Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So what happened to the long-term plan, George?

Comments

• As the in-house Cypriot-Turk/Boggtrotter:

Please can we STFU about turkey (and goose)! Duck is much nicer for a Xmas meal....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    I see Kerry McCarthy thinks the term "fishermen" is sexist.

Labour continue to provide effective opposition.
  • Cutting Short money to opposition parties seems to have gone largely unremarked, though Richard Nabavi flagged it up shortly after Osborne sat down.

All things considered: I think this is the 'unknown unknown' in the "Autumn Statement":

Pensions; ISAs; and Annuities

Tax-free cash may not survive FY2018.
    Salary sacrifice pension contributions seem to be under threat as well. Maybe there will be a thread from one of the savings and pensions experts about where Osborne is going with this.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676

Michael Dugher MP tweets: 1,300+ RAF missions in northern Iraq resulted in 330 ISIL killed by UK airstrikes, 0 civilian casualties + ISIL lost 30% of its territory.

Is a 1 in 3 kill rate good or bad? More importantly, are the proposed Syrian raids in addition to or instead of the Iraqi strikes? If instead, then what is the great point of principle on either side?
    Even allowing for the jackanory numbers, it will be circa £10M a hit , would they not be better employed funding the Kurds at a hundredth of that and get some real results, the 30% is down to them not the toys this halfwit is praising.
  • Mr. F, this was discussed yesterday. The appropriate term, as decided by me, was 'piscine-person'.

The enormo-haddock stubbornly refuse to stop referring to fisherman as 'hors d'oeuvres', however.

Mr. Thoughts, never had duck, but goose is nice. I agree turkey is tiresome. Why it's the standard fare for Christmas is beyond me.
    Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Michael Dugher MP tweets: 1,300+ RAF missions in northern Iraq resulted in 330 ISIL killed by UK airstrikes, 0 civilian casualties + ISIL lost 30% of its territory.

What a lying Tory halfwit
    Fair enough...

In the interests of balance you do of course have a link to the actual figures one presumes. We can then all see the various alternatives and make our own minds up.
    LOL, You think they publish figures here of who they kill or that the bodies have tags on them as to which bomb killed them. We killed hundreds of thousands previously so nothing to feel good about. Tory warmongers glorying in how many people they havw bombed and killed is odious however you look at it, especially a cowardly one commenting from his armchair seeking reflected glory as if he had done something good and principled. His boast about them losing 30% of their territory is down to the local fighters on the ground , who are paying with their lives , they are not sitting drinking subsidised champagne and boasting of their prowess from a club chair in Westminster. Vomit inducing.
    So that's a no then. ........ m'kay.
    Do you have any evidence for his fantasy numbers, I will not hold my breath while you rummage
  • Mr. F, this was discussed yesterday. The appropriate term, as decided by me, was 'piscine-person'.

The enormo-haddock stubbornly refuse to stop referring to fisherman as 'hors d'oeuvres', however.

Mr. Thoughts, never had duck, but goose is nice. I agree turkey is tiresome. Why it's the standard fare for Christmas is beyond me.

Someone chickened-out [sic] on the lamb-of-god [sic] to beef [sic] morale? A fishy story to-be-told....
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,524
    malcolmg said:

My word Mr Jessop you really are a joyful soul, it's Saturday morning and you're already ranting and calling me clueless. I understand the interweb can bring out the worst in people but I'd politely suggest you have a quiet 5 minutes to reflect. I have debated the foreign aid budget in public on several occasions and my position is consistent: we waste money overseas.

Now you may disagree but my life really is better served than being on the other end of your histrionics.

I'm a very joyful soul. I've had a cuddle with my son after feeding him, and not even having to deal with a faintly radioactive nappy has removed the smile off my face (though it might have burnt my nasal passages). Even the prospect of the imminent arrival of my mother-in-law hasn't soured me. (*)

My point is that you have shown that your position is consistent but not based on information. Given that, it's quite easy for you to be consistent. You have admitted you do not know how foreign aid is spent in outline, yet alone detail, therefore being against it so stridently is a curious position.

As for money being wasted, I'll turn around the question you asked me the other day: can you name a department where money is not wasted?

As it is such a good day, perhaps you should try knocking on a few more doors and asking them about foreign aid.

(*) She is a lovely lady. I think she loves me because I've taken one of her daughters off her hands ... ;)
    When do the violins start
    No violins required: I'm in a good mood.

