Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How much should those with 33/1 Sadiq Khan vouchers cover t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How much should those with 33/1 Sadiq Khan vouchers cover themselves on a Zac victory?

Back in March 2013 Henry G Manson gave what might prove to be one of the best ever political betting tips here when he said get on Sadiq Khan, then at 33/1, for next London Mayor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited December 2015
    Some of us are also on Zac at 22/1 thanks to Tissue_Price, is a good place to be thanks to Henry and Tissue_Price
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Some of us are also on Zac at 22/1 thanks to Tissue_Price, is a good place to be thanks to Henry and Tissue_Price

You'll be well in the money.

Unless Donald Trump decides to stand....
  • Options
    I said yesterday I expect Khan to win, which isn't the worst result for the Tories as

1) It spares a tricky by election in Richmond Park, which despite its mahoosive majority, I still place faith in the Lib Dem by election ops

2) Keeps Jez in place

3) Gives us a fascinating by election in Tooting, especially if Ken Livingstone is the Labour candidate.
  • Options

You'll be well in the money.

Unless Donald Trump decides to stand....
    Or Winston McKenzie becomes London Mayor
  • Options
    What puts Sadiq Khan in such a great place for this contest is that Ed Miliband also made him Shadow Minister for London two months ago.'

Pedant alert - Ed appointed him Shadow Minister for London in January 2013.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970

I said yesterday I expect Khan to win, which isn't the worst result for the Tories as

1) It spares a tricky by election in Richmond Park, which despite its mahoosive majority, I still place faith in the Lib Dem by election ops

2) Keeps Jez in place

3) Gives us a fascinating by election in Tooting, especially if Ken Livingstone is the Labour candidate.

Tooting is quite simple, I think. Reasonable Lab candidate and it's a Lab hold. Livingstone for Lab and it's a sure-fire Tory gain.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

What puts Sadiq Khan in such a great place for this contest is that Ed Miliband also made him Shadow Minister for London two months ago.'

Well, to be pedantic, the words were written in March 2013.
  • Options
    I'm on this bet (at these odds and at shorter odds). I don't feel the need to buy an insurance policy. In a city that's trending to Labour, Zac Goldsmith faces an uphill struggle, even with the troubles that Labour are going through at present at a national level.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited December 2015
    "I know quite a few PBers took Henry’s advice in 2003 – what are they doing?"

Throw away the calculaters and spreadsheets and cross your fingers would be my advice. Hedging hurts head.
  • Options

2) Keeps Jez in place

Tooting is quite simple, I think. Reasonable Lab candidate and it's a Lab hold. Livingstone for Lab and it's a sure-fire Tory gain.
    Indeed, Governments seldom win seats from the Opposition, so it should be a Labour hold but Ken adds a new dynamic, plus the Tories seem quite confident that if not next year, they might take it in 2020.
  • Options
    Or hedge the stake so it looks pretty on the spreadsheets - everyone likes pretty spreadsheets
  • Options

2) Keeps Jez in place

I agree about 1 and 3. For the Tories a Tooting by-election is way more appetising than a Richmond one. As in a fresh quivering slice of jelly versus a rotten herring.

I don't think 2 is in doubt either way.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Indeed – but my point was that Khan has now resigned from the Cabinet and no longer enjoys that platform advantage.
  • Options

I'm on this bet (at these odds and at shorter odds). I don't feel the need to buy an insurance policy. In a city that's trending to Labour, Zac Goldsmith faces an uphill struggle, even with the troubles that Labour are going through at present at a national level.

Entirely agree. We also know that a disproportionate number of new Labour members are in London.
  • Options
    I am not convinced that the Heathrow issue has been neutralised for Khan. Whilst Goldsmith has been consistently opposed, Khan changed his mind in the last two years - some might say when he realised he might have a shot at London Mayor. That could play very bad for him as being two faced.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT

RodCrosby said:
    » show previous quotes
    I ruled out a Labour majority in 2011, stated in 2012 the Tories would win most votes, and held out the serious possibility of a majority during 2014 and early 2015, although I never believed it was odds-on. And in truth it never was odds-on.
    Wanderer said:
    I think that's right. It's an example of a somewhat (not extremely) unlikely thing that happened.

This exchange sums up my problem with applying odds to an individual event. Today, it with either rain, or it won't. There is not a 30% chance of rain today. In one hundred days like today, it will probably rain on 30 of them. But today it will either rain or it won't.

Odds only work when there are multiple events, they do not work for single events.

