Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just like in the 80s a Benn is causing headaches for the La

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just like in the 80s a Benn is causing headaches for the Labour leader

Jeremy Corbyn is lining up Emily Thornberry as his new foreign secretary to replace Hilary Benn, in a reshuffle of his shadow cabinet expected next week, the Sunday Telegraph understands.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    First!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Not Diane then? Anyway, what is the mechanism for toppling Corbyn?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    "Additionally the logic behind Corbyn wanting his top team to speak with one voice on foreign and defence issues is impeccable, and actually shows real political nous by Corbyn"

Not bad from Corby, the one who constantly rebelled against his own front bench hundreds of times. Yes I do recognise that he was not in cabinet when he did so but the dividing line between the front bench and the back bench is only a few rows. You can read 'rows' as in rows of seats or angry disagreements ..( both work in this case)

" opponents should not estimate him" ....mmmmmm

Considering that he is about to place his closet opponent for leadership on the back benches, ( he won't accept a lesser role) pee off both of the Eagle sisters and consequently have them as well as just about all of the PLP outside the tent peeing in ... Nope let's not underestimate Corby for total fuckwittery of the most highest order.

Ah well he can always rely on Andy, Dianne and Emily I suppose .....these colossus of the political arena.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

I can only assume Ms Thornberry’s appointment is a two fingered gesture to white van man.

Great decision, what can go wrong..?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    edited January 2016
    "If the PLP don’t respond to this latest provocation by Jeremy Corbyn, then it will be further proof that Corbyn will remain Leader until the general election as the PLP are as impotent as a eunuch."
    Yes, with knobs on! It's now or never for the Labour MPs, if they don't resign en masse from the party whip then they're implicitly supporting Corbyn as their leader for the next few years.
  • Options

Morning all.

I can only assume Ms Thornberry’s appointment is a two fingered gesture to white van man.

Apart from the danger of handing dozens of Northern WWC seats to UKIP, not too much to go wrong at all!

• Options
    edited January 2016

Not Diane then? Anyway, what is the mechanism for toppling Corbyn?

35 MPs can call an election as a challenge, but Corbyn's automatically on the ballot if he chooses, same process that got him elected in the first place with all the three quidders again.

He's basically leader until he chooses to resign, or until the wider Labour 'community' of members, TU members and £3ers decide to vote for a specific someone else! The MPs as a group are almost completely neutered by the new electoral system once the process is underway.
  • Options
    ezekielziggyezekielziggy Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    "I feel respect when I see this reshuffle" - Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Oh dear, poor little Daily Mail getting an absolute slating on the Farrage " wheels falling off" story. Accusations that the top comment " who cares" has being been manipulated under the arrow voting system.

The replies to this first comment are interesting including this one.....

LofADay___, London, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
    It's high time this paper grew a pair and started supporting Farage and did something about the hackers with 9000 green arrows on this in an hour (2000 in 10 secs and 4000 in 10 mins). I will hold the DM responsible if something happens to this man.

It also has one of the worst photoshop's ever published depicting the actual event.... (Top guys not back from the New Year celebs yet then obviously. )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382294/Nigel-Farage-s-car-wheels-sabotaged-assassination-attempt-Ukip-leader-lost-control-Volvo-wheel-fell-motorway-police-confirm-foul-play.html#ixzz3w9wXyL1r
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

"If the PLP don’t respond to this latest provocation by Jeremy Corbyn, then it will be further proof that Corbyn will remain Leader until the general election as the PLP are as impotent as a eunuch."
    Yes, with knobs on! It's now or never for the Labour MPs, if they don't resign en masse from the party whip then they're implicitly supporting Corbyn as their leader for the next few years.

Delicious...

*Positions comfy chair, "puffs up" cushions and confirms adequate popcorn supplies available and within reach*
  • Options
    Tim Shipman, Political Editor of The Sunday Times headlines this morning:
    "PM must go if he loses EU vote", adding that half his Cabinet believe this to be the case. I think it's likely that Cameron probably also believes this himself.

We have here a potentially massive story, whereby the "Leave" faction might just prevail in the referendum as a result of attracting a sufficient number of anti-Cameron voters from the Labour, SNP, etc ranks who might otherwise vote to Remain. They might well see this as the only realistic prospect of removing the Tories from power at the 2020 General Election and they could just be right.

