Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Generally on days like this George Osborne improves his Bet

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    perdix said:

SeanT said:

Massive over-reaction and mucho gusset-wetting from rightwing Tories on here. I like to see poor people thrown on to the dismal streets of the north as much as the next rightwinger, but there's a time and a place.

The Tories only have a small majority. And right now global security is probably more important than arsing about with tax margins, anyway, hence the sensible moves on bombs and cops.

Meanwhile the state slowly shrinks, and the civil service is at its smallest since 1945.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/19/how-the-uk-civil-service-has-changed-in-10-charts

Keep calm and carry on drinking the champagne.

Or we could get a Government capable of managing more than one project at a time.
    ".... a government capable of managing more than one project at a time". Which one would that be? Surely not one with ukip!

UKIP can't manage more than one MP at a time! :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

If you want to know about one tax rise, the government has delayed two rises in auto-enrolment contributions to pension schemes, each being delayed by six months from what's currently provided for. By doing this, the amount of money going into pension schemes will be lower and so the tax to be foregone on those contributions will also be lower. That should save the thick end of £1 billion.

There will be other such wheezes.

One of those areas where PAYEers are ahead of self employed (Company matching contributions into the pot). Of course MPs, baby boomers and selected public servants are in the equivalent of the big 6 of the Premier League when it comes to this with their final salary DB schemes.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Artist said:

Carswell calls it a Blairite budget on the BBC.

Well. that could be an insult or a pat on the back. Very much depends on what era Blair budget.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited November 2015

Huzzah for immigration, damned silly of Dave to try and cut them to tens of thousands, glad he failed on that score.

@krishgm: OBR says growth higher thanks to slower cuts and higher net migration.

The fixation with GDP is really quite bizarre. If one increases the size of the population then the economy will obviously be bigger. However, that says nothing about the wealth of people in the country - it is entirely possible to have a larger GDP but a poorer population.
  • Options
    OGH namechecked in the chamber!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

https://www.rt.com/news/323431-saved-pilot-turkish-su24/

Surviving Russian pilot flatly denies Turkey incursion. They did seem to take a while before interviewing him though - on balance this is what I would expect him to say, and I still think they may have nipped into Turkish airspace. Which of course wouldn't make Turkey's pre-meditated actions justifiable.

And neither does it make Russia's actions in encroaching into Tirkish airspace again with a warplane entering from a warzone.

It's quite simple. How do you think Russia would react if a plane had encroached their airspace for a similar reason?

If you want to look at premeditation, the answer's Russia. They knew this would happen, and appear to have done f'all to avoid it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    If only Osborne had quoted from Mein Kampf...

Does McDonnell have any idea how many died thanks to Mao? So Corbyn tries to raise human rights with Chinese President, his mate John is happy to cite a murderous tyrant.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    philiph said:

Artist said:

Well. that could be an insult or a pat on the back. Very much depends on what era Blair budget.

Quite. Weren't the first couple of Blair budgets Continuity-Clarke anyway?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited November 2015

Huzzah for immigration, damned silly of Dave to try and cut them to tens of thousands, glad he failed on that score.

@krishgm: OBR says growth higher thanks to slower cuts and higher net migration.

The fixation with GDP is really quite bizarre. If one increases the size of the population then the economy will obviously be bigger. However, that says nothing about the wealth of people in the country - it is entirely possible to have a larger GDP but a poorer population.
    Well put sir.

Love to see people like Mr eagles live where Iive and say things have got better with cheap immigration over the last 4 to 5 years.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    By carpet bombing potholes - they're going to cause LD meltdown, of course! A tarmac based divide and conquer strategy.
    Tim_B said:

Well that's the LDs buggered :wink:

In case you missed it during the Chancellor's speech, Osborne announced a permanent pothole fund.
    They are going to fund permanent potholes?

• Options

Awesome - any idea who did the deed..?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Student loans for part-time, FE, post grads.

or we could just stop pissing away money on foreign aid and pay their fees instead.
    TBF there have been some interesting changes in foreign aid.

