Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s ratings tumble could impact on who runs the LEAVE

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s ratings tumble could impact on who runs the LEAVE campaign

While all the focus of late had been on Corbyn’s LAB another big political decision which could have huge consequences is so far unresolved. Who is going to lead and be the public voice of the LEAVE campaign?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First!!!
  • Options
    Remember the infamous "floodlight" failures linked to Asian gambling. If you are in anyway interested in the gambling world this is a must read (warning it is a long, but well sourced article)...

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14095257/how-world-biggest-bookie-paul-phua-was-snared-fbi-last-year-world-series-poker-walked-away-free-man
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Remember the infamous "floodlight" failures linked to Asian gambling. If you are in anyway interested in the gambling world this is a must read (warning it is a long, but well sourced article)...

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14095257/how-world-biggest-bookie-paul-phua-was-snared-fbi-last-year-world-series-poker-walked-away-free-man

As I couldn't remember, here is a link for anyone interested: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-floodlights-went-out-ndash-and-an-asian-betting-syndicate-raked-in-a-fortune-2066133.html
  • Options
    "Only the first past the post electoral system" ... what kind of nonsense is that claim?

UKIP failed last May not because of the electoral system but because in 649/650 seats UKIP failed to come first. Come the referendum we won't have a bizarre prizes for losers electoral system but an all or nothing straight choice. Either come fist nation wide or you lost that is the only way to win the referendum.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    Morning all. So I read through 400 posts on the last thread, eager to find out who got what job in the much trailed shad cab reshuffle, and.....

What the *#%=@? He's now looks even weaker than he did yesterday, and I didn't think that was possible.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. So I read through 400 posts on the last thread, eager to find out who got what job in the much trailed shad cab reshuffle, and.....

What the *#%=@? He's now looks even weaker than he did yesterday, and I didn't think that was possible.

Give him a break, he must have to try really hard to be this shit. The likes of the Chuckle Brothers had to work really hard at honing their cringeworthy act in order to become a household name in comedy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Sandpit said:

While PB is entertaining, it may have been easier to check a newspaper online, or the Beeb... :D
  • Options
    On topic: the key to the EU referendum will be floating voters, not getting the already-enthused UKIP vote out - to the latter it's already the vote of a lifetime. The leave campaign need to keep Farage well away, he's a Marmite politician and has the potential to screw things up more than he does to improve them.

Let the Leave supporters from the other main parties make the case to their own people (the Hoeys and Hannans for now, probably a few more from Lab and Con once the campaign starts).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Sandpit said:

Give him a break, he must have to try really hard to be this shit. The likes of the Chuckle Brothers had to work really hard at honing their cringeworthy act in order to become a household name in comedy.
    Whereas the Eagle Sisters just need to turn up for work...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    I must admit that I've changed my mind on this.

Six months ago, I thought Farage was a busted flush who had done an amazing job taking UKIP to 15%, but could take it - or the Brexit cause - no further.

But three things have made me change my mind:

1. Farage is still a fabulous advocate of Out. Go and rewatch the debates between him and Clegg. He is brilliant and ruthless. No-one else (not Kate Hoey, Douglas Carswell or Dan Hannan) articulates the case like he does.

2. Turnout is not going to be as high as at the general election. On this board, we're all fanatics. Not everyone is. In a 50% turnout referendum - which is entirely possible - motivating the base is going to be at least as important as convincing the undecided.

3. Immigration is still the hot button issue. Yes, I am far more open to people working across Europe without paperwork, without regulation, and without restrictions than most on the BOO side. But immigration concerns are a much greater issue than abstract concepts as sovereignty. Farage understands this.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    rcs1000 said:

1. Farage is still a fabulous advocate of Out. Go and rewatch the debates between him and Clegg. He is brilliant and ruthless. No-one else (not Kate Hoey, Douglas Carswell or Dan Hannan) articulates the case like he does.

While I don't think Farage should lead the Leave campaign, whoever does needs to know it inside out like he does. Farage demonstrated in those debates that he is very confident when debating the EU and I suspect those who want to leave know the EU better than those who want to stay. It is important that Leave makes use of this advantage.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sssml-rAVfY

"A wall that Mexico will pay for."

I have one serious question: how does Donald Trump plan on making the Mexicans pay for the wall?

"Senor Trump, you have asked us to spend tens of billions of dollars building a wall. Our response is best articulated by that given in the British case of Arkell vs Pressdram."
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sssml-rAVfY

"A wall that Mexico will pay for."

I have one serious question: how does Donald Trump plan on making the Mexicans pay for the wall?

"Senor Trump, you have asked us to spend tens of billions of dollars building a wall. Our response is best articulated by that given in the British case of Arkell vs Pressdram."

Didn't he say he'd close the border to legal Mexican crossing until Mexico did something about the illegal immigration, to which - to use a British analogy - they seem to have the same attitude as the French when they build a camp at the Chunnel entrance?

But yes, the Arkell vs Pressdram response is what would be expected from Señor Mexican President!

