Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory bullying scandal claims the scalp of ex-party chai

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

I'm getting really depressed about all this talk about suicide.

Can we make fun of the Labour party a bit more?

Thanks.

I agree, though I have to admit I may be calling the Samiritans myself after Chelsea get hammered at Spurs tomorrow
    I'm going tomorrow, Spurs have a habit of messing up clutch games but I'm not sure Chelsea are equipped to cope with Spurs energy at the moment. Mourinho will no doubt park as many buses as he can find.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited November 2015
    I think I've seen pretty much every way that you can end your life, from chemical suicides to jumpers and the one thing I have learned is that it's the people left behind that suffer. Two years ago, a close friend and colleague committed suicide, and we as a group still have difficulty coming to terms with it.
    It's not a scientific study, but I've found that if someone is threatening it, in a stand off with the police, then they don't really want to end their life, they just need someone to listen to them, to help them get through their black time.
    I have a lot of sympathy for people wrestling with the black dog, but I admit that at 4 am on a frozen December morning, standing by at one of our regular "threateners", waiting for him to sober up and decide he's cold and wants to climb back in off his balcony, the words of Derek and Clive do start to sound in your head.....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited November 2015
    I think Labour climbed into the wardrobe and popped out on the wrong side.

Did you hear the one about Labour electing a terrorist-loving, Mao-supporting, England-hating leader?

No joke.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2015

Heart rending. I'm totally pro voluntary euthanasia. I promised my mum I'd help her and bugger the consequences. As it was, her hospice doctors did it instead.

Toms said:

Pulpstar said:

Toms said:
    Why is French demand at 60+ GW when we're at 35 GW - I find that a bit surprising.
    Dunno.

Further to the discussion I find it really upsetting to see an animal or human in a helpless state.
    Yes. I'm also thinking of things like dog fights, bull fights, man fights, torture (mental or physical) & general cruelty. And just mental anguish.
  • Options

Thanks.

I agree, though I have to admit I may be calling the Samiritans myself after Chelsea get hammered at Spurs tomorrow
    I'm going tomorrow, Spurs have a habit of messing up clutch games but I'm not sure Chelsea are equipped to cope with Spurs energy at the moment. Mourinho will no doubt park as many buses as he can find.
    I'll be watching it at home with my two son in laws and four grandsons, all Tottenham crazy.

After watching Spurs hugely impressive crushing of West Ham I'll be watching it from behind the sofa.
  • Options
    I can imagine that *regulars* get a bit Peter and the Wolf.

Suicide by cop seems quite well documented though, not so much here but it does happen.

My A&E acquaintance would sympathise with your experience.

I think I've seen pretty much every way that you can end your life, from chemical suicides to jumpers and the one thing I have learned is that it's the people left behind that suffer. Two years ago, a close friend and colleague committed suicide, and we as a group still have difficulty coming to terms with it.
    It's not a scientific study, but I've found that if someone is threatening it, in a stand off with the police, then they don't really want to end their life, they just need someone to listen to them, to help them get through their black time.
    I have a lot of sympathy for people wrestling with the black dog, but I admit that at 4 am on a frozen December morning, standing by at one of our regular "threateners", waiting for him to sober up and decide he's cold and wants to climb back in off his balcony, the words of Derek and Clive do start to sound in your head.....

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Thanks.

I'll be watching it at home with my two son in laws and four grandsons, all Tottenham crazy.

After watching Spurs hugely impressive crushing of West Ham I'll be watching it from behind the sofa.
    Please don't take this personally but I hope you have a disappointing family lunch. Look on the bright side Spurs might hasten the departure of the man who ruined football.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2015

Thanks.

West Ham were crushed by Watford two weeks earlier. A bi-polar football team this year.
  • Options
    @richardDodd PS Looked at Twitter recently? Sent you something.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Speedy said:

This scandal is huge, if only Simon Danzcuk and Liz Kendall stopped bitching about Corbyn 24/7 people would actually notice it.
    Unfortunately the war between most of the PLP and the Labour party will go on until those MP's get expelled by either the members or the voters.

And to think when this story started in the summer I considered voting for Yvette Copper for leader, and now I'm so angered by the behaviour of the Labour right I want them all expelled.
    Their nasty behaviour caused me to switch to Corbyn, and everyday they are out conspiring to destroy the party simply because their favourite didn't get elected, it makes me even more cross.

