Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Not in my name: Alastair Meeks looks at Jeremy Corbyn’s par

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Not in my name: Alastair Meeks looks at Jeremy Corbyn’s party leadership style

In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the burning topic of the day – literally, on occasion –  was religion.  In England, the cutting edge of religious thought was found among what we now call the Puritans.  This label was originally in fact a catch-all term of abuse for a variety of different hardline Protestant groups and not one that those so labelled would have welcomed.  One of the seminal figures was an Islington cleric called Robert Browne.  Unwilling to commune with the Church of England, they suffered fines and other indignities in the early seventeenth century.  They protested very heavily against this, given their deeply held beliefs.  Some emigrated to leave behind this persecution:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Excellent piece Alastair.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Awkward

SkyNews
    Interior Ministry: 18 of 29 foreigners questioned by German police over robbery and sex attacks in #Cologne on NYE were asylum seekers

Legally, what is the situation if an asylum seeker makes it to your territory and then applies for asylum? Can you just deport them or do they have to have due process?

Is asylum seeker the same thing as refugee?

This is the problem...Where are you going to deport some people to. If they are Syrian, are you going to drop them off at the airport in Damascus? Frau Merkel doesn't seem to have thought this one though before her comments.
    Yes. If they can't behave in Europe then send them back to Syria. After the first plane load the rest might get the message.
    Maybe they can put on a RyanAir version of the flight i.e Today we will be flying to a local airport in the vicinity of Damascus, where upon you may take a bus to your final destination. Today we will be landing in Damascus International Airport, Raqqa.
  • Options

F Urquhart...sorry.. I haven't made any...never even seen the show..

The gag is that Mrs Bucket (she pronounces it Buuukkkk) is the worlds worst snob. The sort of person who would sneer about working class people who go to work in white vans and like to hang their England flags from their homes. Oh and Thornberry doesn't look that dissimilar to boot.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,403
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure if this is going to inflate or deflate Farage's ego.

Via Britain Elects.

LDN // Best politician to lead the campaign to leave the EU:
    N. Farage: 19%
    B. Johnson: 11%
    T. May: 8%
    [DK]: 54%
    (via YouGov / 04 - 06 Jan)

Edit to clarify this is a London only poll
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

Via Britain Elects.

This Mr (Mrs) DK is very popular. They should stand in the Tory party leadership.

Given the recent assignation attempt, I would have thought Farage wouldn't be too keen to spend all that time in public...
  • Options
    London // EU referendum poll:
    Remain: 39%
    Leave: 34%
  • Options

Via Britain Elects.

This Mr (Mrs) DK is very popular. They should stand in the Tory party leadership.

Given the recent assignation attempt, I would have thought Farage wouldn't be too keen to spend all that time in public...
    I should clarify that is a London only poll
  • Options

That's a lot of don't knows / don't cares.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    A very well-argued thread.

You should be a lawyer....
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    What do his party opponents have to combat it?

They have a mushy centrist blend, which they can ultimately use as cover for implementing some of the things that those further to the wing of their party want.

Unfortunately pragmatism isn't much of a credo, and - in the eyes of a large chunk of the party - has failed at the the last two elections. Not least because David Cameron has been doing much the same thing but better. He has destroyed one party, neutralised the threat from another and driven a third mad.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Remain only has a 5-point lead in LONDON??
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    From an ITV news corespondent

Labour's new Shadow Defence Secretary told me this morning. "I don't know why Jeremy gave me this job but I know that I'm really honoured."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Labour's new Shadow Defence Secretary told me this morning. "I don't know why Jeremy gave me this job but I know that I'm really honoured."

She must be the only person in the UK who doesn't know why he gave her the job...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited January 2016
    I approve of any piece that involves discussion of 17th century political and religious factions. It makes my undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations seem worthwhile.

If memory serves, There was quite an amusing exchange in the parliament on Christmas Day during the second protectorate parliament (IIRC), lamenting that not very many members were in attendance on the so called holy day, even though of course such days were not,or at least should not, be celebrated anymore.
  • Options
    This was CCHQ's reaction when Lady Nugee was appointed Shadow Defence Secretary

http://youtu.be/ju_WSjSo3DY
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited January 2016
    It's all about the politics, appearances which the Conservatives have exploited to the full to keep Labour on the back foot -- assuming Jezza and Seamus have made it out of the pavilion. Not in Jermey's name, or Cameron's apparently, since the RAF's bombing campaign in Syria was a damp squib and shoot to kill is still illegal. Next Corbyn will plunge Labour into a pointless row about a decision it won't be asked to make about Trident when it should be attacking the government for slashing our armed forces. Politics, eh.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Very interesting, thought-provoking piece. Thank you.

