Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Star War images: Jedi Jezza and Stormtrooper Osbo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Star War images: Jedi Jezza and Stormtrooper Osbo

An old joke was given fresh legs just before Christmas when George Osborne set out to sprinkle some stardust on his image with an appearance at the premiere of Star Wars.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Osborne may well be a star wars villain but I'd choose that any day over the joke that is Jar Jar Binks / Corbyn.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    The reshuffle might make him look temporarily look weaker, but I'm not sure he has another option - he looks weak already given just how divided the Shadow Cabinet is (different views and all that, but on some pretty major issues some have indicated they barely tolerate him), so even if it drowns out other stories, the benefits of a bit more front bench support, even if not taken to the extremes of culling all the unworthy, might be preferable to the status quo.
  • Options
    The Jedi were all but wiped out by The Stormtroopers.

I can see Jedi Corbyn being wiped out by Osborne's Stormtroopers in 2020.

Commander Sir Lynton execute order 66
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I hope you've all taken note of my new beach body ready resolution.

I can't wait to see what Jezza does with his reshuffle. Diane as SFSec would be marvellous. But I'm expecting something outre and very amusing WTFery too.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    So Corbyn said politics is not about winning. He must have just been looking at his favourability ratings?
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    The fundamental problem for him is that he has no-one with any talent to bring through. The left in the PLP, the Unions and the wider party have been intellectually moribund for years which is why we have Corbyn (helped by McDonell and Livingstone's long term acolytes) and not Iglesias or Tsipiras.

If he had competent or inspiring people to bring through a re-shuffle could be a sign of strength but promoting say Abbott (if it is she) would just emphasise his weakness. Apparently Burgon was the pick of the new left intake (sniggers). After that he's left with Clive Lewis, Cat Smith and Kate Osamor.

• Options
    Interesting comparison.

If Osborne were Darth Vader, or Darth Maul, that wouldn't be a problem for him.

As for Corbyn being a Jedi, when faced with the Death Star, Luke blew the bloody thing up. He didn't try to negotiate with it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,919
    “Revenge is not very Jedi. It’s also not very new politics.”

We've already seen what the 'new politics' comprises. It's the same as the 'old politics', except it's wrapped up with a bow that the usual idiots will like.
  • Options
    Is John Trickett use or ornament? Or neither?
    Tom said:

The fundamental problem for him is that he has no-one with any talent to bring through. The left in the PLP, the Unions and the wider party have been intellectually moribund for years which is why we have Corbyn (helped by McDonell and Livingstone's long term acolytes) and not Iglesias or Tsipiras.

If he had competent or inspiring people to bring through a re-shuffle could be a sign of strength but promoting say Abbott (if it is she) would just emphasise his weakness. Apparently Burgon was the pick of the new left intake (sniggers). After that he's left with Clive Lewis, Cat Smith and Kate Osamor.

• Options
    FPT:

Tony Martin's in the news again:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35206113
  • Options
    These are not the voters we are looking for...

Interesting comparison.

As for Corbyn being a Jedi, when faced with the Death Star, Luke blew the bloody thing up. He didn't try to negotiate with it.

• Options

Is John Trickett use or ornament? Or neither?

Tom said:

Decent bloke but uninspiring I'm told. Never met him personally.
  • Options
    Happy New Year PBers.

Early I know but I'm out this evening Manchester and the mobile networks get congested at that time.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

FPT:

The police and CPS seem to be after him after being humiliated so badly at the time of his original incarceration. It feels like a very personal attack on this man.
  • Options

I believe Return of the Jedi was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi. They may have changed the name for the very reason revenge was not very Jedi like, although personally I think saying you are one thing and doing another would be very Jedi like, so decrying revenge while taking it would fit them.
  • Options
    If Osborne is Darth Vader, remember he hunted down and killed all of the Jedi except one and a couple of potentials (his children). It's pretty apt in that sense given how the Tories eviscerated Labour and the Lib Dems in May.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    How can corbyn be any less effective as an opposition leader than he currently is?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I believe Return of the Jedi was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi. They may have changed the name for the very reason revenge was not very Jedi like, although personally I think saying you are one thing and doing another would be very Jedi like, so decrying revenge while taking it would fit them.
    Wasn't it a fake title that Lucas deliberately had leaked in order to mislead?
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, he could march through London next to a banner of Stalin.