It must be rather galling, but those 'bitching' about Jeremy Corbyn goes much further than just Simon Danzcuk and Liz Kendall, just look at the number of comments attributed to 'senior MPs' or 'shadow ministers' - In fact I've not heard Kendall speak since last September.
    I think that she probably suspects that anything sensible that she says will be dismissed as Tory tosh or worse, and be totally counter-productive. "Kendall" is a very bad word to the Corbynistas.
  • Options
    0_o

ISIS video shows fighters kicking each other in the crotch to prepare for battle
    https://t.co/6wh10qQUMb https://t.co/7PonCwMEcP
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited November 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Serious betting question - Is there any chance on God's green earth Wayne Rooney will win SPOTY.

Pretty much certain it will be 1. Murray 2. Hamilton 3. Froome.

TBH, Froome might be a bit of a wild card, the cycling lobby is very well organised but obviously it lacks the casual appeal of Tennis and F1. The Davis Cup might not be Wimbledon but it will be very recently in mind and likely the narrative will be how Murray put aside his chances of more Slams to make sure GB could win it with him and his brother.

Rooney will be nowhere. And I'm fairly sure Ennis won't get top three now.

I'd say Murray is about as certain as Wiggins was in 2012 or Murray was in 2013 or Hamilton was in 2014. Assuming he wins tomorrow, naturally.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

0_o

ISIS video shows fighters kicking each other in the crotch to prepare for battle

They've been watching too much of Johnny English Reborn.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

0_o

They must have read that ball games build team spirit ;)
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

Toms said:
    Why is French demand at 60+ GW when we're at 35 GW - I find that a bit surprising.
    French demand will include Interconnect demand to pretty much every country on its border.
  • Options
    What have you and Heidi had for Thanksgiving?
    Tim_B said:

0_o

• Options

0_o

All that Mail crap needs an antidote. How about

http://www.the1920snetwork.com/streams/index.html
  • Options

Thanks.

Please don't take this personally but I hope you have a disappointing family lunch. Look on the bright side Spurs might hasten the departure of the man who ruined football.

It won't be the end of the world for me because as you say it would hasten the demise of Mourinho the child, I cannot stand him.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm a huge Clarence Frogman fan. 60s but could be so much earlier - I've all his albums. This is such a fantastically stalkerish song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFkiI1x4Jg
    Toms said:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015
    "Nigel Farage urges Tory voters to 'lend' him their vote to defeat Labour at Oldham by-election
    The Ukip leader says the contest is now so close that he would be throwing all the party’s available campaign resources at winning

Some Labour sources have privately warned that defeat in Oldham West and Royton is now conceivable, while others are preparing for Mr Meacher’s majority of 14,700 to be cut to the hundreds. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/12022787/Nigel-Farage-urges-Tory-voters-to-lend-him-their-vote-to-defeat-Labour-at-Oldham-by-election.html
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Tim_B said:

0_o

I had turkey with stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole topped with pecans, green bean casserole, peas, followed by apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

Heidi got some extra fuss and a couple of extra biscuits.

Plus as it's Thanksgiving almost 12 hours of football.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Plato..The Dolomite Hammocks..got it..look more comfy than reality.. bugger to get in and out of..but look like fun
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Charles said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

MikeK said:

Just me letting in a little light on the subject:
    twitter.com/DICS131294/status/670641254804398080

So you believe there should be no standards for goods and services provided to the population?

Idiot. Only a Kipper could find this sort of thing remotely strange.
    Candles are cheap. If you buy a crap one, you'll buy a different brand next time.
    [snip]

The EU sets the standards for goods across the EU. This is agreed and sensible as it is cheaper than each country doing the whole thing themselves (except for those country that moronically maintain a relatively substantial Standard Institute themselves - such as, oh, the UK).
    The BSI makes about £30 million a year off revenue of close to £300m. Well more than 50% of the revenues come from international markets* meaning that it is a significant export earner, and a part of the brand equity of the UK.

Why, exactly, is it moronic to maintain this?

