Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

He's using the powers at his disposal. His enemies have shown that they won't hesitate to do the same. He wouldn't have to do it if his MPs were willing to defer more to his personal mandate.

He only has a mandate from a small selectorate. The MPs have a mandate from a real thing - the electorate.

They should have the balls to act accordingly
    Labour do not contract out the selection of their leaders to Labour constituency voters. He got a landslide from the party members and supporters. More senior party members who dislike that outcome need to accept that and either seek to change members' minds or shut up. At the moment they're doing neither.
    If one is going to reason in those terms then Corbyn should simply withdraw the whip from dissenters. If that's half the PLP, well, fiat justitia etc.

But surely the reality is that his leadership is weak because he's so inept. If he looked like the potential election-winner his fans think he is he'd have few problems.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

He only has a mandate from a small selectorate. The MPs have a mandate from a real thing - the electorate.

Labour do not contract out the selection of their leaders to Labour constituency voters. He got a landslide from the party members and supporters. More senior party members who dislike that outcome need to accept that and either seek to change members' minds or shut up. At the moment they're doing neither.
    They were elected by their constituents. Those are the voters they have to represent.

Their duty is to their electorate not Corbyn.

Corbyn showed previous Labour leaders ZERO loyalty. He has no right to demand anything less than he was prepared to offer others in his position.

He is a leader in name only. His Shadow Cabinet is against him. His MPs are against him.

Let him run round the country leading his 'members' - and let the real politicians get on with trying to rebuild a Labour Party.

We need a proper opposition party - Corbyn is not capable of delivering that.
    Democracy is inconvenient. Labour MPs seem unable to accept that Jeremy Corbyn won fair and square and so cannot reach an accommodation with themselves about what that means.

It's fine to be appalled by Jeremy Corbyn. I'm not a fan of him myself. But whose party is it? If MPs are out of step with the membership, why should the membership be ignored?

The MPs have rethinking to do if they want members to rethink. If they don't like where the Labour party is going, the exit is clearly marked. If they don't want to leave, they need to fight their corner showing respect to the views that clearly won in September. Never mind Jeremy Corbyn, there are hundreds of thousands of party members to respect. That does not mean carrying on as before and treating the leader as an inconvenience to be ignored.
    The Labour Party is going into electoral oblivion. Corbyn is exactly the man to lead this.

The sensible wing of the Party has to take a stand and drive Corbyn out - and quickly.

They need to deal with that bloodbath and move on.

And yes, the membership should be ignored - to a large extent. There aren't enough Labour members to deliver a Labour victory - you have to build a coalition of support. Corbyn should be trying to achieve that - but he isn't. He is pushing further and further to the left - a place which has never delivered electoral success.

The time to act is now. Corbyn has to go and go before the end of the year. There are mechanisms that can be exploited to make this happen.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

The theme song for this page should be "The Political Gambler" by Kenny Rogers

"You've got to know when to Oldham, know when to fold 'em..."

My working title for yesterday's look at the by-election was "takes us Oldham?"

I can't think why this didn't meet with editorial approval.
  • Options
    I've made my prediction.

I forgot to put in my winner. But from my prediction it is clear who I expect to win.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Labour Party internal democracy in action...
  • Options
    Bugger - I've managed to enter with total % coming to 80% or so.... how can you edit it?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Given the obvious quality (or lack thereof) of your research (witness your IHH embarrassment last night), why should anyone take anything you say about medicine seriously?

Do you have any medical qualifications, or did you just get it from Alex Jones or a.n.other conspiracy website?

Was I embarrassed last night? Unlike you I don't trawl the threads of a morning on tenterhooks to see what you may have said the previous evening. By all means complete my utter degradation by repeating whatever incisive shard of wisdom from you I may have missed if that will please you.

As I've repeated (how many times are we up to now?) I expect intelligent readers to read my post, and decide whether they agree with the points made therein. If they think my post is utterly ridiculous they may choose to ignore. If they're not sure and want more information or supporting evidence, if I'm around I'll oblige. I wouldn't have thought this was a hard concept to assimilate, but we seem to be having great difficulty.
    I suggest you go back and read it. But basically IHH was not banned by the Netherlands: it was another organisation with the same initials. Since that was the core of your 'argument', it all falls down.

