Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Keiran Pedley asks Is 2016 the year David Cameron loses the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Keiran Pedley asks Is 2016 the year David Cameron loses the Conservative Party?

On the one hand, it was the year of the political insurgent. UKIP won the best part of 4 million votes at the General Election (though failed to make the breakthrough in seats it had hoped for), the SNP won 56 of 59 seats at Westminster and Jeremy Corbyn swept away the New Labour establishment to become leader of the Labour Party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    First?
  • QTWAIN
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Wishful thinking? Normally the Don Brind article. There is no doubt a lot of bitterness among the headbangers as shown on here, but I think the Conservative party will accept the people's vote - given to them by Cameron - and move on.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Vielleicht.

Antigonus had a seemingly indomitable position, but in the end that very strength forced his enemies to unite and (just about) topple him.

Cameron may keep the Party, as the Party knows he's on the way out anyway. Osborne, on the other hand...
  • My biggest fear for this year and 2020 for the Tory party is that we revert back to the 90s and are obsessed by the EU and destroy our electoral prospects.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn's 'revenge reshuffle' shows how badly he's losing the war of spin https://t.co/Ca0eKCdkGR
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

My biggest fear for this year and 2020 for the Tory party is that we revert back to the 90s and are obsessed by the EU and destroy our electoral prospects.

The only way to unite the party is have the PM campaign for Leave. The Europhile headbangers can f*** off to the Lib Dems then.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Bahrain, Sudan and UAE all taking anti-Iran diplomatic steps:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35222365
  • My biggest fear for this year and 2020 for the Tory party is that we revert back to the 90s and are obsessed by the EU and destroy our electoral prospects.

As long as there is Corbyn Labour there will be a Tory-led government. The Tories may try to change that, but they will not succeed.

• Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn's 'revenge reshuffle' shows how badly he's losing the war of spin https://t.co/Ca0eKCdkGR

What reshuffle, Eoin Clarke informed everybody no reshuffle until at least May....
  • I see we're back to Questions To Which The Answer Is No
  • flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    If the referendum is 'won' then the conservatives can be grateful they did not try to take the country out - since clearly they would have lost the country. And gifted it to Labour. Hands up anyone who want to git the country to Corbyn.

Talking about Cameron losing the party is small beer compared with the Tories losing the country - especially after all the hard work put in to get it broadly on side with conservatives again (and the way labour are in their current mess).
    Also it points to the wise decision of Cameron to not overstay his welcome. Equally I think all this talk of 'legacy' is all a bit overdone. Especially in relation to the EU. The Eurozone situation inevitably means that the UK would have to re-look at its position. Its inevitable that this was going to happen. A referendum is needed and frankly leaving the EU to join the EEA is no big deal.

Only if the Europhiles let down the members. I agree with Kieran, Osborne is riding the wrong horse and piling up the opposition within the party.
    @SophyRidgeSky: I understand Jeremy Corbyn will start having initial conversations with Shadow Cabinet members later today about the reshuffle
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    I see the line is that it's not about revenge but having one voice at the top. To be honest, being that it was a free vote and the new politics, it looks like revenge.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072
    The Tory party of 2016 is not the Tory party of 2006. One only needs to look where serious people like William Hague are to see that. And the growth of UKIP has undoubtedly weakened the Euro sceptic wing of the party enormously both from the departure of former activists like SeanF and by making UKIP positions feel somewhat disloyal. Ironically, if UKIP had not grown the way it has it is quite possible that the majority of the party would be for out.

But those that left did so for a reason and that reason was that the internal argument had been lost. Cameron will fight for remain and the vast majority of the Tory party will support him in that. Those for out will make quite nuanced arguments but the level of passion and just plain barminess in the party about the EU is nothing like what it was. Most Tories I speak to have learned Cameron's lesson well: the best solution for the EU is just not to talk about it.

In the referendum that, unfortunately, will not be possible but I genuinely believe that the Tory party will prove to be far more united on this than its detractors hope. I increasingly think this may prove to be as significant event as the AV referendum.
  • MaxPB said:

My biggest fear for this year and 2020 for the Tory party is that we revert back to the 90s and are obsessed by the EU and destroy our electoral prospects.

The only way to unite the party is have the PM campaign for Leave. The Europhile headbangers can f*** off to the Lib Dems then.
    Agreed.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Even if Remain wins I find it hard to see how George Osborne is the man to heal the wounds of the referendum campaign. What you'd want would be a widely respected moderate sceptic, surely. Someone who won't try to reopen the issue but would reassure Leavers that he (or she) wouldn't sign up for Son of Lisbon.