* 54% of revenues come from EMEA - they don't give a breakdown for the UK specifically although Germany, Spain and the Middle East are cited as important markets
    And I can't imagine that agreeing an EU standard actually reduces the time any nation spends (in terms of officials' time at meetings, research etc...) in the process of stand setting over what it would spend in a purely national process. I've had the extremely tedious (and dubious) pleasure of sitting in far too many EU policy meetings. Rather than spreading the load over many nations, it, in my experience, merely duplicates it for many nations and actually makes the process longer in the pursuit of unanimity/consensus.
  • Options
    Private polling klaxon

But Ukip sources disclosed that the party’s latest internal polling suggested the 34-point gap had narrowed to just seven points by this weekend, with Ukip on 35 per cent to Labour’s 42 per cent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/12022787/Nigel-Farage-urges-Tory-voters-to-lend-him-their-vote-to-defeat-Labour-at-Oldham-by-election.html
  • Options
    You're very disciplined. I used to have a wicker laundry basket and filled it with Bonios.

My greyhounds just took one when they fancied it.
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

0_o

Tim_B said:

0_o

I had turkey with stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole topped with pecans, green bean casserole, peas, followed by apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

• Options
    How did Momentum's coach trip from London to Oldham go today?
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anyone who's seriously intending to kill themselves isn't deterred by shopping for paracetamol over a few days or visiting a few more chemists.

True. But every little helps.

From what I recall, the restrictions on the maximum number of paracetamol available from a chemist has reduced its use in suicides.

Which suggests something about "Anyone who's seriously intending to kill themselves isn't deterred by shopping for paracetamol over a few days or visiting a few more chemists" is not quite right and there's some truth in "every little helps" ... there are people who in the past were sufficiently serious about suicide to actually attempt it, who have been put off by the apparently trivial additional barrier of a few visits to the high street. Curious, but folk aren't logical at the best of times, so perhaps not a surprise they aren't logical at the worst.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

viewcode said:

Anyone who's seriously intending to kill themselves isn't deterred by shopping for paracetamol over a few days or visiting a few more chemists.

From what I recall, the restrictions on the maximum number of paracetamol available from a chemist has reduced its use in suicides.

Which suggests something about "Anyone who's seriously intending to kill themselves isn't deterred by shopping for paracetamol over a few days or visiting a few more chemists" is not quite right and there's some truth in "every little helps" ... there are people who in the past were sufficiently serious about suicide to actually attempt it, who have been put off by the apparently trivial additional barrier of a few visits to the high street. Curious, but folk aren't logical at the best of times, so perhaps not a surprise they aren't logical at the worst.
    I know it has been done with the best of intentions, but it is ludicrous that you cannot buy more than a 10 pack of Lemsip (or equivalent) from tesco.com (other online stores are available)
  • Options
    Being seriously serious about ending it all requires more than a trivial restriction. I'm not surprised that Rescue Me unintended fatalities have declined by making binge paracetamol taking less likely.

That's all well and good. But serious planners aren't deterred.

viewcode said:

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I intend to legacy my money to The Samaritans who are superb. No censure, no You're Wrong or trying to medicalise it away.

If any PBer needs a listening ear that has no agenda whatsoever - call them. Great for those dealing with the fall out too.

John_M said:

Good evening all. My Father committed suicide when I was 13. I can look back and see how that one act has ramified through our family for over forty years.

I feel sorry for people who are driven to such desperate measures, I wish there were some practical steps we could collectively take to reduce the numbers.

When I read of the £millions spent on Batman and Yentob then look at those selfless people at the Samaritans I despair.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    @ Plato_Says

Good, but a tad modern perhaps?
  • Options
    I used to do that but Heidi got about 15lbs overweight, so now the biscuits are in the pantry and Heidi has to ask for one. She's now about perfect fighting weight, and her annual bloodwork is perfect again.

You're very disciplined. I used to have a wicker laundry basket and filled it with Bonios.

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

0_o

Tim_B said:

0_o

• Options
    Stop the War (@STWuk) breaks it's silence on Russia's intervention in Syria. They support it.

http://t.co/AbcALJIxrN http://t.co/mPjUojRThz
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Tomorrow's Sunday Times front page: Cameron to order killing of Isis leaders https://t.co/Xj09v8azN3
  • Options
    Regarding this 16 in a pack aspirin thing - if you are male and over 60 presumably your doctor has you on a low dose aspirin regimen (81mg). I get them in bottles of 365 - do they also come 16 to a pack in the UK?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I used to do that but Heidi got about 15lbs overweight, so now the biscuits are in the pantry and Heidi has to ask for one. She's now about perfect fighting weight, and her annual bloodwork is perfect again.

