Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2016 in General

imageUndefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited April 2016
    I'm first. That Trumps all else.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Very nice primer for the evening. Thanks.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Thanks Pulpstar, useful summary.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    I'm going to miss this primary season when it's gone. I don't want it to end.

Hey, suggestion for the RNC: start over in Iowa.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I had a look at some polls today, Trump seems to be increasing in strength from when I looked at the numbers to do with this thread.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the thread Pulpstar and also for pointing out earlier the value in Betfair's current 6.2 (5.94 net) against Trump being elected Potus come November.
    He's a very formidable candidate and even though he's unlikely to make it, I can see this price shortening to 4.0 or less over the next 6 months, thereby offering a decent trading opportunity.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is an impressive piece of work, Pulpstar, thanks. It must have taken you ages.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Why are Real Madrid not in their white kit....its a nightmare for those of us watching in black and white ;-)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Pulpstar said:

I had a look at some polls today, Trump seems to be increasing in strength from when I looked at the numbers to do with this thread.

My hunch is that Kasich and Cruz coming up with their pact just will play into Trump's narrative. However it seems so stupid for them to play into his hands in this way that I'm sure I must be missing something.
  • Options

This is an impressive piece of work, Pulpstar, thanks. It must have taken you ages.

It really didn't take me that long, I've been following the race so nerdingly closely it was more a case of banging it out onto paper (And checking latest facts) >< !
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Why are Real Madrid not in their white kit....its a nightmare for those of us watching in black and white ;-)

Black and white tv - luxury ....

Try picking out the teams by carrier pigeon report ....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016
    Thank you Pulpstar. Very useful.

"According to the sole government commissioned assessment of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the proposed agreement will have “few or no benefits to the UK”."
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/26/uk-governments-official-report-into-toxic-ttip-concluded-it-is-bad-for-britain/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    edited April 2016
    Can anyone explain why Kasich gave up his chance of being on the ticket by sidling up to Cruz?

Or what Sanders thinks he is doing still fighting this?

I think it is great that there is a democratic process that can make the Brexit campaigns look good but really, this is weird.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2016

Your old Black & White TV set must now be worth a small fortune. Do you still get the small disappearing white dot in the centre of the screen every time you turn it off?
  • Options
    "New York Times" reporting that Sanders will "reassess campaign" after tonight's primaries.

Via Fox News.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    Really out of touch to think that Obama's interference in our affairs would be anything other than a massive own goal.
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

CNN reporting from Pittsburgh, apparently breaking for Trump. CD14 is one of the trickier ones - if he takes CD14 it indicates 50+% in PA I think.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189299/presidential-election-2016-key-indicators.aspx?g_source=ELECTION_2016&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

Ted Cruz's net favourables have almost slipped to an all time low among republicans (his all time low is net 0).
    He dropped 12 points in 5 days (the bathroom war effect).

It gives you an indication as to why he had to try for a deal with Kasich, and why Trump looks likely to sweep it today.
    It's not that, Cruz's delegate shenanigans are really beginning irritate the voters. To compound it Cruz then did it again in Maine where LaPage had proposed the delegates be actual supporters of each candidate, a unity slate. This got big play in the NE. Alongside the Kasich deal I think there is a real chance he goes sub 10% in RI, with Trump potentially above 66.7%.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Very interesting thanks.

I am studying the local opinion polls here in the Philippines for the General election a week on Monday, it's it going to be fascinating to see how accurate it is, as you would think on the surface they have some almost insurmountable problems in getting a representative sample.

A country of 100 million people, 54.5 million registered voters, encompassing an archipelago of some 7,641 islands. 25 million people and probably a third of the electorate live in the capital, with many more spread out amongst hundreds of small regional cities, but probably half the population living out in the "province" in small village settlements. Quite a few of those in the remotest areas won't have a television set themselves but will share one communally, and may only have 2-3 mobile phones in the extended family, and certainly won't have a landline or an internet connection. But civic pride is keenly felt, and most adults will vote.