Osborne strikes me as a run-against-the-party candidate with the fatal (especially for that type of candidate) flaw that the public don't like him. I don't see how he wins in the membership vote unless he's up against an obvious duffer.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    edited January 2016
    Yes!!!!
    De Villiers c Anderson b Flynn 88. :smiley:
    @Sean_Kemp: There's something of a flaw in this media strategy surely? https://t.co/91R6g7Bhof
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    It is totally ridiculous to have a reshuffle so soon after appointing the Shad Cab in the first place.

And how to reward a member of the team who delivered the best speech in the HoC for at least a decade...

Let's see what actually happens, but this could be the day that JC loses the Soft Left from his coalition of support.
    DavidL said:

The Tory party of 2016 is not the Tory party of 2006. One only needs to look where serious people like William Hague are to see that. And the growth of UKIP has undoubtedly weakened the Euro sceptic wing of the party enormously both from the departure of former activists like SeanF and by making UKIP positions feel somewhat disloyal. Ironically, if UKIP had not grown the way it has it is quite possible that the majority of the party would be for out.

But those that left did so for a reason and that reason was that the internal argument had been lost. Cameron will fight for remain and the vast majority of the Tory party will support him in that. Those for out will make quite nuanced arguments but the level of passion and just plain barminess in the party about the EU is nothing like what it was. Most Tories I speak to have learned Cameron's lesson well: the best solution for the EU is just not to talk about it.

In the referendum that, unfortunately, will not be possible but I genuinely believe that the Tory party will prove to be far more united on this than its detractors hope. I increasingly think this may prove to be as significant event as the AV referendum.

I think you are mistaken in your belief that the Tory party will support the PM in fighting for Remain. He is going to be sharing the same platform as Labour and a bunch of hateful Eurocrats. I think they may tolerate it if the deal he manages to get is acceptable, but beyond that I don't see much appetite for wide acceptance of the EU within the party.

As I said, if the PM wants to unite the party it would be easier for the 10-12 europhile headbangers to resign the whip and join the Lib Dems so he can campaign for Leave without being encumbered by facetious arguments like 3m lost jobs from his own side.

As for Osborne, I will be voting for whomever he is facing. I don't care who it is. He will lead the party and country to ruin.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,698

MaxPB said:

Agreed.
    In other words the Tory party will not be united.
    @jamesrbuk: A leak from Labour's shadow cabinet is, of course, inconceivable https://t.co/A2NcSg1Oqd
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    edited January 2016
    FPT.
    Wanderer said:
    » show previous quotes
    Well, the repeat prescription process seems quite cumbersome (I recently had my first encounter with it - a life milestone of sorts). I have been told about this change and (perhaps naively) assumed it would make things simpler for the patient at least.

Response.
    It is a bit cumbersome first time, but if your GP has a clued up system, you can normally request medication a few days before you need it, and in my case, pick it up from the friendly local pharmacist a couple of days later.

It also appears that the government is anxious to reduce the number of pharmacies especially in urban areas, where in some places for historical reasons there are three, four of five pharmacies clustered round a large GP practice.
    Err, so what do the newly minted back benchers being chucked out of the shadow cabinet have to lose by leaking that they got fired. Corbyn is never going to bring them back and if they can help hasten his decline it helps their careers under a different leader.
  • MaxPB said:

Agreed. We are heading into a final showdown and the numbers are with the sceptics. A leadership contest and the new Boundaries. If Cameron handles it badly the party will split.
  • Not great odds though on Cameron or Corbyn going this year. The real fireworks will be IF there is a referendum and also the deteriorating international picture, which has been on a steep decline all of last year. To be fair to JC, he will be proved right on saying Saudi is more an enemy than a friend and informs me as to why in particular he wants a Foreign Sec Shadow who will tow his line when necessary. The markets are well off today and will be under pressure for the 1st quarter at least.
    Wanderer said:

Even if Remain wins I find it hard to see how George Osborne is the man to heal the wounds of the referendum campaign. What you'd want would be a widely respected moderate sceptic, surely. Someone who won't try to reopen the issue but would reassure Leavers that he (or she) wouldn't sign up for Son of Lisbon.

Osborne strikes me as a run-against-the-party candidate with the fatal (especially for that type of candidate) flaw that the public don't like him. I don't see how he wins in the membership vote unless he's up against an obvious duffer.