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

0_o

Tim_B said:

0_o

My dog weighs 60kg and doesn't really all that much
  • Options

viewcode said:

Restricting the number of tablets that can be bought may have reduced the use of paracetamol but surely a better question is whether it has reduced the rate of suicides overall -- and the evidence is not compelling.

A quick google finds that suicides had been declining for decades
    http://www.crisis.org.cn/UploadFile/ReadParty/12-Time trends and geographic differences in suicide (E).pdf

but that the decline has now stopped.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_the_United_Kingdom#Statistics
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Being seriously serious about ending it all requires more than a trivial restriction. I'm not surprised that Rescue Me unintended fatalities have declined by making binge paracetamol taking less likely.

viewcode said:

A serial suicide-attempter once told me that she couldn't commit suicide with paracetamol because she was allergic to the antidote. So it had to be aspirin.

She was perfectly serious.
  • Options
    Ah, I can only assume it's a greyhound metabolism thingy - none of mine ever put on weight no matter how many biscuits, sausage rolls or pizza slices they ate.
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

0_o

Tim_B said:

0_o

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Moses_ said:

I wouldn't. I have several friends who've considered it seriously and outside our little band, no one would guess for an instant. It's pride and stoicism and despair all rolled into one.

T

I wouldn't. I have several friends who've considered it seriously and outside our little band, no one would guess for an instant. It's pride and stoicism and despair all rolled into one.

That's what makes it so sad.

Moses_ said:

Re suicide. I moved to a new house not
    The next morning I received a call from another friend and x neighbour to say that he had committed suicide in the car in the garage the previous evening. It was really tragic as he had a lovely wife 4 beautiful young children and I still to this day have no idea why? I do though quite often reflect when the subject arises as now and have never got out of my mind that I must have missed something really obvious when I walked by and perhaps , maybe could have prevented it,

Thanks but all the same you think. .....it really was and is a tragic utter waste of a good person and life that will have implications long after for his family.

The one thing that has struck me here tonight is there is perhaps a dozen people posting at the moment and all of us in one form or another have either directly or indirectly experienced a suicide. That really is quite stunning and i wonder quite how prevalent this is in society as a whole and what we could do about it if anything?

EDITING PROBLEMS _ my reply starts below
    I was thinking much the same thing.

I have 2 people within my own family who have had suicidal thoughts. Thank god both of them talked about how they were feeling and whilst the NHS were absolutely shite for those sort of issues private health insurance proved invaluable.

I have a friend who walked out of a house following a row with his wife and turned his phone off, when he got home the door was off its hinges as the plice had to break in to get to his wife who had made an attempt on her life / cry for help (I don't want to elaborate on that part). My friend was absolutely destroyed by the guilt of what might have been.

Finally, I had a guy living in the road behind mine. I didn't really know him but saw his 2 young kid splaying on the trampoline in garden and I was aware his wife had died of cancer previously, (but long enough ago that he had a new partner). He threw himself under a train, I actually was caught up in this and was hours late getting home and as I drove home I passed his house and saw 2 police cars outside and did wonder why. Next day all became clear. The kids lost both mum and dad, absolutely heartbreaking.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Serious betting question - Is there any chance on God's green earth Wayne Rooney will win SPOTY.

TBH, Froome might be a bit of a wild card, the cycling lobby is very well organised but obviously it lacks the casual appeal of Tennis and F1. The Davis Cup might not be Wimbledon but it will be very recently in mind and likely the narrative will be how Murray put aside his chances of more Slams to make sure GB could win it with him and his brother.

I'd say Murray is about as certain as Wiggins was in 2012 or Murray was in 2013 or Hamilton was in 2014. Assuming he wins tomorrow, naturally.
    I have never understood why Farah never won it. Murray won it in 2013 but somebody wins Wimbledon singles title every year. How many 5000m and 10000m double winner twice [ three times ? ] are there in the world ?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It must be awful to feel that you have to resort to such ends to get the attention you need.

She was clearly being perfectly rational about the consequences. And didn't really want to die - otherwise being allergic to the antidote would suit her ends entirely.
    AnneJGP said:

viewcode said:

A serial suicide-attempter once told me that she couldn't commit suicide with paracetamol because she was allergic to the antidote. So it had to be aspirin.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    AnneJGP said:

viewcode said:

She might want to try "Bufferin". It's supposed to be easier on the stomach.
    Black humour I apologise.
  • Options
    Latest Austrian opinion poll:

Freedom Party 32%
    Social Democrats 22%
    People's Party 20%
    Greens 13%
    NEOS 9%
    Others 4%

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahl_zum_26._Nationalrat_in_Österreich
  • Options
    Stop the War: "We are committed to... the defence of civil liberties."
    http://stopwar.org.uk/about

Nobody seems to have told ISIL about this bit.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Tim_B said:

Regarding this 16 in a pack aspirin thing - if you are male and over 60 presumably your doctor has you on a low dose aspirin regimen (81mg). I get them in bottles of 365 - do they also come 16 to a pack in the UK?