I think the reshuffle, though limited in scope, is a watershed, the end of the Hundred Flowers.

I don't think this will end well for Corbyn. There are aspects of his worldview that are so odd that he won't get people to pay lip-service to them. Further resignations and weakening of the shadow cabinet seem inevitable.
  • Options
    @angelasmithmp: so here we have it ... the far left recommending privatization of the BBC. I despair, I really do. https://t.co/qtPTbrxHem
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

I approve of any piece that involves discussion of 17th century political and religious factions. It makes my undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations seem worthwhile.

If memory serves, There was quite an amusing exchange in the parliament on Christmas Day during the second protectorate parliament (IIRC), lamenting that not very many members were in attendance on the so called holy day, even though of course such days were not,or at least should not, be celebrated anymore.

The father of a friend of mine ran a factory in Wigtown in the 1950s. Even the worst employees would make a point of coming in to work on Christmas day, to prove that they weren't heathen who celebrated Christmas.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    FU OK..But what has she got to do with me..I have never ..ever.. mentioned her..on PB or elsewhere....
  • Options
    Interesting to lay out the logic behind the tactics being employed, some of which are probably the best approach JC can take given the respective positioning and hostility that currently exists.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Further resignations and weakening of the shadow cabinet seem inevitable.

The only questions are how many, when would do maximum damage, and will the BBC report them...

Maybe Shadsy can put up some odds?
  • Options

I'm not sure if this is going to inflate or deflate Farage's ego.

I'll hazard a guess.
  • Options

They have a mushy centrist blend, which they can ultimately use as cover for implementing some of the things that those further to the wing of their party want.

Unfortunately pragmatism isn't much of a credo, and - in the eyes of a large chunk of the party - has failed at the the last two elections. Not least because David Cameron has been doing much the same thing but better. He has destroyed one party, neutralised the threat from another and driven a third mad.

Spot on. Those opposing Corbyn don't have A Big Idea. They need to go away and come up with a Social Democratic Manifesto In An Age Of No Money. Unfortunately for them, when the voter pool is (to be kind) economically uncomplicated, then Corbyn's Let's REALLY Shake That Money Tree will always be top trumps.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Danny Fink made an observation about Corbyn and Tony Benn a few weeks ago.

He noted that Benn said

- One must stick to one's principles
    - So, free votes are essential
    - But Cabinet solidarity was essential
    - So, those who disagree with the leader must go
    - Unity is now established
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Wanderer said:

Further resignations and weakening of the shadow cabinet seem inevitable.

The only questions are how many, when would do maximum damage, and will the BBC report co-ordinate them...

Fixed it for you...

• Options
    Comparing Thornberry to Bucket is so cruel and true.

The gag is that Mrs Bucket (she pronounces it Buuukkkk) is the worlds worst snob. The sort of person who would sneer about working class people who go to work in white vans and like to hang their England flags from their homes. Oh and Thornberry doesn't look that dissimilar to boot.
  • Options

Spot on. Those opposing Corbyn don't have A Big Idea. They need to go away and come up with a Social Democratic Manifesto In An Age Of No Money. Unfortunately for them, when the voter pool is (to be kind) economically uncomplicated, then Corbyn's Let's REALLY Shake That Money Tree will always be top trumps.

A social-democratic manifesto will ALWAYS inevitably cost some money. That none of the moderates were prepared to advocate that last summer, and allowed themselves to be intellectually cowed by the Tories "live within our means" rubbish, is exactly why Corbyn was elected
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Has Hyacinth forgotten she voted against Trident renewal in 2007?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@angelasmithmp: so here we have it ... the far left recommending privatization of the BBC. I despair, I really do. https://t.co/qtPTbrxHem

Much as pb is dominated by right-wing claims that all BBC employees have snow on their boots, those on the left see Auntie as an extension of CCHQ's press office, UKIP thinks the BBC is a branch office of the EU, and the SNP derides its unionist propaganda. 'Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    I like the analogy Alastair.