You would have discovered this if you'd gone to Wikipedia and elsewhere rather than a conspiracy site. But that was probably too much 'research' for you.

Which is the problem you face when getting 'facts' through conspiracy websites. Especially with your much-vaunted 'rules' regarding sources, which have been shown to be so much self-aggrandising bunkum.
    "As I've repeated (how many times are we up to now?) I expect intelligent readers to read my post, and decide whether they agree with the points made therein."
    No, you spam this website with ridiculous sh*t. Truth does not matter to you, only that you get to promote your perverted view. Which strangely almost always matches Russia's best interests.

Everything you say on here is untrustworthy and should be taken with a few kilos of salt.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Not able to log on here but my predictions will be:

UKIP - 42.5
    Lab - 40.2
    Con - 12.3
    Grn - 3.1
    LD - 1.5
    MRL - 0.4

Not far from mine: 40.5; 39.5; 15; 3; 2; forgot about others :(
  • Options

isam said:

My working title for yesterday's look at the by-election was "takes us Oldham?"

I can't think why this didn't meet with editorial approval.
    Well this piece should clearly have been sub-headed:

Will the collective view of PBers be Royton Thursday?
  • Options

He's using the powers at his disposal. His enemies have shown that they won't hesitate to do the same. He wouldn't have to do it if his MPs were willing to defer more to his personal mandate.

They were elected by their constituents. Those are the voters they have to represent.

Corbyn showed previous Labour leaders ZERO loyalty. He has no right to demand anything less than he was prepared to offer others in his position.

He is a leader in name only. His Shadow Cabinet is against him. His MPs are against him.

Let him run round the country leading his 'members' - and let the real politicians get on with trying to rebuild a Labour Party.

Democracy is inconvenient. Labour MPs seem unable to accept that Jeremy Corbyn won fair and square and so cannot reach an accommodation with themselves about what that means.

It's fine to be appalled by Jeremy Corbyn. I'm not a fan of him myself. But whose party is it? If MPs are out of step with the membership, why should the membership be ignored?

The MPs have rethinking to do if they want members to rethink. If they don't like where the Labour party is going, the exit is clearly marked. If they don't want to leave, they need to fight their corner showing respect to the views that clearly won in September. Never mind Jeremy Corbyn, there are hundreds of thousands of party members to respect. That does not mean carrying on as before and treating the leader as an inconvenience to be ignored.
    The question is, what loyalty does the current Labour leadership and current PLP owe to the 9m people who voted for a rather different Labour party to represent them from that which is now in place?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Dair said:

Again more pure unadulterated nonsense.

Put simply, correlation is not causation. Pre industrialised diets contain virtually no refined sugar. The actual foods eaten are entirely irrelevant, what matters is no sugar. That's the core here and dressed up in all the insane psuedo-science doesn't change the basic concept.

Now, clearly you went with the reduction in sugar and for people willing to do that, good luck to them. Personally I think sugar is a damn fine addition to diets and science has developed ways we can deal with relatively higher (but not completely stupidly high) levels of refined sugar through regular brushing and flouridation.

But your nonsense about rinsing and the "evil" of flouride isn't a factor. The lack of sugar is.

Brave of you to talk about nonsense when you just told us that wine had about 1000 times more fluoride than it does.

Your attitude is rather sad - you of all people I would have thought would be interested in a diet that historically made the Scottish population so healthy. Haggis (nutrient rich organ meats - a common theme), soaked oats (as I described), turnips - all very much part of the Weston A Price school of thought. Far healthier than England's contemporary diet of wheat (albeit that all bread was soaked in those days).

As opposed to now when despite (or perhaps because) of Scotland's public health efforts, it has a sick population getting sicker.

Yes, reduction in sugar is key, but I think the cultured dairy was as important.

As for 'nonsense about rinsing' - this is the first time I've heard this non-rinsing bollocks, and I'm frankly amazed anyone is actually stupid enough to believe or do it.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Do another predix and ask @MarkHopkins to remove the iffy one?

