rain outside - said having a dog in the church building was irreverent. Being passed a reptile during the psalm would almost certainly induce a fit of the vapours and possibly occasion a sharp note to the Rural Dean, if not the Bishop.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Isn't tomato ketchup also classed as a vegetable for official US nutrition purposes ?
    I have heard that before but cannot confirm or deny the fact. Has to be Heinz or Hunt's though for me.
    I think it's tax purposes.

I hope you've apologised to your daughter if she's followed your fandom.

(for the frustration, the exposure to Jerry Jones, and the team that pays Greg Hardy)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Dair said:

DavidL said:

In the late 60s I was in Singapore where my dad was in the army. The USS Enterprise came into port for some R&R and we were lucky enough to get a guided tour. It was on a rotation from Nam and fully equipped. It probably had more fighter bombers on it than the RAF had available on an average day. As a weapon system capable of projecting power anywhere in the world it was unmatchable and super carriers remain so to this day which is why the Pacific remains an American lake.

We will have nothing like that but these carriers will give the UK government a range of options in the world's trouble spots that any government in the world other than the US will envy. You can argue about whether this is a good thing or not. But to suggest that this is not a major improvement on what we have right now and have had since our last carriers retired is just silly.

This "American Lake", is this the same "American Lake" that China is currently dominating to the extent that it is taking over Japanese territory with absolutely no repercussion?

It sounds like a Chinese lake.

And the Chinese have a total of ZERO Supercarriers.
    I think you are confusing the South China Sea with the Pacific Ocean........
    What's the point of owning the middle of the Pacific ? There is nothing there except algae.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The numbers I'm currently thinking of for the Oldham by-election are something like this:

Lab & UKIP: 12,500
    Con: 2,000
    LD: 1,000
    Greens: 500
    Loony: 100

Total votes: c. 28,600
    Electorate: c.72,500
    Turnout: 39-40%

That would be a lost deposit for the LibDems.

There was a time when they longed for more byelections.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

At the moment, the focus of World Sports bodies is on discrediting British administrators after the British press in a unexpected non-political role called them out on their disgusting behaviour. Coe is an obvious target, despite absolutely no indication of wrongdoing. Brian Cookson could be next.

World Sports bodies will continue to attack British administrators till they get to go back to Russia and America doping their way to medals and the Team GB dropping back to 20th in the medal table when their clean athletes can't compete.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

In the late 60s I was in Singapore where my dad was in the army. The USS Enterprise came into port for some R&R and we were lucky enough to get a guided tour. It was on a rotation from Nam and fully equipped. It probably had more fighter bombers on it than the RAF had available on an average day. As a weapon system capable of projecting power anywhere in the world it was unmatchable and super carriers remain so to this day which is why the Pacific remains an American lake.

We will have nothing like that but these carriers will give the UK government a range of options in the world's trouble spots that any government in the world other than the US will envy. You can argue about whether this is a good thing or not. But to suggest that this is not a major improvement on what we have right now and have had since our last carriers retired is just silly.

This "American Lake", is this the same "American Lake" that China is currently dominating to the extent that it is taking over Japanese territory with absolutely no repercussion?

They are also building man made islands off the coasts of the Philippines and Vietnam.

What are the Super Carriers doing ?
    Staying well away so they don't provoke the Great Dragon.
  • Options

Dair said:

DavidL said:

The South China Sea is part of the Pacific Ocean.
  • Options
    KenKen Posts: 24
    I think the chances of Labour winning next year's Scottish General Election are slim to non-existent, to be honest. I will vote SNP for the constituency and Labour for the Lothian list, and it is that list vote that must give Labour some hope for the future.

However, I reckon that the key factor to watch out for next May is not Labour's result, but how badly the Tories and Liberal-Democrats do. If the Tories can be reduced from their current tally of 15 seats to single figures, and if the LD see all five of their MSPs removed, then the anti-Tory vote will take heart.

Here in Scotland we don't yet trust Labour to have fully shaken off its Blairite years, so sticking with the SNP makes sense for people like me. The SNP will work with Labour in Westminster, so Labour is just going to have to accept the fact that they still have a long way to go before the traditional vote returns, if it ever does.