If Blair was Charles I and Corbyn is Cromwell, will the currently exiled David Miliband return as Charles II?
  • Options
    That really surprised me too.
    Danny565 said:

• Options

For a lawyer, she says the dumbest stuff.
  • Options

Yes, Cameron is trying to do to Labour what Blair did to the Tories: occupy enough of the centre ground so that the other team has nowhere to go but nutterdom.

The answer, for Labour, is probably just to wait until the Tories stop doing it.
  • Options
    By the time Watson returned, Dugher’s sacking had already been announced. Indeed, it would have been announced even earlier. Corbyn’s press spokesman Seumas Milne had convinced his leader they should sack Dugher in time to announce it for Monday’s 10pm news bulletins. But according to one shadow minister, Dugher became aware of the plan at around 9pm, and made a series of lengthy phone calls to friends and colleagues to ensure his phone was engaged. “They were sending him these increasingly frantic messages, and he was telling people: “Oh, got another one – “phone Jeremy. Urgent”." When Dugher finally returned the call, after 10pm, Corbyn’s office didn’t bother to respond.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tom-watson/12089225/Tom-Watsons-power-is-waning-and-soon-hes-going-to-have-to-choose-where-his-loyalties-lie.html
  • Options
    Ausgezeichnet Alastair.

Is Corbyn now the Lord High Protector of the Marxist creed? Seumas Milne his Witchfinder General? (or Momentum?)
    The Puritans were, in a very real sense, the Christian Taleban. Cromwell their Muqtada Al Sadr. In a word they were utter cnuts. Fanatical, narrow-minded, ideologically driven by their warped religion, joyless, wankers of the first water. So your Corbyn analogy is sublime.
  • Options

It's all about the politics, appearances which the Conservatives have exploited to the full to keep Labour on the back foot -- assuming Jezza and Seamus have made it out of the pavilion. Not in Jermey's name, or Cameron's apparently, since the RAF's bombing campaign in Syria was a damp squib and shoot to kill is still illegal. Next Corbyn will plunge Labour into a pointless row about a decision it won't be asked to make about Trident when it should be attacking the government for slashing our armed forces. Politics, eh.

When Corbyn turns Labour into a unilateralist party once more he makes it much more difficult for his replacement to be a multilateralist (read someone on the centre or right of the party). Labour only accepted multilaterialism after its fourth election defeat in a row - and then grudgingly. There is method in Corbyn's madness. Benn was not part of the defence review, Eagle was. Her removal is actually the most significant development of the last few days. Corbyn can now do exactly what he wants with no brake. And a Benn resignation further down the line will mean nothing. That's because Corbyn is not interested in Labour winning power. He is interested in the hard left winning power within Labour.

• Options
    Wanderer said:

Yes, Cameron is trying to do to Labour what Blair did to the Tories: occupy enough of the centre ground so that the other team has nowhere to go but nutterdom.

The answer, for Labour, is probably just to wait until the Tories stop doing it.
    The answer is to wait for things to go wrong. We laugh at Brown now, but he was outdoing Blair for a while, in the days of PODWAS and labour-majority-increase. Then Brown made several self-inflicted wounds before the big Made-In-America one struck.

A friend of mine likes to use a wicket-keeper analogy: always be ready for the nick, no matter how well set the batsmen are. Currently Labour have discarded their gloves and are standing too far away from the stumps in any case.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Is she really that thick?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Danny565 said:

A social-democratic manifesto will ALWAYS inevitably cost some money. That none of the moderates were prepared to advocate that last summer, and allowed themselves to be intellectually cowed by the Tories "live within our means" rubbish, is exactly why Corbyn was elected
    And exactly why he will proceed no further than Opposition. Because those who vote don't consider "living within our means" to be rubbish. It is a totem.
  • Options
    How is Live-within-our-means rubbish?

Don't you do that at home?
    Danny565 said:

• Options
    Patrick said:

Ausgezeichnet Alastair.

Is Corbyn now the Lord High Protector of the Marxist creed? Seumas Milne his Witchfinder General? (or Momentum?)
    The Puritans were, in a very real sense, the Christian Taleban. Cromwell their Muqtada Al Sadr. In a word they were utter cnuts. Fanatical, narrow-minded, ideologically driven by their warped religion, joyless, wankers of the first water. So your Corbyn analogy is sublime.