Interesting to see your about-turn on Farage. I think he has a place in the campaign but the leader needs to be more generally likeable. Agree completely that they need to have mastered the brief and arguments though, Clegg got a thorough beating in that debate.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/04/indian-english-phrases-indianisms-english-americanisms-vocabulary?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Following on from last nights discussion of accents and dialect, this is an interesting article on Indian Idioms. I have had many letters asking me to "do the needful".

English is an evolving languge, and an increasingly international one.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Norman Smith tells @BBCr4today that Hilary Benn will stay on as Shadow Foreign Secretary. That's a big climbdown by Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/04/indian-english-phrases-indianisms-english-americanisms-vocabulary?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Following on from last nights discussion of accents and dialect, this is an interesting article on Indian Idioms. I have had many letters asking me to "do the needful".

Very good! Anyone who's lived among diverse yet English-speaking communities will notice various phrases that come into use from the different cultures. In Arab countries if you need something done today, then "today itself" is the phrase to use, as "today" appears to mean an indeterminate period of time somewhere in the future. "Today insh'allah" means not today, not tomorrow and probably not next week either!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Yes, the indian ones are interesting. My wife (Japanese) was mystified by "going to a function" (I know we have this too, but not so common, I think). I was kind of surprised to find "coolie" in common usage
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Norman Smith tells @BBCr4today that Hilary Benn will stay on as Shadow Foreign Secretary. That's a big climbdown by Jeremy Corbyn.

Reshuffle day II - reshuffle harder!
    *buys shares in popcorn makers*
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200
    This is really rude - two party leaders elbowing each other to be The Worst In British Politics

Am I alone in wondering what a webcam would see as David Cameron reads the news, hour by hour?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,094
    Scott_P said:

I would say at this rate Corbyn won't make it to May, but then that's thinking logically. With no eject mechanism Labour are stuck with him until he resigns. What's most worrying of all is how chronically unselfaware his supporters are, yet Corbyn appears even less closely linked to reality than they are. I don't think he'll ever admit how disastrous his leadership is, and therefore will never resign of his own volition.

Labour are stuffed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,094

This is really rude - two party leaders elbowing each other to be The Worst In British Politics

Am I alone in wondering what a webcam would see as David Cameron reads the news, hour by hour?

Yes. Apart from anything else, after those reports about the pig I don't want to know what Cameron gets up to in his own time.
  • Options

They would probably find him rolling around on the floor laughing his head off!!

His spinners and George are probably working out if there's any bad news they can release today, as no-one in the media will care about reporting it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Very good! Anyone who's lived among diverse yet English-speaking communities will notice various phrases that come into use from the different cultures. In Arab countries if you need something done today, then "today itself" is the phrase to use, as "today" appears to mean a period of time somewhere in the future. "Today insh'allah" means not today, not tomorrow and probably not next week either!
    "Insh' allah" is a very useful phrase, and its implications are very useful when discussing different treatment options. The phrase carries the clear implication that things may not work out as planned.

"You will get a date shortly for the procedure, Insh' allah!"

There is also the implication that you have no control over whether it happens or not. A recognition that we are just cogs in a bigger system.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, remains' best hope is that Leave is so disorganised. Who will lead it is a critical question and one to which there's no clear answer.

In theory, there doesn't need to be a single leader: there wasn't in 1975 on either side (though arguably Heath came to dominate In, simply because of the energy he was prepared to commit). In practice, there'll be debates demanded and staged and someone has to step up to the plate, literally. And Farage will expect that to be him. He leads the party whose whole existence is to get Britain out of the EU; a party which finished third in the last GE and top in the last EP election. It's what his entire political career has been about.

And yet he's a divisive figure. Does that matter if his points have resonance anyway - it's not an election after all: you can back the position without the man? Well, yes, it does. Some people will vote Remain just because they don't like Farage (just as some will vote Leave because they don't like Cameron or want to cause the Tories trouble). But is there a better option? Not unless some very senior and widely-respected person comes out for Leave.

Even if they do, though, Farage will still fight for the job. Why wouldn't he? And there will be an instinct in any Tory to avoid having to go head-to-head with the PM. The instinct may not be strong enough to prevent it but it'll be a pull all the same. To have Conservatives leading both sides will both muddy the debate (as there'll be a whole Tory infighting meme running throughout), and damage the party. It would, ideally, be better for a Labour politician to lead but there's no-one who holds the opinion who could.

Which defaults back to Farage, for lack of a better option. But all this will take months to play out; months that could have been spent organising and campaigning.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Via a Guido poster, Mr Farage appears to have a Volvo with self unlocking nuts.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farages-volvo-hadnt-been-7115944#

The Mirror is now claiming that the car hadn't been recalled.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

I wouldn't - I've given up popcorn for NY...

So the reshuffle looks set to be pointless (on yet another level) if Benn stays on.
  • Options

On topic, remains' best hope is that Leave is so disorganised. Who will lead it is a critical question and one to which there's no clear answer.

In theory, there doesn't need to be a single leader: there wasn't in 1975 on either side (though arguably Heath came to dominate In, simply because of the energy he was prepared to commit). In practice, there'll be debates demanded and staged and someone has to step up to the plate, literally. And Farage will expect that to be him. He leads the party whose whole existence is to get Britain out of the EU; a party which finished third in the last GE and top in the last EP election. It's what his entire political career has been about.