That is not the same as saying that we reject leftist, anti-auterity policies, because we vote for them. What we don't trust is the Labour Party's commitment to the old left.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Isn't tomato ketchup also classed as a vegetable for official US nutrition purposes ?
    I have heard that before but cannot confirm or deny the fact. Has to be Heinz or Hunt's though for me.

(for the frustration, the exposure to Jerry Jones, and the team that pays Greg Hardy)
    She has -all 3 of us are Cowboys fans. I went to the Superbowl in Atlanta when they beat Buffalo.

I have a problem with Greg Hardy - he doesn't need to be on an NFL team. Ray Lewis is even worse - he was involved in a murder.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Al-Jazeera are not totally independent here. Funded by the Qataris, who amongst other Gulf countries fund Daesh

Have BBC World sold off their stake in Al Jazeera?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Justin Bronk is a Research Analyst in Military Sciences at the Royal United Services Institute.

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

I am sure I don't know it out of a Kraft box, I don't even know what a Kraft box is. Clearly there is much about the USA of which I am totally ignorant and on somethings it is probably best that I remain so.

Snakes at evensong? Gosh, never mind what the Vicar would say, what about Mrs. Harris? She who kicked up the fuss when Miss Johnson's little doggie was allowed to sit in the vestibule when it was pouring with rain outside - said having a dog in the church building was irreverent. Being passed a reptile during the psalm would almost certainly induce a fit of the vapours and possibly occasion a sharp note to the Rural Dean, if not the Bishop.
    Kraft - they make Philadelphia Cream Cheese, among many other things.

You have no idea how whacko and way out some churches here are.
  • Options

Dair said:

Ocean was launched in 1998, it is a relative young RN vessel and given its "class of it's own" status, and lack of effective replacement, could have continued to be deployed for another 20 years at least.

At decommissioning, the UK Type 23 Frigate fleet will be at least 30 years old on average, Decommissioning at 20 years is ridiculous.

Unless you believe Tory press releases, 2018 is not the end of Oceans expected life.

HMS Ocean was built cheaply to a 'commercial standard' which gives her a 20 year lifespan.
    She is not an aircraft carrier she is an amphibious landing ship and by definition operates relatively close in to shore. She has a typical speed of 15 knots.

If this "commercial standard" vessel of the Royal Navy has been "worked to death" surely that indicates just how useful the boat has been and how important it is to (if it really is done) renew it on a like for like basis (at £200m) than spending £4bn on a worthless Supercarrier.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The SNP have managed to lose 2 MPs in 6 months.

WHAT ABOUT KEIZA????????

Its all a Unionist newspaper plot...

I said from the start she should be suspended until this is cleared up......
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Why use a cheap, inexpensive, effective ship like Ocean when you can roll in a hideously expensive Supercarrier.

I take it your drooling personal attacks reflect the complete paucity of any argument in favour of the Supercarriers.
    Because, thanks to the f**king stupid contract Labour negotiated it was going to be as expensive to cancel the useless hulks as to commision them?
    That's just not true. The hulks might have been tied in to pay to completion. But there is no requirement to commission them, indeed they could have been sold off on the cheap to India, China, Brazil, perhaps even persuaded NATO to create joint carrier groups.

But no. He EXPANDED the Labour "plan" of one active and one mothballed Supercarrier, with 16 planes, to two active boats with 24 Lightning 2s a piece. A huge commitment which cannot be afforded... unless you cut hugely into our effective military assets like HMS Ocean.

Amusingly, if Ocean didn't exist now, and someone suggested building it, you'd be in full on rant mode about the ridiculous expense, and 'why can't they build a dozen littoral patrol ships with the money'.

Don't confuse Dair with facts, or he'll bombard us with yet more CAPITALS.
  • Options
    Dair said:

surbiton said:

At the moment, the focus of World Sports bodies is on discrediting British administrators after the British press in a unexpected non-political role called them out on their disgusting behaviour. Coe is an obvious target, despite absolutely no indication of wrongdoing. Brian Cookson could be next.

World Sports bodies will continue to attack British administrators till they get to go back to Russia and America doping their way to medals and the Team GB dropping back to 20th in the medal table when their clean athletes can't compete.
    Coe is an obvious target, despite absolutely no indication of wrongdoing.

