Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review 2015 : Part One

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review 2015 : Part One

It was fairly obvious as soon as Big Ben chimed midnight ushering in the arrival of 2015 that everyone’s mind would instantly focus on the general election (indeed some of the parties started campaigning almost immediately the Christmas decorations came down) but local by-elections are no respecter of national campaigns and within days of those decorations coming down the local by-election circus started up again in Bolsover where Labour were seeking to defend Bolsover North West.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    First? Thanks Harry for the excellent coverage.
  • SeanT said:

I take issue with Our Genial's assertion that Heathrow has been "neutralised". Quite a lot of Londoners, possibly a majority, really really WANT a new runway at Heathrow - people like me - and will be hacked off at both main candidates thereby.

So these votes might go to the candidate seen as being less religiously anti-Heathrow. That's Khan.

Either way, I am pretty sure Khan is going to win, unless Corbyn and Co do something brutally lunatic, interim

Like not sending a Christmas greeting?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

unless Corbyn and Co do something brutally lunatic, interim

What are the chances...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I take issue with Our Genial's assertion that Heathrow has been "neutralised". Quite a lot of Londoners, possibly a majority, really really WANT a new runway at Heathrow - people like me - and will be hacked off at both main candidates thereby.

So these votes might go to the candidate seen as being less religiously anti-Heathrow. That's Khan.

Either way, I am pretty sure Khan is going to win, unless Corbyn and Co do something brutally lunatic, interim

Nah, Jeremy will have to publicly frot the Queen, or something. Oldham showed there are enough core Labour voters to see home a Corbyn-led Labour in core Labour areas, and London is the absolute heart of Corbyn-land. Khan will get the ethnic minority votes, the middle class lefty votes, and most of the Greens and students and the rest.

The Bojo Coalition will dissolve. Unless Corbyn Frots the Queen.

I think Labour would actually have to get into power with Corbyn as PM for the core vote to be at risk.
  • tlg86 said:

First? Thanks Harry for the excellent coverage.

Seconded.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    BBC4 currently showing what was voted the greatest film of all time for the last few years: Hitchcock's Vertigo from 1958.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Thanks for all the hard work Harry - by election headers are great as they provide some of the few definite data points in a sea of suggestion, argument and opinion polling!
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    SeanT said:

Why would a new runway at Heathrow be unpopular? It will bring economic benefits, jobs and increase the airport's capacity.

Putting the 4th and 5th runways in at Hartsfield generated little opposition as the benefits were obvious.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

BBC4 currently showing what was voted the greatest film of all time for the last few years: Hitchcock's Vertigo from 1958.

Herrmann's music is sensational. Kim Novak is a revelation.
    @nickeardley: Confirmed: Conservative election strategist Lynton Crosby knighted in New Year Honours
    @camillalong: Wow, some really awful people in the New Year's Honours list. Worse than usual
  • AndyJS said:

Don't understand the critical obsession with Vertigo. I wouldn't even put it in Hitchcock's top five.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

Glad that you say so. When I hear Londoners oppose Heathrow expansion it makes me wish that by some magic we could move the capital's whole infrastructure to the Midlands and start over.
    @rosseaston: The full #NewYearsHonours list has been published. https://t.co/f2LazVFtZS
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Herrmann's music is sensational. Kim Novak is a revelation.
    Not many people know that in addition to the partnership with Hitchcock he also scored Citizen Kane and TV series The Twilight Zone and Have Gun Will Travel.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Why would a new runway at Heathrow be unpopular? It will bring economic benefits, jobs and increase the airport's capacity.

Putting the 4th and 5th runways in at Hartsfield generated little opposition as the benefits were obvious.
    It's not unpopular, except among a very vocal group of wealthy middle class people in several marginal West London seats.

AndyJS said:

Don't understand the critical obsession with Vertigo. I wouldn't even put it in Hitchcock's top five.
    It's Psycho, The Birds and - oddly - Torn Curtain for me
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

It's not unpopular, except among a very vocal group of wealthy middle class people in several marginal West London seats.
    Just so. Complete and utter pillocks.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Arise Sir Crisby. My favourite Australian.
    Scott_P said:

@nickeardley: Confirmed: Conservative election strategist Lynton Crosby knighted in New Year Honours

Well earned!

