Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so the 2016 White House Race moves to delegate-rich New

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so the 2016 White House Race moves to delegate-rich New York

In recent days there’s been a big improvement in Trump’s betting position following his disappointment in Wisconsin two weeks when he dropped to below a 50%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2016
    First XV Team
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second like Leave
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I feel cheated by the Democratic race - it's so close to actually being, well, close, and therefore fun, but when it matters, Hillary has that edge. That dull, dull edge.
  • Options
    Brilliant, in time for PMQs too.

Labour's John McDonnell has backed thousands of teachers and nurses to walk out on strike and vowed to bring down the Government through direct action.

In an incendiary speech, the Shadow Chancellor said the era of Labour leaders refusing to back strike action is “over”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labours-john-mcdonnell-wants-angry-7789957
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    NEW YORK NEW YORK
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited April 2016

Labour's John McDonnell has backed thousands of teachers and nurses to walk out on strike and vowed to bring down the Government through direct action.

In an incendiary speech, the Shadow Chancellor said the era of Labour leaders refusing to back strike action is “over”.

There are a few things going on that I know about that suggest there could be some coordinated action which would be fun.

EDIT: I see this is now public:

http://tinyurl.com/jfyakvt

I am so grateful that I use SWT and not GTR.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    edited April 2016
    LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    Demeaning to their opponents like Momentum
    GOmentum?

REMAIN: Hillary Clinton. Obviously
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There are a few things going on that I know about that suggest there could be some coordinated action which would be fun.
    If there's one thing that's going to help the Tories unite it is the prospect of 1970sesque strikes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    EPG said:

LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    GOmentum?

I really didn't like R4 News' what appeared to be daily "Trump Quote" picking up a mistake of his in one of his speeches (he muddled 9/11 and 7/11).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

EPG said:

LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    GOmentum?

I really didn't like R4 News' what appeared to be daily "Trump Quote" picking up a mistake of his in one of his speeches (he muddled 9/11 and 7/11).
    Yeah, but did you see his spokeslady?

Wearing a necklace of bullets

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/pierson-trump-711-222145
  • Options
    I'm probably a bad person, and certainly a snob, for generally agreeing with this comedic piece

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/voters-treated-like-children-because-they-basically-are-say-experts-20160419108132

POLITICIANS treat voters like children because they act like children, experts have confirmed.

Professor Henry Brubaker, from the Institute for Studies, said: “You want lots of nice things, but you don’t want to pay for them...

That’s why the Brexit campaign offers you unlimited toys and the Remain campaign tells you there’s an insane clown under your bed.”
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Gove is one of my favourite politicians, but today (hopefully only temporarily) he's transformed himself into Wee Eck, waving around no end of fanciful cures and wondrous potions like a mountebank. And when it all turns out to be a hollow mockery who cares? Leave will have been secured and there's no turning back. It's cynical, it's dangerous, but it might just work.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

tlg86 said:

If there's one thing that's going to help the Tories unite it is the prospect of 1970sesque strikes.
    Fire up the Allegro.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Temporarily unite them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it reminds me of the Nat bollocks that all the jocks would be big pals and kiss and make up. How did that work out ?

The Tories have lost the plot, they've gone for victory at any price and that price might be a permanently split party. 4kin stupid.

If you seriously imagine that Labour won't play the remainers words back on them and that UKIP won;t play the Leavers words back, where both sides Tories have agreed their conservative colleagues are useless lying twats then as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @iankatz1000: Former WTO chief Pascal Lamy tells us tonight: "The notion tht you exit the EU tradewise at no price is simply a lie" Watch 22.30 #newsnight
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it reminds me of the Nat bollocks that all the jocks would be big pals and kiss and make up. How did that work out ?

The Tories have lost the plot, they've gone for victory at any price and that price might be a permanently split party. 4kin stupid.

If you seriously imagine that Labour won't play the remainers words back on them and that UKIP won;t play the Leavers words back, where both sides Tories have agreed their conservative colleagues are useless lying twats then as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"
    Jezbollah is the great uniter.