You should try it one day. ;)
  • "Fisher" would do fine if finding a gender neutral word is vital. Jesus uses it in the King James's version of the bible.
  • MikeK said:

Is a 1 in 3 kill rate good or bad? More importantly, are the proposed Syrian raids in addition to or instead of the Iraqi strikes? If instead, then what is the great point of principle on either side?
    It's a very poor kill rate and if we knew the tonnage of bombs dropped the rate will prove to be even poorer. As to no civilian casualties, what did they do, drop an officer in to count them?
    It could be newspeak -- our American allies apparently count all male victims as combatants rather than civilian casualties.
  • Sean_F said:

I see Kerry McCarthy thinks the term "fishermen" is sexist.

Labour continue to provide effective opposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cD-0xvgLE
  • Mr. Thoughts, it's just baffling. So much meat is delicious, and whilst turkey is edible it's inferior to probably every other meat I've ever had (excepting either sheep or ox tongue, I forget which. Being able to feel to taste buds on the tongue you're eating is not pleasant).
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,761

Mr. P, whilst I do think having the Commons vote is daft, I bet Cameron can't quite believe just what Labour is doing to itself.

I've only just caught up with what's been happening due to house move and heavy teaching load and BT being a bunch of incompetent failures. But I can't quite believe what's happening either. Osborne should be booking the removers for No. 11 this week, if even half of what's being said is true Grant Shapps should be uneasily awaiting a visit from the boys in blue while being eviscerated in every national newspaper and Theresa May should be discussing how to take her pension. But we're talking about a man who thought it appropriate to quote a line one of the most evil men of the 20th century used to justify mass murder in a speech, and who called for acts of grievous bodily harm to be perpetrated on his political allies, among other egregious mis-steps which suggest that if Livingstone had called for his psychological evaluation he wouldn't have been very far wrong.

Cameron must surely be the luckiest political leader since Campbell-Bannerman. Has anyone checked to see if he has mortgaged his soul to the Father of Evil?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    They keep coming and the stupid EU continue to let them in:
    https://twitter.com/coinabs/status/670367395970576385
  • On topic, I agree 100% with David Herdson.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited November 2015
    " Osborne has kicked the can a little further down the road at a time when Britain’s deficit is still worse than it was before the last recession, public debt is vastly worse and interest rates remain at ‘emergency’ lows. "

Not to forget that the UK's current account deficit is at the highest on record:

Selected years:

1997 £1bn
    2007 £37bn
    2010 £44bn
    2014 £93bn

Borrow and bribe
    Borrow and bribe
    Borrow and bribe

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=HBOP&dataset=pnbp&table-id=A

"Fisher" would do fine if finding a gender neutral word is vital. Jesus uses it in the King James's version of the bible.

I think I prefer MD's Piscine Person.

I also liked the suggestion of Cod Botherer.
    ydoethur said:

Mr. P, whilst I do think having the Commons vote is daft, I bet Cameron can't quite believe just what Labour is doing to itself.

I've only just caught up with what's been happening due to house move and heavy teaching load and BT being a bunch of incompetent failures. But I can't quite believe what's happening either. Osborne should be booking the removers for No. 11 this week, if even half of what's being said is true Grant Shapps should be uneasily awaiting a visit from the boys in blue while being eviscerated in every national newspaper and Theresa May should be discussing how to take her pension. But we're talking about a man who thought it appropriate to quote a line one of the most evil men of the 20th century used to justify mass murder in a speech, and who called for acts of grievous bodily harm to be perpetrated on his political allies, among other egregious mis-steps which suggest that if Livingstone had called for his psychological evaluation he wouldn't have been very far wrong.

Cameron must surely be the luckiest political leader since Campbell-Bannerman. Has anyone checked to see if he has mortgaged his soul to the Father of Evil?
    For this kind of luck, probably the souls of his entire family.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Yorkcity said:

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/jeremy-corbyn-is-more-sensible-about-syria-than-david-cameron/

I thought I would link this article , just to get some small smidgeon of balance on PB.
    I did not vote for Corbyn but every now and again a party needs some chaos to bring differnt views to the table.

I share many of the concerns, but I still feel Corbyn is not thinking about the present, he is only thinking about the future, so while I'm not fully sold on the Cameron plan, sometimes you have to act now even if it causes trouble later when the current threat is do bad, whereas Corbyn I think just automatically discounts acting now and then justifies it later
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: David Cameron wants a Commons vote on Syria air strikes next Wednesday - ministers ringing Labour MPs this weekend; https://t.co/sfhqRRPWHf

Might that backfire? Labour MPs seem very skittish at the moment, picking a date so any mass disagreement with the leader will be splashed on the front pages on the day of the by-election seems like it might put a few off.
    MikeK said:

Look at Cameron's demeanor in the photo leading this thread especially his eyes, and you see a very worried man, and probably something darker going on there.

