Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Generally on days like this George Osborne improves his Bet

Comments

• Options
    OK, so now we know what the overwhelming story is going to be about this statement, what's going to be snuck through under the dust that it throws up?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Tax credits are being dealt with by universal credit anyways in the long run. I think that's the important part, the long term run !
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Why would he bother?

OMG this budget is all about Osborne's career....
  • Options
    It wasn't the Lords that changed his mind, it's to get the support of Mercer, Foster, Fleiss, McPartland and a whole bunch of others in his leadership bid.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    taffys said:

Why would he bother?

OMG this budget is all about Osborne's career....

Why not use 'Gideon Osbrowne' for added effect.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited November 2015
    Councils sitting on £1tr of assets that can be sold and 100% of proceeds spent locally.

From next year the basic state pension will rise by £3.35, bringing it to £119.30 per week.

It marks the biggest rise in the state pensions for 15 years. Since the Tories came to power the rises have left pensioners £1,125 per year better off.
  • Options
    ''Why not use 'Gideon Osbrowne' for added effect.''

Brown would be quite at home announcing these measures...
  • Options
    If Osborne wants to be leader he needs to address two questions:

(1) his judgement: can he show his party he has the empathy and emotional antennae needed to be Prime Minister, not only in planning his big set-pieces but also in responding to events?

(2) the party writ-large: what does he offer to traditional social conservatives (like me) who fear that under his leadership the Conservatives would just become a fiscally dry New Labour?

At the moment, his manoeuvres seem to be about demonstrating competence in government outside the treasury and building a wide parliamentary following beholden to him sufficient to guarantee he gets to the final two.

That might be a necessary precursor to an Osborne victory, but it's not sufficient for it.
  • Options

Councils sitting on £1tr of assets that can be sold and 100% of proceeds spent locally.

From next year the basic state pension will rise by £3.35, bringing it to £119.30 per week.

It marks the biggest rise in the state pensions for 15 years. Since the Tories came to power the rises have left pensioners £1,125 per year better off.

Osborne knows his base.

• Options
    I think this Autumn statement tells us he definitely wants the top job.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Tax credit changes scrapped...lol.

This charlatan is the chancellor!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2015
    Reading some of the things about Universal Credit which kick in April 2017 - the expectation is 35 hours work.

Self Employed workers = "You will probably have your payments calculated as if you were earning at least at least 35 x the minimum hourly wage each week (depending on your ability to work and any caring commitments you have)"
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/12014530/Autumn-Statement-2015-live.html
    Ben Riley-Smith, our political correspondent:

Labour MPs are looking surprisingly glum after that tax credit announcement in the Chamber.

Despite joyful claims on Twitter from Labourites that this is a "big win" for them, it was more likely opposition from Tory MPs that forced George Osborne to ditch the plans.

Labour had been gearing up for a big attack on tax credits before today, demanding nothing short of full abandonment would do. They'll enjoy the headlines today -- but the hammer they were hoping to use to bash the Tories with for months to come has just been removed.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Financial insanity. Cutting spending on the young and lavishing it on the elderly.
  • Options

Osborne has broken the first rule of truly successful tory leaders. The Thatcher rule.

You never give in to 'experts', think tanks, newspaper columnists, lords, celebrities, assorted hand wringing lefties and other assorted bien pensant garbage.

Never. And you never U-turn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It sure does. More sweeties for Tory voting pensioners and Boris spiked on tax credits.

• Options

Financial insanity. Cutting spending on the young and lavishing it on the elderly.
    Not sure I agree... in this spending review there are no obvious cuts that affect me, particularly, as said young person.

I'm most concerns about the delivery, rather than promises, of new housebuilding.
  • Options

You think £6K per year is lavish? Really?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Does Osborne genuinely think that laughing at people losing their jobs and businesses going under is going to help save the Union or is he just playing to his own crowd of imbeciles watching on TV?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Osborne has broken the first rule of truly successful tory leaders. The Thatcher rule.

You never give in to 'experts', think tanks, newspaper columnists, lords, celebrities, assorted hand wringing lefties and other assorted bien pensant garbage.

It'll be dealt with by universal credit. It's a U-turn for what ? all of 2 years or so. £8 Bn to buy the votes of enough Tory MPs on the left of the party to comfortably get into the final two (Probably at the expense of Boris to boot)
  • Options
    Master strategy.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Agreed, but it's a brave politician who says it.
  • Options
    I disagree - when you've comprehensively lost the PR war and your own side have wobble bottoms, it's better to cut your losses and find another route.

i think it was almost an entire PR fail that resulted in this, but we are where we are. UC will solve the issue anyway so not all is lost. And the 2500 stays IIRC.
    taffys said:

• Options
    Rimshot from George there.
  • Options
    bit crass but funny from Osborne there
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2015
    taffys said:

Osborne is following the other Thatcher rule -- take advantage of a disunited opposition.