Plus, the Tory database on what Corbyn has said in the past, and what Labour people have said of Corbyn is mahoosive compared to recent Blue on Blue action.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

TOPPING said:

EPG said:

LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    GOmentum?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/pierson-trump-711-222145
    Was that picture taken at Madame Tussauds?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

Plus, the Tory database on what Corbyn has said in the past, and what Labour people have said of Corbyn is mahoosive compared to recent Blue on Blue action.
    Jezbollah. Frankly I'd vote for him, he looks competent atm.
  • Options
    Toms said:

TOPPING said:

EPG said:

LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    GOmentum?

Was that picture taken at Madame Tussauds?
    Harsh
  • Options
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

He looks competent because he's not been on the telly much recently
  • Options
    edited April 2016

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

whereas the conservatives have and they don't look competent at all
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

TOPPING said:

EPG said:

LEAVE:
    Marmite like Trump
    GOmentum?

Creepy.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

wheareas the consrvatives have and they don't look competent at all
    Is merely a fleshwound as they focus on the EU.

Think of the Tories like The Romans in the Second Punic War, distracted and letting their opponents do well.

Once they get their arses in gear, they are going to give Labour the shellacking of their lives.
  • Options
    Trump has shortened to near 1.6 from 2.1 or so a few days ago. I don't know why but as I stand up lose about 80k if he doesn't win it is a relief to see the layers losing heart. I rather regret piling in so big at the wrong odds but it gives me some comfort to be on the other side of the bet to
  • Options
    Messrs herdson and silver.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    Interesting that Trump is going to have his best ever performance in liberal New York.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ny/new_york_republican_presidential_primary-4222.html
  • Options

Trump has shortened to near 1.6 from 2.1 or so a few days ago. I don't know why but as I stand up lose about 80k if he doesn't win it is a relief to see the layers losing heart. I rather regret piling in so big at the wrong odds but it gives me some comfort to be on the other side of the bet to

Christ on a bike. How much will you win if he makes it ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

Think of the Tories like The Romans in the Second Punic War, distracted and letting their opponents do well.

Once they get their arses in gear, they are going to give Labour the shellacking of their lives.
    At the next election cuddly votewinner Dave is gone. Toxic George can only lose votes and there;s a split party.

The Tories simply scraped over the line last time by good luck - the lucky general is hanging up his boots.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/Hillary-the-Panama-Papers-and-the-fall-of-kleptocracy.html

Kleptocracy? I thought that referred to to the ruling EU oligarchy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

35k.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Because we are getting close to a vote and Trump wins votes. The reality of Trump getting more delegates and getting closer to the magic figure has focused minds again. I was fairly certain this would happen (Trump drift during the big pause between contests then shorten again as voting day approached) but was too scared to put the money in to back my supposition.

The Republican Nom market is driven by sentiment - with the occasional injection of reality when a Primary is held. The big gap between votes has allowed sentiment rule the market since Wisconsin, the NY Primary is going to swing it back to reality - for a while.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Come on Sam Cam, own up it was you. ;)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: Former WTO chief Pascal Lamy tells us tonight: "The notion tht you exit the EU tradewise at no price is simply a lie" Watch 22.30 #newsnight

Funny how he is Former WTO chief rather than Former EU Trade Commissioner and the man considered the cheerleader for complete integration of the EU into a single state. The man quite literally who coined the phrase 'the answer is more Europe'.

http://www.politico.eu/article/an-eu-mandarins-call-for-more-integration-pascal-lamy/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

At the next election cuddly votewinner Dave is gone. Toxic George can only lose votes and there;s a split party.

The Tories simply scraped over the line last time by good luck - the lucky general is hanging up his boots.
    We'll pick boring Phil Hammond or Michael Fallon, maybe Theresa May or a young blood and be fine
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Labour pull ahead in one poll (and only one, so far) and McDonnell let's it go to his head.
    They are preaching to the village hall full of supporters, not the country full of voters. At this rate all the Tories have to do is avoid Osborne taking up the reigns and they are home free in 2020.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

We'll pick boring Phil Hammond or Michael Fallon, maybe Theresa May or a young blood and be fine
    I love complacency
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:

Funny how he is Former WTO chief rather than Former EU Trade Commissioner and the man considered the cheerleader for complete integration of the EU into a single state. The man quite literally who coined the phrase 'the answer is more Europe'.

http://www.politico.eu/article/an-eu-mandarins-call-for-more-integration-pascal-lamy/
    Now we have his full cv, perhaps you could respond to his point of substance?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

They are preaching to the village hall full of supporters
    Town hall, please - I suspect they are doing worse in the villages. Although small towns are Labour hotbeds either of course.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

I love complacency
    It's not complacency, it's hope.

