Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A betting market on the size of Donald Trump’s non flaccid

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited April 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A betting market on the size of Donald Trump’s non flaccid manhood sums up the weirdness of the GOP nomination race

Betting on the Republican nominee and related markets has been a mix of the interesting, surreal and downright bizarre. The betting overreaction to Marco Rubio finishing third in Iowa and becoming the favourite for the nomination was a particular highlight and profitable for many.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited April 2016
    First! When I hear the word flaccid I think of Bad Boys 2...
  • Options
    I did delicately introduce this market to PBers several days ago.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2016
    How can I put this? ..... There's an overround on this market of 28%, so my advice would be not to touch it with a large barge pole.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    edited April 2016
    Nothing on the Observer's lead headline about LEAVE taking a 4% lead?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/02/eu-referendum-young-voters-brexit-leave

"In a blow to David Cameron and the pro-EU camp, the online survey by Opinium puts the Leave side on 43%, four points ahead of Remain, on 39%. Some 18% of voters said they were undecided, while 1% refused to say."

The 1% refusing to say are probably LEAVE too.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    On topic it's not quite correct to say this: 'despite him comfortably winning the plurality of delegates.'

He has only 'won' the delegates in an uncontested convention. If Trump fails to get around 1200 (the figure which would probably enable him to cross the 1237 line) then after a first ballot they will be free-range delegates and on this point Nate Silver's right: they won't break in favour of Trump.

I know you went on to say this but it's kinda important. They're gonna be free-range delegates if he doesn't cross the line first time of trying.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,916
    Estobar said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/02/eu-referendum-young-voters-brexit-leave

"In a blow to David Cameron and the pro-EU camp, the online survey by Opinium puts the Leave side on 43%, four points ahead of Remain, on 39%. Some 18% of voters said they were undecided, while 1% refused to say."

Is it a phone or an online poll?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

How can I put this? ..... There's an overround on this market of 28%, so my advice would be not to touch it with a large barge pole.

I'm not sure why I would tie up money in a market that looks certain to end up either being voided or (this being Publicity Power) being settled controversially and semi-randomly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Estobar said:

Online, but then you had probably guessed that already.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why is PB stooping so low ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    surbiton said:

Why is PB stooping so low ?

I don't think I've ever seen a market so ridiculous. For that reason it is probably worth mentioning!
  • Options
    gnorngnorn Posts: 14
    Is there no choice for "Yooooge"?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I'm sure this has been pointed out by others before me - but an indication of how up-in-the-air the GOP race still is - is the perpetual underround on betfair.

You can back all three remaining GOP candidates at 1/10 - so long as one of them becomes the nominee, you'll make a 10% return.

In fact you can, currently, back ALL of the ~25 republicans that betfair are offering odds on and *still* make a ~3% ROI. This regularly fluctuates - I've seen it as high as 7.5% at times.

That's bonkers.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    This thread is a load of old cock ....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    JackW said:

It seems to be short on comments: I wonder if we can keep it up?
  • Options
    On this topic, what's the correct way of measuring? Across the top of the member or along the base? ;)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    rcs1000 said:

Estobar said:

I don't think anyone actually phoned trump. Then again, his wife, ex-wives, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, his harem would make a representative online sample. *

* I know the remark was meant for something less interesting.
  • Options

JackW said:

There's stiff competition for who can produce the most elevated comment.
  • Options
    TSE, this must be your finest thread ever.
    The new PB gold standard.
    AV is dead, long live a Donald todger thread.
    Hurrah and huzzah!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

On this topic, what's the correct way of measuring? Across the top of the member or along the base? ;)

Pretty sure it's [(length times diameter) plus (weight divided by girth)] divided by Angle of the tip squared.

I'll get my coat..........
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Estobar said:

Online, but then you had probably guessed that already.
    I assumed it was. TBH, I struggle to get excited about any of the polls. On-line shows small leads for Leave. Phone shows large leads for Remain.

It will be concerning to Remainers than Project Fear has not moved the needle. But then again, maybe the goal is to make sure that Remainers turn up to vote, and it might be quite successful at that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    Would it reach a pig's tonsils?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

It'll be a hard one to judge ....

