Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Generally on days like this George Osborne improves his Bet

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Artist said:

Carswell calls it a Blairite budget on the BBC.

IMHO - he's right.
    I'm not sure what that means, TBH. Other than UKIP wanting to spend more on welfare, what else does UKIP want to do differently?
    I'm not really that interested in UKIP.

What I see is a spending budget, no tax cuts, highly politically tactical and calculated for maximum positioning advantage relying on optimistic economic growth forecasts.

I'm not sure what Osborne is about, other than socking it to Labour and winning himself. This is very different to what he professes to want to do 12 months ago.

The only real difference is that (unlike Brown) it aims to ultimately eliminate the deficit. That's an important (sane) difference but it's not exactly got me cheering Osborne to the rafters.
    I'd like to echo this. The UK has a twin deficit problem: both a fiscal deficit and a current account one.

Today's Autumn Statement will do little to erase either of these problems - in fact it'll make the fiscal deficit worse.

The US has largely eliminated its primary budget deficit. Italy, Spain, and Ireland all run primary budget surpluses now.

We are the ones heading in the wrong direction - and I speak as someone who has been very supportive to GO and this government historically.

Over-borrowing always ends up badly. Of course, we're not in the Eurozone, so our problems won't be as severe as those faced by the Greeks and Portuegese. Nevertheless, excessive borrowing will likely end - as it has done so many times in the past - in inflation and high interest rates.
    Will it make the currency weaken a touch ? 1.43 is not good for us exporters :)
    Full respect to, Mr. Star, but perhaps the exporters ought to be looking at how Germany, in the days of the DMark, managed to build a very successful export led economy whilst their government ran a sound money policy which led to the DMark being one of the strongest currencies on the planet.

If Germany could do it then so should we be able to. The CBI should be told to feck off and their members told to earn their huge salaries rather than complaining and making excuses.

These days in my more militant moods I am very attracted to the idea of very high tax rates (say 98%) on remuneration packages above £250k for anyone who is not a genuine owner/director. Even when I am feeling very mellow I struggle to see why anyone should be paid more than 20 times the median salary of employees in the same organisation and why anyone, save the PM and very senior ministers, in the public sector should ever be paid more than about £150k.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The freezing of the threshold means over 2 million graduates will end up paying £306 more each year by 2020-21 than they would have done without the change.
    Pulpstar said:

Student loan threshold repayment being kept at £21,000. I assume that'll cost me about £2 a month or so.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2015

We seem to have another u-turn taking place today:

Jeremy HuntVerified account ‏@Jeremy_Hunt ·
    We want to solve #juniorcontract through talks. Happy to start with ACAS 2 help avert strike & keep patients safe:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-secretary-writes-to-dr-mark-porter-chair-of-the-bma

About time too. Once there has been one walkout then others will happen at a much lower threshold.

Why couldn't Hunt just have saved a lot of hassle by agreeing last Friday when the BMA proposed it, rather than 5 days before the strike?
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Am I right in thinking that the Lords voting down the tax credits SI is no longer a constitutional crisis but a useful intervention by an amending chamber to get a Government to stop and think about doing an unpopular thing that wasn't in their manifesto?
  • Options

https://www.rt.com/news/323431-saved-pilot-turkish-su24/

Surviving Russian pilot flatly denies Turkey incursion. They did seem to take a while before interviewing him though - on balance this is what I would expect him to say, and I still think they may have nipped into Turkish airspace. Which of course wouldn't make Turkey's pre-meditated actions justifiable.

And neither does it make Russia's actions in encroaching into Tirkish airspace again with a warplane entering from a warzone.

It's quite simple. How do you think Russia would react if a plane had encroached their airspace for a similar reason?

If you want to look at premeditation, the answer's Russia. They knew this would happen, and appear to have done f'all to avoid it.
    Is I recall the Russians did shoot down a U2 for an incursion into their airspace.

Incidentally when did one military aircraft last shoot down another in the air? I recall that the RAF last did in 1945. Perhaps the Israelis in the Yom Kippur war?
    Americans, off the coast of Libya? (?Gulf of Sirte??)
    I'm guessing the Israelis have shot down planes over Syria since Yom Kippur.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, we all have blind spots to our own flaws. The problem is that the far left is on another planet. Labour would've been better off having the Soup Dragon respond to Osborne.

