Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s very rare for a SHADOW cabinet re-reshuffle to get so

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s very rare for a SHADOW cabinet re-reshuffle to get so much attention

The LAB reshuffle rolling thread

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    edited January 2016
    I was up until 2am covering on PB Corbyn's first shadow cabinet appointments.

He does like to drag it out.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    But the reality is, Mr Corbyn wanted to use this reshuffle to assert his authority, and that’s what he has done. His critics in the shadow cabinet have been effectively neutered. They have been reminded they serve at his pleasure, and that public displays of disloyalty will no longer be tolerated.

So there will be no more public displays of disloyalty. Labour’s leader has his moment of revenge. And it is a sweet one.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12081373/Jeremy-Corbyn-reshuffle-dan-hodges.html
  • Options
    Hilary Benitez
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I was up until 2am covering Corbyn's first shadow cabinet appointments.

You'd be safer off going to bed.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is not so much dragging it out as not really having a scooby as to what he is doing.

Never was a man so unfit for the post he now holds.
  • Options
    Unhappy faces over at the Guardian CIF! Corbyn has painted himself into a dammed if he reshuffles, dammed if he doesn't!! Great PR...
  • Options
    Corbyn's press team reportedly due to brief journalists imminently on changes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So another 4 or 5 hours...
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2016

Scott_P said:

So another 4 or 5 hours...
    ... of spineless Labour MPs griping to the media, rather than growing a pair and actively doing something about Corbyn.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    They’ll be no reshuffle until next May!

Actually I'm beginning to think the idiot Dr Eoin Clarke is a figment of the gutter press.
  • Options
    Anybody got a link to the tables of the Yougov poll discussed earlier? Many thanks
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    If this type of shuffle had been attempted at a bar room table in Tombstone The Corbynista Kid would have had been shot by now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Scott_P said:

I hope this is worth staying up for. He's got half an hour before sleep decides to get the better of me.
  • Options

Anybody got a link to the tables of the Yougov poll discussed earlier? Many thanks

Here you go

http://tinyurl.com/CorbynIsCrapperThanHannibal
  • Options
    Is that a threat?

@VickiYoung01: Ken Livingstone says there will be several other #reshuffles caused by illness or death..... #c4news
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Here you go

Nice URL :p
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    George Eaton's added tweet above makes a really good point. If Benn stays - but only because he refused to move and Corbyn didn't dare sack him - then all the advance leaks make JC look even weaker than before, if that were possible.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is that a threat?

@VickiYoung01: Ken Livingstone says there will be several other #reshuffles caused by illness or death..... #c4news

Clearly a wonderful advocate for the new, kinder politics.

You don't reshuffle your colleagues - you dispose of them.
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: So: right now we don't know and no one will tell us whether Hilary Benn is or is not the shadow foreign secretary.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: So: right now we don't know and no one will tell us whether Hilary Benn is or is not the shadow foreign secretary.

Schrodinger's Benn
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: And tomorrow pm makes statement on European Council to Commons

And the reply will be made by...

Umm,

Hang on,

We'll get back to you.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Here you go

Wow @ the 60+ voting intention!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

Umm,

Hang on,

We'll get back to you.

By the LotO ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

I hope this is worth staying up for. He's got half an hour before sleep decides to get the better of me.
    I'm about to go out for a very pleasant lunch overlooking one of my favourite views of the Pacific

They should be a bit more advanced by the time I'm done :)
  • Options

Here you go

Cheers TSE
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Scott_P said:

Is that a threat?

Clearly a wonderful advocate for the new, kinder politics.

You don't reshuffle your colleagues - you dispose of them.
    icepick
  • Options
    RobD said:

Here you go

Nice URL :p
    Crapper did invent the water closet. Meantime Labour are a busted flush.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

If this type of shuffle had been attempted at a bar room table in Tombstone The Corbynista Kid would have had been shot by now.

Edstone. Bunfight at the JC Corral
  • Options
    News or no news?
    Reports were swirling about 15 minutes ago that Corbyn’s team would be briefing out announcements imminently, but those are being played down now.
    In short, nobody knows when we might hear anything official – and if there is even anything official to be briefed as of yet. Could be tonight, could be tomorrow.
    Confusion reigns.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287

Here you go

Why is YouGov STILL overweighting 18 to 24s massively?

They only have 2.4 times as many over 60s as 18 to 24s (in the weighted sample).

That means they are assuming an almost identical turnout (as % of population!) amongst 18 to 24s as over 60s.

Words fail me. Stop. Think. Does this look sensible?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    It's rare to get this much attention - well, Corbyn fans are right about one thing, they do get an inordinate amount of attention, mostly negative, from the media. But it's a compliment really, as it is more interesting than such things usually are.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Here you go

Wow @ the 60+ voting intention!
    *Tries not to gloat about Scottish subsample*
  • Options
    Why does someone not do an absolutely massive sample of the Market Registers (or whatever they are called) from 2015 GE.

