Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Imagine what next Monday’s PLP meeting is going to be like

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    His brother appears to have received many more braincells. I don't agree with his politics either, but he does run his own pretty successful business and not feed from the AGW trough either.

dr_spyn said:
    And yet another live on air pile up. Corbyn is not just useless, he has surrounded himself with a team of people like Red Ken that will only make things even worse. No wonder he only managed 2 E's at A-Levels, despite attending one of the countries best state schools.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

One thing I find confusing is why such a high percentage of Labour hawks seem to be on its front bench. Jeremy Corbyn seems to have proportionately more Labour MPs willing to follow him on Syria on his backbenches than around the shadow cabinet table.

Because the party has been moving leftwards with the 2010 and 2015 intakes, who are less likely to have made it to Shadow Cabinet level.
    Seems like the shadow cabinet has won the battle..................
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    geoffw said:

I'm glad I (Tory scum) voted tactically for Ian Murray.

Edinburgh South was the only Scottish seat I was backing Labour in :D It was quite the money earner as it bought in the tie bets too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But not necessarily the war*

* (the Labour war, not the ISIS one).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing I find confusing is why such a high percentage of Labour hawks seem to be on its front bench. Jeremy Corbyn seems to have proportionately more Labour MPs willing to follow him on Syria on his backbenches than around the shadow cabinet table.

Because the party has been moving leftwards with the 2010 and 2015 intakes, who are less likely to have made it to Shadow Cabinet level.
    I'm far from convinced that they've won the war. If you want to move against your leader, try to choose a subject where you're more in tune with your supporters' opinion than he is.
  • Options
    Well done, Sir.
    geoffw said:

I'm glad I (Tory scum) voted tactically for Ian Murray.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    TGOHF said:

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 17m17 minutes ago
    Ken Livingstone repeateldy refuses to apologise on @VictoriaLIVE for remaks about 7/7 bombers

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 18m18 minutes ago
    Ken Livingstone told on @VictoriaLIVE to resign from front line Labour politics by shad cabinet member Ian Murray

Livingstone defended his 'gave their lives' comments on the Today programme this morning.

Anyone choosing to defend him, Corbyn and his other acolytes are scum, the real enemies within. Looking at a certain ex MP.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2015

Maybe there's some sort of correlation between capability/intelligence and recognising the need for strikes?

Would explain the SNP position too.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Roger said:

Anyone who thinks a UKIP victory in Oldham will be good for Labour-even the Labour of your dreams-is completely nuts. We'd end up having a new two party system-the Tories on the right and the 'Powellites' on the ultra right

You don't think the kippers winning Oldham might be a firm enough kick up the Labour Party's backside that they might start to consider a change in leader ? God forbid they actually increase their majority in Oldham, you will be stuck with him forever "Its working! Just one more push comrades!"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

WRT Corbyn, I think there's a secular version of "Better the turban than the mitre" at work.

From what I can tell on social media, Corbyn's supporters would rather see the Conservatives in power than any recent Labour leader.
  • Options
    For Call of Duty fans...
    Real life Call of Duty: Jihadists attach go-pro to a TANK and a drone to film terrifying propaganda video of battle against Iranian forces

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3340623/Real-life-Call-Duty-Jihadists-attach-pro-tank-drone-film-terrifying-propaganda-video-battle-against-Iranian-forces.html
  • Options
    Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that a very sizeable chunk of Labour MPs (say 50) decide that SDP mk II is the only viable route out of this for them.

When would they be best advised to make this move? Both in strictly chronological terms, and in terms of what event they should use as provocation?
  • Options

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that a very sizeable chunk of Labour MPs (say 50) decide that SDP mk II is the only viable route out of this for them.

When would they be best advised to make this move? Both in strictly chronological terms, and in terms of what event they should use as provocation?

Trident
  • Options

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

The man who will never resign on principle, because he has none:
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/671598999980408832

Even if someone likes Corbyn, how could they believe that given the shambles this week?
    He's said what he thinks, reflecting the views of most members, encouraged members to get involved but condemned any harassment by social media etc, and accepted the right of MPs to disagree. Sure, he didn't win over a majority of the Shadow Cabinet, because he'd chosen it to be inclusive and that meant reflecting the centrist majority in the PLP. But he's done exactly what I voted for, with a quiet dignity that contrasts with some of his semi-anonymous critics. He has objective problems with persuading both the PLP and the wider public, but I don't expect him to do more than try, using polite, persistent argument. I'd vote for him again in a heartbeat.

