Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The woman Farage sacked is 6/4 favourite to succeed him as

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The woman Farage sacked is 6/4 favourite to succeed him as UKIP leader

A big political story before the Easter weekend was the suspension for six months of leading UKIP figure, Suzanne Evans, who for a few days last May was acting leader of the party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Whatever happened to Diane James? She, like Suzanne Evans was impressive.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    "UKIP's Diane James and Chris Wood discussed the suspension of their former deputy chairman of the party, Suzanne Evans, who has lost a High Court bid to overturn the decision.

Diane James, an MEP claimed it was a case of revenge by the former candidate for the London Assembly, saying: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35890520
  • She was on recently saying Suzanne was a woman scorned.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    Adil Rashid didn't go for a boundary in his first over

#Miracle
    Ah the canonisation of Suzanne Evans... if only you knew
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited March 2016
    Any ides what would be a winning score?

It feels 170 ish.
    On topic:

NO !

I'm done with backing "should be no longer than 6-4" favourites for job vacancies that might possibly come up 5 years down the line :D
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    isam said:

the canonisation of Suzanne Evans

Well, she has just been fired.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Steven Wolfe always comes across well - is the 6/1 value?
    I'd say the top two in the betting are unlikely to be in UKIP after the referendum... must be massive value in other candidates
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Not a patch on Diane James in my opinion.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    FPT:
    watford30 said:

RCS, in your opinion, why do you think Tata are losing £1M a day at Port Talbot?

Tata are not really losing 1m a day. The accounting 'loss' will be 1m, but a large chunk of that will be depreciation and amortization. I very much doubt cash outflows at PT exceed more than 50-70m a year - simply because the wage bill at PT isn't going to be more than 500k-1m a week, and if they have negative gross margin (i.e. they sell things for less than cost, even with labour excluded), then the plant would be (or certainly should be) silent.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

the canonisation of Suzanne Evans

Well, she has just been fired.
    groan... :lol:
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Should Farage stand down after the referendum she'll be in no place to stand for leadership.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Going to be chasing a big big total in the cricket. Need vs SA style heroics to win.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Why don't we have a Fine Leg fielder? Seems to be boundary after boundary going to that position?
    ~ 1-2 the top 2 in the betting !
    isam said:

I'd say the top two in the betting are unlikely to be in UKIP after the referendum... must be massive value in other candidates

So you think UKIP are unlikely to have any MPs after the referendum I'm guessing then?
    edited March 2016

Why don't we have a Fine Leg fielder? Seems to be boundary after boundary going to that position?

Dunno, is it a rule that we need to play 2 spinners to get out our four overs btw ? Not sure why we don't use Ali for all 4 overs if not.
    Wicket!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    isam said:

What do you mean by that, or is it just stupid nudge-nudge, wink-wink ?
  • *slight Godwin alert* Even Karl Dönitz lasted longer.
    edited March 2016
    Golden Mo, or as Geoffrey calls him not much of a bowler he is....
    So that would make Farage = Hitler
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    edited March 2016
    NZ well on target for 200.

The problem is that in one of their matches they did not concede a boundary in about their last 5 overs. England need wickets and fast.
    (there's one).

great comment on cricinfo: "Nerveless catch from Mo, who's taken one look at Kane and said "My beard's bigger than yours, son".
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    tlg86 said:

Should Farage stand down after the referendum she'll be in no place to stand for leadership.

Wasn't that the very reason for a six month suspension? So she wasn't eligible to succeed Farage?

UKIP really are a laughing stock. Just the plaything of Farage, the EU's useful idiot.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2016
    I see on the previous thread that the usual suspects are explaining how the economy shrinking by c.3% will be fine. I hope you starve.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    OT What on Earth have The Times done to their website? It's bloody awful.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Dunno, is it a rule that we need to play 2 spinners to get out our four overs btw ? Not sure why we don't use Ali for all 4 overs if not.
    You pick two spinners for the flexibility - sometimes they bowl all 8 overs if there's no swing.
    FPT:
    Pulpstar said:

Let's try a little reverse jinx:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why do we bother playing both Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid btw ?
    I'll ask this before the inevitable "two overs each"
    Why not just Moeen ? His bowling goes for no more than Rashid and he is the better batsman.

edited March 2016

isam said:

Why the constant hostility? It is so tiring. Every time you respond its "stupid" "rubbish" etc etc

I could say the same but why would I bother?

Not agreeing is allowed

I have canvassed with Suzanne for an afternoon and spoke to her about various things.. Personally I agreed with the gist of some of what she said, but if PBers that hate Farage/love Evans heard it, I doubt they would be so fulsome in their praise, and if they heard me or Farage say it, they'd be calling for the tar and feathers

• Chris Grayling doing something useful shocker

Warring Brexit groups have held a secret peace meeting chaired by a cabinet minister after months of bitter infighting, The Sun can reveal.