And yet he's a divisive figure. Does that matter if his points have resonance anyway - it's not an election after all: you can back the position without the man? Well, yes, it does. Some people will vote Remain just because they don't like Farage (just as some will vote Leave because they don't like Cameron or want to cause the Tories trouble). But is there a better option? Not unless some very senior and widely-respected person comes out for Leave.

Even if they do, though, Farage will still fight for the job. Why wouldn't he? And there will be an instinct in any Tory to avoid having to go head-to-head with the PM. The instinct may not be strong enough to prevent it but it'll be a pull all the same. To have Conservatives leading both sides will both muddy the debate (as there'll be a whole Tory infighting meme running throughout), and damage the party. It would, ideally, be better for a Labour politician to lead but there's no-one who holds the opinion who could.

Which defaults back to Farage, for lack of a better option. But all this will take months to play out; months that could have been spent organising and campaigning.

Farage will lead Leave, defacto if not officially. It would be simpler to make it official. Leave should however make sure that the team around him is not chosen by him. Farages campaigning style is notoriously unprofessional and ineffective.

Punters should perhaps also note that betting against UKIP has been a nice little earner for a long time, and likely to continue to be so.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    edited January 2016
    What the OT overlooks is that ALL recognisable politicians are marmite, the difference with Nigel is he has an evangelical following that others resent. Without him ukip wouldn't have got anywhere near 4m votes, the refendum isn't about seats won its simply votes cast.

Tell you what INNERS, put your best man up against Nigel in a TV debate on the EU and let's see the outcome. I'd fallen for the nonsense that he alienated too many people, I've decided they're now running scared.

To clarify, I don't believe he's the best man to lead the Out campaign, but in any circumstances he'll play a prominent part.

I believe turnout will be low and that the more motivated side will win, complacency is IN's biggest enemy.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

I wouldn't - I've given up popcorn for NY...

So the reshuffle looks set to be pointless (on yet another level) if Benn stays on.
    I'm supposed to be doing Dry January so I reckon I'm allowed as much popcorn as I can eat!

Wasn't the whole point of the reshuffle to punish Benn for defying the leader on a free vote?

If he's forced to keep Benn in place then the whole thing is a farce, and several news cycles have been devoted to what a disorganised shambles the whole party is - without them actually going through with the reorganisation.

Armani Iannucci must be finding it all most perplexing, as real life is more farcical than the satire.
  • Options
    Changing the subject, the feminists have a dilemma watching the Chris Gayle interview this morning.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Great comment below the line in that article:

"Lets be brutally honest, those are not the only nuts to come loose in the UKIP camp!"

Harsh but fair.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,108
    Corbyn has done it again. Made himself look even weaker and more ridiculous than he was before. It is a magnificent achievement that really deserves wider recognition.

I mean, I can sort of understand why he thought it less than optimal to have his shadow foreign secretary completely disagreeing with him on the floor of the HoC and getting applause from the Tories. But to then find, after you have started and briefed the media that you are going to do something about it, that you simply cannot form a shadow cabinet unless you leave him in place is truly spectacular.

What I cannot get is why anyone vaguely serious wants to be in his shadow cabinet at all. Its just embarrassing. The PLP needs to set up alternative spokesmen and an alternative whipping operation so that the loyal opposition have a position on anything important. Ed's fatal mistake was to keep a blank sheet of paper for too long but at least he didn't write contradictory things on it in crayon.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,868
    dr_spyn said:

A side issue to this: are there any data protection issues to Volvo releasing such information to the Mirror ? I'm slightly surprised they did so.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Turnout is not going to be low. The public think this referendum is important. They may not have understood to their own satisfaction what the important questions are but they expect this to be an irreversible decision of far-reaching importance. They'll turn out to vote for this referendum.

Leave need someone who can reach the undecided. Nigel Farage has never looked like that man. He should be used to rally the base, not to win converts.
  • Options
    Poor old Nigel; first an assassination attempt and now this. How much can one man take before he breaks?
  • Options

What the OT overlooks is that ALL recognisable politicians are marmite, the difference with Nigel is he has an evangelical following that others resent. Without him ukip wouldn't have got anywhere near 4m votes, the refendum isn't about seats won its simply votes cast.

Tell you what INNERS, put your best man up against Nigel in a TV debate on the EU and let's see the outcome. I'd fallen for the nonsense that he alienated too many people, I've decided they're now running scared.

To clarify, I don't believe he's the best man to lead the Out campaign, but in any circumstances he'll play a prominent part.

I believe turnout will be low and that the more motivated side will win, complacency is IN's biggest enemy.

Turnout will not be low. People will believe that the vote matters, as indeed it does. This isn't about a voting system that differs only slightly from what we already have and that no-one really cares about; this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity (unless you live in Scotland) to decide a major aspect of this country's constitution and sovereignty. I'd expect a 70%+ turnout. Not as high as the Scottish independence vote or the NI Good Friday one but well up all the same.

And I think you're wrong to (1) lump all politicians together and (2) claim that Farage's 'evangelical following' will be relevant.