I particularly admire the quiet and dignified way in which Jezza has surrounded himself with apologists for murder and terrorism. The likes of Seamus Milne, Ken Livingstone, John McDonnell and Dianne Abbott really are a quiet and dignified credit to the man who has appointed them so quietly and in such a dignified way to positions of responsibility within the Labour party. After all, who disagrees with the idea that in killing tens of millions of Chinese Mao did more good than harm? Who did not want the IRA to bomb their way to a united Ireland? Who does not share the notion that those responsible for the 7/7 attacks selflessly gave their lives in protest at the invasion of Iraq? I'll tell you who - only those who are not quiet and dignified. No wonder voters are flocking to embrace this new politics.

Nick Palmer was an MP once and stood for Parliament in May. Mind boggling, isn't it?

I see it's not just me that finds Corbynite Labour actively repulsive.

Repulsive, contemptible and thick, I'd say. But ever so quiet and dignified. With a gentle and sad resignation Mao ordered the killing of millions of Chinese. It was good for them, after all.

Thick is the word that comes to my mind. Mr Palmers views are risible. He spouts about how calm and reasonable Corbyn is but ignores all the vile and spiteful plotting and arm twisting and intimidation by Momentum/Stopthewar. He also ignores the attempt to get the NEC to twist MPs arms.
    Labour look stuffed from here to me. Split whether Corbyn stays or goes. It looks easier to sort out Syria post Assad.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Pulpstar said:

I'm far from convinced that they've won the war. If you want to move against your leader, try to choose a subject where you're more in tune with your supporters' opinion than he is.
    Oh but they are. The voters who elected the MPs are supportive of action to target ISIS in Syria. It is Corbyn and his 'mandate' that aren't.

People have to stop buying Corbyn's line that it is his mandate that matters. It isn't.

It is real voters who do - the ones who elect MPs. And if Corbyn persists for much longer, there won't be a safe Labour seat left.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Plato_Says

'I saw some pathetic argument on Sky on Monday about the shortage of Indian chefs and how we ought to import more. Why don't they train some then?

It's not beyond the wit of man to train up people who aren't Indian to make curries.'

Agree, a very large proportion of 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are in fact Bangladeshi run and as the film clip showed not a female to be seen in the kitchen area or restaurant.
  • Options

Some of the Shadow Cabinet will have been in government when similar matters came up, and they will have had more security briefings too (over time). That might tend to make them more hawkish, too.
  • Options
    Trident.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Surely not. They hold one Scottish constituency, but must have at least one more Scottish born MP?

They do
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken Livingstone repeateldy refuses to apologise on @VictoriaLIVE for remaks about 7/7 bombers

Ken Livingstone told on @VictoriaLIVE to resign from front line Labour politics by shad cabinet member Ian Murray

Livingstone defended his 'gave their lives' comments on the Today programme this morning.

Anyone choosing to defend him, Corbyn and his other acolytes are scum, the real enemies within. Looking at a certain ex MP.
    I used to like Livingstone, but he seems very bitter thesedays, even a little nasty. Has he changed or have I, I wonder? Corbyn I can see people defending much easier. He at least seems to present as personally affable, not an angry ranter, though I'm sure on certain topics he can rant with the best of them (in spots, a rant can be a good thing)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

'I saw some pathetic argument on Sky on Monday about the shortage of Indian chefs and how we ought to import more. Why don't they train some then?

It's not beyond the wit of man to train up people who aren't Indian to make curries.'

Agree, a very large proportion of 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are in fact Bangladeshi run and as the film clip showed not a female to be seen in the kitchen area or restaurant.

According to today's paper there was a government backed attempt to do just this and after a four week recruitment drive, they had just two people interested in the course.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/12025953/Immigration-rules-are-causing-a-curry-crisis.html
    There have been government-led attempts to attract British chefs to curry colleges, while owners have hired Poles and Romanians to churn out chicken birianis and lamb vindaloos. But these largely flopped; typical was a recent four-week campaign to drum up 16 recruits for a course in east London that attracted only two applicants. East Europeans often fail to stick around long, given the range of other jobs on offer. So the result is a curry crisis, threatening something that has become as identifiably British as fish and chips.
  • Options

Depends how you define supporters

Labour MPs may be out of tune with Momentum members, but they are more in tune with their constituents
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited December 2015
    taffys said:

On the immigration issue, I read today the UK has a soaring skills gap with more than one million vacancies going unfilled (source: City AM).

We surely have to ask why other countries are churning out people better suited to employment, often at a fraction of the cost of our education system.