A very public civil war between the various Eurosceptic factions has blighted the “Out” campaign so far, but insiders say Monday’s talks headed up by Chris Grayling were “incredibly productive”.

Representatives from the Leave.EU group and Grassroots Out met at the Westminster HQ of Vote Leave to try settle their differences ahead of the election watchdog picking one of them to be the official face of “Leave”.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7038196/Eurosceptic-groups-hold-peace-talks-after-months-of-infighting-over-Brexit.html
    matt said:

I see on the usual suspects are explaining how the economy shrinking by c.3% will be fine. I hope you starve.

No people are explaining how a worst-case potential 2% change over a decade is a rounding error compared to our general forecasting or a recession. Which it is.

That's less than an average 0.2% a year. Growth rates vary by more than that from Autumn Statement to the following Budget every year.
    Without the natural charm

Pulpstar said:

You pick two spinners for the flexibility - sometimes they bowl all 8 overs if there's no swing.
    Ok, From all the tourney I've watched Rashid just seems to get spanked every time :)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    matt said:

I see on the previous thread that the usual suspects are explaining how the economy shrinking by c.3% will be fine. I hope you starve.

It shrank 8% under Brown. The Coalition had to massively increase food banks as a consequence.

Or were you one of those bitching about the increase in food banks? Were you hoping they'd starve too?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

*slight Godwin alert* Even Karl Dönitz lasted longer.
    NICIC?

Chris Grayling doing something useful shocker

Warring Brexit groups have held a secret peace meeting chaired by a cabinet minister after months of bitter infighting, The Sun can reveal.

A very public civil war between the various Eurosceptic factions has blighted the “Out” campaign so far, but insiders say Monday’s talks headed up by Chris Grayling were “incredibly productive”.

Representatives from the Leave.EU group and Grassroots Out met at the Westminster HQ of Vote Leave to try settle their differences ahead of the election watchdog picking one of them to be the official face of “Leave”.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7038196/Eurosceptic-groups-hold-peace-talks-after-months-of-infighting-over-Brexit.html

Presumably Michael Gove will come in and reverse everything Grayling has agreed?
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ok, From all the tourney I've watched Rashid just seems to get spanked every time :)
    No mention of spankings please.

I'm still traumatised by Mr Freggles putting the image of Nick Clegg getting spanked for 33k at a time, in my head last night.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He had a brilliant Big Bash. These pitches don't seem to have suited him as much. (He can bat, too, though not as well as Moeen.)
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

The sooner Farage is gone the better. UKIP, to have a future, need to be a party, not a Cult of Nigel.
    England keeping this reasonably tight I think... Might be able to keep it under 190 perhaps.
    edited March 2016

The sooner Farage is gone the better. UKIP, to have a future, need to be a party, not a Cult of Nigel.

How dare you speak that way of the Nations most popular leader according to the gold standard ratings

Anyway, bettingwise, if you think it is a cult of Nigel, look for one of his acolytes as next leader I would say, rather than the two at the top of the betting who hate him
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Presumably Michael Gove will come in and reverse everything Grayling has agreed?
    Post of the day.

I've never really understood how Grayling made it near the top of the Tory party. Am I missing something?
    How many bloody wides have we bowled?
  • Mortimer said:

Post of the day.

I've never really understood how Grayling made it near the top of the Tory party. Am I missing something?
    I still can't believe Grayling was ex SDP.
    Plunkett bags Munro.

Is the ambition for UKIP to have a future or to get out of Europe? The two are mutually exclusive.

Plunkett bags Munro.

Could do with a couple more straight away...
    isam said:

isam said:

Why the constant hostility? It is so tiring. Every time you respond its "stupid" "rubbish" etc etc

Not agreeing is allowed

I have canvassed with Suzanne for an afternoon and spoke to her about various things.. Personally I agreed with the gist of some of what she said, but if PBers that hate Farage/love Evans heard it, I doubt they would be so fulsome in their praise, and if they heard me or Farage say it, they'd be calling for the tar and feathers

No constant hostility here. If you think back over our interactions it's often been quite the opposite. Heck, a few weeks ago I was complimenting and referring people to your blog.

But you should have written your last paragraph, rather than the all-knowing nudge-nudge comment you made.

As for Evans, you seem to have a rather negative view of her for some time. It might help people decide on the likelihood of her succeeding Farage if you expanded on what you know and believe to be the case.

The problem is that if you put the ball anywhere near the batsmen they hit it. Hard. Bowling under that kind of pressure is brutal.
    Ross Taylor in at 5. This is some team.
    DavidL said:

The problem is that if you put the ball anywhere near the batsmen they hit it. Hard. Bowling under that kind of pressure is brutal.
    13.1(2) was as wide as you'll see in T20 not called a wide. In fact it looked identical to the previous wide !
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No mention of spankings please.

