Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM referendum findings suggest that turnout won’t be at ge

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM referendum findings suggest that turnout won’t be at general election levels

The latest ICM poll includes for the first time turnout weighting and points to two broad conclusions: that outers are more determined to vote than inners and that the overall participation level will be lower than the 66.1% that we saw at the general election in May 2015.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    First!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    2nd in the insomniacs sweepstake.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the campaign so far has been the inability of Remain to make any positive case to go out and vote for them. You'd think they'd have SOMETHING to say on why the EU is such a wonderful thing, but nope. No fire at all in their bellies. Just a lot of shoe-gazing and half-hearted mumbling of Project Fear bullet points.

Sub-65% turnout looks a good bet.
  • Options

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the campaign so far has been the inability of Remain to make any positive case to go out and vote for them. You'd think they'd have SOMETHING to say on why the EU is such a wonderful thing, but nope. No fire at all in their bellies. Just a lot of shoe-gazing and half-hearted mumbling of Project Fear bullet points.

It is out there, but with the domination of the Brexit campaign by the internal squabbling factions of the Conservative party it is hard to hear it.

I don't think that the % intention to vote will go up until the Labour party and Trade Unions get campaigning. Neither is in great shape at the moment.

If the turnout is a great deal less than 65% then it does call into question the whole validity of referenda in deciding important issues. Better to stick to Parliament.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2016
    O/T

For anyone worried about Skynet. Microsoft just killed the first AI to "reach sentience" when it went from innocent to Trump supporter in 24hrs after learning about life from reading Twitter ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/
  • Options

If the turnout is a great deal less than 65% then it does call into question the whole validity of referenda in deciding important issues. Better to stick to Parliament.

So the elite (inadvertently) bore the pants off everyone for three months about a referendum, and spread scare stories to the extent their lose all credibility, and then its the public's fault that they can't be bothered to go and vote on the issue of the day ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Indigo,

That Microsoft story is very funny.
  • Options
    I love the idea of a cool tech-savvy teenage girl explaining that Bush was behind 9/11 and praising Hitler.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I love the idea of a cool tech-savvy teenage girl explaining that Bush was behind 9/11 and praising Hitler.

It was even finding "appropriate" images on the net and tweeting those :D
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

It is out there, but with the domination of the Brexit campaign by the internal squabbling factions of the Conservative party it is hard to hear it.

I don't think that the % intention to vote will go up until the Labour party and Trade Unions get campaigning. Neither is in great shape at the moment.

I expect the validity of the outcome to be questioned in three months time.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2016
    Mike - That very low 47% who responded 10/10 certain to vote in yesterday's poll certainly caught my eye and I agree with you that on this basis, it now appears highly likely that the turnout in the referendum will be markedly lower than the 66% who voted in the 2015 GE.
    Accordingly, I've grabbed all the £20 available on Betfair's 55% - 60% band at a seemingly generous 7.6, plus a "saver" on their <55% band. Taken together, possibly my best bet of the year so far, in terms of value.
    So far as I can see none of the conventional bookies are offering this turnout market, unless anyone knows otherwise.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Indigo said:

So the elite (inadvertently) bore the pants off everyone for three months about a referendum, and spread scare stories to the extent their lose all credibility, and then its the public's fault that they can't be bothered to go and vote on the issue of the day ?
    The people boring the pants off people and spreading scare stories are doninating both sides of the debate. It has not been edifying so far and I doubt that it will improve much. We get garbage information in distorted form, in such a way that possibly a bare half of people will bother to turnout. Many or most of those will be voting for something that does not exist. If we vote Leave it will mostly be on a false prospectus as we sign up to the EEA and 4 freedoms immediately. Remain ditto as the EU evolves.

No two ways about it. Referenda are a crap way of deciding complex issues. That is what we elect MPs for.
  • Options

No two ways about it. Referenda are a crap way of deciding complex issues. That is what we elect MPs for.