As I mentioned on here a week or two back some of the so hard to get skills which qualify for a Tier 2 (no questions asked, well hardly any) visa are for very ordinary jobs that employers over here could, and in the past would, train our own young people to do (e.g. welder).

Alas, the problem is that too many executives are chasing the quick buck, refusing to invest in the long term future of their business and dumping the bill on the taxpayer. The reliance on cheap imported labour is part of this, see also UK abysmal productivity.

I think Osborne's new apprentice levy is a step in the right direction (for political purposes it is an idea he has nicked from Labour - it was first mooted on here many years ago by Nick Palmer when he was still an MP) but it doesn't go far enough. Slap a supplementary income tax of, say 10%, on all directors and senior managers whose firms/agencies do not participate in a recognised training scheme for their industry and we shall see some action on both skill shortages and productivity.
  • Options
    @Maomentum_: Jeremy Corbyn orders @andyburnhammp to spend day writing £3 refund cheques.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited December 2015

Trident.

Anyone who enjoys this site should buy the LRB this week. VERY good review of Moore's second volume of the Thatcher biog. It ends by suggesting how comfortable the Tory party are against a pro-nuclear disarmament Labour leadership.
  • Options
    Its fascinating how different political characters are seen. I think passive-aggressive angry pigeon when I see Corbyn.

He surrounds himself with agit-prop nasties and terrorism apologists. I've nothing but contempt for him.

McIRA has silker tones and a better dress sense -but he's cut from the same cloth and they're BFFs along with Ken.
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

I used to like Livingstone, but he seems very bitter thesedays, even a little nasty. Has he changed or have I, I wonder? Corbyn I can see people defending much easier. He at least seems to present as personally affable, not an angry ranter, though I'm sure on certain topics he can rant with the best of them (in spots, a rant can be a good thing)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken lost to Boris.

Twice.

• Options

Trident
    SDP mk II would be an admission of failure. And going over Trident would make any link-up with the peacenik Lib Dems at a later date problematic (and would be giving up on Scotland).

If the decision is made to break, it would be better to do so actively rather than reactively, putting forward a short manifesto beforehand. Since Limehouse is now Corbynista central, perhaps the potential rebels might issue a Streatham Declaration?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

With Corbyn leading the Labour party, Livingstone and others no longer have to keep up the pretence. The disguises have fallen away to reveal the true nastiness within.
  • Options
    Mr. F, splendid historical reference, and fitting too.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

The man who will never resign on principle, because he has none:
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/671598999980408832

Even if someone likes Corbyn, how could they believe that given the shambles this week?

I particularly admire the quiet and dignified way in which Jezza has surrounded himself with apologists for murder and terrorism. The likes of Seamus Milne, Ken Livingstone, John McDonnell and Dianne Abbott really are a quiet and dignified credit to the man who has appointed them so quietly and in such a dignified way to positions of responsibility within the Labour party. After all, who disagrees with the idea that in killing tens of millions of Chinese Mao did more good than harm? Who did not want the IRA to bomb their way to a united Ireland? Who does not share the notion that those responsible for the 7/7 attacks selflessly gave their lives in protest at the invasion of Iraq? I'll tell you who - only those who are not quiet and dignified. No wonder voters are flocking to embrace this new politics.

Nick Palmer was an MP once and stood for Parliament in May. Mind boggling, isn't it?

I see it's not just me that finds Corbynite Labour actively repulsive.

Repulsive, contemptible and thick, I'd say. But ever so quiet and dignified. With a gentle and sad resignation Mao ordered the killing of millions of Chinese. It was good for them, after all.

Thick is the word that comes to my mind. Mr Palmers views are risible. He spouts about how calm and reasonable Corbyn is but ignores all the vile and spiteful plotting and arm twisting and intimidation by Momentum/Stopthewar. He also ignores the attempt to get the NEC to twist MPs arms.
    Labour look stuffed from here to me. Split whether Corbyn stays or goes. It looks easier to sort out Syria post Assad.
    Not thick. Denial. NPXMPX2 is far from thick. But he is super absolutely totally in denial. Plus who wouldn't want to regress to more comfortable days.