It's true that no politician is well loved. It's not true to say that they're all disliked equally, either in breadth or in depth. On the second point, UKIP scored well in 2015 mainly as a not-the-others party. It wasn't pro-Farage; it was anti-Cameron, Clegg and Miliband.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

dr_spyn said:

A side issue to this: are there any data protection issues to Volvo releasing such information to the Mirror ? I'm slightly surprised they did so.
    The recall was in 2010 and affected only 186 cars. I guess what Volvo are actually saying is that Farage's car was not one of those recalled (it's probably a later model) so that line of enquiry from the press is a red herring. Given their reputation for safety Volvo won't want stories about wheels falling off to gain much traction.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Turnout will not be low. People will believe that the vote matters, as indeed it does. This isn't about a voting system that differs only slightly from what we already have and that no-one really cares about; this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity (unless you live in Scotland) to decide a major aspect of this country's constitution and sovereignty. I'd expect a 70%+ turnout. Not as high as the Scottish independence vote or the NI Good Friday one but well up all the same.

And I think you're wrong to (1) lump all politicians together and (2) claim that Farage's 'evangelical following' will be relevant.

It's true that no politician is well loved. It's not true to say that they're all disliked equally, either in breadth or in depth. On the second point, UKIP scored well in 2015 mainly as a not-the-others party. It wasn't pro-Farage; it was anti-Cameron, Clegg and Miliband.
    I agree it wasn't pro Farage but it was pro ukip's message that he communicated very effectively.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2016

Poor old Nigel; first an assassination attempt and now this. How much can one man take before he breaks?

As much as he can grab in 'allowances' from the EU. He won't be jumping off the gravy train any time soon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Corbyn has done it again. Made himself look even weaker and more ridiculous than he was before. It is a magnificent achievement that really deserves wider recognition.

I mean, I can sort of understand why he thought it less than optimal to have his shadow foreign secretary completely disagreeing with him on the floor of the HoC and getting applause from the Tories. But to then find, after you have started and briefed the media that you are going to do something about it, that you simply cannot form a shadow cabinet unless you leave him in place is truly spectacular.

What I cannot get is why anyone vaguely serious wants to be in his shadow cabinet at all. Its just embarrassing. The PLP needs to set up alternative spokesmen and an alternative whipping operation so that the loyal opposition have a position on anything important. Ed's fatal mistake was to keep a blank sheet of paper for too long but at least he didn't write contradictory things on it in crayon.

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

His only interest is the wider Labour party and controlling it. For that reason, some of those who want to stop him believe that it helps him if they are seen to walk away. Much better, they believe, is to force him to fire them. I can see the logic. But what it tells us is that just about everyone in Labour has given up on seriously seeking power for the next decade at least.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283

dr_spyn said:

Quite a few cars have a locking nut.

On a different note, the Flying Scotsman had a pressure test yesterday, will be interesting to see if it does get back on the rails this week.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,108

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

His only interest is the wider Labour party and controlling it. For that reason, some of those who want to stop him believe that it helps him if they are seen to walk away. Much better, they believe, is to force him to fire them. I can see the logic. But what it tells us is that just about everyone in Labour has given up on seriously seeking power for the next decade at least.

I agree that Corbyn does not care and seems totally lacking in self awareness. What I find astonishing is that there are so few in the Party that do seem to care. Where are the latter day Gaitskell's willing to "fight, fight and fight again for the party" they love?

If they do not exist Labour may not just have written off the next election or the one after that. This could become an extinction event.
  • Options

Changing the subject, the feminists have a dilemma watching the Chris Gayle interview this morning.

1) I very much doubt Chris Gayle pines away alone most nights for want of female company.

2) If he was that smitten with the reporter's charms he could have waited the 30 seconds until the interview was over to ask her out.

It was a bit disrespectful to someone doing her job. That said, it's the biggest storm in a teacup of the year so far. I wish I could say that being asked out on a date is the worst indignity I'd suffered in my professional career.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

Quite a few cars have a locking nut.

On a different note, the Flying Scotsman had a pressure test yesterday, will be interesting to see if it does get back on the rails this week.
    The whole Flying Scotsman debacle has been both hilarious and quite sad.

I mean, it's not even an LMS locomotive, just one of those inferior LNER types... ;)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    A wonderfully strong show of weakness from Corbyn..
    "Benn,I want you out"
    "Not going"
    "Oh, alright then"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Farage is an asset for Remain. Leave should lock him in a shed for the next few years.

F1: apparently, in a bid to lose the last few viewers, the first race of the season will have a start time of... 2am, UK time.

https://twitter.com/superlicense/status/684154031615389696
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184

I agree it wasn't pro Farage but it was pro ukip's message that he communicated very effectively.

The analogy is surely Jezza's new Lab members vs the electorate as a whole. He has the former round his little finger, the majority of the latter are aghast.

Farage simply has too much baggage and is too easily caricatured to be a unifying figure for Leave to gather around. No matter how effective he may be or how much he may thrill us on PB debating vs Dan Hannan.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

I agree that Corbyn does not care and seems totally lacking in self awareness. What I find astonishing is that there are so few in the Party that do seem to care. Where are the latter day Gaitskell's willing to "fight, fight and fight again for the party" they love?