There's something intellectually and aesthetically satisfying about Puritan theology actually.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016
    Actually the Corbynistas are dead right in their view that the BBC is campaigning against them. The BBC mindset is liberal-left, not Corbynite, and the Beeboids are horrified that he is making Labour unelectable. That has been extremely obvious for months, and, try as they might, the Beeboids can't hide it. There was a splendid example on the World This Weekend last Sunday, where the interviewer's final question was something like 'So we can't hope for a Labour government again for a very long time?'
  • Options

Actually the Corbynistas are dead right in their view that the BBC is campaigning against them. The BBC mindset is liberal-left, not Corbynite, and the Beeboids are horrified that he is making Labour unelectable. That has been extremely obvious for months, and, try as they might, the Beeboids can't hide it. There was a splendid example on the World This Weekend last Sunday, where the interviewer's final question was something like 'So we can't hope for a Labour government again for a very long time?'

Yup, the BBC is Blairite to its core. Save for Iraq.
  • Options
    The Panorama on Corbyn was appalling. I'd be very pissed off if I were a genuine Corbynite.

Actually the Corbynistas are dead right in their view that the BBC is campaigning against them. The BBC mindset is liberal-left, not Corbynite, and the Beeboids are horrified that he is making Labour unelectable. That has been extremely obvious for months, and, try as they might, the Beeboids can't hide it. There was a splendid example on the World This Weekend last Sunday, where the interviewer's final question was something like 'So we can't hope for a Labour a government again for a very long time?'

• Options
    Patrick said:

Ausgezeichnet Alastair.

Interestingly ununified in their narrow mindedness however. There were some interesting debates on whether Quakers were beyond the pale, or tolerable, which I suppose in this analogy would be determining if Blairites are Red Tories or misguided fellow travellers.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Wanderer said:

Patrick said:

Ausgezeichnet Alastair.

There's something intellectually and aesthetically satisfying about Puritan theology actually.
    There is nothing intellectual about Corbyn(ism)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Much as pb is dominated by right-wing claims that all BBC employees have snow on their boots, those on the left see Auntie as an extension of CCHQ's press office, UKIP thinks the BBC is a branch office of the EU, and the SNP derides its unionist propaganda. 'Twas ever thus.

Yep - the BBC is hated by the left, the right and the nationalists.

• Options
    @JohnRentoul: Corbynites venerate party democracy over broader democracy, except when it produces *the wrong answer* https://t.co/PtDbRDcnkn
  • Options

Ha, ha. The BBC is Blairite to its core, except when it's not.

• Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Thanks for an excellent article, Alastair.

FPT: Someone asked what "Stage 3" meant. This article by Mark Steyn describes what might be argued appears to be the "typical" stages of reporting when "inconvenient" crimes occur.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/294130/lather-rinse-and-repeat-mark-steyn
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Danny565 said:

That is largely a let's wait and see poll. If Cameron gets a deal the lead would shoot up.
  • Options
    Journalist who suggested #Cologne attacks were staged by German right-wingers retreats to her safe space. https://t.co/HJacl7flqv
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

When Corbyn turns Labour into a unilateralist party once more he makes it much more difficult for his replacement to be a multilateralist (read someone on the centre or right of the party). Labour only accepted multilaterialism after its fourth election defeat in a row - and then grudgingly. There is method in Corbyn's madness. Benn was not part of the defence review, Eagle was. Her removal is actually the most significant development of the last few days. Corbyn can now do exactly what he wants with no brake. And a Benn resignation further down the line will mean nothing. That's because Corbyn is not interested in Labour winning power. He is interested in the hard left winning power within Labour.

Except he has to change party policy on Trident at conference. As today's Telegraph points out, Len of Unite is not going to allow that to happen.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

Danny565 said:

I refer the honourable lady to the Paradox of Thrift....
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Danny565 said:

And exactly why he will proceed no further than Opposition. Because those who vote don't consider "living within our means" to be rubbish. It is a totem.
    If running a deficit constitutes not "living within our means", then Britain did not "live within our means" for 9 of Thatcher's 11 years in office.
  • Options

Except he has to change party policy on Trident at conference. As today's Telegraph points out, Len of Unite is not going to allow that to happen.