For instance they have proposed an increase in funding for the World Service, paid for by DfID. Refocusing on to nation building and addressing issues that create strategic threats to the UK with a pivot towards MENA as a top priority.

If you look at it in those terms rather than "charity" it's really an extension of our national strategic interests in a different form
    I think this is a fair point and it is an important area of spending, even if any benefits are not immediately apparent. We need to use aid for humanitarian purposes, but we also absolutely must do all we can to do our part in bringing sense and stability to the world and extend as you say our strategic interests. If we let the world go to hell in a handcart then we will have to pay in blood.
    We are a capitalist trading nation. Its in our interests to promote a healthy democratic world in as much like our image as possible.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Buried in documents: Labour party funding in Parliament slashed. https://t.co/eLMGFy1l36
  • Options

By whom?? :)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Buried in documents: Labour party funding in Parliament slashed. https://t.co/eLMGFy1l36

A welcome first step
  • Options

Awesome - any idea who did the deed..?
    Alex Salmond. He basically quoted the thesis of this thread: buy Osborne before the speech, sell him before it unravels.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Fenster said:

taffys said:

I don't understand your logic.

My logic is that those forecast assumptions are based on new austerity measures and decreased government spending over the next few years

Can you see any austerity measures in what osborne has announced??? can you see belt tightening anywhere??? all I see is extra spending.

In 2010 the Tories (in the midst of economic argmageddon) probably thought they'd get one term.

In May 2015 they were delighted to get a majority, and likely were relieved to get one extra term to balance the deficit.

Now, in November 2015, with Labour such a laughable shambles (and I use no hyperbole here - they, sadly, are), Osborne can see a real, real chance of being PM in 2020 and having another five years.

Plenty of time to balance the budget then.

Not particularly great economics, but very good politics which will personally boost his Osbo-for-PM chances. Plus the £27billion financial prize helped him get lucky.

Osborne must be loving life.
    That looks a very sane assessment.

So can't possibly be right....
  • Options

Surviving Russian pilot flatly denies Turkey incursion. They did seem to take a while before interviewing him though - on balance this is what I would expect him to say, and I still think they may have nipped into Turkish airspace. Which of course wouldn't make Turkey's pre-meditated actions justifiable.

And neither does it make Russia's actions in encroaching into Tirkish airspace again with a warplane entering from a warzone.

It's quite simple. How do you think Russia would react if a plane had encroached their airspace for a similar reason?

If you want to look at premeditation, the answer's Russia. They knew this would happen, and appear to have done f'all to avoid it.
    But they were only in Turkish airspace for less then 60 seconds.
  • Options
    Artist said:

IMHO - he's right.
  • Options
    19% "in line with other non-protected budgets"

:lol:
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2015
    Some on the BBC clearly fearful of the idea of devolved responsibility and having to generate revenue in their areas.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ahem. As noted here at 1.59pm. Glad the journos got there in the end.
  • Options

Artist said:

IMHO - he's right.
    I'm not sure what that means, TBH. Other than UKIP wanting to spend more on welfare, what else does UKIP want to do differently?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Head of Turkey's National Intelligence Organisation gives his views on ISIS:

“ISIS is a reality and we have to accept that we cannot eradicate a well-organized and popular establishment such as the Islamic State; therefore I urge my western colleagues to revise their mindset about Islamic political currents, put aside their cynical mentalité and thwart Vladimir Putin's plans to crush Syrian Islamist revolutionaries,” - Anadolu News Agency quoted Mr. Fidan as saying on Sunday.

http://fortruss.blogspot.co.id/2015/11/turkish-intelligence-chief-isis-is.html

No further comment needed.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Relax.

Osborne WNBLOTCPOPM.

He is a technocrat and, as far as the public can see, a rather humourless one at that. We prefer to have our Prime Ministers with a bit more of the human touch.

GO fails the want to go for a beer with him test. Boris, meanwhile, passes too easily; people want a PM not a bessie mate.

