Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest from the key political betting markets

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest from the key political betting markets

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    What would happen to Ryan's price if he said he was interested? :)
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    2nd like Khan.... Maybe?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Moses_ said:

2nd like Khan.... Maybe?

Funny way to spell Zac
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2016
    Moses_ said:

2nd like Khan.... Maybe?

Highly unlikely. I watched the taxi cab thing of Goldsmith today, and he was bloody awful. Saying that Khan wasn't that much better.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited April 2016
    FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I understand your embarrassingly self-serving arguments only too well.

Just don't understand the need for such attitude, to be honest.

I have not accused you of the self serving position of wanting to stay.

I just wonder whether you have the right sort of objectivity to understand how it will affect the Tory party given you seem to (perhaps deliberately?) misunderstand the arguments of Leavers of all persuasions, display hostility towards Leave posters on here and indeed oppose much of the traditional Tory policy platform.

Because the whole schtick is embarrassingly self-serving. You purport to lament the loss of the Prime Minister's authority because he has the temerity to campaign for what he believes in, but rather than take on or criticise those who are unable to accept that, you are looking at giving your money to ensuring his defeat.

It's reminiscent of "in order to save the village we had to destroy it". But the strategic objective is rather more obvious.
    Self serving because?
    Because your argument, nominally about the Prime Minister's impact on the Conservative party, is really about looking to maximise the chances of a Leave win, which you evidently regard as far more important.

It's fine to disagree with the Prime Minister about the referendum. To argue that he should shut up unless he agrees with you for reasons of party management is absurd - and transparent.
    I care far, far, far more about the Conservative party than our membership of the EU. I am, as I've told you far too many times, a long term Cameroonian. I have only become a Leaver in the last few months.

As I said, might be best for you to stop trying to get into the minds of Leavers Conservatives - you don't seem to be very good at it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Khan beats Zac in BBC 'taxi quiz.' While Khan managed to remember that Crystal Palace played at Selhurst Park, and Embankment follows Charing Cross on the Northern Line, Zac was unable to name which team played at Loftus Road or which station followed Bond Street, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road on the Central Line or where the Museum of London was located, though he did know who the first landlady of the Queen Vic was.

It follows an Evening Standard poll which showed that while more thought Goldsmith had the 'x factor' more also thought Khan would work harder for London

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3524265/Would-London-mayor-Zac-Goldsmith-suffers-embarrassing-fail-struggles-answer-questions-capital.html#ixzz44z0km64n
    'My main betting activity has been on a low turnout.' - I think that is the shrewd position, OGH.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    HYUFD said:

Khan beats Zac in BBC 'taxi quiz.' While Khan managed to remember that Crystal Palace played at Selhurst Park, and Embankment follows Charing Cross on the Northern Line, Zac was unable to name which team played at Loftus Road or which station followed Bond Street, Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road on the Central Line or where the Museum of London was located, though he did know who the first landlady of the Queen Vic was.

It follows an Evening Standard poll which showed that while more thought Goldsmith had the 'x factor' more also thought Khan would work harder for London

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3524265/Would-London-mayor-Zac-Goldsmith-suffers-embarrassing-fail-struggles-answer-questions-capital.html#ixzz44z0km64n

As dumb as asking about the price of milk.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Wanderer said:

If Ryan said he was interested he would be dead in the water. His one route is for indecisive early ballots and the convention with him reluctantly agreeing as a way of getting out of the deadlock
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I just wonder whether you have the right sort of objectivity to understand how it will affect the Tory party given you seem to (perhaps deliberately?) misunderstand the arguments of Leavers of all persuasions, display hostility towards Leave posters on here and indeed oppose much of the traditional Tory policy platform.

Because the whole schtick is embarrassingly self-serving. You purport to lament the loss of the Prime Minister's authority because he has the temerity to campaign for what he believes in, but rather than take on or criticise those who are unable to accept that, you are looking at giving your money to ensuring his defeat.

It's reminiscent of "in order to save the village we had to destroy it". But the strategic objective is rather more obvious.
    Self serving because?
    Because your argument, nominally about the Prime Minister's impact on the Conservative party, is really about looking to maximise the chances of a Leave win, which you evidently regard as far more important.

