Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A minority government by another name

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited April 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A minority government by another name

David Cameron has had a cabal of fierce critics on the Conservative backbenches conspiring against him almost since the moment he became party leader.  In the new Parliament, the cabal has re-emerged and, emboldened by a small Conservative majority in the House of Commons, has periodically pounced to undermine their leadership’s plans on tax credit cuts, Sunday trading and benefit cuts, …

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    On the little things he can live with it, if they mess with him on the big things he can deselect them and call a new election. He's up against Corbyn, he'd win it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second, like Spurs
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    So bottom line, his majority is not big enough for even small rebellions, none of the other parties have reason to work with him even if they agree with him, and whatever his skills resolving intra party tensions has never been one of them and is now worse than ever.

It is for this reason he will be gone before 2018(possibly even 2017) even if Remain wins - he won't be able to act.

On the little things he can live with it, if they mess with him on the big things he can deselect them and call a new election. He's up against Corbyn, he'd win it.

He probably would. But could he get to that point? He'd face a leadership challenge before that happens, and as we know you can win the first round of those and still have an untenable position.

Honestly, I don't mind the man continuing on if Remain win, gods knows the other candidates aren't filling me with confidence and I don't care what internal difficulties the Tories have, but I cannot see them letting him stay on. And no, Gove et al saying they want him to doesn't mean a thing, as it won't be up to them either even if they believe it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A good read.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    No. The Tory MPs must be getting bored with the whole EU thing now. It's just a lot of grief for no other purpose than giving their more 'colourful' colleagues too much airtime. When Remain triumphs I can see everyone keenly moving on to something else.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So bottom line, his majority is not big enough for even small rebellions, none of the other parties have reason to work with him even if they agree with him, and whatever his skills resolving intra party tensions has never been one of them and is now worse than ever.

It is for this reason he will be gone before 2018(possibly even 2017) even if Remain wins - he won't be able to act.

He probably would. But could he get to that point? He'd face a leadership challenge before that happens, and as we know you can win the first round of those and still have an untenable position.

Honestly, I don't mind the man continuing on if Remain win, gods knows the other candidates aren't filling me with confidence and I don't care what internal difficulties the Tories have, but I cannot see them letting him stay on. And no, Gove et al saying they want him to doesn't mean a thing, as it won't be up to them either even if they believe it.
    I mostly agree with that, but this is where I disagree with Antifrank: Narked off as the skeptics may be, Cameron will be a lame duck; He won't be getting much done, and there won't be much worth stopping him from doing. If the right started organizing against him then he'd have some cards to play but that's a good reason for them not to bother.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    http://www.france24.com/en/20160423-german-orchestra-accuses-turks-pressure-genocide-row

Another example of why Leave must push the Turkey angle. Make it about Erdogan getting anything he asks for and how our PM got nothing.
  • Options

No. The Tory MPs must be getting bored with the whole EU thing now.

Most optimistic post of 2016 contender right there!
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :lol::lol::lol:

No. The Tory MPs must be getting bored with the whole EU thing now. It's just a lot of grief for no other purpose than giving their more 'colourful' colleagues too much airtime. When Remain triumphs I can see everyone keenly moving on to something else.

• Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    So, the emergency brake on immigration - nothing to stop it being pulled now is there?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Reminds me a shade of Mohammed Morsi[sp]. Narrowly won an election, then started acting like Julius Caesar, with a similar outcome.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

http://www.france24.com/en/20160423-german-orchestra-accuses-turks-pressure-genocide-row

Another example of why Leave must push the Turkey angle. Make it about Erdogan getting anything he asks for and how our PM got nothing.

If Cameron offers to take in 2.7 million Syrian refugees then he'll certainly have Merkel's attention.
  • Options
    Given there are 141 pro-Brexit MPs - it only takes a small number to be elsewhere during votes to make Cameron's position very difficult. As noted on the last thread, the boundary changes will throw up a bunch who won't have a reason to be *loyal* re the Lords or whatever either.

And associations pissed off at being misled.

Cameron has been terrible at Party management since the start - it's only been his personal electoral success/polling that's kept them onside. What do they have to lose now - given if Remain wins they've little chance of getting a job/keeping the one they have?

Fixed Term Parlies allow a lot of mischief making.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

How does he deselect a MP. That is the job of constituency parties, and a lot of them are none to happy with him either at the moment and might just tell him to p*ss off.
  • Options
    A para party of 30 right-wing Tory MPs with IDS as it's unofficial leader. A dystopian vision if ever there was one. It would certainly be worth the ticket price.