May? No, a cold fish. Hammond? Unsensational. Gove? Ugly (sorry). Sajid? Could be, he is mediocre, though. So that leaves Ruth (with, ahem, a parliamentary seat) or Jeremy more likely if he wins noticeably vs junior doctors.

That said, I might have to beg Cam to stay.

Winning against the doctors might harm rather than help Jeremy Hunt. Most quacks (and their families) are natural Tories. Hunt needs to learn from Gove's mistakes and stop alienating professionals who started out on his side. Doubtless Hunt genuinely wants to improve healthcare, and so do the doctors: it ought to be a match made in heaven.
    The teachers started out on Gove's side?
    Yes. More teachers voted Conservative than Labour in 2010.
    More left wingers voted Tory than Labour in 2010, Brown was a danger to all.
  • Options
    Sky full of grateful voters on tax credits. Damian *spit* McBride approved - and so did their other talking head on the numbers.
    chestnut said:

Some on the BBC clearly fearful of the idea of devolved responsibility and having to generate revenue in their areas.

• Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    re limiting tax credit to 2 children, laura Kuessenberg tweeted this
    Some tax credit changes WILL still go ahead -limiting child element in Tax Cred + Universal Credit to 2 kids from April 2017
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

Should Greece have shot down all of the 1000+ Turkish planes that made similar border incursions (not that it is confirmed that this happened) on its territory in January of this year alone?
  • Options
    Fair play .John McDonnell is pure Comedy Gold. I knew Labour were planning a Long March as Mao did. But there will be millions of laughs on the way. What next? A cultural revolution perhaps. Or Red Guards in Islington?
  • Options

Failure to cut immigration is the biggest strategic risk to Conservative dominance IMHO.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    And abolishing Family Element of Tax Credits....
    (worth 545 pounds per annum)
    -this will be for new applicants obviosuly
  • Options
    Turkey being put onto Russia's no go list will hit them massively economically hard. It's the equivalent of a tourist ban for Brits to Spain.
  • Options

Neither side is whiter-than-white here. Turkey may have had the legal right to protect itself against incursion but at the same time, wars have begun over less. Whether or not Turkey was technically in the right, I for one wouldn't back them in a war with Russia over that as a casus belli, NATO member or not.
  • Options
    I thought I was seeing things when McIRA did that. What WAS he thinking?

George looked so WTF WTF WTF - a platinum coated gift.
    dyingswan said:

Fair play .John McDonnell is pure Comedy Gold. I knew Labour were planning a Long March as Mao did. But there will be millions of laughs on the way. What next? A cultural revolution perhaps. Or Red Guards in Islington?

• Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Just finished Fallout 4's main quest line. Won't spoil it, but a substantial improvement over 3, or Skyrim.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Just finished Fallout 4's main quest line. Won't spoil it, but a substantial improvement over 3, or Skyrim.

I honestly haven't a clue what you're talking about. And I'm not a high court judge, but well yes I am a pensioner.
  • Options
    With all the tax stuff, seems that George has passed the rugby ball over to a man who won't care if his ideas are unpopular as he has a belief they are the right thing to do:

Ian Duncan Smith.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

With all the tax stuff, seems that George has passed the rugby ball over to a man who won't care if his ideas are unpopular as he has a belief they are the right thing to do:

Ian Duncan Smith.

"The Quiet Man has spoken and he's PUMPING UP the volume!"
  • Options

Failure to cut immigration is the biggest strategic risk to Conservative dominance IMHO.
    More demand for housing too, making double home ownership less economical is one part of this; as is increasing supply (building more of the buggers)... but immigration, particularly of higher birthrate nationalities is a long term increase on demand too.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Goodness, I thought even PBTories had learned not to swallow Osborne's spin after the farce of the Budget ("low-paid workers are getting a pay rise!" IFS: "actually they're getting a massive pay cut"), but it seems not.

Cuts to local government grants will inevitably impact on police, the health service and the like. He's not "protected" anything.
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, Fallout 4 is a video game. In it, you can do whatever you like, whether those are side quests, or focusing on the central plot. I finished the main quest line, which finishes off the plot.