Which is also a crap way of doing it because largely the population have a choice of two parties will almost the same view on everything, and a few fringe fruitcakes.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Which is also a crap way of doing it because largely the population have a choice of two parties will almost the same view on everything, and a few fringe fruitcakes.
    I would favour STV in multimember constituencies myself.

I think that interest will pick up over time and Remain will comfortably win, with turnout in the 60-65% band, but whoever wins the whining will continue from both sides. We will wind up with a deal with Europe that to most sane people looks very similar to what the EU looks like and most of our trade will also be with the EU. In another decade or two we will probably rejoin!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Indigo said:

O/T

For anyone worried about Skynet. Microsoft just killed the first AI to "reach sentience" when it went from innocent to Trump supporter in 24hrs after learning about life from reading Twitter ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

Sounds like this "AI" was not so far removed from a version I wrote in BASIC on a Commodore PET in 1981.

It was very good at parsing the sentences you fed it, and regurgitating them back as new questions or statements involving the newly-acquired nouns. We soon found ways to make it say ridiculous and hysterical things.

"I would like to have sex with you."
    "...Why thank-you, I would like to have sex with you, too!"
    "Who is Hitler?"
    "...I have had sex with Hitler"
    "When?"
    "...Last Week"
    "Hitler is dead"
    "...Hitler is [sic] dead when I have had sex with him last week"
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2016

Indigo said:

I think that interest will pick up over time and Remain will comfortably win, with turnout in the 60-65% band, but whoever wins the whining will continue from both sides. We will wind up with a deal with Europe that to most sane people looks very similar to what the EU looks like and most of our trade will also be with the EU. In another decade or two we will probably rejoin!
    "I think that interest will pick up over time and Remain will comfortably win, with turnout in the 60-65% band"

Really? I see very little prospect of that, especially in the light of the poll yesterday showing only 47% were 10/10 certain to vote. Prior to the 2015 GE, the polls were typically showing around 76% as being that same 10/10 certain to vote, yet ultimately only 66% took the trouble to do so. My difficulty this morning was in deciding which was the better bet at broadly similar odds between the referendum turnout being 55% - 60% or < 55%. I opted for the former but fear it might be the latter, hence my decision to take out a saver on the lower band.
    Far from "interesting picking up over time", I fear it is just as likely, if not more so, to subside!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Exclusive to PB - First ARSE4EU Projection - Tuesday 29th March 9:00am.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Yep - one of the reasons I have always felt Leave would win is tha this is not an issue that many voters care about. Most of those who do care want out.

That said, if Remain does somehow scrape it, voters will not forgive a party that continues to obsess about this issue.
  • Options
    The (former?) picture editor of the Guardian must want the earth to open and swallow him up:

https://twitter.com/fourfourtweet/status/713154451691978752
  • Options
    JackW said:

Excellent news Jack, might we also expect your projection as regards the turnout in the referendum?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The Elite are arguing among themselves as voters look on.

• Options
    edited March 2016

JackW said:

Excellent news Jack, might we also expect your projection as regards the turnout in the referendum?
    Yes .. :smile:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Indigo said:

It's slightly misleading and unfair to call our current political leaders an "elite".
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

What terrific energy and enthusiasm you have for a 107 year old!
  • Options

Indigo said:

"I think that interest will pick up over time and Remain will comfortably win, with turnout in the 60-65% band"

Really? I see very little prospect of that, especially in the light of the poll yesterday showing only 47% were 10/10 certain to vote. Prior to the 2015 GE, the polls were typically showing around 76% as being that same 10/10 certain to vote, yet ultimately only 66% took the trouble to do so. My difficulty this morning was in deciding which was the better bet at broadly similar odds between the referendum turnout being 55% - 60% or < 55%. I opted for the former but fear it might be the latter, hence my decision to take out a saver on the lower band.
    Far from "interesting picking up over time", I fear it is just as likely, if not more so, to subside!
    It is still 3 months away. Just like a GE people get more interested as it gets closer. Polls are hard for referenda, and increasingly poor for any political issue.

I note that most bookies have their over/under line in the low 60's.

