Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris backs Brexit but will it have an impact if he’s not g

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris backs Brexit but will it have an impact if he’s not going to be that active?

Tories' leading intellectual force (Gove) and its most popular star (Boris) have decided against PM's deal – concludes @faisalislam #skynews

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    The prospect of debating Cameron can't be that appealing to any Cabinet minister.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    edited February 2016
    2nd like Remain or Leave!!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Boris has to ensure he does just enough to keep Out MPs happy to get their votes in 2019.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Awkward balancing act - but I'm sure he'll manage it.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Spit

Montie
    Tories' leading intellectual force (Gove) and its most popular star (Boris) have decided against PM's deal - concludes @faisalislam #skynews
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    RobD said:

The prospect of debating Cameron can't be that appealing to any Cabinet minister.

I'd be willing to debate Cameron, but I suppose it would be awkward for a minister.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    MikeL said:

Boris has to ensure he does just enough to keep Out MPs happy to get their votes in 2019.

Unless he decides he wants to be Prime Minister in 2016...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited February 2016
    Apologies for the lack of analysis by me on this thread header. I've got a busy few hours ahead and had been expecting Boris to announce his decision at 10pm and had planned accordingly.

Boris, you git.
  • Options
    Boris is so opposed to the deal Dave got he won't debate with anyone who thinks it was a good one. That's how passionately Boris feels about this.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Brexit back on target.

After we leave, the EU will either become the United States of Europe, or will fall apart.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    A very popular politician that can mobilize support across party lines joins Leave but it won't work because he's not going to appear in every debate !
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Apologies for the lack of analysis by me on this thread header. I've got a busy few hours ahead and had been expecting Boris to announce his decision at 10pm and had planned accordingly.

Boris, you git.

It's all good. Keep looking after them eyes ;).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Good God
  • Options
    It's my book talking, but I'm very pleased Boris is arguing on sovereignty and control.

The same solid grounds as Gove and many of his Justice team.

We may lose, but we'll go down swinging.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

MikeL said:

Unless he decides he wants to be Prime Minister in 2016...
    Problem is that that's higher risk - he won't want to attack Cameron and appear disloyal only then for Remain to win easily and then Boris would be damaged.

Going this way pretty much seals victory for him WHATEVER happens.

If Leave wins - he's in straight away anyway.

If Remain wins - he has signalled strongly he is an EU sceptic - that must surely get him a large proportion of Out MPs votes in 2019 - which will easily be enough to make the Final 2 - where he will be almost certain to win with the members as he'll tick both of the boxes which matter - ie popular and EU sceptic.

Well done Boris.
  • Options
    No, he's not playing in media slanging matches that will ultimately hurt his own side.

I'm all for that which ever team is involved.

Boris is so opposed to the deal Dave got he won't debate with anyone who thinks it was a good one. That's how passionately Boris feels about this.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Pfft you are just bitter because Leave are back in the game after having a good gloat yesterday.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Off topic. Am in Heathrow en route Nairobi

THE ICE TWINS is still in the w h smith top 40. 13 months after it came out. That's quite something.

Admit it, you just put it there.. :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cameron has already refused to debate on tv. Lol. Lot of wishful thinking from angsty REMAINIANS here
    So why not expose the fact by challenging him?
  • Options

Spit

Montie
    Tories' leading intellectual force (Gove) and its most popular star (Boris) have decided against PM's deal - concludes @faisalislam #skynews

Yes. These twoare major coups for Leave as they target two weak spots. Perceived lack of intellectual heft and manistream appeal. Shame they didn't get May for authority.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If Remain wins - he has signalled strongly he is an EU sceptic - that must surely get him a large proportion of Out MPs votes in 2019 - which will easily be enough to make the Final 2 - where he will be almost certain to win with the members as he'll tick both of the boxes which matter - ie popular and EU sceptic.

He will be in the final two, and isn't George Osborne, that will be enough.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

THE ICE TWINS is still in the w h smith top 40. 13 months after it came out. That's quite something.

My condolences. Nairobi is awful.

Though the Stanley is very nice.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Cameron has refused to debate.
    Why is Cameron not debating??
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Spit

Montie

I thought that was a neat way of putting it.

One of the people who I think has really lost out over the weekend is Sajid Javed. He made noises about being in the out campaign, and when the chips were down he chickened out of it. I bet there's one or two in the remain campaign in the cabinet that are regretting their positions now!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Because he is not a details man, and he saw the result of trying to broad brush things when Farage and Clegg faced off before the GE.

