Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters TV Show on Trump, Brussels,

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters TV Show on Trump, Brussels, Osborne and that LAB poll lead

After a week dominated by the tragedy in Brussels the PB/PN TV team look at the political impact of that as well as Trump’s growing haul of delegates, Osborne and that unique polling event – the Labour polling lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited March 2016
    1st
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second like Leave!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016
    Trump is going to lose Wisconsin:

Emerson, Wisconsin

http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_73d4ad9247704c9488a764acae6f7767.pdf

Cruz 36
    Trump 35
    Kasich 19

Bad news for Trump and for all of us that want this thing to finally end.
    Ted Cruz is going to win his first non-mormon Romney state.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Who is this guy who says "you know" every few sentences. Someone needs to tell him how annoying it is.
  • Options
    Now there are two of them at it. Please STOP!
  • Options
    In the interests of your sanity I advise viewers to skip part one and start at part two 15:30
  • Options
    OMG its the same two guys and so amateurish. I can't listen any more.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

The Associated Press ‏@AP 5m5 minutes ago
    BREAKING: The Islamic State group has trained at least 400 fighters to target Europe in deadly waves, the AP has learned.

As always, I've never been more thankful for a Tory PM who shut the doors to unrestricted migrant movements into the country.
    Though the brothers in Belgium were not migrants though, were they?

Neither were the 7/7 bombers, the Woolwich killers etc.
    Which just makes it worse. You have to add the 400 ISIS killers to the killers who already here.

They might have 1000 ready to go, in total. Including lone wolves and nutters etc. God knows. 2000, 4000.

4000 terrorists = 40,000 dead Europeans. That's the entire US combat death toll in the Vietnam War.

2nd prize for Leave's Project Fear campaign to SeanT , 1st prize to YossariansChild . Can be beaten though to 1st one who suggests blowing up the Channel Tunnel to help protect our borders .
    'If you tolerate this, your kids will be next.' I protect my kids you vote Lib Dem - nuff said.
    Idiot
    Don't worry. When your kids ask you what did you do when Europe was being bombed by ISIS you can look them gravely in the eye, raise your head from the bar charts and say 'me? I was with Nick Clegg.' Im sure they'll respect you for it..
    My daughter and family have just got back from Amsterdam , my son is off to Germany in a month's time . They relish the freedom of movement given them by EU membership .
    I recently came back from a trip to the States. I plan a further two trips there this year. It was almost as easy as going on holiday to an EU member country.

Thankfully most people are holidaying further afield so whatever bizarre argument you are trying to make will not work with most people.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    "TipTV"... you knew already
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    It appears the attacks in Brussels were brought forward by nearly a week.

The Belgians knew the metro and the airport were potential targets but its unclear (despite some claims coming out of Israel in particular that they knew precise detail ) that they were 100% defined targets of an attack in this round.

What looks fairly certain is that those guys really did think they were going to be lifted. One of those involved in the actual attacks is far too skilled and useful to be blowing himself up under regular circumstances. IS may have lost a seriously important bod in its Franco-Belgian jaunt.

Politically, someone's head is likely to be served up over this round of attacks, perhaps unfairly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Speedy said:

Emerson, Wisconsin

Cruz 36
    Trump 35
    Kasich 19

Ted Cruz !
  • Options
    The good news for Trump is Wisconsin is WTA2, not WTA so he might be able to level the delegates with Cruz if he wins enough CDs. Given how concentrated Cruz's vote can be thats a possibility.,
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2016
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

BREAKING: The Islamic State group has trained at least 400 fighters to target Europe in deadly waves, the AP has learned.

As always, I've never been more thankful for a Tory PM who shut the doors to unrestricted migrant movements into the country.

Which just makes it worse. You have to add the 400 ISIS killers to the killers who already here.

They might have 1000 ready to go, in total. Including lone wolves and nutters etc. God knows. 2000, 4000.

4000 terrorists = 40,000 dead Europeans. That's the entire US combat death toll in the Vietnam War.