Then Corbyn will be finished. I just don't see that happening yet.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

By the time Watson returned, Dugher’s sacking had already been announced. Indeed, it would have been announced even earlier. Corbyn’s press spokesman Seumas Milne had convinced his leader they should sack Dugher in time to announce it for Monday’s 10pm news bulletins. But according to one shadow minister, Dugher became aware of the plan at around 9pm, and made a series of lengthy phone calls to friends and colleagues to ensure his phone was engaged. “They were sending him these increasingly frantic messages, and he was telling people: “Oh, got another one – “phone Jeremy. Urgent”." When Dugher finally returned the call, after 10pm, Corbyn’s office didn’t bother to respond.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tom-watson/12089225/Tom-Watsons-power-is-waning-and-soon-hes-going-to-have-to-choose-where-his-loyalties-lie.html

Also contains a cracking typo:

"To some Labour MPs, this seems a rather convenient absence. “It’s all got a whiff of John Major’s toothache” one said to me – a reference to the dental emergency that allowed Major to avoid singing Margaret Thatcher’s nomination papers during the Tory putsch of 1990.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

An excellent and well-sourced piece from Dan. Nice to see Andy Burnham having a totally-in-character cameo too.
  • Options

Ha, ha. The BBC is Blairite to its core, except when it's not.

I suppose I could have said that it was Corbynite to the core, except on domestic policy. ;-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    Interesting piece. I think that Corbyn started on the naive basis that everyone would state their views clearly and politely and with luck he'd win the argument. But it became clear that disagreement within the Shadow Cabinet would be endlessly exploited, especially when it was made with a tinge of personal malice - the number of "A senior shadow cabinet Minister said scathingly..." stories were too frequent to ignore, and the willingness of some to up the ante with public talk of punishment beatings and revenge reshuffles was not consistent with any idea of loyalty to the shadow cabinet.

I personally think that both sides of the Trident argument exaggerate its importance and it's become a token that people love to fight over rather than a really decisive issue, not least as it'll be decided by Parliament long before 2020. But it's clearly going to be a major theme and having a direct split with the Shadow Defence Secretary was really untenable.

O/T: anyone interested in politics over the last 20 years really should read these:

http://clinton.presidentiallibraries.us/files/original/5aa4876f138a60330e869d23b372880d.pdf

- despite the security redactions they offer a really remarkable insight into the discussions on the NI peace agreement, the run-up to the Iraq conflict (though they end in 2000) and even things like the hanging chad issue. There are endless sidelight on major public figures, and the media reports from it have only scratched the surface.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

It's so funny - and he thinks he's some sort of moderate. Presumably he wants it paid for by more taxes on middle England and more borrowing from countries largely poorer than us.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Danny565 said:

I don't "live within my means", in the sense that I have an outstanding mortgage; if I'd started getting hysterical about how evil any debt is and how I needed to pay off my mortgage immediately, I would be considerably worse off right now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Danny565 said:

There is certainly room for a left of centre policy grouping, that advocates higher taxes and higher spending. The problem was that while plenty wanted the higher spending, no-one was prepared to offer the accompanying tax rises to pay for it. And no, taxing 'evil bankers' won't raise a fraction of what's required.

The approach they did take of being 'Tory-lite' impressed no-one, when the real Tories were also on offer, with a recent good record in government and trusted on the economy.

If an SDP2 party emerges, or a party-within-a-party waiting for Corbyn to get fed up, they could do a lot better than have a sensibly costed left wing agenda ready to go.
  • Options

I personally think that both sides of the Trident argument exaggerate its importance and it's become a token that people love to fight over rather than a really decisive issue, not least as it'll be decided by Parliament long before 2020. But it's clearly going to be a major theme and having a direct split with the Shadow Defence Secretary was really untenable.

Indeed - in one sense it's a pointless distraction because Cameron will have the votes regardless of Labour policy.

But the policy, if changed, is presumably going to go into the 2020 manifesto anyway as a (by then more expensive) commitment to cancelling the process. Risky.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

If running a deficit constitutes not "living within our means", then Britain did not "live within our means" for 9 of Thatcher's 11 years in office.
    Only works if the borrowing is limited to the level of trust required of the lender to provide it at an acceptable price. And acceptance that it is our children who pay the bill.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

An excellent and well-sourced piece from Dan. Nice to see Andy Burnham having a totally-in-character cameo too.

