Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    No wonder Labour's ground game at the last election was so potent ;)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Cameron could just shut all of this down tonight. Use the prerogative to start military action.

The constitution gives him the right. Though he probably doesn't want to use it. He might just have to.

Cameron has accepted and endorsed the recent convention, reiterated yesterday, of seeking the approval of the HoC for military action that does not require an immediate strike response.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

I think this could be a defining moment in BOOSTING support for Corbyn.

An awful lot of people are not keen on military action in Syria - when it doesn't go ahead the headlines are going to be "Corbyn Stops Military Action" etc - and it will give him a big popularity boost.

How?

More then 2/3 of the population support the need for military action. He isn't going to get a popularity boost from anywhere.
    How robust are the polls on that?

ie how many polls, question wording etc?
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/11/25/strong-and-continued-support-raf-air-strikes-syria/

Pretty clear cut, even a plurality in favour of British and American ground forces.
    Can't we just email copies of the graphs here to Labour MPs to help them make up their minds...?
  • Options

Only the Oracle at Delphi could have foreseen this happening.

Mike Smithson's at the barbers .... he'll not be long ....

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:

Momentum big day out tommorow:

London to Oldham Return Coach and Canvassing confirmation!

DEPARTS: 8.15am, Saturday 28th
    Outside McDonalds, 155 Victoria St, London, Westminster, Greater London SW1E 5NA
    RETURN: Leave Oldham at 7.30pm, returning to London at approx. 11.30pm, Saturday 28th
    Empress Coaches

I'm not sure how popular a bunch of left-wing Londoners will be in Oldham on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Cameron could just shut all of this down tonight. Use the prerogative to start military action.

The constitution gives him the right. Though he probably doesn't want to use it. He might just have to.

Cameron has accepted and endorsed the recent convention, reiterated yesterday, of seeking the approval of the HoC for military action that does not require an immediate strike response.

Even if an immediate response isn't required, surely you should always strike the enemy unexpectedly
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Outside McDonalds, 155 Victoria St, London, Westminster, Greater London SW1E 5NA
    RETURN: Leave Oldham at 7.30pm, returning to London at approx. 11.30pm, Saturday 28th
    Empress Coaches

I'm not sure how popular a bunch of left-wing Londoners will be in Oldham on a Saturday afternoon.
    They'll be back on the bus by 12.30pm
  • Options
    @Kevin_Maguire: Interesting @DailyMirror poll coming up on public attitudes to Britain bombing Syria. 6.30pm on https://t.co/BVUM17F1Jd
  • Options

I expected at latest a 7:30 start. And arriving back around 1am to make a trip worthwhile.

Assuming a 20 mins pee break on route plus at least 4hrs 25mins travelling - that's a 1pm start/wasting time getting into groups/leaflets etc.

So maybe 3.5hrs max total?

It's 4hrs 8 mins according to GoogleMaps. I suspect it will be longer from Central London with Christmas shopping traffic

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

Departs 8.15?
    They are not going to spend much time canvassing given the usual state of the M6 - do they know where Oldham is?
    And they are having a curry 4.45.
    Did you include the service station breaks? Do we allow for it leaving on time? 15 minutes late is now quite fashionable I hear.
    Do we allow for it to be a speed limited coach?
    Do we allow for the early arrival for the curries?
    Come on this is a betting forum, just how much canvassing will get done?
    Two and a half hours?

However the official leaving time is 8.15.
    The coach will be speed limited to 56mph
    The toilet break will drag on longer than 20mins, especially if there is a Greggs.
    The M6 M56 is crass, I cannot believe they will use a private toll road. The
    I saw as well that the all important curry may be timed to start at 4.15.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Momentum Social - Curry with a few words from John McDonnell
    Tomorrow 16:45 · Oldham, United Kingdom

How nice a curry? I can put up with many words for a good curry.
    After a hard day's canvassing for Labour candidate Jim McMahon on Saturday, please come and join us for a curry! We will meet at 4.15 at the Labour Campaign Centre, 227 Middleton Road, Chadderton, Oldham, OL9 6JR to take a photo with John and then we will take a five minute walk with him to Eastern Pavilion Banqueting Hall. John is planning to say a few words at the meal. You can bring your own drinks and there will be great food for the bargain price of £4.50! Priority given to those who have been canvassing.
    At £4.50 a head I hope it is subsidised.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, indeed. Hannibal did not tell the Romans he was invading via the Alps.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

They won't have got there by 12.30.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited November 2015
    Golly!