Add to this a further significant number from all parts of the political divide who are sure to be disappointed by the meagre concessions secured by Cameron from his EU counterparts, who believe that the real bargaining will only occur if and when the UK is on the very point of leaving the EU and you have the very real prospect of a victory being achieved by the Leavers. A further possible complication would be a very narrow win for Remain, which was only achieved by a very pro-EU vote by the Scots, with the English by contrast voting to leave - it seems doubtful that Cameron would have the authority to continue were this to be the case.

There are therefore potentially interesting times ahead with best-priced Paddy Power's odds of 15/8 for a Leave vote appearing to have certain attractions.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Oh dear, poor little Daily Mail getting an absolute slating on the Farrage " wheels falling off" story. Accusations that the top comment " who cares" has being been manipulated under the arrow voting system.

It's high time this paper grew a pair and started supporting Farage and did something about the hackers with 9000 green arrows on this in an hour (2000 in 10 secs and 4000 in 10 mins). I will hold the DM responsible if something happens to this man.

It also has one of the worst photoshop's ever published depicting the actual event.... (Top guys not back from the New Year celebs yet then obviously. )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382294/Nigel-Farage-s-car-wheels-sabotaged-assassination-attempt-Ukip-leader-lost-control-Volvo-wheel-fell-motorway-police-confirm-foul-play.html#ixzz3w9wXyL1r

FPT: Volvo recall for dodgy wheel nuts even without hordes of anti-Farage assassins
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=F0E0D8B14EAE38C0802577C000465F45
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Moses_ said:

FPT: Volvo recall for dodgy wheel nuts even without hordes of anti-Farage assassins
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=F0E0D8B14EAE38C0802577C000465F45
    On all four at once?

I don't like Farage, but the story as reported is rather grave.

Hopefully the French police have opened an inquiry into what happened. At the very least, surely they would have impounded his car for forensic tests?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,714

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

Hopefully the French police have opened an inquiry into what happened. At the very least, surely they would have impounded his car for forensic tests?
    Was Farage's car subject to the recall and if so did he respond to the recall and take it to the garage?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

"As reported" may be the key here. As you say, if the French police really did think there was an issue here wouldn't they have investigated further? Indeed, wouldn't Farage have insisted on it? Instead, it seems that no action was taken and that Farage himself did not pursue the matter.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    MPs accepted the pay rise recommendation by IPSA on the grounds of 'independent process'.

Will they accept this one ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382417/MPs-fury-bid-student-halls-order-save-second-home-expenses.html
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

Was Farage's car subject to the recall and if so did he respond to the recall and take it to the garage?
    Why don't you ask him? Farage has made some quite serious claims there, and they should be taken at face value.

If it's true, we've got to hope the police will get to the bottom off it, and he increases his own security. And if he's lying, it'll come out in time.

As I said in my previous post, surely the French police should have opened an investigation?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

"As reported" may be the key here. As you say, if the French police really did think there was an issue here wouldn't they have investigated further? Indeed, wouldn't Farage have insisted on it? Instead, it seems that no action was taken and that Farage himself did not pursue the matter.

Do we know no further action was taken and it was not investigated further? (I might have missed it in the article).
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

From the Mail story: Last night, Eric Fouard, the prosecutor for Dunkirk, said he was not aware of any investigation into the accident involving Mr Farage.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

From the Mail story: Last night, Eric Fouard, the prosecutor for Dunkirk, said he was not aware of any investigation into the accident involving Mr Farage.
    Ah okay, I missed that. Sorry.

Surely the options are:
    *) the investigation was outside Mr Fouard's remit (why?),
    *) the police on the scene mistakenly told Farage incorrect information (believable)
    *) Farage genuinely misheard or misunderstood
    *) Farage is lying and using his own incompetence to garner sympathy

• Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

Ah okay, I missed that. Sorry.