And pensioners can play videogames. The 18 age limit on the cover is a floor, not a ceiling. :p
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Neither side is whiter-than-white here. Turkey may have had the legal right to protect itself against incursion but at the same time, wars have begun over less. Whether or not Turkey was technically in the right, I for one wouldn't back them in a war with Russia over that as a casus belli, NATO member or not.
    A good comment from a pilot on the PPRuNe military forum, explaining the Realpolitik of flying in a war zone.
    http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/571040-turkish-f16-shoots-down-unidentified-aircraft-their-airspace-8.html#post9191413
    Anybody who has been military aircrew knows that this is part of the game.

You fly over somebody else's territory, no matter how briefly, you get in the poo (friendly nation) or risk getting shot down (unfriendly nation)

The Russians have done it, the Americans have done it, the Turks have done it, The Syrians have done it, the Greeks have done it, the Isrealis have done it, and I'm sure we have done it.

I have no doubt that in Russian military headquarters there are some pragmatic conversations going on about it.

It is part of the game. Pushing limits to see who is weak and who has a pair. It may seem childish, but the reality of international geopolitics generally is.

In the last few years, the Syrians have shot down a Turk. The Turks have shot down Syrians. It is a hot war zone.

We all know.
    You don't cross the line, and if you do, then beware.

p.s. The whole "which side of the line were they when hit?" discussion is just cr@p. What do you think this is? Tag in the playground?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    According to Betfair, there is 38% chance that "Leave" will win the Euro referendum.

Presumably Cameron would resign soon afterwards rather than hang around to sort out the mess.

The person who would gain would be Boris. His only chance of getting the top job is for the Leave side to win the referendum under his leadership. That is why I'm convinced he will lead the OUT campaign. It is his only chance of getting the top jop he craves for.

But according to Betfair, Boris has only a 17% chance of succeeding Cameron.

Surely his chances are higher than that (if you believe the 38% chance of OUT) and Osborne's chance is correspondingly lower than his current 32%.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Seema Malhotra sent out instead of John McDonnell. He's not just an idiot he's a coward as well.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Goodness, I thought even PBTories had learned not to swallow Osborne's spin after the farce of the Budget ("low-paid workers are getting a pay rise!" IFS: "actually they're getting a massive pay cut"), but it seems not.

You seem slightly confused.

Tax credits are not pay. They are welfare payments.
  • Options

First off, shooting down a plane that is intruding illegally over your air space is not a cause of war. The Russians shot down Gary Powers. It did not start a war.
    Second off, we too intercept Russian planes and if one of them refused to leave and entered our air space I hope we would shoot it down.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

McDonnell quoting Mao does seem like an own goal. We'd associate him with it, and now we learn he has it for bed time reading. Daytime will be Karl Marx, I expect.
  • Options
    @KateVotesLabour: .@rholman98 I just called campaign teams in Oldham West to give them the news. No-one in Labour is laughing.
  • Options

Artist said:

IMHO - he's right.
    I'm not sure what that means, TBH. Other than UKIP wanting to spend more on welfare, what else does UKIP want to do differently?
    I'm not really that interested in UKIP.

What I see is a spending budget, no tax cuts, highly politically tactical and calculated for maximum positioning advantage relying on optimistic economic growth forecasts.

I'm not sure what Osborne is about, other than socking it to Labour and winning himself. This is very different to what he professes to want to do 12 months ago.

The only real difference is that (unlike Brown) it aims to ultimately eliminate the deficit. That's an important (sane) difference but it's not exactly got me cheering Osborne to the rafters.
  • Options
    It is interesting that the tax credit reverse now makes it look like all the low paid are winners under a Tory government.

Those on working welfare, and those who are not.

Labour needs these voters to be losers under the Tories.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Video is in here, plus
    To jeers from the Tories including 'bring back Ed Balls, he said: 'To assist Comrade Osborne about dealing with his new found comrades, I have brought him along Mao's Little Red Book'....