Tory Penny Jackman £80,000 bill for hitting Ukip rival http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4625001.ece

£14k in damages for his dentures and injury plus £70k in costs!!
  • Options

JackW said:

Even if an immediate response isn't required, surely you should always strike the enemy unexpectedly
    I don't think Cameron is proposing to send invites to ISIS to pop over to the Officers Mess at RAF Akrotiri for a full military briefing and drinks at "happy hour".

• Options
    JackW said:

Yes.
    I am not sure I agree with it, given we are talking about air strikes from Cyprus and it being part of an international UN mandated operation.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Floater said:

You remember those "review of the year" type shows going through the major news stories of the year?

They are going to need an hour just for Labour :-)

An hour? They'll need more than that just for the first month of Corbyn.
    We will all be punch drunk by Christmas.
    What will have happened by Easter I wonder?
  • Options
    Sometimes timing is everything:

@PickardJE · 3m3 minutes ago
    FT Exclusive: Letter from Chairman Mao to Labour leader* going on sale at Sotheby's for >£100,000 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7fd01844-9518-11e5-8389-7c9ccf83dceb.html … *Clement Attlee

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    So how many Labour M's have escaped Jezzas clutches by resigning? Not a one! The cowardly creeps stick to their seats like limpets. None have a spark of courage or decency or pride in themselves.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Golly!

Tory Penny Jackman £80,000 bill for hitting Ukip rival http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4625001.ece

Must have been a fairly hard slap :o
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    MikeK said:

So how many Labour M's have escaped Jezzas clutches by resigning? Not a one! The cowardly creeps stick to their seats like limpets. None have a spark of courage or decency or pride in themselves.

I did enjoy Carswell's offer to help them with by-election tips.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    MikeK said:

They're happy to take the pain, for the gain of expenses and salaries until 2020. Cash wins over principles every time.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

watford30 said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

They won't have left by 12.30, they'll still be arguing about the gender imbalance on the back seat...
  • Options

Golly!

Well it's one way to raise cash for donations I suppose. ;)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm glad you mentioned Welby- the numpty. If he questioned god's existence on the basis of a measly 130 slaughtered indiscriminately in Paris, well what does he think about the holocaust? Does Welby read books?The Capos were charged with searching through the clothes of the victims to find babies and infants they could chuck into the gas chambers.

Note to Welby- there is no God. There cannot be. And if there was one, she is truly one sick, sadistic, son of a bitch.
  • Options
    Just watched Emily Thornberry on SKY. This woman just makes me want to jump into the TV and give her a good smack.

She was totally disingenuous saying all the PM spoke about in the HoC yesterday was about bombing ISIS. I have just watched the whole three-hour debate on the Parliament channel and he answered every single question on all aspects of his statement.

Reading Yvette Balls comments, I think some Labour MPs are now beginning to chicken out of making a decision.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

Nicely put. I've done canvassing for political parties. You tend to get a very mixed group. There's a quick half-concious mental process that you go through, where you scan a group and try to work out whether you will attract more votes than you repel.
  • Options

Talk about procrastination

Yvette Cooper writes to the PM to ask for security and Defence briefings for MPs on Monday before making up their minds on air strikes

As I said below, the Labour front bench will hold onto their seats like limpets. No pride guts or decency in the lot of them.
  • Options

JackW said:

Yes.
    I am not sure I agree with it, given we are talking about air strikes from Cyprus and it being part of an international UN mandated operation.
    Despite Blair having introduced the convention for his false prospectus of the Iraq war, I consider the floor of the HoC to be the correct forum for these issues to be fully debated and the Prime Minister questioned in depth.

In an emergency requiring an immediate response the Royal Prerogative may still be used.

• Options
    Apparently her web page describes her as a Doer not a Talker!
    RobD said:

Golly!