2nd prize for Leave's Project Fear campaign to SeanT , 1st prize to YossariansChild . Can be beaten though to 1st one who suggests blowing up the Channel Tunnel to help protect our borders .
    'If you tolerate this, your kids will be next.' I protect my kids you vote Lib Dem - nuff said.
    Idiot
    Don't worry. When your kids ask you what did you do when Europe was being bombed by ISIS you can look them gravely in the eye, raise your head from the bar charts and say 'me? I was with Nick Clegg.' Im sure they'll respect you for it..
    My daughter and family have just got back from Amsterdam , my son is off to Germany in a month's time . They relish the freedom of movement given them by EU membership .
    I recently came back from a trip to the States. I plan a further two trips there this year. It was almost as easy as going on holiday to an EU member country.

Thankfully most people are holidaying further afield so whatever bizarre argument you are trying to make will not work with most people.
    I just got back from Canada a few weeks ago staying with family over there, with Canadian family coming to stay with us later this year. Last year I went to Mexico and in the past few years have been to the Dominican Republic, Egypt and Turkey. Never needed to apply for a visa any time (excluding paying £10 for a "visa" which is basically just a tax in the airport in Egypt).

Weird how none of those non-EU nations were difficult to get into despite them not being in the EU isn't it?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

Arrogant twat
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Y0kel said:

It appears the attacks in Brussels were brought forward by nearly a week.

The Belgians knew the metro and the airport were potential targets but its unclear (despite some claims coming out of Israel in particular that they knew precise detail ) that they were 100% defined targets of an attack in this round.

What looks fairly certain is that those guys really did think they were going to be lifted. One of those involved in the actual attacks is far too skilled and useful to be blowing himself up under regular circumstances. IS may have lost a seriously important bod in its Franco-Belgian jaunt.

Politically, someone's head is likely to be served up over this round of attacks, perhaps unfairly.

Islamic nutters in 'not being on schedule' SHOCK.

Perhaps if intelligence services were more obsessed with obstructing terrorism and less obsessed with observing it, we might see less of this sort of thing.
  • Options
    The point at 3 minutes is factually incorrect, Sanders was the night's delegate winner.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Exactly. If you have travelled abroad from the UK to the EU or South America or Africa (as I have) 'freedom of movement' makes F-all difference. Once inside Schengen Area of course you and your AK-47 can move freely. Not something I'd want here TBH.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Emerson, Wisconsin

Cruz 36
    Trump 35
    Kasich 19

Speedy in bad news for Trump shock.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Speedy said:

Emerson, Wisconsin

Cruz 36
    Trump 35
    Kasich 19

Why assume a Cruz victory with only a single digit poll lead?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "If Brussels feared a terrorist attack, why was its airport security so lax?"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/03/if-brussels-feared-a-terrorist-attack-why-was-its-airport-security-so-lax/
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Speedy said:

Emerson, Wisconsin

Cruz 36
    Trump 35
    Kasich 19

Why assume a Cruz victory with only a single digit poll lead?
    Cruz tends to outperform his polls.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:
    Phee, abortion, that's a nice calm issue will make the SCOTUS appointment a non issue in the general election.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Exactly. If you have travelled abroad from the UK to the EU or South America or Africa (as I have) 'freedom of movement' makes F-all difference. Once inside Schengen Area of course you and your AK-47 can move freely. Not something I'd want here TBH.
    Idiot , try carrying an AK-47 across a European border and see if you can do it .
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RuthDavidsonMSP: T'would be a naughty scamp indeed who questions Corbyn turning up @ annual kebab awards but not annual Scottish conf https://t.co/s8B0qzCuxW

@uxbridgewalrus: Perhaps he's trying to find some new doners! https://t.co/nRCQA7wgIh

@scottreid1980: @RuthDavidsonMSP Oh that was truly pittaful. (sorry)

@BBCDanielS: @RuthDavidsonMSP @uxbridgewalrus Boom. Shish. Surely?
  • Options
    @silvesterldn: JC: "I enjoy a good falafel. Hands up those kebab shops that don't serve falafel."

