Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The other divide in EURef polling: the more positive it loo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The other divide in EURef polling: the more positive it looks for BREXIT if actual words not used

Since August PB has been featuring a regular table on the state of voting intentions for the referendum. For the sake of consistency the only polls that are included are those where the actual wording on the ballot, as above, is used.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Interesting
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Perhaps it would be fair to change "Remain" to "Further In", which is what it will mean in practice.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996

Perhaps it would be fair to change "Remain" to "Further In", which is what it will mean in practice.

Agreed.
  • Options

What does fair have to do with anything ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    After weeks of campaigning, I refuse to believe that being confronted with this wording in the voting booth is going to make a gnat's fart of a difference....
  • Options
    ' Geoffrey Boycott adds: "You can't let him and Duminy get through their 10 overs for a reasonable amount of runs." '

World Cup Final 1979

G Boycott 57 105 balls

Richards 10 0 35 0
    King 3 0 13 0

• Options
    Leicester this season reminds me very much of Forest 77-78, when week in, week out, Bob Wilson would say THIS week is when Forest's bubble will burst.. . Which of course, it never did. Similar team of not exactly title winning players with an inspirational manager making them much better than the sum of their parts.

Galling to see another East Midlands team doing so well, but on the bright side, it isn't Derby ;-)
  • Options
    France have a game on their hands....
  • Options
    What we need is another article on why Remain will win.
    Anyone remember how those 2010 Lib Dems were going to put Labour into Number 10?
    Innocent face.

Reality is we will be watching hundreds of thousands of migrants on our screens going into the June referendum.
  • Options

After weeks of campaigning, I refuse to believe that being confronted with this wording in the voting booth is going to make a gnat's fart of a difference....

Fully agreed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    I agree with the article. Looking at the form, it's clear that 'Cease to be a member of the European Union' should be the second option. Don't know if it would have been any fairer.
  • Options

I think I agree with this. If the wording were wildly but subtly biased, that would be one thing. Minor changes? I think people who are so on the fence that the specific form of words could change their mind will stay at home. People who turn up to vote will have made their mind up based on other factors long before they think about the specific question in front of them. It's "in" or "out".

I agree too with the "further in" point. If the question were "Should the UK continue to participate in Europe's process of ever closer union, or cease to do so", you might get a very different result.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Only this site would get why this fellows name is worth mentioning...

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/thomas-teye-partey/250434/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Surely Leicester city are title contenders now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Two thirds of the season down, six point lead...you'd think they have an outside shot at it.

The likes of Barca playing at the King Power looks nailed on.
  • Options
    Tin foil time: the psychologists in HMG's "nudge unit" would surely have known about this effect. Did they advise on it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

From the post match press conference

Q: The bookies make you favourites ...
    Ranieri: 'I don't believe bookmakers. They said at the beginning Ranieri was favourite to be sacked!'
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Do any PBers know if I can continue to place bets with online bookmakers whilst in the USA? Or will the IP address cause problems for me?
  • Options

Anyone remember how those 2010 Lib Dems were going to put Labour into Number 10?
    Innocent face.

Don't forget that tim told us you could take half of the 2010 LibDem vote and add it to the 2010 Lab vote to get the 2015 Lab vote in marginal constituencies.

I wonder how much money he backed that equation up with.

• Options
    But is it not the case that all the polls OGH has been using in his summary have been with the actual wording?

As such although this is interesting (and I honestly defy anyone to claim this was known before the wording was chosen bearing in mind HMG was forced to change the wording) it doesn't seem to have much bearing on our analysis of the current polling.

What wording did Yougov use in their poll that showed the 9 point Leave
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Do any PBers know if I can continue to place bets with online bookmakers whilst in the USA? Or will the IP address cause problems for me?

Some of the sites are blocked via mobile sites and wifi, you can access them via the apps on your phone.

However gambling in America like that is a crime, I believe.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    SPIN selling Italy at 12 really was generous....
  • Options
    Italy lead the French by 8
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Well quite.

Innocent face.

Reality is we will be watching hundreds of thousands of migrants on our screens going into the June referendum.