I'm still traumatised by Mr Freggles putting the image of Nick Clegg getting spanked for 33k at a time, in my head last night.

Wasn't Clegg the one doing the spanking?

DavidL said:

They are only 111 after 14 overs though. Mini middle innings quagmire.
    DavidL said:

And this is without Brendon McCullum ...who is still good enough to play in this.
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

They are only 111 after 14 overs though. Mini middle innings quagmire.
    It's cricket Jim, but not as we know it.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

It shrank 8% under Brown. The Coalition had to massively increase food banks as a consequence.

Or were you one of those bitching about the increase in food banks? Were you hoping they'd starve too?
    Not that I'm aware of.

Yes it shrank by 8%. Deliberately inflicting further damage in the hope that there is something better seems slightly thoughtless.

DavidL said:

And this is without Brendon McCullum ...who is still good enough to play in this.
    I honestly hope there is therapy for bowlers after this. You are right though. The 7th ball of Rashid's over cost another 4.
    Mr. Isam, a shame for Farage that whenever a constituency gets the opportunity to make him their MP they inexplicably decline.
    England need to get Cory Anderson out of there now or this game is going bye bye.

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

No constant hostility here. If you think back over our interactions it's often been quite the opposite. Heck, a few weeks ago I was complimenting and referring people to your blog.

But you should have written your last paragraph, rather than the all-knowing nudge-nudge comment you made.

As for Evans, you seem to have a rather negative view of her for some time. It might help people decide on the likelihood of her succeeding Farage if you expanded on what you know and believe to be the case.
    I don't know any secrets of UKIP, I got into it for a bit, now I cant be bothered.

I don't mean to be negative about Suzanne Evans as she was perfectly nice company when I met her... but I cant think of any reason why she should be even considered as a replacement for Farage, should he need to be replaced (he is the leader with the best ratings from "gold standard" remember), and also, seeing as Farage holds such sway amongst UKIP top brass that he managed to "unresign" I shouldn't think his enemies in the party are that well placed to succeeed him

Evans is a bit of a middle of the road Tory with the hump really I think, maybe even a slight Blairite on some things. I can see why she is popular with non kippers!

• Good afternoon, everyone.

Is the ambition for UKIP to have a future or to get out of Europe? The two are mutually exclusive.
    If LEAVE wins there is no need for UKIP. No wonder Farage is trying hard to lose.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

If LEAVE wins there is no need for UKIP. No wonder Farage is trying hard to lose.
    The last thing Nigel wants to do is kill the goose laying the golden eggs.
    I think England pretty much have this one won, New Zealand have gone nowhere since a decent start.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

I don't know any secrets of UKIP, I got into it for a bit, now I cant be bothered.

I don't mean to be negative about Suzanne Evans as she was perfectly nice company when I met her... but I cant think of any reason why she should be even considered as a replacement for Farage, should he need to be replaced (he is the leader with the best ratings from "gold standard" remember), and also, seeing as Farage holds such sway amongst UKIP top brass that he managed to "unresign" I shouldn't think his enemies in the party are that well placed to succeeed him

Evans is a bit of a middle of the road Tory with the hump really I think, maybe even a slight Blairite on some things. I can see why she is popular with non kippers!

Basically you are a Farage Fan boy. Pathetic.

Isnt it incredible how memes set in on here.. repetition maybe?

LEAVE haven't been closer in the polls since the referendum was called, while Farage is way clear in the leader ratings, but people say he is a drag on the cause and is trying to lose! Why let facts get in the way?

• DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Seeing Paul Nuttall's name always reminds me of Stewart Lee's sketch about him. I don't think even UKIP are stupid enough to elect Nuttall leader.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I just do not understand this idolisation of Suzanne Evans . A political campaigner of even less success than Farage . She went from polling over 2,200 standing as a Conservative in her Merton ward to just over 300 standing as UKIP .
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Although they wouldn't admit it UKIP would probably quite like to see England vote Leave and the overall result be Remain due to Scotland. That would likely give them a big boost in the polls.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    matt said:

If you were told that there was a risk that if things went really badly for you, your income in 10 years' time would be 97.5% of what it would otherwise have been, I think you'd cope.
    edited March 2016

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

Your Gold Standard leader ratings love him too Mickey

As a gesture, you can have Even money with me Carswell OR Evans next UKIP leader.

Your size
    Full tosses clearly the way forward.

This over is surely the T20 equivalent of Trump vs Clinton. The bowling is bad, but the batting is worse !
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

At least your average man in the street has heard of our leader.
    DavidL said:

England need to get Cory Anderson out of there now or this game is going bye bye.