I've done several threads saying the Tories shouldn't be complacent about 2020, and we'd be screwed if Labour dumped Jez and picked someone vaguely electable
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

Luck? Seriously? Taking over during the aftermath of a massive recession, having to cut from day one and have internalised a massive opposition party with them in power?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

Luck? Seriously? Taking over during the aftermath of a massive recession, having to cut from day one and have internalised a massive opposition party with them in power?
    Yeah Luck
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

I'll be voting for Corbyn if Fallon is picked.
  • Options
    Election Data has replied to my tweet about John McDonnell's comments about strikes

@election_data: @TSEofPB anyone would think there's a leadership election coming up or summink
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

I love complacency

I've done several threads saying the Tories shouldn't be complacent about 2020, and we'd be screwed if Labour dumped Jez and picked someone vaguely electable
    You're forgetting to factor in Osborne;s recession which should roll up about 2019
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

I love complacency

You're forgetting to factor in Osborne;s recession which should roll up about 2019
    Year behind schedule then.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

It's what he might be competent at that frightens me off Labour.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Messrs herdson and silver.

Hello?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

Yeah Luck
    Ok. Not an opposition so weighed down with its own history that it makes the Tories obsession with Thatcher seem like a summer fling?
    And Labour solved that problem by hiring a career back bencher with less experience of ruling than me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

wheareas the consrvatives hhe Second Punic War, distracted and letting their opponents do well.

At the next election cuddly votewinner Dave iucky general is hanging up his boots.
    I love complacency

Year behind schedule then.
    Osborne can never stick to a timetable, even his own
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Scott_P said:

You could try reading Patrick Minford's book, among other things. Though I imagine you would prefer to just take these kinds of off the cuff remarks by 'authority figures' on trust.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

YouGov - 13 April

Which of the following do you think would make the best Prime Minister?
    Jeremy Corbyn - 30%
    Theresa May - 23%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k0c0qjfg6w/TimesResults_160412_VI&EURef_W.pdf

#justsaying
  • Options
    I apologise, once seen, it can never be unseen

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/722426152363651072
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited April 2016

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

Mr. Brooke, I rather think that thanks to Cameron's total absence of leadership skills and inability/desire to think two steps ahead the Conservative party is heading for the split of all splits. I cannot see a way back from the position Cameron has put his Party.

The membership under his leadership has already plunged to a new low and that is before the events of this summer have played out. Cameron may well go down in history as the chap who fecked it all up, his party and the UK.

If Labour had a sensible leadership team (e.g. Southam Observer, gent of this parish,
    plus whoever he chose), they would be streets ahead right now and on course for a massive majority in 2020.

Perhaps it is the genius of our system that only people who are unfit and or incapable of doing the job are given the chance to actually do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Scott_P said:

His point has no substance. His answer to every problem that be sets the EU is remove power from the nation states and give it to the bureaucrats. He sees every possible European issue in those terms and as a result his views are worthless in this debate.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Mitt Romney predicts Trump is likely to win on the first ballot unless Kasich or Cruz drops out after New York.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/04/18/mitt_romney_cruz_and_kasich_divide_the_vote_trump_likely_to_get_1237_delegates.html
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

See, you CAN do humour.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

They want Leave to fail. There can be no other explanation. Presumably, they've concluded that Remain will wreak the most havoc with the Tories. They care more about getting their own back on the Tories than Brexit.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

YouGov - 13 April

Jeremy Corbyn - 30%
    Theresa May - 23%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k0c0qjfg6w/TimesResults_160412_VI&EURef_W.pdf

#justsaying
    There's a big 47% don't know / neither / whatever there. The question is how they'd break once Cameron was replaced. My guess is that Corbyn is pretty near his ceiling, partly because he's not going to change, partly because the public have already seen enough of him as leader and partly because he'll still be in opposition come 2020.

By contrast, whoever is elected Tory leader will have the advantage of going into the election *as* PM. Unless they've made a complete pig's ear of it, that will of itself help how prime ministerial they'll look.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Pulpstar said:

35k.
    Fair play. It's been an obvious bet for a while, but that's still a lot of money!