Establish what % of the number of people who voted are in each age group.

Then, when you do a poll, weight it to the age groups as above.

It is so, so, simple - unbelievable that this still isn't being handled properly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

I'm about to go out for a very pleasant lunch overlooking one of my favourite views of the Pacific

They should be a bit more advanced by the time I'm done :)
    Ah, the joys of Pacific Time. If @TSE's 2am GMT from last time happens again, that will nicely coincide with the alarm clock here. :D
  • Options

Working into the early hours of the morning...didn't Thatcher used to do the same? Clearly he is positively Thatcherite.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    Scott_P said:

News or no news?
    Reports were swirling about 15 minutes ago that Corbyn’s team would be briefing out announcements imminently, but those are being played down now.
    In short, nobody knows when we might hear anything official – and if there is even anything official to be briefed as of yet. Could be tonight, could be tomorrow.
    Confusion reigns.

Let's get some perspective. No one cares.

And I don't say that in the sense that no one cares because they are so hopeless that any reshuffle..deck chairs on the Titanic...amusement value...etc...

Although that is true, I say no one cares because the population at large doesn't care. It is endlessly amusing for us lot but out "there", it is so much noise when the real questions for real people are: the size of my credit card bill, will Chelsea make it into Europe, I am struggling to complete my first week back at work, etc...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Umm,

Hang on,

We'll get back to you.

By the LotO ?
    Surely even if he can't sack Benn Corbyn is not yet so weakened that Benn will replace him :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Working into the early hours of the morning...didn't Thatcher used to do the same? Clearly he is positively Thatcherite.
    Its against the EU Working Rules Agreement isn't it? Shame on TSE.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

News or no news?
    Confusion reigns.

Let's get some perspective ... etc...
    Correct, good point well made.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

News or no news?
    Confusion reigns.

Let's get some perspective. No one cares.

And I don't say that in the sense that no one cares because they are so hopeless that any reshuffle..deck chairs on the Titanic...amusement value...etc...

Although that is true, I say no one cares because the population at large doesn't care. It is endlessly amusing for us lot but out "there", it is so much noise when the real questions for real people are: the size of my credit card bill, will Chelsea make it into Europe, I am struggling to complete my first week back at work, etc...
    The last one really defeated me today. Back home with a headache and all the lights off. :/
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Jeremy Hunt sidelining himself in future junior doctor talks, probably a good move in my opinion.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/secretary-of-state-for-health-writes-to-chair-of-the-bma
  • Options
    Looks like I chose the wrong year to give up popcorn...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    So have Corbyn and Benn been agreeing when the former will hand over to the latter?
  • Options

Looks like I chose the wrong year to give up popcorn...

If you hadn't you would probably have broken all records for obesity by about, er...any suggestions?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    It is so reassuring to watch the fabled,famously slick, Labour Party organisation clicking into place....and they want to run the country....heheh
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Maria Eagle arrives. Says she doesn't know if she will hold on. "I don't know we will have to see"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Scott_P said:

Schrodinger's Benn
    He's gone.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

Schrodinger's Benn
    He's gone.

If Benn isn't gone, then this whole gig has been for nothing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

So have Corbyn and Benn been agreeing when the former will hand over to the latter?

Might be the only way Labour will staunch the flow of blood.
  • Options
    Somewhere in the City, Richard Burgon is looking around for reception on his phone to see if he can leave the streets of this strange and unwelcoming place and return to the warmth of his kin.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited January 2016
    @Scott_P

"@rosschawkins: So: right now we don't know and no one will tell us whether Hilary Benn is or is not the shadow foreign secretary.'

It doesn't matter and no one cares.

• Options
    @rosschawkins: Best Westminster-bubble popping tweet of night https://t.co/hsfY9d75bn
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Best Westminster-bubble popping tweet of night https://t.co/hsfY9d75bn

You mean normal people don't care about these things? Why I never, I shall need to reassess my priorities.