If they do not exist Labour may not just have written off the next election or the one after that. This could become an extinction event.

The battle is to win member hearts and minds. As things stand, they are very pro-Corbyn. Walking away lets him off the hook. If he is seen to fire people then his broad church, every view is important shtick is shown to be a nonsense. Benn and co are playing a long game. They have no other choice. The only way to get rid of Corbyn is to expose his uselessness over a sustained period of time.
  • Options
    Of all the reasons to dislike Mr Farage, is the revelation that he drives a Volvo near the top of a very long list?
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Morning, will this be the reshuffle that never was? Senior labour figure tells me Benn won't move, Eagle will move but won't be demoted..
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

The battle is to win member hearts and minds. As things stand, they are very pro-Corbyn. Walking away lets him off the hook. If he is seen to fire people then his broad church, every view is important shtick is shown to be a nonsense. Benn and co are playing a long game. They have no other choice. The only way to get rid of Corbyn is to expose his uselessness over a sustained period of time.
    My impression is that some Corbynites are reluctantly concluding that Jeremy Corbyn has too much baggage to succeed and will need to make way in a while for a new leader who embodies the new values without the awkward history. He may not last as long as is conventionally thought if that view takes hold.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

We would, however, get an amusing post from NPXMPX2 on why the new, ruthless Jezza is just what the Labour Party needs and is what Nick has been waiting for all these years/months/weeks/days.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

"Only the first past the post electoral system" ... what kind of nonsense is that claim?

UKIP failed last May not because of the electoral system but because in 649/650 seats UKIP failed to come first. Come the referendum we won't have a bizarre prizes for losers electoral system but an all or nothing straight choice. Either come fist nation wide or you lost that is the only way to win the referendum.

Important point. Whoever loses an election blames the electoral system!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

F1: apparently, in a bid to lose the last few viewers, the first race of the season will have a start time of... 2am, UK time.

Nope, he reckons wrong. There's not 14 hours' difference between London and Melbourne, more like 10 hours. The start will be 6am UK time, only one hour earlier than last year.

The reason for this is that the race can last up to 4 hours, so has to start at least that long before sunset - they have done the same with a number of races in the past year or two.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

Although a party is made up of many elements. Weak as Labour are at PLP, with Unions, they are still strong locally. However if Jezza gets his way with Momentum then that will change. Labour are so bad, that this internal strife is very good for the country. Rotten Boroughs like Rotherham, Lambeth and Merton needs fresh politicians, not Labour, to improve the areas. If Labour fail, these places get change.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Being that this reshuffle is now being plugged as extremely limited, it's becoming blatantly obvious corbyn was unable to conduct the kind of reshuffle he would have liked. Why brief about it for weeks on end only to move one or two people (and not even Benn?).

Labour are floundering in almost every respect. He.is.awful. and he's made himself (somehow) look even weaker.
  • Options
    @JamesTapsfield: Corbyn's fundamental reshuffle problem is that he doesn't have enough reliable allies in the PLP to fill the posts

@bbclaurak: Corbyn's office said last night no final decisions taken but seems that moves will be extremely limited, despite three weeks of frenzy...

@bbclaurak: One shad cabinet member, 'it was all on, and then it was all off again'
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, the reason for the floundering is Corbyn's incompetence.

Mr. Sandpit, hmm, cheers for that (surprised he made the mistake though, he's from Melbourne). I do remember the start time stuff from last year (a few races kicked off at 5am).
  • Options

Being that this reshuffle is now being plugged as extremely limited, it's becoming blatantly obvious corbyn was unable to conduct the kind of reshuffle he would have liked. Why brief about it for weeks on end only to move one or two people (and not even Benn?).

Labour are floundering in almost every respect. He.is.awful. and he's made himself (somehow) look even weaker.

Indeed. It's vital for Corbyn that he shows strength. If this reshuffle heads the way it looks as though it's going then he'll just seem even weaker.

I daresay NPXMPMPMPXX and other born-again Corbynites will be along to say: "he's listening to his MPs," or somesuch. But you don't match the army up to the top of the hill only to march them down again.

He should have worked out whether he could get what he wanted (at least the big posts) well before a reshuffle. Not doing so just makes you look incompetent and impotent.

There were some interesting posts the other day about the characteristics of a good leader. Corbyn is most certainly not a good leader.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mr. Sandpit, hmm, cheers for that (surprised he made the mistake though, he's from Melbourne). I do remember the start time stuff from last year (a few races kicked off at 5am).

If he's from Melbourne then he's probably used to subtracting two hours on a 12 hour clock to get London time. From London he needs to add the two hours, but he's subtracted them instead.

Malasiya and Korea were always the worst ones, as its in monsoon season and they needed to finish before the daily washout.