Yes of course, a single frame of him looking at the back of Osborne's head proves that.
  • Mr. Doethur, indeed, Livingstone's QT comments were thoroughly disgraceful.

And, although it won't last, the Conservatives have enjoyed tremendous fortune this year. It's not so long ago they were neck-and-neck in the polls with Labour.

Mr. K, point of order: it's not really 'smuggling' any more if the German Chancellor lets in anyone saying they're Syrian.
    Sean_F said:

"Fisher" would do fine if finding a gender neutral word is vital. Jesus uses it in the King James's version of the bible.

Nothing wrong with fisherman , just tell the political correctness halfwits to take a hike and go do something useful.
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

Nothing wrong with fisherman , just tell the political correctness halfwits to take a hike and go do something useful.
    Harold Wilson's response to complaints about gender-neutral language was best. "Man embraces woman."

Mr. F, this was discussed yesterday. The appropriate term, as decided by me, was 'piscine-person'.

You should try roast duck.
  • Michael Dugher MP tweets: 1,300+ RAF missions in northern Iraq resulted in 330 ISIL killed by UK airstrikes, 0 civilian casualties + ISIL lost 30% of its territory.

Is a 1 in 3 kill rate good or bad?
    Where does 1 in 3 come from?

'Missions' will include refuelling flights, and operations where no munitions were released.....but why don't you ask the Labour MP quoting the figures?
  • Mr. F, now you mention it, I did have Peking duck once, and it was delicious.
  • From the Telegraph:

' UK growth was dampened by a record drag from weak trade in the third quarter, putting the spotlight on Britain's unbalanced recovery.

Britain's trade deficit - or the gap between UK imports and exports - almost doubled in the third quarter, to £14.2bn. This reflected a jump in imports, which rose by 5.5pc over the period compared with a 2.7pc fall in the second quarter.

The drag from trade was enough to knock 1.5 percentage points off growth in the third quarter, which represented its weakest contribution since records began in 1998.

However, this decline was more than offset by an increase in consumer spending and investment, which pushed up domestic demand growth at the fastest pace in two years. '

Now we all know about the complete failure of the 'March of the Makers' proclaimed by Osborne in his 2011 Budget, lets see how his 2012 Budget plan to double UK exports to a trillion pounds by 2020 is proceeding:

2011 UK exports = £497bn
    2014q4-2015q3 UK exports = £516bn

UK exporters have the inconvenience of operating in the real world with real customers and real competitors and real goods and services and real money.

And they aren't allowed to 'discover' endless billions to make the books add up.

• HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Is Larry the Downing Street cat actually his familiar (doesn't Osborne also have a cat)? Or perhaps a convenient shape for Mephistopheles to hold whilst he keeps an eye to ensure no backsliding.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Fair enough...

In the interests of balance you do of course have a link to the actual figures one presumes. We can then all see the various alternatives and make our own minds up.
    LOL, You think they publish figures here of who they kill or that the bodies have tags on them as to which bomb killed them. We killed hundreds of thousands previously so nothing to feel good about. Tory warmongers glorying in how many people they havw bombed and killed is odious however you look at it, especially a cowardly one commenting from his armchair seeking reflected glory as if he had done something good and principled. His boast about them losing 30% of their territory is down to the local fighters on the ground , who are paying with their lives , they are not sitting drinking subsidised champagne and boasting of their prowess from a club chair in Westminster. Vomit inducing.
    Do you have any evidence for his fantasy numbers, I will not hold my breath while you rummage
    Nice try at evasion.

MalcolmG .... It's not me calling someone "a liar" and "a halfwit" it is you. So back to the original question, I simply asked you to provide evidence to back up your statements so we could all make our minds up.

You do have that evidence don't you? Please say you do being as you came on here this morning throwing dispersions around and ranting about someone's truthfulness and even the state of their psychological character?

Sadly, I suspect not and this is just yet another example of your type of interventions on here.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,773
    I think David's excellent article is a little harsh, at least at the macroeconomic scale on Osborne. As I commented on Thursday he has contrived an almost Brownian trick of having lots of focus on relatively small sums of money whilst continuing with very harsh cuts of the unprotected departments.

My main concern is not so much with the economics (although I would have preferred faster deficit reduction with the "found" money) but the mood music which is deliberately centralist and consensual. I think and fear that the Tories have severely weakened the case for sound public finances by understating the urgency of getting them back into some sort of balance so deep into the current economic cycle. That seems to me a mistake not just economically but politically.