Osborne will play the moderate sceptic well. You only need to see the fights he has had against the FTT, the regulation of UK banks, the protection of the City and his regular critiques of EZ economic policy to see that. He will make it clear that we stay in for now but that we keep the EZ issue under review and watch developments carefully.

And the idea he is running against the party is absurd. He is utterly dominant within it in terms of policy and the placement of acolytes. He may be less popular with the membership as a whole but he will definitely be one of the candidates and there is no outstanding opponent who will sweep him away.
  • MaxPB said:

Agreed. We are heading into a final showdown and the numbers are with the sceptics. A leadership contest and the new Boundaries. If Cameron handles it badly the party will split.
    Split over what? The referendum will have happened. That's it, game over. There's nothing to split over.

FPT.
    Wanderer said:
    » show previous quotes
    Well, the repeat prescription process seems quite cumbersome (I recently had my first encounter with it - a life milestone of sorts). I have been told about this change and (perhaps naively) assumed it would make things simpler for the patient at least.

Response.
    It is a bit cumbersome first time, but if your GP has a clued up system, you can normally request medication a few days before you need it, and in my case, pick it up from the friendly local pharmacist a couple of days later.

It also appears that the government is anxious to reduce the number of pharmacies especially in urban areas, where in some places for historical reasons there are three, four of five pharmacies clustered round a large GP practice.

Yes, I can already sense myself getting used to it.

I am wondering how it works for people whose mental faculties are failing. Is there some kind of set-up to remind them to request new medication?
  • DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

And the idea he is running against the party is absurd. He is utterly dominant within it in terms of policy and the placement of acolytes. He may be less popular with the membership as a whole but he will definitely be one of the candidates and there is no outstanding opponent who will sweep him away.
    Worth saving this forecast?
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I think you are mistaken in your belief that the Tory party will support the PM in fighting for Remain. He is going to be sharing the same platform as Labour and a bunch of hateful Eurocrats. I think they may tolerate it if the deal he manages to get is acceptable, but beyond that I don't see much appetite for wide acceptance of the EU within the party.

As I said, if the PM wants to unite the party it would be easier for the 10-12 europhile headbangers to resign the whip and join the Lib Dems so he can campaign for Leave without being encumbered by facetious arguments like 3m lost jobs from his own side.

As for Osborne, I will be voting for whomever he is facing. I don't care who it is. He will lead the party and country to ruin.
    You seriously think he will be stupid enough to get on the same platform as those muppets? Do you think he is as daft as SLAB?

There will be separate campaigns emphasising different issues.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: I understand Jeremy Corbyn will start having initial conversations with Shadow Cabinet members later today about the reshuffle

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of this one:

"I gave you a job 3 months ago, but we now need a reshuffle."

"Why?"

"Because you don't agree with my policy on Syria/Trident/Welfare etc etc."

"But I told you that at the time you appointed me."

"Yes, well, Seamus says I shouldn't have done it."

"Oh well, that's ok then. I'll not go to back benches and cause trouble."

• Questions to which the answer is Yes.

I think Dave is a good leader - but one who wants to sell us out to the EU. The party is already divided between those firmly Remain (Dave, Major, etc) and those firmly out (Hannan, etc). In the party Leave has a clear majority. But a party (as Corbyn is discovering) is not the same thing as its voters. Dave will push for Remain, will win and the majority of the party (MPs, members) will hate him for it. But the majority of theTory voting public will get what they voted for.

The thread header asks will Dave lose the Party? Yes. Will he lose the vote? Probably not (unfortunately). It will become another Neverendum.

Whoever follows Dave is going to inherit a giant ugly mess.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016
    DavidL said:

He seems to be quite popular with the party members I know.

Indeed the whole caricature of party members as proto-Kippers, which seems to be widespread, bears very little resemblance to reality. I know a handful who fit the caricature, but no more than that.

Incidentally the ConHome survey on grassroots opinions which Keiran quotes should not be taken seriously. Nowadays ConHome is far from representative, and in any case that was a self-selected set of respondents.
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

You seriously think he will be stupid enough to get on the same platform as those muppets? Do you think he is as daft as SLAB?