Meanwhile ....

Wisconsin - Loras College

Cruz 38 .. Trump 31 .. Kasich 18
    Clinton 47 .. Sanders 41

http://www.loras.edu/news/loras-college-poll-finds-cruz-tops-trump-clinton-leads-sanders-tight-race-state-supreme-court-wisconsin/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Which virtually disappears if you ignore the top band, as one imagines you should.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back in the strange fantasy land inhabited by Labour, the Jezziah is one of the greatest political leaders of all time:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/six-months-jeremy-corbyn-already-one-historys-great-opposition-leaders

Despite the fact that everything Mr Young discusses happened in spite of Corbyn, not because of him. For example, tax credit cuts were thrown out by the Liberal Democrats before Corbyn was even elected. (When you are less effective than a party that has a mere 8 MPs, one of them in permanent hiding, and which is being led temporarily by a man facing a court case, you are really not doing well.) Welfare cuts were reversed because of opposition within the government.

The only issues where Corbyn has taken a stand - Trident and Syria - he has not merely lost but been humiliated by splits in his own party. As a result, he has backed down and followed his party on Europe despite his well-documented loathing for the EU.

Instructive though to see what is going through the minds of Corbyn's admirers. It immediately rules out the possibility of a challenge, as they don't want to understand how much of a disaster he is.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Time to consider how the race might go. Starts at 4pm, I think.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,911
    ydoethur said:

Meanwhile, back in the strange fantasy land inhabited by Labour, the Jezziah is one of the greatest political leaders of all time:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/six-months-jeremy-corbyn-already-one-historys-great-opposition-leaders

Despite the fact that everything Mr Young discusses happened in spite of Corbyn, not because of him. For example, tax credit cuts were thrown out by the Liberal Democrats before Corbyn was even elected. (When you are less effective than a party that has a mere 8 MPs, one of them in permanent hiding, and which is being led temporarily by a man facing a court case, you are really not doing well.) Welfare cuts were reversed because of opposition within the government.

The only issues where Corbyn has taken a stand - Trident and Syria - he has not merely lost but been humiliated by splits in his own party. As a result, he has backed down and followed his party on Europe despite his well-documented loathing for the EU.

Instructive though to see what is going through the minds of Corbyn's admirers. It immediately rules out the possibility of a challenge, as they don't want to understand how much of a disaster he is.

AFAIK Tim Farron is the elected leader of the LibDems. He hasn’t stepped down, temporarily of otherwise, and, agaion AFAIK the only LibDem MP who has recently faced a court case has won it. Or at least had it thrown out.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

ydoethur said:

AFAIK Tim Farron is the elected leader of the LibDems. He hasn’t stepped down, temporarily of otherwise, and, agaion AFAIK the only LibDem MP who has recently faced a court case has won it. Or at least had it thrown out.
    Yes, but tax credits was before he was elected. Alistair Carmichael was leading them at the time. His court case was still impending.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Meanwhile ....

Clinton 47 .. Sanders 41

http://www.loras.edu/news/loras-college-poll-finds-cruz-tops-trump-clinton-leads-sanders-tight-race-state-supreme-court-wisconsin/
    Some improvement for Sanders?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is very hard to see this market come to a happy ending without someone being left dis-satisfied.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

It is very hard to see this market come to a happy ending without someone being left dis-satisfied.

No soft landings? or is it just a dysfunctional market?
  • Options

JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

Meanwhile ....

Clinton 47 .. Sanders 41

Some improvement for Sanders?
    The reverse. Three Wisconsin polls last week had Sanders between +4 to +6.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but tax credits was before he was elected. Alistair Carmichael was leading them at the time. His court case was still impending.
    Ah yes. During the Leadership election.
  • Options
    Looks like a dysfunctional market to me.
  • Options
    I certainly wouldn't enter this market without proper protection.
  • Options

I certainly wouldn't enter this market without proper protection.

And make sure your anti-virus is up to date.
  • Options
    Nice little payoff this morning £5 at 18/1 on Betfairs handicap PL win with Leicester +45.