Mr. Slackbladder, Piper was my main companion too (prior to her I had Dogmeat, and then Preston). She's rather nice. Only gripe is that she keeps on going back to her 10mm pistol. Unsure if that would happen with other companions.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Scott_P said:

L MAO

LOL
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    GO definitely going for soft left approval: (In my twitter timeline next to one another)

Zac Goldsmith Verified account ‏@ZacGoldsmith 10m10 minutes ago

Doubling of Housing budget is great news for London & will be a key part of my plan to deliver low cost homes for Londoners. #SpendingReview
    7 retweets 5 likes

38 Degrees ‏@38_degrees 17m17 minutes ago

Tax Credit cuts SCRAPPED. This is a huge win for people power. #spendingreview
  • Options
    Osborne has nabbed McDonnell's Little Red Book - what a prop!
  • Options
    Mr. Tom, no.

In the same way the general overtly criticising Corbyn remains beyond the pale.

These conventions exist for a reason.
  • Options

Surviving Russian pilot flatly denies Turkey incursion. They did seem to take a while before interviewing him though - on balance this is what I would expect him to say, and I still think they may have nipped into Turkish airspace. Which of course wouldn't make Turkey's pre-meditated actions justifiable.

And neither does it make Russia's actions in encroaching into Tirkish airspace again with a warplane entering from a warzone.

It's quite simple. How do you think Russia would react if a plane had encroached their airspace for a similar reason?

If you want to look at premeditation, the answer's Russia. They knew this would happen, and appear to have done f'all to avoid it.
    Is I recall the Russians did shoot down a U2 for an incursion into their airspace.

Incidentally when did one military aircraft last shoot down another in the air? I recall that the RAF last did in 1945. Perhaps the Israelis in the Yom Kippur war?
    Sea Harriers must have made some AA kills in 1982?

EDIT how about the 1991 Gulf War?
    Bosnia 1995?
    Fleet Air Arm pilots flying Sea Harriers in 1982 was the last time a UK pilot shot down an enemy aircraft. The last time the RAF did it was 1945 (though RAF pilots flying on secondment to the USAAF and so in US aeroplanes did score kills in the Korean war).

The USA did score air to air kills in Gulf War 1, I can't remember off the top of my head whether that was by USAF pilots or USN or a combination of both.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited November 2015
    Reaction to what just happened on Twitter (and elsewhere)...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcgbmnMDYi1rjq40do1_500.jpg
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited November 2015

Bosnia 1995?
    Oh here's a complete list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post–World_War_II_air-to-air_combat_losses
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

L MAO

Labour Mao!
  • Options

We seem to have another u-turn taking place today:

Jeremy HuntVerified account ‏@Jeremy_Hunt ·
    We want to solve #juniorcontract through talks. Happy to start with ACAS 2 help avert strike & keep patients safe:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-secretary-writes-to-dr-mark-porter-chair-of-the-bma

About time too. Once there has been one walkout then others will happen at a much lower threshold.

Why couldn't Hunt just have saved a lot of hassle by agreeing last Friday when the BMA proposed it, rather than 5 days before the strike?
    Because it would have got more publicity then.

One hesitates to mention it but...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/11/16/why-jeremy-hunt-might-be-onto-a-loser-in-his-fight-with-the-doctors/
  • Options
    General Boles
    Even Ed Miliband never did anything as daft as what McDonnell just did #spendingreview https://t.co/mDDEYhu3Ld
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

As far as British forces go, surely it's the Fleet Air Arm that had the most recent air-to-air kills in the Falklands?

More recently I remember a Saudi F15 downing an Iraqi aircraft in the First Gulf War. But there must be a lot of more recent examples.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Tom said:

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

2020 is now in play if labour can get somebody decent.

That's a very very big IF there! If Corbyn goes who will the same selectorate vote to replace him, Diane..?
    If you look at the Yougov poll of preferences if Corbyn not leader, even among Corbynites its unlikely to be a leftist. Abbott is very unpopular in the party - see Mayoral selection. The question is whether we can get rid of the idiot.
    To be fair, McDonnell looked the bigger idiot today, with his Little Red Book...
    That really was a WTF moment.