Betting odds on single events works, not because a single event has an x% probability of happening, but because there are multiple bets made.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    I think it's still something of a tossup, as we don't know how voters will behave in the new political environment. Khan's edge depends on younger voters turning out - will Corbyn+Khan make that happen? Khan is the more traditional candidate - is that good or bad in a London Mayor election? The internal rows in Labour aren't over yet - will they spoil Khan's chances? Or will centrist Labour voters feel that they may be dubious about Corbyn but Khan's a reasonable option? So I'd be inclined to bet on whoever has worse than even odds at the moment.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:
    » show previous quotes
    I ruled out a Labour majority in 2011, stated in 2012 the Tories would win most votes, and held out the serious possibility of a majority during 2014 and early 2015, although I never believed it was odds-on. And in truth it never was odds-on.
    Wanderer said:
    I think that's right. It's an example of a somewhat (not extremely) unlikely thing that happened.

This exchange sums up my problem with applying odds to an individual event. Today, it with either rain, or it won't. There is not a 30% chance of rain today. In one hundred days like today, it will probably rain on 30 of them. But today it will either rain or it won't.

Odds only work when there are multiple events, they do not work for single events.

Betting odds on single events works, not because a single event has an x% probability of happening, but because there are multiple bets made.

That did occur to me as I wrote that post, but I thought, meh, just post already.
  • Options
    "So I'd be inclined to bet on whoever has worse than even odds at the moment."

You mean better than - otherwise you'd made a bit of textbook betting error.
  • Options
    @adebradley · 1m1 minute ago
    AP: Bill Cosby charged with sexual assaulting a women 12 years ago.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Afternoon all. A very lucky position to be in indeed, unfortunately not mine!

Just returned to see that England easily did was was required against SA. Well done also to @AlastairMeeks for his public revisiting of his predictions on the previous thread.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    edited December 2015
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Indeed – but my point was that Khan has now resigned from the Cabinet and no longer enjoys that platform advantage.
    Yes, but he's already reaped the benefit by becoming the candidate.

Sorry, I'm just being argumentative, probably because I'm not on either candidate at these fantastic odds.

How was Zac ever 22/1? He was the only Tory candidate anyone had heard of.
  • Options
    Hmmmm - not such pretty spreadsheet - does that mean you're only 40 quid up at the moment???
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Sorry, I'm just being argumentative, probably because I'm not on either candidate at these fantastic odds.

He was 33-1 at one point.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    On the doorstep re: Mayoral characters, there is apathy in general. Boris and Ken were massive figures; Zac and Khan are not currently. It's too early to tell.

In 2012 Labour beat Tories 42 to 33% in Assembly Member vote. Yet, Boris beat Ken 51.5 to 48.5%. 2012 was the omnishambles budget. My canvass returns say to date that Tories will get a swing at Assembly Member level and that is backed up by lots of Labour canvassers I know who corroborate. How much is hard to say, but it could be up to 3.5%. At Mayoral level, it is all about GOTV. with just 38.1% turnout last time, many supporters may not be voters. That will mean either Khan or Zac may be ahead in opinion polls but lose.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I think that means he's >600 quid up - i.e Gloating Klaxon

EDIT - don't think it means that - still profits secured - always nice to see on a spreadsheet
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

I think that means he's >600 quid up - i.e Gloating Klaxon

So long as it is Khan or Goldsmith.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Wanderer said:

MTimT said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:
    » show previous quotes
    Wanderer said:

That did occur to me as I wrote that post, but I thought, meh, just post already.
    :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GLOATING KLAXON GLOATING KLAXON CONFIRMED
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

50/1 in May 2014.
  • Options
    And on a spreadsheet as well, oh my....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

50/1 in May 2014.
    Do you have the betslip in your top drawer :D ?
  • Options
    Better than being stiffed by William Hill on their next Chelsea manager market !
  • Options
    I bet on Jowell as Lab candidate so my tiny bankroll ain't going on any spreadsheet.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

On the doorstep re: Mayoral characters, there is apathy in general. Boris and Ken were massive figures; Zac and Khan are not currently. It's too early to tell.

In 2012 Labour beat Tories 42 to 33% in Assembly Member vote. Yet, Boris beat Ken 51.5 to 48.5%. 2012 was the omnishambles budget. My canvass returns say to date that Tories will get a swing at Assembly Member level and that is backed up by lots of Labour canvassers I know who corroborate. How much is hard to say, but it could be up to 3.5%. At Mayoral level, it is all about GOTV. with just 38.1% turnout last time, many supporters may not be voters. That will mean either Khan or Zac may be ahead in opinion polls but lose.