And if any pb Tories took note of my post-budget advice to prepare to reverse ferret on tax credits, they will realise Osborne is obeying yet another Thatcher rule in following her BFF economist, Milton Friedman, inventor of monetarism and, erm, tax credits.
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/12014530/Autumn-Statement-2015-live.html

Ben Riley-Smith, our political correspondent:

Labour MPs are looking surprisingly glum after that tax credit announcement in the Chamber.

Despite joyful claims on Twitter from Labourites that this is a "big win" for them, it was more likely opposition from Tory MPs that forced George Osborne to ditch the plans.

Labour had been gearing up for a big attack on tax credits before today, demanding nothing short of full abandonment would do. They'll enjoy the headlines today -- but the hammer they were hoping to use to bash the Tories with for months to come has just been removed.

They know that none of it has anything to do with them. It is all about George and his leadership ambitions. And they have to sit through McDonnell's response, which will undoubtedly be horrific.

• Options
    taffys said:

Well in the case of Mrs Thatcher, that's rubbish. She regularly u-turned. Eg:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/18/newsid_2550000/2550991.stm
  • Options
    People are over-analysing the tax-credits U-turn. He just didn't have the votes - same as Ken Clarke's U-turn on VAT on domestic fuel back in the 90s.
  • Options

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/18/newsid_2550000/2550991.stm

As did Blair - and that was with a huge majority.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    George to use Tampon Tax revenues to spend on women's charities. £15m to three refuges, invitations to others.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

(1) his judgement: can he show his party he has the empathy and emotional antennae needed to be Prime Minister, not only in planning his big set-pieces but also in responding to events?

(2) the party writ-large: what does he offer to traditional social conservatives (like me) who fear that under his leadership the Conservatives would just become a fiscally dry New Labour?

At the moment, his manoeuvres seem to be about demonstrating competence in government outside the treasury and building a wide parliamentary following beholden to him sufficient to guarantee he gets to the final two.

That might be a necessary precursor to an Osborne victory, but it's not sufficient for it.

I'm interested by your question 2. I'm not a social conservative so my instinct for this might be wrong but I guess that it would be almost impossible for Osborne, at this stage in his career, to win over someone of your persuasion? Would any offer he made not seem like obvious positioning for the leadership contest and be swiftly dismissed?
  • Options

taffys said:

And the pits closed eventually. As will the tax credits.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Not sure I agree... in this spending review there are no obvious cuts that affect me, particularly, as said young person.

I'm most concerns about the delivery, rather than promises, of new housebuilding.
    Perhaps not in this statement, but the trend since 2010 is clear: tuition fees up, child benefit cut, child tax credits frozen, policies that stoke house price inflation pursued. Meanwhile pensioners protected and handed a gold plated increase in the state pension next year.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

Dare one ask for details?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Hasn't he just deferred the free childcare programme and withdrawn eligibility to people who are unemployed or working less than 16 hours?
  • Options
    LIBOR fines for guide dogs, Bentley Priory, various military trusts/war graves and memorials.
  • Options
    Having listened to the beginning of this speech it all seems to be a bit too good to be true. Considering it is supposed to be about massive cuts a lot of seems to consist of "investing in x" and "maintaining spending in y"
  • Options
    edited November 2015

£8k a year really as anyone on the SP with no other income can claim Pension Credit and the assorted pensioner goodies.

Plenty of people on here have been attacking "scrounges" on half that level of tax credits in the last few months, so it is certainly seen as lavish for them. But somehow the elderly are uniquely virtuous when it comes to receiving welfare.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dare one ask for details?
    Alan Johnson has been lobbying to make Hull the city of culture.

So George said (I paraphrase)

"Whilst [Alan Johnson] has been contributing to culture, the Labour frontbench have been contributing to comedy"
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

People are over-analysing the tax-credits U-turn. He just didn't have the votes - same as Ken Clarke's U-turn on VAT on domestic fuel back in the 90s.

That's how I see it. Too many Tory MPs were wary of it. Arguably the root of the problem was a failure to persuade the public though. Trying to push it through with a reluctant Parliamentary party, small majority, hostile public and HoL = fool's errand.
  • Options
    Osborne extends small business rate relief scheme for another year, helping 600,000 SMEs #spendingreview #as2015

The business budget has been slashed by 17 per cent. This is partly achieved by offering £165million of loans to companies, rather than the current grants.