The BBC has emails proving that Coe talked to at least 1 Nike executive during the bidding process. That is a no-no.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    watford30 said:

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Don't wind up Dair, or he'll bombard us with yet more CAPITALS.
    Capital ships? ;)
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

The South China Sea is part of the Pacific Ocean.
    In the same way that the North Sea is a marginal part of the Atlantic. You really do insist on over egging every pudding you bake.
  • Options

You probably do know it. In the UK it is called "Cheesy Pasta", used to be "Kraft Cheesy Pasta" till Mondelez was created, now it's just "Cheesy Pasta" without the Kraft label".
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34909649

Saw her berthed at Greenwich a couple of years ago. Impressive sight.

HMS Ocean, the "Flagship of the Royal Navy", is to be decommissioned after a multi-million pound refit.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the move would happen in 2018, when HMS Ocean will have "reached the end of her life", despite no mention of it in Monday's Strategic Defence and Security Review.

The Devonport-based helicopter carrier and assault ship, which is Britain's biggest warship, underwent a £65m upgrade in 2014.

Dair, there is a very good web discussion site called Think Defence, you should go over there and air your views, you might learn a few things.
    Think Defence is not credible. Gentlemen of a certain age. Nothing wrong with that but a certain agenda pursued.
  • Options
    Ken said:

I think the chances of Labour winning next year's Scottish General Election are slim to non-existent, to be honest. I will vote SNP for the constituency and Labour for the Lothian list, and it is that list vote that must give Labour some hope for the future.

However, I reckon that the key factor to watch out for next May is not Labour's result, but how badly the Tories and Liberal-Democrats do. If the Tories can be reduced from their current tally of 15 seats to single figures, and if the LD see all five of their MSPs removed, then the anti-Tory vote will take heart.

Here in Scotland we don't yet trust Labour to have fully shaken off its Blairite years, so sticking with the SNP makes sense for people like me. The SNP will work with Labour in Westminster, so Labour is just going to have to accept the fact that they still have a long way to go before the traditional vote returns, if it ever does.

That is not the same as saying that we reject leftist, anti-auterity policies, because we vote for them. What we don't trust is the Labour Party's commitment to the old left.

Hahahhahaha.

SLAB are dead, the Tories will finish second in the next Holyrood election. They are already close to achieving that.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Kraft - they make Philadelphia Cream Cheese, among many other things.

You have no idea how whacko and way out some churches here are.
    I have occasionally done some M&A work. I wasn't involved in the Kraft takeover of Cadbury but I tried to get a meme going. You get Big Oil, Big Pharma etc. So why not Big Cheese? Maybe I need more media training.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump leads PPP's newest poll by a wide margin...on which
    candidate Americans think would be the most likely to say something inappropriate at the
    table and ruin Thanksgiving Dinner. 46% say they think Trump would be the candidate
    most likely to ruin Thanksgiving, as much as all the rest of the candidates combined.
    Hillary Clinton at 22%, Bernie Sanders at 7%, Jeb Bush and Ben Carson at 6%, Ted Cruz
    at 4%, and Marco Rubio at 1% round out the standings on who people think would be
    most likely to wreck the holiday.

By a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of
    the President's executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni
    and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the
    President's executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that's a pretty clear sign
    that if you put Obama's name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty
    much no matter what. Overall there's 35/22 support for the pardon of Macaroni and
    Cheese thanks to 59/11 support from Democrats and 28/21 from independents.

(This was a genuine poll apparently!)

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_112315.pdf

Genuine I have no doubt, but definitely tongue in cheek and not at all serious. It's Thanksgiving!

Think Panorama and their feature on the spaghetti tree on April 1 many years ago.
    Indeed, if you are interested they have further polling on macaroni cheese and cranberry sauce as suitable sides for thanksgiving dinner and more besides
    Where I live mac 'n' cheese is a vegetable (it's on the list of sides on every restaurant menu). We're not having it this time. We are having cranberry jelly though with the turkey. My request was for peas. I haven't had peas in years. My daughter's request is for sweet potatoes. For dessert, what else - universal acclamation for apple pie a la mode.