Surely the options are:
    *) the investigation was outside Mr Fouard's remit (why?),
    *) the police on the scene mistakenly told Farage incorrect information (believable)
    *) Farage genuinely misheard or misunderstood
    *) Farage is lying and using his own incompetence to garner sympathy

The last three could all be part of the truth.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Corbyn doesn't like the anthem, Thornberry doesn't like the flag. A match made in Heaven :)

On a more serious note, she's an airhead incompetent brimming with condescension. I also agree that if the PLP do nothing then they've shown themselves to be as ineffectual as Softsword.

The one voice issue is not legitimate because it follows Corbyn offering a free vote and then, if this is an accurate forecast, effectively sacking someone for not following the leader's line.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,961

"PM must go if he loses EU vote", adding that half his Cabinet believe this to be the case. I think it's likely that Cameron probably also believes this himself.

We have here a potentially massive story, whereby the "Leave" faction might just prevail in the referendum as a result of attracting a sufficient number of anti-Cameron voters from the Labour, SNP, etc ranks who might otherwise vote to Remain. They might well see this as the only realistic prospect of removing the Tories from power at the 2020 General Election and they could just be right.

Add to this a further significant number from all parts of the political divide who are sure to be disappointed by the meagre concessions secured by Cameron from his EU counterparts, who believe that the real bargaining will only occur if and when the UK is on the very point of leaving the EU and you have the very real prospect of a victory being achieved by the Leavers. A further possible complication would be a very narrow win for Remain, which was only achieved by a very pro-EU vote by the Scots, with the English by contrast voting to leave - it seems doubtful that Cameron would have the authority to continue were this to be the case.

There are therefore potentially interesting times ahead with best-priced Paddy Power's odds of 15/8 for a Leave vote appearing to have certain attractions.

I disagree: people will vote for this on its merits. (Or rather, it's perceived merits, given the appalling amount of misinformation spewing from all sides.)
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, Cameron's going anyway. Voting Leave to get rid of him a little bit earlier would seem a shade demented to me.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, Cameron's going anyway. Voting Leave to get rid of him a little bit earlier would seem a shade demented to me.

Do you think he will become totally deluded and become Middle Eastern Peace Envoy or somesuch afterwards?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, one suspects the future of Mr. Cameron will be decided by Mrs. Cameron.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:
    https://twitter.com/IsraelNewsNow/status/683507013356105729
  • Options

Mr. 1000, one suspects the future of Mr. Cameron will be decided by Mrs. Cameron.

I suspect that, too.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    When Dave does go it will be to spend more time with his box sets
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

I don't often agree with you, Mr K, but on this we are in total alignment.

I would also point out that Saudi Arabia is no less a discriminatory state than South Africa was.
  • Options

When Dave does go it will be to spend more time with his box sets

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    Foreign Office "clarifies" that former ministers shouldn't receive British consular assistance such as free accommodation, security and help setting up local meetings, when travelling abroad in a private or professional capacity.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/12078659/Tony-Blair-is-banned-from-staying-at-British-embassies-on-commercial-missions.html
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I wonder how much, if at all, Blair cares that the people in the country he used to govern consider him, by and large, to be a four letter word.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, I wonder how much, if at all, Blair cares that the people in the country he used to govern consider him, by and large, to be a four letter word.

Hero?
  • Options

Ha, true. He gives the impression of being a family man who would like to spend time watching his kids grow up, away from the pressure of office. It's a side-effect of politicians becoming younger, and of people in general marrying later in life.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited January 2016

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Actually - no, she's not a lesbian so it should be Mrs Thornberry - except that also she seems unable to manage the simplest tasks and change her married surname to Mrs Nugee.

Almost as absent-minded as the LoTO who forgot to add his name to the birth certificate of his son.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

I would also point out that Saudi Arabia is no less a discriminatory state than South Africa was.
    Saudi Arabia is a squalid country with whom we should sup with a very long spoon. It has refused to sign up to the UN Convention on Human Rights because it does not agree with the bit about freedom of religion. No great surprise there but why we permit it and its agents to use its money to spread its vile ideology in our country is a mystery.

On the previous thread there was a discussion about Philby et al. Quite why such people were attracted to Soviet Russia even in the 1930's when there was plenty of evidence, for those willing to see (cf Orwell and Koestler), of how vile it was is another mystery but at least most of the West understood that the ideology of Communism was a threat. Whereas there is still too much of a reluctance to understand that Islamism - and the states who sponsor and promote it - like Saudi Arabia and others are also a threat, and not just to unrestrained capitalism but to liberal democracy, which is rather more valuable.

