Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Imagine what next Monday’s PLP meeting is going to be like

12346»

Comments

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

I have adopted a routine: floss, mouthwash, brush,don't rinse.. Since starting that 3 years ago, my teeth appear to much healthier. As I am an OAP, I like to keep whatever faculties I have left :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't have a good oral hygiene routine.

I'm 32, never had a filling, always brushed twice a day, use mouthwash intermittently, but was getting some acid erosion under the lower front teeth.

I did some research, after which I cut way back on grains. Grains that have been soaked, sprouted, or sour levened are fine, because this breaks down the phytic acid that is contained within the hull of the grain. Phytic acid links with calcium in your body, taking calcium that would otherwise be used for bone building. All bread baked fast with modern brewer's yeast will have this phytic acid. I also cut way back on sugar (for general health reasons). I also now only have milk cultured (having been made into yoghurt). This re-balances the milk after the pasteurisation process, which I believe makes the successful assimilation of calcium from milk difficult. I like yoghurt, but I would like to have the option of raw milk, but this may not be purchased in Scotland except via mail order from England, which is £15 for 6 pints - not really something I want to do financially on a constant basis.

I did all this, and I'm delighted to say it has solved the problem, effectively 'rebuilding' that acid eroded area.
    Glad your teeth are fine, but your biochemistry sounds dodgy. Where are you getting yr information from?
    David Icke by the sounds of things.

It's all unadulterated bullshit.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

I have adopted a routine: floss, mouthwash, brush,don't rinse.. Since starting that 3 years ago, my teeth appear to much healthier. As I am an OAP, I like to keep whatever faculties I have left :-)

I'm 32, never had a filling, always brushed twice a day, use mouthwash intermittently, but was getting some acid erosion under the lower front teeth.

I did some research, after which I cut way back on grains. Grains that have been soaked, sprouted, or sour levened are fine, because this breaks down the phytic acid that is contained within the hull of the grain. Phytic acid links with calcium in your body, taking calcium that would otherwise be used for bone building. All bread baked fast with modern brewer's yeast will have this phytic acid. I also cut way back on sugar (for general health reasons). I also now only have milk cultured (having been made into yoghurt). This re-balances the milk after the pasteurisation process, which I believe makes the successful assimilation of calcium from milk difficult. I like yoghurt, but I would like to have the option of raw milk, but this may not be purchased in Scotland except via mail order from England, which is £15 for 6 pints - not really something I want to do financially on a constant basis.

I did all this, and I'm delighted to say it has solved the problem, effectively 'rebuilding' that acid eroded area.
    Glad your teeth are fine, but your biochemistry sounds dodgy. Where are you getting yr information from?
    http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/

Phytic acid is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially the bran portion of grains and other seeds. It contains the mineral phosphorus tightly bound in a snowflake-like molecule. In humans and animals with one stomach, the phosphorus is not readily bioavailable. In addition to blocking phosphorus availability, the “arms” of the phytic acid molecule readily bind with other minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, making them unavailable as well. In this form, the compound is referred to as phytate.

Phytic acid not only grabs on to or chelates important minerals, but also inhibits enzymes that we need to digest our food, including pepsin,1 needed for the breakdown of proteins in the stomach, and amylase,2 needed for the breakdown of starch into sugar. Trypsin, needed for protein digestion in the small intestine, is also inhibited by phytates.3
    - See more at: http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/#sthash.ieE7D213.dpuf....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2015
    Mr 1983,

Sola dosis facit venenum, as Paracelsus said - 'the dose makes the poison'.

And you need to discriminate between acute and chronic doses. Cyanide taken continuously in very low doses isn't fatal, but a small amount taken all at once is.

We're all made of chemicals. I'd rather have my e-numbers (all tested) rather than that dangerous" organic" stuff which could be deadly.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Phytic acid is the principal storage form of phosphorus in many plant tissues, especially the bran portion of grains and other seeds. It contains the mineral phosphorus tightly bound in a snowflake-like molecule. In humans and animals with one stomach, the phosphorus is not readily bioavailable. In addition to blocking phosphorus availability, the “arms” of the phytic acid molecule readily bind with other minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, making them unavailable as well. In this form, the compound is referred to as phytate.