The other Thanksgiving tradition is Football. For the 36 years I have lived here the 1pm game is always Detroit at home, and the 4.15pm game is always Dallas at home. The NFL Network also now has a game at 8.15pm, but it moves each year. Thursday it's Chicago at Green Bay. Dallas (3-7) favored by 1 over 10-0 Carolina - I still don't believe it.

But of course I'm not a fan.
    Pasta comes from durum wheat, so it is clearly a vegetable. And, well, cheese is not meat, so must be a vegetable too. Really, Tim, I am surprised at you!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I still can't believe the Tories could beat Labour in Scotland...
    Dair said:

Ken said:

Hahahhahaha.

SLAB are dead, the Tories will finish second in the next Holyrood election. They are already close to achieving that.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

You probably do know it. In the UK it is called "Cheesy Pasta", used to be "Kraft Cheesy Pasta" till Mondelez was created, now it's just "Cheesy Pasta" without the Kraft label".
    When I lived in the UK Philadelphia Cream Cheese was colloquially known as 'philly' and came in a silver colored wrapper.

They don't use the Kraft label there any more?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

The BBC has emails proving that Coe talked to at least 1 Nike executive during the bidding process. That is a no-no.
    Why is that a no no.

Former athlete talks to his sponsors. Former athlete wanting to see "Track and Field" boosted in the US promotes US "Track and Field". this seems like a ridiculous deflection plot.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    RobD said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

watford30 said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

SNIP

Don't wind up Dair, or he'll bombard us with yet more CAPITALS.
    Capital ships? ;)
    SUPERCAPITALS.
  • Options

Dair said:

pbr2013 said:

MikeK said:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875#.g0u8syx5x

A test pilot has some very, very bad news about the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The pricey new stealth jet can’t turn or climb fast enough to hit an enemy plane during a dogfight or to dodge the enemy’s own gunfire, the pilot reported following a day of mock air battles back in January.
    “The F-35 was at a distinct energy disadvantage,” the unnamed pilot wrote in a scathing five-page brief that War Is Boring has obtained. The brief is unclassified but is labeled “for official use only.”
    The test pilot’s report is the latest evidence of fundamental problems with the design of the F-35 — which, at a total program cost of more than a trillion dollars, is history’s most expensive weapon.

I do have concerns about the F35 actually. Unfortunately, it's far too late to turn back now.
    The F35 is the most advanced aircraft in the world. Apart from the septics we will have the most technologically advanced fast jet fleet in the world. And future-proofed so far as is possible. Way ahead of anything that the Russians or Chinese will be able to produce in the next 2 decades.
    The United Kingdom has a total of ZERO F35s in operation and may never have any. There are also quite legitimate concerns about whether they actually work.
    The F35B is now operational with the US Marine Corp
    This. July 3015 unless I am mistaken. 5G weapon system. Apart from F22, whose production lines are closed and is anyway not designed for the same role, the most advanced combat fast jet in the world. And its integration with Typhoon is a remarkable leap.
  • Options
    Lol 2013.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump leads PPP's newest poll by a wide margin...on which
    candidate Americans think would be the most likely to say something inappropriate at the
    table and ruin Thanksgiving Dinner. 46% say they think Trump would be the candidate
    most likely to ruin Thanksgiving, as much as all the rest of the candidates combined.
    Hillary Clinton at 22%, Bernie Sanders at 7%, Jeb Bush and Ben Carson at 6%, Ted Cruz
    at 4%, and Marco Rubio at 1% round out the standings on who people think would be
    most likely to wreck the holiday.

By a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of
    the President's executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni
    and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the
    President's executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that's a pretty clear sign
    that if you put Obama's name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty
    much no matter what. Overall there's 35/22 support for the pardon of Macaroni and
    Cheese thanks to 59/11 support from Democrats and 28/21 from independents.

(This was a genuine poll apparently!)

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_112315.pdf

Genuine I have no doubt, but definitely tongue in cheek and not at all serious. It's Thanksgiving!

Think Panorama and their feature on the spaghetti tree on April 1 many years ago.
    Indeed, if you are interested they have further polling on macaroni cheese and cranberry sauce as suitable sides for thanksgiving dinner and more besides
    Where I live mac 'n' cheese is a vegetable (it's on the list of sides on every restaurant menu). We're not having it this time. We are having cranberry jelly though with the turkey. My request was for peas. I haven't had peas in years. My daughter's request is for sweet potatoes. For dessert, what else - universal acclamation for apple pie a la mode.