Up for election on 9th May are

12 seats to the Senate of the Philippines;
    All 297 seats to the House of Representatives of the Philippines;
    All governors, vice governors, and 772 seats to provincial boards for 81 provinces of the Philippines ;
    All mayors and vice mayors for 145 cities in the Philippines and for 1,489 municipalities of the Philippines;
    All members of the city councils in the Philippines and 11,924 seats on municipal councils in the Philippines; and
    Governor, vice governor and all 24 seats in the regional assembly of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

The pollsters in the UK don't know they are born!

http://www.sws.org.ph/pr20160425.htm
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    JackW said:

"New York Times" reporting that Sanders will "reassess campaign" after tonight's primaries.

Via Fox News.

Meanwhile, the Donald is making a play for the Bernie Bros:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/724993336000532480
  • Options
    Watching in a pub without sound. Did I see Ronaldo on the bench? As weird as Sanders.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MP_SE said:

"According to the sole government commissioned assessment of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the proposed agreement will have “few or no benefits to the UK”."
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/26/uk-governments-official-report-into-toxic-ttip-concluded-it-is-bad-for-britain/

Glad to see you have confidence in government reports, you seemed a little doubtful of their provenance last week.

:-)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DavidL said:

Watching in a pub without sound. Did I see Ronaldo on the bench? As weird as Sanders.

Not fully fit. That what I heard over the tube radio ;-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can anyone explain why Kasich gave up his chance of being on the ticket by sidling up to Cruz?

I wondered exactly the same ...... I suppose he must have just given up waiting for the call from Trump.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JackW said:

Via Fox News.

Thanks Jack
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

JackW said:

Via Fox News.

LOL the man has a sense of humour
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

JackW said:

Via Fox News.

That Trump is a right old scamp isn't he.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

I am studying the local opinion polls here in the Philippines for the General election a week on Monday, it's it going to be fascinating to see how accurate it is, as you would think on the surface they have some almost insurmountable problems in getting a representative sample.

A country of 100 million people, 54.5 million registered voters, encompassing an archipelago of some 7,641 islands. 25 million people and probably a third of the electorate live in the capital, with many more spread out amongst hundreds of small regional cities, but probably half the population living out in the "province" in small village settlements. Quite a few of those in the remotest areas won't have a television set themselves but will share one communally, and may only have 2-3 mobile phones in the extended family, and certainly won't have a landline or an internet connection. But civic pride is keenly felt, and most adults will vote.

All governors, vice governors, and 772 seats to provincial boards for 81 provinces of the Philippines ;
    All mayors and vice mayors for 145 cities in the Philippines and for 1,489 municipalities of the Philippines;
    All members of the city councils in the Philippines and 11,924 seats on municipal councils in the Philippines; and
    Governor, vice governor and all 24 seats in the regional assembly of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Interesting stuff.

Is there still fighting in Mindanao or is that all settled down?

If Manilla is 25% of the population then why is it 33% of turnout?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    After former Klan leader David Duke reportedly endorsed Trump a knight of the California Ku Klux Klan claims to have raised $20k for Clinton's campaign
    http://www.vocativ.com/312479/kkk-endorses-hillary-clinton-for-president/
  • Options

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Interesting stuff.

Is Imelda Marcos a shoe-in or will voters give her the boot?

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

Glad to see you have confidence in government reports, you seemed a little doubtful of their provenance last week.

A healthy dose of scepticism never hurt anyone.

I am sure we will be in a better position to determine the validity of the government commissioned report when we know more about TTIP. That is assuming it actually progresses further and does not get kicked into the long grass.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Don't forget that 10 years ago we didn't have smart phones, 20 years ago we didn't have the internet and 80 years ago we didn't have TV, let alone David Dimbleby or even his dad!

But somehow or other we still managed to get by when General Elections came along.

• Options
    @indigo How is Manny Pacquiao doing ?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Interesting stuff.