We may have to deal with such states for raisons d'etat but we do not have to embrace them. It's the difference between being polite and calling someone "friends", I suppose.

On topic: is Corbyn quite as left- wing as all that? If this story is to be believed he's proposing replacing the mere grandson of a Viscount with a Lady. Still, given her property empire she'll have plenty to talk about with Jon Lansman.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Actually - no, she's not a lesbian so it should be Mrs Thornberry - except that also she seems unable to manage the simplest tasks and change her married surname to Mrs Nugee.

Almost as absent-minded as the LoTO who forgot to add his name to the birth certificate of his son.
    Her brother-in-law, Andrew Nugee, used to be my boss 21 years ago...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Ahem. Lady Nugee, if you please. No mere "Mrs" for La Thornberry.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Is that not because she wouldn't be Mrs Nugee, but Lady Nugee? Maybe she doesn't think the plebs would appreciate a Labour MP with a title, even one acquired through marriage.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    "Vote Leave to get rid of Dave" is a two-edged sword as it implies "Vote Remain to keep Dave." (Actually, logically it doesn't, but it would be taken that way.) I'm not sure that would be beneficial for Leave.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

Elf'n'safety gone mad, innit.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

Saudi Arabia is a squalid country with whom we should sup with a very long spoon. It has refused to sign up to the UN Convention on Human Rights because it does not agree with the bit about freedom of religion. No great surprise there but why we permit it and its agents to use its money to spread its vile ideology in our country is a mystery.
    Saudi Arabia has been able to behave in the way it does because it has ensured that the West was able to get the oil it needs, at a reasonable price. In return we offered it security, and turned a blind eye to it exporting its particularly unpleasant strain of Islamofascism.

But Saudi Arabia's time in the sun is drawing to a close, and therefore, also much of the threat from ISIS/Al Queda.

The late George Mitchell's pioneering work in using hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling to open up the tight oil and gas fields of North America (techniques that will be exported around the world) is breaking Saudi Arabia's monopoly.

And the dramatic improvements in battery and solar technology mean that our previously insatiable desire for oil may slow, and perhaps reverse.

ISIS and Al Queda have always depended on rich paymasters. In a world of $30 oil, there are no rich paymasters.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, but small scale attacks (lone wolves who grab a kitchen knife and run amok, or who drive at pedestrians) need no rich paymaster, nor any organisational hierarchy/infrastructure.

It may be that without the likes of Daesh for inspiration such attacks would cease. But perhaps not.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

It would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall of their upper echelons.

They are having to massively cut government spending this year - due to the low oil price that they've engineered themselves in an attempt to drive out the Russian and unconventional US suppliers in the O&G sector. This is risking local population upsets a la Bahrain a few years ago.

I guess they realise that they're only at the top table because of the realpolitik of the international dependence on their production, and that without that dependence they would be very much in the cold from a Western point of view.

OPEC is now pretty much dead as a concept, with most smaller producers desparate to keep the oil price up. There was an interview on local radio here last week with the CFO of Emirates, he suggests that for his company $80/bl was the sweet spot - lower is better in terms of his costs, but too low and he starts losing customers and those he retains start flying in cheaper cabins as they carefully manage their costs.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mr. 1000, but small scale attacks (lone wolves who grab a kitchen knife and run amok, or who drive at pedestrians) need no rich paymaster, nor any organisational hierarchy/infrastructure.

It may be that without the likes of Daesh for inspiration such attacks would cease. But perhaps not.

In the West, a lot of traditional Mosques have found themselves pushed out and taken over by Wahabbi preachers. Money came from Saudi Arabia and bought them up: either by offering financial support, or building new Mosques.

Without the money, these mosques - the ones that have generated almost all the suicide bombers - will lose market share.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Stokes gets his century - from only 105 balls!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2016
    The cricket so far this morning is EPIC.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

there is still too much of a reluctance to understand that Islamism - and the states who sponsor and promote it - like Saudi Arabia and others are also a threat, and not just to unrestrained capitalism but to liberal democracy, which is rather more valuable.

