Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Cameron and his team are targeting parents with childre

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Cameron and his team are targeting parents with children

The more we learn about the Tory campaign at GE2015 the more we realise that micro-targeting specific demographic group on Facebook played a big part and looks set to be ever more significant in future election. You tailor a special message to those who fit the criteria and don’t waste money on those who don’t.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    First like Leicester!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Second child syndrome.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,913
    Thanks OGH for getting rid of comments we'd already written!

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Goldman Sachs will have gotten a whole bunch of major figures to talk at conferences. Hillary Clinton is no doubt one (she also spoke at a Bernstein conference I went to), but there will also be people from across the political spectrum - and some of those people will be Brexiters.

They pay Mrs Clinton - and others - to be provocative at conferences, so that fund managers (like me) will go to the conferences, and so GS can try and try and persuade us to trade with them.

So the facts may be right, but the conclusion slanted.
    As an aside, I would bet Nigel Farage hits the 'investment bank lecture circuit' after he steps down from the UKIP leadership. He'll soon be pocketing £50k a speech from Goldmans, Morgans and the like. There will be no shortage of interest in getting him to come along and be contentious.
    Not after what he's said about them. Repeatedly.
    The investment banks won't care, and as Farage won't be gagged by them, I reckon he'll be up for it.

It's hard to turn down £50k for turning up and trotting out a speech. (That you've already given 100 times before.)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    "Comments are disabled for this video."

Always disabled. Always..
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,024
    I can't help thinking that the BHS story is not going to play well for the government.

Fatcats in tax havens taking all the money while the workers lose their jobs and pensions.

I can't help thinking that the BHS story is not going to play well for the government.

Fatcats in tax havens taking all the money while the workers lose their jobs and pensions.

My immediate thought is defined benefit pension scheme gone wrong.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,000
    edited April 2016
    Is this micro-targetting, or just an age breakdown? Young people vote Remain and have kids, old people vote Leave and have adult children, very young people without kids think Remain but won't vote.
    EPG said:

Is this micro-targetting, or just an age breakdown? Young people vote Remain and have kids, old people vote Leave and have adult children, very young people without kids think Remain but won't vote.

Arf. Good spot.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Levels of youth unemployment in EU are eye-watering. Not one of its great achievements.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Interesting that women without kids are the most likely to vote to leave.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,290
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Goldman Sachs will have gotten a whole bunch of major figures to talk at conferences. Hillary Clinton is no doubt one (she also spoke at a Bernstein conference I went to), but there will also be people from across the political spectrum - and some of those people will be Brexiters.

They pay Mrs Clinton - and others - to be provocative at conferences, so that fund managers (like me) will go to the conferences, and so GS can try and try and persuade us to trade with them.

As an aside, I would bet Nigel Farage hits the 'investment bank lecture circuit' after he steps down from the UKIP leadership. He'll soon be pocketing £50k a speech from Goldmans, Morgans and the like. There will be no shortage of interest in getting him to come along and be contentious.
    The investment banks won't care, and as Farage won't be gagged by them, I reckon he'll be up for it.

It's hard to turn down £50k for turning up and trotting out a speech. (That you've already given 100 times before.)
    I'm sure you're right about everyone else, I just don't think Goldman Sachs will be getting out their chequebook in a hurry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=750uBYcabKI (relevant part from 1.25) More ballsy than I'd ever be, that's for sure.
  • The more we learn about the Tory campaign at GE2015 the more we realise that micro-targeting specific demographic group on Facebook played a big part and looks set to be ever more significant in future election. You tailor a special message to those who fit the criteria and don’t waste money on those who don’t.

Interesting that some of the first hires Remain made were the boys and girls who worked on Tory digital campaign in the 2015 general election.

O/T - Just had my first council election canvassing session this cycle.

Middle class area, though we under strict instructions not to mention the referendum, was surprised by the number of voters who needed to be reassured that the referendum isn't next Thursday, just locals and police commissioner elections.