There is some low intensity stuff in Mindanao, with the odd territorial flare up, but really unless you go to some pretty out of the way places you wouldn't notice it.

That was an estimate, but simply most of the middle class lives in Manila, its compact and there are lots of places to vote. Farmers in the province might have a significant walk to vote, might not have been able to register owing to difficulties getting the paperwork organised, and might well feel a little bit more distant from national political goings on. All my middle class friends intend to vote, several of my working class friends and employees are not registered. There are lots of complexities in as much as lots of working class people travel to more prosperous areas to work, but need to register and vote in their home town.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Don't forget that 10 years ago we didn't have smart phones, 20 years ago we didn't have the internet and 80 years ago we didn't have TV, let alone David Dimbleby or even his dad!

But somehow or other we still managed to get by when General Elections came along.

You'll be telling us life went on before the EU next. And who could believe that?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I am sure the voting will go fine, it's the nightmare for the pollsters I was thinking about ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

MP_SE said:

One was for publication; one was only revealed after a FOI request. Draw your own conclusions.
  • Options
    Trump to be interviewed by Megyn Kelly.

Lol
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lol

I thought they had (not) kissed and made up? Fox really can't afford to have the republican candidate not speaking to them.
  • Options
    Church of England produces 'referendum prayer'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36142533

And they wonder why CoE attendance is through the floor...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

At least they didn't include the words Common Purpose.
  • Options

"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's". Or something.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

You'll be telling us life went on before the EU next. And who could believe that?
    Don't be stupid, there was no UK before the EU, merely a small barren island populated by a few starving savages
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Don't be stupid, there was no UK before the EU, merely a small barren island populated by a few starving savages
    And so it will be again. Who can doubt it?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Almost half of Britons pay no income tax while the richest are now shouldering the biggest burden on record, a new analysis has found.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that the proportion of working-age adults who do not pay income tax has risen from 34.3 per cent to 43.8 per cent, equivalent to 30million people*.

Over the same period the amount of income tax paid by the richest 1 per cent has risen from 24.4 per cent to 27.5 per cent, meaning that 300,000 people pay more than a quarter of the nation's income tax.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/nearly-half-of-britons-pay-no-income-tax-as-burden-on-rich-incre/

* This is clearly wrong, as there aren't 60+ million working age adults in the UK (even with the dodgy government figures)
  • Options

Almost half of Britons pay no income tax while the richest are now shouldering the biggest burden on record, a new analysis has found.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that the proportion of working-age adults who do not pay income tax has risen from 34.3 per cent to 43.8 per cent, equivalent to 30million people*.

Over the same period the amount of income tax paid by the richest 1 per cent has risen from 24.4 per cent to 27.5 per cent, meaning that 300,000 people pay more than a quarter of the nation's income tax.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/nearly-half-of-britons-pay-no-income-tax-as-burden-on-rich-incre/

* This is clearly wrong, as there aren't 60+ million working age adults in the UK (even with the dodgy government figures)

That is an awful lot of people not particularly incentivised to vote for a party trying to restrict public spending.

As they kept saying in Meet the Robinsons " I am not sure that this plan has been properly thought through ,"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

In the 70s we were the sick man of Europe, we then joined the EC, and miraculously stopped being the sick man of Europe.

Huzzah for the EC
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Thanks Pulpstar
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DavidL said:

That is an awful lot of people not particularly incentivised to vote for a party trying to restrict public spending.

As they kept saying in Meet the Robinsons " I am not sure that this plan has been properly thought through ,"
    It obviously even worse, as a lot of those people will also be on tax credits.

What it highlights to me is we clearly have far too many people being paid very little or not working, and there isn't an easy way to fix the former. Simply escalating minimum wage further won't do it. We have a huge structural imbalance, just as we do with service vs other sectors.

Would be interesting to know wage distributions in Germany. I am presuming because of a much bigger [semi]-skilled manufacturing base, those people get paid reasonably well.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

In the 70s we were the sick man of Europe, we then joined the EC, and miraculously stopped being the sick man of Europe.