Wouldn't it be ironic if after Steve Hilton gave his all to make the Tory Party human again and Dave went to the freezing wastes of the arctic with smelly dogs to prove it that in reality it was all was all a ruse. They were what many had suspected all along. Just Tories trying on new clothes.
  • Options
    The penny's dropping.
  • Options
    timetrompettetimetrompette Posts: 111
    edited April 2016

#wishfulthinking
  • Options

The attempts to handwave away the views of 40%+ of the electorate never cease to amaze me.
  • Options
    Roger said:

A para party of 30 right-wing Tory MPs with IDS as it's unofficial leader. A dystopian vision if ever there was one. It would certainly be worth the ticket price.

Wouldn't it be ironic if after Steve Hilton gave his all to make the Tory Party human again and Dave went to the freezing wastes of the arctic with smelly dogs to prove it that in reality it was all was all a ruse. They were what many had suspected all along. Just Tories trying on new clothes.

Well, to many of them, it's does look as if Cameron was really a Lib Dem trying on a Blue suit.
  • Options
    FPT
    Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Surely the PB received wisdom, that Dave's successor will have to be a Leaver, has taken a pounding. Gove has made too many unforced errors and Boris has confirmed some dark suspicions. Many Tory MPs will conclude that this Leave lark really isn't worth the bother - why jeopardise your reputation and prospects by being associated with jokers. This has been a dark week for Tory euroscepticism. Meanwhille Osborne is firmly back in the frame.

Osborne loses to Corbyn, apart from that, a flawless plan.
    My prediction.

Remain will win.
    Cameron will continue as PM until the next GE with his successor ready to take over after the election.
    Cameron will invite Gove back into the fold but Boris will be left out in the cold.
    Boris and perhaps up to 30 Tory MPs will switch to UKIP where Boris will be elected leader.
    Osborne will continue as Chancellor.
    The next recession will hit in 2017/18 but by 2020 UK economy will be growing strongly with tax cuts.
    Osborne's star will rise again and he will be elected Tory leader against May.
    Corbyn will continue as Labour leader.
    The result of the next GE will be Tory 32%, Lab 33%, UKIP 17%, LibDem 9% leading to a Labour minority Government lead by Corbyn.
    Bold.

For my part, I think if Remain win, it won't by much, which is critical, as the bigger the win the longer I think Cameron can stay on to prepare the way for his successor (theoretically for time for Osborne to recover, but I find it hard to believe that's possible again, especially with economic trouble brewing).

I think Boris and Gove will both be offered something, but Boris a lesser job (somewhere above NI secretary, but below the Great Offices), daring him to openly say his first Cabinet post would be beneath him.

No more than a few defections to UKIP, if any. The grumblers will be there and very angry, but if it is a close Remain win they'll plan a leadership challenge this year they think a Leaver will win regardless, so no point in jumping ship.

Corbyn is safe for a few more years at least.

Hung parliament in 2020, Labour coalition government as 10 years of Tory rule combined with absolute failure to meet their own targets mean the fear of economic trouble from Labour is lessened and the SNP fear isn't effective enough to counter fatigue of Tory government.
  • Options

Roger said:

Well, to many of them, it's does look as if Cameron was really a Lib Dem trying on a Blue suit.
    Works for me, bar the EU question, quite frankly.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It is not just about Europe. Look at Tory councillors' consternation at plans to nationalise the schools, for instance. It goes back to GE2015. The problem is not the small majority per se but the way it was won: not by a popular campaign in favour of anything at all but by microtargetting the message that Ed Miliband was a bit of a prat The election did not, as Labour's had in 1997 with its pledge cards, involve pointing all Conservative MPs in the same direction, let alone the electorate.

This is not to question the validity of the result. Cameron won a majority -- but not a mandate to do anything in particular.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Labour is on course to suffer its worst result in opposition for 34 years at the local elections, one of Britain’s most respected polling experts has warned.

The party will lose 170 councillors and control of a string of councils if people vote as the polls currently suggest, according to analysis by Prof John Curtice for The Telegraph"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/24/labour-set-for-worst-council-defeat-in-opposition-for-34-years/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hung parliament in 2020, Labour coalition government as 10 years of Tory rule combined with absolute failure to meet their own targets mean the fear of economic trouble from Labour is lessened and the SNP fear isn't effective enough to counter fatigue of Tory government.

