Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Bullingdon boys go into battle and it ain’t going to be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Bullingdon boys go into battle and it ain’t going to be pretty

We’ve always known that Dave is at his best when his back is to the wall and that’s how it must have seen this morning with the massive media coverage of the decision by Boris to back LEAVE.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    One thing's for sure. All the witch hazel in the world isn't going to be sufficient balm for the bruises and wounds in the Conservative party when all this has ended.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    After the GE there was a survey of people that didn't vote asking who they would have voted for if they had got off the sofa, about a quarter of those people said they didn't know, this suggests there is a "terminally uninterested in politics" segment of about 12-15% of the population. I wouldn't think that 17% of DK that ICM has had for months is going to vote for either side, it is the "nailed to the sofa" vote.
  • Options
    Hell hath no fury as a Bullingdon boy scorned
  • Options

One thing's for sure. All the witch hazel in the world isn't going to be sufficient balm for the bruises and wounds in the Conservative party when all this has ended.

Quite.

And if the European Parliament eviscerates the deal it will all have been for nothing. Dave and Boris both holed below the water line, and a worthless (well, more worthless) agreement and the vote already held. Ugh.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Ugh! What a pathetic spectacle Cameron is.

A raging Europhile leaving an overwhelmingly eurosceptic Party.

Whether we LEAVE or REMAIN something's got to give- Hopefully Cameron and Osborne's careers.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Evening all. We live in interesting times.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    GIN1138 said:

Whether we LEAVE or REMAIN something's got to give- Hopefully Cameron and Osborne's careers.

Confirmation that Cameron has played a blinder. :)
  • Options
    FPT:
    Indigo said:

The country will have already voted to Remain, just as Scotland may have an SNP government but isn't independent. What is the next step?

Unlike Scotland, the UK parliament is sovereign, and with only minor ingenuity the new leader will find a pretext to call the last referendum a sham and either call a new one, or just announce that we will be leaving, depending on his mandate and support at the time.

You have a touching faith that the deal won't unravel or be struck down within the next year and make the whole thing academic.
    I can't imagine any leave-supporting PM being elected who would take us out after voting to remain without a referendum. We'd surely need an out vote to leave.

So call a new one it is, but the country doesn't like being told they got a vote wrong. So there'd need to be grounds for a new vote, it would be interesting to see what they are.

Ironically the best way for the deal not to unravel might be for a sceptic to become PM. If lets say we object under the new procedure and a review begins the sceptic Prime Minister could say that if the review isn't met to our satisfaction then clearly the system we voted for hasn't worked and he'll call a new vote campaigning for Leave ... so to avoid that the EU would likely meet our concerns on that issue to avoid it being an issue.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    FPT:

Charles mentioned that under Cameron's deal, we would no longer be able to sue before the ECJ against ECB power grabs (eg over clearing). If we are all subject to the same rules, wouldn't it make such power grabs more difficult as it would amount to discrimination?

Sorry to repeat myself, just trying to get my head around the regulatory side.
  • Options

Charles said:

It's a political protection, not a legal one.

The two go together.
    Not according to the ECJ.
    the review by the Court of the validity of any Community measure in the light of fundamental rights must be considered to be the expression, in a community based on the rule of law, of a constitutional guarantee stemming from the EC Treaty as an autonomous legal system which is not to be prejudiced by an international agreement
  • Options
    felix said:

GIN1138 said:

Confirmation that Cameron has played a blinder. :)
    Wait and see if he escapes from the '22 with his testicles intact this evening ;)
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. Charles, a winged unicorn is not the same as 'a' pegasus [there's only one Pegasus, really...].

Mr. Gin, one is quite unimpressed with Cameron.
  • Options

A lot will depend on how decisive the result is.
  • Options

Bruised and battered Tories, meet Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy is the best friend you will ever have ...

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited February 2016
    FPT:

Mortimer said:

But this refers to the section on the single market, surely, rather than specifically the single rule book on banking/fin insts.....which is actually a retrograde step reducing our powers to resist.

Why is it a retrograde step?
    Because previously we didn't have to follow the single rule book - this agreement states that we do have to.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The Commentariat loving Cameron today.

I had to smile when I read one tweet saying his command of the commons was almost that of Tony Blair in his pomp.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, it's unlikely, given they're probably decorating Hollande's mantelpiece already.
  • Options
    It is always open to the UK to not implement laws and directives it does not like. Then it is up to others to take the UK to the ECJ. That will take a long, long time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Why was everyone getting so excited on the last thread about that clip?