Bugger - I've managed to enter with total % coming to 80% or so.... how can you edit it?

• Options
    Wanderer said:

If one is going to reason in those terms then Corbyn should simply withdraw the whip from dissenters. If that's half the PLP, well, fiat justitia etc.

But surely the reality is that his leadership is weak because he's so inept. If he looked like the potential election-winner his fans think he is he'd have few problems.
    His fans would argue that Labour MPs' dissent have sabotaged his chances. While I don't agree with that, their dissent certainly hasn't helped.

He and his supporters are under no obligation to make their own life more difficult. They can treat the MPs as delinquents and have them replaced in due by deselection in accordance with party rules.

It all depends whether you see the Labour party as belonging to the MPs or the membership. It's not obvious to me that the MPs have the right to launch a coup when the membership apparently remains firmly behind the leader. They should get out, shut up or argue their corner. Right now they're doing none of those things effectively.
  • Options
    Mark can you edit my entry. I forgot to add that UKIP was going to win. My %s are right
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BBC evacuated
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921

isam said:

Bravo!
    I m(ight not be) here all week :)
  • Options
    @GeordieStory: BBC and surrounding buildings evacuated near Oxford Circus https://t.co/CZ7wdlSnOa
  • Options
    @JamesClayton5: Police saying "suspect vehicle" near BBC Broadcasting House
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Enter it again, and I'll delete the old one.
  • Options

Nothing says they have to respect those views. They would be better off making quite a few lot of them leave.

Ultimately a split seems very likely from here; the key is to try to be the part that stays as the Labour Party. At least for now - there might come a point where the brand is so trashed a new party is a better bet for the moderates.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    edited December 2015

Given the obvious quality (or lack thereof) of your research (witness your IHH embarrassment last night), why should anyone take anything you say about medicine seriously?

Do you have any medical qualifications, or did you just get it from Alex Jones or a.n.other conspiracy website?

Was I embarrassed last night? Unlike you I don't trawl the threads of a morning on tenterhooks to see what you may have said the previous evening. By all means complete my utter degradation by repeating whatever incisive shard of wisdom from you I may have missed if that will please you.

As I've repeated (how many times are we up to now?) I expect intelligent readers to read my post, and decide whether they agree with the points made therein. If they think my post is utterly ridiculous they may choose to ignore. If they're not sure and want more information or supporting evidence, if I'm around I'll oblige. I wouldn't have thought this was a hard concept to assimilate, but we seem to be having great difficulty.
    I suggest you go back and read it. But basically IHH was not banned by the Netherlands: it was another organisation with the same initials. Since that was the core of your 'argument', it all falls down.
    What different organisation was that?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    How could the parliamentary Labour party have been so far divorced from reality that they didn't realise that their membership base was waaaaaaaaaaaay to the left of what they thought it would be ?!

It sounded extremely patronising to me the way alot of them talked about "bringing Jeremy into the debate", without expecting anyone to vote for him !
  • Options

Mark can you edit my entry. I forgot to add that UKIP was going to win. My %s are right

Done.

• Options

The question is, what loyalty does the current Labour leadership and current PLP owe to the 9m people who voted for a rather different Labour party to represent them from that which is now in place?

The current Labour MPs derive their mandate from those 9m people who voted for Labour in May based on the manifesto that was put to the people.

That is where their focus should be - not on the 250k who voted for Corbyn over the summer.

Labour is there to represent the wishes of the electorate not their membership.
  • Options