I can understand the temptation of the wide open spaces of the centre ground abandoned by Labour but I don't think that was necessary to win against the car crash that is Labour. Competent government is enough to win all of the centre ground at the moment. The problem is, as David points out, is that it is so easy to be distracted by rubbernecking what is going on in the other carriageway.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I suggested that weeks ago! It seems so obvious, it'd be a horrible mess - but frankly it couldn't be worse that what we have now. :open_mouth:
    Scott_P said:

The obvious next step is to appoint a separate leader of the PLP. There are models in other countries where sister parties separate the role of party leader and parliamentary leader, but this is not a party reform – it is a simple seizure of power, a coup.

Remember that the role of Opposition is a parliamentary one. If the Parliamentary Labour Party declared no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the PLP and replaced him with their own choice of parliamentary group leader then things would change.

Let Corbyn attend as many Stop The War demonstrations and meetings of the activist grassroots movement Momentum as he wants – he would have plenty of time as he wouldn’t have shadow cabinet to attend or Prime Minister’s Questions to attend to.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12021977/Labour-MPs-have-only-one-option-a-mutiny.html

I'm

As the in-house Cypriot-Turk/Boggtrotter:

Please can we STFU about turkey (and goose)! Duck is much nicer for a Xmas meal....

In my family we traditionally had chicken, beef and pork available for the meal, though personally I'd go for lamb. If poultry is the required thing, I've never had duck so good I thought it better than good old chicken.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited November 2015
    Morning.

Given that the topics still seem to be Syria & Syria, may I ask:

a) The Hennessy? Am I mad to think the Bob's Worth comeback will continue?
    b) Does anyone think Fury will last further than Rd. 3?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited November 2015

Salary sacrifice pension contributions seem to be under threat as well. Maybe there will be a thread from one of the savings and pensions experts about where Osborne is going with this.

Interesting, and slightly worrying. If it is stopped though, seeing as my company contributes to my DC pension - how on earth come 2048 will one be able to split out the taxed and untaxed income into my pot.

New DC schemes to be taxed at source perhaps.

That will absolubtely hammer 2065+s pensioners, but its a long way off I suppose. It'd be a very poor step.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,363
    I usually respect John McTernan but his suggestion strikes me as a bit nuts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12021977/Labour-MPs-have-only-one-option-a-mutiny.html
    :lol:
    Scott_P said:

@Maomentum_: The long road to power is littered with the corpses of the Parliamentary Labour Party.

Is a 1 in 3 kill rate good or bad?
    Where does 1 in 3 come from?

'Missions' will include refuelling flights, and operations where no munitions were released.....but why don't you ask the Labour MP quoting the figures?
    LOL, most of the halfwit Labour MP's are Tories, no room for all of them in the Tory party but they are making a good job of wrecking Labour for sure. Any trough will do.
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

He's making hodges seem calm and balanced about Corbyn?

*titters*

Mr. Moses, some say Corbyn and McDonnell are showing their lighter side by recording a cover song to promote their politics, whilst also reflecting their position in the PLP. Apparently it's going to be called I Think We're Alone, Mao.

• Mr. Pulpstar, not only that, axing ISAs would piss off a lot of people.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,363
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I don't disagree with the analysis but the way forward he suggests of having 2 leaders is crackpot.
  • Mr. Jim, hey, *I* suggested a diarchy a few days ago!
    TOPPING said:

Morning.

Topping , I think he will be very lucky to beat Saphir Du Rheu who looks as if he will go to the very top.
  • For anyone doubtful about the OBR's latest forecast here's the one for the 2010 Budget:

http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/wordpress/docs/junebudget_annexc.pdf

I'm sure its a coincidence that their forecasts always seem to match Osborne's requirements.

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Fair enough...

Nice try at evasion.

MalcolmG .... It's not me calling someone "a liar" and "a halfwit" it is you. So back to the original question, I simply asked you to provide evidence to back up your statements so we could all make our minds up.

You do have that evidence don't you? Please say you do being as you came on here this morning throwing dispersions around and ranting about someone's truthfulness and even the state of their psychological character?

Sadly, I suspect not and this is just yet another example of your type of interventions on here.
    Past history proves these politicians are economical with the truth. For sure they are doctored numbers made up by some halfwit to justify us wasting hundreds of millions on jingoistic F***wittery.

Mr. Pulpstar, not only that, axing ISAs would piss off a lot of people.