It's fine to disagree with the Prime Minister about the referendum. To argue that he should shut up unless he agrees with you for reasons of party management is absurd - and transparent.
    I care far, far, far more about the Conservative party than our membership of the EU. I am, as I've told you far too many times, a long term Cameroonian. I have only become a Leaver in the last few months.

As I said, might be best for you to stop trying to get into the minds of Leavers Conservatives - you don't seem to be very good at it.
    Yet you're considering giving your Conservative party subscription to Vote Leave.

I'm a bit better at getting inside your head than you are yourself, it seems.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

If Ryan said he was interested he would be dead in the water. His one route is for indecisive early ballots and the convention with him reluctantly agreeing as a way of getting out of the deadlock
    OK, I'll rephrase. What would happen if he delicately implied via surrogates that he doesn't want the nomination, no sir, but couldn't refuse his country's call if it came?
  • Moses_ said:
    Will this be a 'Judge led' one?
    We should be told.
    The betting implies at least a 27% chance of the Republicans junking their rulebook to stop Cruz and Trump.
    edited April 2016

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Self serving because?

Yet you're considering giving your Conservative party subscription to Vote Leave.

Again, nice soundbite, but no basis in reality.

I think you have to be a party member to understand what it feels like to worry so much about the future of your party that you look to outside help to shape it for future success.
  • Wanderer said:

Ryan needs to give us a real clue.
    If he could say 'I have no ambitions in that direction'
    That would be very helpful.
    edited April 2016

Moses_ said:
    We should be told.
    I always wondered what Ed Miliband thought an inquiry was - given his need to add 'Judge led' to every call for one.
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Self serving because?

I think you have to be a party member to understand what is feels like to worry so much about the future of your party that only you look to outside help to shape it for future success.
    I think you have to stop kidding yourself.

You're a Cameroon who wants to silence and remove David Cameron. You're a passionate Conservative party supporter who is refusing to pay your subscription because of David Cameron's handling of the referendum question.

Actions not words say everything.

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Self serving because?

I think you have to be a party member to understand what is feels like to worry so much about the future of your party that only you look to outside help to shape it for future success.

You're a Cameroon who wants to silence and remove David Cameron. You're a passionate Conservative party supporter who is refusing to pay your subscription because of David Cameron's handling of the referendum question.

Or, shock horror, I think he has made the wrong call about the 'deal' and that it is, along with too much faith in a poor chancellor, leading the party to disaster. And that the best way to get back on the right track is for him to take early retirement.

Have you ever been a member of a political party?

Moses_ said:

2nd like Khan.... Maybe?

Highly unlikely. I watched the taxi cab thing of Goldsmith today, and he was bloody awful. Saying that Khan wasn't that much better.
    Khan did get most questions right though
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Self serving because?

Your arrogance really knows no bounds, does it?

HYUFD said:

Perhaps but many Londoners would have known the answers to those questions
  • Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:
    We should be told.
    I always wondered what Ed Miliband thought an inquiry was - given his need to add 'Judge led' to every call for one.
    I guessed that it was from his clubbing days.
    As long as Judge Jules was playing, it would be a banging night.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Looks like we have our first Statement of Persons Nominated for the May elections:

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=15366&p=0

Mortimer said:

Moses_ said:
    We should be told.
    I guessed that it was from his clubbing days.
    As long as Judge Jules was playing, it would be a banging night.
    Post of the Day!

Jules played our college ball.

I was too busy dealing with some egg-throwing fools to take it in....
    “Have you benefited from tax avoidance?” is a pretty straightforward question. If the answer really is no, then why didn't Cameron just say it? If the answer is yes, then he has a massive problem.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    runnymede said:

Self serving because?

Shrieky knows best.
    Mortimer said:

Or, shock horror, I think he has made the wrong call about the 'deal' and that it is, along with too much faith in a poor chancellor, leading the party to disaster. And that the best way to get back on the right track is for him to take early retirement.

You could have saved us a lot of time if you'd admitted early on that being on the "right" side of the referendum was of paramount importance. But we got there in the end.
    edited April 2016

“Have you benefited from tax avoidance?” is a pretty straightforward question. If the answer really is no, then why didn't Cameron just say it? If the answer is yes, then he has a massive problem.