Nothing like reminding the voters how far to the left they have swung.
  • Options
    WTF

Rowena Mason
    Labour aides stress McDonnell's Mao quote obviously a joke and all part of Commons theatrics. The book idea came out of group discussions
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,886

Neither side is whiter-than-white here. Turkey may have had the legal right to protect itself against incursion but at the same time, wars have begun over less. Whether or not Turkey was technically in the right, I for one wouldn't back them in a war with Russia over that as a casus belli, NATO member or not.
    I agree. But the Russians are also playing their own games here. If Erdogan was a more confident man he wouldn't have let it come to this. But Putin should have demanded his military not allow this such incursions happen again after the last time.

But both are playing their own domestic and international games. Both are fundamentally weak men despite their bravado, which is why they crack down so hard on the media in their countries.
  • Options
    I think if say ooh I don't know Peter Bone had got Mao's book out and quoted it everyone would realise it's a joke, as his politics are patently a lifetime away from Mao. But McDonnell is far too close to communism to get away with such a stunt.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2015
    Japan and Germany managed to export all over the world despite appreciating currencies for much of the post war period. Must be something to do with producing goods people wanted, in the right quantities and qualities of design, after sales service & reliability.

The CBI have been pushing for depreciation almost from day one, and appear to have learnt only excuses.

@HurstLlama

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

WTF

Rowena Mason
    Labour aides stress McDonnell's Mao quote obviously a joke and all part of Commons theatrics. The book idea came out of group discussions

The joys of group think...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Japan and Germany managed to export all over the world despite appreciating currencies for much of the post war period. Must be something to do with producing goods people wanted, in the right quantities and qualities of design, after sales service & reliability.

The CBI have been pushing for depreciation almost from day one, and appear to have learnt only excuses.

@Hurst_Llama

Japan is in a massive slump now though, and Germany has the € now though ;) I suspect German exporters weren't dispeased when they heard they were abandoning the Deutschmark :)
  • Options
    Deary me, the soft lefties on twitter are mocking McDonnell, and the hard lefties are accusing the soft lefties of being Tories. Al Murray is having to point out to the morons, that maybe Chairman Mao wasn't a great guy and no he wasn't just "badly advised".
  • Options

Should Greece have shot down all of the 1000+ Turkish planes that made similar border incursions (not that it is confirmed that this happened) on its territory in January of this year alone?
    The situation, as you well know, is very different. Those planes were not coming from an active warzone, were they?

But there are other differences: large parts of the Aegean sea are contested territory between Turkey and Greece, and Greece is hardly unknown of flying into Turkish areas as well.

It might be best if they both stopped.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The Russians shot down a U2 in 1960 and put pilot Francis Gary Powers on trial. He was eventually swapped for Rudolf Abel. The movie 'Bridge of Spies' covers some of this.

• Options

WTF

Rowena Mason

@MrHarryCole: were they high? https://t.co/UnbUSMjUJd
  • Options
    Women who have been raped can now pay for their own counselling through the tampon tax. Bravo, Osborne

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/women-in-abusive-relationships-can-now-pay-for-their-own-counselling-through-the-tampon-tax-bravo-a6748296.html

I am not really sure what to say. Who thought that headline for an article was sensible....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited November 2015
    Wanderer said:

As far as British forces go, surely it's the Fleet Air Arm that had the most recent air-to-air kills in the Falklands?

More recently I remember a Saudi F15 downing an Iraqi aircraft in the First Gulf War. But there must be a lot of more recent examples.
    Oh here's a complete list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post–World_War_II_air-to-air_combat_losses
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    LondonBob said:

Neither side is whiter-than-white here. Turkey may have had the legal right to protect itself against incursion but at the same time, wars have begun over less. Whether or not Turkey was technically in the right, I for one wouldn't back them in a war with Russia over that as a casus belli, NATO member or not.
    The Russians are are operating legally in a country at the request of the legitimate country. It was quite clearly a premeditated ambush and that if the Russian plane ever did cross into Turkish territory it was for 1 or 2 seconds as the US said that they did, which is the Americans politely saying it didn't. The reality is that if planes were shot down every time they entered another nation's airspace wars would be starting all over the place.

This an appalling and very serious incident carried out by a country ruled over by an increasingly unstable and dangerous leadership that we are for some reason to be allied with. Thankfully the provocation seems to have failed with member states of NATO distancing themselves, the Russians have accelerated their bombing of illegal Turkish jihadist proxies operating in Syria and the economic sanctions are now being implemented. Let us hope the Turks continue on their current path.