Wait a minute...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Barack Obama confirms 'a pretty sizeable percentage' of world leaders are 'out of their minds'

'The longer they stay in office, the more likely that is to happen'"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/barack-obama-world-leaders-jerry-seinfeld-comedians-in-cars-getting-coffee-a6791611.html#commentsDiv
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2015

The Danczuk thing is almost too convenient.

Who is "controlling" the 17 year old girl?

Perhaps I am just too much of a cynic, but this feels right out of the Francis Urquart playbook.

Take an existing weakness of an enemy, set him up and watch him fall.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment....

Lets not forget that UKIP guy (Bird?) who tripped up the same way.

All these anti-Corynism Labour "moderates" not doing themselves a lot of favours.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Am I take it that Mr Brind will be joining the Labourites4Osborne movement?

I fear though that the Tories picking a leader who is statistically tied with Corbyn and who trailed Andy Burnham in "best PM" polls is surely too much to dream for.
  • Options

Interesting comparison.

Corbyn's position in Star Wars would be made so much easier had Palpatine declared the First Galactic People's Republic and appointed himself General Secretary instead of getting carried away with grandiose titles.
  • Options
    http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8899376?1451574386

Jeremy Corbyn's New Year Message Is Here

• Options

Happy New Year PBers.

Early I know but I'm out this evening Manchester and the mobile networks get congested at that time.

Not clad in Lycra I hope.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

The police and CPS seem to be after him after being humiliated so badly at the time of his original incarceration. It feels like a very personal attack on this man.
    It's perhaps more likely that he can no longer get a licence because of his criminal record... but has a firearm anyway.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I'll be voting for whoever is opposing Osborne. People just don't like him. Even Tories and right leaning types. People who "nothing" Dave and just find him bland but on the whole acceptable vehemently despise Osborne. Someone I know said it like this - "if something like a soul exists, it is very clear that Osborne doesn't have one". I think that's the problem. Something about him just feels off, you can't really tell what it is, but it's there. I know people who have met him and they all say he is a nice guy, nicer than Dave in real life, but I also know lots of people who said the same about Ed Miliband and Ed Balls, and look where they ended up.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015

Perhaps I am just too much of a cynic, but this feels right out of the Francis Urquart playbook.

All these anti-Corynism Labour "moderates" not doing themselves a lot of favours.
    Afternoon all

Simon Danczuk was a marked man for his outspokenness against the Labour leadership and has helpfully provided them with the pretext for his suspension.

Must admit I’ve very little sympathy for him over such daft behaviour – however this does store up problems for Jeremy and accusations of cronyism when a loyalists MP actually does something illegal or far worse and is not treated equally or punished accordingly.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Danny565 said:
    That would be Happy Christmas for 2010 right? :smile:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

FPT:

It's perhaps more likely that he can no longer get a licence because of his criminal record... but has a firearm anyway.
    A criminal record he should not have and does not deserve. It's probable that you are right, but this still feels vindictive.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Danny565 said:

I fear though that the Tories picking a leader who is statistically tied with Corbyn and who trailed Andy Burnham in "best PM" polls is surely too much to dream for.

I know you like to trot out the 'statistically tied' line a few times a day, but there is a difference. Osborne is Chancellor, and has been for 5 years. Corbo is a backbencher and out of his depth. If he succeeds Cameron he will be against either a backbench serial rebel who cannot command the support of his own MPs, or someone who, mostly likely, has never served in government.

With the correction of the long-biased boundary changes and no respite in Scotland on the horizon, the job for Labour is monumental.

It needs a fabulous character and a tremendous crisis, probably economic, for any Labour leader to have a chance with a 20% lead in personal opinion ratings, let alone a 'statistical tie'
  • Options

Happy New Year PBers.