Skybet still has Leicester 33/1 to win next season, down from 50/1 but still good value I think. It is unusual to win consecutive years, but I can see little evidence that there will be a return to normality next year.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

I should have thought it was easy to see what's in the mind of Corbyn's supporters. They are of two kinds: ex-Trotskyists and oppositionists. Those who wish to run a social democratic government have had their turn, and what happened? They took us into a war which few to the left of Thatcherites had any time for & they had to deal with a financial crisis greater than any of them had lived through.

There's no wonder that JC has toyed with the idea of running less than 300 candidates next time - few Labour members believe that social democracy is viable to-day. The more political division becomes based on ethnicity, gender and sexuality the less class matters. It may well be that representative democracy is no longer effective, either here or in the USA.
  • Options
    Betting Post
    F1: pre-race piece, with two exciting tips, is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/bahrain-pre-race.html

Will I manage to identify and then ignore winning bets yet again?
  • Options
    In these days of sexual equality, could we also have a market for the length of speculum required for Hilary?
  • Options
    I liked this piece by Will Self (although it is far longer than necessary). I wonder if he was forced to read a Thesaurus as a child?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35943798
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    An insiders' market.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    So is this what makes the difference between an Honourable Member and a Right Honourable Member?

I am also reminded of an old joke:

'I've got a 12-inch, but I don't use it as a rule.'
  • Options

There's no wonder that JC has toyed with the idea of running less than 300 candidates next time - few Labour members believe that social democracy is viable to-day. The more political division becomes based on ethnicity, gender and sexuality the less class matters. It may well be that representative democracy is no longer effective, either here or in the USA.

I hadn't heard that. Has he really said, in effect, that he's given up on winning the next election already? Madness gone insane if so. Any halfway competent opposition should at least be able to force a hung parliament from here (OK, OK, I know it's Jez we're talking about, but even so)!
  • Options

I liked this piece by Will Self (although it is far longer than necessary). I wonder if he was forced to read a Thesaurus as a child?

Will Self's writing is awful. He's like SeanT without the self-control. ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, it's magnificent. He says nothing, and says it with an awful lot of words.

He's a lexicographical onanist.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Was it Keith Waterhouse who warned aspiring writers against "inelegant variation" resulting from being too keen (or desperate) to avoid repeating a word or phrase?
  • Options
    Mr. L, not sure, but that's often sound advice.

That said, repetition is a pet hate of mine (from either the reading or writing perspective).

At school I was taught to avoid using 'said' because of repetition (which is total nonsense). If anything, excessive non-said words read ridiculously. People declaring, exclaiming, sputtering and so on just becomes a bit tedious.
  • Options

People declaring, exclaiming, sputtering and so on just becomes a bit tedious.

Yes if you have to tell people how someone is feeling it means you can't write.

Show, don't tell, is one of the mantras for good writing.
  • Options

Nice little payoff this morning £5 at 18/1 on Betfairs handicap PL win with Leicester +45.

Skybet still has Leicester 33/1 to win next season, down from 50/1 but still good value I think. It is unusual to win consecutive years, but I can see little evidence that there will be a return to normality next year.

Did you get on at 50-1? Having European football could make things more difficult for Leicester next season, but you're probably right in thinking that the bookies are underestimating Leicester again.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Liam Young overstates the case but Ydoethur understates it. I voted for Corbyn, not as a Trot or oppositionist as Innocent suggests, but to reset the question, "What is the Labour Party for?" other than the vacuous "To win elections". I think it's for social justice and international solidarity, and I trusted Jeremy to give those priority, without using the vicious personal attacks that some on the left (and indeed all sectors of politics) indulge in. I'm satisfied with how he's delivered on all of that, and really enthusiastic about how he's weathered all the abuse without retaliating or losing his temper. I like his style, and that's a more important factor for those of us relatively active in politics than many people think.

As a bonus, Labour has been quite effective on domestic issues, obviously helped by the Government's tiny majority, and the effective block on our getting involved in the Syrian mess has been maintained, Ydoethur's belief that the LibDems were responsible for Osborne backing off on tax credit cuts is not widely shared.