Hopefully Dan Hannan will throw in the Tory towel and form the "Fed Up With The EU But Not A Bunch Of Incompetent Fuckwits Party", most of the sensible Kippers and the Tory right will leave to join it, the remaining selection of fruitcakes and loons will stay in UKIP and go the way of the BNP. :D
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    The only party within a party is the Cameronites. They are a splinter under the nail of the Tory party, and it needs to be expelled.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, defections to UKIP would be foolish, given there's to be a change of leader. If a pro-EU sort got it, then there might be defections, but leaving the party ahead of a decision like that wouldn't be very clever.

Doesn't mean they won't happen, of course.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Cameron is going for a scorched earth policy, the next tory leader is f@cked
  • Options
    Indigo said:

How does he deselect a MP. That is the job of constituency parties, and a lot of them are none to happy with him either at the moment and might just tell him to p*ss off.
    I'm not an expert in Conservative Party rules but I thought the central party had the power to veto someone being a candidate for selection?
  • Options
    Mr. Nunu, welcome to pb.com.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, defections to UKIP would be foolish, given there's to be a change of leader. If a pro-EU sort got it, then there might be defections, but leaving the party ahead of a decision like that wouldn't be very clever.

If it starts looking like a stitch up it will happen sooner rather than later.

"Do you want to vote for Gove or have a career" ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Since the clear alternative to Centrist Cameron Conservative govt is Labour under the current lunatic the lunatics on the right have clear options - it's a 1997 style rout or suck it up. Simple.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indigo said:

The attempts to handwave away the views of 40%+ of the electorate never cease to amaze me.
    It's not waving it away, it's accepting the result whichever way the chips fall and moving on to something more productive. What point is there rehashing yesterday's battle when there's tomorrow's challenges to unite around instead?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Indigo said:

I'm not an expert in Conservative Party rules but I thought the central party had the power to veto someone being a candidate for selection?
    I am not either, but I think you would have to get the candidate deselected, and then veto the reselection, I don't think you can vote a sitting candidate. The voters put the MP in parliament, it would be rather off for the party to remove them. They can remove the whip of course but that might be a two edged sword.
  • Options

The only party within a party is the Cameronites. They are a splinter under the nail of the Tory party, and it needs to be expelled.

For party unity sakes maybe, although that splinter did get them elected (whatever the flaws of Ed M, the alternative even to a poor opposition needs to remain plausible and, this is key, nonthreatening)

For years it seems there have been plenty of Tory MPs who seem like they wish they were UKIP but didn't have the guts of Carswell and Reckless. If they can't work up the courage to do so now, during the referendum, it is hard to see what circumstances they will.
  • Options
    EICIPMEICIPM Posts: 55

Yes! That's the spirit!
    And then Nick Clegg will make a comeback as NUS president
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Indigo said:

He declares them unable to use the party description on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Indigo said:

Firstly I'd only call it a triumph if the margin is something like 56:44 or better which is somewhat open to doubt. Secondly given the number who are only reluctantly voting Remain triumph seems to be an odd word to use anyway. It implies the man using is gloating behind his whisky.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    If say 30 Tory MPs, led by Boris, form a "paraparty" (or more likely join UKIP with Boris as leader), then we might get better government. A minority Tory government will not get away with partisan legislation. There will be less legislation and what there is will be less controversial.
  • Options
    Mr. EICIPM, I can't help but feel your acronym has passed from optimistic to fantastical.

More importantly, welcome to pb.com.

Mr. kle4, it's not a question of courage. To achieve their aim, the easier course is to help shift the Conservative leadership their way, rather than jumping ship and trying to build UKIP into a party of government.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Genius idea. What could possibly go wrong, other than splitting the vote between any new Tory sans activists, and the old one deselected and sitting as an Independent or Kipper, with the local machinery behind them.
  • Options

Indigo said:

It's not waving it away, it's accepting the result whichever way the chips fall and moving on to something more productive. What point is there rehashing yesterday's battle when there's tomorrow's challenges to unite around instead?
    Yes, lets all be one big happy family, never mind the voters, what do they know. If the government comes off sounding remotely high-handed about this, and we know if will because Cameron can't help himself, that's going to be a large chunk of disappointed Tory voters who are going to feel taken for granted, and you cant afford 2% to sit on the sofa's come 2020, never mind 10-15%
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

If say 30 Tory MPs, led by Boris, form a "paraparty" (or more likely join UKIP with Boris as leader), then we might get better government. A minority Tory government will not get away with partisan legislation. There will be less legislation and what there is will be less controversial.