'We don't want to miss voting in the referendum' was their sentiment.
    tlg86 said:

I'm guessing that if women still marry earlier, women without kids at home who vote are the oldest of the four groups, on average. The men-without will include more 30-somethings while the women-without will include more 80-somethings.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sure you're right about everyone else, I just don't think Goldman Sachs will be getting out their chequebook in a hurry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=750uBYcabKI (relevant part from 1.25) More ballsy than I'd ever be, that's for sure.
    Money before principles.
    EPG said:

tlg86 said:

I'm guessing that if women still marry earlier, women without kids at home who vote are the oldest of the four groups, on average. The men-without will include more 30-somethings while the women-without will include more 80-somethings.
    Yes, it would be useful to see this normalised by age.
    Pulpstar said:

People are going to read these two statements and draw one conclusion:

' Since May 2000, the Green family and other shareholders have taken £586m out of BHS '

' Over the past 16 years, the BHS pension fund has fallen from a £5m surplus into a £571m deficit '

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/25/bhs-owner-retail-acquisitions-25m-administration

http://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2016/apr/25/sir-philip-green-must-do-more-to-sort-out-the-bhs-pension-mess

Now it doesn't matter how erroneous that conclusion they draw is but it fits into the meme of 'fatcats in tax havens, one law for the rich etc'.

And with the recent story about the Cameron family and tax avoidance ....

• GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    The State whould set up a way for children to report on their parents if there's any suspicion that they might vote LEAVE. It's their patriotic duty.

"Who denounced you?" said Winston.

"It was my little daughter," said Parsons with a sort of doleful pride. "She listened at the keyhole. Heard what I was saying, and nipped off to the patrols the very next day. Pretty smart for a nipper of seven, eh? I don't bear her any grudge for it. In fact I'm proud of her. It shows I brought her up in the right spirit, anyway."

• welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pulpstar said:

The whole concept of Defined Benefit (DB) schemes has been roundly screwed up by Govts of both stripes making the long term trends in demographics and economics worse.

Lawson taxed pension surpluses ( I think ) way back and of course Brown decided in 97 that taxing pension schemes was a great way of raising £5 billion as it was so complex nobody would notice and if they did the bill wouldn't crystallise for decades. Add that to discount rates for calculating liabilities totally spannered by interest rates at all time lows and rising longevity and you have the current mess.

Pulpstar said:

' Since May 2000, the Green family and other shareholders have taken £586m out of BHS '

' Over the past 16 years, the BHS pension fund has fallen from a £5m surplus into a £571m deficit '

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/25/bhs-owner-retail-acquisitions-25m-administration

http://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2016/apr/25/sir-philip-green-must-do-more-to-sort-out-the-bhs-pension-mess

Now it doesn't matter how erroneous that conclusion they draw is but it fits into the meme of 'fatcats in tax havens, one law for the rich etc'.

Auditors will have had to have signed off the pension element of the accounts (10% corridors and so forth), undoubtedly it's all gone wrong - the question as to whether anything worse than fund underperformance has come into it though...
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GeoffM said:

The State whould set up a way for children to report on their parents if there's any suspicion that they might vote LEAVE. It's their patriotic duty.

Luckily in Scotland they already have!
    In what appeared to be an endorsement for a parliamentary inquiry into the scheme, he said: “I want to make sure that if we do anything we do it properly, rather than in a cack-handed way. I think there should be warning bells ringing in [government] about the implementation of the Children and Young People Act, because there are serious concerns among professionals about it.”

This view was echoed by Jim Eadie, an SNP MSP in the last parliament, who said: “I was proud to vote for the legislation but it is legitimate for people to ask questions and seek reassurance that the implementation of this will be adequately resourced. It should be kept under review as with all legislation and if it has to be modified and changed, that is appropriate.”