Malaysia and Singapore are back-to-back this year, which will screw with everyone's body clock - the cities are one hour apart by plane and on the same line of latitude, but the races are 8 hours apart by timing - in Singapore everyone stays on UK time for the night race.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

I'm also experienced that. It's kind of annoying in cases where "the needful" is a lot more complicated than the writer understands.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Let's not talk about the fact that UKIP polled 17% with YouGov yesterday, one of their best showings for a long time.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

I'm also experienced that. It's kind of annoying in cases where "the needful" is a lot more complicated than the writer understands.
    Yes, it's often used to trivialise a complicated request, at least in the eyes of the requester.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

Indeed. It's vital for Corbyn that he shows strength. If this reshuffle heads the way it looks as though it's going then he'll just seem even weaker.

I daresay NPXMPMPMPXX and other born-again Corbynites will be along to say: "he's listening to his MPs," or somesuch. But you don't match the army up to the top of the hill only to march them down again.

He should have worked out whether he could get what he wanted (at least the big posts) well before a reshuffle. Not doing so just makes you look incompetent and impotent.

There were some interesting posts the other day about the characteristics of a good leader. Corbyn is most certainly not a good leader.
    Morning all,

I seem to dimly recall that Blair wasn't very good at reshuffles. Is Corbyn a Blairite? Why doesn't he f-off and join the Tories?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mr. Sandpit, aye, I spotted that Malaysia had been shifted (a lot) in the provisional calendar, as has Russia, from memory.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Borough, I said that, when Kuenssberg[sp] was on the news saying reshuffles were difficult.

Cameron's seem to go smoothly, possibly because he only has them when he has to, or every few years.
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks - "My impression is that some Corbynites are reluctantly concluding that Jeremy Corbyn has too much baggage to succeed and will need to make way in a while for a new leader who embodies the new values without the awkward history. He may not last as long as is conventionally thought if that view takes hold."

It's an interesting one. There are two kinds of Corbynite - the hard leftists, such as Livingstone, Abbott and McDonnell (and Corbyn himself) who see him as a means to take Labour over, and the wide-eyed useful idiots who see him much as NickP does, a doe-eyed, gentle man of principle who wants only to bring a kinder, gentler form of politics to Labour and the UK generally. There are a lot more of the latter than the former, so that is where the battle has to be fought. Hence the reluctance of people like Hillary Ben just to walk away.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Morning, will this be the reshuffle that never was? Senior labour figure tells me Benn won't move, Eagle will move but won't be demoted..

No one seems to be mentioning that Eagle supports Trident which is Party policy, as confirmed by the last conference (and therefore, as I understand it, off the agenda for a couple of years).
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Norman Smith
    Ken Livingstone tells @bbc5live he doesn't beleive Jeremy Corbyn ever planned to get rid of Hilary Benn #reshuffle
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nope, he reckons wrong. There's not 14 hours' difference between London and Melbourne, more like 10 hours. The start will be 6am UK time, only one hour earlier than last year.
    14 hours time difference == 10 hours time difference
  • Options
    The Shadow Cabinet is totally demeaned by having Corbyn as their leader..he devalues their currency..
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mr. Sandpit, aye, I spotted that Malaysia had been shifted (a lot) in the provisional calendar, as has Russia, from memory.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Borough, I said that, when Kuenssberg[sp] was on the news saying reshuffles were difficult.

Cameron's seem to go smoothly, possibly because he only has them when he has to, or every few years.

One of Cameron's greatest achievements (in opposition and government) has been to leave ministers in departments to allow them to master their brief. He's been lucky that he's had few unprompted resignations, but has always moved the minimum of people around when he had to. Blair used to take the opportunity to move everyone every year. After three years in a role most would be happy to take another challenge, which makes the whole process easier for DC.

Corbyn's barely been there three months, and the unwillingness of people such as Benn to move only shows up the leader's lack of authority in being able to make the changes he wants.

Oh, and if you ever get the opportunity, go to Singapore to watch the night race. The best sporting event I've ever attended by a mile. It's a wonderful city and the whole place comes alive for the weekend. I've not been to Monaco though, I imagine that would be the same but even more expensive!
  • Options

@AlastairMeeks - "My impression is that some Corbynites are reluctantly concluding that Jeremy Corbyn has too much baggage to succeed and will need to make way in a while for a new leader who embodies the new values without the awkward history. He may not last as long as is conventionally thought if that view takes hold."

It's an interesting one. There are two kinds of Corbynite - the hard leftists, such as Livingstone, Abbott and McDonnell (and Corbyn himself) who see him as a means to take Labour over, and the wide-eyed useful idiots who see him much as NickP does, a doe-eyed, gentle man of principle who wants only to bring a kinder, gentler form of politics to Labour and the UK generally. There are a lot more of the latter than the former, so that is where the battle has to be fought. Hence the reluctance of people like Hillary Ben just to walk away.

I'm sure Nick will pop up at some point and add his two pence worth, but I seem to recall that he was also saying that Labour members, like himself, were also sick of the splitting the difference/triangulation of modern labour politics. Non-Corbynites in Labour need to think about this one a lot. Can they come up with new policies that change UK and attract people but are not 1970s rehashed state controlled nonsense nor a lot of triangulation?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited January 2016
    Hunt is being very measured and expressing surprise at the Junior docs walking out.