Must have been a fairly hard slap :o
  • Options
    :lol:
    TudorRose said:

watford30 said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

They won't have left by 12.30, they'll still be arguing about the gender imbalance on the back seat...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    So Labour MPs are starting to make deliberately spurious requests for further information or discussion, so that when the time comes, they can vote no whilst insisting they were open to voting yes if only Cameron had taken the time to build a concensus.

What clever, brave little chappies they are.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

I'm glad you mentioned Welby- the numpty. If he questioned god's existence on the basis of a measly 130 slaughtered indiscriminately in Paris, well what does he think about the holocaust? Does Welby read books?The Capos were charged with searching through the clothes of the victims to find babies and infants they could chuck into the gas chambers.

Note to Welby- there is no God. There cannot be. And if there was one, she is truly one sick, sadistic, son of a bitch.

God has been put on trial a number of times for neglect of duty, acording to the Jewish Chronicle:

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/wiesel-yes-we-really-did-put-god-trial

Indeed the entire Book of Job is on the issue!
  • Options
    tyson said:

What makes you think that God should be a social worker (other than that some social workers think themselves God)?

If the supernatural does exist, the Greek / Roman / Norse etc notion of many gods makes more sense to me than a celestial dictator.
  • Options
    I still recall chuckling over the advice given to Greenies canvassing = to stand at least three feet back from the doorstep. And listen to what they have to say.

I've visions of very passionate, earnest lentil weavers right in the face of Mr & Mrs Average and frigtening the pants off them.
    Fat_Steve said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

Nicely put. I've done canvassing for political parties. You tend to get a very mixed group. There's a quick half-concious mental process that you go through, where you scan a group and try to work out whether you will attract more votes than you repel.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Now, now, have a respect for gender: she is truly one sick, sadistic, daughter of a bitch.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Yes.
    Despite Blair having introduced the convention for his false prospectus of the Iraq war, I consider the floor of the HoC to be the correct forum for these issues to be fully debated and the Prime Minister questioned in depth.

In an emergency requiring an immediate response the Royal Prerogative may still be used.

I agree with that. In practice, it's only bringing two parts of the constitution together. A prime minister who took a country to war against the (unsought) wishes of the Commons would find both his/her position and the military action untenable, with grave consequences for both. Best to line the ducks up first.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    maaarsh said:

So Labour MPs are starting to make deliberately spurious requests for further information or discussion, so that when the time comes, they can vote no whilst insisting they were open to voting yes if only Cameron had taken the time to build a concensus.

What clever, brave little chappies they are.

I would hope they are not being so shameless. Asking for more info/insisting that there has not been enough consultation etc, no matter how much is provided, is a classic and infuriating delaying tactic whoever uses it and regardless of what is being discussed.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Yes.

Oh yes, the PM should go the the House to explain why he has done what he has done.
  • Options

tyson said:

What makes you think that God should be a social worker (other than that some social workers think themselves God)?

If the supernatural does exist, the Greek / Roman / Norse etc notion of many gods makes more sense to me than a celestial dictator.
    Pagans of the world unite!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Who's your new avatar?

EDIT I think @ZenPagan was our only resident Wiccan on here - haven't seen him post in a while.
    MikeK said:

tyson said:

• Options

Who's your new avatar?

EDIT I think @ZenPagan was our only resident Wiccan on here - haven't seen him post in a while.

MikeK said:

tyson said:

Is it Mandy Smith?
  • Options
    @TCPoliticalBetting has the most disconcerting.
    watford30 said:

Who's your new avatar?

MikeK said:

tyson said:

Is it Mandy Smith?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

This is why Labour in its current form is doomed...

@krishgm: We can't find a single Labour MP expressing concern about the leadership's Syria position prepared to come on TV tonight to debate

At this rate, the Ed Stone may not even feature in the top 10 list of Labour's biggest cock-ups.
    Can't help feeling all the fun will come to an end before too long though.