Tory MPs roared 'more, more, more' at Mr McDonnell as he then tossed his copy at Mr Osborne and David Cameron who were in fits of giggles. Speaker John Bercow was forced to intervene over howls of delight from the Tory benches and said: 'I want to hear what's in the book'.

The Chancellor then picked it up from the table at the centre of the Commons and said: 'So the shadow chancellor literally stood at the Despatch Box and read out from Mao's Little Red Book.' Opening the book, he went on: 'Oh look! It's his personal signed copy. The problem is half the shadow cabinet have been sent off to re-education.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3333601/Incredible-moment-John-McDonnell-Chairman-Mao-s-Little-Red-Book-pocket-quoted-dictator-starved-millions-death-economic-theory.html#ixzz3sW9TfDii
    CD13 said:

McDonnell quoting Mao does seem like an own goal. We'd associate him with it, and now we learn he has it for bed time reading. Daytime will be Karl Marx, I expect.

• Options

Well put sir.

Love to see people like Mr eagles live where Iive and say things have got better with cheap immigration over the last 4 to 5 years.
    GDP per capita is growing.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It is interesting that the tax credit reverse now makes it look like all the low paid are winners under a Tory government.

You do realise many of the people who were going to be hit by tax credit cuts, are now going to be hit by housing benefit cuts, right?
  • Options
    Lol Just seen the Mao vine on twitter.

I thought you lot were making it all up !!
  • Options
    We seem to have another u-turn taking place today:

Jeremy HuntVerified account ‏@Jeremy_Hunt ·
    We want to solve #juniorcontract through talks. Happy to start with ACAS 2 help avert strike & keep patients safe:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-secretary-writes-to-dr-mark-porter-chair-of-the-bma

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Oh well, it looks like Osborne can enjoy the next 24 hours or so, before the IFS comes along tomorrow to point out that, despite the spin, there are still going to be huge cuts and direct hits on the "strivers"' pockets. A re-run of July. Plus ca change
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

You do realise many of the people who were going to be hit by tax credit cuts, are now going to be hit by housing benefit cuts, right?
    Terrible day to be a BTL landlord, I know.
  • Options
    Was today the wrong day to give up LSD?
    Pulpstar said:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Chuka's not a fan.

Labour MP Chuka Umunna has responded to John McDonnell's decision to brandish Chairman Mao's "little red book". He says he's "not sure what the Shadow Chancellor was up to.
    I’m not sure. I mean the last politicians that I quoted, who have inspired me are Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, Kier Hardie – they’re the ones I tend to quote. But that’s my choice; I haven't quoted a communist before and I have no intention of doing so in the future.
    - See more at: https://www.politicshome.com/economy-and-work/articles/story/live-autumn-statement-and-spending-review#sthash.2R0FAzMg.dpuf
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Chuka's not a fan.

Labour MP Chuka Umunna has responded to John McDonnell's decision to brandish Chairman Mao's "little red book". He says he's "not sure what the Shadow Chancellor was up to.
    I’m not sure. I mean the last politicians that I quoted, who have inspired me are Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, Kier Hardie – they’re the ones I tend to quote. But that’s my choice; I haven't quoted a communist before and I have no intention of doing so in the future.
    - See more at: https://www.politicshome.com/economy-and-work/articles/story/live-autumn-statement-and-spending-review#sthash.2R0FAzMg.dpuf

LMAO -- much as he has a point about the idiocy of quoting Mao, he then goes onto make himself look even more of a tit than McDonnell with who he likens himself to.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    LOL 7/8 for me.
    Autumn Statement 2015: Who said it - Labour shadow chancellor John McDonnell, or Chairman Mao?

Test your knowledge of left-wing politics by matching the quotes to the person http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/12016398/Autumn-Statement-2015-Who-said-it-Labour-shadow-chancellor-John-McDonnell-or-Chairman-Mao.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Artist said:

IMHO - he's right.

What I see is a spending budget, no tax cuts, highly politically tactical and calculated for maximum positioning advantage relying on optimistic economic growth forecasts.