The interest rate changes make cash ISAs pretty much null and void, mind. Taxing salary swap DC pension schemes at source on the salary foregone would mean an immediate £50/month paycut for myself (I think). It'd also cost my employer another £50/month. It'd be an administrative (And political) nightmare for the Gov't to do with people on existing schemes, so not sure it will happen.
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

McTernen is a real nutter
  • Cutting Short money to opposition parties seems to have gone largely unremarked, though Richard Nabavi flagged it up shortly after Osborne sat down.

All things considered: I think this is the 'unknown unknown' in the "Autumn Statement":

That sounds very concerning.

And quite a contrast to the largesse being given to current pensioners.

I still prefer chicken - it's yummy. Turkey is too fibrous, goose disappointingly bland and oozes pints of fat, whilst stronger meats just don't go with sage/opinion stuffing.

My hubbie used to make the most marvellous mini chickens out of stuffing that looked really cute lined up on the plate and were just the right shape to go crispy on the outside.
    kle4 said:

I'm

As the in-house Cypriot-Turk/Boggtrotter:

In my family we traditionally had chicken, beef and pork available for the meal, though personally I'd go for lamb. If poultry is the required thing, I've never had duck so good I thought it better than good old chicken.
  • Mr. Pulpstar, indeed, but ISAs are, I would guess, far more common (and understood) than DC schemes.

A DC change would seriously piss off a relatively small number of people. An ISAs change would look bad to a much larger number. Well, that's my guess.

And if he does both, that's just a double helping of contempt.

There is clearly a plan. If there would be interest in such a thread, I could write one. I'd suggest waiting for a quieter political period though.

Mr. Pulpstar, indeed, but ISAs are, I would guess, far more common (and understood) than DC schemes.

A DC change would seriously piss off a relatively small number of people. An ISAs change would look bad to a much larger number. Well, that's my guess.

And if he does both, that's just a double helping of contempt.

MD, I thought DC was compulsory nowadays for all workers.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited November 2015
    F1: BBC livefeed suggesting Lauda and Wolff have had a significant falling out over the engines to Red Bull saga, and that Lauda may even quit after the race.

Edited extra bit: Mr. G, it's possible I'm confusing DB and DC schemes :pensive: ... in fact, I think you're right. Ahem.

Well, that just makes it even worse.

A DC change would seriously piss off a relatively small number of people.

I'm really not sure about that, most of the working country are on DC schemes pensions wise.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Fair enough...

Nice try at evasion.

Past history proves these politicians are economical with the truth. For sure they are doctored numbers made up by some halfwit to justify us wasting hundreds of millions on jingoistic F***wittery.
    So still no links. Ok we will take that as a No then in regard to the original statement that you made. I was asking solely about this claim you referred to not anything before. You might be right....you might be wrong. Who knows.

I suggest before you shoot in these rants of liar and halfwit you at least have something to back them up with because as sure as eggs is eggs, someone on here will call you out and as this time, you will be found wanting.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Salary sacrifice seems to be something enjoyed by a relatively small minority of people.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

From the Telegraph:

' UK growth was dampened by a record drag from weak trade in the third quarter, putting the spotlight on Britain's unbalanced recovery.

Britain's trade deficit - or the gap between UK imports and exports - almost doubled in the third quarter, to £14.2bn. This reflected a jump in imports, which rose by 5.5pc over the period compared with a 2.7pc fall in the second quarter.

The drag from trade was enough to knock 1.5 percentage points off growth in the third quarter, which represented its weakest contribution since records began in 1998.

However, this decline was more than offset by an increase in consumer spending and investment, which pushed up domestic demand growth at the fastest pace in two years. '

Now we all know about the complete failure of the 'March of the Makers' proclaimed by Osborne in his 2011 Budget, lets see how his 2012 Budget plan to double UK exports to a trillion pounds by 2020 is proceeding:

2011 UK exports = £497bn

UK exporters have the inconvenience of operating in the real world with real customers and real competitors and real goods and services and real money.

And they aren't allowed to 'discover' endless billions to make the books add up.

If you had any experiencing in exporting you would know that it takes years to build a presence in overseas markets. It's unrealistic to expect results today on a policy pronouncement in 2011. It's not just exporting, as a country we need to make more of what we import.

• Most awaited album of all time...?*

* Sans the new SOAD one. :)
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Morning.

Topping , I think he will be very lucky to beat Saphir Du Rheu who looks as if he will go to the very top.
    Is the obvious choice I agree just not sure about the value there.
  • Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, not only that, axing ISAs would piss off a lot of people.