Huzzah for the EC
    So, nothing to do with finding a lot of oil in the North Sea then? Or Maggie? Just the munificent EU. We are truly not worthy.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    No we didn't. Even you are not dumb enough to believe that. We joined and remained the sick man of Europe until we elected a leader who was willing and able to deal with the issues. Being in the EEC at the time had Sweet FA to do with it.
  • Options

This is idiocy, no wonder people believe in the magic money tree when they don't have to contribute to the costs of anything. If people don't pay at least a nominal amount into the running of the state, they have no appreciation for how well their money is being spent, why would they election politicians that spend the money wisely when it's other people's money.

A "Tory" government pursuing this sort of policy is crazy, it means almost half the votes only see the downside of austerity, they don't pay any taxes so tax cuts don't mean anything to them, they just see they are getting less services. How do you interest a population in the value of being careful with the national bank balance when half of them are not footing the bill.

Much as it pains me to say it, Gordon Brown was on the right track with his starting 10% tax rate, hell make it 5% if necessary, but at least that way people feel they are making a contribution to society, and have an interest in that contribution being used wisely.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    Even when making silly comments its best to check the facts first.

1973 UK joins EEC
    1974 Three day week
    1976 IMF crisis
    1979 Winter of Discontent

:wink:
  • Options

DavidL said:

What it highlights to me is we clearly have far too many people being paid very little or not working, and there isn't an easy way to fix the former.
    If I was a labour market economist I might speculate what the effect of making the supply of labour almost infinitely elastic might be but thankfully I don't understand these things.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    So, nothing to do with finding a lot of oil in the North Sea then? Or Maggie? Just the munificent EU. We are truly not worthy.
    Was down, to Callaghan, Healey, and Thatcher.

I saw some stats on twitter last week, economically we truly were a basket case in the 70s, and the EC was performing much better than us, which was one of the reasons we voted to Remain in 1975.

Now the stats are the other way around.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    Even when making silly comments its best to check the facts first.

1973 UK joins EEC
    1974 Three day week
    1976 IMF crisis
    1979 Winter of Discontent

:wink:
    I didn't say it was an overnight transformation!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    EU > Maggie? What kind of a Tory are you? D:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    Look under the blue suit, there is probably yellow underwear :D
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What it highlights to me is we clearly have far too many people being paid very little or not working, and there isn't an easy way to fix the former.
    If I was a labour market economist I might speculate what the effect of making the supply of labour almost infinitely elastic might be but thankfully I don't understand these things.
    Could it also be further evidence that minimum wage is effectively maximum wage for many low / semi skilled jobs. Retail, Call Centre, Warehousing, etc all pay minimum wage plus a little bit..With a massive supply of labour and a mark in the sand at which they pay just above it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You could also argue that many of the income tax payers will still be net recipients of government spending either through being employed by the government and/or being in receipt of other government spending.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Indigo said:

This is idiocy, no wonder people believe in the magic money tree when they don't have to contribute to the costs of anything. If people don't pay at least a nominal amount into the running of the state, they have no appreciation for how well their money is being spent, why would they election politicians that spend the money wisely when it's other people's money.

A "Tory" government pursuing this sort of policy is crazy, it means almost half the votes only see the downside of austerity, they don't pay any taxes so tax cuts don't mean anything to them, they just see they are getting less services. How do you interest a population in the value of being careful with the national bank balance when half of them are not footing the bill.

Much as it pains me to say it, Gordon Brown was on the right track with his starting 10% tax rate, hell make it 5% if necessary, but at least that way people feel they are making a contribution to society, and have an interest in that contribution being used wisely.
    I agree. Everybody should have some stake in what the government of the day is spending - and not just on the receiving end.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    It was a joke. Was out canvassing and met a Tory voter, who would make Ken Clarke look like Bill Cash.
  • Options
    CNN has started their coverage - big picture will be a big night for Hillary, a bigger night for Trump.
  • Options
    On topic excellent piece Pulpstar, pleasure to publish it
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Pulpstar said:

CNN has started their coverage - big picture will be a big night for Hillary, a bigger night for Trump.