And because he is being (charitably) extremely economical with the actualite, and will get seriously exposed by someone who is up on the facts.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Nice one Boris
  • Options
    Mr. Hunchman, but are positions set in stone now?

Mr. Die, a debate would get the media going all giggly about it for a week before and a week after. Plus, Remain (generally) is in the lead. A debate would be giving a crystal clear opportunity for Leave to strike back in a way that voters would watch and the media would report in extreme depth.
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver

'Boris is so opposed to the deal Dave got he won't debate with anyone who thinks it was a good one. That's how passionately Boris feels about this.'

Get real,we've been hearing for weeks the major problem for Leave is that it wouldn't have a top well known politician in their group.
  • Options
    May is a disappointing miss. I'd have voted for her as leader otherwise.

Spit

Montie

Yes. These twoare major coups for Leave as they target two weak spots. Perceived lack of intellectual heft and manistream appeal. Shame they didn't get May for authority.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MikeL said:

He will be in the final two, and isn't George Osborne, that will be enough.

Osborne will be damaged good well before the leadership contest. And Boris' move only rules him out even further IMO. Boris has played an absolute blinder today both for the leadership, and working with the grain of history as well as showing himself prepared to put his head above the chopping block when it really counts - all in all a masterly move.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Boris - Remain's nightmare.

This is how cool Boris is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzk27itihRI
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Pfft you are just bitter because Leave are back in the game after having a good gloat yesterday.

I am in the happy position of being a bystander with no skin in the game. But the fact is that Boris has said he will not debate his deeply principled opposition to Dave's deal with any Tory who supports it. Has any other Leaver made such a commitment?

• Options
    Boris now clear favourite for Con leader.

Boris 3.25/3.95
    Osborne 4.3/5
    Gove 9.8/15
    May 10/12

Wide gaps between Buy and Lay but even so overall picture clear.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Because he's not the leader of the BSE campaign, I presume?
  • Options

Mr. Hunchman, but are positions set in stone now?

Mr. Die, a debate would get the media going all giggly about it for a week before and a week after. Plus, Remain (generally) is in the lead. A debate would be giving a crystal clear opportunity for Leave to strike back in a way that voters would watch and the media would report in extreme depth.

Anyone changing their mind in the cabinet now?! I'd be able to hear the derision from here!
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

'Boris is so opposed to the deal Dave got he won't debate with anyone who thinks it was a good one. That's how passionately Boris feels about this.'

Get real,we've been hearing for weeks the major problem for Leave is that it wouldn't have a top well known politician in their group.

Leave needs an advocate. Boris has ruled himself out of being that.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,823
    Evening all :)

Well, no surprise from Boris. This ludicrous obfuscation he won't debate against Conservatives backing REMAIN nor will he share a platform with some on LEAVE is just nonsense.

Does that mean he'll share a platform with Kate Hoey and debate with Tim Farron ? Absurd.

There will be a final showdown debate between Cameron and Johnson - this is where it's heading and it will be as much about the succession for the Conservative Party leadership as about the EU.

Boris is right - there has been no fundamental re-negotiation just a light tinkering.

The astonishing thing is that as with Iraq for Labour and tuition fees for the Liberal Democrats, this is an entirely self-inflicted wound by the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Me too. Those without guts must be wondering what they've done

I've little time for the gutless myself. Risk taking involves standing up and being counted. I'd never shrink from it in my worklife.
    hunchman said:

Spit

Montie

I thought that was a neat way of putting it.

One of the people who I think has really lost out over the weekend is Sajid Javed. He made noises about being in the out campaign, and when the chips were down he chickened out of it. I bet there's one or two in the remain campaign in the cabinet that are regretting their positions now!
  • Options

Spit

Montie

Wonder if May is kicking herself.....?
  • Options
    FPT

Alistair Meeks said

"The chief spokesmen and women for Leave look like the extended Addams Family. Of course Remain are going to draw attention to the carnival freakshow aspect of their opponents"

You clearly have an extremely low opinion of the public if you think that is going to be a deciding factor.

In case you missed it we are all freaks. Well except TSE who is some kind of Indo-European god incarnate.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Because he is not a details man, and he saw the result of trying to broad brush things when Farage and Clegg faced off before the GE.