There will be separate campaigns emphasising different issues.
    Do you really think the average voter is going to see a difference between the different remain and leave campaigns? I don't.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

Danczuk protest just took a nasty turn. He walked (quickly) back to his office after being confronted by two men https://t.co/O8cMqUO48O
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    One only needs to look where serious people like William Hague are to see that

That's (unintentionally) very amusing
    On topic. No, this is silly.
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Osborne will play the moderate sceptic well. You only need to see the fights he has had against the FTT, the regulation of UK banks, the protection of the City and his regular critiques of EZ economic policy to see that. He will make it clear that we stay in for now but that we keep the EZ issue under review and watch developments carefully.

That's interesting re his potential positioning as a moderate sceptic. I'll have to think about that.

When I say "running against the party" I mean against the membership. I realise his grip on the machine is very strong. (I'm also using a deliberately provocative phrase, I confess.) But my point is that once the decision is in the hands of the membership the type of power Osborne has will not help him.

I could add that I rather like him myself. My current betting view is that his odds are too short. I might be wrong.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    Wanderer said:

FPT.
    Wanderer said:
    » show previous quotes

Response.

Yes, I can already sense myself getting used to it.

I am wondering how it works for people whose mental faculties are failing. Is there some kind of set-up to remind them to request new medication?
    One of the big gaps in the system. There isn't any fail-safe, or even near it, system to remind people who need reminding. There are schemes for ensuring regular repeat medications for such people, but in my experience they don't work very well with those who have "as required" medications, and generally result in over-prescribing.
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Absurd is the idea that he is well liked anywhere in the party, either by MPs or by the membership. He is dominant only because his best friend is the PM. Without that he would be a junior minister in the culture department. The only reason Osborne rates half decently is because there is a clear lack of an alternative and the race hasn't started. One only needs to look at the Labour leadership race to see how the narrative can change quickly against the favourite.
  • MaxPB said:

Do you really think the average voter is going to see a difference between the different remain and leave campaigns? I don't.

Cameron won't be associated with either campaign. He'll recommend voting Remain, but that's not the same.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    David Cameron has announced his departure during this term. That means that there will not be the same impetus from Leavers to get rid of him after the referendum result: they can wait for him to go of his own accord. Why rock the boat unduly at an early stage when the opportunity will come soon enough. In any case, most MPs are not so much Europhile or Eurosceptic as keen to make the subject go away. If the referendum result is reasonably clear, it will achieve that aim in the short term.

There is a question behind the question which Keiran Pedley asks: what will the really committed BOOers do if they decisively lose the referendum? For many of them, this is as all-consuming an ambition as independence is for the Scottish nationalists. In the wake of such a landmark defeat, how will they regroup? Will they want to retire from politics completely? Will they respect the result? Are there smaller scale aims that they can still salvage from the wreckage?

I don't think they've begun to think about that at all.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,698

MaxPB said:

Three of you on here agree with each other that "The only way to unite the party is have the PM campaign for Leave."
    Do any of you believe that he will?
    If he campaigns for Remain as most people believe, is that handling it "badly"? In which case do you really believe that the Tory party will split?
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Absurd is the idea that he is well liked anywhere in the party, either by MPs or by the membership. He is dominant only because his best friend is the PM. Without that he would be a junior minister in the culture department. The only reason Osborne rates half decently is because there is a clear lack of an alternative and the race hasn't started. One only needs to look at the Labour leadership race to see how the narrative can change quickly against the favourite.
    You completely underestimate him. He held senior positions in the party structure at an incredibly young age before Cameron was even leader. He is the Tory's answer to Mandelson and I mean that as a sincere compliment.

DavidL said:

Indeed the whole caricature of party members as proto-Kippers, which seems to be widespread, bears very little resemblance to reality. I know a handful who fit the caricature, but no more than that.

Incidentally the ConHome survey on grassroots opinions which Keiran quotes should not be taken seriously. Nowadays ConHome is far from representative, and in any case that was a self-selected set of respondents.
    Your knowledge of grassroots Conservatives is far greater than mine.

The Conservative members round my way are mostly socially conservative types. I can't see them voting for Osborne and I think they think the Conservative Party has moved too far to the left.

I guess they are atypical or I'm wrong about them.

MaxPB said:

Cameron won't be associated with either campaign. He'll recommend voting Remain, but that's not the same.
    So the PM is not going to actively campaign in favour of the deal he has just negotiated? Pull the other one Richard. That's just stupid. You know that the only way to prevent the party from splitting is for the PM to "fail" and recommend leave. I'm in the Leave camp and will be voting for anyone but Osborne in the leadership election, if Osborne wins where does that leave the MPs who voted for the other guy, if he loses where does that leave all of his placemen Dave has (over)promoted.