Cue 5hrs of teaser exit polls, where we are told what percentage of left handed half latino / half african american OAPs, whose favourite food is rice and beans, have voted.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    Really, we weren't. We'd just lost the Empire, and were facing a savage war in Northern Ireland. And so, we'd gone from top dog to very important dog in a generation. In reality, 1970's Britain was one of the best places in the World to live in, as Britain is today.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If it's infinitely elastic at the subsistence wage then you put rocket boosters on growth (cf. W. A. Lewis's model)
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    Pulpstar said:

Lol

Scott Adams called it.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/143431313681/the-unfavorability-illusion
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC

I saw some stats on twitter last week, economically we truly were a basket case in the 70s, and the EC was performing much better than us, which was one of the reasons we voted to Remain in 1975.

The EEC certainly did much better than us from the Treaty of Rome to 1975. This was partly because it was, as Robert said this morning, a protectionist racket, and quite a successful one at that. But it was the 80s before we got our act together.
  • Options
    Wonder who'll be the biggest win in terms of a single state.

2 months ago you'd have put your house on Clinton - Maryland, but Rhode Island could be bigger for Trump than Maryland - Clinton.
  • Options
    Not sure we need to bother with the front pages this evening....I think we all know what they will all be.
  • Options
    The schtick from the Kasich camp is laughable - target is to catch up to.........

You've guessed it

Marco Rubio !
  • Options
    Fat Rolando looks HUGGGEEEEEE on my massive flat screen tv....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    Really, we weren't. We'd just lost the Empire, and were facing a savage war in Northern Ireland. And so, we'd gone from top dog to very important dog in a generation. In reality, 1970's Britain was one of the best places in the World to live in, as Britain is today.

I was born right at the end of the 70s, I only go by what people tell me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL in "mildly unflattering comment about Osborne" SHOCK

;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC

The EEC certainly did much better than us from the Treaty of Rome to 1975. This was partly because it was, as Robert said this morning, a protectionist racket, and quite a successful one at that. But it was the 80s before we got our act together.
    In the 1970's, the World (economically) consisted of North America, Western Europe, Japan, Australia, and not much else.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    No we didn't. Even you are not dumb enough to believe that. We joined and remained the sick man of Europe until we elected a leader who was willing and able to deal with the issues. Being in the EEC at the time had Sweet FA to do with it.
    It was a joke, in response to DavidL's and Robert's joke.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

;)
    Damn. And you waited until my 6 minutes were up. Trapped for posterity. What do I do now?
  • Options
    LondonBob said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol

Scott Adams called it.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/143431313681/the-unfavorability-illusion
    That is a really good link. Spot on in my opinion (checks again slips for Trump for POTUS).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

;)
    Damn. And you waited until my 6 minutes were up. Trapped for posterity. What do I do now?
    You give into your urges and apply for your Labour Momentum membership
  • Options
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

;)

Blame it on auto-correct?

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Not another "Tuesday".
    At least it's not "Super Tuesday IV" like on CNN.
  • Options
    Pop quiz PBers.

Can you name the 3 Labour Prime Ministers who had the first name James.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    It was a joke. Was out canvassing and met a Tory voter, who would make Ken Clarke look like Bill Cash.
    Don't worry, I was joking too, it's hard to convey it over the internet!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC

I was born right at the end of the 70s, I only go by what people tell me.
    The Smiley/Kara novels give a good indication of the mindset of many right-wingers at the time "Poor dears, trained to rule the Empire, trained to rule the waves". And, seeing it all taken away. It led people to overlook the fact that the UK was becoming ever more prosperous, and still quite capable of packing a punch (as the Argentinians and IRA were to discover).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Trump should clear 50% in Connecticut once you factor Don't Knows, and as a closed primary. It's a decent chunk of delegates if he makes it across the board.