And because he is being (charitably) extremely economical with the actualite, and will get seriously exposed by someone who is up on the facts.

No danger of that with Boris!

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I know. Awful. And I'm in economy. I'm now drinking Sancerre and eating king crab to dull the pain. On the upside when I get there it's all private planes and shit. Off to Laikipia then Masai Mara.
    Have a great time SeanT. This time last year I was at Shira 1 camp on my way up Kilimanjaro on the Lemosho route - fond memories!
  • Options
    Think Osborne just got instructions to take anything even a little bit controversial out of his budget ;)
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'One of the people who I think has really lost out over the weekend is Sajid Javed. He made noises about being in the out campaign, and when the chips were down he chickened out of it'

Not only that, he put up a ridiculously illogical and unconvincing set of reasons why he is backing REMAIN.

Pure cowardly careerism from him I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I'll enjoy the BSE analogies that the press will make when the remain campaign hits the skids all being well. Oh I forgot, it hid the skids in a big way today.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Boris sounded very wooly to me, albeit sincere. It does not convince me he would be a successful minister or PM.
  • Options

Indigo said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

No danger of that with Boris!

No indeed, but Cameron was on the run before Boris was on the scene, he is more concerned about Farage I should think.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Well, no surprise from Boris. This ludicrous obfuscation he won't debate against Conservatives backing REMAIN nor will he share a platform with some on LEAVE is just nonsense.

Does that mean he'll share a platform with Kate Hoey and debate with Tim Farron ? Absurd.

There will be a final showdown debate between Cameron and Johnson - this is where it's heading and it will be as much about the succession for the Conservative Party leadership as about the EU.

Boris is right - there has been no fundamental re-negotiation just a light tinkering.

The astonishing thing is that as with Iraq for Labour and tuition fees for the Liberal Democrats, this is an entirely self-inflicted wound by the Conservatives.

If I were Osborne I'd be inviting Boris to debate on a regular basis.

• Options
    Boris has joined the underdogs team. I think she's fluffed this massively.

Spit

Montie

• Options
    @SouthamObserver

'Leave needs an advocate. Boris has ruled himself out of being that. '

Nope, he's just ruled himself out of appearing in every single debate & appearing with Galloway.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

They do and will have several. This is not a presidential election.

Boris' actions will embolden shy Leavers who were worried about being thought of as UKIPers.
  • Options

Boris has joined the underdogs team. I think she's fluffed this massively.

Spit

Montie

Or perhaps she actually believes in her side, rather than trying to position herself for maximum benefit to herself.
  • Options
    Eric 'Winkle' Brown has died.
    A shame, but still the epitome of a life lived to the absolute maximum.
  • Options

Spit

Montie

Sunday Times reports that 'City leaders breath collective sigh of relief' over the results of Cameron's negotiations. Countries outside the eurozone have had confirmed their right to regulate their financial institutions. Chris Cummings of the trade body City UK quoted as saying the EU is confirmed a multiple currency zone and the importance of this cannot be underestimated. 50 FTSE100 leaders to write an official letter shortly. I suppose Miss Plato you and other Leavers know better than all of that. I salute your indifatigability.
    Gerard Lyons ‎@DrGerardLyons
    "3/ Chief Exec of CityUK praised the deal ... I am on the board of CityUK & thought deal far from what City wanted or needed"
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    stodge said:

Yes, though to be fair this is something most of them have had strong views about for decades, which you can't say of the other two cases.
  • Options
    Remain tightening again after having initially drifted significantly with Boris announcement:

Remain 1.47
    Leave 3.05
  • Options
    Great to see there will be no Bush Mk III in the White House come next January. Now its time to ensure that there won't be a Clinton there too. Assuming the Republican side comes down to Rubio Trump, what's the best guess for how Cruz's voters would transfer to Rubio and Trump - 60:40 in Rubio's favour?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited February 2016
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Nope, he's just ruled himself out of appearing in every single debate & appearing with Galloway.

He will not debate with anyone who supports the deal Dave got. That rather limits his options.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I know. Awful. And I'm in economy. I'm now drinking Sancerre and eating king crab to dull the pain. On the upside when I get there it's all private planes and shit. Off to Laikipia then Masai Mara.
    Hope you have a good set of binoculars. There are wonders to see out there.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Corbyn.

Also, there are now key members of the Cameroon project leading both sides, and Dave is retiring anyway, it doesn't matter who wins, his lieutenants will be taking his project forward.