Well so far so good - I think they would have taken the current score.
    What an over from Stokes....
  • Just when you thought the GOP race couldn't get more amusing

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/715189100148600834
    F1: Alonso may have to miss Bahrain, as a precaution following the substantial Australia crash.
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

Of all prominent UKIP speakers, I think she's second-best. An informal ranking (which may change as I hear new things from them) would be:

1) Carswell
    2) Evans
    3) Farage
    4) James

Naturally, political biases and presentation preferences play into that. Also her work on the 2015 manifesto was very good (as I said before the election). A world better than the 2010 mess.
    Democrat Delegate estimate:

Clinton 2290 Sanders 1761

Clinton's high point estimate was 2385 a couple of weeks back.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Suzanne Evans might be the best possible voice for Brexit. Boris is floundering, Gove is divisive (check Farage, Galloway) but Evans passes the normal test. An affluent sounding southerner might not be the best person to be the next Ukip leader but for the rather misanthropic looking leave campaign might be just the tonic.
    NEw Zealand have ch ch ch ch chooooooked here.

Suzanne Evans might be the best possible voice for Brexit. Boris is floundering, Gove is divisive (check Farage, Galloway) but Evans passes the normal test. An affluent sounding southerner might not be the best person to be the next Ukip leader but for the rather misanthropic looking leave campaign might be just the tonic.

Well the organisations have had a 'make up' meeting. Hope logic and not personalities has won.
    edited March 2016
    Stokes you the man.....A good old Kiwi doing the business for us...
  • Pulpstar said:

So, if the election is, Clinton v GOP Unity Candidate v Trump running as an Independent, who wins?
    weejonnie said:

Well the organisations have had a 'make up' meeting. Hope logic and not personalities has won.
    We'll be able to tell shortly.
    edited March 2016

Pulpstar said:

So, if the election is, Clinton v GOP Unity Candidate v Trump running as an Independent, who wins?
    Hillary Rodham Clinton. Very very easily.
    Pulpstar said:

We still have to bat yet (hand over eyes)....

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

Of all prominent UKIP speakers, I think she's second-best. An informal ranking (which may change as I hear new things from them) would be:

1) Carswell
    2) Evans
    3) Farage
    4) James

Naturally, political biases and presentation preferences play into that. Also her work on the 2015 manifesto was very good (as I said before the election). A world better than the 2010 mess.
    Each to their own!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

Clinton by landslide.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hillary Rodham Clinton. Very very easily.
    Thanks, despite my best attempts, I still have an anti-Trump bias built in, and need some reassurance.
  • Pulpstar said:

We still have to bat yet (hand over eyes)....
    New Zealand are great at defending a total.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not agreeing is allowed

1) Carswell
    2) Evans
    3) Farage
    4) James

It depends what you are looking for. If it is a 15-20% niche of the electorate then Farage is rather good. The referendum is of course about a 50% minimum which is where I think Evans could be effective. It also goes without saying that there is a distinct lack of prominent women in British politics and I can't imagine Dave v Boris is too exciting for a lot of the female electorate in particular.

F1: Alonso may have to miss Bahrain, as a precaution following the substantial Australia crash.

That's a shame, but not exactly surprising. He was very, very lucky.

He probably wouldn't have survived that twenty years ago. (Although Brundel's Oz crash in 1996 was, I think, similar and in the same place on the circuit. He split his car in two.)

Alonso's had more than his fair share of massive shunts. It must play on his mind.
    Phenomenal bowling by Stokes at the end.
  • Evans seems an incredibly poor favourite to me. She doesn't seem to have much support within the party.

I can't see Farage being ousted any time soon so therefore the likely scenarios are as follows:

Leave wins and he steps down in triumph
    Remain wins and he steps down a la Salmond
    Remain wins and he steps down prior to the next European elections (2017 or 18)
    Remain wins and he steps down after the next European elections (2019)
    Remain wins and he goes on past the 2020 GE

In the remain scenarios one of the MEPs such as Nuttall or Woolfe is the likely successor
    In the leave scenario it is less clear as the MEPs will all be out of a job likely in 2019. Could Reckless lead the party from the Welsh Assembly?

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    Pulpstar said:

You are DavidL and I claim my £5

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Clinton by landslide.
    Indeed, all sorts of states come into play in that scenario. Cruz might take Texas... Mitt Romney Utah, Wyoming for either. Past that I'm struggling to see safe GOP states. Some states might not allow Trump on the ballot, so possibly the GOP can take those if they're naturally red... Missouri, Indiana and a whole bunch of others surely go though (If Trump is on the ballot in each of them)
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hillary Rodham Clinton.
    What an awesome betting contest that would be.

Back of the fag packet odds;

Clinton 1/5
    GOP(unity) 8/1
    Trump 16/1
This discussion has been closed.