I think for such a high profile post, there's a really pitiful choice of candidates all the way down the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_mayoral_election,_2016

I didn't vote in 2012 (a contest that I regarded as being between a creep and a clown), and I'm very unlikely to vote this time either.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

50/1 in May 2014.
    Do you have the betslip in your top drawer :D ?
    No, I only got onto the Zac bandwagon at 22/1
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Better than being stiffed by William Hill on their next Chelsea manager market !

yeah yeah yeah - lay the favourite
  • Options

Dixie said:

I think for such a high profile post, there's a really pitiful choice of candidates all the way down the list:

I didn't vote in 2012 (a contest that I regarded as being between a creep and a clown), and I'm very unlikely to vote this time either.
    You're right, a pitiful bunch. Zac is hugly clever adn earnest. he will be a great Mayor.

Galloway might be a surprise but he won't win. Most of his 2nd preferences will go to Khan. But Khan might lose some 2nd preferences because fo Galloway. Gorgeous George claims Jezza is backing him!
  • Options
    I've probably responded to the wrong thing - but I implore PBers to watch this film - it's great, you'll love it-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lay_the_Favorite
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,697
    FPT

viewcode said:

When the exit poll came out Tory maj was 10/1, and even after Nuneaton Tory Majority was around 2/1.

If you have a link to an extant source for either of those two odds, I will think kindly of you.

10/1 Here - Though it is poorly worded

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bookies-odds-general-election-results-9208205
    Um, I've read that link and it says "Following the release of the exit poll, which was based on asking around 20,000 people across the country who they had voted for, William Hill made Cameron 10/1 likely to return to Downing Street and the odds of Ed Miliband resigning before midnight tomorrow were slashed to 6/4.". Given the following line ("The odds on a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition were also dramatically cut to 5/2, with a Conservative minority government odds at 1/1."), and the fact that this was after the exit poll, I infer that these are odds of 1/10, not 10/1.

viewcode said:

When the exit poll came out Tory maj was 10/1, and even after Nuneaton Tory Majority was around 2/1.

If you have a link to an extant source for either of those two odds, I will think kindly of you.

The 2/1 was mentioned on the Nuneaton result thread by the wonderful Tissue_Price

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/664674/#Comment_664674
    He did indeed ("Con Maj is, astonishingly, value @ 2.94"), thank you.
  • Options
    NPXMP has got this very wrong though -

I make most of my (non) profits on 2/1s that I see as 50/50 (toss-ups)

That's Brisky's theory of break-even betting for you
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

You're right, a pitiful bunch. Zac is hugly clever adn earnest. he will be a great Mayor.

Galloway might be a surprise but he won't win. Most of his 2nd preferences will go to Khan. But Khan might lose some 2nd preferences because fo Galloway. Gorgeous George claims Jezza is backing him!
    Zac speaks to the prosperous suburbs of south-west London, but I don't see much evidence of him engaging other parts of the capital. It's very close, but I'd still expect Khan to edge it by default.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, I take a similar approach with F1 stuff. Of course, I'm not averse to longer odds, but they're, naturally, harder to get right.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    If Labour get within 10% of the Tories in the National Vote Share in the local elections on that day, then IMO they should win London. Boris only defied the national trend in 2012 because (for whatever reason) he has such more appeal to young people than any other Tory does.

Currently, I'd predict a Tory lead of about 3-4% in the locals, which should see Sadiq in, and will then give PBTories the vapours because he dares to suggest more non-white people should be policemen.
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, I take a similar approach with F1 stuff. Of course, I'm not averse to longer odds, but they're, naturally, harder to get right.

Yeah, apart from 60/1s that are forgotten to put on of course ;)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bookies-odds-general-election-results-9208205
    Um, I've read that link and it says "Following the release of the exit poll, which was based on asking around 20,000 people across the country who they had voted for, William Hill made Cameron 10/1 likely to return to Downing Street and the odds of Ed Miliband resigning before midnight tomorrow were slashed to 6/4.". Given the following line ("The odds on a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition were also dramatically cut to 5/2, with a Conservative minority government odds at 1/1."), and the fact that this was after the exit poll, I infer that these are odds of 1/10, not 10/1.

viewcode said:

The 2/1 was mentioned on the Nuneaton result thread by the wonderful Tissue_Price

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/664674/#Comment_664674
    This link is better

William Hill was offering odds of 10/1 on Thursday night on the Conservatives having a majority even after exit polls indicated a surprise surge by the party.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3075515/Bookies-Ladbrokes-William-Hill-hammering-shock-General-Election-majority-win-Tories.html
  • Options

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Zac speaks to the prosperous suburbs of south-west London, but I don't see much evidence of him engaging other parts of the capital. It's very close, but I'd still expect Khan to edge it by default.
    Very early to say though as voters haven't made up their mind. Also, rumours Labour are struggling to raise funds and Tories are doing well in that area. Some reds have told me that they may be a bitch fest between Labour politicians, which will unsetlle Khan. Time will tell.
  • Options

Betting on Vettel on pole on form on evens has made money for me as well.