This is real. Actually real.
  • Options
    Shocked!
    "Willie Rennie MSP has said the number of Scottish Liberal Democrat MSPs will grow thanks to the party’s record of action at Holyrood over the last five years"
    http://libdemhame.org/2016/03/23/rennie-predicts-lib-dem-gains-in-may/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    IanB2 said:

If you feel you can do better, go right ahead.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Idiot , try carrying an AK-47 across a European border and see if you can do it .
    Actually whilst I disagree with most of what he is saying, in this case he is right. I am sure there are lots of illegal things including guns being moved around within Schengen and crossing European borders quite freely. It is one of the downsides of the whole concept.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Are you saying that it is impossible to carry an AK47 from, say, France to Belgium? Actually, genuinely, absolutely impossible for a motivated, well organised and batshit crazy terrorist?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Are you saying that it is impossible to carry an AK47 from, say, France to Belgium? Actually, genuinely, absolutely impossible for a motivated, well organised and batshit crazy terrorist?
    errr yes Mark is saying that.
    Stunned.
  • Options
    PB/PN TV
    I am enjoying the UK political discussions from 15 mins in.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"If Brussels feared a terrorist attack, why was its airport security so lax?"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/03/if-brussels-feared-a-terrorist-attack-why-was-its-airport-security-so-lax/

There is a laxness in the smaller airports in Europe. However Brussels I would expect to be on par with Heathrow given the number of high profile targets that pass through.

It basically comes from the inability to comprehend that being so nice they won't be a terrorist target. Unfortunately they are now being brought into the real world. I travel across Europe weekly and I am amazed at the relaxed attitudes in many airports though they are now dramatically improving. As for airports in the Middle East well enough said.

Schipol has only recently discontinued the ability of travellers to be able to get right to the gate and the aircraft before the first security check was completed on entering the gate waiting area . It had been like it since I started flying out of there in 1976.

How far do you go though and how long. The "tanks at Heathrow" was ridiculed at the time so I see it as the worst balancing act to have to perform. Keep the country moving while providing adequate security. As they say the terrorist only has to get lucky once the security always have to be lucky. Make it to tough and you don't solve the problem you move it elsewhere. It's like burglar alarms it simply moves the intruder to a house that does not have one.
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: Massive thanks to the deep level source at the kebab awards who just sent over this quote from Corbyn's speech. https://t.co/rl9D5tCkCG
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Thats a piece of piss. Have you actually travelled by train across Schengen Area Europe? Ive variously travelled from Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Nuremburg and there have been zero checks. So Yes easily could carry an AK-47 across Europe.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

It's also not that tricky to get across land borders into non-Schengen countries, or Britain by sea for that matter.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Indeed thats was just by train never mind the miles I have driven across Schengen Area borders of many countries with no trouble. You really have no clue of which you speak.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Though the brothers in

Idiot

It is obviously possible. How could it be stopped without full car searches at every border?

Carrying an assault rifle is illegal in both countries, and surely the answer is intelligence led policing rather than borders that take hours to cross. Been there done that in Zambia. It has been known to take days...
  • Options

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

I drive around Europe all the time. I have never once ever been stopped crossing any borders. Sorry it's all to easy. You can even potentially drive on Euro tunnel across that border if you wanted to risk it and get away with it.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

There is a laxness in the smaller airports in Europe. However Brussels I would expect to be on par with Heathrow given the number of high profile targets that pass through.

There is no security screening before check in
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2016
    Are people watching the Panorama? They are explaining how various attacks have been setup.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Is there a UK airport that does that?
  • Options
    I hate to piss on this middle-class establishment parade but smuggling anything through Schengen Area borders is easy. Though into the UK its harder - you need to buy scented candles to distract any sniffer dogs - not that there are any - but just in case you know.
  • Options

AFAIK the only airport in the World that does it is Israel
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Brexit is the left-wing choice

The Labour Party has "mislaid its radical roots," says Gisela Stuart

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/brexit-is-the-left-wing-choice
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

I think it was Scott's point that nobody does that anywhere.