Osborne's blind ambition and blind love of the EU is creating a Blair/Brown legacy within the party. Osbornites vs everyone else, look at this page, we have two members agreeing with my position and two agreeing with your position.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

DavidL said:

ConHome is broadly representative of the headbangers on here who insome cases would opt for a Corbyn Labour govt over Osborne. :)
    Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

That's interesting re his potential positioning as a moderate sceptic. I'll have to think about that.

When I say "running against the party" I mean against the membership. I realise his grip on the machine is very strong. (I'm also using a deliberately provocative phrase, I confess.) But my point is that once the decision is in the hands of the membership the type of power Osborne has will not help him.

I could add that I rather like him myself. My current betting view is that his odds are too short. I might be wrong.
    I think that unless Out wins he is nailed on. And although I am inclined to a soft out (EEA) myself I think that is incredibly unlikely. The only question was did he want it and increasingly it seems the answer to that is yes.

Whether he will be a good PM is a different question. I think he is a much more divisive politician than Cameron (as your and other comments show) and he is often too clever for his own good, too focussed on the game rather than the big picture. But I think there is very little doubt he will have a go.
  • MaxPB said:

Three of you on here agree with each other that "The only way to unite the party is have the PM campaign for Leave."
    Do any of you believe that he will?
    If he campaigns for Remain as most people believe, is that handling it "badly"? In which case do you really believe that the Tory party will split?
    Cameron can campaign for Remain and the party can stay intact but he has to ensure that the party and the Govt machines are impartial. Failing to do that endangers the party.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Shadow Cab Bonfire of the Quislings.

When do we expect the announcements to come out?

• Wanderer said:

The Conservative members round my way are mostly socially conservative types. I can't see them voting for Osborne and I think they think the Conservative Party has moved too far to the left.

Socially conservative, yes. But also quite pragmatic in my experience.

Whether they will vote for Osborne depends hugely on who the alternative choice is. It's probably the case that Osborne isn't particularly 'liked' by party members (nor is Cameron, for that matter). However, being liked isn't the most important thing; Boris is very much liked, but I'm not sure that would translate into votes in a leadership contest.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

MaxPB said:

Split over what? The referendum will have happened. That's it, game over. There's nothing to split over.
    Yes that's how I'm seeing it as well. The one big hope for the Opposition is the Tories splitting over the EU, but it increasingly looks like it won't happen. In fact it's only if Cameron enforces collective responsibility that it looks like there's any prospect.

The party knows how split it is on the EU and that's precisely why there's a referendum. There's nothing Cameron can offer the likes of MaxPB that will be acceptable, but if my local Tory party are anything to go by, there are several "Nabavi" pragmatists for every "MaxPB." And the number who will leave in a huff over the EU? Tiny - they've long gone.
    So I guess that in a year's time when the dust settles, we'll realise just how strong the Tories are, and how weak the Opposition by comparison.

Vaguely on-topic, is there a market in how many MPs will campaign for out? We have 6 new Tories to add to the list, but am I right that there are less than 50 named outers at the moment? Are we looking at 100-150 in total?

• If Max is anything to go by it is going to be brutal. I can't say I have ever noticed Osborne's blind love of the EU, while telling Tories who do not want to leave to fuck off to the LibDems strikes me as being a touch OTT. What's more I am not sure the LDs would welcome Hague, Major, Cameron, Osborne and co.

As Labour is discovering, when mainstream parties stop being broad churches they lose support. Corbyn will not be there forever to shield the Tories from the consequences of their European obsession.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,203
    Happy New Year all.

Nice little William Hill bet i placed in April that Cameron leaves the office of PM in 2016 or later matured over the weekend, so it was a pleasant start to wake up to 2016 a three-figure sum richer.
    tpfkar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes that's how I'm seeing it as well. The one big hope for the Opposition is the Tories splitting over the EU, but it increasingly looks like it won't happen. In fact it's only if Cameron enforces collective responsibility that it looks like there's any prospect.

The party knows how split it is on the EU and that's precisely why there's a referendum. There's nothing Cameron can offer the likes of MaxPB that will be acceptable, but if my local Tory party are anything to go by, there are several "Nabavi" pragmatists for every "MaxPB." And the number who will leave in a huff over the EU? Tiny - they've long gone.
    So I guess that in a year's time when the dust settles, we'll realise just how strong the Tories are, and how weak the Opposition by comparison.