It might be just around here but I haven't been able to buy tablet form half-strength Asprin for a couple of years. Now they are only available as big (choke a horse size) tablets that are to be dissolved in water.
  • Options

Thanks.

I don't think Mourinho will go regardless of what happens. The oligarch has lost interest in football.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I have never understood why Farah never won it. Murray won it in 2013 but somebody wins Wimbledon singles title every year. How many 5000m and 10000m double winner twice [ three times ? ] are there in the world ?
    Didn't Kelly Holmes do the double?

Think the problem with Mo was he was, rightly or wrongly, seen as a plastic Brit.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Muslim.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Thanks.

I don't think Mourinho will go regardless of what happens. The oligarch has lost interest in football.
    That's why he is spending £500m on a new stadium.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Restricting the number of tablets that can be bought may have reduced the use of paracetamol but surely a better question is whether it has reduced the rate of suicides overall -- and the evidence is not compelling.

http://www.crisis.org.cn/UploadFile/ReadParty/12-Time trends and geographic differences in suicide (E).pdf

Doc here - the limits on paracetamol was never supposed to stop those who are determined. People who are determined do not go for overdoses. Very much more a shout for help behaviour of those who cannot cope. What it has done is stop those who are predisposed having a rough few days and trying to end it all. Makes it have to happen over a few days/shops which does make a difference for them. Or even if they do do it, they don't take enough to cause serious liver damage as often which is very hard to treat and can require a transplant.

There are long running debates about whether we should add the antidote to paracetamol. Essentially should those who use responsibly have another substance in them to help the few? Little data on how it works but sound rationale. Most of us who have treated someone regretting their mistake going yellow and slowly dying think it is a no brainer. Paracetamol would become a few pence more expensive a box though! (However government could provide all paracetamol free of charge with the money saved almost)
  • Options
    Are you sure? Following your link gets a Stop the War republication of a Guardian article by Simon Jenkins examining a number of previous bombing campaigns and concluding bombing Syria won't work and it needs boots on the ground. The article was published on both sites in September.

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/bombing-is-immoral-stupid-and-never-wins-wars-syria-is-the-latest-victim
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/18/bombing-immoral-stupid-syria-victim-deaths-drones

Stop the War (@STWuk) breaks it's silence on Russia's intervention in Syria. They support it.

• Options

I don't think anyone who chooses suicide is selfish - often they think they're the problem and are eliminating themselves from being a burden, difficult or whatever. In an odd way, it's very noble.

Without knowing how my Uncle Brian was affected by a train jumper, I'd never considered the impact of such a 100% certain way out.

Fair enough.

Oddly, it isn't a 100% certain way out:

I won't link to them as they can be a bit grizzly, but there are lots of stories of people surviving such attempts, sadly often with life-changing injuries.
    the father of my sons friend was one of the guys who got called to those events.

Absolutely horrific what they see (and yes some survive minus limbs).

He also got called to the Edgeware road bombing and he did talk to me a little about that.

No wonder he sometimes took a stiff drink.

• Options

Private polling klaxon

But Ukip sources disclosed that the party’s latest internal polling suggested the 34-point gap had narrowed to just seven points by this weekend, with Ukip on 35 per cent to Labour’s 42 per cent.

Hmm. Trouble is that Tories would be mad to hasten the demise of Corbyn. Which is a shame as I have a few quid on UKIP in Oldham.
  • Options
    Are the police getting involved in the Conservative Party bullying a young person to commit suicide ? His parents know something.
  • Options
    That's interesting. I can see the upside in that - the downside for the 99% who don't have another agenda is a biggy though

viewcode said:

Doc here - the limits on paracetamol was never supposed to stop those who are determined. People who are determined do not go for overdoses. Very much more a shout for help behaviour of those who cannot cope. What it has done is stop those who are predisposed having a rough few days and trying to end it all. Makes it have to happen over a few days/shops which does make a difference for them. Or even if they do do it, they don't take enough to cause serious liver damage as often which is very hard to treat and can require a transplant.