Optimistic, it presumes partisanship only runs one way - obviously the Tories do and have tried to get controversial stuff through, but pretty inoffensive stuff is also probably stymied by the opposition from time to time for their own partisan purposes.

So it's right in that they will propose less partisan stuff, but also the non-partisan stuff will still get stopped too.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Interestingly I read a poll yesterday looking for the most trustworthy people in the country. Gove came 84th out of 84. I'm surprised no one researched this before giving him such a prominent role in the Leave campaign

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/wildlife-presenter-david-attenborough-is-named-the-uks-most-trustworthy-figure-9102139.html
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Barnesian said:

I'm going to make a bold prediction here: Boris won't join UKIP and seize its leadership.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, it's not a question of courage. To achieve their aim, the easier course is to help shift the Conservative leadership their way, rather than jumping ship and trying to build UKIP into a party of government.

Agree to disagree I'm afraid, that seems like a lack of courage to me, if the present Tory party is as horrible as they sometimes act (ok, right now it would not take much for it to become what they want, but years ago it looked much much harder).

But a good afternoon to all, time to get some sun.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Yes, lets all be one big happy family, never mind the voters, what do they know. If the government comes off sounding remotely high-handed about this, and we know if will because Cameron can't help himself, that's going to be a large chunk of disappointed Tory voters who are going to feel taken for granted, and you cant afford 2% to sit on the sofa's come 2020, never mind 10-15%
    I'm not suggesting that anyone comes off high-handed, just that either way the result should be respected. That really should be uncontroversial.

Rehashing these battles for the next four years will achieve what precisely? The key to get the disappointed Tories to feel a part of the fold again is not to keep rehashing the reason why they're disappointed but to acknowledge their disappointment and move on with respect onto issues where agreement can be more readily found.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

Since the clear alternative to Centrist Cameron Conservative govt is Labour under the current lunatic the lunatics on the right have clear options - it's a 1997 style rout or suck it up. Simple.

Eerily reminiscent of New Labour arrogance. It will end the same way.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Hopefully Dan Hannan will throw in the Tory towel and form the "Fed Up With The EU But Not A Bunch Of Incompetent Fuckwits Party", most of the sensible Kippers and the Tory right will leave to join it, the remaining selection of fruitcakes and loons will stay in UKIP and go the way of the BNP. :D
    A party built around the principles of Hannan and Carswell but without the UKIP egos would be very attractive.
  • Options
    Mr. Chestnut, quite. Same old hubris and nemesis.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    felix said:

"You have to vote for [insert sensible Tory leader] because otherwise we will have [lunatic labour leader], its a clear choice"

This is the standard Tory loyalist cry since the beginning of time. Before GE2015 you were all saying it about Ed Miliband, before that it was POGWAS, I dare say your predecessors were saying the same about Neil Kinnock and Keir Hardy!

It's not very convincing any more.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

"You have to vote for [insert sensible Tory leader] because otherwise we will have [lunatic labour leader], its a clear choice"

This is the standard Tory loyalist cry since the beginning of time. Before GE2015 you were all saying it about Ed Miliband, before that it was POGWAS, I dare say your predecessors were saying the same about Neil Kinnock and Keir Hardy!

It's not very convincing any more.
    Sounds convincing to me and was convincing enough to the electorate. Can add Foot and others to the lists.

IDS-style histrionics are far less convincing.
  • Options

Indigo said:

But tomorrow's challenges will be.... the EU.
  • Options

Mr. EICIPM, I can't help but feel your acronym has passed from optimistic to fantastical.

Nonsense! Ed is playing a long game.

Also, I *may* be the alter ego of an existing PBer, deployed for comic effect ;-)
  • Options
    :wink:
  • Options

Indigo said:

So he ends up with no local Tory party across large parts of the Shires. Not the brightest of moves.
  • Options
    Mr. EICIPM, or maybe an existing PBer is *your* alter-ego!

Ed Miliband may be playing a long game*.

*Of Dungeons and Dragons^.