I wonder which Lynton, Crosby or Anthony Charles, will die higher up the honour tree.
    Wanderer said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

I'm a West Londoner who'd be strongly in favour. I reckon, on average, I'd get between 60-90 minutes a week freed up as a result.
  • AndyJS said:

James Stewart's finest role IMO.
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Politics trumps economics and common sense. Imagine my surprise.

What is the reason for their objection? Given modern jet engines it could hardly be noise, as was the case in the days of KACAN.
    Charles said:

Wanderer said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

I'm a West Londoner who'd be strongly in favour. I reckon, on average, I'd get between 60-90 minutes a week freed up as a result.
    The way I see it, there are economic benefits for a lot of people, mild inconvenience for a few. And those few are essentially complaining that living in a big bustling modern city is sometimes a bit noisy.
  • I've just finished watching the first series of the Killing (yes, I know it's nearly ten years old). I've not enjoyed a TV series so much in years.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited December 2015
    Ed Davey becomes Sir Ed. Love the Telegraph reporting:

"Ed Davey, the former Liberal Democrat Energy Secretary who helped lead his party to near wipeout in the General Election, has been given a knighthood."

For services to the country by destroying any chance of the Lib Dems ever getting near power again I presume.

AndyJS said:

Better than It's a Wonderful Life or Mr Smith Goes To Washington - the two movies he's best known for?
  • Watching Vertigo. Just struck me how much of a pain in the arse driving around SF must be.
    Scott_P said:

@camillalong: Wow, some really awful people in the New Year's Honours list. Worse than usual

I love that tweet. Everyone on the list can think she's referring to them. Chris Froome - bastard!

I've just finished watching the first series of the Killing (yes, I know it's nearly ten years old). I've not enjoyed a TV series so much in years.

It gets better with 2 and 3 too!
  • Sorry didn't see the headline. Interesting
    Darn, a pillar of the Corbynite regime as well.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

SNIP

What is the reason for their objection? Given modern jet engines it could hardly be noise, as was the case in the days of KACAN.

KACAN? – not the Turkish author I presume…
  • One for Sunil

End of the paper train ticket as railways 'go paperless'

Exclusive: Passengers will be able "buy" journeys online and travel carrying just the bank card with which they paid, The Telegraph can reveal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12075299/End-of-the-paper-train-ticket-as-railways-go-paperless.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

I've just finished watching the first series of the Killing (yes, I know it's nearly ten years old). I've not enjoyed a TV series so much in years.

No, it doesn't. At least, not with the Danish version.

Or are you referring to the deeply inferior US version?
    We were watching the Danish version here. Not very festive, I know, but compulsive viewing.
  • Wanderer said:

Darn, a pillar of the Corbynite regime as well.
    Corbyn's reaction when he saw the front page of The Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLp4GJeVl0
  • One for Sunil

Exclusive: Passengers will be able "buy" journeys online and travel carrying just the bank card with which they paid, The Telegraph can reveal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12075299/End-of-the-paper-train-ticket-as-railways-go-paperless.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Surely that will take a lot longer for the guard to check. It can't be done contactless because there is a £30 limit on that at the moment.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I feel quite sorry for Danczuk, tbh. He does not seem altogether well.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

And God knows how many people who drive around the M25. The section between the M3 and the M40 is already pretty much a traffic jam for most of the day and frequently at a standstill. Attracting even more traffic to Heathrow is not going to help matters.

Then there is the cost to the public purse. Heathrow itself will fund the works within the airport perimeter but the associated and necessary infrastructure will fall on the taxpayer. About £13bn if I recall correctly and that was just the estimate, the final total is sure to be much higher.

But if frees up an hour a week of Charles's time no price is too high.
    KACAN is (or was in the 70s) the Kew Association for Controlling Aircraft Noise.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    edited December 2015

One for Sunil

Surely that will take a lot longer for the guard to check. It can't be done contactless because there is a £30 limit on that at the moment.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, especially when I do my regular travel from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston, and the ticket is close to £500
  • One for Sunil

That'll be an improvement on the awful new design of train tickets.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

One for Sunil

If it's done right, it should be as simple as swiping a card. I don't think the contactless thing applies here, since they will have to be paid for before hand.
  • Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Better than It's a Wonderful Life or Mr Smith Goes To Washington - the two movies he's best known for?
    Yes.