Anyway - let's all bow to Glorious Pulpstar right now. On A Spreadsheet!!!
  • Options
    Just to add, there is one significant factor that might allow Zac to shift the momentum, and that would be if there are further tube strikes in the run-up to the election. Sadiq is too close to the unions for most Londoners' tastes.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, we'll see how he does next year.

Also, Button was 70/1.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

If Labour get within 10% of the Tories in the National Vote Share in the local elections on that day, then IMO they should win London. Boris only defied the national trend in 2012 because (for whatever reason) he has such more appeal to young people than any other Tory does.

Currently, I'd predict a Tory lead of about 3-4% in the locals, which should see Sadiq in, and will then give PBTories the vapours because he dares to suggest more non-white people should be policemen.

Although 2012 was a disaster for Tories, things will be better. Canvassing is showing a swing to blues in London. I think Tory lead will be more than 4 points. Also, don't forget Khan's background does not endear him to many Ethnics, in particular Indians. And Ken rully f*cked off the Jewish fraternity in 2012 as Jezza is doing so too.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    O/T Prices are insane!

Herself declared a wish to go to a particular concert at the Royal Albert Hall in March. I have just booked the tickets in accordance with her standard wish for "nice" seats, not the best but "nice". One hundred and seventeen pounds those two tickets have cost me! Add on the rail fares plus taxis, a bite to eat and a few little drinkies here and there and I am not going to see much change, if any, out of £300. Three hundred fecking quid to take my wife out for the evening! Utter madness.
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, we'll see how he does next year.

Also, Button was 70/1.

You're taking the Piss!!!!!!!!!!! Obama was 50/1 - Button 60/1 - every long term F1 fan lurker here knows that!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 you're suffering from that effect thing
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938

O/T Prices are insane!

Herself declared a wish to go to a particular concert at the Royal Albert Hall in March. I have just booked the tickets in accordance with her standard wish for "nice" seats, not the best but "nice". One hundred and seventeen pounds those two tickets have cost me! Add on the rail fares plus taxis, a bite to eat and a few little drinkies here and there and I am not going to see much change, if any, out of £300. Three hundred fecking quid to take my wife out for the evening! Utter madness.

You'll find that a small price to pay relative to divorce.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, question ye not the Word of Morris.

Mr. Llama, that is mad.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800

2) Keeps Jez in place

Indeed, Governments seldom win seats from the Opposition, so it should be a Labour hold but Ken adds a new dynamic, plus the Tories seem quite confident that if not next year, they might take it in 2020.
    Sooner or later, the Conservatives will make it a hat-trick in Wandsworth.

I think I'd give Khan a slight edge, although I think Labour will do worse in the Assembly than in 2012.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Momentum Hampshire
    @angelaeagle You are a Tory. Hoping for a peerage when you get deselected are you?
  • Options

O/T Prices are insane!

I go the proms once or twice a season, and I regard the upper gallery as offering quite good value. You're along way from the arena, but the view is still unrestricted (and there's nothing to stop you taking binoculars). The tickets are roughly one third of the cost of the ones in the stalls.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

2) Keeps Jez in place

Sooner or later, the Conservatives will make it a hat-trick in Wandsworth.

I think I'd give Khan a slight edge, although I think Labour will do worse in the Assembly than in 2012.
    Tory Ealing & HIllingdon Candidate is particularly good. And of course Conservatives won't have that arse Brian Coleman in Barnet and Camden.
  • Options

O/T Prices are insane!

I go the proms once or twice a season, and I regard the upper gallery as offering quite good value. You're along way from the arena, but the view is still unrestricted (and there's nothing to stop you taking binoculars). The tickets are roughly one third of the cost of the ones in the stalls.

O/T Prices are insane!