• Options
    For the competitive PBers

Countries With The Most Venomous Animals - https://t.co/BarLlf5g2J https://t.co/kfGfYmgIWa
  • Options
    In fact checking, the wording we have now was not the first choice of the Government nor was it chosen by the Government.

The wording was part of the statutory advice given to the Government by the Electoral Commission

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-referendums/electoral-commission-recommends-change-to-eu-referendum-question
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Innocent face.

Don't forget that tim told us you could take half of the 2010 LibDem vote and add it to the 2010 Lab vote to get the 2015 Lab vote in marginal constituencies.

I hope he bet the ranch.
  • Options

But is it not the case that all the polls OGH has been using in his summary have been with the actual wording?

As such although this is interesting (and I honestly defy anyone to claim this was known before the wording was chosen bearing in mind HMG was forced to change the wording) it doesn't seem to have much bearing on our analysis of the current polling.

What wording did Yougov use in their poll that showed the 9 point Leave

Yougov use the actual wording.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Innocent face.

I hope he bet the ranch.
    Don't you mean the 17th century mansion with wings ?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Sean F...Tim had an estate..A country Estate..
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I had to use a VPN (I have to do that in Hungary too). TSE uses a Three deal, I believe, but I'm not on Three.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Stunning finish to the cricket. Buttler is surely the best ODI batsman in the world at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

MP_SE said:

I had to use a VPN (I have to do that in Hungary too). TSE uses a Three deal, I believe, but I'm not on Three.
    Three and o2 seem to work on betting sites in America.

o2 is my main network, three is for when I go overseas.

I used to rack up phone bills of £600 a time when I used to go abroad, but with three it is costs nowt.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    DavidL said:

Stunning finish to the cricket. Buttler is surely the best ODI batsman in the world at the moment.

Ricky Ponting thinks Buttler is a backup batsman for the IPL.

What a muppet.
  • Options

Countries With The Most Venomous Animals - https://t.co/BarLlf5g2J https://t.co/kfGfYmgIWa

It would be quite good fun working out who is after Australia. Brazil?
  • Options
    I don't believe Cameron could have remotely imagined Merkel would open Germany's borders (and by extension, those of the EU's - and by extension, 5 years down the line, those of the UK) ahead of a 2016/17 EU referendum. Without that, it was a comfortable 60:40 win, even if Cameron got the square root of naff all in the "renegotiation" (well at least that part of the plan has come about!).

But quite literally millions of migrants gate-crashing the EU is just the very worst thing that could have come Remain's way. Short of an EU-wide military operation to detain and return, this is going to be the primary matter in voters' minds. Without secure borders, any level of economic growth is going to be sucked into providing an unending requirement for health/education/housing/policing.

That ISIS is smuggling its fighters within that mass is just the worst possible adjunct to Merkel's madness. The arrogance to just expect the EU to go along with her actions is going to be a huge boost for Leave, even if that campaign is fronted by total fuckwits. This time the message is all, not the messenger.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ricky Ponting thinks Buttler is a backup batsman for the IPL.

What a muppet.
    That is incredible. I really like the way England move him up and down the order according to circumstances too. They need a more deadly bowler but with the bat in their hands this is really quite a side.
  • Options

I don't believe Cameron could have remotely imagined Merkel would open Germany's borders (and by extension, those of the EU's - and by extension, 5 years down the line, those of the UK) ahead of a 2016/17 EU referendum. Without that, it was a comfortable 60:40 win, even if Cameron got the square root of naff all in the "renegotiation" (well at least that part of the plan has come about!).

But quite literally millions of migrants gate-crashing the EU is just the very worst thing that could have come Remain's way. Short of an EU-wide military operation to detain and return, this is going to be the primary matter in voters' minds. Without secure borders, any level of economic growth is going to be sucked into providing an unending requirement for health/education/housing/policing.

That ISIS is smuggling its fighters within that mass is just the worst possible adjunct to Merkel's madness. The arrogance to just expect the EU to go along with her actions is going to be a huge boost for Leave, even if that campaign is fronted by total fuckwits. This time the message is all, not the messenger.