Not clad in Lycra I hope.
    God no. Black jeans and in either this shirt

http://www.circle-fashion.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_0105_5.jpg

Or this one

http://www.togged.com/images/products/xxlarge/12995994502882A.jpg

Or maybe this

http://edge.paulsmith.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/n/pnpb-s315-423-45.jpg

Please note, if you suffer from epilepsy don't click any of the above links.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

I'll be voting for whoever is opposing Osborne. People just don't like him. Even Tories and right leaning types. People who "nothing" Dave and just find him bland but on the whole acceptable vehemently despise Osborne. Someone I know said it like this - "if something like a soul exists, it is very clear that Osborne doesn't have one". I think that's the problem. Something about him just feels off, you can't really tell what it is, but it's there. I know people who have met him and they all say he is a nice guy, nicer than Dave in real life, but I also know lots of people who said the same about Ed Miliband and Ed Balls, and look where they ended up.
    Agreed. Cameron, despite us lefties' best efforts, never really aroused much visceral hostility; he does just come across as a pleasant enough guy on a personal level, whatever you think of his politics. Osborne does not.
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, by chance, the bit in Antigonus' biography I've reached draws a similar comparison between Antigonus (who had undoubted command of his army) and Eumenes (who had to negotiate, compromise and so forth).

Although Eumenes was very competent (arguably a genius up there with the first rank of generals), Antigonus was no fool, and in the end Antigonus won.
  • Options
    Mr. 565, suppose it's not Osborne. What does the new leader do with him?

Foreign or Home Secretary seem the most obvious answers.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The reason Osborne is disliked by lefties is because he scares the crap out of them..he gets plus points from me for that alone..
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35204398

Labour's Simon Danczuk suspended over 'inappropriate behaviour'

Good thing he didn't move over to UKIP. The MSM would have had field fortnight instead of just a field day for this labour MP.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting article by James Bartholomew:

"Where’s all the joy gone? Britain seems to be suffering from a dearth of lightheartedness"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/wheres-all-the-joy-gone/
  • Options

Foreign Sec or party chairman.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    "Underwhelming?" Underwhelming?

Send this man for re-education immediately. Such lack of faith is not to be tolerated.
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, by chance, the bit in Antigonus' biography I've reached draws a similar comparison between Antigonus (who had undoubted command of his army) and Eumenes (who had to negotiate, compromise and so forth).

Although Eumenes was very competent (arguably a genius up there with the first rank of generals), Antigonus was no fool, and in the end Antigonus won.

Always excellent to have a classical justification for Tory victories! :-)
  • Options
    Simon Danczuk's fate may lie in the hands of Ken Livingstone.. He's f***ed.
    https://t.co/bTwg91Dc0i https://t.co/YpwrWXqnl7
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foreign Sec or party chairman.
    I expect Osbo would retire - perhaps to the Lords. I could see him taking the Mandelson route.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Only fair though, given the largesse from Labour to Tory re Corbyn.

Danny565 said:
    That would be Happy Christmas for 2010 right? :smile:
    The original birth, I believe.

The reason Osborne is disliked by lefties is because he scares the crap out of them..he gets plus points from me for that alone..

That's the same logic Corbynistas use about people being scared of Corbyn and so mock and ridicule him.

• Options

This would be squeaky clean Ken Livingstone, with x kids by y different mothers, secret children, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, more Jabba than Jedi.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Where’s all the joy gone? Britain seems to be suffering from a dearth of lightheartedness"

AndyJS said:

More like depressing article.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The reshuffle might make him look temporarily look weaker, but I'm not sure he has another option - he looks weak already given just how divided the Shadow Cabinet is (different views and all that, but on some pretty major issues some have indicated they barely tolerate him), so even if it drowns out other stories, the benefits of a bit more front bench support, even if not taken to the extremes of culling all the unworthy, might be preferable to the status quo.

If Corbyn's New Shadow Cabinet have more members who agree with him, he'll make some really monumental blunders - as they will all agree with him..

So far his public awareness - public net Labour members- is about 5% .. which bodes ill for the future.

G Osborne is of course better - on 7%,..:-)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NCPoliticsUK: First time since 1951 that the Tories have ended an election-winning year with a bigger lead than on polling day... https://t.co/6cdhE0sOEA

Happy New Year...
  • Options

Depends if Osborne wants to stay in politics if he misses the boat. A quick retirement and then lucrative positions in the City could beckon. If he does want to stay, then the easy option is to keep him in post. He might not be an asset to the Tories as leader but he is as Chancellor.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan: I will defeat Zac. The only question is how I do it

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/i-wont-be-jeremy-corbyns-man-in-london-says-sadiq-khan/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: First time since 1951 that the Tories have ended an election-winning year with a bigger lead than on polling day... https://t.co/6cdhE0sOEA

Happy New Year...