The other Thanksgiving tradition is Football. For the 36 years I have lived here the 1pm game is always Detroit at home, and the 4.15pm game is always Dallas at home. The NFL Network also now has a game at 8.15pm, but it moves each year. Thursday it's Chicago at Green Bay. Dallas (3-7) favored by 1 over 10-0 Carolina - I still don't believe it.

But of course I'm not a fan.
    Pasta comes from durum wheat, so it is clearly a vegetable. And, well, cheese is not meat, so must be a vegetable too. Really, Tim, I am surprised at you!
    Come on - you know that when a recipe says separate the eggs I make 2 piles! I shall wear your surprise as a badge of honor ;)
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34909649

Saw her berthed at Greenwich a couple of years ago. Impressive sight.

HMS Ocean, the "Flagship of the Royal Navy", is to be decommissioned after a multi-million pound refit.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the move would happen in 2018, when HMS Ocean will have "reached the end of her life", despite no mention of it in Monday's Strategic Defence and Security Review.

The Devonport-based helicopter carrier and assault ship, which is Britain's biggest warship, underwent a £65m upgrade in 2014.

Dair, there is a very good web discussion site called Think Defence, you should go over there and air your views, you might learn a few things.
    Think Defence is not credible. Gentlemen of a certain age. Nothing wrong with that but a certain agenda pursued.
    A lot, if not most of the posters there know what they are talking about but if you don't like it don't go there. I don't mind.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

If this "commercial standard" vessel of the Royal Navy has been "worked to death" surely that indicates just how useful the boat has been and how important it is to (if it really is done) renew it on a like for like basis (at £200m) than spending £4bn on a worthless Supercarrier.
    HMS Ocean is an Amphibious Landing Ship. It is not any kind of aircraft carrier. We are not building supercarriers.
    We also have 2 other amphibious landing ships, Albion and Bulwark, c 20,000 tonnes (L12 & L14)

I am told the operating cost of operating the QE2s is about the same as an Illustrious.
  • Options
    Really, read their latest. They can't even punctuate.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

She has -all 3 of us are Cowboys fans. I went to the Superbowl in Atlanta when they beat Buffalo.

I have a problem with Greg Hardy - he doesn't need to be on an NFL team. Ray Lewis is even worse - he was involved in a murder.
    Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson. Between the concussions, and the press it's interesting how NFL continues being the juggernaut it is.

• Options
    Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

Why is that a no no.

Former athlete talks to his sponsors. Former athlete wanting to see "Track and Field" boosted in the US promotes US "Track and Field". this seems like a ridiculous deflection plot.
    If you are the head of a ruling body which awards a championship to a city, and are also paid by a company which represents one of those cities, that is a conflict of interest, particularly if it is established beyond doubt that he has talked to an executive of the company which pays him regarding the status of the bid.

It's not a deflection plot, it is a direct conflict of interest.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

When I lived in the UK Philadelphia Cream Cheese was colloquially known as 'philly' and came in a silver colored wrapper.

They don't use the Kraft label there any more?
    Philly is still labelled Kraft. It's just Cheesy Pasta that's become Mondelez (along with all of Cadbury).

Mondelez are currently destroying Cadbury. Anything not labelled "Dairy Milk" has had it's chocolate downgraded from Dairy Milk to "standard cocoa blend". Creme Eggs were the first that hurt then, but when you taste them any non-Dairy Milk product with a Cadbury label is now inedible.

I really did love Creme Eggs. And so much more. All gone and inedible now.

Blair should not be hung for the Iraq War. He should be hung for selling off Cadbury.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to read your critique of the F35 progamme HL.
  • Options
    On the earlier question 'is the tomato a vegetable in the US'? IIRC Jamie Oliver found out when he did his 'Jamie's School Dinners' in the US that they served Pizza for breakfast as it counted as''a portion of bread and a portion of vegetable"
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson. Between the concussions, and the press it's interesting how NFL continues being the juggernaut it is.