If Remain wins there will be much slapping of backs and "no hard feelings" talk (this is why Boris is not going against Tories) and Gove and Boris will ease back into senior cabinet positions, when Dave retires Boris will be a shoo-in for PM, and Gove will be his right hand man.

If Leave wins, there will be much slapping of backs and "no hard feelings" talk (this is why Boris is not going against Tories), Dave will probably retire early, Boris will be a shoo-in for PM, and Gove will be his right hand man.
  • Options
    If only we all had Hungarian heated swimming pools, earned 20x the aver salary and voted for greenie parties. And thought rural people should pay extra and farming was unnecessary.

The Venn diagram requires an electron microscope to see the voting group.

FPT

Alistair Meeks said

"The chief spokesmen and women for Leave look like the extended Addams Family. Of course Remain are going to draw attention to the carnival freakshow aspect of their opponents"

You clearly have an extremely low opinion of the public if you think that is going to be a deciding factor.

In case you missed it we are all freaks. Well except TSE who is some kind of Indo-European god incarnate.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    @hunchman

'I'll enjoy the BSE analogies that the press will make when the remain campaign hits the skids all being well. Oh I forgot, it hid the skids in a big way today.'

Boris has pissed big time into Remain's soup and that's before Cameron's trivial concessions get picked to pieces.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    With Boris on Leave side then May would have zero chance of leadership if she was on Leave side as well.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Watching the Tories eat themselves will be the most entertainment the centre left have had since the election. Quite why Boris has chosen to swap a sparkling political future for a one way ticket to Palooka-ville is a mystery. But the fact that he has is close to a certainty. Osborne might be the luckiest politician alive

• Options
    Roger said:

Watching the Tories eat themselves will be the most entertainment the centre left have had since the election. Quite why Boris has chosen to swap a sparkling political future for a one way ticket to Palooka-ville is a mystery. But the fact that he has is close to a certainty. Osborne might be the luckiest politician alive

Completely disagree. Boris has chosen the route most likely to lead him to becoming PM. If Leave wins that will be this year.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Remain continuing to tighten.

Penny starting to drop that the whole thing is a complete charade.

But never mind - we end up still in the EU and with Boris as PM.

I can think of far worse combinations.

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    A remain vote isn't going to make the local conservative associations any less eurosceptic - win or lose Borris has set himself up perfectly for the inevitable leadership contest.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2016
    Boris / remain need more than the well let's vote no then we have another go at getting a new deal or something like that like, haazzah, insert some Latin / Greeks & off to bash out another newspaper column. They need to spell out a concrete plan if we take the big step & not the IDS terrorism nonsense.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Only in your dreams I am afraid, this all looks disgustingly premeditated to assure the succession because the polls looked dicey.
  • Options
    Boris’ decision to not take an active role in the campaign is a little odd given his larger than life personality – he appears to have jumped off the fence, but not wandered too far from it.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Roger said:

I think you underestimate their chances.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Gerard Lyons ‎@DrGerardLyons
    "3/ Chief Exec of CityUK praised the deal ... I am on the board of CityUK & thought deal far from what City wanted or needed"

Gerard is spot on there, which he isn't always
  • Options
    No, he's not debating against his Tory team.

Frankly, I'm not at all interested in macho contests like this. It's all ruler crap.

He'll be advocating the Leave position. To voters. Not with other politicians.

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

He will not debate with anyone who supports the deal Dave got. That rather limits his options.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Boris’ decision to not take an active role in the campaign is a little odd given his larger than life personality – he appears to have jumped off the fence, but not wandered too far from it.

Yep, he is so convinced of the case to Leave that he is not going to do that much to achieve it.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited February 2016

Has Boris said he won't take an "active" role?

I know he's said he wont' share a platform with Farage and The Gorgeous One but that doesn't mean he won't be active.

It could just mean he's planning to take control of LEAVE and boot the freak show (and people like Farage whose aim is probably to ensure we stay in the EU) to the sidelines?
  • Options
    @Plato_Says

'If only we all had Hungarian heated swimming pools, earned 20x the aver salary and voted for greenie parties. And thought rural people should pay extra and farming was unnecessary.'

You missed out the million pound apartment in Shoreditch, a salary not driven down by mass immigration, no kids to run the state school lottery & if the NHS is not great loads of money for private treatment
  • Options

If he starts slapping senior Tories around on TV, they and their supporters and proteges are not going to vote for him in the leadership contest, and might not want to be in his cabinet.