i don't really understand the line of argument about how lax security within airports is. The function of airport security is to control what gets onto planes (up to including lethal stuff like toothpaste) for the obvious reasons that most things are worse when you're in a flying metal tube. Until then it's just another location where there are lots of people around, like a shopping centre or station, and it's not entirely clear why you'd expect it to have a different level of security to those other gathering places.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Istanbul does.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    This is probably an old observation, but I've been out all day and come back to a BSE glossy, and was very amused that on one page it lists 6 things the EU is good for, and takes the trouble to list sources for 3 of them, but not the other 3. Whether they are true, or if the source is trustworthy or not (one is the European Commission) it just seems odd design to put a source down for 3 statements out of 6 and not the others.
  • Options
    @benatipsosmori: As doctors launch all out 2 day strike our polling suggests this WILL damage their support https://t.co/q0cOnqIPxY
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Polruan said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot
    It's also not that tricky to get across land borders into non-Schengen countries, or Britain by sea for that matter.

Yep, I have walked into Switzerland from France easily enough.

If you want to get a gun from France into Belgium or vice versa it would be easy enough even with passport controls on major crossing points. It's just a matter of going cross country or on backroads.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

No not in any airport I have done. After check in then normally you do passports and then security dependent on destination but always security of course before entering airside. Amsterdam only recently has moved to that system. It's the lack of interest or apparent lack of interest of security so only as good as the operators. It's understandable in one way it's a monotonous job looking at a screen even for a short time and saying "have you got liquids, laptop and coins" every30seconds must keep you awake at night.

In the Middle East we have put bags through the scanners and the guard is on his mobile or chatting to his mate. That's a common thing in Dubai International by the way.

Don't get me started on west Africa where we have even put bags through a disconnected machine.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Indeed
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

i don't really understand the line of argument about how lax security within airports is. The function of airport security is to control what gets onto planes (up to including lethal stuff like toothpaste) for the obvious reasons that most things are worse when you're in a flying metal tube. Until then it's just another location where there are lots of people around, like a shopping centre or station, and it's not entirely clear why you'd expect it to have a different level of security to those other gathering places.
    I touched down in DRC once. The passengers getting on had their bags xrayed in front of the crew at the foot of the steps. I suspect the terminal security left a bit to be desired!
  • Options

Brexit is the left-wing choice

The Labour Party has "mislaid its radical roots," says Gisela Stuart

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/brexit-is-the-left-wing-choice

Damn straight.

I *told* you all that Corbyn wasn't hard left.
  • Options

I hate to piss on this middle-class establishment parade but smuggling anything through Schengen Area borders is easy. Though into the UK its harder - you need to buy scented candles to distract any sniffer dogs - not that there are any - but just in case you know.

I'll add that applies to flights too. No checks. What applies in one Schengen Area county, whatever you can get there, applies to all. I know I dunnit.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    I still expect Trump to win Wisconsin.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/372741131.html

Trump won the counties in Michigan bordering Wisconsin in the NE, which Santorum won. He also won the counties bordering the SE in Illinois, which Romney won. So not exactly certain how that translates across.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Antalya airport was screening everyone before you got into the building when I was there in March 2006.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Been through most of them and can't think of one in the UK.

Just recollected internationally though that Cairo for a while did a bag check on way into the check in area for a while but then that was discontinued.

If you arrive in a car at a Cairo airport international hotel the car is stopped at a gate and searched and also mirrored underneath for car bombs. They also have large dogs sniffing. They have done that for a very long time.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Moses_ said:

How far do you go though and how long. The "tanks at Heathrow" was ridiculed at the time so I see it as the worst balancing act to have to perform.

That came about because there was fear of an imminent attempt to shoot down an airliner with a missile. It wasn't just a few tanks, there were several hundred soldiers and a massive increase in patrols of the airport perimeter and surrounding areas. The people who criticise that as an overreaction must have some better idea of how to secure a place as large as Heathrow and deter terrorists.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@benatipsosmori: As doctors launch all out 2 day strike our polling suggests this WILL damage their support https://t.co/q0cOnqIPxY

What use is support if you are getting imposition?