He will take some time to find himself again and, I would imagine, be embarrassed by his current hiatus.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

According to today's paper there was a government backed attempt to do just this and after a four week recruitment drive, they had just two people interested in the course.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/12025953/Immigration-rules-are-causing-a-curry-crisis.html
    There have been government-led attempts to attract British chefs to curry colleges, while owners have hired Poles and Romanians to churn out chicken birianis and lamb vindaloos. But these largely flopped; typical was a recent four-week campaign to drum up 16 recruits for a course in east London that attracted only two applicants. East Europeans often fail to stick around long, given the range of other jobs on offer. So the result is a curry crisis, threatening something that has become as identifiably British as fish and chips.
    I know a few people who have objected to non 'indian' (or Bangladeshi as may actually be the case in many instances) staff waiting on them or cooking in an Indian restaurant, which I always found a bit odd - it tastes the same after all. I guess they felt it wasn't authentic.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anyone who thinks a UKIP victory in Oldham will be good for Labour-even the Labour of your dreams-is completely nuts. We'd end up having a new two party system-the Tories on the right and the 'Powellites' on the ultra right

You don't think the kippers winning Oldham might be a firm enough kick up the Labour Party's backside that they might start to consider a change in leader ? God forbid they actually increase their majority in Oldham, you will be stuck with him forever "Its working! Just one more push comrades!"
    If the Kippers win in Oldham, I can well imagine Corbynistas claiming that this somehow "proves" that Jim McMahon failed to win because he isn't left-wing enough.
  • Options
    I'd suggest trying a great deal harder in that case or curry houses training some Asian women as well.

It's a pathetic argument.
    Indigo said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Sean_F said:

I saw some pathetic argument on Sky on Monday about the shortage of Indian chefs and how we ought to import more. Why don't they train some then?

It's not beyond the wit of man to train up people who aren't Indian to make curries.

taffys said:

On the immigration issue, I read today the UK has a soaring skills gap with more than one million vacancies going unfilled (source: City AM).

We surely have to ask why other countries are churning out people better suited to employment, often at a fraction of the cost of our education system.

That has to be one of the weaker arguments in favour of mass immigration. Making a curry is hardly rocket science.
    Especially considering the shocking unemployment amongst young males who identify themselves as Pakistani and from Bangladesh.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

But they are treasonous in a quiet and dignified way.

• Options
    Ken's loser speech on the second run was incredibly bitter and ungracious.

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken lost to Boris.

Twice.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Scott_P said:

@Maomentum_: Jeremy Corbyn orders @andyburnhammp to spend day writing £3 refund cheques.

You must be joking.... a poof surely?
  • Options
    Right now, every Labour MP left standing since May is living with the haunting knowledge that they face losing their job, their status, their offices, their staff, their salary and lucrative pensions and expenses in just four and a half years’ time, regardless of what they do.

That is not an enticing prospect. They are wedged between a rock and a hard place and they know it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12026614/Labour-MPs-are-trapped-between-Jeremy-Corbyns-wrath-and-the-voters.html
  • Options

A spoof at any rate...
  • Options
    Will have a looksee. I've just bought the autobiog of art forger Shaun Greenhalgh mentioned in the STimes feature - if it's half as good as the write up - it'll be the best £25 I've spent in a while. I hope my signed copy isn't a forgery!

He was better known as the Bolton Forger - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Greenhalgh
    Mortimer said:

Trident.

Anyone who enjoys this site should buy the LRB this week. VERY good review of Moore's second volume of the Thatcher biog. It ends by suggesting how comfortable the Tory party are against a pro-nuclear disarmament Labour leadership.
  • Options

Ken's loser speech on the second run was incredibly bitter and ungracious.

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken lost to Boris.

Twice.

But bitter and ungracious in a quiet and dignified way.
  • Options

I'd suggest trying a great deal harder in that case or curry houses training some Asian women as well.

Indigo said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Well, tough. If the job is only appealing to people who live in the Third World, the restrateurs will just have to offer better wages to attract workers who live in the UK.

Or buy in meals from Brake Bros. and stick them in the microwave.
  • Options
    @wallaceme: Summary of Toynbee's view on Syria: It's difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Indigo said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Sounds like the issue is low wages for curry chefs rather than any 'skill shortage'

• Options

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken lost to Boris.

Twice.

He did increase his vote share the second time though, IIRC. Though I suppose that was down to the LDs.
  • Options

I think Osborne's new apprentice levy is a step in the right direction (for political purposes it is an idea he has nicked from Labour - it was first mooted on here many years ago by Nick Palmer when he was still an MP) but it doesn't go far enough. Slap a supplementary income tax of, say 10%, on all directors and senior managers whose firms/agencies do not participate in a recognised training scheme for their industry and we shall see some action on both skill shortages and productivity.

Some of my friends have kids who finished their A Levels over the summer and are now doing "degrees by apprenticeship". Basically they work for a large firm for 6 or so years as apprentices and they do exams which at the end of the 6 years gives them a degree or equivalent. They get paid, get no student debt and get qualified.