Clears throat....CCCCCCCorbynism sweeping the nation...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

Happy New Year...

1987?

EDIT: I stand corrected -- average Tory lead in Dec 1987 was 11%, which is bigger than the Tory lead this month, but was indeed slightly smaller than the Tory lead at the 1987 election.
  • Options
    Labour are fortunate the Lib Dems didn't weather the storm better, UKIP failed (again), and the SNP stop at the border.

On the other hand, if Labour faced a more obvious threat to their status as second party perhaps they wouldn't've been so stupid to put Corbyn on the ballot...
  • Options

Labour are fortunate the Lib Dems didn't weather the storm better, UKIP failed (again), and the SNP stop at the border.

On the other hand, if Labour faced a more obvious threat to their status as second party perhaps they wouldn't've been so stupid to put Corbyn on the ballot...

Bang on the money. And don't forget the Greens. The current vacuum in opposition gives Labour a false impression of its 'core vote' which Oldham re-enforced.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Depends if Osborne wants to stay in politics if he misses the boat. A quick retirement and then lucrative positions in the City could beckon. If he does want to stay, then the easy option is to keep him in post. He might not be an asset to the Tories as leader but he is as Chancellor.
    There are some, in fact quite a few, in industry and commerce who might already disagree with your last sentence. If, as I think likely, the business cycle turns down before 2020 many more will perhaps realise what a God awful chancellor Osborne has been. He may have done great things for the Conservative Party, but he has failed to make the necessary meaningful reforms of the tax system and UK economy to move us on from the debt fuelled, consumption-lead, wealth exporting mess Brown left us with.

And on that happy note I am off up the pub. We have an early meeting of the Hurstpierpoint and District Gentlemen's Temperance Society.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This year, the TV producers have somehow contrived to outdo themselves. Viewers tuning into STV, the Scottish version of ITV, will be treated to a Hogmanay special hosted by the talented (if politically misguided) actress Elaine C. Smith, who will present from a replica of her parents 1970s living room. This is not a wind-up; it is true. Smith is a raving Scottish Nationalist, but this does not make her unusual and political affiliations should be no bar to presenting couthy television shows. What is deeply weird though is the choice of guests on the show. The SNP leader and Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and her mother and her sister are the main attraction. The other guest is a pro-SNP “comedian”.

Any SNP supporter who cannot see that this initiative is mildly disturbing, that it has an almost Peronist flavour, needs to consider how bizarre it would look if ITV in England put on an “at home with the Camerons” special on Christmas Day. It simply wouldn’t happen.
    http://www.capx.co/the-snp-has-even-managed-to-ruin-hogmanay/
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Of course he needs to do a reshuffle and get rid of the conspirators.
    The biggest problem for Labour, that can be treated, is the constant attacks and conspiracies by unnamed shadow cabinet members against their own party.

Any decent party leader would fire them and I expect Corbyn to do so, after all their position is appointed to them by Corbyn, so why would he keep people who constantly try to undermine the party instead of doing the job that they where appointed.
  • Options

Afternoon all

Simon Danczuk was a marked man for his outspokenness against the Labour leadership and has helpfully provided them with the pretext for his suspension.

Must admit I’ve very little sympathy for him over such daft behaviour – however this does store up problems for Jeremy and accusations of cronyism when a loyalists MP actually does something illegal or far worse and is not treated equally or punished accordingly.
    One might argue that they've already established that with Andrew Fisher's treatment. Sure, calling on people to vote for another party is on one level very different from alleged criminal activity. On another though, for membership of a political party, it should be a slam-dunk expulsion.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

This year, the TV producers have somehow contrived to outdo themselves. Viewers tuning into STV, the Scottish version of ITV, will be treated to a Hogmanay special hosted by the talented (if politically misguided) actress Elaine C. Smith, who will present from a replica of her parents 1970s living room. This is not a wind-up; it is true. Smith is a raving Scottish Nationalist, but this does not make her unusual and political affiliations should be no bar to presenting couthy television shows. What is deeply weird though is the choice of guests on the show. The SNP leader and Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and her mother and her sister are the main attraction. The other guest is a pro-SNP “comedian”.