Vaguely on-topic, is there a market in how many MPs will campaign for out? We have 6 new Tories to add to the list, but am I right that there are less than 50 named outers at the moment? Are we looking at 100-150 in total?

Every now and then I keep meaning to do some Kremlinology, investigating the public statements of every Conservative MP to get a sensible estimate for this.

Then I realise just how much time it would take and decide to leave it for a paid journalist to do that job.
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

I think that unless Out wins he is nailed on. And although I am inclined to a soft out (EEA) myself I think that is incredibly unlikely. The only question was did he want it and increasingly it seems the answer to that is yes.

Whether he will be a good PM is a different question. I think he is a much more divisive politician than Cameron (as your and other comments show) and he is often too clever for his own good, too focussed on the game rather than the big picture. But I think there is very little doubt he will have a go.
    Well, if your first sentence is right then there may be value in him after all.

I think it's extremely doubtful that he would make a good PM. What I find appealing in him is the Machiavellian game playing and sarcasm. Not quite the qualities needed, maybe.

Happy New Year all.

Nice little William Hill bet i placed in April that Cameron leaves the office of PM in 2016 or later matured over the weekend, so it was a pleasant start to wake up to 2016 a three-figure sum richer.

Well done. Nice one.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    Cameron has no objection to destroying the Tory party. His political hero is Robert Peel, who did precisely that. As long as he wins the euroref, Cameron will be happy to 'chillax' and take whatever preferment his support for the desired establishment outcome brings him.
    DavidL said:

I'm not sure that Osborne will win. He is without a doubt the front runner, but a lot of members I have met have his unpopularity burned into their minds. Him being booed at Star Wars was just the latest example of how reviled he is by the public. It's one thing to be Thatcher, a divisive figure loved and hated in equal parts, but he is not loved by anyone. People who like him just find him acceptable. Very few people out there consider themselves Osbornites. If someone better comes along (and they will, I'm sure) then Osborne won't win. People who don't like Osborne really, really don't like him both within the membership and in the wider public.

Shadow Cab Bonfire of the Quislings.

When do we expect the announcements to come out?

As soon as they can be leaked.

Wanderer said:

Whether they will vote for Osborne depends hugely on who the alternative choice is. It's probably the case that Osborne isn't particularly 'liked' by party members (nor is Cameron, for that matter). However, being liked isn't the most important thing; Boris is very much liked, but I'm not sure that would translate into votes in a leadership contest.
    The Labour party is in that unhappy place where whom they choose does not matter much and they can indulge themselves with a Corbyn in the same way the Tories did when they chose IDS instead of Ken Clarke. Of course one of the problems for Labour is that they did not have a candidate for leader worthy of cleaning Clarke's hushpuppies.

The Tories, in contrast, will be choosing a PM which completely rules out some of the fruitier options.

Wanderer said:

Well, I'm assuming as a default that it would Osborne vs May.

Your last point is key but I wonder if it helps Osborne. Will people who dislike him think, "Ah, but he'd be a good leader"? His polling is bad and his style is, as @DavidL says, divisive.
    @SophyRidgeSky: Some reshuffle conversations are likely to be on the phone as not everyone is in Westminster (Burnham is in his constituency, for example)
    IDS was awful in the short term, Ken was an existential policy threat re the Euro/sovereignty. I prefer the former as a lesser evil.
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

The Labour party is in that unhappy place where whom they choose does not matter much and they can indulge themselves with a Corbyn in the same way the Tories did when they chose IDS instead of Ken Clarke. Of course one of the problems for Labour is that they did not have a candidate for leader worthy of cleaning Clarke's hushpuppies.

The Tories, in contrast, will be choosing a PM which completely rules out some of the fruitier options.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    edited January 2016
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

The mistake was in selecting Duncan-Smith over Michael Portillo. Once Portillo was out, it's foolish to think there was any other option.
    @MrHarryCole: Ken: "It's not civil war... he's got a commanding majority on the NEC" Hmmmm.

@MrHarryCole: Bold shout from Ken: "Following the success of the Oldham By-Election a lot of people have rallied round Jeremy in the PLP."

Wanderer said:

Osborne needs to communicate what sort of conservative he is and what his conservatism is all about (convincingly) to win a members vote. And that might not appeal to Shire Tories who still constitute the bulk of the membership.