The question isn't, as it is very open ended... Eg you could benefit from parents organising their affairs in advance of their death to minimize their exposure to IHT...the child will benefit but had no say in that.

I would think that everybody will have somewhere down the line have had a family member organise their affairs to be tax efficient & 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand you benefitted. Even getting a birthday gift from them you have.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,026
    Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Self serving because?

Worth noting of course that Steve Hilton, who I still admire (his book "More Human" is simply terrific and a must read) is a Leaver and you can't get more Cameroon than him.

He was the brains behind the whole thing. It's things like Cameron's establishment view on the EU that led to Hilton quitting.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

If he has ever had an ISA he has 'benefitted' from tax avoidance. Got tax relief on pension contributions. Claimed gift aid on donations to charity. He can't be held responsible for what his father did or didn't do.

Desperate efforts to pin something, anything, on Cameron tonight.

(Anyone with an ISA has benefited from Tax Avoidance).
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    I'm not sure aces in sleeves will be sufficient for Zac. Maybe if he wasn't so far off the pace they'd do the trick.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what?

The football question is a football question not even a London question. As for the Tube, I use the Jubilee line every day and to me the sequence of stations goes North Greenwich, read for a bit, London Bridge, read a bit more, Westminster, Green Park, Waterloo.
    watford30 said:

LOL an ISA is just the same as an overseas Tax Haven Investment Trust.

Really is that your real opinion.

Mortimer said:

You could have saved us a lot of time if you'd admitted early on that being on the "right" side of the referendum was of paramount importance. But we got there in the end.
    Is anyone allowed to troll or just the staff?
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

But that is the "simple" question you said was asked & said could be easily answered...Cameron has said him & his direct family have simple affairs, if he is found not to he will be in trouble, but somebody has to show that.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The tube line questions were interesting. The Northern Line goes to Tooting, but Zacs constituency is not on the Central line is it?

Mind you Zac always strikes me as a posh boy on an extended gap year.

watford30 said:

What is the practical difference?
    alex. said:

watford30 said:

What is the practical difference?
    At a guess, BJO has an ISA.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Is your opinion that an ISA isn't a tax avoidance vehicle?
    Jimmy Carr tax arrangements 'morally wrong', says David Cameron
    Cameron criticises comedian but says he has not had time to look at allegations about singer Gary Barlow's tax affairs

Or his Dads?
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

The question related to 'Tax Avoidance'. Nothing more specific. And anyone with an ISA would have to say Yes.

Cameron criticises comedian but says he has not had time to look at allegations about singer Gary Barlow's tax affairs

Or his Dads?

Please give us chapter and verse about your father's tax arrangements.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited April 2016
    runnymede said:

Self serving because?

Neither does your quoting ability :)

Or his Dads?

Do you know of all the details of all your relatives business dealings, especially dead one you can't ask?
    Has Sadiq said that he will step down as an MP if he wins? Or will he double up?

If he keeps his seat he could be a good punt for next leader.

Or his Dads?

Do you know of all the details of all your relatives business dealings, especially dead one you can't ask?
    It's really no different to questioning Ed Miliband about his fathers loyalty to the UK.

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

I have never benefited from any overseas tax haven avoidance by my father.

Easy see
    edited April 2016
    in regards Cameron I would be shocked if he has left himself exposed on this stuff. This story isn't new, it has been public since 2012...also remember how despite lots of smears attempts on his expenses claims there was nothing there either as if he had been very careful with arranging things.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what?

The football question is a football question not even a London question. As for the Tube, I use the Jubilee line every day and to me the sequence of stations goes North Greenwich, read for a bit, London Bridge, read a bit more, Westminster, Green Park, Waterloo.
    It is a London football club and you are not running for Mayor of London or to run the London tube network. It of course is not decisive but just adds to the impression Khan is putting in more effort and knows more about the City
  • Has Sadiq said that he will step down as an MP if he wins? Or will he double up?

He originally said he would remain an MP, but then decided he would stand down as an MP.

One of the shrewdest minds in British politics urged him not to stand down as an MP and tipped him as next Lab leader at 33/1

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/10/why-sadiq-khan-shouldnt-resign-as-an-mp-were-he-to-become-london-mayor/

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    But did you vote for a man who executed of a deed of variance on his father's will?
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

The question related to 'Tax Avoidance'. Nothing more specific. And anyone with an ISA would have to say Yes.