I trust the ARSE4EU in these matters!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

It's slightly misleading and unfair to call our current political leaders an "elite".
    How about e-lite ?

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Mrs JackW concurs .... three times last night and twice this morning .... no not "it" but visits to the loo .. :smiley:
  • Options
    National - CNN Poll of Polls

Trump 43 .. Cruz 31 .. Kasich 19
    Clinton 52 .. Sanders 43
  • Options
    (Channelling his inner Clarkson)

Now who can say that women cannot park in a tight spot...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/23/driver-who-lost-control-of-car-accidentally-achieves-perfect-tight-spot-parking-5771225/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881
    RodCrosby said:

Indigo said:

O/T

Sounds like this "AI" was not so far removed from a version I wrote in BASIC on a Commodore PET in 1981.

It was very good at parsing the sentences you fed it, and regurgitating them back as new questions or statements involving the newly-acquired nouns. We soon found ways to make it say ridiculous and hysterical things.

"I would like to have sex with you."
    "...Why thank-you, I would like to have sex with you, too!"
    "Who is Hitler?"
    "...I have had sex with Hitler"
    "When?"
    "...Last Week"
    "Hitler is dead"
    "...Hitler is [sic] dead when I have had sex with him last week"
    We should not forget the stellar skills of PB's very own ELIZA, which was written by some drunken first-year students at the University of the West of Scotland. :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    I'm sure Remain will be delighted with a low turnout. They have been very keen on people 'not banging on about Europe' and highlighting what an unimportant issue this is all these years.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Mrs JackW concurs .... three times last night and twice this morning .... no not "it" but visits to the loo .. :smiley:
    Don't sell yourself short Jack ..... most people of your age would consider it something of a triumph to be able to make such visits.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JackW said:

Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

How about e-lite ?

Our current system of government is a mediocracy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2016
    FTPT

I like the idea if school as somewhere kids an go to learn about being bullied and adults should only step in when it is serious.

How serious is serious? Visible bruising, hospitalisation? Is a card with a threshold to be handed out so all the bullies know exacty what evel of pain either physical or emotional they can go for before they get Ito trouble?

And how about the bullies, will they randomly be given a kicking by a teacher every now and then so they too can dread every day turning up for school expecting their lunch money to be stolen or to be dumped over a fence or a ball kicked so hard at their head when they are not looking their head is driven into a pebble dash wall?

A jolly good idea!
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Don't sell yourself short Jack ..... most people of your age would consider it something of a triumph to be able to make such visits.
    In all modesty selling myself short is my one great weakness .... :smile:
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Sighs... http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4721076.ece

British border guards at French ports banned from using x-ray scanners to search lorries for stowaways because of health and safety fears.
  • Options

Have you not seen the positive cases in articles on political betting from TSE and Mr Meeks?
    Maybe positive cases are a myth?
  • Options
    If its a low turnout who will have the most incentive to actually bother voting?

It's Leave isn't it...
  • Options
    The Republican contest is such a dull-fest ... :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35893290
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Alistair said:

FTPT

I like the idea if school as somewhere kids an go to learn about being bullied and adults should only step in when it is serious.

How serious is serious?

In Japan, the authorities generally step in after the suicide
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Sighs... http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4721076.ece

British border guards at French ports banned from using x-ray scanners to search lorries for stowaways because of health and safety fears.

I think a good high powered MASER is the answer. That'll detect the b*ggers
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Rog, no idea if it'll be published, but I used masers as the weapon of choice in a short sci-fi story I wrote.

The technical stuff isn't my forte, so I was pleased with that.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Brussels.

I mentioned the other night that the employee and contractors list at the airport needed looking at. It appears one of attackers has working connections to the airport in the past. There has been an indication of inside assistance by someone working there now. That line of inquiry needs looking at.
  • Options
    Many here will disagree with Fraser

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12203847/When-will-Cameron-realise-he-cant-win-the-EU-referendum-by-scaring-us.html
    In theory, counter-terrorism ought to be made easier by the European Union. Its 28 member states can agree on how to spot and intercept jihadists, then share tips as they pursue a common enemy. That’s the theory. In practice, however, it’s a terrifying shambles – as we are now finding out.