I love both those films too, and James Stewart is never less than captivating. But in Vertigo he gives everything. The tower suicide scene we really see the fear/terror and paralysis of the vertigo he suffered.
  • One for Sunil

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, especially when I do my regular travel from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston, and the ticket is close to £500
    The article says the barriers won't take payment, just check the central database to see what tickets have been bought with that card. It's plausible.
  • One for Sunil

The article says the barriers won't take payment, just check the central database to see what tickets have been bought with that card. It's plausible.
    One of the reasons I stopped banking with RBS/Natwest was when they regularly went down for days on end, what would happen then?

I'm turning into a Luddite as I get older
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nah, Jeremy will have to publicly frot the Queen, or something. Oldham showed there are enough core Labour voters to see home a Corbyn-led Labour in core Labour areas, and London is the absolute heart of Corbyn-land. Khan will get the ethnic minority votes, the middle class lefty votes, and most of the Greens and students and the rest.

Khan won't get my middle-class lefty vote.

Why do you really really WANT a new runway at Heathrow? There are already two runways there, and lots of flights to lots of places. You sound a bit - what's the word - petulant?

• Danny565 said:

He's the Lembit Opik de nos jours.
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

The US version is is just dreadful. Ditto The Bridge. Most people here don't know that these are remakes.
  • I've just finished watching the first series of the Killing (yes, I know it's nearly ten years old). I've not enjoyed a TV series so much in years.

The Bridge is better
  • One for Sunil

One of the reasons I stopped banking with RBS/Natwest was when they regularly went down for days on end, what would happen then?

I'm turning into a Luddite as I get older
    It shouldn't need live communication with the banking system. The TFL system certainly doesn't

The Bridge is better
    I think we're going on a Danish crime spree in the near future.
  • RobD said:

One for Sunil

If it's done right, it should be as simple as swiping a card. I don't think the contactless thing applies here, since they will have to be paid for before hand.
    But they still need to be checked on the train and at the station. The article specifically references contactless.
    Scott_P said:

Did they elaborate?

Crosby didn't get his royal dukedom. Disappointing. :p

RobD said:

One for Sunil

But they still need to be checked on the train and at the station. The article specifically references contactless.
    I don't know, but perhaps they have two modes for contactless. One which authorizes a payment, and another which just returns the card number to the reader.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

One for Sunil

About 15 years too late.
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Did they elaborate?

Lin Horner of HMRC has got one.

I'm fuming at that.

I've spent about 3 months of my life on hold to HMRC this year.

HMRC couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
  • One for Sunil

You just tap a pad like Oyster. A credit card is limited at over £30. And you are not paying anyway, you are merely linking to a previously validated payment.
    I see no reason why bus journeys and certain rail journeys cannot be paid direct by tapping a card.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

Me too. Either or both Danczuk could end up in real tragedy. Still it flogs a few more papers to amuse the masses, and keep Rupert in beer.

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

And God knows how many people who drive around the M25. The section between the M3 and the M40 is already pretty much a traffic jam for most of the day and frequently at a standstill. Attracting even more traffic to Heathrow is not going to help matters.

Then there is the cost to the public purse. Heathrow itself will fund the works within the airport perimeter but the associated and necessary infrastructure will fall on the taxpayer. About £13bn if I recall correctly and that was just the estimate, the final total is sure to be much higher.

I would also be similarly convenienced. We've just doubled the economic benefit!
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2015
    RobD said:

One for Sunil

It most likely will be done using the same system as picking up pre purchase tickets from machines. You only have to enter the card you purchased it with to get the tickets.

Just take the tickets out of the system and the same can be done on board a train with mobile hand held whatever the ticket cost. Mind you I see issues with people not carrying the correct card perhaps?

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Quite
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

We were watching the Danish version here. Not very festive, I know, but compulsive viewing.
    The Danish version, series 1, is - in my mind - arguably one of the greatest TV dramas ever made. Certainly top 5 in the last decade. Sadly, it then steeply declines.

Ignore the utterly redundant US re-make.
    I found S1 excellent, if perhaps 4-5 episodes too long. One too many turns in the case for me maybe

The Bridge is better
    In what way? Plenty of people say as much, but I have to say after a promising start I thought it declined rapidly and was just silly by the end (although I did only watch it once, years ago, so I'd be hard pressed to explain exactly where I felt it all went wrong), so am curious what other people see in it.
    edited December 2015

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Did they elaborate?

I'm fuming at that.

Was his gong for services to the telecom industry? Titters......
  • @ThatTimWalker: This looks very much like the #honourslist of a Government that is only too well aware it faces no serious Opposition.
  • TomTom Posts: 273
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

The Danish version, series 1, is - in my mind - arguably one of the greatest TV dramas ever made. Certainly top 5 in the last decade. Sadly, it then steeply declines.