Meanwhile, Docs are talking to themselves on fb.

This might, finally, make the public realise that the staff in the NHS are often part of the problem with it.
  • Options

Norman Smith
    Ken Livingstone tells @bbc5live he doesn't beleive Jeremy Corbyn ever planned to get rid of Hilary Benn #reshuffle

That's, umm, er, ahh, what's the word? Male bovine excrement!
  • Options
    Sandpit..Having Livingstone defend you must be very damaging..who believes a word the man says..
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    If Livingstone says the sun is shining, its wise to check outside, its probably midnight.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mortimer said:

Hunt is being very measured and expressing surprise at the Junior docs walking out.

Meanwhile, Docs are talking to themselves on fb.

This might, finally, make the public realise that the staff in the NHS are often part of the problem with it.

Every interview I've seen with a 'representative' of the junior doctors starts with a personal rant about the SoS. Most people will switch off at that point, the docs are doing a very bad job of putting their case across.
    I'm not sure that the vast majority of public sector workers understand the change in working practices, pay and pensions that the private sector have gone through in the last few years.
  • Options
    The junior doctors will need to perform black masses live on air before the public decides that they side with the government against them.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AM There just needs to be a couple of needless deaths due to the strike and the Docs are stuffed...The Hospitals are there..the facilities are there...the Docs are not there..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Interesting article by the worldly-wise Michael White which cites Mike Smithson and PB. The link to what new MPs are saying is also worth reading for DavidL and others in the "why do they do it?" mode.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/jeremy-corbyn-reshuffle-labour-party-past-george-lansbury

As for me, Rottenborough sums up what I think more succinctly than I've done, so I'll leave it at that for now.
  • Options

Norman Smith

This Ken Livingstone?
    Ken Livingstone has publicly called for Hilary Benn to be removed as shadow foreign secretary as the Labour leader begun consulting on his long-awaited reshuffle.

The former London mayor and close ally of Jeremy Corbyn said the row between Mr Benn and the leader over air strikes in Syria was “counterproductive”.

He added that it would be “better” if Mr Benn was given a different brief on which he had views that did not directly clash with Mr Corbyn.
    After the famous Seamus press operation completely derailed (literally) Labour's only good policy announcement for months yesterday with rolling coverage of a reshuffle that didn't happen, I was curious how they could surpass themselves today.

And cue Ken...
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: ..

"We regret to announce the following layoffs, which I will read in alphabetical order:
    Eagle, Maria.
    That is all" https://t.co/LTREvqCdYp
  • Options
    It's marvellous, isn't it? So a reshuffle entirely motivated to get rid of Benn and his allies isn't getting rid of Benn or his allies as they refuse to play.

I do wonder how stupid Ken thinks we all are. Very apparently.
    Scott_P said:

Norman Smith

This Ken Livingstone?
    Ken Livingstone has publicly called for Hilary Benn to be removed as shadow foreign secretary as the Labour leader begun consulting on his long-awaited reshuffle.

The former London mayor and close ally of Jeremy Corbyn said the row between Mr Benn and the leader over air strikes in Syria was “counterproductive”.

He added that it would be “better” if Mr Benn was given a different brief on which he had views that did not directly clash with Mr Corbyn.
    After the famous Seamus press operation completely derailed (literally) Labour's only good policy announcement for months yesterday with rolling coverage of a reshuffle that didn't happen, I was curious how they could surpass themselves today.

And cue Ken...

• Options

I'm sure Nick will pop up at some point and add his two pence worth, but I seem to recall that he was also saying that Labour members, like himself, were also sick of the splitting the difference/triangulation of modern labour politics. Non-Corbynites in Labour need to think about this one a lot. Can they come up with new policies that change UK and attract people but are not 1970s rehashed state controlled nonsense nor a lot of triangulation?

I agree with that. My beef is with people such as NickP who believe that a hard-leftist such as Jeremy Corbyn is the solution and see him as an innocent naïf intent on only doing good and promoting discussion when he has spent 30 years hanging out with apologists for terrorism and has surrounded himself since becoming leader with anti-Western advisers who actively campaigned against Labour in the not-too-distant past.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

Although a party is made up of many elements. Weak as Labour are at PLP, with Unions, they are still strong locally. However if Jezza gets his way with Momentum then that will change. Labour are so bad, that this internal strife is very good for the country. Rotten Boroughs like Rotherham, Lambeth and Merton needs fresh politicians, not Labour, to improve the areas. If Labour fail, these places get change.
    Oldham would suggest that locally Labour are not the dead parrot that you suggest.

The May elections, perhaps the English locals will be crucial. If there is a collapse everywhere then a summer leadership challenge would be viable.

Indeed even if the results are more lacklustre than disaster, that is the only viable time for a challenge.
  • Options
    @glenoglaza1: #LabourReshuffle perfect media storm Whip up a story about sacking Hilary Benn then claim Corbyn bottled it when no such thing happens
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2016
    SO

"It's an interesting one. There are two kinds of Corbynite - the hard leftists, such as Livingstone, Abbott and McDonnell (and Corbyn himself) who see him as a means to take Labour over, and the wide-eyed useful idiots who see him much as NickP does, a doe-eyed, gentle man of principle who wants only to bring a kinder, gentler form of politics to Labour and the UK generally. There are a lot more of the latter than the former, so that is where the battle has to be fought."