A YouGov poll for The Times last month showed that the policy is unpopular with voters. Only 32 per cent of Scots support the scheme while 48 per cent oppose it. Within this, only 6 per cent strongly support it and 26 per cent strongly oppose it.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/sturgeon-faces-revolt-from-former-named-person-allies-m03gq3fqj
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Auditors will have had to have signed off the pension element of the accounts (10% corridors and so forth), undoubtedly it's all gone wrong - the question as to whether anything worse than fund underperformance has come into it though...
    Put not your trust in auditors.

Pulpstar said:

Probably right. The Guardian comments section is well populated with comments from those who have sod all idea how pensions work (with some well informed exceptions - and I imagine other newspaper comments are similar not just the Graun's) and can't add up. However, none of that matters if they " feel " it's wrong, and that's how it will play. They may well be right of course mind, even if they are clueless as to the finer workings of it all.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Pulpstar said:

A truly nasty comment about Cameron and his family. The swivel-eyed are just as unpleasant as the lefties.
  • dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    The Remain campaign are right to target families that are discussing the referendum in terms of the interests of the next generation. We are doing just that. Both my children are employed by European companies with offices in the UK. I shall vote with their futures very much in mind. I do not see the vote to be about me. It is more about them and their children. I was impressed by Kathy Gyngell on Conservative Woman and her article written more in sorrow than anger about the state of the Leave campaign. Much of the debate on here is conducted with anger and shrillness which saddens me. A sense of perspective is necessary. In 2011 in the AV referendum Chris Huhne -remember him?-was forever shouting "betrayal" at the PM and warning that the coalition government was threatened. Nonsense. Four years on it was a distant memory. A week in politics is a long time. There will be 200 weeks from the referendum to GE 2020. Please put it in proportion. By then it will be a distant memory.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The likely main culprit is the decline in discount rates linked to low base rates which have the effect of jacking up notional liabilities. Low interest rates prop up housing and kill pensions. Also once a firm stops sponsoring a scheme ( as now for BHS in administration) the equation for liability calculation alters (for the worse), so it may not be comparing apples with apples with the numbers we are hearing.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Is it still owned Cameron's Monaco based waste tsar?
    perdix said:

Pulpstar said:

A truly nasty comment about Cameron and his family. The swivel-eyed are just as unpleasant as the lefties.
    I think you've just proved that you are as 'swivel-eyed' as anyone on this site.

Now try and put yourself in the place of an ordinary person and think how they might regard the BHS story.

You might lie to consider the recent thread header which showed what groups of people the Conservative party is associated with.
    welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably right. The Guardian comments section is well populated with comments from those who have sod all idea how pensions work (with some well informed exceptions - and I imagine other newspaper comments are similar not just the Graun's) and can't add up. However, none of that matters if they " feel " it's wrong, and that's how it will play. They may well be right of course mind, even if they are clueless as to the finer workings of it all.
    Exactly.

Nobody is going to think that BHS has made huge profits, after all Philip Green sold it for a quid.

So they'll all draw one conclusion as to where the money came from.

Whether that conclusion is right or wrong is irrelevant.

Roger said:

Philip Green sold it for a quid to this bunch:

' More than £25m was paid from BHS to its owner, Retail Acquisitions, in the 13 months between the department store’s sale and it collapsing into administration, the Guardian understands.

Almost 11,000 jobs are at risk after BHS called in administrators on Monday, the UK’s biggest high street failure since the collapse of Woolworths in 2008.

Sources with knowledge of BHS’s finances say that the payments to Retail Acquisitions included £2.8m in management fees, £2.1m in salaries and wages, £11m in legal and professional fees and £10m in interest payments.

The man behind Retail Acquisitions is Dominic Chappell, a former racing driver who has been declared bankrupt twice. Chappell owns 90% of Retail Acquisitions, which bought BHS for £1 from Sir Philip Green in March 2015.

The payments include a £8.4m loan to Retail Acquisitions, taken out in March 2015, which has already been reported by the Guardian. This is part of the professional fees.