It seems like Cameron gave a good answer to an average question by Boris. Clearly Cameron had the advantage of the dispatch box and used it well, but he hardly declared war on Boris.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    malcolmg said:

Unfortunately I believe England will chicken out big time and REMAIN. Too many cowardy custards worried they might lose a fiver. The Great has gone from Britain forever , just followers nowadays.

Unlike Scotland

Exactly like Scotland, too many chickens
  • Options

Bruised and battered Tories, meet Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy is the best friend you will ever have ...

It's precisely because the Conservatives don't fear Jeremy Corbyn that they feel able to behave so badly to each other. The divisions in each main party are encouraging members of the other main party to become more internally confrontational.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

Charles mentioned that under Cameron's deal, we would no longer be able to sue before the ECJ against ECB power grabs (eg over clearing). If we are all subject to the same rules, wouldn't it make such power grabs more difficult as it would amount to discrimination?

As I understand it (as a non-lawyer and non-banker), the ECB would make a power grab by changing some regulation which would have the same legal effect on everyone, but rather little actual effect on most because it applied to markets they didn't operate in to any significant degree. Since everyone had the same rule, it would not be discrimination.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Take it from me, as a "raging Europhile" myself, that Cameron isn't one or anything close to one.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

But this refers to the section on the single market, surely, rather than specifically the single rule book on banking/fin insts.....which is actually a retrograde step reducing our powers to resist.

Because previously we didn't have to follow the single rule book - this agreement states that we do have to.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-2862_en.htm
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, the entirely unaccountable ECJ. It's abhorrent.

On the plus side, my comparison of Osborne to Antigonus Monopthalmus may prove accurate.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    malcolmg said:

Unfortunately I believe England will chicken out big time and REMAIN. Too many cowardy custards worried they might lose a fiver. The Great has gone from Britain forever , just followers nowadays.

Unlike Scotland

Exactly like Scotland, too many chickens

Ha.

I think you are correct, sadly.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Even if it were in Cameron's nature to go softly with his opponents, which it isn't, he couldn't do it. Boris has directly challenged him. He has to hit back so that others don't see him as an easy target.

This is going to get very ugly indeed.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

GIN1138 said:

Take it from me, as a "raging Europhile" myself, that Cameron isn't one or anything close to one.

Only Europhiles have EU cufflinks...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

It won't be discrimination because the same rule book applies to everyone.

Previously on clearing - sorry to come back to this - it was discrimination because there were different rules for Euro and non-Euro countries, and the Eurozone came up with a rule saying "all Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". So we sued and won.

Now they can come up with a single rule, applicable to everyone, saying that "All Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". We protest about it, there is a period of time during which the Commission tries to reach a consensus, then there is a vote and the rule is implemented
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul · 7m7 minutes ago

Gove & Johnson don't argue on econ or immigration, but “sovereignty, which means nothing to anybody” @GaryGibbonBlog http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/boris-johnson-throws-tory-mps-panic/32474#sthash.FvydARob.dpuf

*Ponders whether Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs might be apposite at this point*
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Rubio first?!

Betfair will go ballistic.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The Fix
    The remarkable frugality of Donald Trump, in 2 charts https://t.co/HkGNh1wkQQ https://t.co/JDdv8dtHoX
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

No it absolutely doesn't.
  • Options
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Gove & Johnson don't argue on econ or immigration, but “sovereignty, which means nothing to anybody” @GaryGibbonBlog http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/boris-johnson-throws-tory-mps-panic/32474#sthash.FvydARob.dpuf

Of course they do. Control is all.
  • Options
    Just seen the Boris/Cameron clip.

Not exactly as advertised.

Boris asks what powers come back. Cameron says vaguely some welfare, some bailout, some immigration (nonsense) and then goes on to say the deal means we won't cede any more.

I don't think he answered Boris's question, and instead answered a different one. Yes, he did so lucidly, but it wasn't a knock out.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

It won't be discrimination because the same rule book applies to everyone.

Previously on clearing - sorry to come back to this - it was discrimination because there were different rules for Euro and non-Euro countries, and the Eurozone came up with a rule saying "all Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". So we sued and won.