Still, we do need telling sometimes.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It's looking good for my prediction from the other day that the reshuffle would be a huge damp squib, with all the relevant people (including Benn) staying put and the only casualties being of the rank-and-file like Dugher.
  • Options
    (And now after I've so delightfully tempted fate, I'll await the tweet announcing Benn has been sacked after all....)
  • Options
    This is reminiscent of the glory days of Tony Blair - the unforgettable time he announced that Charles Clarke had accepted the post of Foreign Secretary while Charles Clarke was announcing his sacking to the media and saying Blair didn't have a clue what he was doing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is reminiscent of the glory days of Tony Blair - the unforgettable time he announced that Charles Clarke had accepted the post of Foreign Secretary while Charles Clarke was announcing his sacking to the media and saying Blair didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Blair's best reshuffle was the one where he abolished the role of Lord Chancellor, then had to backtrack when it was pointed out he needed to pass primary legislation to abolish the role.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited January 2016
    The headline on guardian.com is currently 'no news'

Great deflection from the train strike. Agent Corbyn helps the blues again.
  • Options
    Ben ‏@Jamin2g 6m6 minutes ago
    Zinedine Zidane appointed Real Madrid manager. Bold move by Corbyn.
    #Reshuffle
  • Options
    edited January 2016

ydoethur said:

Blair's best reshuffle was the one where he abolished the role of Lord Chancellor, then had to backtrack when it was pointed out he needed to pass primary legislation to abolish the role.
    I had forgotten that remarkably illustrious cock-up, but in my defence I was only 16 at the time.

PS - surely even Corbyn couldn't abolish the post of SFS only to find out there needs to be someone to answer this statement tomorrow? Surely?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You'd think a lawyer would know that, wouldn't you.

Blair was terrible at reshuffles. I'd forgotten that.
  • Options
    Breaking...

Richard Burgon appointed and promoted in to ShadCab in a new post as Shadow Minister of Popcorn inducement and Density.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The welsh train strike?
    So this incompetence is a ploy to deflect from Labour incompetence in Wales?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    edited January 2016
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I had forgotten that remarkably illustrious cock-up, but in my defence I was only 16 at the time.
    He had no respect for our constitution or history, he thought he could abolish a 1,400 year old role just like that.

Further proof degrees from Oxford are rubbish
  • Options

Breaking...

Richard Burgon appointed and promoted in to ShadCab in a new post as Shadow Minister of Popcorn inducement and Density.

Can Burgon be the guest of honour at next pb meet? It would be in the city, after all...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Breaking...

Too complicated for him.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

The welsh train strike?
    So this incompetence is a ploy to deflect from Labour incompetence in Wales?
    Chortle!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

PS - surely even Corbyn couldn't abolish the post of SFS only to find out there needs to be someone to answer this statement tomorrow? Surely?
    After the Tory wipeout in 1997, John Major acted as Shadow Foreign Secretary for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Breaking...

Can Burgon be the guest of honour at next pb meet? It would be in the city, after all...
    He's too busy to make it up there.

Richard Burgon MP ‏@RichardBurgon 31 Dec 2015
    Happy New Year from Leeds! Happier than I look! And here's to finishing unfinished business of "The Enemy Within".
    Embedded image permalink
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited January 2016
    The Yougov poll places Cameron at +46 on a left to right scale but Corbyn on an astonishing -76. Farron is at -10 and Farage at +61. Corbyn is now seen as even more leftwing than Farage is seen as rightwing
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/pw2zwai9dn/Times_Results_151218-Website.pdf
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    In the kitchen I trust..

Jess Phillips MP ✔ @jessphillips
    It's a good job I'm not being called to meeting with Jeremy these Billy bookcases won't put themselves up.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    HYUFD said:

Tonight's Yougov poll places Cameron at +46 on a left to right scale but Corbyn on an astonishing -76. Farron is at -10 and Farage at +61. Corbyn is now seen as even more leftwing than Farage is seen as rightwing
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/pw2zwai9dn/Times_Results_151218-Website.pdf

However, the Conservative Party as a whole is seen as marginally more right-wing than the Labour Party as a whole is seen as left-wing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

After the Tory wipeout in 1997, John Major acted as Shadow Foreign Secretary for a few weeks.
    Plus Shadow Defence as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_John_Major
  • Options

Breaking...

Why is Richard Burgon getting so much stick today, he's only been in the job since May?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

You'd think a lawyer would know that, wouldn't you.

Blair was terrible at reshuffles. I'd forgotten that.
    To be fair, most lawyers would know that there was a Lord Chancellor - not how the post came about or how entrenched it was in legislation. It is not the sort of constitutional nicety that is covered in any course.

(And I speak as someone who has been through the Oxford Jurisprudence course!)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Tonight's Yougov poll places Cameron at +46 on a left to right scale but Corbyn on an astonishing -76. Farron is at -10 and Farage at +61. Corbyn is now seen as even more leftwing than Farage is seen as rightwing

However, the Conservative Party as a whole is seen as more right-wing than the Labour Party as a whole is seen as left-wing.
    At present ;)
  • Options

Breaking...

Why is Richard Burgon getting so much stick today, he's only been in the job since May?
    There's been to time until now as we've all been so busy....
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

However, the Conservative Party as a whole is seen as more right-wing than the Labour Party as a whole is seen as left-wing.
    At present ;)
    I am going to cling onto anything I can now that that YouGov poll has nullified my "Osborne is statistically tied with Corbyn" line.
  • Options
    Sky News: Lancashire police are investigating a rape allegation against Simon Danczuk dating back to 2006
  • Options

Breaking...