Missing the point. Where you draw your leader from the parliamentary party then if he is so far out of agreement with them, then it is quite untenable. Corbyn Momentum Stopthewar know this and are intent on replacing the MPs to be in their own image.
    Labour is being transmogrified and those that do not like it will be wasting their breath trying to influence the members. They need to get out now. They need to blatantly start a parliamentary party that owes no loyalty to Corbyn and then all resign Corbyn's Labour.
    Do something or do nothing, the labour party they joined is finished.
    Spot on. But just as they could not act against Brown or EdMiliband, they lack the cojones to act decisively in numbers. A few may attempt a coup, but just look at the political appeasers in the shadow cabinet.
    Brown and Miliband were not conspiring to hand over the labour party to trotskyist (etc) entryists and defenestrate them. It's not cojones they need, its coherency. But why should I care about Labour, even their more rational leaders are wrong headed.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    A prize worth winning for sure.Differential turnout can be a decisive factor and the various GOTV operations will be crucial.The cold weather is likely to be a major factor in this.This is where any members or supporters with decent,warm,motors can be persuaded to lend them to the party for the day so,effectively,there are door-to-door taxis in operation throughout the day.Minibuses are a tremendous asset too.
    On the next Labour leader market,Dan Jarvis has,as reported on PB,said he is ready to throw his hat into the ring and is still favourite.He has set out his 5 tests on assessing Cameron's proposals and has indicated he is considering it all.This is a big call for him and may define his chances.Until he announces his decision,which may or not sway others,I have not parted with any of my money.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How could the parliamentary Labour party have been so far divorced from reality that they didn't realise that their membership base was waaaaaaaaaaaay to the left of what they thought it would be ?!

It sounded extremely patronising to me the way alot of them talked about "bringing Jeremy into the debate", without expecting anyone to vote for him !

I think they thought that Diane Abbott had shown them that it was safe enough to do so. To be fair, nearly everybody agreed at the time. There was still some 100/1 available after the nominations were in.
  • Options

Me too please
  • Options

FPT:

"I did some research"

I would be careful given your track record of 'research'.

In all seriousness, be very careful about believing what you read on websites (and to a lesser extent the media) about medical issues. Too much of it is quackery, clickbait or money-fodder. Some of it can be actively injurious to your health.

Actually, the opposite is true of the diet protocol I 'follow' (I'm not slavish). I follow a 'Weston A Price' diet. Price was a dentist who noted declining dental (and general) health in the US population in the early 20th century. He embarked on a mission to go around the world learning about the healthiest and longest lived societies - largely those untouched by industrialisation etc. From Eskimos, to African tribes, to Swiss villages. Such a thing can't be done these days - these peoples are gone.

He found each society, though some were nearly vegeterian, some almost entirely carniverous etc., had in common certain 'sacred foods' that kept them healthy, free from disease and long lived.

Look at today's society - we're being kept alive a bit longer by medical advances and greatly reduced deprivation, but healthier? Allergies and intolerances are out of control, cancer, heart and other diseases likewise. Who says our diet is healthier? 20 years ago fat was the enemy. It's now sugar. These are trends, not nutritional truths. The past is really the only place we can look to find out what's healthy - what worked generation to generation when there were no doctors. The unfashionable concept of wisdom. The 'risk' lies in following today's food fads.
    I think a good start to healthy eating is simply to avoid preservatives and processed foods other than those processed traditionally (e.g. cheese, fermented products, leavened bread etc...). In addition, I eat hardly any refined sugar. Processed sugar was not a part of most people's lives until relatively recently. For the rest, so long as you keep your calories in balance, I really don't think it matters what you eat provided you get all the nutrients the body needs.
  • Options
    Re done - thanks !!
  • Options
    Dair said:

FPT:

"I did some research"

In all seriousness, be very careful about believing what you read on websites (and to a lesser extent the media) about medical issues. Too much of it is quackery, clickbait or money-fodder. Some of it can be actively injurious to your health.

Actually, the opposite is true of the diet protocol I 'follow' (I'm not slavish). I follow a 'Weston A Price' diet. Price was a dentist who noted declining dental (and general) health in the US population in the early 20th century. He embarked on a mission to go around the world learning about the healthiest and longest lived societies - largely those untouched by industrialisation etc. From Eskimos, to African tribes, to Swiss villages. Such a thing can't be done these days - these peoples are gone.

He found each society, though some were nearly vegeterian, some almost entirely carniverous etc., had in common certain 'sacred foods' that kept them healthy, free from disease and long lived.

Look at today's society - we're being kept alive a bit longer by medical advances and greatly reduced deprivation, but healthier? Allergies and intolerances are out of control, cancer, heart and other diseases likewise. Who says our diet is healthier? 20 years ago fat was the enemy. It's now sugar. These are trends, not nutritional truths. The past is really the only place we can look to find out what's healthy - what worked generation to generation when there were no doctors. The unfashionable concept of wisdom. The 'risk' lies in following today's food fads.