Indeed the ad banner on here links to:

http://www.hl.co.uk/partners/search/stocks-and-shares-isa?theSource=DXGCI&Override=1&adg=GR+ICR+CLI+FMI+MDN&gclid=CIOYxIGq-MsCFQPgGwodLvcCLw

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The tube line questions were interesting. The Northern Line goes to Tooting, but Zacs constituency is not on the Central line is it?

Mind you Zac always strikes me as a posh boy on an extended gap year.
    Zac claimed he takes the Central Line regularly. Zac inherited £250 million from his father so he could afford a permanent gap year, his only job outside politics was editing a relative's magazine
    edited April 2016

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Still not answering tax avoidance question...not easy see...no is as, no pension planning, no IHT planning, etc etc etc. Unless you have seen every single bank statement, pay slip, etc etc etc of your father you can't say yes or no for certain.
    chestnut said:

Actually my opinion is the same as Daves re Jimmy Carrs tax have scheme.

ie describing him as "morally wrong" for seeking to avoid taxes

Surely he thinks his Dads is the same?

Has Sadiq said that he will step down as an MP if he wins? Or will he double up?

He originally said he would remain an MP, but then decided he would stand down as an MP.

One of the shrewdest minds in British politics urged him not to stand down as an MP and tipped him as next Lab leader at 33/1

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/10/why-sadiq-khan-shouldnt-resign-as-an-mp-were-he-to-become-london-mayor/
    I have a few quid on him.

I also wondered if a Tooting byelection could be a way back to Parliament for Ed Balls, or another big beast.
    chestnut said:

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    But did you vote for a man who executed of a deed of variance on his father's will?
    Owls wanted the Inheritance Tax avoider to be Prime Minister.

Mortimer said:

Again, simple failure to understand the difference between

a) someone who is a committed leaver
    b) someone like me, who was persuadable for Remain if the deal was any good

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    How do you know?
    Cheered me up a little bit.

Goodwin is clearly for Remain, and trying to shake them out of their complacency, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

chestnut said:

Is it any worse than the behaviour of the Miliband family, the Livingstone Personal Services company, the Benn Inheritance?
    edited April 2016
    I've long held a theory that swing voters don't mind tax minimisation (of the legal kind) amongst the right.

But HATE it of the left, because they're always banging on about it to a boring extent.

Always the hypocrisy/cover up which gets people....
    edited April 2016

chestnut said:

The "morally wrong" line about Jimmy Carr wasn't because he was engaging in tax avoidance. The scheme he was using was, after all, trying to exploit laws set up by the Government of the day specifically to encourage tax avoidance to encourage investment in certain industries (usually films). What is arguably "morally wrong" is when the purpose of using the scheme is not actually because you have any real interest in investing in the industry in question but simply because you can exploit it to benefit personally.
  • Cheered me up a little bit.

Goodwin is clearly for Remain, and trying to shake them out of their complacency, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
    Is that Professor Matthew Goodwin who before last year's election said UKIP had four seats in the bag?
    His Oxfordshire home? He didn't mention that which I thought was weird.

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Still not answering tax avoidance question...not easy see...no is as, no pension planning, no IHT planning, etc etc etc. Unless you have seen every single bank statement, pay slip, etc etc etc of your father you can't say yes or no for certain.
    Its very easy

The prospect of a sitting Prime Minister having benefitted from offshore funds stashed there so as to avoid tax is a frightening one. Though this may do the Prime Minister some short-term political damage, avoiding an honest and direct answer does more harm in the long-term.

When the same question was posed yesterday, the Prime Minister's spokesperson replied that it was 'a private matter'. But realistically it isn't. This is a very public matter and interest in it has been fuelled primarily by the Prime Minister himself. His shady-sounding answer has only fuelled calls for clarification and further statements.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

in regards Cameron I would be shocked if he has left himself exposed on this stuff. This story isn't new, it has been public since 2012...also remember how despite lots of smears attempts on his expenses claims there was nothing there either as if he had been very careful with arranging things.