So who was the lady in Wm Hill's shop earlier with 100k burning a hole in her handbag?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Scott_P said:

You could try reading Patrick Minford's book, among other things. Though I imagine you would prefer to just take these kinds of off the cuff remarks by 'authority figures' on trust.
    It was, as is par for the course sadly from the most ardent Leavers, a volcanic eruption of ad hominem, as if that somehow addressed the question of the likelihood of Britain securing an exit cost free on its preferred terms.

If you have any points you think are of particular relevance in Professor Minford's book, do let me know (always assuming that you've actually read it yourself).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it remin as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"
    Mr. Brooke, I rather think that thanks to Cameron's total absence of leadership skills and inability/desire to think two steps ahead the Conservative party is heading for the split of all splits. I cannot see a way back from the position Cameron has put his Party.

The membership under his leadership has already plunged to a new low and that is before the events of this summer have played out. Cameron may well go down in history as the chap who fecked it all up, his party and the UK.

If Labour had a sensible leadership team (e.g. Southam Observer, gent of this parish,
    plus whoever he chose), they would be streets ahead right now and on course for a massive majority in 2020.

Perhaps it is the genius of our system that only people who are unfit and or incapable of doing the job are given the chance to actually do it.
    Frankly Mr L it might now be the time to take the Conservative party on a one way trip to Switzerland. Increasingly it has had its day, it serves little purpose but to repay its financial backers and give career politicans something to do. Unless it finds a decent leader with a sense of purpose it should be taken out and put out of its misery.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

His point has no substance. His answer to every problem that be sets the EU is remove power from the nation states and give it to the bureaucrats. He sees every possible European issue in those terms and as a result his views are worthless in this debate.
    Still not addressing the point and still just wallowing in ad hominem.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

YouGov - 13 April

Jeremy Corbyn - 30%
    Theresa May - 23%

#justsaying
    I'd love to see May get it - she'd be a competent caretaker, and the harpies would go completely nuts at the idea of a second Tory lady PM.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    Philip Hammond is a dull old man. Theresa May is an incompetent who tried to reduce immigration yet managed to actually get it up. Michael Fallon is a nonentity.

If the Conservatives want to recover from the treacherous Cameron and Osborne then they need to put in a rising star like Priti Patel or Dominic Raab.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

By contrast, whoever is elected Tory leader will have the advantage of going into the election *as* PM. Unless they've made a complete pig's ear of it, that will of itself help how prime ministerial they'll look.

If I may so, nobody who did some canvassing for Gordon Brown's Labour in 2010 would think that being PM would in itself make people vote for a party.

Until recently I thought May would the shrewdest choice for the Tories, but polling evidence suggests the public just doesn't like her. It may well be Boris or bust.
  • Options
    Layne said:

Philip Hammond is a dull old man. Theresa May is an incompetent who tried to reduce immigration yet managed to actually get it up. Michael Fallon is a nonentity.

If the Conservatives want to recover from the treacherous Cameron and Osborne then they need to put in a rising star like Priti Patel or Dominic Raab.

or Adolf Hitler who depending on your stance will be fronting Remain or Leave next week ( source Scott P )
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

They're tearing strips out of each other, it remin as Macauliffe said your'e "Nuts"

Frankly Mr L it might now be the time to take the Conservative party on a one way trip to Switzerland. Increasingly it has had its day, it serves little purpose but to repay its financial backers and give career politicans something to do. Unless it finds a decent leader with a sense of purpose it should be taken out and put out of its misery.
    So when did the Labour part last have a "decent leader". John Smith died in 1994.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Danny565 said:

If I may so, nobody who did some canvassing for Gordon Brown's Labour in 2010 would think that being PM would in itself make people vote for a party.

True, but he should never have been PM, and everyone knew it
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

I have no regrets about leaving the Conservative Party (in line with about 250,000 others).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

So when did the Labour part last have a "decent leader". John Smith died in 1994.
    I suppose that assumes John Smith was decent.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nope. And coming from the man whose whole contribution to the EU debate consists of ad hominem attacks for months on end whilst the rest of us actually discuss matters of substance I am afraid your moaning is falling on deaf ears.