Some £7m of the £10m of interest payments is understood to have been passed on to the investment firm Grovepoint for a loan taken out to support BHS.

The payments will raise questions about the management of BHS over the last year. '

Roger said:

' More than £25m was paid from BHS to its owner, Retail Acquisitions, in the 13 months between the department store’s sale and it collapsing into administration, the Guardian understands.

Almost 11,000 jobs are at risk after BHS called in administrators on Monday, the UK’s biggest high street failure since the collapse of Woolworths in 2008.

Sources with knowledge of BHS’s finances say that the payments to Retail Acquisitions included £2.8m in management fees, £2.1m in salaries and wages, £11m in legal and professional fees and £10m in interest payments.

The man behind Retail Acquisitions is Dominic Chappell, a former racing driver who has been declared bankrupt twice. Chappell owns 90% of Retail Acquisitions, which bought BHS for £1 from Sir Philip Green in March 2015.

The payments include a £8.4m loan to Retail Acquisitions, taken out in March 2015, which has already been reported by the Guardian. This is part of the professional fees.

Some £7m of the £10m of interest payments is understood to have been passed on to the investment firm Grovepoint for a loan taken out to support BHS.

The payments will raise questions about the management of BHS over the last year. '

There was a similar story of millions disappearing when Rover was bought, I believe.
    GeoffM said:

"Who denounced you?" said Winston.

"It was my little daughter," said Parsons with a sort of doleful pride. "She listened at the keyhole. Heard what I was saying, and nipped off to the patrols the very next day. Pretty smart for a nipper of seven, eh? I don't bear her any grudge for it. In fact I'm proud of her. It shows I brought her up in the right spirit, anyway."

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!
    Forty minutes later, after the event had finished, I was preparing to leave – when I was abruptly accosted by a stern-looking former Cabinet minister.

“The line about the cashmere coat,” said Mr Duncan Smith hotly, without preamble. “It was nothing to do with homosexuality!”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/ids-is-cross-about-peter-mandelsons-fancy-coat--but-he-wants-you/
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

There was a similar story of millions disappearing when Rover was bought, I believe.
    Its not a pretty story nor is it an original one.

And I doubt it will be the last time we hear similar.

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

While I wouldn't want to comment specifically on this case, I think we (as a society) need to have much greater punishments for those who loot firms and leave the administrator with a nasty mess.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

While I wouldn't want to comment specifically on this case, I think we (as a society) need to have much greater punishments for those who loot firms and leave the administrator with a nasty mess.
    It's so bloody unimaginative apart from anything else.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Jailtime.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

It sounds disgusting.
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

It sounds disgusting.
    Buy for a pound, pay yourself millions, wind it up. We could all do that. Nice work if you can get it.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Let's see what happens with Tata Steel.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

I've been a victim of such employers twice.
    It's times like that when I wish that we had something that can scare the crap out of people like the US DoJ over dodgy dealings.

perdix said:

Pulpstar said:

Which part of the post is untrue ?
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

The trouble is in defining "loot".

For example:Company has pension deficit but paying agreed sums ( by Regulators) towards it and making good profits, pays well covered dividend then unexpectedly loses customer/exchange rate moves badly/ has genuine plant fire/extra completion/whatever and collapses two years later. Was that dividend "loot"? I think not and God help us all if we get to that point. Sadly many commenting in the Graun I suspect have an issue with any form of " profit " and would think it was "loot".

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

It sounds disgusting.
    Buy for a pound, pay yourself millions, wind it up. We could all do that. Nice work if you can get it.
    You should also check out what happened before too ! Maybe selling for a pound meant the nasty deed was done on someone else's watch. They , of course, would have got a premium to do that.
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

The trouble is in defining "loot".