Well, there is a Labour MP who pointed out (rather forcefully) that Islamism is a threat to liberal democracy, and here we are discussing how he is likely to be sacked.
  • Options
    jeez not sure on can believe what we are seeing 361-5 that's nealy 50 runs so far this am
  • Options
    45 runs in 4 overs
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I think that you are quite wrong in this part of your analysis. There is little anti-Cameron sentiment out there in other parties, though loads of anti-Tory feeling.

I cannot see Labour, LD or other voters seeing the Euro-Ref as a way to bring down Cameron, by voting Leave. He is going shortly after anyway, and replacing him with a Europhobe Tory would be the likely outcome.

The only party that will split over the Euro-ref will be the Tories, and as Remain is something that all of Labour and the Unions back (apart from a handful of isolated backbenchers) we may see unity break out in Labour just as the Tories start a divisive civil war.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

45 runs in 4 overs

Chris Morris has gone for 61 runs in his six overs with the new ball :D

This is like watching a 20/20 match!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Why does whe need to change her married surname to Nugee?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In the West, a lot of traditional Mosques have found themselves pushed out and taken over by Wahabbi preachers. Money came from Saudi Arabia and bought them up: either by offering financial support, or building new Mosques.

Without the money, these mosques - the ones that have generated almost all the suicide bombers - will lose market share.
    We should not wait for the low oil price to work out its effects. We should not permit Saudi funding of mosques and educational establishments in this country.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Quite. Thornberry is a nicer name anyway.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Quite so, what she calls herself is no one else's business.. .. rather fun having her as shadow foreign sec..
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

there is still too much of a reluctance to understand that Islamism - and the states who sponsor and promote it - like Saudi Arabia and others are also a threat, and not just to unrestrained capitalism but to liberal democracy, which is rather more valuable.

Well, there is a Labour MP who pointed out (rather forcefully) that Islamism is a threat to liberal democracy, and here we are discussing how he is likely to be sacked.
    Indeed. And it's why I said on yesterday evening's thread that Corbyn and his mates are a threat to liberal democracy. Or rather to those who value the values of liberal democracy.

• Options
    150 partnership in 148 balls.. Bairstow now on 50
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

'Mrs' Thornberry implies that she's married to, or widowed from, Mr Thornberry. I think the use of Ms in this case is correct.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

Saudi Arabia has been able to behave in the way it does because it has ensured that the West was able to get the oil it needs, at a reasonable price. In return we offered it security, and turned a blind eye to it exporting its particularly unpleasant strain of Islamofascism.

But Saudi Arabia's time in the sun is drawing to a close, and therefore, also much of the threat from ISIS/Al Queda.

The late George Mitchell's pioneering work in using hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling to open up the tight oil and gas fields of North America (techniques that will be exported around the world) is breaking Saudi Arabia's monopoly.

And the dramatic improvements in battery and solar technology mean that our previously insatiable desire for oil may slow, and perhaps reverse.

ISIS and Al Queda have always depended on rich paymasters. In a world of $30 oil, there are no rich paymasters.
    The main pernicious influence from Saudi Arabia is spread by their mosque building in Britain, other European countries and Northern America, (USA & Canada).

But not just any mosque: they are almost all huge buildings with giant minarets, meant to be overbearing and alien to their immediate surroundings. A not so subtle statement of Triumphant Islam and Wahabism, the Saudis own particular brand of Islam.
  • Options
    Okay this is silly now. First half an hour this morning, 60 runs from six overs!
    150 Partnership now, 50 up for Bairstow too.
  • Options
    Stokes in danger of wrapping up the test this morning if he carries on like this.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

'Mrs' Thornberry implies that she's married to, or widowed from, Mr Thornberry. I think the use of Ms in this case is correct.
    Lots of women contine using their own name, even after being married. Nothing wrong with that at all. But if she is going to call herself by her married name, it is not Mrs Nugee but Lady Nugee.
  • Options
    On topic, I don't think the PLP can do anything about this.

I think it's high risk for Corbyn though. Not high risk that he'll be ousted but that his authority is further weakened as moderates will be less inclined to work with him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

I think that Saudi's days are numbered and that we should be distancing ourselves.