Downsides are that Jeremy isn't a great Parliamentary orator, not something I care about, we have the unresolved Trident stuff, and obviously we're not doing wonderfully in the polls. We tend to do better when the opposition in the PLP SsTFU, as (more or less) now, and I suspect that at some point his internal opposition will try to remove him, fail, and then shut up, push off or just bore everyone into indifference - there is a limit to how many "A former senior Cabinet Minister said privately..." stories the press can be bothered to run. At that point, we'll see. But for now, 4 out of 5.

My personal views are neither here nor there, but as most of the membership is to my left, I suggest it's evidence that any early challenge to Corbyn will indeed fail.
  • Options

Leicester will find it much harder next year given their Champions League commitments. They're almost guarenteed a group place now, as it is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

A will self piece longer than necessary? How unusual for him. Although this one could have been one word long. Or at least one sentence - screen violence, even that which apes realism, is not realistic, and our brains can tell the difference when we see depictions of the real thing and so be suitably disturbed.

Still, I like his writing generally, I enjoy a bit of flowery talk, though there are limits. That he clearly thinks so much of himself makes his thoughts better taken in through the written word than spoken though. So very smug.
  • Options
    Mr. Estobar, in general that's very sound advice. Of course, actually doing that can be tricky...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Was it Keith Waterhouse who warned aspiring writers against "inelegant variation" resulting from being too keen (or desperate) to avoid repeating a word or phrase?
    I think elegant variation is one of the silliest stylistic rules. If one wants to repeat one should damn well repeat.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    I wouldn't bet on the election rise of Trump. Nor would Dr Spooner.
  • Options
    Great to see Stephanie Flanders and Paul Mason showing their true colours on the Marr show this morning.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Might be worth laying Trump
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Very clever.
  • Options

That said, repetition is a pet hate of mine (from either the reading or writing perspective).

At school I was taught to avoid using 'said' because of repetition (which is total nonsense). If anything, excessive non-said words read ridiculously. People declaring, exclaiming, sputtering and so on just becomes a bit tedious.

I was taught the same thing, and it seems pretty much all authors thinks it is nonsense so I don't know why were taught it. Was it an arbitrary rule someone just decided to impose on everyone, like not splitting infinitives (in English) ?

I do still try to mix it up a little while avoiding talking heads syndrome though.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Is this a look squirrel thread to divert attention from Opinium in the Observer (4 point leave lead)...??
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, it's one of those things you get taught which is just tosh. At university, a feminist lecturer (who was nice, she wasn't one of the man-hating loons) referred to 'history' as meaning 'his story' and being a sign of male dominance or suchlike.

I was too polite to point out it's from the Latin 'historia'. Which is feminine...
  • Options

In light of today's thread, perhaps it is worth remembering that Biggles and Ginger were always ejaculating for that very reason.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    If there isn't a Trump branded condom, probably gold and only available in elephant sizes - he's missed his first marketing opportunity.
  • Options
    Incidentally, the first half reads as a rather strong argument for Leave, perhaps without meaning to be.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, in Sherlock Holmes' adventures, at one point a man ejaculates out of a window.

Still, that's Victorian London for you.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

True, though when several people are talking animatedly / shouting / arguing, you have to name more-or-less each one, which in turn requires some kind of verb for each interjection.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    stjohn said:

Clubhouse leader in the innuendo competition.
  • Options
    Cabinet Office
    New plans to boost British steel industry announced: https://t.co/W38dwXAkyO https://t.co/aMtg45HEnN
  • Options
    Nick Palmer [9.18 am] "Social justice" has been a vote loser ever since we became a multi-racial society. No, I don't like that any more than you do. But it's no good going into denial about it.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    taffys said:

Is this a look squirrel thread to divert attention from Opinium in the Observer (4 point leave lead)...??

There is no reason to believe the polls, they themselves have no idea if their "corrections" are correct.. they can only hope that they are less awful than they were at GE2015. I would not trust any poll ever again. Talking to people and hearing what people say is the best guide.