Now they can come up with a single rule, applicable to everyone, saying that "All Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". We protest about it, there is a period of time during which the Commission tries to reach a consensus, then there is a vote and the rule is implemented
    What's the rule on clearing US Dollars?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Treaties overrule agreements over brunch, right?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Hilariously, we now have two posters - one saying that we have always had to follow the single rule book, another that we absolutely do not have to follow it after the agreement.

Which is it chaps (and chapesses)?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2016
    Charles said:

It seems like Cameron gave a good answer to an average question by Boris. Clearly Cameron had the advantage of the dispatch box and used it well, but he hardly declared war on Boris.

Indeed, from the clip above, it was a good performance by Cameron - Boris gave the PM the perfect opportunity to set out what ‘sovereign power’ safeguards* his negotiation deal has achieved and Cameron made full use of the occasion. Boris will have to up his game and stick to specifics.

(* whether Cameron was factual correct in his answer is another matter altogether)
  • Options

It's precisely because the Conservatives don't fear Jeremy Corbyn that they feel able to behave so badly to each other. The divisions in each main party are encouraging members of the other main party to become more internally confrontational.

But the Tories win the election every time as long as JC is Labour leader. It does hold out the promise of abysmal government for a long time to come, though.

• Options

Mr. Observer, the entirely unaccountable ECJ. It's abhorrent.

I am less concerned by their lack of accountability (it is almost impossible to change a senior judge in the UK as well for good reasons) as I am that they are political appointees, that are not necessarily selected for the quality of their judgements, or the intellect shown in their reasoning but for the political acceptability of their views. The ECJ frequently contradicts its own judgements, which doesn't fill one with confidence. Worse of all it is founded on the unshakeable mandate to promote... ever closer union.

This last point is why Cameron's "opt out from ever closer union" is so much bullshit.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

Only Europhiles have EU cufflinks...

Well I wear TARDIS cufflinks but I'm not a Time Lord... ;)

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Indeed, but the polls are finally starting to arrive from across the nation. Keep a watchful eye on the spreadsheet.
  • Options

Precisely; the Tory Leave/Remain argument - which is the only one that counts - involves a lot of shouting but very little disagreement about what actually matters to people in their daily lives. That's why if Leave wins there are going to be many, many disappointed Leave voters.

• Options
    Remainers have their tails up, after spending many hours bitching about Boris.

Many were the same who moaned about Flashman.

I'm more sanguine given I don't feel threatened. I'm disappointed that Cameron has taken the gloves off so early against his own colleagues. It's done now. We move forward with this in mind.
    Charles said:

• Options
    FPT:

One point I'd like to make: there will never be a "good" time to Leave. We've been locked into an economic union for over 40 years and, inevitably, Leaving is going to involve some uncertainty and temporary disruption as a new relationship is agreed.

The question you've got to ask yourselves is: is it worth it?

I remember Cameron himself making a similar argument prior to the GE2010 when criticised that 'now is no time for a novice'. He was also criticised that his deficit reduction plans would crash the economy and he lacked the necessary expertise. He quite rightly pointed out that if that was all that mattered you've never elect a new Prime Minister or government team, *ever*.

I have no fear of ending an unsatisfying relationship or employment that leads nowhere.

6 years ago I took a risk in leaving a very comfortable junior technical job in a medium sized engineering firm to join a business consultancy as its operations manager. I had no experience and knew it was a risk, because the division wasn't profitable, but it was an opportunity.

I did well for 9 months, and then was then made redundant. Scary experience. But I got £10k redundancy pay, paid off my debts, and then got a much better consultancy job with one of the Big 4 and doubled my salary. I also met my future wife through it and am now very happy.

None of that would have happened if I'd stayed put out of fear of the Unknown. If you are in a poor relationship going nowhere, you have to have the courage to end it.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Yes.

And the ECJ only cares about the Treaties, it has even struck down UN Security Council Resolutions as being incompatible with the Treaties.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Labour discipline began to fail during the weak leadership of Hague and IDS, which offered no challenge to Labour. It plants seeds that germinate later on.

The trick Labour has to pull off is to keep JC in place to maximise the space for Tory decent and then swap him for a more effective leader once the Tories have reached the point of no return.

Will it happen? Who knows.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Hilariously, we now have two posters - one saying that we have always had to follow the single rule book, another that we absolutely do not have to follow it after the agreement.

ah sorry. You are right it is not easy to understand. The key bit as far as we are concerned is this:

(Edit: from the final text)

2. Union law on the banking union conferring upon the European Central Bank, the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, authority over credit institutions is applicable only to credit institutions located in Member States whose currency is the euro or in Member States that have concluded with the European Central Bank a close cooperation agreement on prudential supervision, in accordance with relevant EU rules and subject to the requirements of group and consolidated supervision and resolution.