There are long running debates about whether we should add the antidote to paracetamol. Essentially should those who use responsibly have another substance in them to help the few? Little data on how it works but sound rationale. Most of us who have treated someone regretting their mistake going yellow and slowly dying think it is a no brainer. Paracetamol would become a few pence more expensive a box though! (However government could provide all paracetamol free of charge with the money saved almost)
  • Options

Tim_B said:

It might be just around here but I haven't been able to buy tablet form half-strength Asprin for a couple of years. Now they are only available as big (choke a horse size) tablets that are to be dissolved in water.
    75mgs are available but notoriously more expensive than the 300mg's. Could dissolve them in water and throw 3/4 away. However aspirin has been falling out of favour recently and is secondary prevention only in the UK. I believe it is still primary prevention in the US.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

This has 10k shares so far. Mail readers aren't crying any tears here.

Dramatic footage has emerged online showing a suspected ISIS fighter crying after he was taken prisoner by Kurdish forces in Iraq.

The prisoner does not appear to have any noticeable injuries as he seats in the back of the armoured truck.

Much to the amusement of the Kurdish forces, the prisoner cries and moans loudly as he waits to be taken away.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337295/Not-tough-ISIS-fighter-cries-like-baby-captured-Kurdish-forces.html#ixzz3soUndaHk
    I have heard stories of how some of the IRAs so-called hard men would piss and shit themselves when taken into custody.
    Before the Hunger Strikes they even smeared shit on their prison cell walls.

"Mr. Sands' studio is decorated in a pastel shade of brown. " I find it very soothing and relaxing, he tells me.""
  • Options
    ReallyEvilMuffinReallyEvilMuffin Posts: 65
    edited November 2015

That's interesting. I can see the upside in that - the downside for the 99% who don't have another agenda is a biggy though

viewcode said:

It's like water fluoridation. Should the state intervene?

Here's the (rather old now) paper. It debates for and against. http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1175&context=medpapers
  • Options

Are you sure? Following your link gets a Stop the War republication of a Guardian article by Simon Jenkins examining a number of previous bombing campaigns and concluding bombing Syria won't work and it needs boots on the ground. The article was published on both sites in September.

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/bombing-is-immoral-stupid-and-never-wins-wars-syria-is-the-latest-victim
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/18/bombing-immoral-stupid-syria-victim-deaths-drones

The trouble with these predictions, such as "bombing Syria won't work", is that nobody knows. "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy,”
  • Options
    Thanx for very interesting discussion. Night everyone.
  • Options

Did you hear the one about Labour electing a terrorist-loving, Mao-supporting, England-hating leader?

No joke.

Don't be stupid they wouldn't be that mad........

Oh
  • Options

Private polling klaxon

Hmm. Trouble is that Tories would be mad to hasten the demise of Corbyn. Which is a shame as I have a few quid on UKIP in Oldham.
    Corbynistas can also paint their own picture. Shadow Cabinet members throwing their toys out of the pram stories gives the impression of a thoroughly divided party.

Voters do not like any divided party. Most Labour Party members [ not Tory £3 ers ] would be against bombing whatever some of those shadow cabinet members say.

If they had the courage of their convictions, they should resign or join the Tory party.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

75mgs are available but notoriously more expensive than the 300mg's. Could dissolve them in water and throw 3/4 away. However aspirin has been falling out of favour recently and is secondary prevention only in the UK. I believe it is still primary prevention in the US.
    Thanks, not that I know the difference between secondary and primary prevention. I got told years ago after a DVT to take one half-strength asprin a day and nobody has told me to stop so I still do.

Anyway, as you seem have confessed to being a physician, I am not really sure what to make of your nom-de-plume. Should doctors go under the "ReallyEvil" logo?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

0_o

Tim_B said:

0_o

My dog weighs 60kg and doesn't really all that much
    For a female US bred (not the more substantial and stocky European bred) German Shepherd of Heidi's size, the optimum weight is about 75lbs.
  • Options
    If Corbyn can't carry his party with him on this one, he has to go. His whole political existence is predicated on voting against extending bombing to ISIS in Syria.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Re suicide. I moved to a new house not far from my old one. Very good friends with my then neighbour. I went out in the evening with another friend and was walking back home from the pub. As it happened I walked past my old house and my friends next door.