For example:Company has pension deficit but paying agreed sums ( by Regulators) towards it and making good profits, pays well covered dividend then unexpectedly loses customer/exchange rate moves badly/ has genuine plant fire/extra completion/whatever and collapses two years later. Was that dividend "loot"? I think not and God help us all if we get to that point. Sadly many commenting in the Graun I suspect have an issue with any form of " profit " and would think it was "loot".
    Has any of that happened to BHS?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    PPP Rhode Island

GOP
    Trump 61
    Kasich 23
    Cruz 13

Dems
    Clinton 45
    Sanders 49
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/PPP_RI_GOP_April_2016.pdf
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,938
    Scott_P said:

GeoffM said:

Luckily in Scotland they already have!
    In what appeared to be an endorsement for a parliamentary inquiry into the scheme, he said: “I want to make sure that if we do anything we do it properly, rather than in a cack-handed way. I think there should be warning bells ringing in [government] about the implementation of the Children and Young People Act, because there are serious concerns among professionals about it.”

This view was echoed by Jim Eadie, an SNP MSP in the last parliament, who said: “I was proud to vote for the legislation but it is legitimate for people to ask questions and seek reassurance that the implementation of this will be adequately resourced. It should be kept under review as with all legislation and if it has to be modified and changed, that is appropriate.”

A YouGov poll for The Times last month showed that the policy is unpopular with voters. Only 32 per cent of Scots support the scheme while 48 per cent oppose it. Within this, only 6 per cent strongly support it and 26 per cent strongly oppose it.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/sturgeon-faces-revolt-from-former-named-person-allies-m03gq3fqj

If the 'Ruth Davidson for third best' party is promoted to the 'Ruth Davidson for second best' party, does that mean they'll start voting against legislation they really, really oppose rather than just abstaining?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2016
  • Remember the Farepak case?
    As far as I recall, Farepak, a profitable subsidiary supplying Xmas hampers, lent money to its parent which the parent didn't pay back, resulting in its customers being out of pocket.
  • shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    "David Cameron.....In the event, he didn’t even try. Following a mockery of a renegotiation, he now with almost unimaginable cynicism claims a Europe reformed and asks us to vote for it." --- Conservative sh Foreign Secretary

Last 100days of Dodgy Dave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/after-40-years-of-being-lied-to-its-time-to-leave-the-eu/
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Remember the Farepak case?
    As far as I recall, Farepak, a profitable subsidiary supplying Xmas hampers, lent money to its parent which the parent didn't pay back, resulting in its customers being out of pocket.

If a benefit claimant pulled a stunt like that, there would be jail time.

@ tig86
    I was being more general. If we go around demonising business ( I am not commenting one way or the other on BHS) and nibble away at the concept of limited liability don't be surprised if the wheels start coming off job creation in the future. Make something too risky or onerous and people will stop doing it. We need to be careful we don't regulate our way out of business in our haste to criticise "fat cats/tax dodgers etc etc.

• "No doubt OUT is doing the same about other sub-groups."

I doubt it. It simply lacks the resources and the split with rival camps impaired the preparation needed for this. Some of the advertising running at present has been paid for by us taxpayers.
    HYUFD said:

PPP Rhode Island

GOP
    Trump 61
    Kasich 23
    Cruz 13

Dems
    Clinton 45
    Sanders 49

Trump picking up steam lol
    welshowl said:

@ tig86
    I was being more general. If we go around demonising business ( I am not commenting one way or the other on BHS) and nibble away at the concept of limited liability don't be surprised if the wheels start coming off job creation in the future. Make something too risky or onerous and people will stop doing it. We need to be careful we don't regulate our way out of business in our haste to criticise "fat cats/tax dodgers etc etc.

I know, it's not an easy thing to deal with.
  • shiney2 said:

"David Cameron.....In the event, he didn’t even try. Following a mockery of a renegotiation, he now with almost unimaginable cynicism claims a Europe reformed and asks us to vote for it." --- Conservative sh Foreign Secretary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/after-40-years-of-being-lied-to-its-time-to-leave-the-eu/

Who
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    welshowl said:

@ tig86

We should not demonise business. But, we should not hesitate to demonise directors who rip businesses off.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is MOE stuff though. No sign of Hunt winning public support .
    edited April 2016

shiney2 said:

Who
    He's PM, @ the moment..