The only good thing about this is it flushes out the loons, of which this forum seems to carry an oddly large number of.
    I think you are incorrect about Turkish jihadis . They do not exist. The Russians were being arrogant and provocative in entering Turkish airspace so frequently. Having said that, Erdogan is a tyrant as much as Putin.

• Options
    @MichaelPDeacon: Brilliant. All future Tory broadcasts will contain genuine footage of John McDonnell holding the Little Red Book saying "Let's quote Mao"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What twaddle. George is positioning himself in the centre for career purposes and to win votes for the Tories.

20% leads coming up? The Tories must have judged that Corbyn is dug in well enough now.

Corbyn is successfully moving the Conservatives to the Left.
    It's not twaddle. This budget is one that shows a shift in Conservative thinking to the left from that of 12 months ago badged under 'one nation'.

Funnily enough, I see the objective of the Conservative Party as to advance the cause of Conservatism in this country. Not as a game of chess that aims to maximise the vote count for the blue team.

I appreciate others, including Osborne, may think differently.
    But if you do a calculation whereby there is a range 0 [Blair] to 100 [true Kipper] on the "conservative scale" and a percentage of time (between 0% and 100%) when the Conservatives will be in government

100 x 30% [time in government] = 30 < 50 x 70%

Logically the second outcome - Osborne's strategy - is better for the country if you believe in the Conservative ideal
  • Options

WTF

Rowena Mason

So did the Ed Stone - and that was no laughing matter...!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

WTF

Rowena Mason

@MrHarryCole: were they high? https://t.co/UnbUSMjUJd
    Group discussions...LOL...what from marxists tweeting in? This how taking questions from fruit cakes like former BNP activities is working out really well for Laurel and Hardy.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Women who have been raped can now pay for their own counselling through the tampon tax. Bravo, Osborne

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/women-in-abusive-relationships-can-now-pay-for-their-own-counselling-through-the-tampon-tax-bravo-a6748296.html

I am not really sure what to say. Who thought that headline for an article was sensible....

The Independent gave up having rational thoughts a long time ago.
  • Options
    I had written a thread for Sunday about the Edstone, and called it the worst political stunt of the year.

That piece is now going in the bin.
  • Options
    It seems to be Labour's go to excuse at the moment. How many times have they claimed peoples behaviour has not been nasty or bad, just a joke.
  • Options
    @ariehkovler: By the end of the day John McDonnell is going to have to condemn Mao or he's going to have to refuse to condemn Mao. Which will he choose?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2015

I had written a thread for Sunday about the Edstone, and called it the worst political stunt of the year.

First there was the Elvis impersonator....who thought that could be topped...We had to wait 5 years for the Ed Stone and we thought no, this has to be the tops of the tops for stupid political stunts, but they have managed it and managed it so soon after.
  • Options
    @janemerrick23: Frank Field on BBC News suggests John McDonnell has crossed a "very dangerous line" with his Mao stunt #SR2015
  • Options
    @charlotteahenry: RT for Mao, heart for Ed Stone https://t.co/fkTGSvIHuu
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@janemerrick23: Frank Field on BBC News suggests John McDonnell has crossed a "very dangerous line" with his Mao stunt #SR2015

Frank Field, just go and join the Tories ;-)
  • Options
    Theo Bertram
    This Red Book thing reminds me I once had to kill a Gloria Gaynor section in a major Gordon speech. Awful idea. But at least we killed it.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you have my sympathy. Perhaps you could scavenge parts of it as a comparison piece with McDonnell?
  • Options

First there was the Elvis impersonator....who thought that could be topped...We had to wait 5 years for the Ed Stone and we thought no, this has to be the tops of the tops for stupid political stunts, but they have managed it and managed it so soon after.
    Don’t see Harriet wearing her ‘this is what a slave-trade T-Shirt looks like’ very often…!
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

The Russians are are operating legally in a country at the request of the legitimate country. It was quite clearly a premeditated ambush and that if the Russian plane ever did cross into Turkish territory it was for 1 or 2 seconds as the US said that they did, which is the Americans politely saying it didn't. The reality is that if planes were shot down every time they entered another nation's airspace wars would be starting all over the place.

This an appalling and very serious incident carried out by a country ruled over by an increasingly unstable and dangerous leadership that we are for some reason to be allied with. Thankfully the provocation seems to have failed with member states of NATO distancing themselves, the Russians have accelerated their bombing of illegal Turkish jihadist proxies operating in Syria and the economic sanctions are now being implemented. Let us hope the Turks continue on their current path.