The next morning I received a call from another friend and x neighbour to say that he had committed suicide in the car in the garage the previous evening. It was really tragic as he had a lovely wife 4 beautiful young children and I still to this day have no idea why? I do though quite often reflect when the subject arises as now and have never got out of my mind that I must have missed something really obvious when I walked by and perhaps , maybe could have prevented it,

Moses_ said:

Re suicide. I moved to a new house not far from my old one. Very good friends with my then neighbour. I went out in the evening with another friend and was walking back home from the pub. As it happened I walked past my old house and my friends next door.

Thanks but all the same you think. .....it really was and is a tragic utter waste of a good person and life that will have implications long after for his family.

The one thing that has struck me here tonight is there is perhaps a dozen people posting at the moment and all of us in one form or another have either directly or indirectly experienced a suicide. That really is quite stunning and i wonder quite how prevalent this is in society as a whole and what we could do about it if anything?
    I've had four clients who've committed suicide. None of them were in their right mind. I once suffered several months of intense depression. I didn't attempt suicide, but it enabled me to see why some people would do.
  • Options

Tomorrow's Sunday Times front page: Cameron to order killing of Isis leaders https://t.co/Xj09v8azN3

Fair enough.
  • Options
    A leadership election for Labour looks imminent to me. Maybe even within days.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    There's going to be some considerable disappointment in the Scotslass crannog tonight then....

:wink:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

If Corbyn refuses to walk such an election would not take place until September 2016.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

There's going to be some considerable disappointment in the Scotslass crannog tonight then....

:wink:
    Has he been spotted delivering prezzies again?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

If Corbyn refuses to walk such an election would not take place until September 2016.
    Not even Jezz could survive almost an entire shadow cabinet walk out.
  • Options
    ReallyEvilMuffinReallyEvilMuffin Posts: 65
    edited November 2015

Tim_B said:

Thanks, not that I know the difference between secondary and primary prevention. I got told years ago after a DVT to take one half-strength asprin a day and nobody has told me to stop so I still do.

Anyway, as you seem have confessed to being a physician, I am not really sure what to make of your nom-de-plume. Should doctors go under the "ReallyEvil" logo?
    Gaming tag that I rather like to use while being anonymous. Secondary prevention is to prevent further episodes. Primary is to prevent any happening in the first place.

Interesting you do that I assume non prescribed - does your GP know you still are to advise whether you should or not? Medicine changes rapidly, and turns over so fast it is unreal. Myocardial Infarctions are case and point - about 5 years before I started there was little you could do other than pain relief. Whilst training everyone was getting thrombolysed. Before I finished PCI was the gold standard and now everywhere has a 24/7 PCI rota... The updates and changes are incredible!
  • Options

justin124 said:

What makes you say that? Can he not just appoint another bunch and carry on?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I would hope not - but am far from convinced. Perhaps a 9/10 month Leadership campaign beckons!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Tim_B said:

The 81mg daily aspirin dose is a stroke prevention thing. At about $6 for a bottle of 365 tablets it's a cheap option.

Obviously if your doctor thinks you are a prime candidate they will prescribe something more.
  • Options

Following defeat in Oldham?
  • Options
    Who the hell is singing the national anthems at Klitchko/Fury?
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

You must have made a fortune backing all of these SPOTY certainties. I think Hamilton was available at 7/1 on the night last year.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Who the hell is singing the national anthems at Klitchko/Fury?

The HBO comments on Fury are quite funny so far.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What a great name for a beauty contest candidate - Miss Oldham. The only one better would be Miss Huddersfield, dropping the H.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    I've laid Wayne Rooney out on Betfair a touch. So long as Murray is top 3 I'll be quids in.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

The 81mg daily aspirin dose is a stroke prevention thing. At about $6 for a bottle of 365 tablets it's a cheap option.

Obviously if your doctor thinks you are a prime candidate they will prescribe something more.
    This is where you need to be careful with recent updates - aspirin used to be more widely used. Now we know it has limited use in stroke prevention if you also have AF. If you have a stroke then after the initial treatment then clopidogril is now known the one that is best. If you can't take clopidogril (rare) then aspirin is normally used mixed with dipyridamole. Aspirin is still the first line post MI. Starts getting more tricky if you have had both though...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've laid Wayne Rooney out on Betfair a touch. So long as Murray is top 3 I'll be quids in.