For example, its security database contains 90,000 fingerprints – but there’s no means of searching it. Member states cannot even agree on how to spell Arabic names: a bit of a handicap when it comes to tracking Islamists who move across borders. The EU might have many uses, but security just isn’t one of them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12203847/When-will-Cameron-realise-he-cant-win-the-EU-referendum-by-scaring-us.html

In theory, counter-terrorism ought to be made easier by the European Union. Its 28 member states can agree on how to spot and intercept jihadists, then share tips as they pursue a common enemy. That’s the theory. In practice, however, it’s a terrifying shambles – as we are now finding out.

For example, its security database contains 90,000 fingerprints – but there’s no means of searching it. Member states cannot even agree on how to spell Arabic names: a bit of a handicap when it comes to tracking Islamists who move across borders. The EU might have many uses, but security just isn’t one of them.

I laughed my socks off the other day as some belgian politico grandstanded on the beeb saying we needed more Europe to stop this and more info sharing between countries. This was after the same beeb programme had just run a report on how the belgians failed to share information between their own security forces in the same town.

Maybe they should start at home first.
  • Options
    F1: this broke last night but there's some more detail about F1's attempt to kill itself (this time, qualifying):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35896875
  • Options
    Of the £2020 matched so far on Betfair's Referendum Turnout market, just £625 or 31% has been wagered on the turnout being lower than 60%. This is very much at odds with OGH's header which highlights the fact that in ICM's poll, only 47% responded that they were 10/10 certain to vote in the referendum, almost 20% lower than the typical 66% who typically say the same of the next general election.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @Alanbrooke
    This bit made me wince
    The dismantling of border controls makes it easier for terrorists move bombs. The freedom works, but the security doesn’t. Which is perhaps why, after the Paris attacks, a French intelligence chief said that his country had become a “victim of solidarity with the European Union”.

I laughed my socks off the other day as some belgian politico grandstanded on the beeb saying we needed more Europe to stop this and more info sharing between countries. This was after the same beeb programme had just run a report on how the belgians failed to share information between their own security forces in the same town.

Maybe they should start at home first.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited March 2016

Belgium is a country that needs the EU to save it from itself.

I'm not sure how Nelson this leaving the EU would help improve the quality or accuracy of our days in foreign terrorists however. Best to stay in the EU system and push for improvements, which seems to be May's view and I assume she knows this area a bit better than Fraser.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, depends on the odds, though. My own guess is turnout will be around 62%, so in a below/above 60% market I'd want some tasty odds to jump either way.
  • Options
    Another map :smile:

Paul Kirkby
    To help UK people understand threats from foreign powers in 1909, this showed the effect of gunships in the Thames https://t.co/jIBjBTiGRX
  • Options
    Plato says (8.06am) "(EU) member states cannot even agree on how to spell Arabic names" - that's because the transliterations of Arabic into English and into French differ. That won't change any time soon - why should it?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Following on from Richard Dearlove
    A former CIA director has told Sky News he does not think leaving the European Union would damage the UK's national security.
    Video: http://news.sky.com/video/1666612/ex-cia-boss-on-uk-leaving-eu
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Why would you think it incumbent on the status quo to make out a good case for change? It's for those who want change to make out a good case for it.

Try making a good case for keeping the monarch and i think you'd find all your arguments would be negative
  • Options
    I think this is outrageous. The idiot who accosted a Muslim woman and asked her to explain/justify the Belgian attacks [and subsequently tweeted about it] has now been charged:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35898029

The bloke's an utter fool, but [almost] everyone responded appropriately by mocking the contemptible buffoon. Police action is excessive.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Roger said:

Why would you think it incumbent on the status quo to make out a good case for change? It's for those who want change to make out a good case for it.