Mr Osborne says that this is a practice currently undertaken in France.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Hasn't he just deferred the free childcare programme and withdrawn eligibility to people who are unemployed or working less than 16 hours?

Don't think they were ever eligible for the new scheme.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Don't think they were ever eligible for the new scheme.
    Fair enough.

I believe implementation has been deferred by twelve months.
  • Options
    Student loans for part-time, FE, post grads.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Osborne extends small business rate relief scheme for another year, helping 600,000 SMEs #spendingreview #as2015

The business budget has been slashed by 17 per cent. This is partly achieved by offering £165million of loans to companies, rather than the current grants.

usual gimmicky crap

if he'd break up some of the mega banks and restore some good old fashioned competition the need for bankers to earn a salary would do the rest.

But he likes the Brownite settlement so won't change it.
  • Options
    "£10.1 billion surplus by 2020"

Does anybody actually believe this rubbish, especially given growth is predicted to be "normal"-ish levels, nothing out of this world.
  • Options

£8k a year really as anyone on the SP with no other income can claim Pension Credit and the assorted pensioner goodies.

Plenty of people on here have been attacking "scrounges" on half that level of tax credits in the last few months, so it is certainly seen as lavish for them. But somehow the elderly are uniquely virtuous when it comes to receiving welfare.

They vote Tory. George is looking after his client state.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015

They can, but those haven't been ring-fenced.

But yes, you are right, the average pensioner does get a total of something like £8K per year in accordance with the promises made over half a century by successive governments regarding what National Insurance was supposed to be for. Clearly you think this is too much - 'lavish' in your words.

What do you think a fair state pension would be? Presumably a lot less, given how lavish £8K is. Care to put a figure on it?
  • Options

Hmm Why would you ever give a business a grant. Any business...
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Student loans for part-time, FE, post grads.

or we could just stop pissing away money on foreign aid and pay their fees instead.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Having listened to the beginning of this speech it all seems to be a bit too good to be true. Considering it is supposed to be about massive cuts a lot of seems to consist of "investing in x" and "maintaining spending in y"

Despite the hype there never were going to be massive cuts, certainly nothing like the massive cuts that took place in Ireland. That's the trouble with the opposition hyping up "austerity", they make it all to easy for Osborne to step around their traps.
  • Options

Does anybody actually believe this rubbish, especially given growth is predicted to be "normal"-ish levels, nothing out of this world.

The growth forecasts look perfectly realistic if we're to have no recession between now and then.
  • Options

It's not that they're uniquely virtuous. It's that (nearly) everyone expects to be a pensioner one day. Whether I'll get a triple-locked state pension must be open to some doubt, mind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The growth forecasts look perfectly realistic if we're to have no recession between now and then.
    I don't disagree, I just don't buy the surplus. Where's it going to come from? The government deficit reduction is looking poor this year, and that is despite increased tax revenue. There is no real sign they are turning the taps off, and today we have the shelving of tax credits cuts.
  • Options
    Most of the cuts this time are coming out of Whitehall and BIS, Justice.

Holloway to close, underused courts to close, new prisons to replace. And as above BIS grants are gone in th main.

Housing budget doubled to £2bn a year.
    glw said:

Despite the hype there never were going to be massive cuts, certainly nothing like the massive cuts that took place in Ireland. That's the trouble with the opposition hyping up "austerity", they make it all to easy for Osborne to step around their traps.
  • Options
    3% BTL Stamp Duty add on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    edited November 2015
    Well that's my BTL empire buggered. Osborne out
  • Options
    He's been at it for an hour now...
  • Options

Well that's my BTL empire buggered

no-one ever got rich underestimating George.

you can't underestimate him enough.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited November 2015
    Buy to letters got f*****. Good. Make that a 3% per year.
  • Options
    Sixth form colleges will now be able to become academies

No cut funding for adult education.

Savings of £600million made from the education services grant that goes to local authorities as more schools become academies.

By 2020 three million apprentices. HMG will spend twice as much on apprentices compared to when Tories first came into office.

A new apprentice levy of 0.5 per cent levy will be introduced for employers. The levy will raise £3bn a year to fund three million apprenticeships.
  • Options

Well that's my BTL empire buggered

no-one ever got rich underestimating George.

you can't underestimate him enough.
    See my edit
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    chestnut said:

So what if I buy a house, move in to it and then move back home to my parents and rent it out?
  • Options

Compare how much those pensioners have paid into the system relative to their benefits, and then do the same for your 'scroungers'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015
    Not just buy to letters, anybody with a second home.