^I apologise to any D&D players we may have here.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband

STR 1
    DEX 1
    CON 3
    INT 20
    WIS 10
    CHA 2
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Roger said:

Indigo said:

Interestingly I read a poll yesterday looking for the most trustworthy people in the country. Gove came 84th out of 84. I'm surprised no one researched this before giving him such a prominent role in the Leave campaign

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/wildlife-presenter-david-attenborough-is-named-the-uks-most-trustworthy-figure-9102139.html
    Gove isn't popular in a leftie paper like the Indy, well there is a shocker.

Gove is perfect Chancellor of the Exchequer material. He is clever, cerebral and wants to get something done rather than play silly voting buying tricks and wheezes. Tory chancellors are always unpopular, their job is taking away people's sweeties, and cutting back on waste, so his profile won't do any harm at all there. Finally, he is from a modest background, and is immune to the posh boy label, and can't be accused of not understand how the man in the street lives.
  • Options

That sounds eerily like the REMAIN, 'we can change the EU from the inside' chant. And that's nonsense too.

• Options
    Mr. EICIPM, is he a level 7 Socialist?
  • Options

Indigo said:

I think the economy, the deficit, tax rates, health, education etc could be challenging too ...
  • Options
    EICIPM said:

Ed Miliband

STR 1
    DEX 1
    CON 3
    INT 20
    WIS 10
    CHA 2

Jeremy Corbyn

Str 7
    Dex 3
    Con 8
    Int 4
    Wis 1
    Cha 16

Chaotic Neutral
  • Options
    EICIPM said:

Ed Miliband

STR 1
    DEX 1
    CON 3
    INT 20
    WIS 10
    CHA 2

Min maxing can be be effective, as I understand it, in the right circumstances, Though I like the idea of assessing Leaders this way.

David Cameron

STR 6
    Dex 15
    Con 6
    Int 12
    WIS 9
    CHA 12

Jeremy Corbyn

STR 12
    DEX 1
    Con 13
    Int 2
    WIS 1
    CHA 5

Note: I've never played D&D
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

Norm said:

Indigo said:

Firstly I'd only call it a triumph if the margin is something like 56:44 or better which is somewhat open to doubt. Secondly given the number who are only reluctantly voting Remain triumph seems to be an odd word to use anyway. It implies the man using is gloating behind his whisky.
    56/44 is not a triumph. That's the NO win in Scotland and it didn't feel like a triumph, more a huge relief, and the margin wasnt big enough to put the issue to bed for a month, let alone a generation.

Cameron needs 60/40 to call it a triumph. And if he gets it he will then be able to retire with some respect.... before Europe does something awful and his deal is proven worthless and everyone decides they hate him. Then the referendum demands will start again.

Maybe so but it is about the margin where he could feel safe from the accusation that his personal duplicity etc was a decisive factor in affecting the outcome.
  • Options
    Mr. Trompette, except that it's the PCP that whittles down the leadership nominees to two, and if someone undesirable gets elected by the membership an MP can still jump ship.
  • Options

Indigo said:

I think the economy, the deficit, tax rates, health, education etc could be challenging too ...
    If you think the EU is suddenly going to become a non issue if we vote to Remain then you are in for a very nasty shock. And it won't be the Eurosceptics driving it, it will be the EU itself.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2016

Indigo said:

The designated nomination officer will not be appointed by Cameron personally but by a party hack who may not agree with Cameron.
  • Options
    The only good news here is that Osborne has almost no chance of being handed the leadership a la Gordon.
    chestnut said:

felix said:

Eerily reminiscent of New Labour arrogance. It will end the same way.
  • Options

Sounds convincing to me and was convincing enough to the electorate. Can add Foot and others to the lists.

Nah, "vote for me because the other guy is more crap" is just a call to stay on the sofa. I want to have a reason to vote for a party, otherwise it's just the political equivalent of high street banking, where they all offer a crap service and try to win your custom on the basis of not being quite as crap as their competitors. After a while the sliver of crapness differentiating the options is so small as to be insignificant, or they are all sufficiently crap options that you can't be bothered to vote for any of them
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

It is not just about Europe. Look at Tory councillors' consternation at plans to nationalise the schools, for instance. It goes back to GE2015. The problem is not the small majority per se but the way it was won: not by a popular campaign in favour of anything at all but by microtargetting the message that Ed Miliband was a bit of a prat The election did not, as Labour's had in 1997 with its pledge cards, involve pointing all Conservative MPs in the same direction, let alone the electorate.

This is not to question the validity of the result. Cameron won a majority -- but not a mandate to do anything in particular.

Absolutely so, Mr John.