So far I've seen no evidence that he has any answers to the security and migration challenges of the 2020s. He has shown in office that no policy is too important for it not to be traded for short-term political advantage. The EU vote is particularly dangerous for him as it's got his fingerprints all over it.

The politician whose political future is most threatened by the EU referendum vote isn't Cameron: it's Osborne.

Happy New Year all.

Thanks for reminding me to check! I was on that for small stakes but for much bigger stakes for the Euro still to exist at the end of 2015.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2016
    Claims that the new Jahadi John is Abu Rumaysah...if it is, it is going to be rather embarrassing for UK. He is well known extremist who skipped bail from the UK and traveled to Syria.
    tpfkar said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not going to leave the party if the country votes to stay in, if Dave's deal is good enough to win it then so be it. My issue is with what happens afterwards. If the result is relatively close (which I think it will be) then having a leader closely associated with the remain campaign is going to hurt the party's standing with the 40-50% of people who just voted to leave the EU and will not want the vote to be the end of the matter.

Richard is not a pragmatist, he is a fully paid up "Osborne is a perfect chancellor" (or was it near perfect) member.

As for what Dave could offer me to vote to remain, an opt out of the CAP, an opt out of the CFP, control over our environmental sustainability and a permanent veto on all financial regulations and decisions.

IDS was awful in the short term, Ken was an existential policy threat re the Euro/sovereignty. I prefer the former as a lesser evil.

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Probably the best (Tory) PM we never had since the war. Most of the other candidates, Healey, Jenkins, Mason were in the Labour party.
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour source tells @politicshome that beginning reshuffle when most MPs aren't even back in Westminster is "cowardly".
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    Could it happen? Possibly, though I doubt the damage done would be apparent right away. The party has been putting off some internal disputes for some time, and things are coming to a head, even as, besides those internal matters, things are looking quite positive for the party in other ways. While I don't think it will all collapse in on them, I do think some Tories are being hugely optimistic about how bitter and fractious things will get in 2016/17, and how bad the aftershocks of the fight will be.
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Downplaying the importance of who governs us is foolish and I sense disingenuous. Many europhiles would prefer it if the issue wasn't even discussed.
  • Rather than perhaps backing down / keeping quiet over some of the rather more interesting things The Donald has said, he is actually playing up what many think were mistakes...

http://order-order.com/2016/01/04/donald-trumps-first-tv-advert/
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,889
    edited January 2016
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Probably the best (Tory) PM we never had since the war. Most of the other candidates, Healey, Jenkins, Mason were in the Labour party.
    That would be hilarious if I didn't know you are actually serious.

The Tory party would not exist today as a single party if Clarke had won.
    But there can be no doubt now: Labour is weaker than under Ed Miliband. If nothing changes soon, and previous relationships hold, the Party is dicing with a double-digit defeat at the 2020 General Election, at which it might attract a vote share some way down into the mid- to high-20s. Everything we know – every last scrap of data – says that the Labour Party as we have known it is in very profound trouble indeed.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/01/how-jeremy-corbyns-labour-faring-elections
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm still puzzled by the higher Don't Know figure on the Referendum question among online polls as opposed to phone polls.

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

The mistake was in selecting Duncan-Smith over Michael Portillo. Once Portillo was out, it's foolish to think there was any other option.
    Portillo would have been an interesting leader, quite similar to Cameron and Osborne I think.
  • Wanderer said:

Well, I'm assuming as a default that it would Osborne vs May.

Your last point is key but I wonder if it helps Osborne. Will people who dislike him think, "Ah, but he'd be a good leader"? His polling is bad and his style is, as @DavidL says, divisive.

Clearly Osborne could do the job of PM, and do it well. He's effectively been doing much of it for the last five years, and very successfully. So he'd certainly be an extremely safe choice in terms of competence of government. That matters a lot in changing leader whilst in office. If it were Osborne vs Boris, I reckon that would decide the matter in Osborne's favour. If it were Osborne vs May, Hammond, or several others, Osborne might have the advantage on that measure, but not decisively so.

The next question would be: could he deliver a majority at the next election, or would the alternative choice be more likely to do so? That's a question which is less obvious to me. It's not just about polling and likeability, but electability, which is a different thing, as Maggie demonstrated so clearly.
    edited January 2016
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Osborny.

I strongly disagree with this - with his increasingly poor ratings amongst voters at large, and the increasing prominence of his rivals for a vote that may be three years away - how on earth can you say he's nailed on?