The only good thing about this is it flushes out the loons, of which this forum seems to carry an oddly large number of.
    It's certainly flushed you out.
  • Options
    OK, Blairites, 'fess up: who managed to propose the Little Red Book stunt to the Shadow Chancellor whilst keeping a straight face?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Osborne's response really made it, which the quip "oh look it's his own personal signed copy". I don't like Osborne very much, but he showed some good thinking on his feet skills there. I mean they will have planned and battle tested some potential responses from Labour, but I highly doubt on the list of 10, no 100, actually 1000, likely responses would be "Shadow Chancellor will produce Mao's little red book and quote from it".
  • Options
    edited November 2015

OK, Blairites, 'fess up: who managed to propose the Little Red Book stunt to the Shadow Chancellor whilst keeping a straight face?

There has to be a Tory sleeper agent working high up in Labour organisation, there just has to be.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Perhaps you could rename it "the second-worst political stunt of the year", and save it for a quiet day.

Although, if you don't use it soon, you may have to use "third-worst" or "fourth-worst", the way things are going.
  • Options

LondonBob said:

Incidentally, how frequently have the Turks launched air strikes against IS?
  • Options

Theo Bertram
    This Red Book thing reminds me I once had to kill a Gloria Gaynor section in a major Gordon speech. Awful idea. But at least we killed it.

I expect that would have been based around "I will survive", in which case they were right to kill it. But if it had been based around "I am what I am", they missed a golden opportunity to get Gordon Brown to say:

"I am my own special creation"

"It's my world that I want to have a little pride in
    My world and it's not a place I have to hide in"

"I am what I am
    I don't want praise, I don't want pity"

"And so what if I love each feather and each bangle
    Why not try to see things from a different angle"

"There's one life and there's no return and no deposit
    One life so it's time to open up your closet".

That would have been one hell of a speech.

• Options
    It's arMaogeddon...

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk
    WHO ON EARTH TOLD JOHN MCDONNELL THAT HE SHOULD POSE WITH MAO’S LITTLE RED BOOK?

Owen Bennett ‏@owenjbennett
    Very senior Labour MP on Mao tells me: "This is worse than the Ed Stone."
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I think if say ooh I don't know Peter Bone had got Mao's book out and quoted it everyone would realise it's a joke, as his politics are patently a lifetime away from Mao. But McDonnell is far too close to communism to get away with such a stunt.

Not paying much attention. Presumed the Osborne Mao McDonnell thing was a bizarre Twitter joke.

Then I realised that JOHN MCDONNELL REALLY QUOTED FROM CHAIRMAN MAO

And then I watched the video clip. The faces of the Labour front bench as McDonnell launches into his disastrous gag are just priceless. They look like the Shad Chancellor has just said "I am now going to shoot six puppies," then got out his gun and shot six puppies.

See here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/25/john-mcdonnell-mao-zedong-little-red-book-george-osborne
    That's pretty horrific to watch. Just look how intensely the Labour MPs behind him and around him are staring at their papers wishing (hoping?) this is all a dream, or they're somewhere else.

Even McDonnell looks red with embarrassment when he finally sits down.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The government has quietly announced that it is hitting students in the pocket, by not raising the threshold for repaying their loans.

The BIS department says:

To reduce government debt, the student loan repayment threshold for Plan 2 borrowers will be frozen until April 2021.

Disgraceful - a commercial loan provider would never be allowed to retrospectively change terms like this.
  • Options
    Unsurprisingly, CCHQ is sending out Mao cribs for journos
  • Options

There has to be a Tory sleeper agent working high up in Labour organisation, there just has to be.
    His name is Jeremy...

#DUJCA
  • Options
    No access whatsoever to a TV this avo - any links to the antics in parliament today?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,266
    edited November 2015
    Charles said:

What twaddle. George is positioning himself in the centre for career purposes and to win votes for the Tories.

20% leads coming up? The Tories must have judged that Corbyn is dug in well enough now.

It's not twaddle. This budget is one that shows a shift in Conservative thinking to the left from that of 12 months ago badged under 'one nation'.

Funnily enough, I see the objective of the Conservative Party as to advance the cause of Conservatism in this country. Not as a game of chess that aims to maximise the vote count for the blue team.