Any SNP supporter who cannot see that this initiative is mildly disturbing, that it has an almost Peronist flavour, needs to consider how bizarre it would look if ITV in England put on an “at home with the Camerons” special on Christmas Day. It simply wouldn’t happen.

They do a "at home with the Cameron's relatives" each year, its called the Queen's speech ;-)

That STV show sounds like a right riot, not...won't be tuning into that.
  • Options

There are some, in fact quite a few, in industry and commerce who might already disagree with your last sentence. If, as I think likely, the business cycle turns down before 2020 many more will perhaps realise what a God awful chancellor Osborne has been. He may have done great things for the Conservative Party, but he has failed to make the necessary meaningful reforms of the tax system and UK economy to move us on from the debt fuelled, consumption-lead, wealth exporting mess Brown left us with.

And on that happy note I am off up the pub. We have an early meeting of the Hurstpierpoint and District Gentlemen's Temperance Society.
    I do have a little sympathy with that, particularly with regard to tax reform, which is entirely within his province. I think you're being a bit harsh re the economy overall. There's only so much that any government can do, particularly one that inherits an enormous deficit and has to steer a path between on the one hand losing the confidence of the funding markets, and on the other, ensuring that the economy doesn't trip back into recession. That said, now that growth is re-established, he has more scope for tackling those problems and isn't really taking them on as much as I'd like.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

If there is a by-election ( not a very high chance, I see Danczuk staying as an independent till 2020), Labour are quite safe as it has a more than 12000 majority, population more Asian than Oldham West, UKIP and the Tories a tad lower than in Oldham and a decent LD vote to squeeze.
    If there is a by-election in Rochdale the question will be if Labour can get more than 50% of the vote.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The biggest problem for Labour, that can be treated, is the constant attacks and conspiracies by unnamed shadow cabinet members against their own party.

Any decent party leader would fire them and I expect Corbyn to do so, after all their position is appointed to them by Corbyn, so why would he keep people who constantly try to undermine the party instead of doing the job that they where appointed.

About 90% of the PLP did not want Corbyn and most of those are hostile to his views. Furthermore, the careerists have to make a call as to whether it's in their interests to climb the greasy pole of a ship that may be sinking.

Corbyn doesn't have many people to choose from to replace those he sacks and if he can find some, they may not stand up to the scrutiny the media will subject the front bench to.

But that doesn't affect the fundamental problem, which is that his control over the PLP is minimal. Sacking ministers (or shadow ministers) doesn't always look like a sign of strength.
  • Options

This would be squeaky clean Ken Livingstone, with x kids by y different mothers, secret children, etc etc etc.
    Bizarrely, he claims to find it odd that you would find someone aged 17 attractive. Well, bollocks to that, it's what we're genetically programmed to do, especially when she appears to be flirting with you by text. It seems odd that she kept this up for two months before apparently finding it distasteful. Maybe it's just that she realised she wouldn't get a job out of him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    First time since 1951 that the Tories have ended an election-winning year with a bigger lead than on polling day...
    @Britainelects December polling average Con 38.8%, Labour 31.2%, UKIP 13%, LD 6.8%, Green 4.2%
    https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jeremy Corbyn struggled to find enough Labour MPs willing to join his shadow cabinet just 3 months ago, he can’t keep sacking MPs that fail to show unswerving loyalty or he’ll end up with just Abbott and Andy Burnham sitting on the front bench at PMQs.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, don't forget Mao.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    I will say Happy New Year from the Philippines now before I slide under the table from too much Gammon and sparkling wine... May I wish you all a politically prosperous (and entertaining) new year!
  • Options
    I'm about to open the fizz here and will no doubt fall asleep well before midnight - HNY to you too! :smiley:
    Indigo said:

I will say Happy New Year from the Philippines now before I slide under the table from too much Gammon and sparkling wine... May I wish you all a politically prosperous (and entertaining) new year!

• Options
    Mr. Indigo, gammon's damned tasty.