Though an interesting question for Hunt, IDD and their mates:

If there were 15 000 easily preventable deaths each year in the UK, should we do something about it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fuel-poverty-killed-15000-people-last-winter-10217215.html
  • Options

IVSTR Having a menstruating woman with you serves much the same purpose. Although that makes sequencing travel a bit harder.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    Out of interest, when is the last date for nominating a Tory leadership contender against a sitting leader? Is it before or after 23 June? Or maybe it doesn't work like that and there has to be a vote of confidence, stab stab, first? In which case, how many nods are needed for the VOC?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Tel Aviv does.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Tel Aviv does.
    We're up to Turkey and Israel.

Two nations that have had more than their fair share of terrorism.
  • Options
    Voodoo I guess

@JohnRentoul: ComRes for ITVNews: Voters think leaving the EU is a risk https://t.co/lhUMttKZ1u https://t.co/B0UuYMxtdy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LondonBob said:

HYUFD said:

LondonBob said:

Opinion polls so far out have some, but limited, value. The Norpoth model has Trump beating Sanders 58 to 42, HRC by 52.5 to 47.5. Kasich has only won one primary and struggles to get in the 20s in most places.

L.A.Times poll 3/25/80 Favorables: Anderson 68%; Kennedy 60%; Carter 51%; Ronald Reagan 30%.
    In March 1980, Reagan was trailing Carter by 15 pts.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/03/337295/

As an outsider Trump's path is similar to Reagan's, HRC's problem is she is already struggling in the polls, especially in the key swing states. All down hill from here.

Rubbish Reagan was likeable and optimistic and polite and spoke well, Trump is dislikeable, rude and angry. Hillary is also more Nixon 1968 than Carter 1976
    Reagan was regarded as a crank and an airhead. Carter was likeable, principled but incompetent. HRC is regarded as divisive, corrupt and incompetent.

Of course as for 08 analogies, one should limit those. The US economy collapsed during the Presidential campaign, even HRC could have won that one.

Always seen Nixon as comparable to Trump, seen a few make that comparison.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-richard-nixon-letter
    Reagan never had the opposition from the GOP establishment Trump did and Bush Snr happily served as his VP. You have to go back to Goldwater to find such opposition to their nominee from the GOP elite

Clinton has Nixon's depth of political experience and shares his intelligence and ruthlessness but is dislikeable. Trump is a bombastic populist who has never held elective office
    Reagan was an outsider from the West Coast who used to denounce the Fed and the Trilateral Commission, loathed and feared by the establishment. Made the mistake of doing a deal with the establishment and having CIA goon/lifer Bush as his VP.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/author-roger-stones-latest-conspiracy-theory-george-h-w-bush-behind-reagan-assassination-attempt/
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    glw said:

Moses_ said:

How far do you go though and how long. The "tanks at Heathrow" was ridiculed at the time so I see it as the worst balancing act to have to perform.

That came about because there was fear of an imminent attempt to shoot down an airliner with a missile. It wasn't just a few tanks, there were several hundred soldiers and a massive increase in patrols of the airport perimeter and surrounding areas. The people who criticise that as an overreaction must have some better idea of how to secure a place as large as Heathrow and deter terrorists.
    I remember it well. I was flying that week from Heathrow.

It was all part of the hype to get Blairs war on Iraq through Parliament, a week after over a million turned out to demonstrate against the war. I don't think there was a credible thing for a AFV to do.

If only TB (and the Tories too) had listened to the people, would we be in this mess now.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    I wonder how many impressionable youth will see the Panorama exposé of IS starry-eyed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Been through most of them and can't think of one in the UK.

Just recollected internationally though that Cairo for a while did a bag check on way into the check in area for a while but then that was discontinued.

If you arrive in a car at a Cairo airport international hotel the car is stopped at a gate and searched and also mirrored underneath for car bombs. They also have large dogs sniffing. They have done that for a very long time.

There are often road checks on the way into Narita in Tokyo.

• Options
    Oh FFS...French protocall meant they didn't send French SAS to the Bataclan. They had 40 sitting outside twiddling their thumbs.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Narita used to have security to enter the airport, but that was because they were trying to protect the airport against anti-airport activists, rather than protecting the people using the airport against anti-people activists. They stopped these checks last year as the Japanese hard left isn't what it once was and the farmers whose land they took are getting on a bit.