To me it sounds like a winner. I also hope it removes the old stigma about apprenticeships because in these "student loan" days I think apprenticeships are a better option.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

A spoof at any rate...
    Oops! I'll see if it is still editable :blush:

[edit: sadly not. I will have to be more careful before hitting ENTER]
  • Options

Some of my friends have kids who finished their A Levels over the summer and are now doing "degrees by apprenticeship". Basically they work for a large firm for 6 or so years as apprentices and they do exams which at the end of the 6 years gives them a degree or equivalent. They get paid, get no student debt and get qualified.

To me it sounds like a winner. I also hope it removes the old stigma about apprenticeships because in these "student loan" days I think apprenticeships are a better option.

It's a winner all round. There's no benefit at all to be had in running up a debt of £27,000 to get a degree from a university which doesn't have a very good reputation.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

His brother appears to have received many more braincells. I don't agree with his politics either, but he does run his own pretty successful business and not feed from the AGW trough either.

dr_spyn said:
    And yet another live on air pile up. Corbyn is not just useless, he has surrounded himself with a team of people like Red Ken that will only make things even worse. No wonder he only managed 2 E's at A-Levels, despite attending one of the countries best state schools.
    Pardon?

Anthropogenic forcing on the climate is real, it's happening right NOW and it's the BIGGEST issue to confront us all. Every major political organisation in this country acknowledges that AGW is a fact. Can you give me credible scientific evidence that this is NOT happening?

We are already half way there to the 2C increase threshold. This is VERY frightening.

Meanwhile October 2015 was the warmest October ever recorded and 2015 will almost certainly be the warmest year ever recorded following on from 2014 which was at the time the warmest year ever recorded.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201510

• Options

Sounds like a cracking idea to me, too. An engineering firm not participating in such a scheme should be looking at the suitability of their directors and in whose interests those directors are actually working. Perhaps as well as incentivising the directors by an additional income tax HMG could incentivise shareholders by an extra tax on dividends.

Mind you, I'd not get hung up on the degree standard, lots of high skill jobs don't need that and to insist on it risks adding unnecessary learning requirements which benefit nobody except the colleges who will be paid to try and keep apprentices interested (see Tom Sharp's book, "Wilt").
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's a winner all round. There's no benefit at all to be had in running up a debt of £27,000 to get a degree from a university which doesn't have a very good reputation.
    My youngest (18) simply announced that she had no intention of going to Uni. Instead she simply went out and found a job in retail and will work her way up there. She said that she was not going to go through 3 years of hell (she never liked school) and run up a massive debt when she could just work instead.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Every major political organisation in this country acknowledges that AGW is a fact.

Not sure Ukip do.... but you are right - the AGW issue is very very political..
  • Options

We have 70000 moderate allies on the ground including fighters from Narnia, Sylvania, Gondor and the Republic of Gullibilty.

70,000 Makes the 45 minute claim look believable in comparison

No need to worry yourself. Just hide behind the nearest mates. ..! ;)
  • Options
    murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

Anthropogenic forcing on the climate is real, it's happening right NOW and it's the BIGGEST issue to confront us all. Every major political organisation in this country acknowledges that AGW is a fact. Can you give me credible scientific evidence that this is NOT happening?

We are already half way there to the 2C increase threshold. This is VERY frightening.

Meanwhile October 2015 was the warmest October ever recorded and 2015 will almost certainly be the warmest year ever recorded following on from 2014 which was at the time the warmest year ever recorded.

...looks out of window...

Can we have that 2C now please.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Well, tough. If the job is only appealing to people who live in the Third World, the restrateurs will just have to offer better wages to attract workers who live in the UK.

Or buy in meals from Brake Bros. and stick them in the microwave.

This is from last month, my eyes have yet to stop rolling at this.

Curries would be tastier if Britain left EU and let in Asian chefs, claim Tory MPs

Quitting the EU could improve the chicken tikka masala served in Britain’s Indian restaurants, MPs claimed today.

Paul Scully, Tory MP for Sutton and Cheam, said that “Brexit” — a British exit from the European Union — would return control to Britain of its borders and could allow more chefs from Asia to come to this country.

http://bit.ly/1PDBe3h
  • Options

Sounds like a cracking idea to me, too. An engineering firm not participating in such a scheme should be looking at the suitability of their directors and in whose interests those directors are actually working. Perhaps as well as incentivising the directors by an additional income tax HMG could incentivise shareholders by an extra tax on dividends.
    I agree with incentivising it. Maybe then this arbitrary and stupid "50% of all young people going to university" target can finally be discarded and the numbers going actually reflect what the economy needs. I always viewed this target as one of Gordon's wheezes to keep the number of NEETs down.