The interest rate changes make cash ISAs pretty much null and void, mind. Taxing salary swap DC pension schemes at source on the salary foregone would mean an immediate £50/month paycut for myself (I think). It'd also cost my employer another £50/month. It'd be an administrative (And political) nightmare for the Gov't to do with people on existing schemes, so not sure it will happen.
    In a few years you'll see endless legal adverts relating to pensions.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    MikeK said:

Given that ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia, wouldn't it be easier for terrorists to get tourist visas and come by regular plane?
    That Mail skit is very funny
    ‘Great Teacher, Great Leader, Great Commander, Great Helmsman,’ reads the legend on Oxford Street’s colossal picture of the suspiciously youthful-looking Ken Livingstone, now installed as Mayor of London for life.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3336942/Chairman-Corbyn-s-Maoist-Britain-Clarkson-education-camp-giant-posters-people-s-hero-Diane-Abbott-compulsory-ping-pong-historian-s-brilliantly-witty-chilling-vision-future.html#ixzz3smKScvFh
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

From the Telegraph:

2011 UK exports = £497bn

Good points, Mr. Richard. I think one of the reasons why Osborne has been able to get away with his dreadful stewardship of the economy (to say nothing of ignoring his own targets) is because far too many people are focused on GDP figures. It is "growth" that matters and nothing else - as long as we have "growf" especially more "growf" than other EU countries people seem content. This is of course daft and a dereliction of responsibility by Osborne, but he has been, and still is, able to get away with it.

There are very people, even on here where you would think the level of discussion would be higher than in the Daily Mail, who are prepared to point out that perhaps Osborne is not doing a good job in rebalancing the economy.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Well-argued piece as always - I'm too far from Osborne's outlook to comment usefully, but the statement did seem reactive rather thasn considered.

By the way, Merkel's poll ratings seem to be recovering a bit, though the AfD are still doing pretty well:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Cutting Short money to opposition parties seems to have gone largely unremarked, though Richard Nabavi flagged it up shortly after Osborne sat down.

There is clearly a plan. If there would be interest in such a thread, I could write one. I'd suggest waiting for a quieter political period though.
    There hasn't been a quiet moment since May thanks to the Corbyn revolution. It is getting a bit exhausting,
    edited November 2015
    @Alastair_Meeks I'm guessing the Gov't has realised just how much tax foregone mandatory pensions will cost them. Stopping salary sacrifice for new entrants seems to be the only realistic political course of action to me- if that is the path chosen...
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited November 2015
    perdix said:

From the Telegraph:

2011 UK exports = £497bn

If you had any experiencing in exporting you would know that it takes years to build a presence in overseas markets. It's unrealistic to expect results today on a policy pronouncement in 2011. It's not just exporting, as a country we need to make more of what we import.

I work for an exporting business.

Address your comments to Osborne.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sterling is 30% higher against the Euro than it was in 2011.

Wait until Mike goes on holiday.

Is always quiet in the world of politics when he's on holiday.
    chestnut said:

Yes, we know. That's because the Eurozone is piss poor at running the economy. It's unfortunate, but not really George's fault.
    Oh dear, how sad, nevermind.
    Shocking moment Islamist rebel fighter and cameraman filming propaganda video are wiped out by an Assad regime shell in Syria

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
    Ajnad al-Sham fighter shown making a speech to camera before shell strikes
    Syrian Cameraman Ahmed Abu Hamza, from Hama, killed alongside fighter
    Both men can be heard screaming at the end of the short video footage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3336678/Shocking-footage-moment-Islamist-rebel-fighter-cameraman-wiped-Assad-regime-shell-Syria.html#ixzz3smM4sqlQ
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    It is very unwise to get into a heated discussion on the basis of preliminary trade data. They are of extremely little value in judging the real trend in trade volumes. Indeed, they are volatile enough from period to period to support almost any pre-existing position an observer might take.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Exactly. A lot of what we are doing is providing support for other air forces and ground forces. Tornados, Reapers, and Sentinel can all perform reconnaissance and surveillance missions. Despite the never ending moaning about defence we actually have a lot of good kit and capabilities second only to the US.
    edited November 2015
    The superb Michael Deacon hits a home run again here, the whole piece is a hoot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/12021620/How-dare-you-say-students-are-melodramatic.-Thats-one-of-my-triggers.html
    “Good evening, everyone,” began the chairperson. Immediately the hall was up in arms.

“Good evening?” protested a delegate. “What breathtaking cis white male arrogance. How can you stand there, complacently calling it a ‘good’ evening, at a time when the Sun newspaper continues to be published, the Conservative Party is allowed to govern the country merely because it was elected to do so, and the notorious misogynist Germaine Greer is permitted on to university property for no better reason than she’s been invited to speak there?”