Don't abuse your liver overmuch.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

First time since 1951 that the Tories have ended an election-winning year with a bigger lead than on polling day...
    @Britainelects December polling average Con 38.8%, Labour 31.2%, UKIP 13%, LD 6.8%, Green 4.2%

Although Labour did it in 1997 and 2001, I think?
  • Options
    How marvellously gruesome

Times Archive
    Not a single gory detail spared in this 1859 news story https://t.co/1O2RbOvwlB
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, yeah, but then the Opposition was in disarray and the Government went on to win the next election.

Ahem.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Mr. Indigo, gammon's damned tasty.

Don't abuse your liver overmuch.

Should be safe, its almost 1am and dinner is just finished, another glass or two will required to aid sleeping after too much eating ;)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Out on the Piss on NYE without Mrs BJ for the 1st time in 22 yrs

HNY to all PBers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited December 2015

HYUFD said:

Although Labour did it in 1997 and 2001, I think?
    Yes but this is the first time the Tories have done it since 1951 and of course given the Tories won the 1955 election and Labour the 2001 and 2005 elections not greatly encouraging for Corbynistas
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Scott_P said:

Who would be interested in the big baw faces that Tories or Labour could put up.
    Guests need to have some talent.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, yeah, but then the Opposition was in disarray and the Government went on to win the next election.

Ahem.

Speaking of which, I tried sorting my West Indies cricket data into a multi-dimensional electronic filing system but that also ended in dis array.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    edited December 2015

Times Archive

LOL. And a big improvement on the annoying unspecifity of the modern press who are content to refer to "a sex act" and often fail to say exactly what crime(s) someone is accused of.
  • Options

Times Archive

LOL. And a big improvement on the annoying unspecifity of the modern press who are content to refer to "a sex act" and often fail to say exactly what crime(s) someone is accused of.

Times Archive

Or even what they said that they are being condemned for, so how can I know how offended to be?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

About 90% of the PLP did not want Corbyn and most of those are hostile to his views. Furthermore, the careerists have to make a call as to whether it's in their interests to climb the greasy pole of a ship that may be sinking.

Corbyn doesn't have many people to choose from to replace those he sacks and if he can find some, they may not stand up to the scrutiny the media will subject the front bench to.

But that doesn't affect the fundamental problem, which is that his control over the PLP is minimal. Sacking ministers (or shadow ministers) doesn't always look like a sign of strength.

Although I've been saying that Corbyn's own position is safe a cack-handed revenge reshuffle is one way he could come unstuck, I think.

Firstly, it could taint one positive in his personal brand which is that most people (not me!) think he's a good person that means well.

Secondly, as you say, he will lose people some of whom are at least adequate at their jobs and replace them with people who probably aren't (going by the fact that they are presumably worse than Richard Burgon or they'd already be in post).

Thirdly, it's really slamming the door on what he needs to do in the longer term which is build a bridge back to the refuseniks like Cooper and Hunt. His goal should be, eventually, to get them into the tent saying, "You know what. Jeremy's OK. We can work together against the Tories." A night of the long knives now makes that impossible and confirms him as the leader of a faction within his party, not the whole.

He could end up with a complete joke of a shadow cabinet (it's only a partial joke now) and no way back.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    YEP Guests certainly do need to have some talent..this line up is clicker fodder..Intelligent Scots will have much better things to do..
  • Options

Times Archive

Amen. We all sound ridiculous when striking a moralising tone but even more so when we don't know what we are moralising about.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Although I've been saying that Corbyn's own position is safe a cack-handed revenge reshuffle is one way he could come unstuck, I think.

Firstly, it could taint one positive in his personal brand which is that most people (not me!) think he's a good person that means well.

Secondly, as you say, he will lose people some of whom are at least adequate at their jobs and replace them with people who probably aren't (going by the fact that they are presumably worse than Richard Burgon or they'd already be in post).

Thirdly, it's really slamming the door on what he needs to do in the longer term which is build a bridge back to the refuseniks like Cooper and Hunt. His goal should be, eventually, to get them into the tent saying, "You know what. Jeremy's OK. We can work together against the Tories." A night of the long knives now makes that impossible and confirms him as the leader of a faction within his party, not the whole.