But if you do a calculation whereby there is a range 0 [Blair] to 100 [true Kipper] on the "conservative scale" and a percentage of time (between 0% and 100%) when the Conservatives will be in government

Logically the second outcome - Osborne's strategy - is better for the country if you believe in the Conservative ideal
    But you can play that argument both ways: not that I'm arguing for this but if Corbyn is as unelectable as everyone says he is then the Conservatives could move as far to the Right as they like and still win.

So if you wanted to radically reshape the country to a Conservative vision, now's the time.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Not paying much attention. Presumed the Osborne Mao McDonnell thing was a bizarre Twitter joke.

And then I watched the video clip. The faces of the Labour front bench as McDonnell launches into his disastrous gag are just priceless. They look like the Shad Chancellor has just said "I am now going to shoot six puppies," then got out his gun and shot six puppies.

See here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/25/john-mcdonnell-mao-zedong-little-red-book-george-osborne
    That's pretty horrific to watch. Just look how intensely the Labour MPs behind him and around him are staring at their papers wishing (hoping?) this is all a dream, or they're somewhere else.

Even McDonnell looks red with embarrassment when he finally sits down.
    Even Jahadi Jez looks embarrassed. Other than McDonnell, Seema Malhotra does seems to think he is onto a winner though.
  • Options

The government has quietly announced that it is hitting students in the pocket, by not raising the threshold for repaying their loans.

The BIS department says:

To reduce government debt, the student loan repayment threshold for Plan 2 borrowers will be frozen until April 2021.

Disgraceful - a commercial loan provider would never be allowed to retrospectively change terms like this.

I expect to see more and more of this over the years. It is the obvious way to ensure more people repay a larger % of their loan. Certainly not fair, but it is nailed on to happen, whoever is in power.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273

They don't need any help they are out of touch, stupid and incompetent. This really could be an extinction event if they don't go soon. Look at Michael Foot's Shadow cabinet - they were giants compared to this lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_Michael_Foot
  • Options
    The best bit is at that Ozzie kept it. What a raffle prize, prop to be wheeled out like Liam's Little Note etc
    SeanT said:

Perhaps you could rename it "the second-worst political stunt of the year", and save it for a quiet day.

Although, if you don't use it soon, you may have to use "third-worst" or "fourth-worst", the way things are going.
    I don't think MAO-gaffe is in the same league as the EdStone.

The EdStone made me literally laugh, out loud, for about a week, and it had infinite spin-offs - was it a real stone? Where did they get it? Did they turn it into rubble later? Who decided on the stupid words? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY? etc

However, MAO-gaffe must be the most worst Commons mistake in living memory.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    SeanT said:

The EdStone made me literally laugh, out loud, for about a week, and it had infinite spin-offs - was it a real stone? Where did they get it? Did they turn it into rubble later? Who decided on the stupid words? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY? etc

Actually that reminds me about the racist mugs. They were another good giggle.
  • Options

The BIS department says:

A commercial loan would never be on terms as soft as the student loan I'm on tbh (2000 - 2002 cohort)
  • Options

Charles said:

But you can play that argument both ways: not that I'm arguing for this but if Corbyn is as unelectable as everyone says he is then the Conservatives could move as far to the Right as they like and still win.

So if you wanted to radically reshape the country to a Conservative vision, now's the time.
    Better in June 2020, with a 100-seat majority, surely? If you think there's still a big enough market for social conservatism, Corbyn has shown you the way. There's [probably] going to be an election for a 6+ year PM in 2019, between two candidates, likely George Osborne and someone a fair distance to his right. You'd have thought people would be falling over themselves to get into the electorate.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Actually what about the racist mugs? I forgot about those...
    Elvis in 2010?
    Gillian Duffy the same year?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

SeanT said:

Actually what about the racist mugs? I forgot about those...
    Elvis in 2010?
    Gillian Duffy the same year?
    How did I forget Mrs Duffy...Although unlike Elvis, that wasn't a planned stunt.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

OGH namechecked in the chamber!

Well done Mr Smithson (assuming it's a positive!)