I'm not sure what Osborne is about, other than socking it to Labour and winning himself. This is very different to what he professes to want to do 12 months ago.

The only real difference is that (unlike Brown) it aims to ultimately eliminate the deficit. That's an important (sane) difference but it's not exactly got me cheering Osborne to the rafters.
    I'd like to echo this. The UK has a twin deficit problem: both a fiscal deficit and a current account one.

Today's Autumn Statement will do little to erase either of these problems - in fact it'll make the fiscal deficit worse.

The US has largely eliminated its primary budget deficit. Italy, Spain, and Ireland all run primary budget surpluses now.

We are the ones heading in the wrong direction - and I speak as someone who has been very supportive to GO and this government historically.

Over-borrowing always ends up badly. Of course, we're not in the Eurozone, so our problems won't be as severe as those faced by the Greeks and Portuegese. Nevertheless, excessive borrowing will likely end - as it has done so many times in the past - in inflation and high interest rates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Artist said:

IMHO - he's right.

I'd like to echo this. The UK has a twin deficit problem: both a fiscal deficit and a current account one.

Today's Autumn Statement will do little to erase either of these problems - in fact it'll make the fiscal deficit worse.

The US has largely eliminated its primary budget deficit. Italy, Spain, and Ireland all run primary budget surpluses now.

We are the ones heading in the wrong direction - and I speak as someone who has been very supportive to GO and this government historically.

Over-borrowing always ends up badly. Of course, we're not in the Eurozone, so our problems won't be as severe as those faced by the Greeks and Portuegese. Nevertheless, excessive borrowing will likely end - as it has done so many times in the past - in inflation and high interest rates.
    Will it make the currency weaken a touch ? 1.43 is not good for us exporters :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

and sniffing glue.
  • Options
    To be fair to John McDonnell, how was he supposed to know that when people like Chris Leslie and Yvette Cooper told him he must be sure to check the red book when responding to a budget, they didn't mean that red book?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Video is in here, plus

To jeers from the Tories including 'bring back Ed Balls, he said: 'To assist Comrade Osborne about dealing with his new found comrades, I have brought him along Mao's Little Red Book'....

Tory MPs roared 'more, more, more' at Mr McDonnell as he then tossed his copy at Mr Osborne and David Cameron who were in fits of giggles. Speaker John Bercow was forced to intervene over howls of delight from the Tory benches and said: 'I want to hear what's in the book'.

The Chancellor then picked it up from the table at the centre of the Commons and said: 'So the shadow chancellor literally stood at the Despatch Box and read out from Mao's Little Red Book.' Opening the book, he went on: 'Oh look! It's his personal signed copy. The problem is half the shadow cabinet have been sent off to re-education.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3333601/Incredible-moment-John-McDonnell-Chairman-Mao-s-Little-Red-Book-pocket-quoted-dictator-starved-millions-death-economic-theory.html#ixzz3sW9TfDii
    CD13 said:

who's the bloke in shot on Lab front bench behind McDonnell who looks absolutely mortified?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

dr_spyn said:

Chuka's not a fan.

LMAO
    Labour Mao?

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

First off, shooting down a plane that is intruding illegally over your air space is not a cause of war.

The USSR shot down a Korean 747 in 1983, killing about 260 people, and forced down a Korean 707 in 1978, no war resulted from those incidents.
  • Options

To be fair to John McDonnell, how was he supposed to know that when people like Chris Leslie and Yvette Cooper told him he must be sure to check the red book when responding to a budget, they didn't mean that red book?

Will McDonnell be tipped overboard by Comrade Corbyn as a sop to the PLP between now and 2020 ?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Flightpath, Fallout 4 is a video game. In it, you can do whatever you like, whether those are side quests, or focusing on the central plot. I finished the main quest line, which finishes off the plot.

And pensioners can play videogames. The 18 age limit on the cover is a floor, not a ceiling. :p

Pensioners most certainly can and do play video games and have lots of fun in doing so (especially when playing multiplayer against youngsters when age and cunning cannot be bested by youthful energy).