Obviously if the aim is to secure the people then checkpoints aren't very useful, because the adversary can move their attack to the queues outside security.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I wonder how many impressionable youth will see the Panorama exposé of IS starry-eyed.

It is very "Hollywood"...
  • Options
    John_N said:

Out of interest, when is the last date for nominating a Tory leadership contender against a sitting leader? Is it before or after 23 June? Or maybe it doesn't work like that and there has to be a vote of confidence, stab stab, first? In which case, how many nods are needed for the VOC?

It takes about 55 letters to the 1922 committee chair to trigger a vote of no confidence. Like happened to IDS.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Voodoo I guess

@JohnRentoul: ComRes for ITVNews: Voters think leaving the EU is a risk https://t.co/lhUMttKZ1u https://t.co/B0UuYMxtdy

It has some strange figures. The 65+ results show a narrow lead for LEAVE. Way out of line for the other polls I have seen. Similar out of line figures for 55+ Maybe suitable samples for these age groups are not available to phone calling due to ex directory and tps etc etc?
  • Options
    Maomentum ‏@Maomentum_ 15m15 minutes ago
    Now evident that so-called 'loyalty list' is false flag planted by sinister Core (Bilderberg) Group Negative.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    John_N said:

No deadline. It starts with the number of letters calling for a vote of confidence to pass the 15% level (of Con MPs).
  • Options
    The Panorama programme is bloody scary, to be honest. If it's accurate, then the ISIS cells in Western Europe are embedded, motivated, trained and well equipped. It gives the impression that the security forces are really having to run hard to stay up with them.
  • Options

The Panorama programme is bloody scary, to be honest. If it's accurate, then the ISIS cells in Western Europe are embedded, motivated, trained and well equipped. It gives the impression that the security forces are really having to run hard to stay up with them.

The fact that basically it is the numpties that are being picked up, not the people who are silently delivering vehicles of weapons etc.
  • Options
    John_N said:

It is not going to happen - due to Corbyn's incompetance the conservatives have ended the week in good spirits and David Cameron is not going to be challenged any time soon
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited March 2016

Scott_P said:

If there were 15 000 easily preventable deaths each year in the UK, should we do something about it?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fuel-poverty-killed-15000-people-last-winter-10217215.html
    Well we could cut doctor's pay back to the level before Alan Johnson's 48%+ deal and use the savings to subsidise fuel costs for these people. Since doctor's are not striking about pay and care only for their patients, then may be that is a great way forward?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I guess this is what happens when you bury your head in the sand for 40 years.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

No not in any airport I have done. After check in then normally you do passports and then security dependent on destination but always security of course before entering airside. Amsterdam only recently has moved to that system. It's the lack of interest or apparent lack of interest of security so only as good as the operators. It's understandable in one way it's a monotonous job looking at a screen even for a short time and saying "have you got liquids, laptop and coins" every30seconds must keep you awake at night.

In the Middle East we have put bags through the scanners and the guard is on his mobile or chatting to his mate. That's a common thing in Dubai International by the way.

Don't get me started on west Africa where we have even put bags through a disconnected machine.
    About 5 years ago I flew to Germany from one of the countries that isn't in the EU and used to be in the USSR. When I was about to go through the X-ray doorframe, which was unattended, I realised I had a fair amount of metal on me, so I looked about for a tray and eventually found one. I put my metal items into it, and then looked about for a conveyor belt to put it on. Eventually I found someone. "What shall I do with this?" I asked in Russian. His answer was that I should just put it on the table by the side of the frame, and then take it back from the other side, because otherwise I'd set the alarm off. He was about 10 feet away from me and couldn't see what my metal items were. It would have been a cinch to take a firearm on to the plane. It probably still is. For obvious reasons I'm not naming the airport.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Voodoo I guess

It has some strange figures. The 65+ results show a narrow lead for LEAVE. Way out of line for the other polls I have seen. Similar out of line figures for 55+ Maybe suitable samples for these age groups are not available to phone calling due to ex directory and tps etc etc?
    Or maybe online samples aren't representative.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Angela Eagle, speaking at MDugher fundraising dinner tonight: "'Angela Eagle, neutral not hostile'..I've never been so insulted in my life"
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited March 2016

John_N said:

It is not going to happen - due to Corbyn's incompetance the conservatives have ended the week in good spirits and David Cameron is not going to be challenged any time soon
    little rEd was crap, but he'd have slaughtered Dave over the last couple of weeks...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Moses_ said:

Schipol has only recently discontinued the ability of travellers to be able to get right to the gate and the aircraft before the first security check was completed on entering the gate waiting area . It had been like it since I started flying out of there in 1976.