Mind you, I'd not get hung up on the degree standard, lots of high skill jobs don't need that and to insist on it risks adding unnecessary learning requirements which benefit nobody except the colleges who will be paid to try and keep apprentices interested (see Tom Sharp's book, "Wilt").

I read all the "Wilt" books many years ago. I always felt so sorry for Henry whereas I felt that Eva simply made rods for her own back.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

Britain still not as warm as it was in Roman times though.

The "half-way" to a 2C increase, just means 1C since the last mini ice-age. These time periods are arbitrary.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

I'll give you more than 2C

http://www.karstenhaustein.com/reanalysis/gfs0p5/ANOM2m_europe/ANOM2m_mean_europe.html

Exceptionally mild start to winter across Western Europe....
  • Options

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

The "half-way" to a 2C increase, just means 1C since the last mini ice-age. These time periods are arbitrary.

pish.

Those optical fibre thermometers that were deployed globally in 1850 tell a different story, my friend.
  • Options

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

Those Romans had a lot of heavy industry and burnt a lot of fuel .... maybe?
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, quite. I'm also a bit dubious of the 'on record' claims, given the planet is over 3bn years old and records go back to about 1850.

I'm also sceptical of putting faith of the predictive powers of a group that have gotten their forecasts repeatedly wrong. A few years ago the UK Chief Scientific Officer claimed that at the end of the century Antarctica would be the only habitable landmass on Earth. The hockey stick was fiction. The global warming e-mails from East Anglia did not inspire confidence. The IPCC got their predictions wrong and then increased their confidence in their forecasts from 95% to 99%.

If a tipster here had that record they would not necessarily be taken terribly seriously.
  • Options

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

No the 1C increase is since the late 19th century / early 20th century.

Please read up before quoting facts as real...
  • Options
    It was all those farting lions eating Christians.

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

Those Romans had a lot of heavy industry and burnt a lot of fuel .... maybe?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    @MarkHopkins I wonder what happened to all those vineyards in The Domesday Book. Was it cheaper imports of better wine or climate change which finished them off?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/domesday/world-of-domesday/food.htm
  • Options
    Top trolling by Treasury Ministers

@DavidGauke: Hi @RichardBurgon. Just checking you OK? We're missing you at Treasury questions. On the @STWuk already?
  • Options

Quitting the EU could improve the chicken tikka masala served in Britain’s Indian restaurants, MPs claimed today.

Paul Scully, Tory MP for Sutton and Cheam, said that “Brexit” — a British exit from the European Union — would return control to Britain of its borders and could allow more chefs from Asia to come to this country.

He has obviously not been up Wilmslow Road recently ....

• Options
    For anyone a bit interested in silly science progs - there's a T-Rex autopsy on C5 - I think it's on again this Sunday if you can't get it on demand

http://www.channel5.com/shows/dino-autopsy-t-rex

Mr. Hopkins, quite. I'm also a bit dubious of the 'on record' claims, given the planet is over 3bn years old and records go back to about 1850.

I'm also sceptical of putting faith of the predictive powers of a group that have gotten their forecasts repeatedly wrong. A few years ago the UK Chief Scientific Officer claimed that at the end of the century Antarctica would be the only habitable landmass on Earth. The hockey stick was fiction. The global warming e-mails from East Anglia did not inspire confidence. The IPCC got their predictions wrong and then increased their confidence in their forecasts from 95% to 99%.

If a tipster here had that record they would not necessarily be taken terribly seriously.

• Options

Neither have I. My palate has been Anglicised.
  • Options
    It's amazing how many amateur scientific experts on climate change pb has. Personally, I'd trust them more on practical lingerie management. I prefer to rely on the scientific consensus about anthropogenic global warming for policy-making judgements.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Ken lost to Boris.

Twice.

He did increase his vote share the second time though, IIRC. Though I suppose that was down to the LDs.
    Are those the same infamous LD voters of 2010 that had two votes, one that was going for Labour's Miliband and the other vote to re-elect 50+ LD MPs? This was a maths question I struggled to understand the logic of how they were blessed with two votes. Poor me I just thought they were being counted by mistake twice.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2015
    Corbyn on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine.
  • Options

It's amazing how many amateur scientific experts on climate change pb has. Personally, I'd trust them more on practical lingerie management. I prefer to rely on the scientific consensus about anthropogenic global warming for policy-making judgements.