Just out of interest Mr. D. how many hours did you put into Fallout4 before you finished the main quest?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Housing benefit for new social tenants to be capped at same level as private sector
    Are we saying that state provided council/housing association houses are more expensive than the private option?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Housing benefit for new social tenants to be capped at same level as private sector
    Are we saying that state provided council/housing association houses are more expensive than the private option?

I'm not even referring to that: Osborne said the £12bn of additional welfare cuts are mostly going to come from new housing benefit cuts (the exact cuts are yet to be specified). That will INEVITABLY hit low-paid workers (especially in London), since unemployed HB-claimants were already squeezed in the last parliament. Most people who were going to lose out from tax credit cuts will now just lose out through HB cuts instead.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2015
    It's pretty obvious that only advertisers are working today....

So an idea for George.....

Get the feckless lazy Tory posters who are either on the dole fiddling their employers or setting a bad example to their employees or are so crap at their jobs that they have no customers to stop this cheer-leading and get off their backsides and start producing.....
  • Options
    https://www.rt.com/uk/323438-mcdonnell-mao-red-book/

"Although a memorable break with Parliamentary convention, McDonnell’s cultural revolution is unlikely to help Labour’s five year plan of re-election."

Russia Today mocks comrade McDonnell. RUSSIA TODAY
  • Options
    glw said:

First off, shooting down a plane that is intruding illegally over your air space is not a cause of war.

The USSR shot down a Korean 747 in 1983, killing about 260 people, and forced down a Korean 707 in 1978, no war resulted from those incidents.
    The USA shot down an Iran Air Airbus in 1988, killing about 290 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Pulpstar said:

and sniffing glue.
    Surely he couldn't be serious.
    Watch out for McDonnell at Heathrow trying to sell you a copy of his book.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Will McDonnell be tipped overboard by Comrade Corbyn as a sop to the PLP between now and 2020 ?
    Funny you should say that: when I was about 14 I won the school balloon debate (against strong competition from the Head of House, who later became a distinguished judge) in the character of Chairman Mao. My principal argument was to quote from the Little Red Book to demonstrate that the school was a bastion of true revolutionary purity, and that for their own good the audience should toss the counter-revolutionary running-dogs out of the balloon.
  • Options
    I'm still rubbing my eyes, in what universe did he think this was a big, smart and clever idea? :open_mouth:
    Pulpstar said:

"Although a memorable break with Parliamentary convention, McDonnell’s cultural revolution is unlikely to help Labour’s five year plan of re-election."

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015
    eek said:

There shouldn't even be VAT on tampons in the first place. It's hardly a luxury item.

Nor are pants, lightbulbs or loo paper. VAT is not meant to be a tax on luxury items.
    Problem is EU rules state that once an item is deemed VATable you cannot remove it from VAT...
    One trip to any wholesaler or a CostCo will reveal what a complete shambles VAT is. There is absolutely no logic to what is VATable and what isn't.

Jar of mixed nuts, no VAT, same jar of nuts with a handful of M&M's, VATable...and cheaper to buy small bag of M&Ms separately and add to mixed jar yourself.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FPT

I walked the length of the upcoming tram route from Birmingham New Street to Snow Hill and back this morning. Wires already in place. Bull Street tram stop seems to be the most advanced, Corporation Street lacks a completed southbound platform, and New Street tram platforms need to be completed. Scheduled for December 6th opened - may just be do-able!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Get the feckless lazy Tory posters who are either on the dole fiddling their employers or setting a bad example to their employees or are so crap at their jobs that they have no customers to stop this cheer-leading and get off their backsides and start producing.....

Cultural Revolution is all the rage today; but not for the reasons McDonnell expected.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I'm still rubbing my eyes, in what universe did he think this was a big, smart and clever idea? :open_mouth:

Pulpstar said:

Well, when I had my copy of the Little Red Book, as a 13 year old school boy, it was a big smart clever idea in that universe. But it was about 1967.