MPs not going to be pleased...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Bingo!! No police cuts....
  • Options
    BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM
  • Options

He's been at it for an hour now...

Like Brown his speeches are primarily of interest for what he didn't announce rather than what he did.
  • Options
    He's just shafted Andy Burnham big time. No cuts in police budgets
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    So where are the £12 billion savings in the welfare budget coming from if tax credits are not being cut?
  • Options

Osborne out now!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Big cheer for police budget real terms freeze
  • Options
    I'm trying to find a single measure in this autumn statement that I could call conservative.

Faced with improving finances, Osborne has decided to do exactly what his mentor Gordon Brown would do.
  • Options

Osborne out now!
    welcome :-)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015
    This is all sounding very Brown-ian. Reversal of cuts, sweeties, and still the deficit will be eliminated on the back of normal sounding growth. Doesn't add up.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

chestnut said:

So what if I buy a house, move in to it and then move back home to my parents and rent it out?
    Presumably similar to PPR in that you only get relief for the period of time you lived in it.
  • Options

This is all sounding very Brown-ian. No cuts, sweeties, and still the deficit will be eliminated on the back of normal sounding growth. Doesn't add up.

We just need No Labour Boom and Bust now
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    chestnut said:

Crocodile tears all round.
  • Options
    Chancellor sits down. I make that 65 minutes.
  • Options

Osborne out now!
    I shall view it as my contribution to being all in it together.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm happy with that right now - politically wise. Back office mergers is also very welcome. coppers need to get more efficient and far less parochial.
    Sandpit said:

Big cheer for police budget real terms freeze

• Options
    Second home owners/BTLers can go spin. If you want something that pays 6% a year, buy vodafone shares.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    chestnut said:

'He says there'll be a 3% increase in stamp duty for buy-to-let properties and second homes, effective from next year. Corporate property development won't be affected.'

Osborne doing his bit for his chums with giant property co's.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I'm trying to find a single measure in this autumn statement that I could call conservative.

Faced with improving finances, Osborne has decided to do exactly what his mentor Gordon Brown would do.

The Corbynite view is this proves Gordon Brown (and New Labour generally) was Tory-lite.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ''This is all sounding very Brown-ian. No cuts, sweeties, and still the deficit will be eliminated on the back of normal sounding growth. Doesn't add up.''

It won;t add up later in the parliament, when the public finances are seriously off course.

What a disaster this budget is, all for the career of one man!
  • Options
    20% leads coming up? The Tories must have judged that Corbyn is dug in well enough now.
  • Options
    Is McDonnell actually trying to attack Osborne for not reaching his deficit targets?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    A shame it's only 3%.
  • Options

Osborne out now!
    I shall view it as my contribution to being all in it together.
    were all in it together but some are more in it than others.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

I'm interested by your question 2. I'm not a social conservative so my instinct for this might be wrong but I guess that it would be almost impossible for Osborne, at this stage in his career, to win over someone of your persuasion? Would any offer he made not seem like obvious positioning for the leadership contest and be swiftly dismissed?
    (1) No, it's not impossible and (2) no, it depends.

I think the big ones would be his attitude to families, marriage, rural affairs, identity politics and, in particular, immigration. He has to tell a story that his conservatism is about more than just the money.

But, yes, if I smelt a rat and didn't believe him that would be a problem. It's up to him to convince the members.

PS. A very warm welcome to pb!
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/12014530/Autumn-Statement-2015-live.html#update-20151125-1333
    Nine old Victorian city centre prisons will be sold off to provide more housing. The government will spend £1billion on building new prisons that are fit for purpose. Holloway prison, the biggest jail for women in Western Europe, is among those that will be shut. The Chancellor said the women prisoners will be housed in "more humane" conditions.
  • Options

Well that's my BTL empire buggered. Osborne out

BTL took off when Brown destroyed pensions value.
  • Options

Is McDonnell actually trying to attack Osborne for not reaching his deficit targets?

It's a ludicrous position Labour have got themselves into. It's mostly Miliband's fault.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Resounding cheers on the Labour backbenches as John McDonnell takes to his feet?
  • Options
    He's ranting - I'm not sure what about TBH.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Is MAkkie talking about the deficit his party created?............ That deficit?
  • Options
    McDonnell being laughed at already, asking why the govt haven't eliminated the deficit yet!
  • Options
    Tim shipman has it in one

the OBR has given Osborne some more money and he has spent it. Never mind giving hard working people their cash back.

He has reverted to his Brownian instincts and blown an enormous opportunity.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Thankfully R4 have cut him short.
This discussion has been closed.