I think people are sick of pollsters and lie to them .

• Options
    edited April 2016
    tlg86 said:

Great to see Stephanie Flanders and Paul Mason showing their true colours on the Marr show this morning.

Not watching. What was said? Sorry - what was expounded?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Made my morning
    The government has ceased funding a British charity which sponsored events accused of promoting hatred and violence against Jews.

The Department for International Development (Dfid) said that it no longer supported War on Want, which helped pay for “Israeli Apartheid Week” in February this year.

War on Want, whose logo appears on publicity materials for Israeli Apartheid Week and the meeting, has received £260,000 in funding from Dfid over the last two years.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/02/charity-backing-anti-israel-rallies-has-state-cash-pulled/
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, in Sherlock Holmes' adventures, at one point a man ejaculates out of a window.

Reminds me of Catholic ejaculation. You know, a short prayer that can repeated as part of a ritual. Ejaculations taking place all throughout a service.

...the tone seems a bit low this morning, I wonder why.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Reminds me of Catholic ejaculation. You know, a short prayer that can repeated as part of a ritual. Ejaculations taking place all throughout a service.

You read the byline, right? :wink:
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Made my morning

The government has ceased funding a British charity which sponsored events accused of promoting hatred and violence against Jews.

The Department for International Development (Dfid) said that it no longer supported War on Want, which helped pay for “Israeli Apartheid Week” in February this year.

War on Want, whose logo appears on publicity materials for Israeli Apartheid Week and the meeting, has received £260,000 in funding from Dfid over the last two years.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/02/charity-backing-anti-israel-rallies-has-state-cash-pulled/

Made my morning

But the scandal is that the taxpayer was ever funding a far left propaganda outfit like this
  • Options

kle4 said:

You read the byline, right? :wink:
    There's a byline? :)
  • Options

There's loads of ejaculation in Holmes.

"Watson!" Holmes ejaculated.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    tlg86 said:

Did you get on at 50-1? Having European football could make things more difficult for Leicester next season, but you're probably right in thinking that the bookies are underestimating Leicester again.
    Yes, I have reinvested some winnings, at 50/1 some each way.

Usually a team that places as highly as Leicester will this year, in first or second place, and having been on top since December would have odds in the region of 5/1 or better. 33/1 is good odds.

Most likely there will be some reversion to the mean, but when you look at Leicesters record over the last year it has been very consistent. There may well be a new mean being set.

• Options
    edited April 2016

Cabinet Office
    New plans to boost British steel industry announced: https://t.co/W38dwXAkyO https://t.co/aMtg45HEnN

I can see a horse galloping away over a far away hill. Or the stern of ship on a far horizon.

Take your pick.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Not watching. What was said? Sorry - what was expounded?
    Mason slagged off the government - his accusation that they're saying one thing and doing another is probably fair. Allison Pearson, the third guest, I think backs leaving the EU and Flanders was firmly on staying in. I see Flanders has a new job at JP Morgan Asset Management which is nice for her.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Made my morning

Made my morning

But the scandal is that the taxpayer was ever funding a far left propaganda outfit like this

Governments seem desperate to give money away to charities, I guess they assume it'll be popular, who doesn't like being charitable? That sometimes it goes to nutters or is flushed down the toilet doesn't seem to occur to them and so checking beforehand.

Are the runners of kids company being charged with anything yet for open admissions either of fraud, or close tonight, wastefulness so ridiculous it should be illegal, and dangerously high levels orvarrogancecand stupidity?
  • Options
    Morning all.
    Watching the Paris marathon on Eurosport. The number of spectators is tiny compared with London.
  • Options

Estobar said:

True, though when several people are talking animatedly / shouting / arguing, you have to name more-or-less each one, which in turn requires some kind of verb for each interjection.
    'Said' does the job just fine. If you're writing good dialogue and prose you don't need to tell readers the feelings that go with it. It's like the dreaded adverbs.

Whilst this isn't the be-all and end-all, it's a very good book on how to write:
    http://www.amazon.com/On-Writing-Anniversary-Edition-Memoir/dp/1439156816

Although this is much funnier:
    http://www.amazon.com/Write-Novel-Them---Misstep---Misstep/dp/0061357952/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459672943&sr=1-1&keywords=How+not+to+write+a+novel
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Good morning.