There will be all sorts of other smuggling going on as well.
  • Options

In the US, Texas has the most poisonous critters. Such as Ted Cruz?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Cameroons on here seem to think LEAVE shouldn't mention immigration... its the effect on the City of London that'll win the public over #shrewdies
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    LOL.

But how long to Man U's next title? Next year with Mourihno?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

MP_SE said:

With the main bookies you should be able to phone through bets.

I think betfair exchange has a minimum bet size though (min £50 stake/liability IIRC)
  • Options
  • Options

There will be all sorts of other smuggling going on as well.
    Indeed.

Merkel effectively opened the door to any criminal, layabout or general lowlife from the Atlantic to the Arabian Sea.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    isam said:

Cameroons on here seem to think LEAVE shouldn't mention immigration... its the effect on the City of London that'll win the public over #shrewdies
    A purely immigration led campaign would end up with 65% Remain/35% leave.

Leave cannot win with immigration alone.
  • Options
    Merkel's madness and Corbyn's election were just two things which wouldn't have been predicted a year ago.

Today the Telegraph goes into Huntsman mode:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12138466/when-is-the-next-financial-crash-coming-oil-prices-markets-recession.html

And yet its the standard policy of governments to assume nice, steady economic growth progressing endlessly into the far future.

What happens if it doesn't ?

• Options
    6 minutes to go, Italy lead by 1 point....
  • Options
    Just a word of caution if you have big balances on a betting site & you think about using a vpn etc. With increasing worldwide gambling regs & obviously us strict rules sites are being legally forced to take a lot stronger stance on actual location of customers & can freeze even seize money.

I had this when my vpn redirected via another couple the country even though I was in the UK & my account was frozen until I provided loads of proof.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

Real control of immigration requires the UK to be out of the EEA as well as the EU. I would find that much, much harder to vote for.
  • Options
    4 minutes to go, France by 2....
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2016
    FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes
    The new Dell laptop ranges are outstanding both technically and value for money. i7, 4k displays, M.2 SSD drives, dedicated graphics card, etc etc etc. And a much sleeker modern design, starting I think for about £750.

Just before Christmas, I got a technically superior laptop to anything Apple offers for < £1000.

PfP replied:

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions - I'll have a look see at Dell's offering.

On the retail side of things, it's surprising how things have changed over the past 2-3 years. At one time amazon were all conquering in the computer market, in terms of choice, price and availability - nowadays it's very much more a rag, tag and bobtail selection, including many second hand/reconditioned jobbies ...... not a welcoming experience at all.

PC World - Currys on the other hand, who appeared dead on their feet a few years ago, are now so much the market leader and are superior to amazon in every regard, including their bright and airy showrooms and very competitive pricing.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

Depends if you make the white folks angry...
  • Options

Merkel's madness and Corbyn's election were just two things which wouldn't have been predicted a year ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12138466/when-is-the-next-financial-crash-coming-oil-prices-markets-recession.html

And yet its the standard policy of governments to assume nice, steady economic growth progressing endlessly into the far future.

Surely assuming a poorer scenario than you think likely can be unhealthy as it saps confidence (e.g. future investment) ?

Alternatively you could have the best case / mid case / worst case scenarios. But imaging realistic worst-case scenarios is hard.

Perhaps economic forecasting is just fiendishly difficult.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Another example of the "poor old Dave, it's all nasty Angela's fault" which is the line the pro-Cameron lobby is now plugging.

Instead of worrying about IS sympathisers embedded within the migrants, why not worry about the radicalisation of British people - remind me how many of the 7/7 bombers were migrants ?

It's also a bit late to worry about the impact of migration on society. Yes, we may all think the Polish plumber is cheap and hard working and we may think the Romanian builder's a nice chap but embedded within that wave of migrants were petty criminals and thieves. People move to where the money and the work is but to assume all those moving simply want to work hard and earn money is naive.