It's inevitable that the Corbyn Era is now in the endgame. Hilary Benn will take over as a caretaker for a couple of years until a fresh-faced alternative from the newer crowd of Lab MPs emerges to fight GE2020, and Benn will restore Labour to parity or a small lead in the polls and some sort of alternative government respectability, and politics will get a bit boring for a while until the EU referendum kicks off (assuming it actually ever happens)
    How will Benn even get the leadership? Corbyn will win any new leadership race, the YouGov from the other day shows he still has the majority of support from the party. His leadership has pushed the party so far to the left that the membership is now much more to the left than it was under Ed.
    Benn will be nominated unopposed like Michael Howard
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

I don't think Cameron is proposing to send invites to ISIS to pop over to the Officers Mess at RAF Akrotiri for a full military briefing and drinks at "happy hour".

No, but we may want to take out their outposts/training camps in Libya. At the very least the Commons motion should allow us to strike wheresoever they may be and in whatever manner is thought appropriate.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

@krishgm: We can't find a single Labour MP expressing concern about the leadership's Syria position prepared to come on TV tonight to debate

At this rate, the Ed Stone may not even feature in the top 10 list of Labour's biggest cock-ups.

It's inevitable that the Corbyn Era is now in the endgame. Hilary Benn will take over as a caretaker for a couple of years until a fresh-faced alternative from the newer crowd of Lab MPs emerges to fight GE2020, and Benn will restore Labour to parity or a small lead in the polls and some sort of alternative government respectability, and politics will get a bit boring for a while until the EU referendum kicks off (assuming it actually ever happens)
    How will Benn even get the leadership? Corbyn will win any new leadership race, the YouGov from the other day shows he still has the majority of support from the party. His leadership has pushed the party so far to the left that the membership is now much more to the left than it was under Ed.
    No he won't! And any attempt at such a trick would create an internal civil war in the party far worse than the current situation.

Corbyn can only be removed by the same process that he was chosen, a contested election of the selectorate.
  • Options

I expected at latest a 7:30 start. And arriving back around 1am to make a trip worthwhile.

Assuming a 20 mins pee break on route plus at least 4hrs 25mins travelling - that's a 1pm start/wasting time getting into groups/leaflets etc.

So maybe 3.5hrs max total?

It's 4hrs 8 mins according to GoogleMaps. I suspect it will be longer from Central London with Christmas shopping traffic

Pulpstar said:

Empress Coaches

Departs 8.15?
    They are not going to spend much time canvassing given the usual state of the M6 - do they know where Oldham is?
    And they are having a curry 4.45.
    Did you include the service station breaks? Do we allow for it leaving on time? 15 minutes late is now quite fashionable I hear.
    Do we allow for it to be a speed limited coach?
    Do we allow for the early arrival for the curries?
    Come on this is a betting forum, just how much canvassing will get done?
    Two and a half hours?

However the official leaving time is 8.15.
    The coach will be speed limited to 56mph
    The toilet break will drag on longer than 20mins, especially if there is a Greggs.
    The M6 M56 is crass, I cannot believe they will use a private toll road. The
    I saw as well that the all important curry may be timed to start at 4.15.
    At that point the driver will be getting very close to needing to take the rest of his break.
    8.15 is an insane time to be leaving central London.
    To make this trip worthwhile they really should be on their way by not long after 6
  • Options

Who's your new avatar?

MikeK said:

tyson said:

For your info, #Plato, my new avatar is very like the old: the delightfully saucy Maisie Williams.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MarinaHyde: Still, it's nice that a younger generation are getting to discover Ken Livingstone for themselves.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

No he won't! And any attempt at such a trick would create an internal civil war in the party far worse than the current situation.

Corbyn can only be removed by the same process that he was chosen, a contested election of the selectorate.
    Why not once he gets enough nominations to be a challenger if Corbyn does not then get 35 nominations to enter a members ballot Benn is automatically elected. Such a challenge would only occur were Labour to lose a by election to UKIP and would obviously be less worse than continuing on with Corbyn. The Tories ousted IDS and replaced him with Howard without a civil war despite IDS winning 60% of members votes
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott

"@MarinaHyde: Still, it's nice that a younger generation are getting to discover Ken Livingstone for themselves."

He used to be impressive. Terrible face for the Labour Party. Not quite Dianne Abbott but not far off
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @stvharry: Survation poll on UK Syria bombing -48% yes. 30% no. 21% DK. 59% say it will increase risk of terror attack here
This discussion has been closed.