It gets worse - Greg Hardy needed a mentor, so he got - - Ray Rice. Adrian Peterson has at least been contrite. But yes there are issues here.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Sorry, I have never seen, let alone eaten, "Cheesy Pasta" (Herself does from time to time cook Macaroni Cheese and very nice it is too, but that is homemade from basic ingredients and definitely not served as a vegetable), and I still don't know what a Kraft box is.

However, I think, as I said earlier, it would probably be best if I treasure my ignorance on the matter of American processed foods.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

Why is that a no no.

If you are the head of a ruling body which awards a championship to a city, and are also paid by a company which represents one of those cities, that is a conflict of interest, particularly if it is established beyond doubt that he has talked to an executive of the company which pays him regarding the status of the bid.

Eugene was awarded the World Championships before Coe was elected head of the IAAF.
  • Options
    So how old are you? I guess about 22
  • Options

On the earlier question 'is the tomato a vegetable in the US'? IIRC Jamie Oliver found out when he did his 'Jamie's School Dinners' in the US that they served Pizza for breakfast as it counted as''a portion of bread and a portion of vegetable"

They have a wonderful tradition here called brunch, typically at the weekends. Many's the time I've had a bit of pizza, or my favorite - steak and eggs.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Is that addressed to me, Mr 2013? If so I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. I have read an awful lot about the F35 development over the years but I would not dream of writing about it or the 'planes capabilities - to do so would take me far too far outside my knowledge zone.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

surbiton said:

Why is that a no no.

Eugene was awarded the World Championships before Coe was elected head of the IAAF.
    He was an IAAF official at the time he met with the Nike executive. It's still conflict of interest. I'm not saying it's grounds for resignation - there's so much graft and corruption in the athletics area that this doesn't make much difference.

But it looks like he's more part of the problem than part of the solution.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Is that addressed to me, Mr 2013? If so I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. I have read an awful lot about the F35 development over the years but I would not dream of writing about it or the 'planes capabilities - to do so would take me far too far outside my knowledge zone.
    You're saying your cat couldn't fly an F-35? C'mon get real ;)
  • Options
    New German poll:

CDU/CSU 34.5%
    SPD 23%
    Left 10.5%
    AfD 10%
    Green 9%
    FDP 6%
    Others 7%

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahl_zum_19._Deutschen_Bundestag
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Labour massively underestimated the time taken to bring a brand new technology into operation. The way the USA chose to develop the plane did not help either. Methodology designed to speed things up has probably slowed it down. Its a new kind of plane in many respects and its fancy helmet is its big issue I think.
    But labour never had enough money in the budget for their plans anyway.
    I'm surprised the Pentagon has gone ahead with the programme anyway given the US deficit, so perhaps it will be a good plane in the end, but several years late.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

I am sure he would have the reflexes for it but the lack of an opposable thumb disqualifies him from even trying.

However, whilst we are on the subject of animal's special capabilities, when is Heidi going to give us her prediction for the winner of the US presidential election? I have my betting money put aside I just await her wisdom.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

New German poll:

CDU/CSU 34.5%
    SPD 23%
    Left 10.5%
    AfD 10%
    Green 9%
    FDP 6%
    Others 7%

Thank God. It's the first poll for months that hasn't had Trump in the lead ;)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I would guess he's relatively straight (but it's all relative) {though might just be misplaced patriotism clouding my judgement}

sporting bodies investigating corruption is much like the Catholic Church investigating child abuse. they all fear revelation of the truth because if faith is lost, the whole thing fails. hence covering up doping incidents for the "good of the sport"

still mystified why Russia's state sponsored doping medal haul was so poor though. Unless, of course, several other nations have been doing it too
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Labour massively underestimated the time taken to bring a brand new technology into operation. The way the USA chose to develop the plane did not help either. Methodology designed to speed things up has probably slowed it down. Its a new kind of plane in many respects and its fancy helmet is its big issue I think.
    But labour never had enough money in the budget for their plans anyway.
    I'm surprised the Pentagon has gone ahead with the programme anyway given the US deficit, so perhaps it will be a good plane in the end, but several years late.
    It is worth remembering that when Blair's government scrapped the Sea Harrier in 2006 they said the new generation of carriers would be operational in 2012.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

pbr2013 said:

I am sure he would have the reflexes for it but the lack of an opposable thumb disqualifies him from even trying.