Put simply, correlation is not causation. Pre industrialised diets contain virtually no refined sugar. The actual foods eaten are entirely irrelevant, what matters is no sugar. That's the core here and dressed up in all the insane psuedo-science doesn't change the basic concept.

Now, clearly you went with the reduction in sugar and for people willing to do that, good luck to them. Personally I think sugar is a damn fine addition to diets and science has developed ways we can deal with relatively higher (but not completely stupidly high) levels of refined sugar through regular brushing and flouridation.

But your nonsense about rinsing and the "evil" of flouride isn't a factor. The lack of sugar is.
    Fook me, Dair is a genius
  • Options

As I said, do some of the 'research' you are so proud of, and either read last night's thread or wiki.
  • Options
    Labour's foreign secretary Hilary Benn, who is in favour of the government's proposed air strikes, is holding a briefing for Labour MPs this afternoon to explain why he is supporting the plan. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/12026280/David-Cameron-prepares-for-Syria-air-strikes-after-Jeremy-Corbyn-U-turn-live.html#update-20151201-1433
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I've made my prediction.

I forgot to put in my winner. But from my prediction it is clear who I expect to win.

Where do these predictions show up? (Even I had a go)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    Seems to be a lot more going on than meets the eye e.g.

Johnson’s relationship with Clarke is also not as straightforward as many are making out. Even after his confrontations with Clarke and associate Andre Walker, which Johnson surreptitiously recorded, he appeared to be on good, albeit strained, terms with them. He talked daily with Walker about how best to retract his complaint. And even his parents noted how Johnson seemed optimistic about a new potential journalism job Walker was said to be lining up for him.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/elliott-johnson-tory-bullying/17686#.Vl2yFnbhC71
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think they thought that Diane Abbott had shown them that it was safe enough to do so. To be fair, nearly everybody agreed at the time. There was still some 100/1 available after the nominations were in.
    Was 20 May 2010 the most serendipitous moment in electoral history for UKIP ?
  • Options

Me too please
    Cannot see your entry.
  • Options

I've made my prediction.

http://show.nojam.com/a2t7/search.php?b=0
    http://show.nojam.com/a2t7/summary.php
  • Options

Yesterday, a couple of us posted the links to the names of three different organizations (Turkish, Dutch, German) with the same initials. The latter two are banned, the Turkish one is not, and it was their bakery that was targeted.
  • Options
    http://show.nojam.com/a2t7/search.php?b=0

I've made my prediction.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Without Corbyn then Burnham would have been the natural left wing choice. With Corbyn in the race then he was left running round like a headless chicken.
  • Options

Me too please
    Cannot see your entry.
    Sorry it's under my real name, initials JB
  • Options

I've made my prediction.

You can click on the menu box (top right corner of the prediction frame), or...

Search

Summary

• Options

New Labour took over the Labour Party from the 'loony left' and have now lost it again. It makes sense that Labour MPs, by the very fact that they have won election as MPs, are going to be more pragmatic on average than the Labour Party members.
    They are on to a loser short term if they try to defenestrate Corbyn. They have to make up their minds to defect/start a new party or keep quiet (in public) for a couple of years until the party members have concluded it's time to let Corbyn go. It's not an easy decision, but they should be talking to each other to form a consensus.
  • Options
    That means nothing Mike. It always rains in Oldham. It is why I dislike the place so much
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    The truth is, there is no answer to the conundrum facing moderate Labour MPs. It's not lack of brains, or lack of resolve, or lack of cojones, or lack of desire, which is preventing them saving the party from destruction at the hands of the entryists and extremists, it is lack of means.

I think that the only thing they can do is what Hilary Benn and Lord Falconer are doing: try to hang on whilst resisting the worst lunacies. I expect, however, that that effort, though in some ways admirable, is doomed to failure anyway. Still, it's the best that can be done.