Same here.
    I am sure he was informed in 2010 of his fathers affairs by his legal team in in the probate and will process .
    Could they have used the Blind trust process ?
    As Cameron usually goes where Blair went.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what?

It is a London football club and you are not running for Mayor of London or to run the London tube network. It of course is not decisive but just adds to the impression Khan is putting in more effort and knows more about the City
    I don't see why being able to recite the exact sequence of tube stations makes one more suited to run TfL. If it did, we'd elect Geoff Marshall.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    I really do find the wealthy grubbing around looking for tax savings rather pathetic really- the wealthier, the uglier it becomes because it shows them to be such greedy, grasping, little vultures who hate giving away anything.

There was a story about Ronnie Corbett gifting his house to avoid inheritance. Sorry, what is the problem in paying tax on one's inheritance, and why would go to such lengths to move house to avoid paying it?

I really cannot be arsed looking for any kind of tax savings, ISA's, pensions, or whatever. I did a few years ago, but the whole thing makes you feel a bit dirty.

Tax is something you pay on something you earn, so just pay it, and behave like a man, not some scummy, tax dodging, greedy grasper.

Or his Dads?

edited April 2016

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

The prospect of a sitting Prime Minister having benefitted from offshore funds stashed there so as to avoid tax is a frightening one. Though this may do the Prime Minister some short-term political damage, avoiding an honest and direct answer does more harm in the long-term.

When the same question was posed yesterday, the Prime Minister's spokesperson replied that it was 'a private matter'. But realistically it isn't. This is a very public matter and interest in it has been fuelled primarily by the Prime Minister himself. His shady-sounding answer has only fuelled calls for clarification and further statements.
    I said on previous thread the private matter answer was dumb, but you are answering a different question to the "easy" one that was asked...

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

Have you personally ever benefitted from any tax avoidance scheme? Straightforward question.

Is that Professor Matthew Goodwin who before last year's election said UKIP had four seats in the bag?
    I'm not sure many of us have records to crow about from last year. You could add Kellner, Fisher and countless others to the list.

Hell, even the exit poll showed UKIP on 2 seats.
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Is it any worse than the behaviour of the Miliband family, the Livingstone Personal Services company, the Benn Inheritance?
    Surely that's 'Good' tax avoidance, like the Mills donation to Labour.
  • Cheered me up a little bit.

I'm not sure many of us have records to crow about from last year. You could add Kellner, Fisher and countless others to the list.

I'm writing a thread on the value of bad predictions.

My best prediction from the last parliament was for the Lib Dems to make net gains in 2015.

(It was 2013 and it made sense at the time)
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You crossed whatever Rubicon you had to cross a long time ago. Now you want to oust David Cameron because he campaigns for Remain and pay money to Vote Leave in preference to the Conservatives.

Tell yourself whatever you like: it's clear what's most important to you from your actions.

Yorkcity said:

Same here.
    I am sure he was informed in 2010 of his fathers affairs by his legal team in in the probate and will process .
    I seemed to remember he was only left a modest amount in the will, other relatives got more. Perhaps they arranged things with possible pm status in mind.
    tyson said:

I really do find the wealthy grubbing around looking for tax savings rather pathetic really- the wealthier, the uglier it becomes because it shows them to be such greedy, grasping, little vultures who hate giving away anything.

There was a story about Ronnie Corbett gifting his house to avoid inheritance. Sorry, what is the problem in paying tax on one's inheritance, and why would go to such lengths to move house to avoid paying it?

I really cannot be arsed looking for any kind of tax savings, ISA's, pensions, or whatever. I did a few years ago, but the whole thing makes you feel a bit dirty.

Tax is something you pay on something you earn, so just pay it, and behave like a man, not some scummy, tax dodging, greedy grasper.

Or his Dads?

It's almost as pathetic as the whining about the currency exchange losses you're enduring.

'I really cannot be arsed looking for any kind of tax savings, ISA's, pensions, or whatever. I did a few years ago, but the whole thing makes you feel a bit dirty.'

Was it too difficult for you to understand?

My best prediction from the last parliament was for the Lib Dems to make net gains in 2015.

I said hung parliament was a 'risk free' bet in April 2015 to a friend of mine, who has a PhD in maths and hates betting/gambling on the grounds you always lose in the long run.