It will be a bit ironic, won`t it, if Cameron can get his policies through only when they enjoy the support of the SNP. Irony in trumps.

But Cameron only "won" the last election by grossly overspending, having found a loophole in electoral law.

And nine of his sitting MPs ought to be disqualified immediately anyway, for not complying with electoral law. No loopholes for them!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The penny's dropping.

More than the Labour party left in the treasury according to Liam Byrne .
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Neil VW said
    'The boundary changes go through in 2018 automatically, without any vote, no? '

No -Parliament still has to approve the proposals. The vote is likely in Autumn 2018.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    As we are entering the realms of novels, perhaps I can suggest that if there is a narrow Leave win, that Cameron will call a General Election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

EICIPM said:

Ed Miliband

STR 1
    DEX 1
    CON 3
    INT 20
    WIS 10
    CHA 2

Min maxing can be be effective, as I understand it, in the right circumstances, Though I like the idea of assessing Leaders this way.

David Cameron

STR 6
    Dex 15
    Con 6
    Int 12
    WIS 9
    CHA 12

Jeremy Corbyn

STR 12
    DEX 1
    Con 13
    Int 2
    WIS 1
    CHA 5

Note: I've never played D&D
    I would give Dave a high CON value as he seems immune to poisoning attempts e.G. by IDS.

Jeremy: a Chaotic Left Monk
    Dave: a Lawful Right Bard

Michael Fallon: Barbarian for hire

Crosby: Neutral Evil Sorceror
  • Options
    I suspect what annoys eurosceptic Tories most is the way Cameron has cavorted with the parties natural enemies in order to secure his "triumph". That picture with Pantsdown and the EU troughing Kinnock will be difficult to forget.
  • Options

Indigo said:

If you think the EU is suddenly going to become a non issue if we vote to Remain then you are in for a very nasty shock. And it won't be the Eurosceptics driving it, it will be the EU itself.
    Nah the EU has bigger fish to fry and reigniting "the British problem" is the last thing on their mind. Their priorities are saving Schengen, saving the Euro, Greece and resolving the migrant crisis. All of which we are absent partners from. We are the last thing on their mind.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    The D&D ratings are fun - worthy of a Xmas column.

On topic, I suspect that we are in the last 3 months of DC's premiership. If he loses, he'll quit instantly. But if he wins, I think he'll also quit, in a glow of quiet satisfaction. He'll have won the last big battle before the next GE. Why would he hang on so as to have a year or two of tedious squabbles?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Be interesting to see threads on this and Kipper prospects in those seats.
    Labour is on course to suffer its worst result in opposition for 34 years at the local elections, one of Britain’s most respected polling experts has warned.

The party will lose 170 councillors and control of a string of councils if people vote as the polls currently suggest, according to analysis by Prof John Curtice for The Telegraph.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/24/labour-set-for-worst-council-defeat-in-opposition-for-34-years/
  • Options

As we are entering the realms of novels, perhaps I can suggest that if there is a narrow Leave win, that Cameron will call a General Election.

Not easy to call one, though I suppose if he managed it through the processes of the FTA no time for a leadership election and so seeking public endorsement of him as party leader in a sense, like Tsipras despite reneging on everything he ever promised.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    @David_E

I believe the 'designated nomination officer' is/are (paid) contractual employees of central office. They'll do what Feldman tells them to do.

cf howard v flight in 2005 for leader's powers during GE campaign.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Nah, "vote for me because the other guy is more crap" is just a call to stay on the sofa. I want to have a reason to vote for a party, otherwise it's just the political equivalent of high street banking, where they all offer a crap service and try to win your custom on the basis of not being quite as crap as their competitors. After a while the sliver of crapness differentiating the options is so small as to be insignificant, or they are all sufficiently crap options that you can't be bothered to vote for any of them
    Nah vote for me for sound governance and the other guy is crap is the entire purpose of the Conservatives. The world's oldest political party for a reason. Issues change, crap opposition is eternal.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The problem will not be that LEAVE lose, it'll be that REMAIN and Cameron in particular have made it a grudge match by playing dirty. They should have expected no less
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just on D&D, a reminder of this, which I posted last year:

Edited extra bit: ah, thought we could insert images directly, but a web link is needed. Fiddlesticks.