Meanwhile, others such as Chukka, Dan Jarvis, and Keir Starmer need to lie low and try to remain as untainted as possible, whilst waiting for an opportunity to start rebuilding from the ashes. It looks like being a long wait, however,
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

His fans would argue that Labour MPs' dissent have sabotaged his chances. While I don't agree with that, their dissent certainly hasn't helped.

He and his supporters are under no obligation to make their own life more difficult. They can treat the MPs as delinquents and have them replaced in due by deselection in accordance with party rules.

It all depends whether you see the Labour party as belonging to the MPs or the membership. It's not obvious to me that the MPs have the right to launch a coup when the membership apparently remains firmly behind the leader. They should get out, shut up or argue their corner. Right now they're doing none of those things effectively.
    Yes it does come down to who the party belongs to. I think the answer is that it belongs to both the members and MPs and that pound-for-pound the MPs count for a lot more. The old Labour leadership electoral system reflected that, of course. I don't think it's tenable for a party's membership to choose a leader who has such minimal support amongst MPs and we are seeing the effects of that.

For what it's worth, I think that "get out" is the only real option. Staying put and shutting up is obviously a non-starter and trying to persuade the membership is futile. Getting out is a desperate course but has at least some chance of success.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    For those wondering at Ken's apologia for the 7/7 bombers, it is worth looking at the speech he gave at the time. It was widely praised but there was one bit in it which grated with me at the time and it is in this quote:-

"This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful. It was not aimed at Presidents or Prime Ministers. It was aimed at ordinary working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian, Hindu and Jew, young and old."

Why the reference to "working-class Londoners"? Would the attack have been justified if it had been aimed at "middle class" or "upper class" Londoners? Even here Ken could not help himself and had to make a class issue out of such an atrocity.

BTW we have another Labour MP - sometimes cited as a possible future leader, Clive Lewis, who came out after the PLP meeting threatening those who voted for bombing with being held responsible for any subsequent terrorist attacks. Another MP who simply cannot or won't bring himself to attach blame to those who carry out terrorist atrocities; another MP lacking in a moral compass. Listen to him on this morning's Today programme.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Dair said:

Dair, for me the danger of sugar is not the potential damage it does to teeth, but the effect it has on our insulin levels, ultimately resulting in insulin resistance and much worse potential adverse health impacts. Also, the rapid rise and crash of blood glycogen caused by sugars contributes, in my view, through snacking, to overeating and hence obesity, with all its adverse health impacts on top of insulin resistance.

For info on insulin resistance, see http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/insulin-resistance-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx#resistance
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

BTW we have another Labour MP - sometimes cited as a possible future leader, Clive Lewis, who came out after the PLP meeting threatening those who voted for bombing with being held responsible for any subsequent terrorist attacks. Another MP who simply cannot or won't bring himself to attach blame to those who carry out terrorist atrocities; another MP lacking in a moral compass. Listen to him on this morning's Today programme.

Yes, he was pretty disgusting, lightened only by the fact that he seems to think Ms Abbott's first name is Diana.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Dair said:

FPT:

"I did some research"

He's right.

About this, at least.
  • Options

I've made my prediction.

Search

Summary

Thank you. I see my prediction of Labour squeaking home by a few percent is not widely shared :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It sounds like he's enhancing his chances of succeeding Corbyn to me.
  • Options
    Just got on a brand new Eurostar train.

They've been very nicely upgraded.

I hope they have WiFi
  • Options

The truth is, there is no answer to the conundrum facing moderate Labour MPs. It's not lack of brains, or lack of resolve, or lack of cojones, or lack of desire, which is preventing them saving the party from destruction at the hands of the entryists and extremists, it is lack of means.

I think that the only thing they can do is what Hilary Benn and Lord Falconer are doing: try to hang on whilst resisting the worst lunacies. I expect, however, that that effort, though in some ways admirable, is doomed to failure anyway. Still, it's the best that can be done.

Meanwhile, others such as Chukka, Dan Jarvis, and Keir Starmer need to lie low and try to remain as untainted as possible, whilst waiting for an opportunity to start rebuilding from the ashes. It looks like being a long wait, however,

The left of the Labour party waited at least 32 years by my reckoning to get back in charge. Doubt they'll give it back any time soon.
  • Options

I've made my prediction.