They have a looming financial crisis, a war going badly in Yemen, and their factions losing ground to the Shias in Iraq and Syria. It will not be long before they have their own civil war. The executions yesterday are a sign of weakness not of strength. The house of Saud is not immune to the popular discontent with corrupt rulers of the MENA region.

I do think it will be a very messy end, and like much of MENA the replacement likely to be an even more vile Islamist regime.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Lots of women contine using their own name, even after being married. Nothing wrong with that at all. But if she is going to call herself by her married name, it is not Mrs Nugee but Lady Nugee.
    True, but I that's a different point.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,974
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

They are having to massively cut government spending this year - due to the low oil price that they've engineered themselves in an attempt to drive out the Russian and unconventional US suppliers in the O&G sector. This is risking local population upsets a la Bahrain a few years ago.

I guess they realise that they're only at the top table because of the realpolitik of the international dependence on their production, and that without that dependence they would be very much in the cold from a Western point of view.

OPEC is now pretty much dead as a concept, with most smaller producers desparate to keep the oil price up. There was an interview on local radio here last week with the CFO of Emirates, he suggests that for his company $80/bl was the sweet spot - lower is better in terms of his costs, but too low and he starts losing customers and those he retains start flying in cheaper cabins as they carefully manage their costs.

My inkling is that the one reason Saudi is producing oil now is because as the world shifts to Solar and batteries unless you sell it now you may never sell it.

Best to take $30 now rather than nothing later....

That Emirates view is surely unique to them and probably Eastern (who fly mainly to Aberdeen). For anyone else lower oil prices just means lower costs.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

There is a strain of thought that women can call themselves what they want without it "implying" anything.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tomnishambles: Corbyn planning to replace Benn with Thornberry. About time we got rid of that North-centric shad cab & got a Londoner in. #clueless

@theobertram: More London: 20% members from capital (10% in 92). Reshuffle: Barnsley, Leeds, Wallasey out, Islington & Hackney in. https://t.co/Kt9z4OWjej
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

There is a strain of thought that women can call themselves what they want without it "implying" anything.
    A strain of thought which is deluded.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Good Morning all.
    I think this sez it all:

The main pernicious influence from Saudi Arabia is spread by their mosque building in Britain, other European countries and Northern America, (USA & Canada).

But not just any mosque: they are almost all huge buildings with giant minarets, meant to be overbearing and alien to their immediate surroundings. A not so subtle statement of Triumphant Islam and Wahabism, the Saudis own particular brand of Islam.
    Very early mosques were fairly small with open courtyards, but within a century or so Islam copied and modified Byzantine church architecture to the form we see today with domes and minarets.

Mosques are built as large as possible and on sites previously used by other religions, as a military/political statement of conquest. The Al Aqsa mosque on the Temple mount in Jerusalem, the Hagia Sopia in Istanbul (and Blue Mosque on the old Byzantine palace) as well as the Ayodha mosque in India are all examples of this.

Synagogues by contrast are pretty nearly always discrete. My understanding is that they should never attempt to rival Soloman's Temple.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Moses_ said:

On all four at once?

Why don't you ask him? Farage has made some quite serious claims there, and they should be taken at face value.

If it's true, we've got to hope the police will get to the bottom off it, and he increases his own security. And if he's lying, it'll come out in time.

As I said in my previous post, surely the French police should have opened an investigation?
    Where to start with such partisan drivel.

Nigel said he didn't want it taken further, he did nothing at the time until the press found out and contacted him. If he increases his security who foots the bill? Why on earth would the French police open an investigation when a foreigner says he doesn't want to pursue it?

Imagine the furore if Nigel had reported an assassination attempt, he has acted entirely appropriately

• Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

My inkling is that the one reason Saudi is producing oil now is because as the world shifts to Solar and batteries unless you sell it now you may never sell it.

Best to take $30 now rather than nothing later....