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV, as the implementation mechanism of the Basel protocols, there is less of an issue.
  • Options

Yes, it meant nothing whatsoever in Scotland 18 months ago.

Incidentally, you've missed the far more serious political implications at the start of that blog.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

ah sorry. You are right it is not easy to understand. The key bit as far as we are concerned is this:

2. Union law on the banking union conferring upon the European Central Bank, the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, authority over credit institutions is applicable only to credit institutions located in Member States whose currency is the euro or in Member States that have concluded with the European Central Bank a close cooperation agreement on prudential supervision, in accordance with relevant EU rules and subject to the requirements of group and consolidated supervision and resolution.

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV it is less clear, although as a natural extension of the Basel protocols there is less of an issue.
    By setting risk weightings, the unelected risk committee of the Bank for International Settlements is the de facto regulator for every bank in the world.
  • Options
    Steve Hawkes
    PM assures Tory MPs he will be respectful of Out campaigners' views after a "few" urge him to be kind to Boris at the 1922 meeting
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    So ICM a statistical tie between Remain and Leave - same as they were a month ago. Cameron's deal didn't move them - will Boris?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

If you will excuse the pantomime moment - oh yes it does. It is explicit that the Single Rulebook applies to all states, eurozone or not. It says that if we do.not like something in the dingle rulebook then we can raise an objection. But it also says the Council does not have to change its decision because of the protest.
  • Options
    Janan Ganesh opines on Boris Johnson's move:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0eab8ae4-d943-11e5-a72f-1e7744c66818.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/comment/feed//product#axzz40tht1xkE

"Brexit implies risk. It is not clear how the endorsement of a protean maverick eases that problem of perception. Theresa May, who probably tuts when she spies a clock 30 seconds out of sync with Greenwich Mean Time, could have brought stolid reassurance to the Leave campaign. But even the home secretary would have made no decisive difference. Because no individual, save the prime minister, possibly could. "
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You need to watch Cameron's opening statement where he smacked Boris around to get the context for Boris' crappy question
  • Options
    @owenjbennett: David Cameron just hugged @PhilipDaviesMP and declared 'loves breaking out' as they left the 1922 committee together
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Vincent ITV
    Updated: End of play Monday Tory MP #EURef tally:
    REMAIN 129
    OUT 120
    UNDECIDED 45
    UNKNOWN 36
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

Yes.

And the ECJ only cares about the Treaties, it has even struck down UN Security Council Resolutions as being incompatible with the Treaties.
    I would put UN Security Council Resolutions on a level with brunch treaties!
    The sovereignty case for LEAVE is compelling and, I think, unanswerable
    The problem is that few people care for sovereignty as an absolute value save perhaps the Juche followers in the unlit bit of Korea
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The main comments noticeable in the C4News are Boris saying Cameron's response is 'Rubbish' and Corbyn's 'Who are you?"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV it is less clear, although as a natural extension of the Basel protocols there is less of an issue.
    By setting risk weightings, the unelected risk committee of the Bank for International Settlements is the de facto regulator for every bank in the world.
    well exactly and I have edited my post to more accurately reflect CRD IV.

now - perhaps people have a problem with the BiS and, given recent history, it is difficult to say it has worked well, but it is a completely different kettle of fish to worrying about the EU and the single rulebook, where the key exemption in the deal is that we don't have to participate in the various single resolution measures.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Vincent ITV
    Updated: End of play Monday Tory #EURef tally:
    REMAIN 129
    OUT 120
    UNDECIDED 45
    UNKNOWN 36

So if it were a commons vote REMAIN would win easily.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    It's Utah. Wouldn't expect Mormons to be Trump's core demographic. Not with Cruz and Rubio in the race. And there is 9% for Jeb Bush to get divied up too, so he may go further behind.

Utah won't stop him being the Republican candidate. When he'll win the state over Hilllary by about 30%!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    C4 report between half and two thirds of Tory MPs have not gone to listen to Cameron.
  • Options

Boris asks what powers come back. Cameron says vaguely some welfare, some bailout, some immigration (nonsense) and then goes on to say the deal means we won't cede any more.

I don't think he answered Boris's question, and instead answered a different one. Yes, he did so lucidly, but it wasn't a knock out.