New poll revealed on 10pm News. With a midnight embargo...
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,275

shiney2 said:

Who
    Well, at least he didn't mention Zimbabwe, for once.
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Bizarre poll. Why is it like that?

Can't think of anything specific that the EU has done for my children.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016
    I still maintain that asking people whether they "support" the strikes is asking completely the wrong question. What they need to be asking is who people blame for the strikes, the doctors or the Tories.

In a way, I think the Tories may suffer a similar fate to the one Labour had in the last parliament, regarding austerity - they didn't benefit much even when public anger at the cuts grew, because people blamed Labour for the cuts happening in the first place due to the supposed "mess they left behind". Similarly, even if public frustration at the doctors' strikes is growing, it doesn't at all follow that that means people will be more supportive of Jeremy Hunt's position if they blame him for provoking the nice, respectable doctors into it.
    @politicshome: Vote Leave says quitting EU could resolve junior doctors row: https://t.co/jfbVvuLLCm https://t.co/wJfBsBG1ZG
  • shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Who
    He's PM, @ the moment..
    I don't understand your reply. I think your article was by Michael Ancram, known by no one
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Vote Leave says quitting EU could resolve junior doctors row: https://t.co/jfbVvuLLCm https://t.co/wJfBsBG1ZG

Well it might result in a new health secretary. :D

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Who
    He's PM, @ the moment..
    I don't understand your reply. I think your article was by Michael Ancram, known by no one
    Known to Dodgy Dave.

Dodgy worked for him while climbing the greasy pole.

• JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE4EU Referendum Projection Countdown

12 hours 12 minutes 12 seconds
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765
    There are no plans to make immediate redundancies at high street chain BHS, business minister Anna Soubry has said.
    "The clear message is that BHS is still open for business as usual. There are no plans for immediate redundancies or store closures," she told MPs.

" business as usual" - not the best phrase to use in the circumstances!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,976
    This is brilliant. Trump attacking Kasich for reneging on his deal with Cruz by telling people to vote for him in Indiana.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

Kasich just announced that he wants the people of Indiana to vote for him. Typical politician - can't make a deal work.

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Let's see what happens with Tata Steel.
    Oh, it will be the same. Trouser what's going, put it into administration again.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,229
    Oh, whoops. Another foreign politician for Brexit.

One of the front runners for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada says he'd put Britain at the front of the queue:

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723896023618347008

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723896356964831232

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723897042800656384
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2016

This is brilliant. Trump attacking Kasich for reneging on his deal with Cruz by telling people to vote for him in Indiana.

Kasich just announced that he wants the people of Indiana to vote for him. Typical politician - can't make a deal work.

The alliance, that has already faltered, might not produce the expected result:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/724657036215070721

Who knew that socially liberal Kasich voters really don't like Ted Cruz ?
    The alliance has simply damaged the credibility of Kasich to his own people, the backtracking is even worse.

And the only thing it tells us is that Cruz is so far behind in Indiana that he feels that he needs to strike a deal.
  • It is MOE stuff though. No sign of Hunt winning public support .
    I listened to Jeremy Hunt in the HOC today and he made a very good case and he was supported by his colleagues. He also announced 11,500 new doctors (assume from abroad) by 2020 to enable the 7 day service. The doctor's desire to retain Saturday as a social day is archaic and is hard for ordinary workers on much lower wages who work weekends as normal with no enhancement to their pay. There are disagreements already in the BMA and the 'pilot was only ever produced at the last minute for the doctors to save face but Jeremy Hunt wasn't buying it. It takes a lot of courage to stand firm against a profession that is highly regarded in the Country and is using that position to blackmail a result in their favour. Jeremy Hunt stated that the doctors even opposed Aneurin Bevan
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

PPP Rhode Island

GOP
    Trump 61
    Kasich 23
    Cruz 13

Dems
    Clinton 45
    Sanders 49

Trump picking up steam lol
    Yes, looks like a clean sweep tomorrow
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

shiney2 said:

Who
    I'm rather surprised at that from Lord Lothian (Michael Ancram). I always had him down as at least vaguely europhile.
  • Oh, whoops. Another foreign politician for Brexit.