I agree with 9/10 (that's 2 + 7/8 statewide) for RI.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631

Pop quiz PBers.

Not Leonard James Callaghan, that's for sure. James Gordon Brown springs to mind.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Pop quiz PBers.

That's a trick question, one of their first names is probably more correct.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pop quiz PBers.

Not Leonard James Callaghan, that's for sure. James Gordon Brown springs to mind.
    Correct, Callaghan doesn't count.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214

Pop quiz PBers.

Presumably MacDonald, Wilson and Brown?

• Options
    JohnO said:

Pop quiz PBers.

Presumably MacDonald, Wilson and Brown?

JohnO wins!

James Ramsay MacDonald, James Harold Wilson, and James Gordon Brown.

Leonard James Callaghan doesn't count, which is amusing as he was the only one who went by the name James.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Pop quiz PBers.

Gordon, Jim and Harold if I'm not mistaken.

Booo, tricked by TSE. :disappointed:
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    James David Cameron ?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    If you rule out CR Attlee, Blair, and Callaghan (second name) that's all you have left!!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Trump should clear 50% in Connecticut once you factor Don't Knows, and as a closed primary. It's a decent chunk of delegates if he makes it across the board.

I agree with 9/10 (that's 2 + 7/8 statewide) for RI.

The more I run up the possibilities (including the fact that Trump could lose some delegates in West Virginia because of some truly arcane rules) the more important Indiana becomes. The central forecast of ~35 has an error margin +/- 15, which carried through to CA makes a big difference.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"James" Corbyn to be next?

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    MP_SE said:

A rather important point that Breitbart unaccountably seem to have omitted is that the report is, in fact, not on proposed benefits of the TTIP.

It's on an analysis of one proposed chapter - an Investment Protection Chapter.

It's a rather strange conflation by Breitbart, especially as the first sentence of the introduction of the report (as anyone who clicks through to it can see) states "This report assesses the likely costs and benefits for the United Kingdom (UK) of an investment protection chapter in a proposed free trade agreement between the European Union (EU) and the United States (US)."

One would almost think that Breitbart have a slant they wish to promote.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC
    It was a joke, in response to DavidL's and Robert's joke.
    It is a claim that was repeated to me almost word for word when I was on a Leave stall in Newark a couple of weeks ago. Along with the idiocy that the EU prevented war in Europe.

No claim is too dumb for some Remain supporters at the moment.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC

Growth was higher in the 1970s:

1970-1979 2.6%pa
    2000-2009 1.9%pa
    2010-2015 2.0%pa

http://web.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=IHYP&dataset=pn2&table-id=C2

It was also an era of higher productivity growth and increasing home ownership.

There were many things wrong with the 1970s but we tend to be complacent about how successful we are now.

• Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Very interesting thanks.

Huzzah for the EC

Growth was higher in the 1970s:

1970-1979 2.6%pa
    2000-2009 1.9%pa
    2010-2015 2.0%pa

http://web.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=IHYP&dataset=pn2&table-id=C2

It was also an era of higher productivity growth and increasing home ownership.

There were many things wrong with the 1970s but we tend to be complacent about how successful we are now.

The metrics used wasn't just growth, things like industrial days lost to strike, unemployment etc.
  • Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-clinton-supporters-go-out-to-you

A audience member who said he backs Sanders' candidacy asked the senator whether he will encourage his supporters to back Clinton if she wins the nomination.

"We’re not a movement where I can snap my fingers and say to you or to anybody else what you should do, that you should all listen to me. You shouldn’t. You make these decisions yourself," Sanders replied.

He then said that Clinton will have to court his supporters herself.

"And if Secretary Clinton wins, it is incumbent upon her to tell millions of people who right now do not believe in establishment politics or establishment economics, who have serious misgivings about a candidate who has received millions of dollars from Wall Street and other special interests," he said. "She has got to go out to you."

Ruh roh.
This discussion has been closed.