That Emirates view is surely unique to them and probably Eastern (who fly mainly to Aberdeen). For anyone else lower oil prices just means lower costs.
    Oil is not only used for transportation and heating, there's also uses in the chemical industry, so there will still be a market for oil in the future, just a potentially much smaller one.
    "Approximately 71 percent of oil is used for transportation, with 48 percent for automobiles, 16 percent for diesel vehicles, and 7 percent for airplanes. Various industrial processes—the chemical industry is the largest—use most of the rest while small amounts are used for heating and electrical generation."
    http://fresh-energy.org/2011/11/energy-101-oil/
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Are you saying only lesbians call themselves 'Ms'?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms.
  • Options
    this over 4/6/1
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2016

I think that you are quite wrong in this part of your analysis. There is little anti-Cameron sentiment out there in other parties, though loads of anti-Tory feeling.

I cannot see Labour, LD or other voters seeing the Euro-Ref as a way to bring down Cameron, by voting Leave. He is going shortly after anyway, and replacing him with a Europhobe Tory would be the likely outcome.

The only party that will split over the Euro-ref will be the Tories, and as Remain is something that all of Labour and the Unions back (apart from a handful of isolated backbenchers) we may see unity break out in Labour just as the Tories start a divisive civil war.
    The unions don't all back remain... The RMT is backing leave. Dave has avoided renegotiating anything on worker's rights as most of the major ones stated they would campaign to leave should that happen. Long term I cannot see the unions remaining in favour of the EU.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

I have an arch feminist friend who lectures in Gender Studies at an eminent University. When she married, she did not take her husbands name, sticking to her her original one. It still niggled her though as she carried her fathers name rather than her mothers name (and of course her mother carried her grandfathers name and so on ad infinitum). Her solution was to renounce all these patriarchal names and choose her own name. She has been known by that name for 20 years now.

A lot of married female doctors (and other professionals) continue to work under their unmarried names, partly because they have established a reputation, and partly because of security. Female doctors can attract stalkers fairly easily and having a different name outside work helps.
  • Options
    What an absolute mess Labour are in, the leader is elected in a landslide now there is talk of ousting him despite there being NO credible alternatives. Corbyn should grow a pair and sack anybody who won't implicitly support him, let's see if anybody has the bollox to come out and stand against him rather whisper from the shadows.

Btw I'm surprised the pbtories arent dancing as they dig Danczuk's grave
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So the Saffers change to spinner Piedt to try and mix things up a little - and he gets hit for 12 off his first over!

100 this morning added to the total inside an hour, from less than 13 overs. Partnership 195 from 189 balls :D
    Eng 420/5 after 100 overs.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Surely men can call themselves whatever they want to. So why should women be any different?

What one may do, and what is the path of wisdom are, of course, two different things.

• Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

I have an arch feminist friend who lectures in Gender Studies at an eminent University. When she married, she did not take her husbands name, sticking to her her original one. It still niggled her though as she carried her fathers name rather than her mothers name (and of course her mother carried her grandfathers name and so on ad infinitum). Her solution was to renounce all these patriarchal names and choose her own name. She has been known by that name for 20 years now.

A lot of married female doctors (and other professionals) continue to work under their unmarried names, partly because they have established a reputation, and partly because of security. Female doctors can attract stalkers fairly easily and having a different name outside work helps.
    Imagine marrying your friend.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

deleted
  • Options

Nigel said he didn't want it taken further, he did nothing at the time until the press found out and contacted him. If he increases his security who foots the bill? Why on earth would the French police open an investigation when a foreigner says he doesn't want to pursue it?

Imagine the furore if Nigel had reported an assassination attempt, he has acted entirely appropriately
    "Partisan drivel" sums up your posts really well, as shown above.

And as I keep on saying (yet Kippers such yourself seem to be incapable of understanding) - I don't belong to a political party.

The flaws in the rest of your post are all too obvious. For one thing, it's not just his life that is endangered by such actions, but also those of others in the car and other road users.
  • Options
    Cricket.

Jubbly.

Spurs later?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Stokes in danger of wrapping up the test this morning if he carries on like this.

I'm worried what will happen when ab de villiers gets on this flat pitch
  • Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

I can imagine that's true of female doctors. They are women that a man can just phone up and arrange a one-to-one conversation with (better still, one that involves discussing parts of his body). And the doctor will generally be smiling and sympathetic. Could become very stalkerish, I would think.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

And as I keep on saying (yet Kippers such yourself seem to be incapable of understanding) - I don't belong to a political party.