One of the front runners for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada says he'd put Britain at the front of the queue:

Problem with that is that they are not going to see power to be relevant to the debate
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I listened to Jeremy Hunt in the HOC today and he made a very good case and he was supported by his colleagues. He also announced 11,500 new doctors (assume from abroad) by 2020 to enable the 7 day service. The doctor's desire to retain Saturday as a social day is archaic and is hard for ordinary workers on much lower wages who work weekends as normal with no enhancement to their pay. There are disagreements already in the BMA and the 'pilot was only ever produced at the last minute for the doctors to save face but Jeremy Hunt wasn't buying it. It takes a lot of courage to stand firm against a profession that is highly regarded in the Country and is using that position to blackmail a result in their favour. Jeremy Hunt stated that the doctors even opposed Aneurin Bevan
    I suspect it's not the same doctors now opposing Hunt who were opposing Bevan.
    Speedy said:

The alliance has simply damaged the credibility of Kasich to his own people, the backtracking is even worse.

And the only thing it tells us is that Cruz is so far behind in Indiana that he feels that he needs to strike a deal.
    If Kasich voters were socially liberal... they'd be Bernie Democrats! But on a serious note, on the common US 5-point scale familiar from PPP crosstabs etc., Trump and Kasich voters are each over-represented among centrists and moderate-conservatives and divided by class. Trump voters think Republicans should be more moderate on economics; Kasich voters think that they should be less divisive on most civil liberty issues (but not abortion). Cruz tends to do better among very-conservatives who think the Republicans are too moderate.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Austin Reed are going to call in the administrators. Another example of a zombie business. I really do not know how they survived for so long. Austin Reed failed to adapt to a changing market and allowed the likes of TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt to eat into their market share.

I remember visiting one of their stores in central London and was told they do not sell shirts slim enough for me. The trend in recent years has been towards more fitted clothing so not having a true slim fit is simply inexcusable.

I know someone who worked in Austin Reed's head office and left as it was obvious where they were heading.
    HYUFD said:

PPP Rhode Island

GOP
    Trump 61
    Kasich 23
    Cruz 13

Dems
    Clinton 45
    Sanders 49

Pretty useless in terms of delegates on the GOP side, 13 delegates are given proportionally plus 1 for each one that passes 10% per congressional district or 2 to the winner if he gets 2/3 of the vote.

Of course with Trump at 61 with 13% undecideds there is scope that he gets more than 2/3rds of the vote, but the max. is 12 delegates.

Problem with that is that they are not going to see power to be relevant to the debate
    I think that the debate has moved on. 'International establishment STRONGLY advocates Remain (or we'll send the boys round)' is now factored in. We'll see how successful that is when the time comes.
  • Alistair said:

Good answer but it was the BMA
    edited April 2016

I hope someone has told him that Leave is promising protection to the medical and steel sectors.
    Sean_F said:

welshowl said:

@ tig86

We should not demonise business. But, we should not hesitate to demonise directors who rip businesses off.
    Quite. Pension deficits are very complex though and there's not a simple answer to this all.
    Alistair said:

I think the Gov't is absolubtely right with regards to the Doctors - the one policy I can't quite work out is forced academisation, but the apparent move to allow LEAs to become the academy manager if they can do so is a neat way out of that one.
    MP_SE said:

Austin Reed are going to call in the administrators. Another example of a zombie business. I really do not know how they survived for so long. Austin Reed failed to adapt to a changing market and allowed the likes of TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt to eat into their market share.