Yes, an excellent explanation of the 'new politics' all around. Dismal.
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Only works if the borrowing is limited to the level of trust required of the lender to provide it at an acceptable price. And acceptance that it is our children who pay the bill.
    So Tory deficits = fine, Labour deficits = evil. Ok then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016

That's an effing awful poll for Remain. London should be their strongest area in England.
  • Options

The best satire and parody is that which has enough truth behind it to be plausible. Whoever first made the comparison was spot on.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

That is a good point.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I don't "live within my means", in the sense that I have an outstanding mortgage; if I'd started getting hysterical about how evil any debt is and how I needed to pay off my mortgage immediately, I would be considerably worse off right now.
    That's the reason why we have returned to making it so much more difficult for people to get mortgages they cannot afford. The merry go round has ended for many of today's young - because so many were too greedy - I include many middle of the road mortgage holders as well as the bankers who fueled their greed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

You clearly struggling on debt vs deficit. Nobody is advocating paying off the mortgage immediately, not paying it off ever. not even Osbornes fantasy figures suggest we start making any repayments off the capital for another 4 years. But you know all of this already.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

... David Cameron ... has destroyed one party, neutralised the threat from another and driven a third mad.

OR ... David Cameron has been lucky.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    Also of interest to those (cf the podcast last night) who think that the membership is having doubts: analysis showing that committed Labour supporters feel the party is still too far to the right

http://labourlist.org/2016/01/could-corbyns-position-strengthen-further-labour-supporters-still-more-left-wing-than-party/

The problem, of course, is that there is a circular effect in that: in general, the most committed supporters of any party will wish it was purer and less willing to compromise, but if the party obliges then its committed support shrinks to those who feel that particularly strongly, etc. It's a problem that surfaces most around the time of leadership elections...
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

That's the reason why we have returned to making it so much more difficult for people to get mortgages they cannot afford. The merry go round has ended for many of today's young - because so many were too greedy - I include many middle of the road mortgage holders as well as the bankers who fueled their greed.
    MOST people who aren't super-rich have to take out a mortgage if they want a house. If the Tories go down the road of saying no-one should be able to buy a house without paying the full sum upfront (and that everyone should instead go into rented accommodation), then I'm not sure they will like the political consequences for their party.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,745
    FPT

Does anyone still buy antimacassars?

I bought a nice tallboy from Cheap Stuff From Dead People[2] intending to restore it someday.It was in similar dark red wood to a bureau of mine and had matching art deco[1] legs, so it triggered my "everything must match" gene. Being a bear of very little brain, I put an old big telly on top of it which scratched it to heck and back. A doily would have been outstandingly useful had I thought ahead.

[1] I may be using the wrong term here: I know terms like "Edwardian", "Streamline Moderne", "moderne", or others may be appropriate, and I can date buildings fairly accurately but not so much furniture, so I may be wrong here. But if you were filming "Poirot", you'd put it in the set, so let's wing it.
    [2] British Heart Foundation Furniture and Electrical.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I personally think that both sides of the Trident argument exaggerate its importance...''

I am reminded of the wonderful Sir Humphrey comment ''Trident is the missile system Harrods would sell you''.

Shortly before he tells the PM that if he cancels Trident he'll only be meeting the VICE President.

Priceless.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

No - I wasn't making a party point - the level of trust is based on confidence that the borrower has an economic plan which is prudent enough to bring the deficit down in time - call it a long-term economic plan if you wish but such things don't have to be the exclusive property of the Tories. Currently it seems that way but that is hardly Osborne's fault.
  • Options

Interesting piece. I think that Corbyn started on the naive basis that everyone would state their views clearly and politely and with luck he'd win the argument. But it became clear that disagreement within the Shadow Cabinet would be endlessly exploited, especially when it was made with a tinge of personal malice - the number of "A senior shadow cabinet Minister said scathingly..." stories were too frequent to ignore, and the willingness of some to up the ante with public talk of punishment beatings and revenge reshuffles was not consistent with any idea of loyalty to the shadow cabinet.

O/T: anyone interested in politics over the last 20 years really should read these:

http://clinton.presidentiallibraries.us/files/original/5aa4876f138a60330e869d23b372880d.pdf

- despite the security redactions they offer a really remarkable insight into the discussions on the NI peace agreement, the run-up to the Iraq conflict (though they end in 2000) and even things like the hanging chad issue. There are endless sidelight on major public figures, and the media reports from it have only scratched the surface.