Try making a good case for keeping the monarch and i think you'd find all your arguments would be negative
    Remain have already agreed that the status quo is unacceptable, hence Cameron's renegotiation. We are now deciding how much change we should have.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Visited a Tory Leave-leaning friend last night who showed me the BSE leaflet he'd had - a full-colour 4-pager. Neither of us were very impressed but to be fair it was at least 50% positive, including six rather generic claims about X% of businesses trading with the EU, £10 of "trading and other benefits for every £1 spent" and a plug for the benefits of the European Arrest Warrant, which I seem to recall the Tories opposing when we signed it. His view was that "it's a bit UKIP in style - all broad brush exagerrations". But possibly, cynically, they reckon that's what is needed for a rather uninterested public - fight fire with fire etc. The main problem IMO was that it wasn't especially eye-catching - I'm really interested in the subject but it was a bore to plough through it.

His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

Another map :smile:

Paul Kirkby
    To help UK people understand threats from foreign powers in 1909, this showed the effect of gunships in the Thames https://t.co/jIBjBTiGRX

Interesting. Just been involved in a discussion with a friend who frequently visits Holland about the “Battle of Rochester”. The only English one I could find reference to was in the reign of Bad King John, but apparently for the Dutch it’s what we call the “Raid on the Medway" in 1672, when the Dutch almost destroyed the English fleet, or at least such of it as was laid up in the Medway. We make no reference to significant landings, although they do.
  • Options

Visited a Tory Leave-leaning friend last night who showed me the BSE leaflet he'd had - a full-colour 4-pager. Neither of us were very impressed but to be fair it was at least 50% positive, including six rather generic claims about X% of businesses trading with the EU, £10 of "trading and other benefits for every £1 spent" and a plug for the benefits of the European Arrest Warrant, which I seem to recall the Tories opposing when we signed it. His view was that "it's a bit UKIP in style - all broad brush exagerrations". But possibly, cynically, they reckon that's what is needed for a rather uninterested public - fight fire with fire etc. The main problem IMO was that it wasn't especially eye-catching - I'm really interested in the subject but it was a bore to plough through it.

His detached view FWIW was that Remain ought to - also arguably cynically - contrast life in Britain in 1973 with life now and major on "Don't go back to isolation". Obviously withdrawal would not really mean a return to black and white TV etc. but the subliminal message would be that things have got better while we were in the EU and withdrawal was to pull out of that process.

'Don't go back to 1973'. They could do a poster depicting Farage as Gene Hunt - that would be sure to work.
  • Options
    If he gets a jury trial, I hope they acquit him within 30 minutes. It's just beyond stupid.

I think this is outrageous. The idiot who accosted a Muslim woman and asked her to explain/justify the Belgian attacks [and subsequently tweeted about it] has now been charged:

The bloke's an utter fool, but [almost] everyone responded appropriately by mocking the contemptible buffoon. Police action is excessive.

• Options
    This might make it easier to topple Corbyn.

More people are leaving the Labour Party than joining it for the first time since last year’s general election, according to Labour MPs.

Labour critics of Jeremy Corbyn claim that some people who joined the party during the remarkable surge of support for him during and after last year’s Labour leadership contest are starting to drift away. “We seem to have reached a tipping point, with more people leaving than joining,” said one senior Labour figure.

Labour Party HQ refused to comment, saying it did not give a “running commentary” on its membership figures. However, it is understood that the latest official figure is higher than the latest published one of 380,000.

Several Labour MPs told The Independent that their constituency parties had reported a net loss of members in recent weeks. The MPs are being urged to ask missing members to renew their subscription. “It’s a significant straw in the wind,” one MP said. Another added: “We knew some of them [last year’s recruits] would lose interest at some point, but it is happening quicker than we thought.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-membership-falling-jeremy-corbyn-2015-general-election-a6951151.html
  • Options

Indeed. A charge of wasting police time should be laid against the senior officer responsible. Unless, of course, there’s something we haven’t been told.
  • Options
    Batman v Superman. Meh. Enjoyable but not brilliant.