Simply walk down a road like East Ham High Street, look at the drunks outside Lidl, the groups of men hanging round the multitude of betting shops and the Romanian and Polish grocers and the crowd of men outside Wickes looking for cash work every day and you see the other side of migration.

We know they are crammed into houses in a density not seen since the bad old days of the East End slums and we also know criminal gangs operate and you worry about those fleeing Assad's troops in Aleppo. The argument for voting LEAVE is that the EU and successive Governments failed to understand the events of 1989 and instead plundered the ex-Communist countries as sources for cheap property and cheaper labour.

• Options

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes
    The new Dell laptop ranges are outstanding both technically and value for money. i7, 4k displays, M.2 SSD drives, dedicated graphics card, etc etc etc. And a much sleeker modern design, starting I think for about £750.

Just before Christmas, I got a technically superior laptop to anything Apple offers for < £1000.

PfP replied:

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions - I'll have a look see at Dell's offering.

On the retail side of things, it's surprising how things have changed over the past 2-3 years. At one time amazon were all conquering in the computer market, in terms of choice, price and availability - nowadays it's very much more a rag, tag and bobtail selection, including many second hand/reconditioned jobbies ...... not a welcoming experience at all.

PC World - Currys on the other hand, who appeared dead on their feet a few years ago, are now so much the market leader and are superior to amazon in every regard, including their bright and airy showrooms and very competitive pricing.

Amazon aren't even the cheapest these days. Number of legit online pc component retailers are undercutting them on price these days.
  • Options
    Cracking end to the France v Italy game, all hinged on a 80+ minute drop goal attempt....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

Real control of immigration requires the UK to be out of the EEA as well as the EU. I would find that much, much harder to vote for.
    It also requires cross-party consensus in the UK that immigration should be more tightly controlled.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Another example of the "poor old Dave, it's all nasty Angela's fault" which is the line the pro-Cameron lobby is now plugging.

Cameron could hardly be delighted with what I have posted about him here this week. But sat in Downing Street in May with an unexpected majority, he probably wasn't too troubled with what he needed to achieve in his "renegotiation". Merkel made the referendum a much, much more difficult prospect for him. To deny that is just bizarre.
  • Options

Surely assuming a poorer scenario than you think likely can be unhealthy as it saps confidence (e.g. future investment) ?

Alternatively you could have the best case / mid case / worst case scenarios. But imaging realistic worst-case scenarios is hard.

Certainly but I think the answer is to have something in reserve in case things don't go as well as you expect.

Unfortunately governments would rather spend that reserve to buy votes when required.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

The problem with PCWorld is they use high pressure sales techniques to get customers to sign up to warranties, knowhow, cloud, av etc.

You go on to spend £350 and come out with £500 of rubbish. They might have made a couple of quid on the laptop, but a 400% mark up on warranty services.

It's easy enough for me to say no, but the average uninformed members of the public get sucked in.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Where's the banhammer?

It can't be too far away.

Well. closer than Liverpool's next title anyway...
  • Options
    notme said:

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

The problem with PCWorld is they use high pressure sales techniques to get customers to sign up to warranties, knowhow, cloud, av etc.

You go on to spend £350 and come out with £500 of rubbish. They might have made a couple of quid on the laptop, but a 400% mark up on warranty services.

It's easy enough for me to say no, but the average uninformed members of the public get sucked in.
    And their sales staff have the intelligence and knowledge of squirrel dung.
  • Options
    stodge said:

We know they are crammed into houses in a density not seen since the bad old days of the East End slums and we also know criminal gangs operate and you worry about those fleeing Assad's troops in Aleppo.
    Out of interest do you have an opinion on all those crappy little 'EuroMart' shops which have appeared in the last decade at intervals of 200 yards in inner suburbia.

As there's always plenty of Eastern Europeans shopping in proper supermarkets how do these 'EuroMart' places get enough custom to survive ? Everyone I know assumes they're fronts for more nefarious activities - open all day with a cash turnover being useful for that sort of thing I expect.