Two bulls are standing at the top of a hill overlooking a pasture.
    One is an old-timer and the other is young.
    In the pasture are dozens of attractive cows, milling about and eating the tender grass beneath their hooves.
    The young bull says to the old bull, "Let's run down the hill and get us a cow!!"
    The old bull calmly looks at the young one and replies, "Let's WALK down the hill and get them all."
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,308
    GIN1138 said:

Has Boris said he won't take an "active" role?

I know he's said he wont' share a platform with Farage and The Gorgeous One but that doesn't mean he won't be active.

It could just mean he's planning to take control of LEAVE and boot the freak show (and people like Farage whose aim is probably to ensure we stay in the EU) to the sidelines?
    Has he actually mentioned Farage explicitly? I think we should clear this up now, because I thought he said Galloway 'and others' which is quite different.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

'If only we all had Hungarian heated swimming pools, earned 20x the aver salary and voted for greenie parties. And thought rural people should pay extra and farming was unnecessary.'

You missed out the million pound apartment in Shoreditch, a salary not driven down by mass immigration, no kids to run the state school lottery & if the NHS is not great loads of money for private treatment

This is what LEAVE looks like.
    No wonder waverers are repulsed even when they think LEAVE might be right.
    Roundheads.
  • Options
    I can't resist

https://youtu.be/PDFiWxz8dqs
    Indigo said:

If he starts slapping senior Tories around on TV, they and their supporters and proteges are not going to vote for him in the leadership contest, and might not want to be in his cabinet.

Two bulls are standing at the top of a hill overlooking a pasture.
    One is an old-timer and the other is young.
    In the pasture are dozens of attractive cows, milling about and eating the tender grass beneath their hooves.
    The young bull says to the old bull, "Let's run down the hill and get us a cow!!"
    The old bull calmly looks at the young one and replies, "Let's WALK down the hill and get them all."
  • Options
    EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    Oh dear me, lets get those toys back in the pram.
  • Options
    So the theme of this article at the top is Boris chooses LEAVE and somehow it will not have much impact if he does not appear in a debate....
    FFS how many debates would a Leader of the campaign appear in? 1? 2? at the most as there is no single Leader. Compared to the rest of the cabinet, Boris will shortly have more time to go and campaign than any of them will have.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    Oh dear me, lets get those toys back in the pram.
    It wasn't me who went off on a Trumpian rant about rootless cosmopolitans...
  • Options
    edited February 2016

No, he's not debating against his Tory team.

Frankly, I'm not at all interested in macho contests like this. It's all ruler crap.

He'll be advocating the Leave position. To voters. Not with other politicians.

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

As I said, he's not debating with anyone who backs Dave's deal. He'll support Leave, but he is not going to fight for it. We'll get the odd speech, some funny photos and some Telegraph pieces. What we won't get are in-depth interviews or debates. It will be all very Boris and will be pretty peripheral to the campaign. But it will serve his purposes.

If I were a convinced Outer I would not want him near the Brexit negotiations. You're very wise not to want him as Tory leader, especially given that the party can choose anyone and still beat Corbyn.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I found Mr Meeks's original comment - clearly directed at Theresa Villiers - was pretty immature. Remain like to portray themselves as being on the moral high ground. They're doing a good job at undermining that position at the moment.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Completely disagree. Boris has chosen the route most likely to lead him to becoming PM. If Leave wins that will be this year.

Clearly the case. Even if REMAIN wins boris has now turbocharged his chances of being on the final ballot, and benefitting from the inevitable emotional fallout following a REMAIN vote.

I begin to think Roger is just stupid. Not merely misinformed, or a bit doddery, but actively thick.

I cannot remember a single issue where Roger has been interestingly right. I can think of many where he has been utterly and laughably wrong.
    I've been sure REMAIN would win... But my one nagging doubt is Rogers confidence that REMAIN will win.

Could Roger "this banking crisis will all be over by the Monday" Darmus actually be right about something for once? Really?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Eric 'Winkle' Brown has died.
    A shame, but still the epitome of a life lived to the absolute maximum.

An amazing fellow. Even he couldn't cheat death forever though.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    hunchman said:

Great to see there will be no Bush Mk III in the White House come next January. Now its time to ensure that there won't be a Clinton there too. Assuming the Republican side comes down to Rubio Trump, what's the best guess for how Cruz's voters would transfer to Rubio and Trump - 60:40 in Rubio's favour?