Doesn't that depend on where you're flying to?

The European HQ of Mossad is at Schiphol.
    Moses_ said:

The "tanks at Heathrow" was ridiculed at the time

And rightly so. But it was a message to Wilson.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

World of advice - keep it simple flying into Tel Aviv.

Last time I went I stopped off at Charles dd Gaulle for lunch with a friend. I then fly to Ben gurgling arrival conversation went like this:

Q. So why did you stop in Paris?
    A. To have lunch with a friend

Q. Anywhere nice?
    A. Nah. Just at the airport

Q. How long are you in Israel?
    A. I leave tomorrow

Q. What are you going to do?.
    A. Visit a biological manufacturing facility

Q. Would you mind waiting here for a moment?
    A. Ulp

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited March 2016

Scott_P said:

I really don't understand the Docs' reasoning here. By the same logic, if it is going to be imposed what is the point of strikes? It exposes mass resignations as an empty threat. And it suggests that patient safety is not the main concern.

Might it be about money after all?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It was all part of the hype to get Blairs war on Iraq through Parliament, a week after over a million turned out to demonstrate against the war. I don't think there was a credible thing for a AFV to do.

I think you are completely wrong.
  • Options

John_N said:

little rEd was crap, but he'd have slaughtered Dave over the las couple of weeks...
    True.
  • Options
    Not exactly a secret IS has been using the immigration flood to infiltrate Europe. Of course no matter what the atrocity we must never be allowed to question Western foreign or immigration policies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0RsnSqOU8

IS has shifted to this tactic as their Caliphate is in collapse, thanks to the Russian intervention.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Former MI6 chief Sir Richard Dearlove refuses to participate in Project Lie

'Though the UK participates in various European and Brussels-based security bodies, they are of little consequence.'

'Sir Richard said national security was served by international cooperation but only with trusted allies and not the entire EU as this leaked information like a 'colander'.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506451/Ex-Mi6-chief-insists-Brexit-NOT-damage-national-security-Britain-s-best-intelligence-isn-t-shared-leaky-EU-institutions-anyway.html

• Options
    Within the EU we have no choice but to wave through anyone from the EU - for example the mates of the Brussels / Paris bombers cos they have EU passports. Outside the EU we can say 'sorry chum off you go'. Now since Merkel has stupidly opened Germany's door to all and since we know ISIS have targeted that route its clear yes staying in the EU means terrorism here is more likely, Vote Remain and terrorists are more likely to kill you and your kids.You may not like it but its true. Vote Remain and terrorists are more likely to come to the UK and kill you and your kids.
  • Options

John_N said:

little rEd was crap, but he'd have slaughtered Dave over the las couple of weeks...
    Corbyn's hopeless and the lists of loyalty to him today was astonishing. He will be the one facing a coup in the summer
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Idiot

Nope , nor is it impossible to carry an AK47 into the UK , land from a boat on a deserted beach and there you are . Im sure the IRA did it often enough .
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Voodoo I guess

Or maybe online samples aren't representative.
    They all have a big question mark as none appear to have stated that they have fully implemented improvements. The Comres turnout numbers reduce the sample to just 562 for GB.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_P said:

Moses_ said:

Antalya airport was screening everyone before you got into the building when I was there in March 2006.
    In India (Delhi) I had to show my passport and boarding pass to a soldier to get into the terminal
  • Options

The fact that basically it is the numpties that are being picked up, not the people who are silently delivering vehicles of weapons etc.
    The agents of the mastermind get lots of numpties to do all kind of things to attract the attention of the authorities while the real bad guys work away in the background.
This discussion has been closed.