However, whilst we are on the subject of animal's special capabilities, when is Heidi going to give us her prediction for the winner of the US presidential election? I have my betting money put aside I just await her wisdom.
    Worry not Mr Llama, I am already working on this, and have been developing it day and night for almost an hour.

Uh oh - the paw has landed again.....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

New German poll:

CDU/CSU 34.5%
    SPD 23%
    Left 10.5%
    AfD 10%
    Green 9%
    FDP 6%
    Others 7%

Do you think Trump would have any chance of beating Hillary?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I would guess he's relatively straight (but it's all relative) {though might just be misplaced patriotism clouding my judgement}

sporting bodies investigating corruption is much like the Catholic Church investigating child abuse. they all fear revelation of the truth because if faith is lost, the whole thing fails. hence covering up doping incidents for the "good of the sport"

still mystified why Russia's state sponsored doping medal haul was so poor though. Unless, of course, several other nations have been doing it too
    The last point's easy - abolish all national doping labs, all sport specific doping labs, give the money to WADA and let them run everything worldwide.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The last point's easy - abolish all national doping labs, all sport specific doping labs, give the money to WADA and let them run everything worldwide.

yep, obviously the best solution. You just need to convince a few thousand regional sports administrators to give up their perks and kickbacks. And for the others to admit that there is a serious problem that needs money and resources to solve
  • Options

Tim_B said:

yep, obviously the best solution. You just need to convince a few thousand regional sports administrators to give up their perks and kickbacks. And for the others to admit that there is a serious problem that needs money and resources to solve
    It's a simple solution, but not easy.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

...there is a very good web discussion site called Think Defence...

I *really* wish you hadn't mentioned that site: I popped over in passing but spent twenty minutes reading thru the Challenger 2 Life Extension Program thread. Darn thing is a time-sink...

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

New German poll:

CDU/CSU 34.5%
    SPD 23%
    Left 10.5%
    AfD 10%
    Green 9%
    FDP 6%
    Others 7%

Do you think Trump would have any chance of beating Hillary?
    Carson is already starting to falter, and Trump is under attack from the 'fact finders' about his 9-11 comments. I've said on here before that my feeling - with no rational logic - is that neither Trump nor Carson will be the Republican candidate.

Hillary will definitely be - short of federal indictment - the Democratic candidate.

We are 11 months away from the election and anything can happen. I think Hillary is very beatable. The question, is by whom?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

20 years was the announced service life when it was built, which does indeed mean byebye in 2018. It's not really comparable to a traditional warship, they can't easily keep it going with endless refits (it'd be possible, but would rapidly get very expensive).

Good value ship though - probably in the near future the RN will buy another, or something similar (collaboration with the French perhaps, the Mistral class is impressive).
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Yes it was Mr HL. Nothing is perfect in an imperfect world but the F35 is the most capable fast jet platform there is. F22 aside. Do the Russians or the Chinese, the only potential peers in this space have anything remotely to compare? That would be a no. The Isrealis? Oh, they are buying F35.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Dair said:

20 years was the announced service life when it was built, which does indeed mean byebye in 2018. It's not really comparable to a traditional warship, they can't easily keep it going with endless refits (it'd be possible, but would rapidly get very expensive).

Good value ship though - probably in the near future the RN will buy another, or something similar (collaboration with the French perhaps, the Mistral class is impressive).
    Nah, the 2x QE2 decks will suffice for that. As Obergruupenfuher Dair states one helicopter deck will do it. Whatever "it" is.
  • Options
    I broadly agree with the thread - the unions are crucial to the outcome and won't back a loser. Those who will stick with Corbyn are those on the hard left who have long been interested in keeping principle over power, until now often exercised in the form of the UK equivalents of the Peoples' Front of Judea tearing lumps of principle out of the Judean Peoples' Front. By contrast the unions have very real battles to fight for their members. The time for hard truths will be after the reckoning of the large scale Labour seat losses in the 2016 local government elections, which will start to concentrate minds on the implications of Corbyn as a loser, amongst a lot of the long term party members as well as the unions. Given that Corbyn still has at least the best part of a year before the first of what may be several formal challenges to his leadership arises, and challengers may still prefer to wait for a further series of electoral defeats before acting.