I suspect Cruz's base would tend to slide to Rubio first but I've no absolute evidence.

Rubio's bigger issue is that Trump is fighting him for a decent segment of the GOP vote, your workaday Republicans. There is this idea that Trump somehow isn't getting some very regular, everyday GOP voters but he clearly hasn't invented a completely new batch of people.

Rubio needs to take some of them away.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2016
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Clearly the case. Even if REMAIN wins boris has now turbocharged his chances of being on the final ballot, and benefitting from the inevitable emotional fallout following a REMAIN vote.

I begin to think Roger is just stupid. Not merely misinformed, or a bit doddery, but actively thick.

I cannot remember a single issue where Roger has been interestingly right. I can think of many where he has been utterly and laughably wrong.
    I've been sure REMAIN would win... But my one nagging doubt is Rogers confidence that REMAIN will win.

Could Roger "this banking crisis will all be over by the Monday" Darmus actually be right about something for once? Really?
    Roger the Eddie Izzard of pb, but like Eddie & a stopped clock ie right occasionally albeit for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

FPT

Alistair Meeks said

IIRC we're either "the mob" or "useful idiots".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited February 2016
    hunchman said:

It will not come down to Rubio v Trump, as Rubio will suspend his campaign three weeks on Tuesday when Trump beats him in Florida. Cruz will likely win Texas, Arkansas and a few other states on Super Tuesday which will be enough to set up a straight contest with Trump lasting until the end of April
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Roger is usually very good on the Oscars.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I found Mr Meeks's original comment - clearly directed at Theresa Villiers - was pretty immature. Remain like to portray themselves as being on the moral high ground. They're doing a good job at undermining that position at the moment.
    Neither side has high ground
    REMAIN is explicitly basing its campaign on terrifying people into voting status, which ceded the high ground immediately, like the 2015 Conservative campaign
    OTOH, our LEAVE friends saw something they didn't like and jumped right into anti-establishementTrumpianism
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Alistair Meeks said

IIRC we're either "the mob" or "useful idiots".
    Its an odd argument.

"People should vote Remain because all the out side are freakish idiots. Except for the smart rational ones, who are being duped by the freakish idiots."

Yeah I'm not sure how the idiots are managing to outwit the rational ones either, but there you go.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,308
    edited February 2016
    MikeL said:

Remain continuing to tighten.

Penny starting to drop that the whole thing is a complete charade.

But never mind - we end up still in the EU and with Boris as PM.

I can think of far worse combinations.

I think your analysis is fairly accurate - it's called controlled opposition.

Boris takes over Leave, benefits from the inevitable backlash when Remain wins, life carries on as normal. Prevents UKIP or any other anti-establishment force from gaining a toehold in British politics.

Having said that, the fact it is considered necessary demonstrates genuine progress for the forces of 'Leave'. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing. There is also a risk that Boris is seen to be pulling his punches, a la Cameron in the 2010 election, which the Tory faithful are likely to be quite wary of. I don't think there's any way he can actively harm Leave without it rebounding on him - especially as he's ruled himself out of a big role. Therefore broadly speaking this must be considered as a good endorsement and little more or less.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I think when people quote Boris' favourability rating, they ignore the fact that Boris is not running a department. People outside London have a view of him shaped only by the media.

What does the people of Liverpool think of him ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited February 2016
    The EU referendum now looks likely to be as much Boris Johnson v David Cameron as Leave v Remain. George Osborne is obviously in Boris' sites too. Boris will give Leave a bounce which will cancel out much of the bounce Remain has got following Cameron's deal. However I am sticking to my view it will be 52% to 48% Remain. Also interesting that Boris has taken a different position on this than his brother and father who are both for Remain
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2016
    James Forsyth Verified account
    @JGForsyth

"Just a few weeks ago, Downing Street confident Tories 4 Brexit wld be ‘small and, frankly, unattractive’. Now faced with Boris, Gove & Priti"

And now they dont??
  • Options
    Does he predict outliers or just favourites?

I can't recall anyone winning a long shot, more myth than reality me thinks.

Happy to be corrected.

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Roger is usually very good on the Oscars.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I sense panic amongst the Europhiles. No positive case for remaining just insulting those advocating leaving the EU and scaremongering or outright lying in some cases.
This discussion has been closed.