Since about 1968 it has been a bad idea.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Is I recall the Russians did shoot down a U2 for an incursion into their airspace.

Incidentally when did one military aircraft last shoot down another in the air? I recall that the RAF last did in 1945. Perhaps the Israelis in the Yom Kippur war?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    John McDonnell has jumped the shark. How was that even possible?
  • Options
    The list of the top ten most bizarre political stunts has been rewritten today. It's been a busy year for it, all things considering.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    edited November 2015

The Russians are are operating legally in a country at the request of the legitimate country. It was quite clearly a premeditated ambush and that if the Russian plane ever did cross into Turkish territory it was for 1 or 2 seconds as the US said that they did, which is the Americans politely saying it didn't. The reality is that if planes were shot down every time they entered another nation's airspace wars would be starting all over the place.

This an appalling and very serious incident carried out by a country ruled over by an increasingly unstable and dangerous leadership that we are for some reason to be allied with. Thankfully the provocation seems to have failed with member states of NATO distancing themselves, the Russians have accelerated their bombing of illegal Turkish jihadist proxies operating in Syria and the economic sanctions are now being implemented. Let us hope the Turks continue on their current path.

The only good thing about this is it flushes out the loons, of which this forum seems to carry an oddly large number of.
  • Options
    Mr McDonnell’s actions today was just bizarre, what did he hope to achieve?

As an aside, was it a bad video recording or does he always have that nasal whine when he speaks?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015
    Wanderer said:

John McDonnell has jumped the shark. How was that even possible?

Just when you think Labour top team can't get any worse....They are making student "politicians" look good.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Houseboats, airships, Jaffa Cakes, baked Alaska, helicopters... vs tampons, radiators and maternity pads...

eek said:

There shouldn't even be VAT on tampons in the first place. It's hardly a luxury item.

Nor are pants, lightbulbs or loo paper. VAT is not meant to be a tax on luxury items.
    Problem is EU rules state that once an item is deemed VATable you cannot remove it from VAT...
    One trip to any wholesaler or a CostCo will reveal what a complete shambles VAT is. There is absolutely no logic to what is VATable and what isn't.

Jar of mixed nuts, no VAT, same jar of nuts with a handful of M&M's, VATable...and cheaper to buy small bag of M&Ms separately and add to mixed jar yourself.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, 40-50.

Although I focused heavily on the main quest in the last few days, I did a substantial number of side quests as well.
  • Options
    Lawson on Sky happy with Osborne today.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Is I recall the Russians did shoot down a U2 for an incursion into their airspace.

Incidentally when did one military aircraft last shoot down another in the air? I recall that the RAF last did in 1945. Perhaps the Israelis in the Yom Kippur war?
    I've a feeling that an RAF crew managed to shoot either themselves or another friendly aircraft down in Germany, with an errant missile.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited November 2015

Sea Harriers must have made some AA kills in 1982?

EDIT how about the 1991 Gulf War?
    Bosnia 1995?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    So pb tories, what was Osborne's aim today:

Balance the economy.
    Position himself for leader.
    Upset labour.
    All of the above.

And how did he do?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Pulpstar said:

Jezza's shoulders were shaking (with laughter and approval, I assume) as John gave his reading.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Roger said:

... says Roger from the bar at Soho House.
  • Options

Pensioners most certainly can and do play video games and have lots of fun in doing so (especially when playing multiplayer against youngsters when age and cunning cannot be bested by youthful energy).

Just out of interest Mr. D. how many hours did you put into Fallout4 before you finished the main quest?
    playing Fallout 4 here. Playing with Piper as my companion. she likes my lock-picking awsomeness.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Mr McDonnell’s actions today was just bizarre, what did he hope to achieve?

As an aside, was it a bad video recording or does he always have that nasal whine when he speaks?

Who knows? No-one has ever listened to him in the past to bother to notice
  • Options
    L MAO
  • Options
    Student loan threshold repayment being kept at £21,000. I assume that'll cost me about £2 a month or so.
This discussion has been closed.