A film that was the less than the sum of its parts.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, indeed.

Leaving aside the police action, it turns a man who should be a figure of fun into one of sympathy.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881

There is a small possibility that there is more to this than just that tweet: the original complaint might have caused the police to dig deeper into what he has been tweeting/saying.

Perhaps.

Sometimes it's worth waiting for the court case for the full fact to come out.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

'Don't go back to 1973'. They could do a poster depicting Farage as Gene Hunt - that would be sure to work.
    I woulldn’t mind going back to ’73 and making a lot of better subsequent decisions.
    Still voting Remain though. That was one of the better ones.
  • Options

More people are leaving the Labour Party than joining it for the first time since last year’s general election, according to Labour MPs.

Labour critics of Jeremy Corbyn claim that some people who joined the party during the remarkable surge of support for him during and after last year’s Labour leadership contest are starting to drift away. “We seem to have reached a tipping point, with more people leaving than joining,” said one senior Labour figure.

Labour Party HQ refused to comment, saying it did not give a “running commentary” on its membership figures. However, it is understood that the latest official figure is higher than the latest published one of 380,000.

Several Labour MPs told The Independent that their constituency parties had reported a net loss of members in recent weeks. The MPs are being urged to ask missing members to renew their subscription. “It’s a significant straw in the wind,” one MP said. Another added: “We knew some of them [last year’s recruits] would lose interest at some point, but it is happening quicker than we thought.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-membership-falling-jeremy-corbyn-2015-general-election-a6951151.html

Doesn't add up. If people joined during the leadership election their membership won't lapse until at least May. More likely to be long standing (and more centrist) members not renewing. This takes the membership leftwards.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

They're out there, they're just being drowned out by all the positives from the leave camp. Or not.
  • Options

• Options

I think it might be the towelhead tweet that got him into trouble with the CPS
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop/King Cole, that's possible.

But I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Doesn't add up. If people joined during the leadership election their membership won't lapse until at least May. More likely to be long standing (and more centrist) members not renewing. This takes the membership leftwards.
    I think you must be right that this is longer-standing members leaving. However it suggests that they no longer outweighed by new people joining.
  • Options

Indeed. A charge of wasting police time should be laid against the senior officer responsible. Unless, of course, there’s something we haven’t been told.
    Speaking and tweeting, unless they directly incite violence, should not be crimes in the first place. But it wasn't the police that made them crimes.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, hmm. Is kaffir [should that be capitalised?] also to be verboten? Is this video acceptable?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcC1QFhJT4

Can Christians say they think non-Christians will go to Hell? Can Muslims call non-Muslims infidels? Can atheists say they think religion's a crock of shit?
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, I agree. Whilst good that Rowan Atkinson et al. managed to get the law's madness reduced, it's still excessive if it allows a twonk to be arrested for tweeting stupidly.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    JackW said:

Aparently, the god fearing bible thumper has been playing away from home with Katrina Pieterson (who now works for Trump), Sarah Flores (worked for Carly and explains why Cruz gave Carly half a million dollars) and Amandda Carpenter who is usually on twiiter a lot but has now gone quite and two others.

If only Cruz had not used Melania in anti Trump ads.

Twenty years ago it took 6 months for the National Enquirer true stories about Gary Hart etc to gain traction. This is no longer the case with social media.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, hmm. Is kaffir [should that be capitalised?] also to be verboten? Is this video acceptable?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcC1QFhJT4

Can Christians say they think non-Christians will go to Hell? Can Muslims call non-Muslims infidels? Can atheists say they think religion's a crock of shit?

They can and they do.

Towelhead is a racist term, so it isn't surprising he's been charged.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Jessop,

"There is a small possibility that there is more to this than just that tweet: the original complaint might have caused the police to dig deeper into what he has been tweeting/saying."

Possibly, but that doesn't help matters. It would mean that they saw a tiny wisp of smoke, suspected fire and dug deeper. It sounds good but .... Why him? There were thousands of far more important cases in Rotherham for instance, but that was a case for a blind eye to a raging fire.