• Options
    notme said:

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

I love having fun at their expense why they try that on. I got one so confused a couple of years ago he managed to screw himself into selling me a top of the line router for the price of a cheap one....
  • Options

stodge said:

We know they are crammed into houses in a density not seen since the bad old days of the East End slums and we also know criminal gangs operate and you worry about those fleeing Assad's troops in Aleppo.
    Out of interest do you have an opinion on all those crappy little 'EuroMart' shops which have appeared in the last decade at intervals of 200 yards in inner suburbia.

As there's always plenty of Eastern Europeans shopping in proper supermarkets how do these 'EuroMart' places get enough custom to survive ? Everyone I know assumes they're fronts for more nefarious activities - open all day with a cash turnover being useful for that sort of thing I expect.

Duty free fags is a nice little earner with little to worry about in way of serious punishment.
  • Options

stodge said:

We go to a couple on Mill Road in Cambridge to purchase some lovely fatty Feta and olives (mainly) - you can get far better ones and cheaper than you can in the 'normal' supermarkets. They're generally fairly busy if you want specialist items.

Whilst there might be some money laundering going on, I think there are other factors that help them run: e.g. cheap family labour.
  • Options
    notme said:

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

I always ask - why they are trying to sell me something so crap they think it needs a warranty? They usually give up at that point....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016

notme said:

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

I always ask - why they are trying to sell me something so crap they think it needs a warranty? They usually give up at that point....
    Also, the thing with purely electronic items the stats show that the vast majority of items that fail / go faulty will occur immediately...and then after that failure is.most likely way way down the line when the item is basically obsolete.

If there are no moving parts it is either a manufacturing defects or there is very little to fail under the course of normal usage. Even things like ssd drives that do have a limited lifespan, they have to be used under such heavy load daily in order to reach likely failure point within a reasonable lifespan that you basically have to be running a mini data centre off them.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

stodge said:

Cameron could hardly be delighted with what I have posted about him here this week. But sat in Downing Street in May with an unexpected majority, he probably wasn't too troubled with what he needed to achieve in his "renegotiation". Merkel made the referendum a much, much more difficult prospect for him. To deny that is just bizarre.
    To be fair, Cameron put himself in this situation with committing to a Referendum in the first place. I assume he had worked something out before the GE in terms of what he wanted and probably thought he would be pushing at an open door in terms of some of the reforms.

It might also be worth mentioning that the failure of European policy in Libya and Syria has played a not inconsiderable role in all this. Yes, Cameron has been "unlucky" but he's enjoyed his fair share of good fortune over the years.

• Options

Certainly but I think the answer is to have something in reserve in case things don't go as well as you expect.

Unfortunately governments would rather spend that reserve to buy votes when required.
    I agree.

You might like the system I've proposed passim then: as we do with defence and International Development, the government allocates a percentage of GDP to all departments. Say 6% education, 10% health etc. You can also allocate a few percent for contingency or 'other' : e.g. paying down the debt.

As each year's economic figures come in, the departmental budgets are set according to the previous year's GDP figures. If the economy contracts, so do all the departmental budgets by the same proportion. A government can then decide to use the contingency (or even borrow) to protect services - but it has to be a concious and public decision to do so.

It'd help departments properly plan without as much political interference in budgets, reduce political control, and place more onus on departments to budget responsibly - handouts, whilst possible, would be very visible. It would also give the public something real aconomically to vote on at elections: "I prefer Labour as they've pledged 12% to NHS," or "I prefer the Conservatives as they've pledged 3% to defence," etc, etc.

As it removes some control from politicians, it'll never happen ...
  • Options

notme said:

FPT

FrancisUrquhart said:
    » show previous quotes

PfP replied:

Also, the thing with purely electronic items the stats show that the vast majority of items that fail / go faulty will occur immediately...and then after that failure is.most likely way way down the line when the item is basically obsolete.
    It's called the bathtub curve:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2016
    The return of an old favourite...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHRYdL8Lw3L6OXiHnKZHi1vo6vUblQhuKg7FPDFuuQ0/edit?usp=sharing

GOP nomination spreadsheet, as the race develops, with every primary/caucus electoral system modelled. In 2012 this sheet showed clearly that Romney was virtually unstoppable.