He hasn't let me forget it.

EICIPM
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what?

I don't see why being able to recite the exact sequence of tube stations makes one more suited to run TfL. If it did, we'd elect Geoff Marshall.
    [swaggering] I've visited every single station on the London Oystercard map (nearly 700!), except for [unswaggering] two of the stations Boris added in 2015/16: Salfords and Horley, both on the Gatwick line.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Actually, I find the tax avoidance carried out by lefties particularly revolting and horrible. At least right wingers have the excuse of hating to give their money away money to the state to be spent badly. There is a consistency in that argument.

Lefty tax avoiders want the state to spend money as long as it is anyone else's except their own.
    watford30 said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So what?

It is the impression it creates that Khan is more prepared to put in the hard graft needed to get the role and is a 'real Londoner', Zac is telegenic but lacks the popular touch of Boris which would help him brush this off
    alex. said:

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

Have you personally ever benefitted from any tax avoidance scheme? Straightforward question.
    It is.

Pity Dave tries to avoid answering.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    BTW, in official TfL parlance, the Tube line names have a small case "l" for "line":

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Northern_line_mixed_case_line_diag.JPG/250px-Northern_line_mixed_case_line_diag.JPG

(photo taken by yours truly many moons ago)
    edited April 2016

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You crossed whatever Rubicon you had to cross a long time ago. Now you want to oust David Cameron because he campaigns for Remain and pay money to Vote Leave in preference to the Conservatives.

Tell yourself whatever you like: it's clear what's most important to you from your actions.

No, I want Cameron replaced, in due course, because he has shafted his party.

Never been in a political party then?
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited April 2016

Yorkcity said:

Same here.
    I seemed to remember he was only left a modest amount in the will, other relatives got more. Perhaps they arranged things with possible pm status in mind.
    I would have thought so , as in 2010 most people thought there was going to be a conservative majority government, so would be sensible to arrange accordingly.

alex. said:

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

It is.

So what's the answer?
    tyson said:

Actually, I find the tax avoidance carried out by lefties particularly revolting and horrible. At least right wingers have the excuse of hating to give their money away money to the state to be spent badly. There is a consistency in that argument.

Lefty tax avoiders want the state to spend money as long as it is anyone else's except their own.

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Equally bad IMO
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016
    but I do wonder whether the Lynton Crosby Tory campaign might have some aces up their sleeves for the final month.
    But what if those "aces" turn out to be so egregiously offensive that they just turn out the Labour vote in even greater numbers?

The Republican/UKIP-style campaign of painting Khan as an Islamist sympathiser might've been an effective strategy in a UK-wide election, where the average swing voter is undeniably quite socially conservative - but it's never been clear to me why it makes sense for London where there is a fundamental Labour majority, and where a good number of the swing voters are socially-liberal City types who, while maybe not enamoured of traditional leftist "soak the rich" policies, do not really want to associate themselves with race-baiting campaigns either.
    looking at tweets, 99% certain staines is talking about Oxfordshire house when he said about family asset.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I wouldn't expect anyone to know every tube station in London.

But not knowing the stations on the Central Line in the very middle of London does give the impression of someone who knows very, very little about London.
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

It is.

So what's the answer?
    No for me (except ISAs)

Now its yours and Daves turn
    edited April 2016

alex. said:

alex. said:

Or his Dads?

PAYE all his life

Easy see
    Its very easy

It is.

So what's the answer?
    No for me (except ISAs)

Now its yours and Daves turn
    So "yes" then. Same answer for me.

Ever made any optional pension contributions?
    edited April 2016
    "Daves decision today to take no further questions has only raised the eyebrows of commentators and the public alike. If the Prime Minister has nothing to hide from, he should release relevant documents and confirm neither he or anyone in his direct family benefits from the proceeds of offshore tax avoidance wrangling.

Let’s give Cameron one final chance to state his position before we send him to the naughty step. If he does choose to supply a straight answer, great. If he doesn't, then the inquiry that Jeremy Corbyn called for earlier today should be given every resource to investigate and clarify for us. Because if we’re really all in this together, then there can’t be one rule for him and one rule for the rest of us".
This discussion has been closed.