Agreed. Can't take a date there, if it turns sour, you're 300 smackers down!
  • Options

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This link is better

William Hill was offering odds of 10/1 on Thursday night on the Conservatives having a majority even after exit polls indicated a surprise surge by the party.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3075515/Bookies-Ladbrokes-William-Hill-hammering-shock-General-Election-majority-win-Tories.html
    Thank you. I know William Hill had odds of 10/1 Con OM on the day before, so the fact that they left it in place even after the exit poll is notable. SPIN went suspended at approx 9:40pm and came back at 10:15pm, slashing their odds after the 10pm exit poll. I think from this William Hill are slower to adjust their odds than they should be: a good betting tip, methinks...:-)
  • Options
    The rail fare alone unless we booked a year in advance would cost me and Ms Briskin over 300 quid so take solace in that Hurst.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

O/T Prices are insane!

Quite right, Mr. Nashe, and given the choice that would be my preference too, one is there to listen not watch after all. However, if I booked seats in the "Gods" as she would see it then I would never hear the end of the matter.
  • Options

Momentum Hampshire
    @angelaeagle You are a Tory. Hoping for a peerage when you get deselected are you?

Isn't it great to be a real Tory. ha ha ha. Poor old Labour. (This is definitely not hubris btw. Thats very bad and lots of water to go under the bridge etc. But you have to laugh at the state of mind of the thicko left.)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This link is better

Thank you. I know William Hill had odds of 10/1 Con OM on the day before, so the fact that they left it in place even after the exit poll is notable. SPIN went suspended at approx 9:40pm and came back at 10:15pm, slashing their odds after the 10pm exit poll. I think from this William Hill are slower to adjust their odds than they should be: a good betting tip, methinks...:-)
    I know someone who managed to put on 30 grand post exit polls at 9/1. Quite frankly, his return was superb but even at 10 pm on election night, I would have said that was too risky. Hats off to him.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I know someone who managed to put on 30 grand post exit polls at 9/1. Quite frankly, his return was superb but even at 10 pm on election night, I would have said that was too risky. Hats off to him.
    And it does amaze how slow/stupid some of the betting organisations were to not slash their odds wihtin seconds of getting the exit poll. Still, that's betting. Good luck to those that piled on the bets and well done to my old mucker who made a killing.

• Options
    "30 grand"
  • Options
    Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This link is better

Indeed
  • Options
    Step aside Pulpstar - our new overlord is out there somewhere
  • Options

O/T Prices are insane!

Quite right, Mr. Nashe, and given the choice that would be my preference too, one is there to listen not watch after all. However, if I booked seats in the "Gods" as she would see it then I would never hear the end of the matter.
    Thankfully, my other half is a little more tolerant ... and has a head for heights.

I recall a few years ago ordering two large glasses of white plonk during the interval, and being a little surprised by the negligible amount of change I got from a £20 note. So my advice would be to ensure that she's either fully satiated beforehand, or prepared to wait for refreshment until after the show!
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

"30 grand"

Indeed. I was amazed that anyone took such a huge bet. Clearly they took him for a mug. I actually took him for a mug too. But he received the biggest payout I have ever known in political betting.
  • Options
    Sorry to lower the tone, but this is the story in Manchester

'Is it a crime to have an erection in public?' Police defend hunt for excited man in Lyrca

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cyclist-erection-lycra-manchester-police-10666441

Follows on from this

Man in Lycra 'with an erection' hunted by Manchester city centre police

Police received the call reporting a man in 'a state of arousal' on Tuesday afternoon – and officers immediately launched a search

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/man-lycra-with-erection-hunted-10664094
  • Options
    Dixie said:

JBriskin said:

"30 grand"

Indeed. I was amazed that anyone took such a huge bet. Clearly they took him for a mug. I actually took him for a mug too. But he received the biggest payout I have ever known in political betting.
    Aye - just hope it was all within his bankroll eh.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This link is better

Unless I see documentary evidence I don't believe you.
  • Options
    John Rentoul
    Top Tweet Aug 2015 He's usually right, and this time he is again: @JananGanesh FT https://t.co/OYOD6iqh8W https://t.co/xVYxtuOqy0
  • Options
    Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This link is better

Fair play to them for that bet. Did we ever find out the identity of the Glaswegian punter that took Shadsy's for a mortgage-sized chunk on the Con majority?

Better than Obama and Button was 100/1 on Corbyn that was still there for an hour or two after he had been nominated!
  • Options
    Seems like overkill

Kay Burley
    Royal Navy on way to scene of bus trapped in #flood water in Ayrshire
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, aye, wish I'd backed Corbyn.