Only downside is you will occasionally find yourself saying in a mock Danish accent nana birk Larsen and trolls Hartmann.

The Bridge is better
    The latest series of the Bridge is terrific. Tragic characters, many laugh out loud moments, atmospheric, gory dark plot. And then that music!
    edited December 2015
    Two questions on the ticket story here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12075299/End-of-the-paper-train-ticket-as-railways-go-paperless.html

1) why is buy in quotation marks. Are we not actually going to be buying them or something.
    2) why is the customer doing his daily lunges while buying his ticket?
  • One for Sunil

You just tap a pad like Oyster. A credit card is limited at over £30. And you are not paying anyway, you are merely linking to a previously validated payment.
    I see no reason why bus journeys and certain rail journeys cannot be paid direct by tapping a card.
    A contactless credit card is not over £30. The limit just went up from £20 to £30 in September

One for Sunil

That price is amazing. I just checked the price of a train ticket from Atlanta to New York City, a distance of almost 900 miles.

The cheapest seat is $124.95. A flexible ticket is $239.70. The most expensive option - A viewliner roomette (bunk to you and me) is $302.95.

So from $125 to $300 on a 900 mile trip, vs $750 for a 200 mile trip to Euston.

That is stunning.

One for Sunil

A contactless credit card is not over £30. The limit just went up from £20 to £30 in September
    But the key point is you won't be paying at that stage.
    RobD said:

2) why is the customer doing his daily lunges while buying his ticket?

Efficiency. You should always try to do at least two tasks at once.
    Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That price is amazing. I just checked the price of a train ticket from Atlanta to New York City, a distance of almost 900 miles.

The cheapest seat is $124.95. A flexible ticket is $239.70. The most expensive option - A viewliner roomette (bunk to you and me) is $302.95.

That is stunning.
    You clearly haven't experienced the sheer splendor and opulence of the British railways.
  • SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

I found S1 excellent, if perhaps 4-5 episodes too long. One too many turns in the case for me maybe

The Bridge is better
    In what way? Plenty of people say as much, but I have to say after a promising start I thought it declined rapidly and was just silly by the end (although I did only watch it once, years ago, so I'd be hard pressed to explain exactly where I felt it all went wrong), so am curious what other people see in it.
    Agreed. The Bridge is good, but no more than many modern police procedurals. TV drama is now of a very high standard, generally (e.g. the Bridge was no better than Spirals, from France, and not as good as Broadchurch, from the UK)

But the original Danish version of the Killing, series one, has a visceral, painful, hypnotic and addictive quality that is virtually unexampled in TV. It is, relatedly, quite superbly acted and scripted.

It was a strike of creative lightning, I believe. Every single element was brilliantly nailed, except perhaps the ending, but even that was still pretty good.

A genuine jewel.

What did you think of Les Revenants? ( not seen S2 yet )
  • RobD said:

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    You clearly haven't experienced the sheer splendor and opulence of the British railways.
    As a matter of interest what is the journey time in the US
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    That's an open first class return ticket, the most expensive ticket.

If I buy an advance purchase ticket, I can do it for around £100.

If I went pleb class I could do it for around £45
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Pollution and noise.

But if it wasn't that, it would be something else. Basically they live in a very nice part of the country and they want to keep it that way, regardless of the cost to everyone else.
  • Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    £470 is the full fare 1st class return, and there's really very little excuse for anyone ever paying it. Especially for regular travel.

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.

If I buy an advance purchase ticket, I can do it for around £150.

If I went pleb class I could do it for around £100
    Even pleb class is still amazingly expensive by comparison.
    edited December 2015

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    £470 is the full fare 1st class return, and there's really very little excuse for anyone ever paying it. Especially for regular travel.
    Sometimes I get about an hour's notice that I have to go to London.

Fortunately I have very understanding employers
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

One for Sunil

It most likely will be done using the same system as picking up pre purchase tickets from machines. You only have to enter the card you purchased it with to get the tickets.

Just take the tickets out of the system and the same can be done on board a train with mobile hand held whatever the ticket cost. Mind you I see issues with people not carrying the correct card perhaps?
    Or people who are travelling on tickets paid for by someone else. How will it work if, for example, a parent wants to buy a ticket for their teenager who is going to visit a friend? What about children using the train to get to the their school in the town two stops up the line?