I made comedy (and curtailed) character sheets for Cameron, Clegg, Miliband and Salmond. No idea what the address is now, though.
  • Options
    Telegraph:

Labour is on course to suffer its worst result in opposition for 34 years at the local elections, one of Britain’s most respected polling experts has warned.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    EICIPM said:

REMAIN and Cameron in particular have made it a grudge match by playing dirty.

WWWWHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEEEEEE....
  • Options

The D&D ratings are fun - worthy of a Xmas column.

On topic, I suspect that we are in the last 3 months of DC's premiership. If he loses, he'll quit instantly. But if he wins, I think he'll also quit, in a glow of quiet satisfaction. He'll have won the last big battle before the next GE. Why would he hang on so as to have a year or two of tedious squabbles?

Because he feels he has things left to do. Big Society etc
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    On present trends the next election will produce a minority government for Real and with UKIP on the rise
  • Options
    Mr. P, I'm sure that'll help restore harmony to the Conservatives :p
  • Options
    Yup, but grinning whilst Obama disses us was the final straw.

Cameron's conduct since this started has plumbed new depths every week. Just when I think it can't get worse - it does. I've given up on him.
    Norm said:

I suspect what annoys eurosceptic Tories most is the way Cameron has cavorted with the parties natural enemies in order to secure his "triumph". That picture with Pantsdown and the EU troughing Kinnock will be difficult to forget.

• Options
    If people had been paying attention during the AV referendum, they would know Cameron plays to win.

What is most entertaining is the posters who were cheering him on that time, now "betrayed, disgusted, shocked and OUTRAGED" at him doing exactly the same thing, for the same reasons, and expecting the same result.
  • Options
    EICIPM said:

The problem will not be that LEAVE lose, it'll be that REMAIN and Cameron in particular have made it a grudge match by playing dirty. They should have expected no less

Only if you view not rolling over as dirty.

The idea that a new entrant joining a queue at the back is viewed as a threat rather than the norm shows just how deluded some people are. Of course you join a queue at the back any one can see that, it shouldn't come as unexpected.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    EICIPM said:

The Eurosceptics made it a grudge match in the 90s. What is happening now is just a realisation that they are on the losing side.
  • Options

Yup, but grinning whilst Obama disses us

When is "back of the queue" a diss?

WTF has gotten (sic) into these people?

Do you never join the back of a queue? Must make you really popular in Sainsbury's
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Be interesting to see threads on this and Kipper prospects in those seats.

The party will lose 170 councillors and control of a string of councils if people vote as the polls currently suggest, according to analysis by Prof John Curtice for The Telegraph.

But in 2011 Labour gained 857 seats compared with 2007 - when Blair was still in office. Losing 170 would still mean that Labour had gained 680 compared with Blair's final set of local elections!
  • Options

Telegraph:

Only in terms of the fall in the number of Labour councillors - not the absolute number elected presumably?
  • Options

Mr. P, I'm sure that'll help restore harmony to the Conservatives :p

I am not sure that is necessarily a desirable outcome. It might be better for all concerned if the closet Kippers were actually honest with their electorate and stopped standing under a false flag
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Surely the PB received wisdom, that Dave's successor will have to be a Leaver, has taken a pounding. Gove has made too many unforced errors and Boris has confirmed some dark suspicions. Many Tory MPs will conclude that this Leave lark really isn't worth the bother - why jeopardise your reputation and prospects by being associated with jokers. This has been a dark week for Tory euroscepticism. Meanwhille Osborne is firmly back in the frame.

Osborne loses to Corbyn, apart from that, a flawless plan.
    My prediction

The result of the next GE will be Tory 32%, Lab 33%, UKIP 17%, LibDem 9% leading to a Labour minority Government lead by Corbyn.
    Jezza as PM - Absolute comedy gold. A 24 carat nugget of titterness and chuckledom worthy of equality with MikeK's 120 UKIP MPs forecast for last May.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

Yup, but grinning whilst Obama disses us

When is "back of the queue" a diss?

WTF has gotten (sic) into these people?

Do you never join the back of a queue? Must make you really popular in Sainsbury's
    I join the back of the line when visiting Walmart in Florida.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

I join the back of the line when visiting Walmart in Florida.

How many films movies in your Netflix line queue?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Nah vote for me for sound governance and the other guy is crap is the entire purpose of the Conservatives. The world's oldest political party for a reason. Issues change, crap opposition is eternal.
    Conservatives have reigned continously at the Buckinghamshire County Council longer than any political party has governed continuously anywhere else in the world - over 130 years.
This discussion has been closed.