Quite simple really - he is that poor that he has no understanding of his brief - or the issues surrounding the City. Even after 8 months in the job.

An utter waste of space. And wind - if the reports of fart-gate are to be believed.
  • Options

Sky News: Lancashire police are investigating a rape allegation against Simon Danczuk dating back to 2006

Arising from the first wife's comments in yesterday's MoS I presume?
  • Options

A nicer, kinder politics.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Maria Eagle not looking happy. Says no comment. "I have nothing to say." Would not say if she was still in shadow cabinet or shad defence
  • Options

Breaking...

He's tipped for the top ... as per my NY tip.

Scrapheap_as_was Posts: 5,162
    January 2
    I
    TheScreamingEagles said:
    I might do a betting thread about Sol for Sunday.
    Can you squeeze new pbtories fave Rich Burgon in too? He is the newcomer of 2015 and is set to go places this year (not the City though natch)
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Lots of questions to Maria Eagle "I have nothing to say, but that shouldn't surprise you". She looked upset TBH.
  • Options
    @GerriPeev: Fairly unhappy looking Maria Eagle brushes past. No comment.
  • Options
    Surely Jezza isn't sacking just the women?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

However, the Conservative Party as a whole is seen as marginally more right-wing than the Labour Party as a whole is seen as left-wing.
    Sure. But you know what happens in a GE campaign - the leader is everything and amounts to about 90% of the campaign which the public sees.
  • Options

Breaking...

I think because he's one of the few who has gotten noticed, but it's because of poor media performances ("not had any meetings with anyone in the City", that sort of thing), making him an obvious figure of mockery.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

By 44% to 52% so little difference, Cameron is seen as fractionally more centrist than his party, Corbyn as well to the left of his party, so as long as Corbyn remains Labour leader it is doomed
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Danny565

'However, the Conservative Party as a whole is seen as marginally more right-wing than the Labour Party as a whole is seen as left-wing'

Give Corbyn a chance he's only been leader for 3 months !

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The Yougov poll places Cameron at +46 on a left to right scale but Corbyn on an astonishing -76. Farron is at -10 and Farage at +61. Corbyn is now seen as even more leftwing than Farage is seen as rightwing

Farage and UKIP are seen as +61 right wing? But I thought they were after the votes of left wing voting labour voters. To be fair only the white ones. What this has to do with membership of the EU is a bit of a conundrum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Breaking...

I think because he's one of the few who has gotten noticed, but it's because of poor media performances ("not had any meetings with anyone in the City", that sort of thing), making him an obvious figure of mockery.
    As one of the original 36 Labour MPs to nominate Jeremy Corbyn the mockery is deserved.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Breaking...

Indeed. The term "car crash" is way overused but that interview really merited it.
  • Options
    This is by Glen is a today's must read

How is Jeremy Corbyn's Labour faring in elections so far?

The picture in London is good. Everywhere else, there's little to cheer about

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/01/how-jeremy-corbyns-labour-faring-elections-so-far
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farage and UKIP are seen as +61 right wing? But I thought they were after the votes of left wing voting labour voters. To be fair only the white ones. What this has to do with membership of the EU is a bit of a conundrum.
    UKIP are to the right of the Tories on immigration, the EU and social issues and Farage is probably to the right of Cameron on the economy and public services too
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2016
    Eagle

"How is Jeremy Corbyn's Labour faring in elections so far?"

I read a post yesterday from NickP on why he voted for Corbyn and why he'd do the same today....in sum a lefty and an all round good egg.....

It reminded me of an interview Frank Dobson gave when he was competing with Ken Livingstone for Mayor of London. He told how Livingstone had spent an age explaining to a female voter the danger of nuclear weapons. After a lot of nodding the lady said 'but what are you going to do about getting our bins emptied?'

The problem with Corbyn is that he's complete rubbish as an opposition leader. He doesn't give the impression of having the first idea what his job entails. So far all he's succeeded in doing is making Osborne look human. I've been Labour cannon fodder since I first started voting. I know no one who sees a Corbyn led Labour Party as other than a joke and that includes me.
  • Options

This is by Glen is a today's must read

How is Jeremy Corbyn's Labour faring in elections so far?

The picture in London is good. Everywhere else, there's little to cheer about

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/01/how-jeremy-corbyns-labour-faring-elections-so-far

Labour is London, though, remember.

Or soon will be.....
  • Options
    @hansmollman: Political journalists waiting outside Corbyn's office like waiting for the birth of a baby? A dysfunctional, party-splitting baby
This discussion has been closed.