He is Brown/Mandelson and Miliband all rolled into one. After reading Anthony Seldon's book on Cameron at No.10 over Christmas, I am more convinced than ever he'd be totally wrong as leader of the party. His ruthless, deceptive and shamelessly tactless - whilst always being tactical - side ooze out of the pages.

Yes, he has a payroll following but he has to win big amongst MPs as well as make the final round, and clearly win a members vote, to win. A Cameron he is not - and I voted for Cameron 10 yrs ago.

I am continuing to lay Osborne on the betting markets.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour source tells @politicshome that beginning reshuffle when most MPs aren't even back in Westminster is "cowardly".

Some Labour sources would object to Jeremy Corbyn opening his eyes in the morning. I wish they'd stop the histrionics - we get it already, y'all don't like the guy.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Portillo would have been an interesting leader, quite similar to Cameron and Osborne I think.
    Thatcherite Portillo or Cameroon Portillo?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Perhaps he meant IDS ;)
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Good analogy. Osborne is exactly like Clarke.

Both would have split the party.

Happy New Year all.

Thanks for reminding me to check! I was on that for small stakes but for much bigger stakes for the Euro still to exist at the end of 2015.
    Good work!

My last GE2015 bet is for an EU referendum to be held this parliament. I think that's a (very low) three-figure profit to come too.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Indeed. Just think, we would have had the PM and the LOTO in favour of joining the Euro when it came to decision time in 2003.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Good analogy. Osborne is exactly like Clarke.

Both would have split the party.
    No, Osborne is exactly like Gordon Brown -- de facto domestic PM for several years but lacking that instinctive connection to the British people, or even to his own side (hence omnishambles and even parts of last year's budget).
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,151

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

Portillo could have won - then he self destructed in a manner that suggested he didn't want the job.

Part of his anger at Cameron is that Cameron is getting to be the reformist Conservative leader he wanted to be.

David Cameron has announced his departure during this term. That means that there will not be the same impetus from Leavers to get rid of him after the referendum result: they can wait for him to go of his own accord. Why rock the boat unduly at an early stage when the opportunity will come soon enough. In any case, most MPs are not so much Europhile or Eurosceptic as keen to make the subject go away. If the referendum result is reasonably clear, it will achieve that aim in the short term.

There is a question behind the question which Keiran Pedley asks: what will the really committed BOOers do if they decisively lose the referendum? For many of them, this is as all-consuming an ambition as independence is for the Scottish nationalists. In the wake of such a landmark defeat, how will they regroup? Will they want to retire from politics completely? Will they respect the result? Are there smaller scale aims that they can still salvage from the wreckage?

I think it very much depends on the magnitude of the result.

If Leave lose 62-38 (perfectly possible with the shambles they are making of the campaign at the moment) then yes - BOO are out of the picture for perhaps 15-20 years.

If leave lose 54-46 then it will affect the future of Conservative politics much more immediately.

But they won't shut up on either scenario and nor should they.
  • John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Some Labour sources would object to Jeremy Corbyn opening his eyes in the morning. I wish they'd stop the histrionics - we get it already, y'all don't like the guy.
    He isn't exactly doing a great job of making friends and influencing people within the PLP though is he...

Happy New Year all.

Well done. Nice one.
    Thanks.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed - even DanHodges in a recent-ish piece seemed to be saying some of the anti-Corbyn brigade were being moaners, given their own actions and statements against the guy.

I think it very much depends on the magnitude of the result.

If Leave lose 62-38 (perfectly possible with the shambles they are making of the campaign at the moment) then yes - BOO are out of the picture for perhaps 15-20 years.

If leave lose 54-46 then it will affect the future of Conservative politics much more immediately.

But they won't shut up on either scenario and nor should they.
    What do you think they should do if they lose? They can't campaign in the short term for another referendum, even if it's 51:49. They have to at least pretend to respect the verdict of the British public.
    @georgeeaton: Corbyn has just arrived in parliament to begin reshuffle meetings with shadow cabinet members at 2:30.
    This is turning into a very thought-provoking thread on the Conservative leadership. Thanks to the Conservative contributors of all persuasions.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2016
    This kind of attack is becoming increasingly common,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-35220520

Is only a matter of time before somebody gets blown up.

This needs to be sentenced far more seriously than simply a robbery. If this was a bearded bloke shouting Allahu Akbar, he would be behind bars for donkeys years.
This discussion has been closed.