Only edit the Custom sheet (others should be protected) with your polling data or guesses...
    The visual is on the Customgraph page.

The Auto sheet now automatically updates with polls from the Huffpost (median of the past week). Not every state has been polled yet, and some which have are from very old polls, so don't look too far ahead, but this is definitely the sheet to watch. Also has a chart on the Autograph page.

Showing Carson currently as the 4th candidate, although this may change.

Have a play, and ask away... Bugfinders welcome
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHRYdL8Lw3L6OXiHnKZHi1vo6vUblQhuKg7FPDFuuQ0/edit?usp=sharing

GOP nomination spreadsheet, as the race develops, with every primary/caucus electoral system modelled. In 2012 this sheet showed clearly that Romney was virtually unstoppable.

Only edit the Custom sheet (others should be protected) with your polling data or guesses...

The Auto sheet now automatically updates with polls from the Huffpost (median of the past week). Not every state has been polled yet, and some which have are from very old polls, so don't look too far ahead, but this is definitely the sheet to watch. Also has a chart on the Autograph page.

Thanks for that: potentially a great resource.
  • Options
    Dan Hannan isn't one of them but it's depressing how many Tories seem able to be bought.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Dan Hannan isn't one of them but it's depressing how many Tories seem able to be bought.
    Bought? Perhaps just convinced in good faith!

It is noticeable that when sceptics come into government and thereby more direct contact with the EU that they begin to be more positive about the benefits of it. It seems to be the case both for Labour and Tories.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    stodge said:

stodge said:

To be fair, Cameron put himself in this situation with committing to a Referendum in the first place. I assume he had worked something out before the GE in terms of what he wanted and probably thought he would be pushing at an open door in terms of some of the reforms.

It might also be worth mentioning that the failure of European policy in Libya and Syria has played a not inconsiderable role in all this. Yes, Cameron has been "unlucky" but he's enjoyed his fair share of good fortune over the years.

While Merkel's intervention was certainly unhelpful she didn't create the migration crisis. It already existed. There was already Calais, there was already a flood of people crossing (or dying trying to cross) the Mediterranean. And the problem was always going to get worse with each passing year. So I wouldn't say Dave has been that unlucky with it. And he hasn't lost yet either.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    OT I've just been watching an old Guns and Roses docu. Does anyone know why Axl wears a kilt? I find Slash just embarrassing Alice Cooper copycat in a top hat.

I'm not a fan of them bar liking the odd track
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

While Merkel's intervention was certainly unhelpful she didn't create the migration crisis. It already existed. There was already Calais, there was already a flood of people crossing (or dying trying to cross) the Mediterranean. And the problem was always going to get worse with each passing year. So I wouldn't say Dave has been that unlucky with it. And he hasn't lost yet either.
    Arguably she has created Migration Crisis 2.0. If the EU had got behind Cameron's position, of big aid in region, taking only the most desperate health cases into the EU for treatment, then it would have been far easier to justify removal for those who broke into the EU.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Thanks Rod.

Do you take a view on the current GOP odds?
  • Options
    Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Thanks Rod.

Not really! Except perhaps on the individual primaries, which with the sheet(s) should assist.

It's just to early to think about November. We'll have a better idea in June.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Wanderer said:

And their sales staff have the intelligence and knowledge of squirrel dung.

Yes, not their fault, presumably - the shop doesn't find it pays to recruit highly-knowledgeable staff, so they get people who I assume would otherwise be in Tesco etc. I remember asking for a particular relatively hi-spec system on their website that the branch didn't have in stock - the assistant didn't do something like say "Let me see how quickly we can order it for you", but just defaulted to "Wouldn't you like to see our new notebook on special offer?" I suggested going to their computer and checking out the order options, and she did, but it was clearly a new and scary adventure for her. I felt I ought to be getting a commission for staff training.
  • Options

So much so that when people get it right you wonder if it down to luck.
    From previous thread I think you are right about importance of democracy for developing countries
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Thank you FrancisUrquhart, Pong, Mr Meeks and TSE for the helpful suggestions. The VPN suggestion is interesting and will look into it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    For serious laptop purchase, I do recommend http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/ which I think others here recommended to me (thanks!). Their staff ARE expert and they advise right down to hings like partitioning. I bought my gaming laptop from them and have been 100% satisfied.
  • Options

Bought? Perhaps just convinced in good faith!