It's like asking Nick Griffin to give a measure appraisal of immigration policy.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

If you actually believe that, Darth Eagles, then your blurb to your clients should include the words "Hopeless optimist" The only hope that the Conservative Party now have at the next GE is that between now and then Labour keep Corbyn and the Labour propped up by the SNP theme plays as well as it did last time.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

I don't like Blair, but I'd suggest that there is a weight of evidence that, despite his now poor reputation, he was indisputably a decent leader by most metrics.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

I have no regrets about leaving the Conservative Party (in line with about 250,000 others).
    I increasingly don't see the point of it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

Danny565 said:

True, but he should never have been PM, and everyone knew it
    But people on the doorstep thought Brown was competent, and quite a lot of people said they thought his handling of the economic crisis was better than Cameron could've managed (though they usually only admitted it grudgingly and after we'd prompted them with the question).

But, nonetheless, even most people who admitted that still weren't willing to vote Labour, because they just didn't like Brown as a person, and/or because "Labour have been in long enough now and it's time for a change".
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Pulpstar said:

35k.
    I admire your testicular fortitude.
    I topped up on Trump at 1.45 too fwiw :)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nope. And coming from the man whose whole contribution to the EU debate consists of ad hominem attacks for months on end whilst the rest of us actually discuss matters of substance I am afraid your moaning is falling on deaf ears.

It's like asking Nick Griffin to give a measure appraisal of immigration policy.
    Leavers really are in trouble if their response to "but more or less every foreign minister in the EU and half the world's economic apparatchiki are saying that what Leave is asking for is simply not going to happen" is "lizard illuminati Bilderberg people aren't allowed opinions".
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tlg86 said:

It depends if it is 1974 and Heath asking "Who governs Britain?" and getting the answer "Not you, sunshine" or 1979 and the dawn of the Thatcher era.

I would say that significant Trade Union discontent broke one Tory government and made another. A score draw 1 all.

Alternatively, you could say that the Unions in the Seventies brought down 2 consecutive governments and put 2 oppositions in. Arguably the 2 nil to the Trade Unions. Obviously in the early Eighties the result went the other way.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

HaroldO said:

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

Yeah Luck
    Good teams have skill, bad teams always say they don't have luck.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Leavers really are in trouble if their response to "but more or less every foreign minister in the EU and half the world's economic apparatchiki are saying that what Leave is asking for is simply not going to happen" is "lizard illuminati Bilderberg people aren't allowed opinions".
    And your response to anyone questioning the motives of such organisations (now why on earth would they do that I wonder?) is "lizard illuminati Bilderberg people". An unsophisticated smear.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Scott_P said:

Probably not.

If other nations were determined to treat the UK as a pariah state, if we had the temerity to vote Leave, (I don't actually think they would be so irrational) then I think that would shift opinion in favour of Leave rather than Remain.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

Scott_P said:

It was, as is par for the course sadly from the most ardent Leavers, a volcanic eruption of ad hominem, as if that somehow addressed the question of the likelihood of Britain securing an exit cost free on its preferred terms.

If you have any points you think are of particular relevance in Professor Minford's book, do let me know (always assuming that you've actually read it yourself).
    There's a non-technical summary of his key arguments (which I imagine suits you best) here.

http://www.cityam.com/239128/the-treasury-has-it-entirely-wrong-the-british-economy-would-gain-from-brexit
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

They want Leave to fail. There can be no other explanation. Presumably, they've concluded that Remain will wreak the most havoc with the Tories. They care more about getting their own back on the Tories than Brexit.
    Farage and chums are terrified of losing their Euro MP gigs. Generous salaries, no questions asked 'allowances'. Plus one can stick it up Cameron as well. What's not to like?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    First Exit Poll leaks from N.Y. should come any time now.

About Trump's rising odds in the betting markets, my opinion is that it's all about the sentiment about Trump sweeping the north eastern USA.
    But it does have substance after the California poll.
  • Options

Layne said:

or Adolf Hitler who depending on your stance will be fronting Remain or Leave next week ( source Scott P )
    Fair go, Mr Brooke, but in an earlier post you said either the Conservative Party should get a real leader or be put down.

You might not like all that Priti Patel stands for but, by the cringe, you can't accuse her of lacking the guts to lead. She, or someone like her, is probably the best chance the Conservatives have or even surviving as a major party, much less winning the next GE with an overall majority.
  • Options
    Here is a good website that gives a live detail analysis of the N.Y. primary:

http://www.benchmarkpolitics.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

I walked through Regent's Park to the West End and ended up spending an hour just looking at the blossom by the lake.