Search

Summary

Thank you. I see my prediction of Labour squeaking home by a few percent is not widely shared :)
    40% of the labour vote will turn out
    85% of the UKIP vote will turn out
    50% of conservatives
    50% of libdem

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dair said:

FPT:

"I did some research"

He's right.

About this, at least.
    About sugar and teeth maybe, but not about sugar in general.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2015
    I heard a brief extract of a Corbyn interview. He used so many idiotic and meaningless sound bites, here is one:

This rush to war

I say chaps over there in IS, could you hang on a couple of weeks while we debate our position? We don't want to rush the decision to annihilate you.

Of course there is a rush to war. It isn't an option that goes through predetermined steps and has a set timetable. You make a decision, it is what leadership is about, Jeremy.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Out of interest has Jeremy asked his friends in Hezbollah their position on IS ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    rcs1000 said:

I hope they have WiFi

Needed it. Very tatty looking last time I used it.
  • Options
    It's just too surreal, every day, at least another three public eff-ups.
    dr_spyn said:
  • Options
    Red-on-red civil discussion on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SDoughtyMP/status/671705001220116480
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I hope they have WiFi

Brand new as in one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_374
  • Options
    I think cancelling PMQs and having an extended day entirely on Syria was a neat compromise to JC's request for 2 days discussion on the matter. Like sticking 180 overs into a day-night session of test cricket ^^;
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

The left of the Labour party waited at least 32 years by my reckoning to get back in charge. Doubt they'll give it back any time soon.

No, the earliest opportunity for wrenching it out of their hands will be after a catastrophic defeat in 2020, but that is being very optimistic from the moderates' point of view. More likely after 2025, and maybe not even then.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2015
    The EU have produced an Advent Calendar for us. What a refreshing and innovative approach to PR.

Day 1: Safer presents thanks to European Commission Rapid alert system

*steps away from PB for an hour*

http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/frontpage/2015/125_en.htm
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Off topic - yesterday I learnt what the second "C" in CCHQ actually stands for. I always thought it was "Central".
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    The average prediction so far has labour winning by 1%
  • Options

The EU have produced an Advent Calendar for us. What a refreshing and innovative approach to PR.

I think that might be the worst advent calendar ever.
  • Options
    Louise Haigh MP ‏@LouHaigh 1h
    National Security Adviser confirms
    "it's the figure from the joint intelligence committee"
    "no suggestion it was confidential briefing"

Errm

• Options

rcs1000 said:

I hope they have WiFi

Brand new as in one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_374
    Alstom really were not happy about Siemens getting that contract ...
  • Options
    Felicitous post-meridian work period, fellow citizen-comrades of Jezikistan.

Behold the unassailable power of the Chairman, as the vile lies spread by capitalist media barons about the Politburo are proven false! The entire Politburo stands staunchly behind the Chairman's firm position of total uncertainty.

Never has the Party been more united. As our loyal friends in Stop The War march to congratulate the Inner Party members and the leading thespian Comrade Rylance gives the Chairman his support, watch as the Conservative pigdogs tremble in fear, and rightly so.
  • Options
    philiph said:

I heard a brief extract of a Corbyn interview. He used so many idiotic and meaningless sound bites, here is one:

This rush to war

I say chaps over there in IS, could you hang on a couple of weeks while we debate our position? We don't want to rush the decision to annihilate you.

Of course there is a rush to war. It isn't an option that goes through predetermined steps and has a set timetable. You make a decision, it is what leadership is about, Jeremy.

Its not like this decision has any practical impact, so what exactly is the hurry?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''More likely after 2025, and maybe not even then.''

I don't see the moderates ever winning again. The great mass movement of working people that used to be labour no longer exists.
  • Options
    @PickardJE · 2m2 minutes ago
    Sounds like Labour MPs buckling under pressure: leader's office briefing 100 Syria rebels - others suggest it may be down to 30 or 40 now.
  • Options

The average prediction so far has labour winning by 1%

Game on! :)
  • Options
    Is the meeting to which Ms Haigh refers not confidential ?
    Must say I'm somewhat surprised she assumes it not to be so, if I was in a meeting with the Foreign Sec and a top spook I'd assume it was confidential, unless told otherwise.
  • Options

Sounds like Labour MPs buckling under pressure: leader's office briefing 100 Syria rebels - others suggest it may be down to 30 or 40 now.