Phytic acid not only grabs on to or chelates important minerals, but also inhibits enzymes that we need to digest our food, including pepsin,1 needed for the breakdown of proteins in the stomach, and amylase,2 needed for the breakdown of starch into sugar. Trypsin, needed for protein digestion in the small intestine, is also inhibited by phytates.3
    - See more at: http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/living-with-phytic-acid/#sthash.ieE7D213.dpuf....

The human body produces Phytic Acid ALL ON ITS OWN.

No matter what you do with your diet, you will be full of Phytic Acid and it exists in every cell in your body.

Kinda undermines your new age, pseudo-scientific bullcrap.
  • Options

Yes, I know what phytic acid is. The real question is how much of all those various activities is it going to do, the answer being "probably not enough to be worth worrying about".

It was the re-balancing of unbalanced milk that sounded particularly off-balance
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    This always makes me smile http://www.theonion.com/article/fda-approves-sale-of-prescription-placebo-1606
    For years, scientists have been aware of the effectiveness of placebo in treating a surprisingly wide range of conditions," said Dr. Jonathan Bergen of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "It was time to provide doctors with this often highly effective option."

In its most common form, placebo is a white, crystalline substance of a sandy consistency, obtained from the evaporated juice of the Saccharum officinarum plant. The FDA has approved placebo in doses ranging from 1 to 40,000 milligrams.
    CD13 said:

Mr 1983,

Sola dosis facit venenum, as Paracelsus said - 'the dose makes the poison'.

And you need to discriminate between acute and chronic doses. Cyanide taken continuously in very low doses isn't fatal, but a small amount taken all at once is.

We're all made of chemicals. I'd rather have my e-numbers (all tested) rather than that dangerous" organic" stuff which could be deadly.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

His profile says he's a BBC camera man. Wonder if the beeb are happy to associate with his views?

That has to be a spoof account, he makes Ken Livingstone look like a Tory wet.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

And the paperless office, and us having so much free time we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves - so we built recreation centres.

The Kent Courier did a book for the Millennium containing reprints of articles over the previous century. One of the best was an article from the 1930s with predictions of what life would be like at the end of the 20th century. The great thing about it is how it was both right in some ways, and spectacularly wrong in others. For example:

- "The servants problem is not going to improve" [well they were right about that!], but the proposed solution was the rich would live together in communal homes, taking their meals in communal dining rooms.

- "Traffic is going to get worse and worse" [right again], but the proposed solution was that by 2000 we'd all be flying around in 1930s-style biplanes launched from multi-storey towers.
    Osborne produced a guide to home computers in the early eighties that I had. They predicted that in 30 years time (so about 2012) everyone would have a palm sized portable computer with a colour, touch-sensitive, screen that had voice recognition.

Nailed it
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Memex ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memex ) is also a nailing it prediction of the future as realised by the tech available of the day.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

"I did some research"

I would be careful given your track record of 'research'.

In all seriousness, be very careful about believing what you read on websites (and to a lesser extent the media) about medical issues. Too much of it is quackery, clickbait or money-fodder. Some of it can be actively injurious to your health.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    *peers cautiously around door and wonders whether discussion about ... well, ladies' things ahem, has ceased*

""The servants problem is not going to improve" [well they were right about that!], but the proposed solution was the rich would live together in communal homes, taking their meals in communal dining rooms."

You are not keeping upto date with the latest in retirement villages then, M. N. The provision of communal dining rooms in such establishments is highly prized. Possibly the Kent Courier was adrift in who they considered the rich would be but otherwise seem to have had remarkable foresight.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Dair said:

Most of the chemicals that go to make up our bodies and which we rely upon to survive are poisonous in large enough concentrations. It is a matter of scale and circumstances. The idea that fluoride in the sorts of concentrations you find it in dental products is a poison is just garbage

There is a subtlety between what will make you drop dead on the spot, and what will be injurious to health if practised on a long term basis, that you are clearly missing. I'm not saying that fluoride in toothpaste will make people keel over, I am saying that although 'safe' in small doses, building up a large load of a toxic chemical that your body has to excrete or store is not a good idea.
    Toothpaste has around 1500 ppm of flouride. Which means it has a lower concentration than wine, tea and raisins. Of course these things also contain acids are should not be left in contact with your teeth for extended periods, whereas toothpaste is free from such negatives.

The sheer muppetry of your posts on this are genuinely beyond belief.
    Not sure where you are getting your info from - wine at more than 1500 ppm of fluoride?
This discussion has been closed.