Articles like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/the-downfall-of-brazils-dilma-rousseff-is-a-blow-to-ambitious-wo/ annoy me intensely. Why should the flaws of one woman mean that all 'ambitious women' are done for?
  • Options

Liam Young overstates the case but Ydoethur understates it. I voted for Corbyn, not as a Trot or oppositionist as Innocent suggests, but to reset the question, "What is the Labour Party for?" other than the vacuous "To win elections". I think it's for social justice and international solidarity, and I trusted Jeremy to give those priority, without using the vicious personal attacks that some on the left (...indulge in. I'm satisfied with how he's delivered on all of that, and really enthusiastic about how he's weathered all the abuse without retaliating or losing his temper. I like his style, and that's a more important factor for those of us relatively active in politics than many people think.

As a bonus, Labour has been quite effective on domestic issues, ...the effective block on our getting involved in the Syrian mess has been maintained, Ydoethur's belief that the LibDems were responsible for Osborne backing off on tax credit cuts is not widely shared.

any early challenge to Corbyn will indeed fail.

Labour can't deliver without winning elections. Blair understood that, but unfortunately he never found out what to deliver when he actually did win (cf Stanley Baldwin and Lord Salisbury).

If you believe that Corbyn is not indulging in vicious personal abuse, you really need to pay more attention. He's not doing it personally, he's getting others - Macdonnell, Abbott, Burgon - to do it for him.

Labour are not delivering on domestic issues. Whether or not my views on the Liberal Democrats are widely shared is irrelevant. Einstein's views on relativity were not widely shared, and were hugely unpopular with his fellow physicists. They also happened to be accurate. This morning, again, Labour have shown their utter haplessness after Lucy Powell got her sums completely wrong over academisation, which should be a free hit for her. If you talk about added costs but not about reduced costs, you end up looking an idiot (not hard in Powell's case of course, as she is an idiot). Their actions over Tata have also veered between the vacillating and the hysterical.

I agree with your final sentence. But please understand, that's because of the refusal of you and people like you to face facts. Don't blame us if this means that Labour is forever standing up for causes you passionately believe in and wholly unable to do anything about them due to having only about 50 MPs.

I do so wish that your first sentence were correct as well. If anything I am being generous to Corbyn. I haven't even talked about the widespread racism he has reintroduced into Labour, or the fact he is operating a clique of wealthy and stupid Marxists in parallel to the official Labour movement, under the command of the truly vile Seamus Milne, a man whom I trust less far than I would David Irving, or his innumerable flipflops on economic policy. But they're all there, and all toxic.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Made my morning

Made my morning

War on Want has been around for ages. Never seemed “far left” to me. Wonder what happened to it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Not seen a thread like this since Biggus Dickus 'ranked' highly in Rome.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Governments seem desperate to give money away to charities

You mean lefty civil servants love giving our money away to their causes. Obviously it is the job of the politicians to know what our money is being spent on, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @foxinsoxuk RE you point regarding next year's EPL: Man City are getting Guardiola, Manchester United are getting Mourinho, and Conte looks to be going to Chelsea. It's also likely that those three teams will be very busy in the summer transfer window. I'd be incredibly shocked if none of those teams improved enough to challenge for the league given the extensive changes they are making.
  • Options

Good morning.

Articles like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/the-downfall-of-brazils-dilma-rousseff-is-a-blow-to-ambitious-wo/ annoy me intensely. Why should the flaws of one woman mean that all 'ambitious women' are done for?

In fairness, it's only a blow to ambitious women whose USP is their gender.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, because that's how identity politics, alas, seems to work.

People should be judged by the content of their character, not the contents of their trousers.
  • Options

There's loads of ejaculation in Holmes.