Not exactly surprising. We know the PLP are basically spineless, and hence why Corbyn isn't going anywhere. They will brief friendly journos until the cows come home, but when the big moment comes, they won't do anything.
  • Options
    Quite surprised the real figure for Syrian moderates is 40,000. A bit higher than I'd assumed actually. Could be hope for the FSA yet...
  • Options

Off topic - yesterday I learnt what the second "C" in CCHQ actually stands for. I always thought it was "Central".

The second C was Central in CCO; it's now Campaign.
  • Options

The Oldham optics could yet be focussing minds - seeing as UKIP are (I think) against bombing.
  • Options

I think that might be the worst advent calendar ever.
    Matt's cartoon!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

So just down to the shadow cabinet :D
  • Options

Felicitous post-meridian work period, fellow citizen-comrades of Jezikistan.

Behold the unassailable power of the Chairman, as the vile lies spread by capitalist media barons about the Politburo are proven false! The entire Politburo stands staunchly behind the Chairman's firm position of total uncertainty.

Never has the Party been more united. As our loyal friends in Stop The War march to congratulate the Inner Party members and the leading thespian Comrade Rylance gives the Chairman his support, watch as the Conservative pigdogs tremble in fear, and rightly so.

Mr Dancer - may the Farce be with you :lol:
  • Options

Not exactly surprising. We know the PLP are basically spineless, and hence why Corbyn isn't going anywhere. They will brief friendly journos until the cows come home, but when the big moment comes, they won't do anything.
    "they won't do anything"

About Syria, or Corbyn?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    taffys said:

I don't see the moderates ever winning again. The great mass movement of working people that used to be labour no longer exists.

This depends what you mean by "moderates". There's never going to be a swivel-eyed ultra-Blairite winning the leadership again, true.

But the Soft Left is still near-unbeatable in Labour leadership elections IF they offer a good candidate; most members want to win elections while still having just about enough non-negotiable principles to make it worthwhile. The problem was there was perceived to be no Soft Left candidate in this year's leadership election (Burnham could've been it but destroyed it by following Liz Kendall down the Blairite rabbit-hole in the first couple of weeks of the contest, and even though he tried to swerve back later people had stopped trusting him).
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The Oldham optics could yet be focussing minds - seeing as UKIP are (I think) against bombing.''
    It also shows that all this stuff about the McMahon candidate being on the right of the party, much needed counterweight and voice of sense is utter b8llocks. Another spineless aparatchik.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about getting @RichardTyndall an EU advent calendar.

I'm generous like that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

taffys said:

This depends what you mean by "moderates". There's never going to be a swivel-eyed ultra-Blairite winning the leadership again, true.

But the Soft Left is still near-unbeatable in Labour leadership elections IF they offer a good candidate; most members want to win elections while still having just about enough principles to make it worthwhile. The problem was there was perceived to be no Soft Left candidate in this year's leadership election (Burnham could've been it but destroyed it by following Liz Kendall down the Blairite rabbit-hole in the first couple of weeks of the contest, and even though he tried to swerve back later people had stopped trusting him).
    What was wrong with Yvette ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I've made my prediction.

Search

Summary

50% of conservatives
    50% of libdem

Well... we will not have long to wait. If I win can I swap the book on politics for something shoe-related?
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    You are convicted of posting clickbait and sentenced to be electrocuted.

What happens next will shock you.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm thinking about getting @RichardTyndall an EU advent calendar.

I'm generous like that.

I was assuming we were all going to be sent one, as part of the generous investment the EU makes in the UK.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I've made my prediction.

Search

Summary

50% of conservatives
    50% of libdem

Well... we will not have long to wait. If I win can I swap the book on politics for something shoe-related?
    You mean a book on shoes?? :lol:
This discussion has been closed.