• Options
    It's good to see John McDonnell do his bit to show the unions just what a catastrophically bad leadership team Labour currently has. He has probably hastened his own and Jezza's departure a little. So there is a silver lining for Labour. Next stop Oldham ...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The wonderful thing about the Edstone was that it wasn't just a one-off blunder, but carefully planned: a committee must have approved it, someone approved a budget for it, someone contacted suppliers and sent out a purchase order for it, and there must have been discussions over weeks on what platitudes to engrave on it. It beggars belief that at no point in that process did anyone think, 'hang on a sec, is this a good idea?'
  • Options

LondonBob said:

They've done some, but sadly they seem keener to strike Kurdish targets. In this, they're very much like Russia, who seem keen to hit any anti-Assad forces aside from ISIL, who are mostly in the 'wrong' part of the country for their aims.

How many times have Lebanon? Jordan?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"The Mayor of the Brussels district of Molenbeek received a list with the names of more than 80 suspected jihadists living in the area just one month before the Paris attacks. The New York Times reported that on this list attacks mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud, and the two brothers who took part - Brahim and Salah Abdeslam - who remains at large. Their apartment was just 100 metres from the Mayor's office, and could be viewed from her window."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12015522/Manhunt-for-Salah-Abdeslam-as-Brussels-reopens-after-Paris-attacks-lockdown-Wednesday-live.html
  • Options
    edited November 2015

The best bit is at that Ozzie kept it. What a raffle prize, prop to be wheeled out like Liam's Little Note etc

SeanT said:

Liam's Note got another mention in dispatches by Osborne today, truly a gift that keeps giving.

Now, about that little red book. To keep it for the 2020 election campaign or to auction it at next year's fundraising ball..? Decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The BIS department says:

A commercial loan would never be on terms as soft as the student loan I'm on tbh (2000 - 2002 cohort)
    Um, almost certainly a commercial loan provider could.

Depends on the nature of the lending, of course.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Liam's Note got another mention in dispatches by Osborne today, truly a gift that keeps giving.

Now, about that little red book. To keep it for the 2020 election campaign or to auction it at next year's fundraising ball..? Decisions, decisions...
    Definitely a keeper. Although, I doubt it will be relevant by 2020.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Pulpstar said:

The BIS department says:

Um, almost certainly a commercial loan provider could.

Depends on the nature of the lending, of course.
    I've considered paying some off at 0%, or even 5% discount but if my firm ever went bust I'd properly owe the money.

Income contingent Base rate 0.9% is tricky to beat.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Tom said:

They don't need any help they are out of touch, stupid and incompetent. This really could be an extinction event if they don't go soon. Look at Michael Foot's Shadow cabinet - they were giants compared to this lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_Michael_Foot
    That's a really telling comparison. Foot had quite an impressive line-up behind him (Eric Heffer excepted, of course - but then he wasn't in a very important post).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

See here.

At least the LibDem Yellow Bookers have some competition now.....
  • Options

Bosnia 1995?
    Fleet Air Arm pilots flying Sea Harriers in 1982 was the last time a UK pilot shot down an enemy aircraft. The last time the RAF did it was 1945 (though RAF pilots flying on secondment to the USAAF and so in US aeroplanes did score kills in the Korean war).

The USA did score air to air kills in Gulf War 1, I can't remember off the top of my head whether that was by USAF pilots or USN or a combination of both.
    You missed "RAF pilots flying Sea Harriers in 1982" :smile:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2015

The BIS department says:

George Osborne has also stabbed Martin Lewis in the back bigtime.

He was taken onboard by the government to sell (ahem, "educate") would be students about the new tuition fees in 2011.

"Repeatedly during the process (and since) I asked for assurances of the continuation of the uprating from 2017, and was promised it directly – it formed a major part of the calculations and explanations I gave out. I was also promised there would be no retrospective changes for anyone under the 2012+ system."

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2015/01/09/a-deliberate-threat-to-the-government-u-turn-on-the-21000-student-loan-repayment-threshold-i-will-organise-mass-protest/?_ga=1.77753373.822395506.1447680360
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2015
    The Russians who follow me on facebook seem universally angry with Turkey (OK only a small sample of 12 or 15).

From what I see I wouldn't be shocked if Russian citizens implement a voluntary and total ban on Turkish products. They are very Nationalistic and proud and protective of the Russian nation and heritage.
  • Options

SeanT said:

The wonderful thing about the Edstone was that it wasn't just a one-off blunder, but carefully planned: a committee must have approved it, someone approved a budget for it, someone contacted suppliers and sent out a purchase order for it, and there must have been discussions over weeks on what platitudes to engrave on it. It beggars belief that at no point in that process did anyone think, 'hang on a sec, is this a good idea?'
    People get so wrapped up in detail that they don't look at the big picture.