Labour MPs are such bloody fools. What were they thinking?
  • Options

Abbot mark 2 presumably...
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Very early to say though as voters haven't made up their mind. Also, rumours Labour are struggling to raise funds and Tories are doing well in that area. Some reds have told me that they may be a bitch fest between Labour politicians, which will unsetlle Khan. Time will tell.
    I do not see the Mayor of London as being a big deal one way or the other. The London demographic generally seems a Labour one and the job is a mickey mouse one anyway. Good luck to either candidate, they will both upset their opponents in fairly equal measure. The one which cannot avoid upsetting his opponents voters the most will probably lose.
  • Options

Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

>

I can't prove it as I only have his word although the fella is a humble type, not prone to hyperbole and straight as a dye. But he laid out his case, explained what he did that evening, explained the options he had, made his bets and claims to have won. He follows your bets very closely, Mike, and that is why until 10 pm he didn't bet on Tory majority. Post exit poll, he decided to make his own decisions.
  • Options

Dixie said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

I can't prove it as I only have his word although the fella is a humble type, not prone to hyperbole and straight as a dye. But he laid out his case, explained what he did that evening, explained the options he had, made his bets and claims to have won. He follows your bets very closely, Mike, and that is why until 10 pm he didn't bet on Tory majority. Post exit poll, he decided to make his own decisions.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

I do not see the Mayor of London as being a big deal one way or the other. The London demographic generally seems a Labour one and the job is a mickey mouse one anyway. Good luck to either candidate, they will both upset their opponents in fairly equal measure. The one which cannot avoid upsetting his opponents voters the most will probably lose.
    It's true to say that it doesn't come with much in the way of real power. However, it's a fantastic opportunity to raise political profile, not just nationally, but internationally too.
  • Options
    #30grandgate
  • Options

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

Although Mayor is about to get more powers with devolution and a £17 Billion budget. I assume bigger than Scotland's under Nicola but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    For trivia lovers. 100 things we didn't know this year... Most kangaroos are left handed and only 4% of babies are born on the due date http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35132976
  • Options

Quite literally the best tenner I ever spent! Obviously didn't predict the result that far out, but was on the other three nominees already at good odds from the days after the election and thought it was a good covering bet.

Finished about £900 up on the contest, huge for me if small by PB standards. Happy to have won the bet, if not so happy at how it turned out for the poor Labour Party.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

huge for me if small by PB standards.

Most here don't bet
  • Options
    Hense when you getting betting threads you get #30grandgate stories
  • Options

'Is it a crime to have an erection in public?' Police defend hunt for excited man in Lyrca

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cyclist-erection-lycra-manchester-police-10666441

Follows on from this

Police received the call reporting a man in 'a state of arousal' on Tuesday afternoon – and officers immediately launched a search

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/man-lycra-with-erection-hunted-10664094

You lower the tone TSE? Never!
    As long as he isn't waving it around in public, how can it be a crime?
  • Options
    Thanks to Mike for pointing out the unlikeness of that scenario
  • Options

Follows on from this

You lower the tone TSE? Never!

As long as he isn't waving it around in public, how can it be a crime?
    If the wearing of Lycra out in public is not a crime, then it bloody well should be…
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Diane Abbott on sky news just now about the racist comments of letwin 30 years ago and how the Tories are still racist and the nasty party.

Abbott attacking other people on racism is just laughable,what a country we live in,it's a joke.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

I'd like to ask Alastair Meeks whether he expected UKIP to finish around 5 percentage points ahead of the LDs in the popular vote at the general election. Not trying to make a point, just genuinely interested.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Danny565 said:

I would expect the national share to be very similar, certainly not the scale of the GE, I agree on the 3-4% ahead, but I think if they are that far ahead on the vote they'll keep London mayoralty.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

I'd like to ask Alastair Meeks whether he expected UKIP to finish around 5 percentage points ahead of the LDs in the popular vote at the general election. Not trying to make a point, just genuinely interested.

I don't think anyone did. My forecast - a month before - was for UKIP to get 13% and 2 seats, and the LibDems to get 10% and 14 seats. Early in the campaign, in fact, there were a number of polls that suggested it could be LDs 12%, UKIP 11% or something like that. But the LDs underperformed throughout the campaign, while UKIP improved its standing.
  • Options
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

I would expect the national share to be very similar, certainly not the scale of the GE, I agree on the 3-4% ahead, but I think if they are that far ahead on the vote they'll keep London mayoralty.

I wonder how the second preferences will go in the mayoral vote...
This discussion has been closed.