In the same way as Mr Nabavi is undecided, if it walks like a duck ;)
  • Options

The flaws in the rest of your post are all too obvious. For one thing, it's not just his life that is endangered by such actions, but also those of others in the car and other road users.
    I don't care whether you belong to a party or not, your admitted dislike of Nigel means you continually spout nonsense about him, on this occasion hinting at him lying and suggesting he should increase his personal security.

As usual, you swerve the questions I raise in favour of more opprobrium. I'm surprised you haven't accused him of loosening the nuts himself as part of a publicity stunt.

• Options

Cricket.

Jubbly.

Spurs later?

Dembele a big miss
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited January 2016
    kle4 said:

I'm worried what will happen when ab de villiers gets on this flat pitch
    Yorked (hopefully)...! :)
  • Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

She is quite a catch! Always up for fun, loves dancing, always has interesting opinions and is an excellent cook. We go back a long way, but I know her via an old boyfriend of hers. We met aged 18 fixing her Mini. She was a good mechanic and had her own welding kit. What more could a fella want at that age! but we have only ever been good platonic friends.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

She is quite a catch! Always up for fun, loves dancing, always has interesting opinions and is an excellent cook. We go back a long way, but I know her via an old boyfriend of hers. We met aged 18 fixing her Mini. She was a good mechanic and had her own welding kit. What more could a fella want at that age! but we have only ever been good platonic friends.
    That's fair enough, feminism is a very divisive subject among women. I'm a great believer in gender equality, going back through generations to renounce male names seems a tad obsessive.

• Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

Surely men can call themselves whatever they want to. So why should women be any different?

What one may do, and what is the path of wisdom are, of course, two different things.

In what way can men call themselves what they want? There is only one standard male title: Mr.

Any individual can of course choose their own name by deed poll if they so desire but there is convention to the use of titles and that's just something that people who choose togo outside the norms, for whatever reason, will have to accept.
  • Options
    All four Saffer bowlers are sneaking up to the 100 run mark.. (from TMS)
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

I can imagine that's true of female doctors. They are women that a man can just phone up and arrange a one-to-one conversation with (better still, one that involves discussing parts of his body). And the doctor will generally be smiling and sympathetic. Could become very stalkerish, I would think.
    The same applies to lawyers and social workers too. I can see why professional women often use two names.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

I'm surprised you haven't accused him of loosening the nuts himself as part of a publicity stunt.

That will be Mr Flightpath you are looking for, I am sure he will be along shortly. Just to pre-empt, no the plane crash was not caused by Farage and his "stunt" either, banner towing is a regular practise performed by licensed commercial pilots in aircraft built and equipped for the task https://goo.gl/7PQY0l
  • Options

I don't care whether you belong to a party or not, your admitted dislike of Nigel means you continually spout nonsense about him, on this occasion hinting at him lying and suggesting he should increase his personal security.

As usual, you swerve the questions I raise in favour of more opprobrium. I'm surprised you haven't accused him of loosening the nuts himself as part of a publicity stunt.
    If you read this thread back, you will see I was giving Farage the benefit of the doubt in this regard. Still, you've a record of disregarding evidence that don't fit your narrative.

As for swerving questions: with your track record that's a bit rich. Have you learnt anything about foreign aid yet, or are you still wallowing in angry ignorance based on hundreds of doorstep conversations?

As for your last line: that's just contemptible. Grow up.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

In what way can men call themselves what they want? There is only one standard male title: Mr.

Any individual can of course choose their own name by deed poll if they so desire but there is convention to the use of titles and that's just something that people who choose togo outside the norms, for whatever reason, will have to accept.
    A lady of my acquaintance visited me recently and greeted me with "hi, I'm Stella .........". I was very bemused as that's not her name. She explained that she'd changed her name by deed poll as part of her new life.

Nothing untoward but it was very disconcerting.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Wanderer said:

GeoffM said:

Morning all.

Ms Thornberry

How did she go about choosing her own name? Did she come up with something unique (not sure that's possible)? There's probably some man with any surname who's done something wrong.

Anyway, more importantly, three games without a goal - Ranieri out?
This discussion has been closed.