Indeed. Boris asks a perfectly reasonable question and Cameron (clearly tired, emotional and very rattled) waffles about his nothing "reforms".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

now - perhaps people have a problem with the BiS and, given recent history, it is difficult to say it has worked well, but it is a completely different kettle of fish to worrying about the EU and the single rulebook, where the key exemption in the deal is that we don't have to participate in the various single resolution measures.
    The BIS, by setting the risk weighting for mortgages at 25%, even if you only owned the equity stub of a stack of mortgages, did more to cause the GFC than any other institution.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    RodCrosby said:

Indeed, but the polls are finally starting to arrive from across the nation. Keep a watchful eye on the spreadsheet.
    Fortunately for Trump, Utah is PR15.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Vincent ITV
    REMAIN 129
    OUT 120
    UNDECIDED 45
    UNKNOWN 36

Higher than I thought. I thought Leave would be on 110-120 Tory MPs and it looks like it's already topped that.

If it wasn't for the payroll vote, I think Leave would have a Tory majority.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

A political party needs a credible opponent to hang together.

• Options
    I've changed the video at the start of the header.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

If you will excuse the pantomime moment - oh yes it does. It is explicit that the Single Rulebook applies to all states, eurozone or not. It says that if we do.not like something in the dingle rulebook then we can raise an objection. But it also says the Council does not have to change its decision because of the protest.
    We are signed up to CRD IV, which is the implementation method of Basel III - ie capital requirements. We have never had too much of an issue with global standards for bank capital, or have we?

As for the more contentious elements - ie SSM, SRM, then we do have exemption. As do we have exemption from other ECB laws on banking union, in the clause I have pasted now (including this one) three times:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Primary Polls for Super Tuesday

Emerson Massachusetts

GOP
    Trump 50
    Rubio 16
    Kasich 13
    Cruz 10
    Carson 3

Dems
    Sanders 46
    Clinton 46
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_d5ea765bda3b4fa580d9d6e2908ea509.pdf

KPR Vermont

GOP
    Trump 33
    Kasich 14
    Rubio 14
    Cruz 13

Dems
    Sanders 78
    Clinton 13
    http://digital.vpr.net/post/vpr-poll-trump-leads-vermonts-gop-field-sanders-has-huge-home-state-support

West Virginia WVM

GOP
    Trump 40
    Cruz 20
    Rubio 15
    Carson 10
    Kasich 6

Dems
    Sanders 57
    Clinton 29
    http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MetroNews-WV-Poll-Press-Release-2-22-2016-Presidential-Race-FINAL.pdf

• Options

Jonathan said:

Vincent ITV
    REMAIN 129
    OUT 120
    UNDECIDED 45
    UNKNOWN 36

Higher than I thought. I thought Leave would be on 110-120 Tory MPs and it looks like it's already topped that.

If it wasn't for the payroll vote, I think Leave would have a Tory majority.
    That's why the next few months are going to so interesting.
  • Options
    Dave won't run in 2020 confirmed.

"I have no other agenda than what is best for our country" = "I'm spending that political capital NOW"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

RodCrosby said:
    Rubio first?!

Betfair will go ballistic.
    Cromwell must have deep pockets to be shifting the whole market.
  • Options
    ARG Michigan

GOP
    Trump 35
    Kasich 17
    Cruz 12
    Rubio 12
    Carson 9

Dems
    Clinton 53
    Sanders 40
    http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/mirep.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

The BIS, by setting the risk weighting for mortgages at 25%, even if you only owned the equity stub of a stack of mortgages, did more to cause the GFC than any other institution.
    No huge argument from me there, but we don't get to sidestep Basel III if we leave the EU...
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Incidentally, you've missed the far more serious political implications at the start of that blog.
    '“Cameron is toast,” one Remain-supporting Tory MP said. “He and the entire project is over. Continuity through George or whoever is over. The next leader will come before the end of the year and it’ll be someone in the next generation.” “Cameron won’t be here long now,” another loyalist said. “This is going to get extremely ugly now,” another Remain MP said.