“I’m very sorry, sir,” replied the chairperson.

“Sir?” protested the delegate. “What an insensitive assumption. Just because I’m 6’3”, weigh 19 stone and have a beard, you automatically decide I must be a man. We’ve never met. You know nothing about my gender identity.”

“I do apologise, madam,” replied the chairperson.

“Madam?” protested the delegate. “What an insensitive assumption. I’m a man. I was just objecting to the way you assumed I was one.”
    Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Fair enough...

Nice try at evasion.

So still no links. Ok we will take that as a No then in regard to the original statement that you made. I was asking solely about this claim you referred to not anything before. You might be right....you might be wrong. Who knows.

I suggest before you shoot in these rants of liar and halfwit you at least have something to back them up with because as sure as eggs is eggs, someone on here will call you out and as this time, you will be found wanting.
    Hardly, some toerag MP makes up some numbers on a tweet, hardly proof at all. I am saying in my opinion on past history of MP's lies that these numbers are fabricated and a lie. You seem to believe that past proof is not acceptable and are gullible enough to believe a tweet, more pity you and shows why the country is in such a mess when people are so easily taken in that they believe any old rubbish on twitter, it explains a lot.
    We do have a history of bombing civilians....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29441383

Perhaps it would suit the Christmas period.
    edited November 2015
    You're such a tease :(

I guess as nothing has been announced in the budget my (tiny) pension is safe for the moment !
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Given that ISIS is supported by Saudi Arabia, wouldn't it be easier for terrorists to get tourist visas and come by regular plane?
    As someone said it would be far better bombing ISIS munition targets than civilians , however given the facts that would involve us bombing ourselves given we supply their biggest ally and benefactor therefore we will have to make do with civilians.
  • rcs1000 said:

Junior:

Link please.

The superb Michael Deacon hits a home run again here, the whole piece is a hoot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/12021620/How-dare-you-say-students-are-melodramatic.-Thats-one-of-my-triggers.html

“Good evening, everyone,” began the chairperson. Immediately the hall was up in arms.

“Good evening?” protested a delegate. “What breathtaking cis white male arrogance. How can you stand there, complacently calling it a ‘good’ evening, at a time when the Sun newspaper continues to be published, the Conservative Party is allowed to govern the country merely because it was elected to do so, and the notorious misogynist Germaine Greer is permitted on to university property for no better reason than she’s been invited to speak there?”

“I’m very sorry, sir,” replied the chairperson.

“Sir?” protested the delegate. “What an insensitive assumption. Just because I’m 6’3”, weigh 19 stone and have a beard, you automatically decide I must be a man. We’ve never met. You know nothing about my gender identity.”

“I do apologise, madam,” replied the chairperson.

“Madam?” protested the delegate. “What an insensitive assumption. I’m a man. I was just objecting to the way you assumed I was one.”
    Utterly brilliant. I only hope it is not even in parody that accurate, although it would vindicate my lack of social or political engagement at university as being the right choice.

Perhaps it would suit the Christmas period.
    That sounds splendid.

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Is Larry the Downing Street cat actually his familiar (doesn't Osborne also have a cat)? Or perhaps a convenient shape for Mephistopheles to hold whilst he keeps an eye to ensure no backsliding.
    Larry is only a nickname. His real name is Moloch.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind.

Shocking moment Islamist rebel fighter and cameraman filming propaganda video are wiped out by an Assad regime shell in Syria

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
    Ajnad al-Sham fighter shown making a speech to camera before shell strikes
    Syrian Cameraman Ahmed Abu Hamza, from Hama, killed alongside fighter
    Both men can be heard screaming at the end of the short video footage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3336678/Shocking-footage-moment-Islamist-rebel-fighter-cameraman-wiped-Assad-regime-shell-Syria.html#ixzz3smM4sqlQ
    Do we count those as 2 of the 70,000?
  • All this talk of familiars of the upper echelons of the Conservative party, yet it's Labour that are conducting the Salem witch trials.
  • From the BBC:

' By 2020, India will be the world's second largest producer of coal, overtaking the US. And it will be the world's largest importer.

They are not alone. As my colleague David Shukman has been reporting, the Philippines is set to establish 23 new coal fired plants by 2020.

In fact 40% of the 400 gigawatts of generation capacity to be added in Southeast Asia by 2040 will be coal-fired.

And while coal use will decline in the developed economies of the EU and the US, the whiff of sulphur will be rising in Japan, where coal's share of the energy mix by 2030 will increase to 30%. '

Does anyone really think it wise to shut down our coal power stations and to become more dependent upon gas imported from Russia and the Middle East ?