Life isn't fair, but obvious and selective unfairness does irritate.

Or back in the real world, being a bit of knob head was never a crime. There'd be few MPs left in the general community otherwise.
  • Options
    I suppose for people (outside Northern Ireland) who remember 1973, the main problem would be over mighty trade unions. But, that problem was sorted by Mrs. Thatcher.

That aside, I think most people who were around at that time think it was a pretty good time to be alive.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I suppose for people (outside Northern Ireland) who remember 1973, the main problem would be over mighty trade unions. But, that problem was sorted by Mrs. Thatcher.

That aside, I think most people who were around at that time think it was a pretty good time to be alive.

I was. It was probably better than any previous time but things are far better now.
  • Options
    The Guardian. Tackling the big issues. https://t.co/XTVah05xnE
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Lottery winners or the equivalent off anyway. Apparently they can now cross several several safe countries and claim asylum here after an illegal entry.

"And last night it was revealed at least 24 of the migrants who made it to the UK hiding in the back of two lorries in recent days have already been set free.
    All 51 stowaways had claimed asylum and the remaining 27 men, women and children who were discovered sneaking into the country were expected to have been let out by last night."

http://tinyurl.com/zsmfgqg
  • Options
    Morris Dancer, I don't know all the details. If he was threatening the Muslim woman, then it's reasonable that he be charged. If all he did was post a racist tweet, then it isn't.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: John Woodcock calls on MPs to rally against Jeremy Corbyn as he warns Labour 'cannot go on like this' https://t.co/k6cqlhLDoo
  • Options
    Hope they're right this time

AP
    BREAKING: Officials say suspect detained Thursday in France linked to Paris attacks ringleader Abaaoud.
  • Options
    Paul Kirkby
    New @YouGov poll. How the British people rate the UK versus other European countries on 9 big issues https://t.co/cGTJ3iy0aG
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Alistair said:

FTPT

How serious is serious? Visible bruising, hospitalisation? Is a card with a threshold to be handed out so all the bullies know exacty what evel of pain either physical or emotional they can go for before they get Ito trouble?

And how about the bullies, will they randomly be given a kicking by a teacher every now and then so they too can dread every day turning up for school expecting their lunch money to be stolen or to be dumped over a fence or a ball kicked so hard at their head when they are not looking their head is driven into a pebble dash wall?

A jolly good idea!

Glad that you liked it. I meant it seriously, though I think your reply is less serious.

There is an informal curriculum at any school alongside the academic curriculum. This involves everything from making and shedding friends, courting, dealing with authority, how to bend and break the rules, which rules matter and how to rub along with people. All essential preparation for real life, and dealing with insults, unpleasant and aggressive behaviour is part of that. Teachers should be aware of what is going on, but if a bully is dealt with by his/her peers then it is a much more effective and useful control mechanism than a teacher having to intervene. It is all part of socialisation.

• Options
    It was great to be a heterosexual white male in 1973, of that there can be no doubt. But discrimination against women, ethnic minorities and homosexuals was rife and perfectly legal. Do we really want to go back to that?
  • Options
    Dr. Fox,

I think there's much truth in that. How would you deal with bullies in adult life, if you never encountered them at school.
  • Options
    Gaius said:

JackW said:

Aparently, the god fearing bible thumper has been playing away from home with Katrina Pieterson (who now works for Trump), Sarah Flores (worked for Carly and explains why Cruz gave Carly half a million dollars) and Amandda Carpenter who is usually on twiiter a lot but has now gone quite and two others.

If only Cruz had not used Melania in anti Trump ads.

Twenty years ago it took 6 months for the National Enquirer true stories about Gary Hart etc to gain traction. This is no longer the case with social media.