Unfortunately, Labour history tells us it is a decisive issue. Certainly a 2020 manifesto commitment to cancel the renewal will dominate the election campaign IMHO. Not least because the Tories will make it a key issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    MTimT said:

... David Cameron ... has destroyed one party, neutralised the threat from another and driven a third mad.

Cameron is lucky that he has an awesome strategist like George Osborne as his right hand man.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

That is largely a let's wait and see poll. If Cameron gets a deal the lead would shoot up.
    I can't imagine that the succession of polls showing it to be close will upset Cameron as he concludes his negotiations. It would certainly help him if those on the other side of the table thought that a Leave vote might actually be plausible.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

You clearly struggling on debt vs deficit. Nobody is advocating paying off the mortgage immediately, not paying it off ever. not even Osbornes fantasy figures suggest we start making any repayments off the capital for another 4 years. But you know all of this already.
    If running a deficit is so evil, why did Thatcher run one for 9 of her 11 years in office?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

Journalist who suggested #Cologne attacks were staged by German right-wingers retreats to her safe space. https://t.co/HJacl7flqv

That would be Stage 1: The strange compulsion to assure us that the criminals are “right wing conservative extremists”.

• Options
    MTimT said:

"He's just not that good at politics."

For my money, the fact that William Hague told his wife that he'd "just destroyed the Liberal Party" after the coalition agreement was brokered tells us a lot about the strategic intelligence at the top of the party.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The state needs to butt out of Britain’s drinking habits — Simon Jenkins"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/08/state-drinking-habits-uk-guidelines-alcohol-health
  • Options
    Court News UK
    Two British Muslim extremists who were arrested in Hungary the day after the Paris terror attacks are both jailed for two years
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

It's so funny - and he thinks he's some sort of moderate. Presumably he wants it paid for by more taxes on middle England and more borrowing from countries largely poorer than us.
    back to wikipedia with the pair of you. get yr economics 101 sorted.

just because the saintly Margaret made some odd remarks about household budgets, you poor loves get all confused. even the floating voters among you :)

(did you float away from John Major, or was it the Tone that floated yr boat?)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sandpit said:

The best satire and parody is that which has enough truth behind it to be plausible.

Whoever first made the comparison was spot on.
    I think it was this chap.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Taylor_/status/684538421126234112
  • Options

Unfortunately, Labour history tells us it is a decisive issue. Certainly a 2020 manifesto commitment to cancel the renewal will dominate the election campaign IMHO. Not least because the Tories will make it a key issue.
    And anyone who seriously believes that Corbyn thought he could win arguments that he has lost consistently over his entire political career is deluding themselves.

The fact that Corbyn has allowed the rise of Momentum and their bully-boy tactics tells you all you need to know about his approach to winning arguments.

All the posturing about the size of his mandate is about suppressing debate -not encouraging it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited January 2016
    AndyJS said:

That's an effing awful poll for Remain. London should be their strongest area in England.
    The latest posted EU figures on the yougov site I can see, posted on Jan 6th, have Remain 55% Leave 45% in London once don't knows are excluded and 51% Remain 49% Leave UK wide
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

But what can Len actually do, without being branded a 'Tory' by the Three Quidders?
  • Options
    And your children don't pay your mortgage or credit card bills.
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    LucyJones said:

That would be Stage 1: The strange compulsion to assure us that the criminals are “right wing conservative extremists”.

the strange thing is the unspoken assumption that if you ban foreigners crime will stop, or that we should ban foreigners because some of them committed crimes
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

If running a deficit is so evil, why did Thatcher run one for 9 of her 11 years in office?
    Running a deficit isn't evil. Running a deficit of 33% year on year is though.

To give your household analogy, Brown's government in 2008 was earning £30k a year but spending £40k a year. And the extra £10k was being spent on sports cars, holidays and champagne - not on heating, clothing and feeding the family.
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

Of course Cameron will "get a deal", the big question is what kind of a deal.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

But what can Len actually do, without being branded a 'Tory' by the Three Quidders?
    Do the 'Three Quidders' have to pay up again to retain their 'membership' at the end of a 12 month period? (Serious question, I have no idea as to how it all operates)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Given the detailed level of quotes he gives for meetings between Benn, Corbyn, Watson, Milne and, presumably, not that many other people, surely he either is making up quotes or else the pool of people who would be able to give him the account could be counted on one hand even with several fingers missing? Even in a leaking culture, such obviously sourced briefings would be a bit much, surely?
This discussion has been closed.