He could end up with a complete joke of a shadow cabinet (it's only a partial joke now) and no way back.
    Unless the PLP is prepared to rebel outright and operate as a party within a party, he's safe as long as the membership has his back. For 2016, as long as he can bring home some prize out of the election - London, probably - they'll stick behind him and the MPs will find it very difficult to force Corbyn out, even if he's not prepared to compromise (which he won't be).

Ultimately, it's a numbers game and the two key numbers are these: only about 20-25 MPs positively nominated Corbyn, and 60% of Labour's electoral college voted for him. Those two facts stand in contradiction to each other and until they come into alignment, Labour will continue to suffer massive internal tensions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Times Archive

Times Archive

Or even what they said that they are being condemned for, so how can I know how offended to be?
    And that. I tend to think they are afraid that if we are told what people said, we would think that it was OK, or at least a bit dodgy but we've all said something worse. I am still trying to work out what is so wrong about Oliver Letwin pointing out that in the past poor communities didn't riot, I mean the Great Depression was famous for inner-city riots all over the UK, and questioning what caused it at Broadwater Farm.
  • Options
    A new Year's Eve terror attack has been foiled by police in New York.
    According to officials 25-year-old Emanuel Lutchman, who has been charged with attempting to provide material support to the so-called Islamic State, was allegedly plotting a machete attack on diners at a Rochester restaurant in the name of ISIS.
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-12-31/new-years-eve-terror-attack-foiled-in-new-york/
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Unless the PLP is prepared to rebel outright and operate as a party within a party, he's safe as long as the membership has his back. For 2016, as long as he can bring home some prize out of the election - London, probably - they'll stick behind him and the MPs will find it very difficult to force Corbyn out, even if he's not prepared to compromise (which he won't be).

Ultimately, it's a numbers game and the two key numbers are these: only about 20-25 MPs positively nominated Corbyn, and 60% of Labour's electoral college voted for him. Those two facts stand in contradiction to each other and until they come into alignment, Labour will continue to suffer massive internal tensions.
    He's certainly fine for 2016. I'm thinking about him getting through to 2020. It's a long way off if he alienates too many of the non-Corbynistas who were initially prepared to work with him.

But sure, it's about numbers and he really isn't vulnerable. He could, however, remain in post while having an excruciating time of it.
  • Options
    Mandy isn't impressed

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/31/jeremy-corbyn-labour-future-peter-mandelson
    Labour is a broad church – Jeremy Corbyn is turning it into a narrow sect bound for the abyss
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    And one for all Dome lovers :wink:

Tonight we're gonna party like it's #OnThisDay 1999! https://t.co/howSca1eOo
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Can tell I'm a Social Scientist innit -

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/682528290939256835
  • Options
    "Osborne’s image as a Star Wars villain is well established on the Left"

Neatly encapsulating the problem the Lefty Left have and why they are going to lose badly next election and everyone after it until they fundamentally change their world view.

The sensible left wing posters on here don't see Osborne or practically any other mainstream politician as some sort of evil to be defeated both politically and morally. They see a man who has a somewhat different view of the best solutions for problems both sides recognise.

I forget who it was the other day (Kle4 or Surbiton) but that is exactly how they put the whole question of political differences. More importantly that is also how the vast majority of the public see both sets of party leaders as well.

The Tories won in May partly because they were able to portray Miliband as ineffectual and a figure of fun. Dangerous to people's futures not by design but by ineptitude. Invariably this is how one side beats the other. Major lost in 97 because of this, Brown in 2010 for the same reason. Not because they were viewed as inherently evil in some fantasy novel sense but because they were viewed as just not very good at what they did.

The Tories get this. That is why, in the end, they will continue to win elections and Labour - under its current direction of travel - will continue to lose them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    'Conhome readers' != 'Tory members'

David Davis is a walking disaster area for the Conservatives. A small man who cannot put aside his own image and petty grievances.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JBriskin said:

Can tell I'm a Social Scientist innit -

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/682528290939256835

I can't get my head around that she is married to manager of those well known quiet sober early to bed types, AC/DC, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I some how doubt the above are following Louise advice in celebrating New Year.
This discussion has been closed.