It is noticeable that when sceptics come into government and thereby more direct contact with the EU that they begin to be more positive about the benefits of it. It seems to be the case both for Labour and Tories.
    It's noticeable that when people start to enjoy the fruits of office, they become more keen on the system that provides them.
  • Options
    Putting some number's into Rod's spreadsheet confirms my suspicion that Cruz will need to break Rubio on Super Tuesday and make sure this is a Cruz/Trump race. Rubio, assuming Cruz doesn't break him, could take Trump down as late as Florida.
  • Options

For serious laptop purchase, I do recommend http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/ which I think others here recommended to me (thanks!). Their staff ARE expert and they advise right down to hings like partitioning. I bought my gaming laptop from them and have been 100% satisfied.

Very good company. I've had three PCs from them which have all been excellent. And their staff are great.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Putting some number's into Rod's spreadsheet confirms my suspicion that Cruz will need to break Rubio on Super Tuesday and make sure this is a Cruz/Trump race. Rubio, assuming Cruz doesn't break him, could take Trump down as late as Florida.

Cruz can only win if it continues as a three horse race after ST.

He needs both trump & rubio to stay in the game.
  • Options
    I'd a crap experience - I specced a PC and ended up with a fan that sounded like a hair dryer on full time.

Never buy from them again
    Wanderer said:

Very good company. I've had three PCs from them which have all been excellent. And their staff are great.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Cruz needs trump to stay in the game.
    I think anyone can 'win' if no-one can win, via a brokered convention.

Therefore the incentive remains to stay in as long as possible, making it something of a self-fulfilling prophesy...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

Therefore the incentive remains to stay in as long as possible, making it something of a self-fulfilling prophesy...
    Can Cruz win a brokered convention? Don't vast numbers of the establishment Republics hate working (or not as the case maybe) him?
  • Options

Wanderer said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Arguably she has created Migration Crisis 2.0. If the EU had got behind Cameron's position, of big aid in region, taking only the most desperate health cases into the EU for treatment, then it would have been far easier to justify removal for those who broke into the EU.
    It's a striking irony that if Remain loses because of Migration Crisis 2.0 then Cameron will have been floored by a crisis in relation to which his own policy is considered good by the people who will have voted against him.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Pong said:

Can Cruz win a brokered convention? Don't vast numbers of the establishment Republics hate working (or not as the case maybe) him?
    Maybe not, but he could be kingmaker, and that's often worth having...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2016

I'd a crap experience - I specced a PC and ended up with a fan that sounded like a hair dryer on full time.

Never buy from them again

Wanderer said:

The only company I would recommend is Scan and their 3xs sytems. Superb build quality.

For Desktops, don't know about their laptops.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    It's noticeable that when people start to enjoy the fruits of office, they become more keen on the system that provides them.

quite a lot of the scepticism would have been fake and for the convenience of local associations etc. Note Blair's support for EU withdrawal in 1983 - does anyone really think that was sincere?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

It's a striking irony that if Remain loses because of Migration Crisis 2.0 then Cameron will have been floored by a crisis in relation to which his own policy is considered good by the people who will have voted against him.

But that will sum up the very essence of our problems with the EU.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Thanks Rod.

Many thanks Rod. Excellent tool. I may be being stupid but what do the pink and blue colours in date represent - the winner of the state in 2012?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Pong said:

RodCrosby said:

Thanks Rod.

Many thanks Rod. Excellent tool. I may be being stupid but what do the pink and blue colours in date represent - the winner of the state in 2012?
    No. Just to make it easy to see which states ballots' are clustered - e.g. Super Tuesday...

Admittedly, those colours might be confusing. I might change them.
This discussion has been closed.