Tied in with the C4 report that less than half of Tory MPs have turned out for tonights meeting...
  • Options
    Is there a more revolting toady than Iain Martin ?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    repost FPT:

<<SouthamObserver said:
    If Leave wins it will be a Tory government negotiating Brexit. Given that all viable Tory leadership contenders believe in the free movement of goods, services, people and capital, neither a Remain or Leave vote is actually going to make much difference to anything. This is all a lot of shouting about not very much at all.>>

This brings in to play one of my main nagging concerns about voting Leave - the logical place we'll find ourselves in will be either EEA or EEA-lite and needing to basically adhere to most of what the EU states are bound by as a result, but not having any ability to shape future regulations.

Whatever the options are, the worst one by far to me is being in the EEA or some "special status" (ha...) one step removed from "full EEA". That would be a disaster. But that's where I think "Leave" would leave us.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

No huge argument from me there, but we don't get to sidestep Basel III if we leave the EU...
    It's funny, isn't it. We worry a lot about MIFID, CRD IV, etc., and yet the most important regulating entity of financial services in the UK sits in Switzerland and is under no democratic oversight whatsoever.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

We are signed up to CRD IV, which is the implementation method of Basel III - ie capital requirements. We have never had too much of an issue with global standards for bank capital, or have we?

As for the more contentious elements - ie SSM, SRM, then we do have exemption. As do we have exemption from other ECB laws on banking union, in the clause I have pasted now (including this one) three times:

So, contra Charles, the regulatory environment for the Eurozone and non-Euro countries will continue to be different.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Jonathan said:

The trick Labour has to pull off is to keep JC in place to maximise the space for Tory decent and then swap him for a more effective leader once the Tories have reached the point of no return.

All Tories are decent, my man....
  • Options
    When are the next early hours primaries?
  • Options
    Michigan and West Virginia are the wrong way round for the Dems !
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour discipline began to fail during the weak leadership of Hague and IDS, which offered no challenge to Labour. It plants seeds that germinate later on.

'...more effective leader...' Well lets face it that list includes you, but leaving that aside just where do you find this towering intellect?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Of course Mormons, and the fact it is a caucus, is why I think Trump's margin of victory will be smaller than it should be in Nevada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY
  • Options

When are the next early hours primaries?

Nevada for the GOP is tomorrow which might declare earlier, SC for the Dems is on Saturday, Super Tuesday is next week
  • Options
    Nice if complex Venn diagram

The EU is NOT the single market. GLOBAL bodies make the rules.

#Brexit https://t.co/gWh70g7eey
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

So, contra Charles, the regulatory environment for the Eurozone and non-Euro countries will continue to be different.
    looks like it.

You'll have to ask Charles for his view but there are plenty on here who foresee a takeover by the EU of the City of London whereby resistance is futile and we are better out than in to get our barricades in order.

I disagree with that view although understand that the EU is an organisation dedicated to ever closer union and ideally would like to centralise everything politically and economically.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

'“Cameron is toast,” one Remain-supporting Tory MP said. “He and the entire project is over. Continuity through George or whoever is over. The next leader will come before the end of the year and it’ll be someone in the next generation.” “Cameron won’t be here long now,” another loyalist said. “This is going to get extremely ugly now,” another Remain MP said.

Tied in with the C4 report that less than half of Tory MPs have turned out for tonights meeting...
    Depends on the result, if Leave win it will be Boris, if Remain wins Cameron and Osborne will have a mandate and Osborne will do a Brownite stitch-up to ensure he gets the leadership virtually unopposed, probably with Javid as Chancellor
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

"I have no other agenda than what is best for our country" = "I'm spending that political capital NOW"

Osbrone will still be on the scene though.... However the Referendum ends up I think this is all going to finish up with the end of Osborne's career.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella...
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited February 2016
    taffys said:

Of course they do. Control is all.
    Britain was sovereign (by your measure) during the Suez Crisis. Who owns the Suez Canal?
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: The bit where Cameron took Johnson apart https://t.co/QNQ3y2KNaB https://t.co/WMSExGg97z
  • Options
    Mormons are the most polite and welcoming population I've ever met. Salt Lake City is delightful.

Safe, uber clean and civic.
    LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Of course Mormons, and the fact it is a caucus, is why I think Trump's margin of victory will be smaller than it should be in Nevada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Osbrone will still be on the scene though.... However the Referendum ends up I think this is all going to finish up with the end of Osbornes career.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella...
    Hmm No - if we leave it is over, for sure he looks uncomfortable at the moment, but the referendum will be ancient history by 2018.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think this is all going to finish up with the end of Osborne's career.

But his career is already over!

He ate a burger
    Was on a train. And a boat!

NewsSense™
This discussion has been closed.