Indeed and the scientific consensus is almost universal. However in the land of PB, night is day and day is night!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Neither have I. My palate has been Anglicised.
    Easily fixed. When are you inviting me out for a curry? :smiley::smiley:
  • Options

"Antarctic ice floes extended further than ever recorded this southern winter, confounding the world’s most-trusted climate models.
    “It’s not expected,” says Professor John Turner, a climate expert at the British Antarctic Survey. “The world’s best 50 models were run and 95% of them have Antarctic sea ice decreasing over the past 30 years.”
    The winter ice around the southern continent has been growing relatively constantly since records began in 1979."
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/09/why-is-antarctic-sea-ice-at-record-levels-despite-global-warming
    or in 2015
    "A net gain of about 100 billion tons of ice per year, according to the report.
    That increase in ice translates to about a quarter of a millimeter per year less sea level rise than was previously predicted, says lead author Jay Zwally, chief cryospheric scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland."
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151103-antarctic-ice-growing-shrinking-glaciers-climate-change/
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015
    murali_s said:

TOPPING said:

murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Pardon?

I'll give you more than 2C

http://www.karstenhaustein.com/reanalysis/gfs0p5/ANOM2m_europe/ANOM2m_mean_europe.html

Exceptionally mild start to winter across Western Europe....
    That's called weather. There has been no global warming man made or otherwise for 18 years. Even if there had been miniscule warming it would have been at variance with all the so called science that has been spouted.
    CO2 is a nutrient which feeds plant life encourages tree and crop growth and creates oxygen.
    Pollution from brown poor quality coal in places like China is a different thing and has nothing to do with climate.
    Equally the noxious gasses pumped out by diesels instead of CO2 and in the name of saving the planet are a different thing and forced on us by bogus science.

Its a scam, originally perpetrated by bogus new age communist Canadian, Maurice Strong with his lackies at the Rio Summit. Everyone in favour of it is in it for the money, the grants the subsidies and of course the travelling expenses. Third world countries are in it for the massive gifts of cash from the first world which they hope to screw out of us.
  • Options

It's amazing how many amateur experts on politics pb has. Personally, I'd trust them more on practical lingerie management. I prefer to rely on the Westminster consensus about polling for betting-making judgements.

More seriously, climate science is political, and has to be seen through that light.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Lingerie management is straightforward and the results are beyond dispute and easily demonstrated :smirk: :
  • Options

Did you trust the consensus amongst opinion polls in May too?
  • Options

I am not a scientific expert.

Being naturally curious, however, I do wonder at the accuracy of temperature measuring instruments in 1850 which you lot seem to be taking as the optimum temperature these past few millennia.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The hockey stick was fiction.

As far as I'm aware the hockey stick has stood the test of scrutiny.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, why?

Letting others think for you isn't particularly scientific. I have great confidence in the scientific method, and grave concerns this is not being adhered to, given the political and economic aspects involved (if you know criticising the theory may kill your career, and agreeing with it could see you get work for years, what would you do?).

I don't have any history qualifications either, and don't have any problems thinking for myself in that field either :p

Or F1, for that matter.

Miss Plato, the first Jurassic Park was the best. All the later ones have been trying to find a 'better' T-Rex.
  • Options

Lingerie management is straightforward and the results are beyond dispute and easily demonstrated :smirk: :
    We haven't seen the evidence, though.
  • Options
    Developing countries..... ' we want a trillion dollars to sign your climate agreement'.

• Options
    Any decision about Trident is twenty-years away: The Septics are not a rush. Labour will not split over Successor as a drum-beat needs to be maintained in Labour's backyard.

The EU could split Labour; only not in the way people are assuming. Corporatism is the lowest form of Capitalism and the Left prefer the former....
  • Options

It's amazing how many amateur experts on politics pb has. Personally, I'd trust them more on practical lingerie management. I prefer to rely on the Westminster consensus about polling for betting-making judgements.

More seriously, climate science is political, and has to be seen through that light.
    It's never a good idea to rely on the consensus on betting-making judgements: there's never any value there.

The problem with the climate change consensus is that those inside it are too keen to rely on it too: it's become self-perpetuating and there seems to be little sensible ground for reasoned debate between the fanatics on one side and the heretics on the other.
  • Options

I read all the "Wilt" books many years ago. I always felt so sorry for Henry whereas I felt that Eva simply made rods for her own back.