Eventually, I think that as with Heseltine and Major, the person (in Labour's case the anointed candidate of the New Labour rump) who forces the contest(s) will be damaged by doing so, potentially leaving a candidate with cleaner hands (from the Labour soft left) to join in a contest forced by another and win on a final ballot. The union endorsements won't go to a dead-cert-loser Corbyn in those circumstances.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    Alistair said:

The F-35 development program is so incompetent it has made the F-22 dev program seem like a model of military procurement perfection.

Given the expected depth of sales (yes, I know) then the F35 project is fairly healthy. It'd be much worse if they were aiming to only build 100 of the things.

Yes, there are problems, and I fear for all the variants really working in any way as promised (especially the B variant). But what we'll get will still be a good airframe, and better than the things they replaced for most expected roles.

If you want to study a really mismanaged project, look at the A12 Avenger-II. Planned to be a stealth aircraft for the US Navy, a couple of billion was spent before the program was cancelled in ?1991?. The legal settlement over the project was only reached last year ...

And BTW, I'm not a great fan of stealth in planes. It's generally making planes more expensive, limits utility, decreases payload, increases maintenance costs, and clever people can work out practical ways around it (radio waves are frankly weird). Aside from Radar-Absorbent Materials, I'd expect most airframes to be run in non-stealthy mode most of the time.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Indeed. Apologies, I didn't quite hit the right tone with that post. I completely agree.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

So, now Sports is sorted, How about the solution for a post ISIS Syria? :)
  • Options

Alistair said:

The F-35 development program is so incompetent it has made the F-22 dev program seem like a model of military procurement perfection.

Given the expected depth of sales (yes, I know) then the F35 project is fairly healthy. It'd be much worse if they were aiming to only build 100 of the things.

Yes, there are problems, and I fear for all the variants really working in any way as promised (especially the B variant). But what we'll get will still be a good airframe, and better than the things they replaced for most expected roles.

If you want to study a really mismanaged project, look at the A12 Avenger-II. Planned to be a stealth aircraft for the US Navy, a couple of billion was spent before the program was cancelled in ?1991?. The legal settlement over the project was only reached last year ...

And BTW, I'm not a great fan of stealth in planes. It's generally making planes more expensive, limits utility, decreases payload, increases maintenance costs, and clever people can work out practical ways around it (radio waves are frankly weird). Aside from Radar-Absorbent Materials, I'd expect most airframes to be run in non-stealthy mode most of the time.
    Nobody in the know talks about "stealth" anymore. Low observability is the thing. You can see them before they can see you. As the Russian pilots today could, if they could, testify. RIP Sergei. No way that generation of Turkish F16 would have got a lock on to an F35. Or indeed a current Typhoon.

The RAF is world class. The big problem with our strategic posture is the army. Back to an expiditionary force. Then again, the great advantage of being an island nation is that we don't need a big standing army. But there are some concerns about the maintainance of full spectrun capabilities. Especially about armoured But that might be the last war. Maybe the guiding minds here do have some insight into the future.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    pbr2013 said:

Alistair said:

Nobody in the know talks about "stealth" anymore. Low observability is the thing. You can see them before they can see you. As the Russian pilots today could, if they could, testify. RIP Sergei. No way that generation of Turkish F16 would have got a lock on to an F35. Or indeed a current Typhoon.

The RAF is world class. The big problem with our strategic posture is the army. Back to an expiditionary force. Then again, the great advantage of being an island nation is that we don't need a big standing army. But there are some concerns about the maintainance of full spectrun capabilities. Especially about armoured But that might be the last war. Maybe the guiding minds here do have some insight into the future.
    Hmmm. I've always taken Low Observability and stealth to be synonyms. No plane can ever be 100% stealthy from radar, IR etc; as you say, it's a case of making them unobservable for as long as possible against as many threats as possible.

AIUI, basic shape can help a great deal. But once you go beyond this, LO becomes massively expensive, especially in maintenance. Maintaining RAM materials, ensuring all screws are perfectly flush: it all adds up.

I see the RAF and RN maintaining a few planes for maximum LO to keep experience, and most of the rest being operated in a lower standard to save money. If they go into a combat zone, it'd be easy to step them up to maximum LO.

But that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Cyclefree as subtle as TSE's shoes ;)
This discussion has been closed.