A nice list which shows how much of effect shutting down UK coal power stations will have on world carbon emissions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coal_power_stations

Marina Hyde is very funny today on Ken. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/27/ken-livingstone-labour
    ...As he explained to the Question Time audience on Thursday night, the “7/7 bombers gave their lives” in protest at the actions of a prime minister. I know Ken is happiest in the metaphorical realm of the second world war, so he won’t mind me saying that this was a bit like uncovering a lost peroration of Winston Churchill’s in which he describes the heaviest losses of the Battle of Britain as Hitler’s finest hour.

That said, Ken does appear to regard his gifts as commensurate with those of the man who frequently polls as Britain’s greatest ever leader. Speaking of his fondness for a few drinks – his affinity with newts has always seemed a sledgehammer act of self-satire...
  • chestnut said:

SterlT+

chestnut said:

Correct: But we still have Marque-Senile* posting! Selling disparate coins and FX are two different markets! **

* :sterling-equal-to-the-euro:

** Please do not ask me how I understand Oil-prices (bbl). Alcohol would be my thirst-answer...! :(
  • All this talk of familiars of the upper echelons of the Conservative party, yet it's Labour that are conducting the Salem witch trials.

Stalin's purges and show trials ?

Or Mao's Cultural Revolution.

• taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    George Osborne has shown that, no matter what party you vote for in modern Western Europe, you get social democracy.

• The Grauniad:

About 330 Isis members killed in RAF airstrikes in past year – MoD

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/17/isis-raf-air-strikes-michael-fallon
    edited November 2015
    I reckon John Noble has sold his soul. He's in blinking every TV show I watch. Didn't like him in Sleepy Hollow - that whole S2 thing was weird. And now he's bloody Sherlock's dad.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Larry is only a nickname. His real name is Moloch.
  • glw said:

Exactly. A lot of what we are doing is providing support for other air forces and ground forces. Tornados, Reapers, and Sentinel can all perform reconnaissance and surveillance missions. Despite the never ending moaning about defence we actually have a lot of good kit and capabilities second only to the US.
    There's a fair bit of kit:

10 x MQ-9A Reaper unmanned combat aerial vehicles
    8 x Tornado GR4 strike aircraft
    2 x Hercules C5 transport aircraft
    1 x Sentinel R1 ISTAR aircraft
    2 x Sentry AEW1 AEW&C aircraft
    1 x Atlas C1 transport aircraft
    1 x C-17A Globemaster III transport aircraft
    1 x RC-135W Airseeker reconnaissance aircraft
    1 x Shadow R1 reconnaissance aircraft
    1 x Voyager KC3 tanker aircraft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Shader#cite_note-ISILDeaths2-14

And the French Minister of Defence says our kit would make a difference - but what does he know?
  • The Grauniad:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/17/isis-raf-air-strikes-michael-fallon

That may well be true but it does sound reminiscent of those Pentagon announcements of VC dead which 'showed' that the Vietnam War was going well.

David Icke is looking for lizards in The Establishment. No one can say we don't have variety. Or perhaps Variety.

All this talk of familiars of the upper echelons of the Conservative party, yet it's Labour that are conducting the Salem witch trials.

• FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2015

The Grauniad:

It is not a body-count that matters: It is our capabilty to thwart their actions. Until then we are taming the beast....
  • Do the Labour party intend to count the numbers of members for and against military action in Syria? Do they intend to publish the result? They should remember what Comrade Stalin said.
    "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election. The people who count the votes do."
    That appears to be the impact Iain McNicoll experienced when discovering that Andrew Fisher was slapped on the wrist.

He appears to have been handed *his* decision and told to sign-here.
    dyingswan said:

Do the Labour party intend to count the numbers of members for and against military action in Syria? Do they intend to publish the result? They should remember what Comrade Stalin said.
    "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election. The people who count the votes do."

• taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited November 2015
    Charles Moore is very good today on Osborne's deeply unconservative autumn statement.

The penny is starting to drop.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2015
    dyingswan said:

Do the Labour party intend to count the numbers of members for and against military action in Syria? Do they intend to publish the result? They should remember what Comrade Stalin said.

Anyone can contribute an opinion:

http://www.labour.org.uk/page/s/syria-consultation

Not everyone has had an email with the link

Cynics argue the method targets the internet savvy younger £3 members, while the not on the internet older members will go unheard.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    While Labour play hide and seek the Tories have a problem:
    https://twitter.com/PA/status/670548073907658752
This discussion has been closed.