I always thought that Clem, the labrador, was the unsung hero of the first book, not sure why he was dropped from the sequels. Eva was of course a silly bitch who needed a good, well never mind.

Anyway the humour to me, and point of mentioning the books in the first place, was what went on in the Fenland College of Art and Technology - Meat One, Senior Secs, plus the antics in the staff room and the gulf between the staff's aspirations and the reality. Nearly ten years ago I did a spell teaching in FE and until you have tried teaching Mathematics to a bunch of 17 year olds doing a Fine Arts course (as an alternative to the dole) you cannot appreciate how accurate Sharp's books are.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Being naturally curious, however, I do wonder at the accuracy of temperature measuring instruments in 1850 which you lot seem to be taking as the optimum temperature these past few millennia.
    I'm not a scientific expert either. But I expect that scientists do their best with such information as they have, same as any of us do with imperfect information.

The most astonishing aspect to me is not that there is scepticism about the science - that's healthy - it's that there is a complete unwillingness among so many to accept that there might be anything in it whatsoever.
  • Options
    My favourite climate change reader of the runes.

In the year 2000. Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said. So if you are a "believer" then there is no chance of snow.
  • Options
    @Beverley_C I meant to ask - doesn't leaving a rough wire end just poke through faster?

Being a bit of a figurehead/prow of the ship physique - wires are essential to avoid a uni-chest.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I'd suggest trying a great deal harder in that case or curry houses training some Asian women as well.''

I think for some business people, its either they employ overseas workers or they close the business down. English people simply will not do that work for that pay.

A hotelier in a seaside town intimated as much to me the other day. Its the Lithuanian chambermaids that keep him afloat.

English people? forget it, despite the town being full of folk who are manifestly on benefits.
  • Options
    Mrs C, clearly we need a PB-sponsored investigative committee on lingerie management. A short period of deliberation, say, 8-12 months, should do the trick.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Then you have a stunning lack of awareness. It was a total bogus sham.
  • Options
    @danbloom1: Jeremy Corbyn and Hilary Benn are both doing live media interviews right now saying opposite things.

@MrHarryCole: Corbyn should just say it - he doesnt want to whip them because he can't
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Alistair said:

FPT

notme said:

The dentist said it was now standard at his practice and implied it was across the NHS. The thing is my oral hygiene wasnt bad, room for improvement, as there always is, but in the higher range for all their assessment numbers.

He told me i needed to clean my teeth minimum three times a day, not rinse my mouth after brushing and that i need to buy an electric toothbrush. Unless i did that he doesnt expect to see an improvement. No improvement, no treatment.

Wow, what your dentist is telling you is bullsh-t and dangerous at that. Not to rinse your mouth?
    You do not rinse after brushing with toothpaste. If you rinse then you are just getting rid of all the fluoride you have carefully scrubbed onto your teeth. It isn't magic, it needs time to work and to protect.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Teethcleaningguide.aspx
    This is the type of issue that could really benefit from old fashioned public information advertising. Too many people grew up rinsing after brushing.

Especially with parents, there might be any number who have falsies and no longer attend the dentist to get the new advice - well newish, I think my dentist first started preaching it about 4 or 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

No it hasn't. Indeed non of the models have matched the actual measurements of the last 20 years .

Nor, in spite of the garbage being spouted by Murali_s, is 2015 on course to be the hottest year on record. The satellite record shows that claim to be false.

• Options
    I think I'll go to the cinema.

Global warming discussions on PB aren't as exciting as discussions about AV.

I'd rather discuss some hot Scottish Indy chat.
  • Options

I prefer to rely on the scientific consensus about anthropogenic global warming for policy-making judgements.

Except.....the language (some of them) use about their critics - 'deniers' and so forth, smacks of religion, not science, where 'many a beautiful theory has been destroyed by a single ugly fact'......
  • Options

My favourite climate change reader of the runes.

In the year 2000. Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said. So if you are a "believer" then there is no chance of snow.

http://grist.org/list/send-this-comic-to-anyone-who-tells-you-cold-weather-disproves-global-warming/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm not a scientific expert either. But I expect that scientists do their best with such information as they have, same as any of us do with imperfect information.

The most astonishing aspect to me is not that there is scepticism about the science - that's healthy - it's that there is a complete unwillingness among so many to accept that there might be anything in it whatsoever.
    My usual Bayesian rules of thumb tell me that (a) there is something in it; (b) not as much as some claim; (c) the models are not very good; (d) we ought to do a bit about it now; (e) we'll probably be able to manage whatever happens, not least because of human ingenuity.
This discussion has been closed.