30 years ago we had a project to migrate dasd files to tape. I had to come up with various criteria such as frequency of access, type of access and so on. The last one was "Does it make sense?".

That got everyone excited and upset - if it meets all the criteria then of course you move it, what's the point of "does it make sense?"
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yes, given what we now know about the number of meetings Labour had during the campaign it must have been discussed 100 times before it was unveiled.

From memory the discussion here at the time suggested that someone very high up must have decided that it would be the showpiece of the last week's campaigning, and no-one dared tell the emperor that he wasn't wearing any clothes!
  • Options
    philiph said:

The Russians who follow me on facebook seem universally angry with Turkey (OK only a small sample of 12 or 15).

From what I wouldn't be shocked if Russian citizens implement a voluntary and total ban on Turkish products. They are very Nationalistic and proud and protective of the Russian nation and heritage.

No more Turkish Delight?
  • Options

LondonBob said:

They've done some, but sadly they seem keener to strike Kurdish targets. In this, they're very much like Russia, who seem keen to hit any anti-Assad forces aside from ISIL, who are mostly in the 'wrong' part of the country for their aims.

Ah, but neither of those nations are supposed to be our key NATO allies, are they?
  • Options
    @UKGovScotland: Good news for Scotland as capital spending set to increase 14% in real terms over next 5 years #SpendingReview https://t.co/ErWectHj0v
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2015
    Looking at the demographic intent on voting Corbyn, most of them weren't born when Mao was alive. It'll be culturally irrelevant to most of them, though obviously if you're 40+ it's different.

• Options

SeanT said:

Liam's Note, now that was funny!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    philiph said:

From what I see I wouldn't be shocked if Russian citizens implement a voluntary and total ban on Turkish products. They are very Nationalistic and proud and protective of the Russian nation and heritage.

I suspect that a quiet pullback over the Donbass, so Russian tourists could get to the EU a little easier would be good for both Russian holidaymakers and for the Greek tourist economy.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Yes, given what we now know about the number of meetings Labour had during the campaign it must have been discussed 100 times before it was unveiled.

From memory the discussion here at the time suggested that someone very high up must have decided that it would be the showpiece of the last week's campaigning, and no-one dared tell the emperor that he wasn't wearing any clothes!
    The problem with this was - as with so much else - that if Lucy and Ed thought it was a good idea, no-one else's opinion counted.
  • Options
  • Options

You missed "RAF pilots flying Sea Harriers in 1982" :smile:

Were there any, Mr. Cooke? I didn't think so, but I am happy to be corrected. There were certainly RAF pilots driving the ground attack version of the aeroplane off the decks of Hermes and Invincible, but I am not aware that there were any driving the Sea Harriers, which were, of course, the aeroplanes which scored the kills. :)
  • Options
    Prescient!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

LondonBob said:

Ah, but neither of those nations are supposed to be our key NATO allies, are they?
    No. But remember Turkey are allowing the US to use Incirlik air base to strike against IS.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

People get so wrapped up in detail that they don't look at the big picture.

30 years ago we had a project to migrate dasd files to tape. I had to come up with various criteria such as frequency of access, type of access and so on. The last one was "Does it make sense?".

That got everyone excited and upset - if it meets all the criteria then of course you move it, what's the point of "does it make sense?"
    It's also true of interview panels. The candidate meets all the criteria but you often wouldn't want to spend more than thirty seconds in their presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    chestnut said:

Looking at the demographic intent on voting Corbyn, most of them weren't born when Mao was alive. It'll be culturally irrelevant to most of them, though obviously if you're 40+ it's different.

Al Murray has been getting grief from those kind of idiots for daring to say that Mao wasn't the sort of person whose side he would take.
  • Options
    Only managed to watch about 20 minutes of the Daily Politics before I had to go out but the combined egos of Andrew Neil, Laura Keunnsberg and Robert Peston was too much. Laura Keunnsberg, like her colleague Norman Smith, can't say her piece without "acting" it. It drives me mad.

Apart from the "Mao" piece, I take it the rest of his response was dire as well? It's hard not to think the conservatives have got a "sleeper cell" embedded in the Labour party.
This discussion has been closed.