How long will it take for the card readers at the automatic barriers to authorise the person to go through - if it is more than 2 seconds Victoria Station, for one, will come to a halt, especially during rush hour.

Taking tickets out of the system sounds like a good idea but it really needs to be thought through.
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Khan won't get my middle-class lefty vote.

Why do you really really WANT a new runway at Heathrow? There are already two runways there, and lots of flights to lots of places. You sound a bit - what's the word - petulant?

Your name, Barnesian. I dunno. It sounds a bit, well, twattish? Like some whingeing, bourgeois fart from Barnes?
    Barnes/Islington. Perhaps we're twinned?

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    Like paying £10k for a first class airline ticket to the states. Much cheaper to use air miles ;)

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

I'm marginal to any national decision - I will travel as much as I do regardless. Personally I will get significant personal utility from the extra time (It's about a 25% increase in the time I get to spend with my family on days when I travel).

IANAE when it comes to the traffic and the EVA, but that's why we had an independent commission examine the case in detail. And they unambigiously recommended Heathrow. So that seems to be the logical thing to do.
  • Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.

See my edit, pleb class can be done for less than £50
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.

Indeed. I had to pay something like £120 for the privilege of going from Somerset to Middlesbrough, it brought tears to my eyes.
  • Scott_P said:

Indeed, Barbara Windsor is now a Dame ffs – The perennial barmaid is now up there with the likes of Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Kristin Scott Thomas.

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

The Bridge is better
    Agreed. The Bridge is good, but no more than many modern police procedurals. TV drama is now of a very high standard, generally (e.g. the Bridge was no better than Spirals, from France, and not as good as Broadchurch, from the UK)

But the original Danish version of the Killing, series one, has a visceral, painful, hypnotic and addictive quality that is virtually unexampled in TV. It is, relatedly, quite superbly acted and scripted.

It was a strike of creative lightning, I believe. Every single element was brilliantly nailed, except perhaps the ending, but even that was still pretty good.

A genuine jewel.

A bit "Twin Peaks". Muisc great.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

The Bridge is better

A genuine jewel.

Great idea, nice beginning, but soon got incoherent, boring and silly, to the extent I gave up. And I give up TV series much less easily than, these days, I give up novels.

I just gave up Da Vinci's Demons, with great regret. Series 1 was fab (if ludicrous), series 2, meh, series 3... oh god. Dreadful.

Shows how hard it is. Scriptwriting and producing these things is a science AND an art.
    I know what you mean, but we perceivered until the end of s1 and overall loved it.

Still, we have new x files and twin peaks to look forward ( or should that be back ) to.
  • Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.

Standard class advance tickets start at £15. You do need to book them pretty much as soon as they become available, though, to get them that cheap.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Did they elaborate?

I'm fuming at that.

Not even in Borehamwood?
  • Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    Sometimes I get about an hour's notice that I have to go to London.

Fortunately I have very understanding employers
    Travel for urgent business is one of the few exceptions. I wouldn't stump up for first class though.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Even though the Tories hired Lynton, Labour could have just watched one of his tutorial videos on Youtube !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_YareK6WKk
  • One for Sunil

I thought the journey was £82 return off-peak.

BTW I still haven't gone north of Kidsgrove or Alderley Edge into Manchester Piccadilly (but could be doing it as early as Monday).

Coming tomorrow: Sunil's Great British Railway Review of 2015.

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

One for Sunil

Or people who are travelling on tickets paid for by someone else. How will it work if, for example, a parent wants to buy a ticket for their teenager who is going to visit a friend? What about children using the train to get to the their school in the town two stops up the line?

How long will it take for the card readers at the automatic barriers to authorise the person to go through - if it is more than 2 seconds Victoria Station, for one, will come to a halt, especially during rush hour.

Taking tickets out of the system sounds like a good idea but it really needs to be thought through.
    I'm sure there will be a paper option still.

Oyster is very fast, despite there being millions of database entries. The number of valid tickets on any given day is probably less than that, and can be stored locally. I doubt it will be any slower.
    Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.
    The US rail system is heavily subsidised ;)
  • kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

One for Sunil

That is stunning.

Indeed. I had to pay something like £120 for the privilege of going from Somerset to Middlesbrough, it brought tears to my eyes.
    You had to go to Middlesbrough?

You were being punished, what naughty thing did you do to deserve that?

You said "FPTP is superior to AV" didn't you?
This discussion has been closed.