"Watson!" Holmes ejaculated.
    Well, they did share a flat. And a room, in The Valley of Fear

Clearly there was a subliminal message in all this.
  • Options

@foxinsoxuk RE you point regarding next year's EPL: Man City are getting Guardiola, Manchester United are getting Mourinho, and Conte looks to be going to Chelsea. It's also likely that those three teams will be very busy in the summer transfer window. I'd be incredibly shocked if none of those teams improved enough to challenge for the league given the extensive changes they are making.

You may be proved right with at least one of those, but you should not assume it will happen. This line gets trotted out every year by lazy journalists. Personally I think the team most likely to win next season's Premier League is Tottenham. Possibly the biggest threat to them is losing the manager but I don't think he's going anywhere.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    And just days after War On Want suggested the government cannot save the steel industry owing to the EU-US TTIP deal, but I dare say that is just a coincidence.

HMG supports Remain, I believe. You've been had.

http://www.waronwant.org/media/ttip-means-no-way-back-uk-steel-industry

Made my morning

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

Made my morning

Made my morning

War on Want has been around for ages. Never seemed “far left” to me. Wonder what happened to it.

There's none so blind...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,147
    ydoethur said:

Liam Young overstates the case but Ydoethur understates it. I voted for Corbyn, not as a Trot or oppositionist as Innocent suggests, but to reset the question, "What is the Labour Party for?" other than the vacuous "To win elections". I think it's for social justice and international solidarity, and I trusted Jeremy to give those priority, without using the vicious personal attacks that some on the left (...indulge in.

As a bonus, Labour has been quite effective on domestic issues, ...the effective block on our getting involved in the Syrian mess has been maintained, Ydoethur's belief that the LibDems were responsible for Osborne backing off on tax credit cuts is not widely shared.

any early challenge to Corbyn will indeed fail.

Labour can't deliver without winning elections. Blair understood that, but unfortunately he never found out what to deliver when he actually did win (cf Stanley Baldwin and Lord Salisbury).

If you believe that Corbyn is not indulging in vicious personal abuse, you really need to pay more attention. He's not doing it personally, he's getting others - Macdonnell, Abbott, Burgon - to do it for him.

Labour are not delivering on domestic issues. Whether or not my views on the Liberal Democrats are widely shared is irrelevant. Einstein's views on relativity were not widely shared, and were hugely unpopular with his fellow physicists. They also happened to be accurate. This morning, again, Labour have shown their utter haplessness after Lucy Powell got her sums completely wrong over academisation, which should be a free hit for her. If you talk about added costs but not about reduced costs, you end up looking an idiot (not hard in Powell's case of course, as she is an idiot). Their actions over Tata have also veered between the vacillating and the hysterical.

I agree with your final sentence. But please understand, that's because of the refusal of you and people like you to face facts. Don't blame us if this means that Labour is forever standing up for causes you passionately believe in and wholly unable to do anything about them due to having only about 50 MPs.

I do so wish that your first sentence were correct as well. If anything I am being generous to Corbyn. I haven't even talked about the widespread racism he has reintroduced into Labour, or the fact he is operating a clique of wealthy and stupid Marxists in parallel to the official Labour movement, under the command of the truly vile Seamus Milne, a man whom I trust less far than I would David Irving, or his innumerable flipflops on economic policy. But they're all there, and all toxic.
    Very well said. You only forgot to mention that Labour now seems to be the party of choice for anti-Semites, hardly surprising given that the leader calls so many his friends.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not seen a thread like this since Biggus Dickus 'ranked' highly in Rome.

He was a Silius Soddus, of course.

And I really do have to get my coat as I am off to play the organ at my local church.

You may make of that what you will. But I want to feel some nice hard keys under both hands playing a fantastic thing through its long pipes building to a climax...

Dearie dearie me, why do I chose to play an instrument that has so many double meanings?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @kle4

Its government cuts! (No really - hear me out!)

DFID was required to reduce its headcount like all civil service departments, in one of the early coalition cuts. Similtaneously its budget went up to meet the 0.7% target. The way to square this circle was to devolve a lot of spending to NGO's.

NGO's can be a very effective way of delivering aid, but they do need supervision. Otherwise you get incidents like this.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, because it brings pleasure to hundreds of people every week?
This discussion has been closed.