Wayne Rooney should not even have a regular place in the United side.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

The trouble with these predictions, such as "bombing Syria won't work", is that nobody knows. "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy,”
    We can get a pointer from what the bombing in Iraq has, or has not, achieved. Iraqi and Iranian forces retook Tikrit from iSIS back in April; although there was purposefully little allied bombing directly in support, it is claimed the bombing pinned down ISIS fighters elsewhere, helping the government forces (who were reportedly reluctant for US help)

Ramadi, which ISIS captured in May after a six-month battle, is now encircled by government troops, and is believed to have been cut off from outside support. Again, there has been limited air support, but reports of some potentially useful targeted attacks.

So it looks as if, in battles itself, some of the groups fighting are reluctant to ask for US help (the Iraqi government itself is less so). That does not mean that strikes to destroy and interrupt ISIS supply lines away from the front are useless.

So, potentially a mixed picture that everyone can find something in to back up their position ...

Incidentally, for anyone wanting to read what happens after a city like Tikrit is recaptured from IS, then the Wiki entry for the second battle of Tikrit is sombre reading for all sorts of reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Tikrit#Clearing_the_city
  • Options

justin124 said:

Really ? What makes you so sure ? Remember thanks to the Tories reducing the number of seats to 600, there will be "automatic" reselection in virtually every constituency. What will happen then to the bomb-lovers ?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

What a great name for a beauty contest candidate - Miss Oldham. The only one better would be Miss Huddersfield, dropping the H.
    In some parts of the US they'd probably re-name Oldham as Youngham because it sounds better.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286

justin124 said:

Why not?

He doesn't care about formalities / convention etc.

He is interested in one thing ONLY - his "people" taking over the Labour Party.

Whatever happens doesn't matter - he'll say he has the support of members and he will plough on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited November 2015
    This should boost Labour in the polls

@JamesTapsfield: So looks like two pronged counter-offensive on TV tomorrow with Corbyn on Marr & McDonnell on Murnaghan

• Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

This is where you need to be careful with recent updates - aspirin used to be more widely used. Now we know it has limited use in stroke prevention if you also have AF. If you have a stroke then after the initial treatment then clopidogril is now known the one that is best. If you can't take clopidogril (rare) then aspirin is normally used mixed with dipyridamole. Aspirin is still the first line post MI. Starts getting more tricky if you have had both though...
    You're overthinking this, besides being a show-off.

Most doctors here will automatically put males with no symptoms of AF or incidence of MI over 55-60 onto 81mg daily aspirin as a preventative. That's it. That's all I said.

Throwing out abbreviations most people won't know and drug names for no reason and unasked doesn't make you look good.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

In some parts of the US they'd probably re-name Oldham as Youngham because it sounds better.
    Or Melontown......
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    I rather think Labour have provided enough political entertainment in recent months, so as fun as that would be, I hope not. Time for them to get serious, and given the membership adores JC, apparently, that means getting behind him, or at least not scuppering him, until such time as he crashes and burns.
  • Options

justin124 said:

What makes you say that? Can he not just appoint another bunch and carry on?

Corbyn lacks intelligence, self-awareness and political cunning. He is shameless and he is determined. He sees the PLP in general and the shadow cabinet specifically as enemies. He will only go when NickP and the rest of the Labour membership tire of the perennial and humiliating defeat that being led by apologists for terrorism and murder inevitably delivers.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

You're overthinking this, besides being a show-off.

Most doctors here will automatically put males with no symptoms of AF or incidence of MI over 55-60 onto 81mg daily aspirin as a preventative. That's it. That's all I said.

Throwing out abbreviations most people won't know and drug names for no reason and unasked doesn't make you look good.
    Anyone who has been put on those medications who is savvy enough to be on a forum like this will understand those abbreviations. Also in the UK without any sort of preceding event they will not be put on aspirin.

All I am trying to do is suggest to people that the evidence may have changed since they had been started on medications/advised them and it might be a good idea to check in with their GP/Family physician.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I rather think Labour have provided enough political entertainment in recent months, so as fun as that would be, I hope not. Time for them to get serious, and given the membership adores JC, apparently, that means getting behind him, or at least not scuppering him, until such time as he crashes and burns.
    Is causing me stress, so far this week, Mike, Alastair and I have written five threads, that have been culled because the Corbyn clusterfuck just keeps on getting worse & worse and superseded our threads.

I want a few months of boring politics thank you very much.
This discussion has been closed.