Interesting how quickly this metamorphosis has happened. I'm even noticing a new breed of aggressive Labour women not heard since the 70's with names like Joss Kat and Spike...

......must be escaping the floods in Hebden Bridge
  • Options

Dixie said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

Oldham would suggest that locally Labour are not the dead parrot that you suggest.

The May elections, perhaps the English locals will be crucial. If there is a collapse everywhere then a summer leadership challenge would be viable.

Indeed even if the results are more lacklustre than disaster, that is the only viable time for a challenge.
    You are right about the timetable but that implies that if the results are lacklustre rather than disastrous then Corbyn will be in place through to 2017.
  • Options
    The election that never was marked the beginning of the end for Gordo.

Will the reshuffle that never was do the same for Jezza?
  • Options
    Labour's representative on Sky News passim. I wonder how he'd be trying to spin this if he was still on screen?

His sympathies leaked out all over his reports.
    Scott_P said:

@glenoglaza1: #LabourReshuffle perfect media storm Whip up a story about sacking Hilary Benn then claim Corbyn bottled it when no such thing happens

• Options

Dixie said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn has done it again. Made himself look even weaker and more ridiculous than he was before. It is a magnificent achievement that really deserves wider recognition

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

I wonder how much of an illusion of success is being given to Labour after Oldham?

They had an outstanding local candidate there, a potential leader in 10 years' time maybe, replace a longstanding and well liked MP who died in office. With hindsight the result was as expected, not some massive victory for Corbyn and his fellow travellers, as they would like to have us all believe.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Scott_P said:

No one seems to be mentioning that Eagle supports Trident which is Party policy, as confirmed by the last conference (and therefore, as I understand it, off the agenda for a couple of years).
    If some CNDer/Tridentscrapper is moved to defence then I think that tells us all we need to know about Corbyn. If the shadow cabinet accept it then it tells us all we need to know about the PLP.
  • Options
    I hope not for pure entertainment reasons, but I can't see how failing to deliver and pretending you never really intended one in the first place/all fault of Evil Rolling Media is going to stop the dissent.

Absolutely cackhanded and weak. Still, they've knobbled Danzcuk in the most improbable way.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    I have long thought that Farage is the wrong person to lead the out campaign. Indeed my sole article for PB to date was about this very point. I have seen nothing in recent months to make me change my mind about this. UKIP may be a significant force but they still only got 12% of the vote. Yes that is a great achievement but it is still 38% short of what they need to win a referendum.

Those 12% will almost certainly all vote out anyway no matter who leads the campaign so the trick for Leave has to be to pick a figurehead who can appeal to a wider audience. Farage, for all his speaking ability, has too much baggage and cannot be that person.

Incidently I see that 6 more of the 2015 new Tory intake have said they will campaign to Leave over the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @ShippersUnbound: . @MattChorley nails the Labour reshuffle in his first daily Red Box briefing. Sign up here: https://t.co/SagisH8nMl https://t.co/yfP4nQNICK
    Revenge, it seems, is a dish best served in the style of Julie Walters carrying two soups across a small restaurant: interminably slow and inept with most of it slopping on to the floor long before it can be properly digested.
  • Options
    Lolz

.@MattChorley off to a flying start as @timesredbox supremo https://t.co/aURpPqhhkB
  • Options
    Miss Plato, quite agree on O'Glaza.

If no reshuffle were planned, all Corbyn had to do was say "There's no reshuffle" instead of "TRAINS!"
  • Options

Interesting article by the worldly-wise Michael White which cites Mike Smithson and PB. The link to what new MPs are saying is also worth reading for DavidL and others in the "why do they do it?" mode.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/jeremy-corbyn-reshuffle-labour-party-past-george-lansbury

As for me, Rottenborough sums up what I think more succinctly than I've done, so I'll leave it at that for now.

The article says: " Like Lansbury, Corbyn’s principles and essential decency are obvious for all to see."

I think this is the problem. You may look at Corbyn and see a principled man with essential decency. I look at him and see a man whose 'principles' are far from essentially decent.

Perhaps you could explain his 'principles' and 'essential decency'?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dixie said:

DavidL said:

I wonder how much of an illusion of success is being given to Labour after Oldham?

They had an outstanding local candidate there, a potential leader in 10 years' time maybe, replace a longstanding and well liked MP who died in office. With hindsight the result was as expected, not some massive victory for Corbyn and his fellow travellers, as they would like to have us all believe.
    A better guide are the local elections. While individually these can be all over the place, the average swings from all the elections across several months does produce a meaningful figure. On that basis, Corbyn is not doing disastrously although he's hardly setting the world alight either.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It marked the end of the beginning. IIRC, Brown was about 10 points ahead in the polls in early September (though much of that was froth, which is what caused the dithering); Corbyn's position is rather different. All the same, Brown lasted through to the scheduled date of the election, two and a half years later.
This discussion has been closed.