I remember visiting one of their stores in central London and was told they do not sell shirts slim enough for me. The trend in recent years has been towards more fitted clothing so not having a true slim fit is simply inexcusable.

I know someone who worked in Austin Reed's head office and left as it was obvious where they were heading.

If this leads to full blown recession, it's not good for Leave, oddly. Economic crisis isn't a popular time for change.
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Lord Salisbury (Robert Cranborne as was, former Leader of the Lords) has also come out for Brexit in a very elegant and historically well-informed letter.

http://capx.co/niall-ferguson-and-bruce-anderson-are-both-wrong-to-oppose-brexit/
    runnymede said:

shiney2 said:

Who
    I'm rather surprised at that from Lord Lothian (Michael Ancram). I always had him down as at least vaguely europhile.
    The man who was Chairman when the Tories ran their disastrous 2001 anti-Euro GE campaign?

I think that the debate has moved on. 'International establishment STRONGLY advocates Remain (or we'll send the boys round)' is now factored in. We'll see how successful that is when the time comes.
    I am for remain for many reasons but also respect the long held views of leave, though not Farage (he would make me vote leave if he was remain!! ). Listening to IDS bitterness is sad and I do not think he is good for leave as the left hate him with a passion. The result is far from won by either side but I will accept the will of the British voters either way and move on. Hopefully many will do the same but obviously some will be bitter on either side
    EPG said:

Speedy said:

If Kasich voters were socially liberal... they'd be Bernie Democrats! But on a serious note, on the common US 5-point scale familiar from PPP crosstabs etc., Trump and Kasich voters are each over-represented among centrists and moderate-conservatives and divided by class. Trump voters think Republicans should be more moderate on economics; Kasich voters think that they should be less divisive on most civil liberty issues (but not abortion). Cruz tends to do better among very-conservatives who think the Republicans are too moderate.
    Kasich and Cruz are at the extreme opposite sides on most issues, to say that their voters will be happy from the faltering deal is not very accurate, in the polls released today Cruz's unfavourables are uniformly higher that 2/3rds among Kasich voters.

And it shows:
    https://twitter.com/tonydokoupil/status/724677204823531524
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,229
    edited April 2016

This guy could be Canadian Prime Minister in Oct 2019.

This guy could be Canadian Prime Minister in 2020.
    Think it is unlikely with the popularity of Trudeau's new government
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,593

h ttps://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723896023618347008

h ttps://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723896356964831232

h ttps://twitter.com/jkenney/status/723897042800656384

Two points:

1) Whatever name the center-right is using in Canada this week[1] it lost the 2015 election bigstyle and Trudeau jnr's Liberals has a majority govt, so it'll be in power for at least four years. Jason Kenney's ability to bring about a Canada-UK FTA is the same as mine: zero
    2) "...There is no doubt...", "...would have...", "...should go...", "...might get done..."

NOTES
    [1] The split history in Canada is impressive: imagine if the UK Conservatives split, then the new party became popular, then they recombined, then they got elected, then won big, then lost big.

One of the front runners for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada says he'd put Britain at the front of the queue

The idea that we could even be in a queue at all with Canada is kind of humiliating. What use is HMS Anglosphere if the UK is just the first mate?
  • Spurs 1 WBA 1 (WBA just equalised ) squeaky bum time for Spurs
  • LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    Great polls for Trump all round. 2/3 in RI certainly within striking distance, and Cruz could slip under 10%. RI only place he will drop delegates tomorrow.

https://mediarelations.gwu.edu/americans-overwhelmingly-engaged-2016-election-tone-race-affecting-voters-new-gw-battleground-poll

Within 3 of HRC sounds right, plenty of time to convert that into a lead. No one is undecided regarding HRC, so those are only potential Trump voters.
This discussion has been closed.