If Trump wins, even if the GOP then rallies round, the Democrats are going to have such a feast of attack ads they'll think it's a century of Christmases all come at once.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Remain have already agreed that the status quo is unacceptable, hence Cameron's renegotiation. We are now deciding how much change we should have.
    A silly move by Cameron and done purely for reasons of internal Tory politics. Only diehard rump of Tories were demanding renegotiation and that was only a cover for wanting out. As an ex ad man I'm surprised he didn't think it through. The country have had 30 years to get comfortable with the EU so shaking it up prior to a referendum has made the simple argument 'better the devil you know' much more difficult.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FTPT

A jolly good idea!

Glad that you liked it. I meant it seriously, though I think your reply is less serious.

There is an informal curriculum at any school alongside the academic curriculum. This involves everything from making and shedding friends, courting, dealing with authority, how to bend and break the rules, which rules matter and how to rub along with people. All essential preparation for real life, and dealing with insults, unpleasant and aggressive behaviour is part of that. Teachers should be aware of what is going on, but if a bully is dealt with by his/her peers then it is a much more effective and useful control mechanism than a teacher having to intervene. It is all part of socialisation.

But bullies are not typically "dealt with" by their peers. They make other children's lives hell for their own amusement and get away with it. That's the "lesson" you want to impart, I suppose.

Also, if your "let them sort it out among themselves" approach is good enough for children why not for adults in the workplace or home?
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    In case anyone's interested, Ladbrokes have a couple of other turnout related markets:

7/2 Under 50%
    7/4 50-60%
    7/4 60-70%
    9/2 Over 70%

9/4 Remain wins & Turnout Over 65%
    5/4 Remain wins & Turnout Under 65%
    6/1 Leave wins & Turnout Over 65%
    3/1 Leave wins & Turnout Under 65%
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

A silly move by Cameron and done purely for reasons of internal Tory politics. Only diehard rump of Tories were demanding renegotiation and that was only a cover for wanting out. As an ex ad man I'm surprised he didn't think it through. The country have had 30 years to get comfortable with the EU so shaking it up prior to a referendum has made the simple argument 'better the devil you know' much more difficult.

He was panic-stricken about the Tory right jumping to UKIP and terrified that Ed Miliband would beat him in the GE. He was clearly not thinking straight.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

As a small employer at the time, I don’t recall any significant personal issues over trade unions, or their effect on my life. Heath’s government was began to fall apart later in the year, but overall life was pretty good.
    In retrospect it was towards the end of the good times. Certainly personally.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Morris Dancer, I don't know all the details. If he was threatening the Muslim woman, then it's reasonable that he be charged. If all he did was post a racist tweet, then it isn't.

I don't think he's accused of threatening her, but it can appear alarming if a stranger comes up to you in the street and demands that you "explain" a crime that someone has committed in another country. If he then follows it up by abusing you racially on Twitter, he is certainly pushing the boundary of public order, and if such things became commonplace (equally you can imagine a fundamentalist demanding that random strangers "explain" the Iraq war or tolerance of waterboarding), Britain would be a significantly less pleasant place to live. Many people would have replied "Fuck off" rather than her mild "It's nothing to do with me", and one can see that escalating quickly into a street confrontation.

I'd rather see him prosecuted on that basis - action likely to cause a breach of the peace or something like that. I don't really care if he's got obnoxious views, but pushing them on others should be discouraged.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

Point taken :-)

However, the idea that the Leave side are a plucky band of outsiders is plainly ridiculous.

• Options
    Lots of people thought Labour would win, right up till election night.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2016

Roger said:

Roger said:

He was panic-stricken about the Tory right jumping to UKIP and terrified that Ed Miliband would beat him in the GE. He was clearly not thinking straight.

Everyone or nearly everyone ;) was misled by the polls. Dave was thinking straight, he won the election, now time to lance the boil.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Wanderer said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

A jolly good idea!

But bullies are not typically "dealt with" by their peers. They make other children's lives hell for their own amusement and get away with it. That's the "lesson" you want to impart, I suppose.

Also, if your "let them sort it out among themselves" approach is good enough for children why not for adults in the workplace or home?
    If adults in the workplace or home can't sort it out among themselves, what are they supposed to do? Go crying to the police because they're "offended"?
This discussion has been closed.