The frivolous and decadent use of time of the rich, ladies and gentlemen!

Although in all seriousness, this does appear to be a very green and pleasant land, in global terms. Quite heartening.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2016

tlg86 said:

Tories unite ? ROFL

e said your'e "Nuts"

If you actually believe that, Darth Eagles, then your blurb to your clients should include the words "Hopeless optimist" The only hope that the Conservative Party now have at the next GE is that between now and then Labour keep Corbyn and the Labour propped up by the SNP theme plays as well as it did last time.
    Corbyn's not stupid. Having remoulded the party, he'll step down in a few years allowing a more voter friendly leader to take his place. The Tories have been incredibly complacent and their rank stupidity will catch them out.

The Boy Blunder is heading for a well deserved massive fall, and Cameron can do bugger all to fix the split having so firmly, and probably deceitfully, come out for 'Remain', rather than sit it out on the sidelines.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Danny565 said:

Until recently I thought May would the shrewdest choice for the Tories, but polling evidence suggests the public just doesn't like her. It may well be Boris or bust.
    Boris has always been the only available Heineken candidate - on either side.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Speedy said:

I've tried to do a quick NY crib sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12XTJWLWV46JDsxMso6ID_BlV0_6irPEyyY9kzxIm9iY/edit#gid=0

Tiny Bronx County (In terms of GOP voters) has an entire CD to itself !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What a hauntingly beautiful day. I walked through Regent's Park to the West End and ended up spending an hour just looking at the blossom by the lake.

That first truly warm, almost-summery day in an English Spring. That April magic. Quite quite peerless.

My younger daughter's Australian mother is in town. And she just said to me, in awe, that "Nowhere in the world does Spring like England". And she is entirely right.

You should have seen Edinburgh. Bathed in golden sunshine (for once).
  • Options
    Speedy said:

First note:

Reports of extremely low turnout in Western Brooklyn, especially Williamsburg. This is in an important CD that Sanders was expected to be competitive in. Without help from Williamsburg, though, he may not. We try to remain neutral in these contests, but honestly, things look very good for Clinton today.

Boo. At least tease us a bit more New Yorkers.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

Scott_P said:

There's a non-technical summary of his key arguments (which I imagine suits you best) here.

http://www.cityam.com/239128/the-treasury-has-it-entirely-wrong-the-british-economy-would-gain-from-brexit
    As I suspected, entirely irrelevant to Pascal Lamy's point. I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up for a useful contribution from you.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    First Exit Poll leaks:

Dem side.

34% are Liberal or V.Liberal (read left).
    16% under age 30.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It depends if it is 1974 and Heath asking "Who governs Britain?" and getting the answer "Not you, sunshine" or 1979 and the dawn of the Thatcher era.
    I would say that significant Trade Union discontent broke one Tory government and made another. A score draw 1 all.
    Alternatively, you could say that the Unions in the Seventies brought down 2 consecutive governments and put 2 oppositions in. Arguably the 2 nil to the Trade Unions. Obviously in the early Eighties the result went the other way.
    Foxinsoxuk. I agree. Also a Govt could only hope to defeat such strong unions if it had the following:-
    1. Prepared well in advance with alternative ways of running the services without strikers (Not done, no spare capcity created for these services, no alternatives in place).

2. Have a strong Leader at the top who has a single focus on winning and is here to stay. (We have in Cameron a Leader distracted by the referendum and has an eye on the exit door).

3. Have a large amount of support from voters fed up with the strikes. (Not in place. The doctors are well supported.)

A 7P situation P*** Poor Preparation Promotes P*** Poor Performance.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

What a hauntingly beautiful day. I walked through Regent's Park to the West End and ended up spending an hour just looking at the blossom by the lake.

That first truly warm, almost-summery day in an English Spring. That April magic. Quite quite peerless.

My younger daughter's Australian mother is in town. And she just said to me, in awe, that "Nowhere in the world does Spring like England". And she is entirely right.

I was thinking exactly that looking out of the train window tonight on the way back from London. The late afternoon sun low on the rolling green fields; liquid honey light. The slow English dusk is a haunting thing.

This discussion has been closed.